PDA

View Full Version : Greggs wotherspoon. has he signed for the gorgie mob?

monktonharp
03-06-2013, 03:25 PM
I just got a message, from someone who is usually correct. anyone heard os seen news of this?

pontius pilate
03-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Nope not heard anything and that would be a massive surprise given their past history of paying players. I also heard they are pushing out rumours to stave off admin until the 16th June

Scottie
03-06-2013, 03:29 PM
I just got a message, from someone who is usually correct. anyone heard os seen news of this?

WTF ?

Thought he was nailed on to go to Sevco Huns :confused:

Beefster
03-06-2013, 03:30 PM
If he can't play well at ER because the Hibs support isn't supportive enough, he'd have a blast at PBS or Castle Greyskull.

LeighLoyal
03-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Remember they signed Brian Hamilton in the 90's, Ģ300k at tribunal. :lolyam:

WestEndHibee
AFAIK this isn't happening. Although I wouldn't put it past the yams to have a go.

Baader
Heard the same thing as well...

Aldo
03-06-2013, 03:35 PM
He's only just turned 23 so we'll get a development fee for him. He signs for any team in Scotland and there will be a fee.

jacomo
03-06-2013, 03:36 PM
I'm disappointed we're not offering him another contract tbh. We're hardly well covered with attacking mid/ right mid players and although inconsistent I think there's a player there.

AlbertK86
03-06-2013, 03:36 PM
He plays at same golf club as that eejit Alan Preston so who knows wot nonsense he has put in his head

Beefster
03-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Before anyone starts panning Wotherspoon's windows in, just remember Liam Miller was a stick-on to sign for them.

NOLA
03-06-2013, 03:37 PM
He's only just turned 23 so we'll get a development fee for him. He signs for any team in Scotland and there will be a fee.

Signs for the hertz we will get 10p in the pound

Aldo
03-06-2013, 03:38 PM

Ha ha like that.

CropleyWasGod
03-06-2013, 03:38 PM

10p? That's optimistic. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
03-06-2013, 03:40 PM
You have to wonder what goes on in anyones head if they sign for that mob? Wotherspoon always seemed to me to be a level headed lad, with a sensible head on him, i wouldn't think he'd sign for them but wouldn't bother me if he did?

SunshineOnLeith
03-06-2013, 03:41 PM

Only if we've made him an offer at least equivalent to his current contract, no?

Hibernia Na Eir
03-06-2013, 03:42 PM
what the chances he plays CF at diet Huns and haunts us!! lol

Aldo
03-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Only if we've made him an offer at least equivalent to his current contract, no?

That'll be that then.

Stevie Reid
03-06-2013, 03:45 PM
I would ideally like to keep DW but he's not worth more to us than what we are paying him at the moment, and I think he will get offered more than he was on here elsewhere.

Andy74
03-06-2013, 03:46 PM
You have to wonder what goes on in anyones head if they sign for that mob? Wotherspoon always seemed to me to be a level headed lad, with a sensible head on him, i wouldn't think he'd sign for them but wouldn't bother me if he did?

Wouldn't bother me who he signed for. There's a player in there but we've had too many players over the years that the same thing has been said about. It's led to us achieving next to nothing as a result whilst we allow them their one good game every six weeks.

The Leith Dutch
03-06-2013, 03:46 PM

We may be due 10p in the pound but I highly doubt we'll ever see it :wink:

Less flippantly this would be hugely surprising on a number of different levels and can't see it happening.

Also - if we do let Wotherspoon go I'd much prefer he went out of Scotland and not just because I'd want to wish the guy well. Even if he hasn't shown it for us and even if you think he never will the guy clearly has potential and he's exactly the kind of player that'll come back to haunt us if he stays in Scotland.

greenpaper55
03-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Has he been officially released by us , in fact has anyone been officially released ?.

macca70
03-06-2013, 03:52 PM
He must be mental, if true.

He'd defo have more Clause's in his contract than Christmas though re admin, liquidation etc

pontius pilate
03-06-2013, 03:54 PM
There is heehaw on keekback they would be shouting from the rooftops at another signing if it had happened

Billy Whizz
03-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Have we offered him anything. If we haven't he's fully entitled to do what he wants

hiberactive
03-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Was told last week that he had agreed to join the tramps and also the reason for him not playing more games for us was that he would be due money for a certain amount of appearances-don't know if its true,we will wait and see!

Pretty Boy
03-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Was told last week that he had agreed to join the tramps and also the reason for him not playing more games for us was that he would be due money for a certain amount of appearances-don't know if its true,we will wait and see!

I would say it's far more likely the reason he didn't play more games for us is his inconsistency, chronic lack of pace and now customary drop in form.

Broken Gnome
03-06-2013, 04:16 PM
I heard he'd verbally agreed to join them.

NOLA
03-06-2013, 04:18 PM
There is heehaw on keekback they would be shouting from the rooftops at another signing if it had happened
those munchkins will be reading it on here and making a thread as we speak :greengrin

hfc rd
03-06-2013, 04:21 PM
He'd be absolutely stupid to sign for that mob. Personally wont really miss him as he looks absolutely nothing like the player he once was when he made his 1st team debut. But then again, he has the capabilities to come back and haunt us.

SMAXXA
03-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Wont come as a shock to most to hear I couldn't care less if he signed for them, or any other team for that matter. As long as he leaves the club at the end of the season I don't care where he goes, we need better, far to inconsistent. There's a player in there somewhere, maybe much like there was with Pallson, Osborne etc etc

California-Hibs
03-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Honestly wouldn't give a toss if he signs for them. Such an over-rated player and has been a passenger far more often than he has been an asset!

jiggerman
03-06-2013, 04:34 PM
He told a mate of mine he is joining them. I don't know if that's just verbal our actually signed but this one looks a goer.

Hibby Gav
03-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Would be surprised if he went there...especially after his reaction when he knocked them out of the cup......such a shame he couldn't be consistent and that football these days doesn't allow time.....if he goes good luck to him...unless he does end up with the roasters in which case I hope his next Number 2 is a hedgehog

GGTTH

DaveF
03-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Yep, I can see the yam bams being very receptive to the man who handed them the shortest ever Scottish Cup reign :faf:

bingo70
03-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Hope he is, not very good player imo.

Cabbage East
03-06-2013, 04:41 PM
He's not going to Hearts ffs :faf:

I think he can be a player for us, I hope he's offered a deal.

Franck Stanton
03-06-2013, 04:42 PM
To be honest, couldn't give a flying one if he left us, far too inconsistent. From reading so far seems we as a support are more worried about the "There is a player in there somewhere" than the fact we need to keep him. Stuff it, he has been given more than enough time to establish himself in the first 11 but has failed miserably so far. IF he goes elsewhere and performs, good luck to him, somehow I cannae see it. It has been said numerous times that he is a confidence player and doesn't like the stick some Hibs fans give him, aw diddums, if he goes to that mob, does he honestly think they will welcome him with open arms ? If he goes, he goes, big deal, releases some cash to bring someone else in. He wont be hard to replace.

hibs_123
03-06-2013, 04:43 PM
No one can confirm if he has definatly been told
By hibs that he is not getting offered a new contract.

We would only get a development fee if we have offered him a contract on the same wage as he is currently on or increased his wage.

Good player in there, would be a shame if he signed for that lot.

J-C
03-06-2013, 04:44 PM
If he goes, to whoever, I'll not lose any sleep, at the moment he's merely a squad player at best.

Makaveli
03-06-2013, 04:46 PM
I would be indifferent to him leaving but amused at hertz feeding on our leftovers.

hibeemikey21
03-06-2013, 04:55 PM
I would be indifferent to him leaving but amused at hertz feeding on our leftovers.

Wotherspoon leaving does not worry me in terms of hibs losing out.

Wotherspoon leaving for a rival SPL team, however, scares me because I reckon he is a shoo-in for being another beneficiary of "life after hibs syndrome" and coming back to haunt us big time.

His early season form this year demonstrated that he is an excellent SPL player on his day.

