PDA

View Full Version : Five youngsters sign one year contracts (including Forster)

AugustaHibs
04-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Hibernian can confirm that academy graduates Jordon Forster, David Gold, Paul Grant, Dean Horribine and Euan Smith have all signed new one year contracts.

Well done boys! Hope to see more breakthrough next season!

cocopops1875
04-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Only one year for Forster seems a little light IMHO

bingo70
04-06-2013, 09:41 AM

Remember he's only played a few games, lessons have maybe been learned after giving Booth a long contract.

Maybe a good idea to keep him on his toes and working hard next season, worst thing that could happen would be for him to think he's made it.

Frazerbob
04-06-2013, 09:42 AM

I would have to agree. He surely showed enough in the last few weeks of the season to suggest he's worth a few years.

Heisenberg
04-06-2013, 09:46 AM
He was offered/signed that contract way before he'd made a first team appearance was he not? Might explain why it's the same as the rest of the younger players.

Part/Time Supporter
04-06-2013, 09:49 AM
He was offered/signed that contract way before he'd made a first team appearance was he not? Might explain why it's the same as the rest of the younger players.

It was reported in April (before the derby) as a "Sky Sports understand" story that he had agreed a one year contract. But it's obviously a situation they'll need to keep an eye on if he keeps his place next season. Although the market for him may be a bit smaller than others because he has already been rejected (at 16-17) by Celtic.

Hibby Kay-Yay
04-06-2013, 09:53 AM
What about Harris?

SMAXXA
04-06-2013, 09:55 AM

:agree: I spoke to one of the mentioned players this morning and the deals were signed a few weeks ago, before Jordan came into the first team

R'Albin
04-06-2013, 10:29 AM
For youth contracts could they not have it that after x amount of appearances the clubs have the option to extend the deal with the wages being raised as well?

JimBHibees
04-06-2013, 10:34 AM
For youth contracts could they not have it that after x amount of appearances the clubs have the option to extend the deal with the wages being raised as well?

I would be surprised if there werent clauses indicating rises linked to appearances in first team type thing. Clubs should try their best to protect themselves for example if a player improves beyond recognition.

Beefster
04-06-2013, 10:45 AM
If Forster starts next season like he ended this one, they need to get him on a revised contract pronto.

Delboy4
04-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Away back when Frank noticed the young players coming through he told the board to give them 5 year deals to protect the club from losing them for nothing in the future! NOW, we have a few young players that are showing potential AND we offer them a 1 year deal...IMHO I think we should have at least offered Forster a 3 year deal as he looks a very promising player, just so we don't lose him in January on a pre-contract or the end of next season for nothing!!

IWasThere2016
04-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Away back when Frank noticed the young players coming through he told the board to give them 5 year deals to protect the club from losing them for nothing in the future! NOW, we have a few young players that are showing potential AND we offer them a 1 year deal...IMHO I think we should have at least offered Forster a 3 year deal as he looks a very promising player, just so we don't lose him in January on a pre-contract or the end of next season for nothing!!

How do you know there's not an option in the contract for Hibs to invoke?

Brooster
04-06-2013, 11:28 AM
It was reported in April (before the derby) as a "Sky Sports understand" story that he had agreed a one year contract. But it's obviously a situation they'll need to keep an eye on if he keeps his place next season. Although the market for him may be a bit smaller than others because he has already been rejected (at 16-17) by Celtic.

Are you sure he was rejected by Celtic? I thought he left Hibs to go to Celtic then returned within a year of his own accord.

scoopyboy
04-06-2013, 11:32 AM

Correctamundo.

Stevie Reid
04-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Are you sure he was rejected by Celtic? I thought he left Hibs to go to Celtic then returned within a year of his own accord.

Correctamundo.

Do you guys know if Harris has been offered/is likely to sign a longer deal?

scoopyboy
04-06-2013, 11:35 AM
What about Harris?

He is already under contract until the end of next season, the others were out of contract at the end of this season.

Hopefully it will be extended sooner rather than later though.

Stevie Reid
04-06-2013, 11:43 AM
He is already under contract until the end of next season, the others were out of contract at the end of this season.

