PDA

View Full Version : NHC Quebec FA bans Sikh kids

NAE NOOKIE
04-06-2013, 09:24 PM
The Quebec Soccer Federation have banned Sikh kids from playing in their youth leagues because according to them Turbans are a safety hazard. The Sikhs have protested but have been told by the QSF "if they want to play they can do it in their back yard"

Are there any Sikhs, health and safety officers, or FIFA accredited refs on this site who can enlighten me as to why I shouldnt be thinking that the QSF are anything other than a bunch of bigoted A Holes.

Thanks

frazeHFC
04-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Can't see how they would be a safety hazard in any way, unless you get so hot you pass out! If anything you'd think they would be of disadvantage during a football game.

Devilstorment
04-06-2013, 09:37 PM
the only possible argument that i think they could try and give would be along the lines of how long the turbans are, if memory serves they are pretty big (4 - 5 meters) so could potentially be a "hazard" if they were to unravel during the game??

.... sounds like a load of tosh

Killiehibbie
04-06-2013, 09:39 PM
the only possible argument that i think they could try and give would be along the lines of how long the turbans are, if memory serves they are pretty big (4 - 5 meters) so could potentially be a "hazard" if they were to unravel during the game??

.... sounds like a load of toshAbout as much of a health hazard as your boot laces coming undone, probably even less.

Hibernia&Alba
04-06-2013, 09:42 PM
What a bizarre story. I'm sure many Quebec lawyers will be rubbing their hands together.

Jonnyboy
04-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Apparently they're not sure turbans are a safety hazard and don't have the money to conduct tests.

Seriously stupid decision IMO

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22771425

Devilstorment
04-06-2013, 09:45 PM
About as much of a health hazard as your boot laces coming undone, probably even less.

yup!

I am good pals with a Sikh who doesn't wear a turban and I asked him why not, he said it takes an age to put it on in the morning and he was too lazy to have to get up at like 5 in the morning. Maybe the QFA are worried about delays in play and having to add on obscene amounts of stoppage time (Celtic and Rangers will be getting their players kitted out with turbans just incase :wink:)

Jonnyboy
04-06-2013, 09:46 PM
yup!

I am good pals with a Sikh who doesn't wear a turban and I asked him why not, he said it takes an age to put it on in the morning and he was too lazy to have to get up at like 5 in the morning. Maybe the QFA are worried about delays in play and having to add on obscene amounts of stoppage time (Celtic and Rangers will be getting their players kitted out with turbans just incase :wink:)

See my post and link buddy :agree:

You have to wonder why now? Surely turban wearing Sikh kids have been playing 'soccer' for years?

Devilstorment
04-06-2013, 09:52 PM
See my post and link buddy :agree:

You have to wonder why now? Surely turban wearing Sikh kids have been playing 'soccer' for years?

Exactly if they had had a spate of injuries from folk's tripping over their turbans whilst playing 'soccer' then you could maybe understand but to give a flimsy reason of:

""The point is we don't know and because we don't know we don't want to take any chances," she said."

.... surely this is a wind up!! they don't want to take any chances?!?!

monktonharp
04-06-2013, 09:58 PM
what a pile o' keek. agree about the concept that it's as bad as yer bitlace coming undone. wee guy that drinks in my local is a Sikh. he wore his hibs scarf as a turban to Hampden a few years back and it looked the biz, a Leither tae, and proud of it.

Teapot
04-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Disgraceful. Footballs a great way of mixing different cultures and religions. This is a completely backwards step.

Jones28
04-06-2013, 11:04 PM
Ridiculous. Nothing more needs said IMO.

Hibercelona
04-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Racists. :agree:

Woody70x2
04-06-2013, 11:19 PM
To be honest I understand the safety reasons... It is similar to the fact that you are not allowed to wear jewellery like necklaces and rings... They could injure an opponent. Imagine getting ravelled up in one of those 5 foot long turbans. Could choke you to death...

Green Man
05-06-2013, 07:38 AM
I used to play fives with a guy who wore a turban. One time it got knocked off. He picked it up and put it back on. That's the most dangerous turban-related incident I ever saw.

cocopops1875
05-06-2013, 08:06 AM
Played football with and against Sikh Lads for years and can honestly say none of them ever wore a traditional turban to play football in, most if not all just had a top knot and a bandana type scarf covering it

StevieC
05-06-2013, 08:08 AM
Won't they provide an unfair advantage for headers?

Pretty Boy
05-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Played football with and against Sikh Lads for years and can honestly say none of them ever wore a traditional turban to play football in, most if not all just had a top knot and a bandana type scarf covering it

Same with me.