Hartley mk 2? Probably not, but you never know.

cabbageandribs1875
03-06-2013, 04:56 PM
i'm gonna miss the 'there's a player in there' and 'he's a confidence player' quips :( but, the laddie has worn the green and white of the cabbage for a few years now and i'l wish him all the best for the future(unless he's playing against us) :agree:

EdinMike
03-06-2013, 05:01 PM
His missus and her family will be furious they are all Hibs mad.. Along with his soon to be born Kid I imagine too...

big-mo
03-06-2013, 05:01 PM
He will be signing for them shortly. True Fact.

I personally liked him as a player, no world beater but a reasonable standard, I don't think he will fair well at the PBS because, as has been said before, he is a confidence player and if he does not hit the ground running, the puddle-drinkers will not take to him and they will let him know it, as a result he will only get worse.

I am just wondering if one of the reasons they want him is because of of his family bakery, they are maybe looking for him to help out with their cake bake sales?

lord bunberry
03-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Maybe the merricks are the only team to offer him a contract. I'm sure he has got bills to pay like the rest of us, did someone not say his mrs was due a baby soon, maybe staying local suits him. Still can't see it happening though

SMAXXA
03-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Wotherspoon leaving does not worry me in terms of hibs losing out.

Wotherspoon leaving for a rival SPL team, however, scares me because I reckon he is a shoo-in for being another beneficiary of "life after hibs syndrome" and coming back to haunt us big time.

His early season form this year demonstrated that he is an excellent SPL player on his day.

Hartley mk 2? Probably not, but you never know.

Other than Hartley who else has actually come back to haunt us? I think this is one of the biggest myths ever and always gets thrown out when players leave us for a rival. Who cares, he's not shown anything to worry me regardless if he goes on and does come back and do well against us.

hfc rd
03-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Other than Hartley who else has actually come back to haunt us? I think this is one of the biggest myths ever and always gets thrown out when players leave us for a rival. Who cares, he's not shown anything to worry me regardless if he goes on and does come back and do well against us.

Were we not close to signing John Robertson?

stoneyburn hibs
03-06-2013, 05:16 PM

Ivan Sproule this season

MyJo
03-06-2013, 05:17 PM

Scott Brown
Anthony Stokes
Ivan Sproule
John Rankin

And thats just this season!

SMAXXA
03-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Ivan Sproule this season

Scott Brown
Anthony Stokes
Ivan Sproule

He scored once against us, its very early doors to suggest he will come back to haunt us IMO. As for Brown and Stokes, you cant for one minute class these 2 players in the same debate, we couldn't control losing them not like we wanted to get rid of them.

lord bunberry
03-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Scott Brown
Anthony Stokes
Ivan Sproule

Stokes and brown were sold for money its hardly the same as releasing a player

MyJo
03-06-2013, 05:27 PM
He scored once against us, its very early doors to suggest he will come back to haunt us IMO. As for Brown and Stokes, you cant for one minute class these 2 players in the same debate, we couldn't control losing them not like we wanted to get rid of them.

Still falls under the "signing for a rival scottish team" banner regardless of how thier time with Hibs ended, and both players were instrumental in beating us at hampden.

And is scoring against us and costing us 3 points not haunting us?

Up The Bracket
03-06-2013, 05:28 PM
He is no great loss, no better than what we have. Possibly the most frustrating, inconsistent player that we've had at Hibs.

But if he left, he'd be guaranteed a goal against us.

Wotherspiniesta might want a username change too.

.Sean.
03-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Wouldn't bother me one bit if he signed for them. I've said numerous times on this forum he shouldn't be getting a new deal anyway.

Decent player, but far too inconsistant.

SMAXXA
03-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Still falls under the "signing for a rival scottish team" banner regardless of how thier time with Hibs ended, and both players were instrumental in beating us at hampden.

And is scoring against us and costing us 3 points not haunting us?

Its definitely not the same thing as the point around players coming back to haunt us that we get rid of, the 2 you mentioned were out of our control. And as for Ivan, no I wouldn't say him scoring the winner that beat us is evidence that he would come back and haunt us, if he scores every game / every other game against us I would change my view but far to early days to even use him as an example IMO.

FranckSuzy
03-06-2013, 05:37 PM
If he does leave, I would like to wish him well and thank him for this. For me, one of the best results at ER in recent times. All the best Spoony :aok:

http://youtu.be/JSn0M4kaDa8

NOLA
03-06-2013, 05:44 PM

Paul wright?

Pretty Boy
03-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Paul wright?

Given we replaced him with Keith Wright and, later, Darrrn Jackson I would call that good business.

Stringer
03-06-2013, 05:47 PM
I think he is played out of position. He deserves a chance at playing more centrally.

SMAXXA
03-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Paul wright?
Nope, try again :greengrin

Given we replaced him with Keith Wright and, later, Darrrn Jackson I would call that good business.

:agree:

stoneyburn hibs
03-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Its definitely not the same thing as the point around players coming back to haunt us that we get rid of, the 2 you mentioned were out of our control. And as for Ivan, no I wouldn't say him scoring the winner that beat us is evidence that he would come back and haunt us, if he scores every game / every other game against us I would change my view but far to early days to even use him as an example IMO.

Sproule scoring the winner against us is a case of a player coming back to haunt.

SMAXXA
03-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Sproule scoring the winner against us is a case of a player coming back to haunt.

Would disagree, if he keeps scoring then yes I agree, surly even John Rankin has scored against us, would class it as haunting us :wink:

Barman Stanton
03-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Nope, try again :greengrin

:agree:

It's true, it's hard to think of many that have came back to haunt us. Other than Hartley, could count Lovell in League Cup Final.

Waxy
03-06-2013, 06:11 PM
I want him to stay.
And certainly dont want him signing for the yams.

NAE NOOKIE
03-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Wont be in tears if Wotherspoon leaves ER but I would hate to see him at the Asbestos Arena just because I hate to see anybody who has kicked a ball for Hibs sink to that depth.

DW just never seems to be able to string two decent performances together, leading him to be in and out of the team, which has probably made it even more difficult for him to establish himself as a regular.

Like everybody else I can see a good player in there .... its just that it only comes out once in every 4 or 5 games and is probably why PF has left him out of 2 cup final teams.

I'm no coach, but I cant help thinking that DW's belief that he is a really good midfield player has been his downfall. For a number of games when he first came through he played at right back and did a pretty decent job of it. If he had stuck at it, in a position which has been a problem at ER since Steven Whittaker left, he could have been a fixture in the team.

Watching Wotherspoon in the seasons since then it appears to me that for a guy of his build he is pretty slow and always looks like he lacks fitness. I even sometimes wondered if there was some underlying injury or illness hampering him. Perhaps that is why he didnt want to play right back .... its a bloody hard shift if you want to be an attacking full back like the superb twosome of Whittaker and Murphy.

I would wish him good luck if he were to leave ER ........... Unless its to go to them!!!

marleyhib
03-06-2013, 06:16 PM
I think he is played out of position. He deserves a chance at playing more centrally.

I agree, seeing how his crossing has been woeful all season. Boy has got talent, can beat a man and has a great step over.

Pat doesn't obviously rate him, thats 2 cup finals in a row and he's not even been on the bench.

I'd hate to see him in a Hearts jersey but hey ho.

Wotherspiniesta
03-06-2013, 06:24 PM
http://nyobetabeat.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/brit_wtf.gif?w=160&h=160

Weir7
03-06-2013, 06:24 PM
He plays at same golf club as that eejit Alan Preston so who knows wot nonsense he has put in his head

That's his agent.

hibsbollah
03-06-2013, 06:25 PM

Ive heard this said a few times. The problem is, he HAS had a chance in the middle, after he played well for Scotland kids there, and theyve been some of his worst performances in a Hibs shirt. He actually saved his best performances for the first half of the season wide right, before losing form again, like hes done throughout his career so far.

Weir7
03-06-2013, 06:27 PM

My source tells me he's signed. Fenlon wanted him but club couldn't agree terms. ****bos ment to have offered over the odds.

Cabbage7062
03-06-2013, 06:28 PM
A player who shows he has great ability but hides when things aren't going his way. Sometimes it's almost as if he is pretending to try with half hearted attempts to win possession back/track back. I hoped he could come good this season and produce good form week in week out but has one good game out of a handful, which isn't good enough if we want to progress. If he does sign for hearts what's the bets on him having one of his good games at ER?