Hopefully it will be extended sooner rather than later though.

Cheers Scoopy :aok:

Delboy4
04-06-2013, 11:46 AM
How do you know there's not an option in the contract for Hibs to invoke?

I don't know if there is but here's hoping!

oconnors_strip
04-06-2013, 11:48 AM

Jordon was at Celtic until he was 16 when he was told he wouldn't make it in to the first team, that's when hibs offered him a contract.

LeithBoozy
04-06-2013, 12:00 PM
I would feel safer If they were all on 2year deals at least, the general opinion from the coaches are there are a lot more to follow. So it would appear that the Training centre is beginning to pay dividends at last.

Billy Whizz
04-06-2013, 12:01 PM
I would feel safer If they were all on 2year deals at least, the general opinion from the coaches are there are a lot more to follow. So it would appear that the Training centre is beginning to pay dividends at last.

But they all won't make it. If we get 2 out of the 5 through as 1st team players, that would be great

--------
04-06-2013, 12:07 PM

If Forster starts next season like he ended this one, they need to get him on a revised contract pronto.

My thoughts exactly. As of right now he's one of our first-team, first-choice centre-backs.

Devilstorment
04-06-2013, 12:28 PM
the club for once is in prime position with our youngsters, we can just give them 1 year deals (low risk to us) then if someone happens to snap him up we will get compensated for him. Provided the compensation isnt peanuts its a win for us, if the lads want to move to bigger things fair enough at least we will get compensated.

basehibby
04-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Remember he's only played a few games, lessons have maybe been learned after giving Booth a long contract.

Maybe a good idea to keep him on his toes and working hard next season, worst thing that could happen would be for him to think he's made it.

I wouldn't be writting off Booth just yet - he'll be back with Hibs now after a season long loan with Livi in Div1, which I would imagine will have done him the power of good and toughened him up a bit. Would not be at all surprised to see him feature in the first team next season as he always had quality in abundance.

JimBHibees
04-06-2013, 01:07 PM
the club for once is in prime position with our youngsters, we can just give them 1 year deals (low risk to us) then if someone happens to snap him up we will get compensated for him. Provided the compensation isnt peanuts its a win for us, if the lads want to move to bigger things fair enough at least we will get compensated.

The problem with a one year deal is that any prospective buyer will tell them to sign a pre-contract in January which limits significantly any compensation which may be got.

Delboy4
04-06-2013, 02:06 PM

We wouldn't get much (TC) Training Compensation for Forster as he hasn't been at the club for long...It's fine if the boys that have been with the academy since 11 or 12, we then qualify for a good TC. That's why IMO we should be giving them a 3 year deal so if any bigger clubs come a looking, they have to buy out his contract.

Brooster
04-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Jordon was at Celtic until he was 16 when he was told he wouldn't make it in to the first team, that's when hibs offered him a contract.

Thanks. I couldnt remember his circumstances.

hfc rd
04-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Good news but having said, a bit gutted Forster was only handed a 1 year deal. If he starts the season as well as he finished the last campaign then we will be struggling to keep him as no doubt Celtic and a couple of clubs down south will be watching closely and ready to pounce.

Zazu62
04-06-2013, 04:21 PM
dont think forster getting a 1 year deal is a bad thing, keeps him on his toes .. if he wants a bigger/better deal he will have to earn it.

PeterboroHibee
04-06-2013, 05:01 PM
I can understand the reasons for giving them 1 year deals but Id feel more comfortable with the guys who have actually broken into the first team this season on 2 year deals, it isnt much more of a risk and protects the club.

Golden Bear
04-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Do we know for sure that longer deals were not offered by the Club? Could it be a case that all or some of the players simply opted for a one year contract?

:dunno:

Wilson
04-06-2013, 05:53 PM
We wouldn't get much (TC) Training Compensation for Forster as he hasn't been at the club for long...It's fine if the boys that have been with the academy since 11 or 12, we then qualify for a good TC. That's why IMO we should be giving them a 3 year deal so if any bigger clubs come a looking, they have to buy out his contract.

