PDA

View Full Version : NHC Martinez gets Everton job

Stevie Reid
05-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Be very interested to see how he does - a very likeable guy who rightly gets praised for his style of football, but Wigan weren't perennial escape artists prior to his arrival: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22750453

Wilson
05-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Don't rate him personally. Seems to be better rated in the media than his record justifies. Not an impressive appointment imho.

LancashireHibby
05-06-2013, 02:27 PM
He'll be fine. Moyes didn't win anything at Everton and ended up getting the biggest job in the land!

MB62
05-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Not unhappy with that appointment. Only time will tell how good he is, just like any other manager, e.g. Moyes at Utd.

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Lots of Evertonians will now get their wish for a brand of football that they have craved.

HibbyAndy
05-06-2013, 02:37 PM
They wont get top 4.

They wont drop below 10th.

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2013, 02:39 PM
They wont get top 4.

They wont drop below 10th.

That sounds like Liverpool you are talking about :greengrin

pacorosssco
05-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Be very interested to see how he does - a very likeable guy who rightly gets praised for his style of football, but Wigan weren't perennial escape artists prior to his arrival: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22750453

Agreed may turn out to be bad appointment.

Hard to tell now with managers and a lot is do with being lucky. Look at Micheal Laudrup sacked in his last two posts prior to Swansea. What else can he do after first season there? Then other manager like hate to say it O'Neil who outwith Sunderland 15 years of success but cant get a big job. Steve Bruce had a better Wigan team. Also if he is keen to recruit from Wigan while they have good players they have been relegated and are unlikely to enhance current Everton first team.

Look at Steve Clark if what we read was true interviewed for Hibs job and within two years taking West Brom to best finish in decades. Same applies for him though. What next. Look at Pulis.....

southsider
05-06-2013, 02:45 PM
I like Everton, wore a Hibs strip down to a game (a few years ago mind) and it went down well.

HibbyAndy
05-06-2013, 02:47 PM
:greengrin

If Liverpool lose Saurez it will be bottom 3

:Ummm:

green.and.white
05-06-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm unsure about Martinez. Did he do a fantastic job keeping Wigan 17th in the league each year, punching above their weight playing in the PL? Or was he poor in not progressing the club forward at all? Leaning toward the first one due to the cup win but time will tell

CallumLaidlaw
05-06-2013, 03:18 PM
I'm fairly satisfied with the appointment. He plays good football and already has a much better defence than he had at Wigan. Don't know who else they could have appointed. Certainly a relief after the Neil Lennon rumour!!

pacorosssco
05-06-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm fairly satisfied with the appointment. He plays good football and already has a much better defence than he had at Wigan. Don't know who else they could have appointed. Certainly a relief after the Neil Lennon rumour!!

he built the defence at wigan and gave gary caldwell 30k a week

Stringer
05-06-2013, 03:22 PM
That sounds like Liverpool you are talking about :greengrin

Its Liverpool's year.:wink:

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Its Liverpool's year.:wink:

If only!

LeighLoyal
05-06-2013, 03:57 PM
he built the defence at wigan and gave gary caldwell 30k a week

I heard it was £40k. To be fair he was good last season, back to his bombscare routine this.

JohnStephens91
05-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Step down in clubs, Wigan are a much better club who actually succeeded in winning trophies, don't see why he has gone to Goodison.

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Step down in clubs, Wigan are a much better club who actually succeeded in winning trophies, don't see why he has gone to Goodison.