Green Cabbage 7
03-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Don't rate him, so would not be bothered

.Sean.
03-06-2013, 06:30 PM
That's his agent.

Thought gary Mackay was his agent.

YehButNoBut
03-06-2013, 06:31 PM
My source tells me he's signed. Fenlon wanted him but club couldn't agree terms. ****bos ment to have offered over the odds.

If they are still up to this then it's another nail in their coffin.:fenlon

carnoustiehibee
03-06-2013, 06:41 PM
He's been living the dream and not made the most of it. Either wasted or unfulfilled we can't keep carrying these players.

ColintonHibs
03-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Awful player anyway

The Voice Of Reason
03-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Hilarious if true - please let it be true :pray:

He is not very good.

Andy74
03-06-2013, 06:47 PM

If that story holds any water we'd be due compensation.

Billychaotic182
03-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Have to laugh at you lot. Linked with hearts and we get stuff like "awful player"

yet if he signs a new deal it will be "good as there is a player in there"

no wonder he wants to leave with fans as fickled as this!

SkintHibby
03-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Whether he's good or not, I hate to see any player move across the city (in either direction).:agree:

truehibernian
03-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Lewis Stevenson - crowd gets on his back, wee Lew toughs it out, never hides, always demands the ball and becomes a player of the year

Paul Hanlon - crowd gets on his back, gives him abuse from the stand, Paul toughs it out and rides the criticism and plays the best football this season he has ever done in a Hibs strip

DW - crowd gets on his back, Dee goes into his shell and form fluctuates up and down but he never ever seems to be able to put the crowd to one side and tough things out.

You can have all the skill in the world but if you are simply too sensitive or unable to blot out the crowd, you're in the wrong game.

Absolutely not condoning a negative support, but there are times I've watched DW and thought 'come on son, be brave' - and he hasn't been. I personally wouldn't want to be a full back playing behind him to be honest.

Good technical ability, good player, lacks confidence and real drive/consistency - but a lovely lad who I would wish well, even if he went to Hearts. But I want winners and brave players who want that ball even when playing badly - he doesn't fall into that category.

I posted last year that I would have 'cashed in' on DW during the Calderwood era (if we could have) - the fit just wasn't right and the crowd were getting to him back then. I don't see it causing a huge rift if he went, even to them. That says it all.

Young Alex Harris versus DW and McHattie (possibly) - good luck defending that David :aok:

PeeJay
03-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Whether he's good or not, I hate to see any player move across the city (in either direction).:agree:

It's changed days, I guess, but I don't regret AG coming over to us all those years ago - great move IMO :greengrin

Cabbage East
03-06-2013, 06:55 PM
He will be signing for them shortly. True Fact.

I personally liked him as a player, no world beater but a reasonable standard, I don't think he will fair well at the PBS because, as has been said before, he is a confidence player and if he does not hit the ground running, the puddle-drinkers will not take to him and they will let him know it, as a result he will only get worse.

I am just wondering if one of the reasons they want him is because of of his family bakery, they are maybe looking for him to help out with their cake bake sales?

Look boys, we have a true fact here, get to the bookies :agree:

Wotherspiniesta
03-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Look boys, we have a true fact here, get to the bookies :agree:

TBF, Big-Mo is usually spot on with his info.

lucky
03-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Not a fan but don't want him going there in case he actually manages to turn things around. He does have some skill but not got the pace or heart to be a decent SPL player.

Eyrie
03-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Given his inconsistency for us I'm disappointed that we offered him a new deal this early in the offseason rather than seeing if that wage could be put towards a better player.

As regards signing for the Yams, maybe dropping down a level will help him but, given he'd be at the PBS, I hope he has a year of playing absolute crap there before being freed and only finding some form once he's at another club.

Gatecrasher
03-06-2013, 07:18 PM
spoony has had his good moments with us but could never put in a decent run in the team together. I will be sad to see him go but I don't think he will be a huge loss to our squad. As for going to the Jambo's if he thinks he got it tight from us a few bad games with them and he will get it tight.

Velma Dinkley
03-06-2013, 07:20 PM
There's a confidence player in there somewhere.

Judas Iscariot
03-06-2013, 07:28 PM
I will laugh like **** if be signs for them & spend all summer perfecting my "****ing BOOOOOO" shout :aok:

Teapot
03-06-2013, 07:28 PM
He frustrates me more than any player I can remember. I think he has bags of potential and yet is consistently inconsistent.

I don't think we can afford to carry him any more. Maybe the guy himself needs a new club. But FFS not them. Can see him providing a flash of genius against us next season if he goes.

Velma Dinkley
03-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Are we still allowed to boo our players when they play for our rivals? What's the official stance on this?

Elephant Stone
03-06-2013, 07:36 PM
This would be funny.

monktonharp
03-06-2013, 07:43 PM
TBF, Big-Mo is usually spot on with his info. and TBF, with myself:greengrin I've been not far off with my rumours:wink: time will tell on this one

Squealing pig
03-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if spoony went to yams.
He's from Perth is he no prob couldn't give a hoot abt hibs or hearts and it shows on the field. Their loss our gain I say.
The lad just wants to play football his heart isn't in the club.

BSEJVT
03-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Heart of a mouse

Absolute ****bag in a tackle

Hopeless at tracking back and loses concentration far too easily

Has some ability but shown all too infrequently and as slow as a week in jail.

I think we can do better

sven nil
03-06-2013, 08:05 PM
[QUOTE=monktonharp;3631125]I just got a message, from someone who is usually correct. anyone heard os seen news of this?[/QUOT

Cant see it happening ,its like going on the titanic,as the deckchairs slide into the sea

GlenrothesHibee
03-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Thing is with Spoony, he isn't going to get any better. We know what he's all about and he still can't hold down a regular place. Think it would be better for both parties if he moved on. Free's up a wage for Pat. Would be a shame if he went to them though.

JIm
03-06-2013, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=monktonharp;3631125]I just got a message, from someone who is usually correct. anyone heard os seen news of this?[/QUOT

Cant see it happening ,its like going on the titanic,as the deckchairs slide into the sea

Its happening alright.............cant blame him after the offer Hibs made him.

I'm personally disappointed, think he has a lot to offer at times, the amount of goals he has set up this year (for someone who doesn't contribute enough) is actually pretty good in fact it would be very interesting to see his stats for this year and how many he actually has contributed to.

JIm
03-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Thing is with Spoony, he isn't going to get any better. We know what he's all about and he still can't hold down a regular place. Think it would be better for both parties if he moved on. Free's up a wage for Pat. Would be a shame if he went to them though.

Really? He's 22 years old............

YehButNoBut
03-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Think he's more likely to end up at St Johnstone.

DaveF
03-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Heart of a mouse

Absolute ****bag in a tackle

Hopeless at tracking back and loses concentration far too easily

Has some ability but shown all too infrequently and as slow as a week in jail.

Do you want to list his bad points now :greengrin

SMAXXA
03-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Think he's more likely to end up at St Johnstone.

Wouldn't get a top 6 team :wink:

YehButNoBut
03-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Wouldn't get a top 6 team :wink:

They won't be next season...........................IMO :greengrin

SMAXXA
03-06-2013, 09:12 PM
They won't be next season...........................IMO :greengrin

I concur :agree:

blackpoolhibs
03-06-2013, 09:20 PM
If you are picking your team, apart from the odd numpty, he'd not be in 99% of the Hibs supporters team, or indeed the managers. :tin hat:

ColintonHibs
03-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Have to laugh at you lot. Linked with hearts and we get stuff like "awful player"

yet if he signs a new deal it will be "good as there is a player in there"

no wonder he wants to leave with fans as fickled as this!

I've always thought that....

GlenrothesHibee
03-06-2013, 09:37 PM
If you are picking your team, apart from the odd numpty, he'd not be in 99% of the Hibs supporters team, or indeed the managers. :tin hat:

Exactly

sahib
03-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Exactly

He is the only midfielder that seems to score the odd goal. I really don't see why everybody is quite so down on him.

scoopyboy
03-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Really? He's 22 years old............