Play 5s regularly with 2 Sikh guys and both wear a navy bandana thing as opposed to a turban. According to them a full turban would be too heavy to play in.

Sylar
05-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Racists. :agree:

Not to be pedantic but Sikh's are followers of Sikhism - not a race of people.

Hibbyradge
05-06-2013, 08:49 AM
To be honest I understand the safety reasons... It is similar to the fact that you are not allowed to wear jewellery like necklaces and rings... They could injure an opponent. Imagine getting ravelled up in one of those 5 foot long turbans. Could choke you to death...

:faf:

Malthibby
05-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Sikhists.....
Just total bxllxcks, isn't it.
Why an't people just embrace other cultures.
Stupid French Canucks.

Andy74
05-06-2013, 10:24 AM
The Quebec Soccer Federation have banned Sikh kids from playing in their youth leagues because according to them Turbans are a safety hazard. The Sikhs have protested but have been told by the QSF "if they want to play they can do it in their back yard"

Are there any Sikhs, health and safety officers, or FIFA accredited refs on this site who can enlighten me as to why I shouldnt be thinking that the QSF are anything other than a bunch of bigoted A Holes.

Thanks

Surely football is entitled to ensure that standard kit is worn? What other cultural or religious dress is expected to be incorporated into on field wear?

If your beliefs don't allow you to do something comfortably or within its rules of what you can and can't wear then that's your choice surely?

Beefster
05-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Surely football is entitled to ensure that standard kit is worn? What other cultural or religious dress is expected to be incorporated into on field wear?

If your beliefs don't allow you to do something comfortably or within its rules of what you can and can't wear then that's your choice surely?

"The decision to uphold the ban comes despite a ruling by the Canadian Soccer Association allowing hijabs, or Islamic headscarves, as well as turbans, on the pitch."

Canadian football has decided on what is allowed to be worn.

FriendofDurutti
05-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Andy74 - where in the rules of football does it ban wearing hats? Goalies wear caps, what possible reason could there be to ban someone wearing some cloth wrapped round their hair?

cocopops1875
05-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Andy74 - where in the rules of football does it ban wearing hats? Goalies wear caps, what possible reason could there be to ban someone wearing some cloth wrapped round their hair?

I believe it is only goalies who are permitted to wear a cap, that said one of the many Sodji's used to wear his green and white head scarf

Sylar
05-06-2013, 11:10 AM

Perhaps for the same reason that necklaces are prohibited - It provides opposition players with something to grab and pull at head height which can cause serious injury to the head/neck area?

That's a reach, granted and not in any way shape or form intended to sound like a defending argument.

LeighLoyal
05-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Lucky for them Sikh's don't issue fatwas.

neilmartinrocks
05-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Had a guy at school Gundbar Singh was not allowed to wear the full monty turban while playing footy rugby hockey and had to wear a lightweight bandana type thingy instead. Could wear it for cricket though just not for contact sports. And that was in the 70,s.

clerriehibs
05-06-2013, 11:47 AM

Worked for a while in bradford, and any of the sikh guys involved in sport wore what you describe. Not entirely sure this is just an attitude problem on the QFA side.

NOLA
05-06-2013, 12:58 PM
The poor kids must be seek

scuttle
05-06-2013, 01:04 PM
As long as they remove the kirpan and kangha there would be no difference to the likes of Peter Cechs headgear or Robbie Savages hair. A lot of kids in this country wear wooly hats etc when playing in the winter.

pacorosssco
05-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Expect FIFA to dish out a fine no more expensive than a side order over to the next blatter

FIFA against racism.

Keith_M
05-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Expect FIFA to dish out a fine no more expensive than a side order over to the next blatter

FIFA against racism.

I believe this would fall under Religious Discrimination, as 'Sikh' is not a race.

Actually, aren't Sikhs supposed to carry a ceremonial dagger on their person at all times as well?

:dunno:

Or have I got this mixed up with Glasgow Neds?

EDIT: Just read this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirpan) online...

"Although not all those who identify themselves as Sikhs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikh) carry a kirpan, it is one of the five articles of faith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Ks) required to be worn by baptized (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalsa) Sikhs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikh)."

.... I presume that's already banned by the FA but surely that would also count as discrimination.

Andy74
05-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Seeing as there aren't any Gods it's all a bit daft. :wink:

Pretty Boy
05-06-2013, 03:10 PM

Oh lucky us, your ignorant islamaphobia is spreading from the holy ground to the main board.