:tee hee: As much as I'd like to agree with you that's nonsense, but I think you know that. :wink:

JohnStephens91
05-06-2013, 08:54 PM
:tee hee: As much as I'd like to agree with you that's nonsense, but I think you know that. :wink:

I was too late casting the bait on here. My boss is an Everton fan and not only took the bait earlier at work, he went off with the rod too :tee hee:

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2013, 09:25 PM
I was too late casting the bait on here. My boss is an Everton fan and not only took the bait earlier at work, he went off with the rod too :tee hee:

:greengrin

weecounty hibby
05-06-2013, 09:34 PM
I'm a bit disappointed with him. Not sure he will see out the four years. Hope I'm wrong as the premier club on merseyside again deserve the best and not someone used to scrapping at the bottom of the league

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2013, 09:36 PM
I'm a bit disappointed with him. Not sure he will see out the four years. Hope I'm wrong as the premier club on merseyside again deserve the best and not someone used to scrapping at the bottom of the league

I'm not biting :greengrin

weecounty hibby
05-06-2013, 09:38 PM
I'm not biting :greengrin

Aw c'mon!!

JohnStephens91
05-06-2013, 09:44 PM
It surprises me how many Everton supporters there actually are in Edinburgh, I know of at least four and apparently a bus travels down every now and then to a match. When the 2009 FA Cup final was on I noticed a lot of people walking around Edinburgh with their Everton shirts on, I never would have imagined they had many fans here because of lack of success and it's fairly far to travel to compared to Newcastle who are not very successful but have supporters in Edinburgh.

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2013, 09:48 PM
It surprises me how many Everton supporters there actually are in Edinburgh, I know of at least four and apparently a bus travels down every now and then to a match. When the 2009 FA Cup final was on I noticed a lot of people walking around Edinburgh with their Everton shirts on, I never would have imagined they had many fans here because of lack of success and it's fairly far to travel to compared to Newcastle who are not very successful but have supporters in Edinburgh.

I know of three, funny enough they are all Jambo's with no actual links to Merseyside.

JohnStephens91
05-06-2013, 09:57 PM
I know of three, funny enough they are all Jambo's with no actual links to Merseyside.

All of the ones I know have no links to Merseyside, then again neither does my dad who is a Liverpool fan (by default means I have a soft spot for Liverpool), they are a Morton fan, a Celtic fan, and two Hearts fans, although one claims not to be anymore for some reason but always revels in a Hibs defeat. Not to worry though, this beer sums up Everton fans:

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2013, 10:03 PM
All of the ones I know have no links to Merseyside, then again neither does my dad who is a Liverpool fan (by default means I have a soft spot for Liverpool), they are a Morton fan, a Celtic fan, and two Hearts fans, although one claims not to be anymore for some reason but always revels in a Hibs defeat. Not to worry though, this beer sums up Everton fans:

:greengrin Spot on.

HH81
05-06-2013, 10:06 PM

Who is your English team?

JohnStephens91
05-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Who is your English team?

My dad used to watch Liverpool, so by default I like to see Liverpool do well as it was what I grew up around, I don't really 'support' them as I do with Hibs because I have no emotional or family links directly to Merseyside or the city.

Hibernia&Alba
05-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Only time will tell. It isn't an easy job. Everton are a bit club but lack the finances to really challenge for the league title or even top four. Expectations are always likely to be greater than that which can be delivered. No easy task to keep them punching above their weight as Moyes did.

Loopz
05-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Out for a pint in Corstorphine tonight with a good Hibs season ticket holder friend who is an Everton fan. A relation if Kevin Ratcliffe.

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2013, 06:47 AM
Out for a pint in Corstorphine tonight with a good Hibs season ticket holder friend who is an Everton fan. A relation if Kevin Ratcliffe.

Evertonians loose in Corstorphine what ever next, will have to keep my eyes peeled. Ratcliffe was a great servant to Everton, was exceptionally quick but never managed to keep Rushie quiet. :greengrin

heretoday
06-06-2013, 08:54 AM
It'll be good for the Toffees to finally get down to business after the Kenwright/Whelan old boys show recently. Saddling Martinez with the Champions League remark was a master stroke was it not?

If RM can tempt some of Wigan's bright young things to follow him to Goodison that would be a bonus. They can have the likes of Naismith and Jelavic in return.

PS - I am not the aforesaid Corstorphinite!