He was 22 in January 2012, he'll be nearer 24 than 22 by the next time he kicks a ball in earnest...............................:greengrin

Stringer
03-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if spoony went to yams.
He's from Perth is he no prob couldn't give a hoot abt hibs or hearts and it shows on the field. Their loss our gain I say.
The lad just wants to play football his heart isn't in the club.

His celebration vs the yams shows he clearly does care about us. He is just a reserved individual. He doesn't deserve the dogs abuse he gets.

If I were him, I would sign for the yams and do an Adebayor like celebration against us. :cb

Big_Franck
03-06-2013, 10:33 PM
He is the only midfielder that seems to score the odd goal. I really don't see why everybody is quite so down on him.

Because in 4 out of 5 games he's gash :dunno:

Hope he doesn't sign another contract with us, he has had more than enough chances to hold down a place (often in poor Hibs sides) and he hasn't. Be good to free up another wage.

Big_Franck
03-06-2013, 10:34 PM
His celebration vs the yams shows he clearly does care about us. He is just a reserved individual. He doesn't deserve the dogs abuse he gets.

If I were him, I would sign for the yams and do an Adebayor like celebration against us. :cb

I'd agree with that, the emotion on his face when he scored shows he does care. Unfortunately he just isn't good enough IMO.

rainman
03-06-2013, 11:13 PM
Scott Brown
Anthony Stokes
Ivan Sproule
John Rankin

I suppose the other part of the unspoken debate is "and would take them back in a heart beat". Rankin? Really?

sahib
03-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Because in 4 out of 5 games he's gash :dunno:

Hope he doesn't sign another contract with us, he has had more than enough chances to hold down a place (often in poor Hibs sides) and he hasn't. Be good to free up another wage.

That statistic would get you into one of these Hibernian greats books.

500miles
04-06-2013, 05:53 AM
Kevin McBride could also count as one who came back to haunt us - scoring against us when we got beat by Dundee.

Vault Boy
04-06-2013, 06:48 AM
Kickback seem to think that once he is in a 'better team' and not surrounded by 'pish players' he could be good. :faf:

There is absolutely no way that after this season any logical mind can say Hearts are better than Hibs. We were unbeaten against them. won 2 and it should have been 3. We finished a fair bit higher than them and most definitely have the better team now. I actually can't understand how they still think they're the 'better team.' :lolyam:

Speedy
04-06-2013, 07:03 AM
Yep, I can see the yam bams being very receptive to the man who handed them the shortest ever Scottish Cup reign :faf:

Eh? They seem to love Zaliukas...

:greengrin

lugz
04-06-2013, 07:45 AM
Can't see why hearts would let novikovas go and bring in spoony? I would definitely rather have novikovas from what I've seen of him.

AllyF
04-06-2013, 07:58 AM
The flack Spoony gets on here absolutely baffles me.

One of my favourite players in recent years - always a dangerous player to bring off the bench, an expert at cutting into the box and scaring defences. Will be gutted to see him go.

lucky
04-06-2013, 08:06 AM
If these rumours prove to be false and resigns at Hibs his life will be 100 times worse than now when he puts in his usual half hearted performances. He is better leaving Scotland. No way will they take to him and I don't think there's a way back for him at ER. If he does sign for them there is no way they will ever bully the midfield with him in it.

SMAXXA
04-06-2013, 08:08 AM
Can't see why hearts would let novikovas go and bring in spoony? I would definitely rather have novikovas from what I've seen of him.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Mind if they want to go with all young Scottish guys and Spony would probs not be on as big a wage as Novawhateverhisfaceis

blackpoolhibs
04-06-2013, 08:10 AM

One of my favourite players in recent years - always a dangerous player to bring off the bench, an expert at cutting into the box and scaring defences. Will be gutted to see him go.

He gets flack because he's a 1 game in 5 player at best. You might be happy with this, but i want more from our players. Its because we have players like him, we have such a poor record in recent seasons.

He burst onto the scene, and i'd imagine we all thought he'd go on and make a name for himself at Hibs. Thats not happened, and he cant demand a place in our under performing team. Thats the upshot of this whole debate.

He does not warrant a place in our first 11, and remember that team finished 7th. There are players who have come through from the youths now, who are on a par and perhaps even better than Wotherspoon now.

We need better, and i personally think he's not a player who will take us forward.

JeMeSouviens
04-06-2013, 08:11 AM
He's got plenty of ability, his 3 league goals last season were all special, but he's a luxury player. Certainly not the sort of guy you'd be looking for in a backs to the wall fight against relegation starting from -15 pts. Hearts and Spoony are a terrible fit.

SMAXXA
04-06-2013, 08:14 AM
Kevin McBride could also count as one who came back to haunt us - scoring against us when we got beat by Dundee.

Scoring one goal, a penalty at that to make it 3 nil can hardly be classed as haunting us :confused:, not giving you that one :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
04-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Scoring one goal, a penalty at that to make it 3 nil can hardly be classed as haunting us :confused:, not giving you that one :greengrin

Andy Dow. The ****** spent years at ER finding ever more bizarre ways not to touch the ball with his right foot then knocks us out of the cup in a semi final with ... a tremendous right foot volley. :rolleyes:

PeeJay
04-06-2013, 08:22 AM
Wotherspoon is a young player that has obvious talent and ability - that talent and ability is something that should be nurtured and progressed at the club. I fully expected him to develop further, but it hasn't happened. One has to wonder if it is Wotherspoon's fault that he is failing to move forward or if the fault lies elsewhere. Is the coaching et al at ER up to scratch? I'm not convinced it is. He is not the only youngster we have failed to help improve as a player at the club IMO. Is it fair to blame youngsters for failing to develop? The lack of consistency laid at his door can actually be applied to most of our players with the obvious exceptions...I'll be sorry to see him go, if he does go ...

SMAXXA
04-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Andy Dow. The ****** spent years at ER finding ever more bizarre ways not to touch the ball with his right foot then knocks us out of the cup in a semi final with ... a tremendous right foot volley. :rolleyes:

:faf: That made me chuckle, that was when he went to Aberdeen eh, aye remember that day at hampden, was gutting

The Leith Dutch
04-06-2013, 08:32 AM

Kind of depends what you mean by flack. Some people do seem to have it in for hi. But most people have what I'd say was a reasonably clinical analysis of why we can't keep him at Hibs.

Wotherspoon is clearly a gifted player - the dipping volley he scored this season and a fabulous flicked 30 yard pass down wing with the outside of his boot both spring to mind this season - and I don't think many people would deny that.

But for whatever reasons this only appears in little patches of a game and rarely in a series of games on the trot. He's now 22 and times have changed in football - at 22 (especially in the SPL and with the experience he has) he should be delivering on a regular basis. Neither he nor Hibs can use the "he's just a kid" line.

There's also the fact that he lacks any pace at all meaning that some of his admitedly excellent trickery running at players is wasted as they can catch him up with ease.

Maybe he could be a player for a different team though probably not a Scottish one.

For us he's a luxury we cannot afford - especially as he offers nothing (and I do mean nothing) defensively

Andy74
04-06-2013, 08:37 AM
Imagine if he was a Fenlon signing?

Hibs90
04-06-2013, 08:42 AM
Would like to keep him.

Pretty Boy
04-06-2013, 08:44 AM
What baffles me is people describing someone who is nearly 24 and has been playing 1st team football for 5 seasons as young and inexperienced.

Compare Wotherspoon to Lewis Stevenson. Both played all over the park, both played for several managers, both had a rough ride from fans at times. One of them is a model of steady consistency who rarely lets us down, work his socks off and does a decent job wherever he is asked to play. The other is capable of the odd flash of brilliance but seems to have the heart of a mouse and for 4 games out of 5 is a passenger.

He's had his chance, if he wants to go then so be it.

Deansy
04-06-2013, 08:48 AM

Same goes for Paul Hartley - an absolute chicken-hearted F*dd who, when playing for us, if tackled in the 1st 5 minutes just didn't want the ball for the rest of the game. Grows a beard, signs for 'Scatter-cash FC' and all of a sudden he grew a pair ??. Still can't stand the despicable little runt !!