Beefster
05-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Oh lucky us, your ignorant islamaphobia is spreading from the holy ground to the main board.

You've just saved me from typing something similar.

sadtom
05-06-2013, 04:50 PM
I think the original post that quoted "they can do it in their own back yard" tells you every thing you need to know about this disgraceful decision. It has nowt to do with 'saftey' or gaining an advantage and everything to do with somebody being a bigoted tw@t.
If a turban is dangerous or advantageous then i fully expect fifa/eufa to be having a quick word in the shell-like of Marouane Fellaini!!

NAE NOOKIE
05-06-2013, 05:30 PM
As far as I am aware Sikhs are obligated not to cut their hair, as opposed to having an obligation to wear a turban.

Mind you I used to think watching Ruud Gullit that he could put some centre halfs eye out with his dreadlocks. So perhaps there could be some compromise reached regarding headwear.

Still dont think the Quebec FA are trying hard enough to do this.

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2013, 06:13 PM

Thanks

Have they banned Sikh kids from playing in the league or just told them that they can't wear a turban when playing?

NAE NOOKIE
05-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Have they banned Sikh kids from playing in the league or just told them that they can't wear a turban when playing?

Theres the rub:

If as a Sikh you have to wear a turban then in effect they have banned the kids from playing. If there is an alternative to wearing a turban when playing sports which is acceptable to the authorities and the Sikh community but the Sikhs in Quebec have decided not to go for it then there is fault on both sides.

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Theres the rub:

If as a Sikh you have to wear a turban then in effect they have banned the kids from playing. If there is an alternative to wearing a turban when playing sports which is acceptable to the authorities and the Sikh community but the Sikhs in Quebec have decided not to go for it then there is fault on both sides.

It appears that may well be the case, not as straight forward as I first thought is this story.

clerriehibs
05-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Theres the rub:

they don't have to wear a turban.

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2013, 06:44 PM
they don't have to wear a turban.

So in effect they have not been banned from playing football?

clerriehibs
05-06-2013, 06:47 PM
In fact, the insistance on wearing a turban might signify a lingering sense of class bigotry ...

http://www.realsikhism.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1248365083&ucat=7

nonshinyfinish
05-06-2013, 07:12 PM
I believe this would fall under Religious Discrimination, as 'Sikh' is not a race.

Actually, aren't Sikhs supposed to carry a ceremonial dagger on their person at all times as well?

:dunno:

Or have I got this mixed up with Glasgow Neds?

EDIT: Just read this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirpan) online...

"Although not all those who identify themselves as Sikhs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikh) carry a kirpan, it is one of the five articles of faith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Ks) required to be worn by baptized (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalsa) Sikhs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikh)."

.... I presume that's already banned by the FA but surely that would also count as discrimination.

IMO, banning some 'equipment', religious or otherwise, because of a genuine safety concern (e.g., a dagger) is not discriminatory. However, if they invent spurious safety fears relating to some religion-specific garb, then that tends to whiff of discrimination.

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2013, 07:15 PM
IMO, banning some 'equipment', religious or otherwise, because of a genuine safety concern (e.g., a dagger) is not discriminatory. However, if they invent spurious safety fears relating to some religion-specific garb, then that tends to whiff of discrimination.

Are you allowed to wear a turban in the SPL or the EPL?

nonshinyfinish
05-06-2013, 07:18 PM

Don't know.

hibsbollah
05-06-2013, 07:22 PM

Not sure. The EDL might frown on them though.

:tumble:

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2013, 07:24 PM

LeighLoyal will be along to confirm that shortly.

cocopops1875
05-06-2013, 07:57 PM

Would imagine that it would have to be approved by the beaks at the SPL/EPL as face masks and headwear for injury have to be, I assume there has not been a test case thus far but think the Sodji example would be used :agree:

Jonnyboy
05-06-2013, 09:08 PM

You really are a (insert favourite personal insult here) aren't you?

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2013, 09:22 PM
You really are a (insert favourite personal insult here) aren't you?

:tee hee: This thread could cover 10 pages if we all take a turn to insert our favourite insult. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
05-06-2013, 09:23 PM
:tee hee: This thread could cover 10 pages if we all take a turn to insert our favourite insult. :greengrin

:greengrin

CropleyWasGod
05-06-2013, 09:23 PM

Yam.

Thread closed :greengrin

Eyrie
05-06-2013, 09:43 PM

That is grounds for making them compulsory.

--------
05-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Apparently they're not sure turbans are a safety hazard and don't have the money to conduct tests.