I think a 3 year deal for Forster, who has yet to be really tested, would be a bit premature. A short deal should keep him hungry. Keep him pushing for improvement.

As for the rest. They are yet to really show anything. Any more than a year is out of the question.

We all like to think we know better but the club have got it spot on with these deals imho.

Scouse Hibee
04-06-2013, 06:14 PM
I think a 3 year deal for Forster, who has yet to be really tested, would be a bit premature. A short deal should keep him hungry. Keep him pushing for improvement.

As for the rest. They are yet to really show anything. Any more than a year is out of the question.

We all like to think we know better but the club have got it spot on with these deals imho.

:agree:

Eyrie
04-06-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm relaxed about one year deals at present. If any of the players get a run in the first team on merit there is plenty of time to get an extension signed and indeed we may have an option built into their deals, just as Wolves did with Griffiths.

BEEJ
04-06-2013, 08:58 PM
:agree: I spoke to one of the mentioned players this morning and the deals were signed a few weeks ago, before Jordan came into the first team
Do we know whether they've all signed up just for extended academy contracts?

Or have any of the five taken the step up today to first team squad professional contracts with the club? It's hard to tell the way the official announcement has been worded. :confused:

Forster on a one year academy contract would worry me as other clubs would inevitably start talking to his agent. But I guess, if nothing else we can rely on RP to protect the club's best interests wth regards to our talented youngsters.

oconnors_strip
05-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Do we know whether they've all signed up just for extended academy contracts?

Or have any of the five taken the step up today to first team squad professional contracts with the club? It's hard to tell the way the official announcement has been worded. :confused:

Forster on a one year academy contract would worry me as other clubs would inevitably start talking to his agent. But I guess, if nothing else we can rely on RP to protect the club's best interests wth regards to our talented youngsters.

They all signed first team professional contracts as majority are to old for under 20s next season

skoop
05-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Good stuff from the club. Wise move giving them 1 year contracts.

allezsauzee
05-06-2013, 06:05 PM
I'm a bit surprised at Rodders. The likes of Fletch, Brown, Whittaker were all signed up on long term deals so that we could demand decent money when bigger clubs wanted to sign them. By only offering youngsters a year, they'll be free to sign pre contract agreements with other clubs in January . We'll get compensation but probably a pittance.

Part/Time Supporter
05-06-2013, 06:16 PM
I'm a bit surprised at Rodders. The likes of Fletch, Brown, Whittaker were all signed up on long term deals so that we could demand decent money when bigger clubs wanted to sign them. By only offering youngsters a year, they'll be free to sign pre contract agreements with other clubs in January . We'll get compensation but probably a pittance.

Only when they were proven first team players. These deals were all agreed before any of these players had made their debut.

allezsauzee
05-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Only when they were proven first team players. These deals were all agreed before any of these players had made their debut.

True enough. Hopefully we'll be ready with longer deals if the likes of Forster kick on next year though

Sumner
05-06-2013, 06:23 PM
One year deals ? Hope there are more Clauses in there than a convention of Santas..

Watch the best ones walk away otherwise..

One is reminded of the wisdom of Alex McLeish giving Didier Agathe a short deal
.. yeah, that one was a howler surely?..

And no, I'm not calling you Shirley.

:dunno:

sadtom
06-06-2013, 10:45 AM
Anyone know what young Sam Stanton's contract situation is?

BEEJ
06-06-2013, 11:20 AM
They all signed first team professional contracts as majority are to old for under 20s next season
Thanks, Nikki. :aok: Didn't realise that this was a hard and fast rule contract wise as I thought the u-20s were allowed to field up to two over-age players at each fixture. :cb

Anyone know what young Sam Stanton's contract situation is?

Under contract until JUNE 2015 - but as he has just turned 19 yoa, he'll likely be on an academy contract.

sadtom
06-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Thanks, Nikki. :aok: Didn't realise that this was a hard and fast rule contract wise as I thought the u-20s were allowed to field up to two over-age players at each fixture. :cb

Under contract until JUNE 2015 - but as he has just turned 19 yoa, he'll likely be on an academy contract.

Cheers BEEJ.