Peevemor
04-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Same goes for Paul Hartley - an absolute chicken-hearted F*dd who, when playing for us, if tackled in the 1st 5 minutes just didn't want the ball for the rest of the game. Grows a beard, signs for 'Scatter-cash FC' and all of a sudden he grew a pair ??. Still can't stand the despicable little runt !!

It was 3 seasons at St Johnstone in between where he really improved.

Stevie Reid
04-06-2013, 08:58 AM
He was 22 in January 2012, he'll be nearer 24 than 22 by the next time he kicks a ball in earnest...............................:greengrin

You heard anything, Scoopy? Not that I have any reason to doubt those who have provided info so far.

As I said earlier on this thread, I would like to keep him but only on the right terms - certainly wouldn't want him going to Hearts. Ironically, myself and some of the other boys at ER had thought that he may turn out to be a Paul Hartley type, someone who has to drop down a level before managing to release their undoubted talent.

I hope we're wrong. He'd be even more mental to sign for them on the back of today's news anyway.

The Leith Dutch
04-06-2013, 09:06 AM
What baffles me is people describing someone who is nearly 24 and has been playing 1st team football for 5 seasons as young and inexperienced.

Compare Wotherspoon to Lewis Stevenson. Both played all over the park, both played for several managers, both had a rough ride from fans at times. One of them is a model of steady consistency who rarely lets us down, work his socks off and does a decent job wherever he is asked to play. The other is capable of the odd flash of brilliance but seems to have the heart of a mouse and for 4 games out of 5 is a passenger.

He's had his chance, if he wants to go then so be it.

Funny you should say that - I was just thinking that if we could take the silky skills Wotherspoon occasionally shows (and maybe his height) and put them into Lewis Stevenson I think we'd have a top class player.

Phil MaGlass
04-06-2013, 09:26 AM

surely it doesnt matter how many times they score or make assists against us, its still coming back to haunt us.

SMAXXA
04-06-2013, 09:28 AM
surely it doesnt matter how many times they score or make assists against us, its still coming back to haunt us.

Where do you draw the line, does an assist, a great save etc constitute coming back to haunt us or just a player doing their job. Over a period of time with consistent evidence of this then I would agree its haunted us but not a once of surly? Its an interesting one I suppose and open to interpretation.

Hibs7
04-06-2013, 10:08 AM
If he does sign for that mob then he needs his head looked at .....especially with the latest revelation re tax bill .... Anyone signing for them is a head case and should be certified ...

The Voice Of Reason
04-06-2013, 10:16 AM
He gets flack because he's a 1 game in 5 player at best. You might be happy with this, but i want more from our players. Its because we have players like him, we have such a poor record in recent seasons.

He burst onto the scene, and i'd imagine we all thought he'd go on and make a name for himself at Hibs. Thats not happened, and he cant demand a place in our under performing team. Thats the upshot of this whole debate.

He does not warrant a place in our first 11, and remember that team finished 7th. There are players who have come through from the youths now, who are on a par and perhaps even better than Wotherspoon now.

We need better, and i personally think he's not a player who will take us forward.

That is absolutely spot on sir 👍

10 out of 10 smiley (if I had one on my phone!)

04-06-2013, 10:24 AM
When Wotherspoon first burst onto the scene I was pretty excited that we had a really promising player who would develop into a really good player but unfortunatly he just hasn't really lived up to the expectation. Don't get me wrong I dont think hes an awful player by any means, he can produce moments of really good stuff now and again but thats not enough and we need someone who is a lot more consistant.

I don't mind Spoony tbh, but I wouldn't be overly upset to see him leave.

monktonharp
04-06-2013, 10:48 AM
I was thinking the exact same thing. Mind if they want to go with all young Scottish guys and Spony would probs not be on as big a wage as Novawhateverhisfaceis not what I've heard:wink: do think it's a strange one though

monktonharp
04-06-2013, 10:55 AM

We need better, and i personally think he's not a player who will take us forward.:agree:1 in 5 is a tad generous imho. when he plays 90 mins, he seems to drift out of the game at times, and does not fully concentrate on what's actually happening around him. result being, if he's given the ball he often plays the wrong pass,moves into the wrong position etc. no doubt about his ball skills when he puts his mind to it, but there are surely other things he should be thinking about during a match. let him go.

ColintonHibs
04-06-2013, 10:56 AM
When he first came on i think it was v st mirren i thought wow he is going to be a player.

Since then I've not seen one bit of evidence that suggests there is a "player in there". He comes on, farts about, looks uninterested, flaps his arms about and runs like a snail on a comedown. His "goal" v hearts was probably going to go out for a throw in before it hit zaliukas. He does one stepover on the edge of the box and does a simple 5 yard pass that leads to a goal 1 in every 5 games. People will say i'm being negative or being a **** but it's the truth. He wont be missed

RoxburghHibs
04-06-2013, 11:06 AM
For me it's best all round that he finds a new club as he isn't going to be a regular at Hibs next season - if he were to stay.

However he's far better a person/player than playing for that mob - I personally think a move to the team he supports (StJohnstone) would be a better move for him.

I don't see any reason why he can't make a career at another SPL or top Div 1 club.

monktonharp
04-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Wotherspoon is a young player that has obvious talent and ability - that talent and ability is something that should be nurtured and progressed at the club. I fully expected him to develop further, but it hasn't happened. One has to wonder if it is Wotherspoon's fault that he is failing to move forward or if the fault lies elsewhere. Is the coaching et al at ER up to scratch? I'm not convinced it is. He is not the only youngster we have failed to help improve as a player at the club IMO. Is it fair to blame youngsters for failing to develop? The lack of consistency laid at his door can actually be applied to most of our players with the obvious exceptions...I'll be sorry to see him go, if he does go ...
naw, cant agree. he was brought up through a great training regime, played occasionally in first tem games, and to be fair to him ,maybe overplayed at RB with Yogi but you can only teach/nurture so much. some of it needs to rub off on the man himself where he needs to stand up. at primary school, my teacher once gave us all a hyacinth bulb. we each put it in a jar, and if you only hoped it would grow, it failed. however, if you watered it,kept it in a shaded area at times and pruned the withered parts occasionally, result: a lovely full grown hyacinth right in front of you. there's a wee gardening tip for all my readers:greengrin

JimBHibees
04-06-2013, 11:07 AM
:agree:1 in 5 is a tad generous imho. when he plays 90 mins, he seems to drift out of the game at times, and does not fully concentrate on what's actually happening around him. result being, if he's given the ball he often plays the wrong pass,moves into the wrong position etc. no doubt about his ball skills when he puts his mind to it, but there are surely other things he should be thinking about during a match. let him go.

The guy obviously has ability however I think he is a liability defensively gets caught out loads of times and doesnt protect the full back well at all. It is up to him what he does however if he thought the fans got on his case at ER that will be a picnic compared to what he would get at the Pink palace with similar performances.

Bad Martini
04-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Craig Brewster, Stevie Crawford.....

Brooster
04-06-2013, 11:23 AM
You heard anything, Scoopy? Not that I have any reason to doubt those who have provided info so far.

Yams have defo offered him a deal, as have Hibs I'm lead to believe. I hope we keep him.

Stevie Reid
04-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Yams have defo offered him a deal, as have Hibs I'm lead to believe. I hope we keep him.

Cheers for that, Brooster :aok:

He'd be mad to go there, for so many reasons.

Liberal Hibby
04-06-2013, 11:31 AM

If Hibs have offered him a contract he won't be going to Tynecastle.

SMAXXA
04-06-2013, 11:44 AM

We cant guarantee him first team football regularly they can

Winston Ingram
04-06-2013, 11:47 AM

He's likely to be on the fringes here and Hibs offer will no doubt be lower.

J-C
04-06-2013, 11:49 AM

Why? He's had umpteen chances to cement a regular 1st team place, his inconsistency is frustrating to 98% of the supporters, just how long do we wait till he reaches this magical potential we keep hearing hes got

superfurryhibby
04-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Why? He's had umpteen chances to cement a regular 1st team place, his inconsistency is frustrating to 98% of the supporters, just how long do we wait till he reaches this magical potential we keep hearing hes got

I think the other poster already said why. Like him, I'm a fan of DW. He can create a chance and has the skill to do something positive. I reckon he will do well in a team that has a more positive thinking attitude. Last seasons centre mid all lacked any forward momentum and appeared not to know what a cutting pass means.