Seriously stupid decision IMO

:agree:

In a conference call on Monday, Brigitte Frot, the director general of the Quebec Soccer Federation, was asked what would happen if a five-year-old Sikh player were to register to play with his friends.

"They can play in their backyard," Ms Frot said, "but not with official referees, not in the official rules of soccer. They have no choice."

Ms Frot told reporters the federation had not conducted safety studies on turbans, as the organisation did not have money for one. She was unaware of any related injuries in the province's leagues.

"The point is we don't know and because we don't know we don't want to take any chances," she said.

I have relatives in Ontario, and I'll need to get in touch and find out what's so special about Quebec as opposed to the rest of Canada, that makes a turban so specially deadly in that province and that province alone ...

Just a thought - do Sikh kids in Quebec play hockey? Because if they banned everything about THAT sport that constitutes a safety hazard, there wouldn't be any sport left. No long whippy hurty-hurty hockey-sticks, no nasty hard pucks, no horrible slippy ice, and nobody allowed to skate faster than a moderate walking-pace.

Sikhs manage to play all sorts of sports without a problem, including rugby union, wrestling, cricket, and hockey, both the field kind and the real kind. Who will break the conspiracy of silence about the multitude of serious injuries that must be caused year by year by those Sikhs' lethal head-coverings?

This I think is a move by the Parti Quebecois to catch votes from people who don't like ethnic minorities. I don't know what the Quebecois equivalent of the Daily Mail is, but I guess that it'll be all in favour.

neilmartinrocks
06-06-2013, 12:00 PM

In a conference call on Monday, Brigitte Frot, the director general of the Quebec Soccer Federation, was asked what would happen if a five-year-old Sikh player were to register to play with his friends.

"They can play in their backyard," Ms Frot said, "but not with official referees, not in the official rules of soccer. They have no choice."

Ms Frot told reporters the federation had not conducted safety studies on turbans, as the organisation did not have money for one. She was unaware of any related injuries in the province's leagues.

"The point is we don't know and because we don't know we don't want to take any chances," she said.

I have relatives in Ontario, and I'll need to get in touch and find out what's so special about Quebec as opposed to the rest of Canada, that makes a turban so specially deadly in that province and that province alone ...

Just a thought - do Sikh kids in Quebec play hockey? Because if they banned everything about THAT sport that constitutes a safety hazard, there wouldn't be any sport left. No long whippy hurty-hurty hockey-sticks, no nasty hard pucks, no horrible slippy ice, and nobody allowed to skate faster than a moderate walking-pace.

Sikhs manage to play all sorts of sports without a problem, including rugby union, wrestling, cricket, and hockey, both the field kind and the real kind. Who will break the conspiracy of silence about the multitude of serious injuries that must be caused year by year by those Sikhs' lethal head-coverings?

This I think is a move by the Parti Quebecois to catch votes from people who don't like ethnic minorities. I don't know what the Quebecois equivalent of the Daily Mail is, but I guess that it'll be all in favour.

Prob the National Post or P.Q. e-paper.

GREEN WARLORD
06-06-2013, 12:57 PM

Maybe he had just watched the Dispatches - Undercover Mosque video. Nasty bunch that dispatches crowd :agree:

Here's hoping the Quebec FA get heavily fined.

--------
06-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Prob the National Post or P.Q. e-paper.

Aye. There are numpties everywhere, though I think the PQ know exactly what they're up to - nothing like a bit of xenophobia to foster a separatist agenda ...

clerriehibs
07-06-2013, 09:07 PM

I can't see any Sikh kid managing to wear a turban successfully when playing rugby union, nor would they be allowed to play ice hockey without a helmet on.

neilmartinrocks
08-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Aye. There are numpties everywhere, though I think the PQ know exactly what they're up to - nothing like a bit of xenophobia to foster a separatist agenda ...

aye for a nation who seem to rely on foreigners to save their ***** every so often the dont like them very much.

the froggies I mean.

clerriehibs
08-06-2013, 02:26 PM
aye for a nation who seem to rely on foreigners to save their ***** every so often the dont like them very much.

the froggies I mean.

Saved our asses v the english imperialists

neilmartinrocks
08-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Saved our asses v the english imperialists

Ah the Auld Alliance only acted on when it suited them, we got more material help from the spanish.

The Green Goblin
08-06-2013, 03:47 PM

Or, football can practice the message of tolerance, understanding and respect that it likes to preach by not imposing a ban on something which will consequently exclude followers of a certain faith when there are no grounds for it.

deeks01
08-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Hope this doesn't cause problems for the 2022 world cup.

;)