Not matter what, good luck to him in the future.

greenpaper55
04-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Just think of the impact that Harris or Forster have made compared to D W ?, in a few weeks both of them have made a bigger contribution to the club than he has in three years. No great loss to us.

JIm
04-06-2013, 12:14 PM

That really comes down to the terms of the contract offer......................

bigwheel
04-06-2013, 12:18 PM

I can't see Wotherspoon signing on again....why would he?..two cup finals and not stripped for either. It's clear Pat doesn't fancy him as a first team player. I'm sure Spoony will be looking elsewhere for his career.

I'm in the minority, I'll be disappointed to see him go...He is one of the few players we have that can beat a man and create chances. He has been inconsistent, but he has pace, two good feet, athletic and technically good...He could still knuckle down and create a good career for himself...good luck to him if he moves on..

JimBHibees
04-06-2013, 12:50 PM
I can't see Wotherspoon signing on again....why would he?..two cup finals and not stripped for either. It's clear Pat doesn't fancy him as a first team player. I'm sure Spoony will be looking elsewhere for his career.

I'm in the minority, I'll be disappointed to see him go...He is one of the few players we have that can beat a man and create chances. He has been inconsistent, but he has pace, two good feet, athletic and technically good...He could still knuckle down and create a good career for himself...good luck to him if he moves on..

Dont see that he has either of the bold words. He looks like he either is very slow or carrying some sort of groin/stomach injury when he runs. He has ability however he isnt someone I would be gutted to lose.

Liberal Hibby
04-06-2013, 12:52 PM
That really comes down to the terms of the contract offer......................

He's likely to be on the fringes here and Hibs offer will no doubt be lower.

You miss my point - if we've offered him a contract, then we get a fee. And the Yams are in no position to pay anything up front (or indeed anything)

Pretty Boy
04-06-2013, 12:52 PM

I'm in the minority, I'll be disappointed to see him go...He is one of the few players we have that can beat a man and create chances. He has been inconsistent, but he has pace, two good feet, athletic and technically good...He could still knuckle down and create a good career for himself...good luck to him if hemoves on..

Pace?

Have we signed another Wotherspoon? He's slower than a Lithuanian administration application.

Gus Fring
04-06-2013, 12:54 PM

They can't even guarantee they'll have a team!

Baader
04-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Not even making the bench for two of our biggest games would suggest Fenlon has little confidence in him...

SlickShoes
04-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Wotherspoon had a VERY poor season this year, he has scored some fantastic goals in the past but this year he was very poor. His ability to beat a man seemed to almost leave him completely towards the end of the season, 2 step overs then run straight in to the defender was the normal routine.

He scored a great deflected goal against Hearts but if that hadn't pinged off big zal the twat then would anyone here be able to pick out a single moment this season that he has made a game winning contribution?

Our centre midfield is looking OK, we need to invest in wingers that have the confidence to beat a man and deliver good crosses. DW doesn't seem to have any confidence to his play at all. I think if Harris hadn't burst through then DW may have had a chance of staying and even starting at hampden if we had made it there, but Harris has and he looks like the player with the most potential between the two.

hibee62
04-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Wotherspoon had a VERY poor season this year, he has scored some fantastic goals in the past but this year he was very poor. His ability to beat a man seemed to almost leave him completely towards the end of the season, 2 step overs then run straight in to the defender was the normal routine.

He scored a great deflected goal against Hearts but if that hadn't pinged off big zal the twat then would anyone here be able to pick out a single moment this season that he has made a game winning contribution?

Our centre midfield is looking OK, we need to invest in wingers that have the confidence to beat a man and deliver good crosses. DW doesn't seem to have any confidence to his play at all. I think if Harris hadn't burst through then DW may have had a chance of staying and even starting at hampden if we had made it there, but Harris has and he looks like the player with the most potential between the two.

Last game of the league season v Dundee. That'll do for starters...

DAVE1875
04-06-2013, 01:40 PM

Not exactly game winning contribution but he started what turned out to be a very good night for us. Plus he did make a cracking run to set up Handling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqfW9gZ-nOk

Part/Time Supporter
04-06-2013, 01:41 PM
You miss my point - if we've offered him a contract, then we get a fee. And the Yams are in no position to pay anything up front (or indeed anything)

Only if it's the same wage or better. Suggestion is that he has been offered less because he isn't a guaranteed first team starter now.

SeanWilson
04-06-2013, 01:41 PM

4-0 motherwell... V good. :agree: about it though :greengrin

Devilstorment
04-06-2013, 01:43 PM

Scored against Dundee on last day of the season

eastmainsmsh
04-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Fenlon must be mad to let Wotherspoon go if so ....Problem imo he has never had a settled position constant changing of managers etc ... his technique,touch and finishing are quality ....there is a player in there alright if he goes then it could come back and bite us :agree:

TamHibs
04-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Fenlon must be mad to let Wotherspoon go if so ....Problem imo he has never had a settled position constant changing of managers etc ... his technique,touch and finishing are quality ....there is a player in there alright if he goes then it could come back and bite us :agree:

18 months under Fenlon playing on the wing so he has had more than enough time to make the position his own. FWIW I think he may stay with us on the lower wage with a point to prove. I like Spoony but you can only claim a player to have potential for so long.

Heisenberg
04-06-2013, 05:45 PM

He's had a settled position this season....There's no doubt that he's shown glimpses of what he can do but he's never sustained it. Should we take a risk that he will and get him on another deal? Not for me, he needs a fresh start at a different club.

LeighLoyal
04-06-2013, 05:48 PM

Agreed. I'd sooner we said bye bye to several others before Spoon. I'd also have preferred him at right back to Maybury at Hampden any day of the week. I don't think KT should have started the final ahead of him either, did amyone notice KT was on the park? Fenlon. :confused:

bigwheel
04-06-2013, 05:51 PM

I think this view is too black and white about Spoony. He actually started the season pretty well and in the first 12 games or so, was a regular starter and was doing well...he then fell out of it and was largely in and out for the rest of the season. He came back into it for a few games, including strong performance away to motherwell ...I'm not denying he has been inconsistent. I suspect the fact that he senses Pat lacks confidence in him might be part of this...it cant help his confidence. Anyway, to say he had a very poor season, is way too simplistic a view..he had decent moments, just not enough of them.

bigwheel
04-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Pace?

Have we signed another Wotherspoon? He's slower than a Lithuanian administration application.

Ha ....not saying he is Ivan Sproule in his pomp...I actually think he has decent pace on the ball..the problem is he does get caught on his heels often and doesn't react quickly at times...wouldn't say he was super fast, but wouldn't say he was slow either.

Greendub
04-06-2013, 06:01 PM
He also scored what was almost goal of the season for me, think it was against ICT at Easter road, the volley

Eyrie
04-06-2013, 07:02 PM
I think this view is too black and white about Spoony. He actually started the season pretty well and in the first 12 games or so, was a regular starter and was doing well...he then fell out of it and was largely in and out for the rest of the season. He came back into it for a few games, including strong performance away to motherwell ...I'm not denying he has been inconsistent. I suspect the fact that he senses Pat lacks confidence in him might be part of this...it cant help his confidence. Anyway, to say he had a very poor season, is way too simplistic a view..he had decent moments, just not enough of them.

If he's a confidence player then the last place he should be going is the PBS. The fans there will have little tolerance for a former Hibs player and will be on his back as soon as he makes a mistake. Look at the way some on here criticised Maybury who'd been away from the Yams for almost a decade before joining us, and then remember that Wotherspoon has only ever played for us.

I'd rather he left us and hope that he signs with a decent team that will pay him regularly and where he can find some form and consistency.

The Green Goblin
04-06-2013, 07:09 PM
In general, (not only related to DW) I think anyone who was thinking of signing for Hearts right now needs their head examined (admin release clause and potential double signing on fee or not) :greengrin

Lang Toun Hibs
04-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Just think of the impact that Harris or Forster have made compared to D W ?, in a few weeks both of them have made a bigger contribution to the club than he has in three years. No great loss to us.

Aye, right enough. A handful of decent performances and they've surpassed the contribution of a player who has come through at a time when we arguably had a better first team. As our team declined and form dipped, he suffered too and in my view people expected too much from him just because he was a regular - we forgot how young he was, and still is.

He's got bags of ability, and he has shown this regularly but maybe not consistently enough for some however, for what it's worth, I sincerely hope he's part of our squad for the next few years to come.

It would be fantastic if every player performed to the absolute peak of their ability in every game, but only the truly elite come close to doing so. Be reasonable!

macd123
04-06-2013, 08:30 PM
According to james mcpake, he is the best trainer at the club and the best technically. He is already a player and needs a spell playing behind the striker. If we let him go it will be a failure of management and he will flourish elsewhere.

SMAXXA
04-06-2013, 08:37 PM
How about we sign meet in the middle and give him another year, farm him out to Falkirk or Livi or the likes until January and see how that works, maybe the change of scenery will bring the player out and he will come back and demonstrate what some believe he has the 2nd half of the season? :dunno: Never gona happen but I like a compromise for the well being of this board :greengrin

Kato
04-06-2013, 08:40 PM
According to james mcpake, he is the best trainer at the club and the best technically. He is already a player and needs a spell playing behind the striker. If we let him go it will be a failure of management and he will flourish elsewhere.

I don't pay to watch him train. If he wants to leave what can Hibs do about it?

Gmack7
04-06-2013, 08:42 PM
one of the few players we have who has the ability to go past an opponent.give him another contract imo

AllyF
04-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Give it two years and there'll be a thread on here proposing we get him back.

For previous examples, see Dobbie, Deano and Deek. All the Ds.

The Leith Dutch
04-06-2013, 08:45 PM

Not being funny or starting but Wotherspoon does not have pace under any definition of it I understand.

He's amongst the most criminally slow players I've ever seen.

Like or loathe him he does not have pace.

CRAZYHIBBY
04-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Ive just come off the phone to a guy that just came off the phone to another guy who knows a guy that spoke to a source close to wotherspoon but hes no heard anything either

Gmack7
04-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Not being funny or starting but Wotherspoon does not have pace under any definition of it I understand.

He's amongst the most criminally slow players I've ever seen.

Like or loathe him he does not have pace.
compared to deagan/claros/thomson and robertson hes like an olympic sprinter

CRAZYHIBBY
04-06-2013, 08:52 PM

Springbank
04-06-2013, 08:55 PM
This guy is not someone to impose himself on a game. A move to tynecastle would be a very unhappy time in this young mans life I suspect, unless he finds the ability to turn his training game into his A game.

eastterrace
04-06-2013, 09:04 PM
he was a promising player but yogi played him at right back and he lost his confidence , also would you want to stay at a club that didnt even give you a place on the bench in two cup finals naw me neither i would tell them to stickit.

Vault Boy
04-06-2013, 09:08 PM

I know James has said that he is technically gifted, but he has said on many occasions that Leigh has always been the best trainer. I wouldn't personally see it as a failure if Spoony decides to leave, he hasn't really proved himself as good enough for starting 11 and he'll want to be playing regular football, he will have to go elsewhere to find this.

NadeAteMyLunch!
04-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Folk claiming on this thread that he was poor all season have either got very short memories or they weren't at many games in the first half of the season. First derby of the season he set up Leigh's equaliser with a great through ball, the away game at St Mirren he played a ridiculous ball over the top of the defence right on to Leigh's boot for our first goal, home to ICT he scored arguably our goal of the season with an incredible strike, away to Motherwell he opened the scoring with another brilliant strike before winning us a penalty for our 3rd and then setting up our 4th, home to Hearts he provided possibly our moment of the season. Folk being petty and claiming it was a Zal OG are no doubt the same folk moaning on here that none of our midfielders are willing to shoot. Who else in our midfield would have attempted a 25 yard strike at that point in the game? FWIW I completely agree that he is inconsistent and went off the boil big time second half of the season but he wasn't alone in that. Last few weeks of the season he came on against St Mirren and set up our equaliser and then came on against Dundee and scored certainly one of the best headers I've seen in the flesh. Also mentioned on here is that in the Q&A before the cup final McPake had to pick 5 players from the squad for his 5's team and Spoony was his second pick, only after Leigh. James said he was "the most skilful player in the squad". Laughed when I read someone saying that Harris and Forster have done more than he's done in 3 years! I'm mega excited about Harris and think he's gonna be the real deal BUT the reaction these past few months over him is the exact same as when Spoony broke into the first team! Remember the buzz on here after his debut against St Mirren?! Or when he was pinging shots off the posts from all over the pitch in his first few games when he was playing with confidence?! Boruc turned what would have been goal of the season into save of the season when he turned his volley against the post at ER that season. He played an entire season out of position at RB and still managed to put the likes of Mikey Stewart on his arse. Extremely unfair to say he's done nothing in 3 years. He needs help to fulfil his potential that he's shown in glimpses with us and consistently for Scotland. If he makes the switch to Hearts then I guarantee it will come back to bite us. Someone mentioned Sproule coming bk to bite us, it's not so much that he's done us much damage(yet), more the fact that he was completely written off by Fenlon and on here yet he moved to a team that finished above us in the league and started scoring goals for fun. Can defo see another Hartley type signing if this move goes ahead

monktonharp
04-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Ive just come off the phone to a guy that just came off the phone to another guy who knows a guy that spoke to a source close to wotherspoon but hes no heard anything eithercould have been listening to the wrong guy:confused:

Waxy
04-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Could we have a poll?
Spoony to stay?
Spoony to go?

I want him to stay.
We need goals.

Jonnyboy
04-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Could we have a poll?
Spoony to stay?
Spoony to go?

I want him to stay.
We need goals.

Best not. One lengthy thread allowing some Hibs fans to put the boot in is quite enough I reckon :agree:

blackpoolhibs
04-06-2013, 09:31 PM
he was a promising player but yogi played him at right back and he lost his confidence , also would you want to stay at a club that didnt even give you a place on the bench in two cup finals naw me neither i would tell them to stickit.

What a load of sheite, he has said in print that was his best spell as a Hibs player, and he loved playing at that time under Hughes.

And if he couldn't force his way into the last 2 cup final squads, why would Hibs want to keep him?

RecobasUncle
04-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Folk claiming on this thread that he was poor all season have either got very short memories or they weren't at many games in the first half of the season. First derby of the season he set up Leigh's equaliser with a great through ball, the away game at St Mirren he played a ridiculous ball over the top of the defence right on to Leigh's boot for our first goal, home to ICT he scored arguably our goal of the season with an incredible strike, away to Motherwell he opened the scoring with another brilliant strike before winning us a penalty for our 3rd and then setting up our 4th, home to Hearts he provided possibly our moment of the season. Folk being petty and claiming it was a Zal OG are no doubt the same folk moaning on here that none of our midfielders are willing to shoot. Who else in our midfield would have attempted a 25 yard strike at that point in the game? FWIW I completely agree that he is inconsistent and went off the boil big time second half of the season but he wasn't alone in that. Last few weeks of the season he came on against St Mirren and set up our equaliser and then came on against Dundee and scored certainly one of the best headers I've seen in the flesh. Also mentioned on here is that in the Q&A before the cup final McPake had to pick 5 players from the squad for his 5's team and Spoony was his second pick, only after Leigh. James said he was "the most skilful player in the squad". Laughed when I read someone saying that Harris and Forster have done more than he's done in 3 years! I'm mega excited about Harris and think he's gonna be the real deal BUT the reaction these past few months over him is the exact same as when Spoony broke into the first team! Remember the buzz on here after his debut against St Mirren?! Or when he was pinging shots off the posts from all over the pitch in his first few games when he was playing with confidence?! Boruc turned what would have been goal of the season into save of the season when he turned his volley against the post at ER that season. He played an entire season out of position at RB and still managed to put the likes of Mikey Stewart on his arse. Extremely unfair to say he's done nothing in 3 years. He needs help to fulfil his potential that he's shown in glimpses with us and consistently for Scotland. If he makes the switch to Hearts then I guarantee it will come back to bite us. Someone mentioned Sproule coming bk to bite us, it's not so much that he's done us much damage(yet), more the fact that he was completely written off by Fenlon and on here yet he moved to a team that finished above us in the league and started scoring goals for fun. Can defo see another Hartley type signing if this move goes ahead

Please use paragraphs I beg of you!

Oh and Wotherspoon? He's gash.

Casey1875
04-06-2013, 09:45 PM

Fantastic post. Especially the comparison between the reaction of the emergence of Harris and Spoony.

bookert
04-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Please use paragraphs I beg of you!

Oh and Wotherspoon? He's gash.

Look the poster went to the bother of putting together a decent, thorough and thoughtful post. At least credit him with a decent reply. FWIW I agree with the poster, don't understand the negativity 're spoony, but doubt he will ever get over the last two finals and his non selection.

Eyrie
04-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Fantastic post. Especially the comparison between the reaction of the emergence of Harris and Spoony.

Would you be happy with Harris if his career follows a similar path to Wotherspoon's, or is almost as good at this point in his career?

Cabbage East
04-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Just spoke to Spoony's bird in Frankie and Benny's and he is not going to Hearts. So there you have it, straight from the horse's mouth.

BH Hibs
04-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Personally I'd like him to stay but if PF has lined up a replacement that he thinks is better then I trust his judgement. I just don't want us to be depending on Harris as its a lot to put on the young mans shoulders.

RecobasUncle
04-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Yeah, maybe I should have made a more thoughtful post.

I think some people are being selective in the use of their memories. As much as I enjoyed that moment against Hearts a) it was a bit of a fluke and b) he hasn't produced stuff like that as much he should or could have. If he could have the same ambition to take people on and make things happen on a regular basis then I would be a big fan.

Also, on the good form of young players as they break into the first team thingy mentioned. This hardly surprises me much as they have much more to prove and much more enthusiasm to play. I think it's good we've given some new contracts to youngsters recently as it will provide competition for the more 'senior' elements in the team.

VivaHiberņa
04-06-2013, 10:24 PM
IMO is DW were to leave it wouldn't be terrible news, I think Fenlon (normally) seems to know what he's doing and he probably has an alternative.

Having said that, he has shown that on his day he can be an outstanding player; the first half of this season shows that much. It might not be coincidence that his drop in form was at the same time at the team's.

Overall, I'm pretty on-the-fence. If he stays then clearly PF still sees something in him and its pretty obvious why. At the same time its clear that he can be a disappointment and we should cope without him. Should he leave, I don't think it would be fair to hold it against him.

silverhibee
04-06-2013, 10:40 PM
What a load of sheite, he has said in print that was his best spell as a Hibs player, and he loved playing at that time under Hughes.

And if he couldn't force his way into the last 2 cup final squads, why would Hibs want to keep him?

:tee hee:

Lang Toun Hibs
04-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Personally I'd like him to stay but if PF has lined up a replacement that he thinks is better then I trust his judgement. I just don't want us to be depending on Harris as its a lot to put on the young mans shoulders.

Could we afford to bring in someone better? I doubt it. As for pressure on Harris, I agree but isn't that what we're doing/have done to the young man this thread is all about?

poolman
04-06-2013, 11:05 PM

I can't read that

Jones28
04-06-2013, 11:09 PM

100% this :thumbsup:

hibee_nation
04-06-2013, 11:14 PM
I can't read that

Try starting at the top and work your way down, going left to right at each new line. :aok:

fat freddy
04-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Just spoke to Spoony's bird in Frankie and Benny's and he is not going to Hearts. So there you have it, straight from the horse's mouth.

a bit harsh calling the poor lassie a horse..

monktonharp
04-06-2013, 11:41 PM
Just spoke to Spoony's bird in Frankie and Benny's and he is not going to Hearts. So there you have it, straight from the horse's mouth. he's winchin' a horse?:greengrin

monktonharp
04-06-2013, 11:44 PM
I often tell my wife I'm no gaun to the pub this weekend. disnae mean anything, and she knows it

HibeeBigFly
04-06-2013, 11:53 PM

100% this, complete farce if Fenlon let's him go.

edinburghhibee
05-06-2013, 12:53 AM
I think for us and spoony the time has come to part ways. I personally don't rate him in my first 11 but would always be on the bench. Good luck spoony whatever happens and thanks for the effort!

brydekirk
05-06-2013, 04:05 AM
Too soft, does'nt track back to help the team, never fit, cannae run. He has ability but not enough heart.

J-C
05-06-2013, 05:05 AM
Hard to compare Spoony with Harris, 4 years difference between then and different stages in their careers.

Harris has made a lot of errors in his few matches but these are mainly ignored because he's young, enthusiastic and full of energy, plus during these games he's shown a lot of very good things too.

Spoony's main problem is at his age, he's an established 1st team player, we all know he has bags of talent but unfortunately shows it all too rarely. At this stage inhis career he needs to be taking a game by the scruff of the neck and making things happen on a regular basis, we don't want a glimpse once every other game.

05-06-2013, 09:24 AM
I don't understand why any footballer in their right mind would want to join up to that mob right now tbh. The club are in absolute turmoil, wages are not being played, possibility of being relegated, dramatic cost cutting measures, best players leaving, very young inexperienced team etc.

I don't understand what could possibly be appealing about that to any footballer.

blackpoolhibs
05-06-2013, 09:27 AM
I don't understand why any footballer in their right mind would want to join up to that mob right now tbh. The club are in absolute turmoil, wages are not being played, possibility of being relegated, dramatic cost cutting measures, best players leaving, very young inexperienced team etc.

I don't understand what could possibly be appealing about that to any footballer.

Greed, its the only reason i can think of. Up until now everyone who's signed up on inflated wages has eventually been paid. It might be a little different now though? :greengrin

offshorehibby
05-06-2013, 09:41 AM
I wonder if Hibs or PF have considered bringing in a sports psychologist for the team in general and for the likes of Wotherspoon who's confidence seems to drop easily and defence who seem to loose concentration during games

bingo70
05-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Even in Wotherspoons 'good games' he's actually pretty **** for most of it but comes up with a good bit of skill to create or score a goal, i can't remember him ever having a man of the match performance?

In fairness to him there's times he's effective coming off the bench, (last game of the season and last years semi against aberdeen spring to mind) and Mcpake says he's brilliant in training so i just think he's not cut out for 11 a side 90 minute games, just doesn't seem to have the concentration levels and appears to lose interest.

He should meet up with craig rocastle and play in a five a side league in america as i think that's more suited to wotherspoons attributes.

The Leith Dutch
05-06-2013, 10:08 AM
compared to deagan/claros/thomson and robertson hes like an olympic sprinter

Bruce Forsyth is not as old as the Duke of Edinburgh.
He is however still old :)

Less flippantly - Wotherspoon's lack of pace is often starkly highlighted as he has the trickery to beat a player but is then far too easily caught up by the player he's just beaten.

While Deegan, Claros and Thomson can have their lack of pace exposed they play a role where reading the game well can cover this lack of pace to a reasonable extent.

I'm inclined to agree with other posters - if we keep Wotherspoon we need to try him in a central attacking role where his pace isn't a problem.

Casey1875
05-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Would you be happy with Harris if his career follows a similar path to Wotherspoon's, or is almost as good at this point in his career?

I think that he has struggled at times to live up to the hype that surrounded him when he broke into the team, a similar level that is being thrown at Harris just now. Like any young player breaking through you hope tht they will go onto better things, so whilst I would be happy for Harris to still be here at 23 I would like to think he can continue to do well and get a big money move. Hopefully that answers your question.

The Leith Dutch
05-06-2013, 10:33 AM
I think that he has struggled at times to live up to the hype that surrounded him when he broke into the team, a similar level that is being thrown at Harris just now. Like any young player breaking through you hope tht they will go onto better things, so whilst I would be happy for Harris to still be here at 23 I would like to think he can continue to do well and get a big money move. Hopefully that answers your question.

Aside from the footballing side one thing I really like about Alex Harris is his approach to the game.

I've seen him clattered a couple of times and he tends just to get up and walk away to where he wants to be for the free kick he's just won.
No petulance or confrontation.

He's got a good head on him which I hope will help him continue as he's started rather than fade somewhat as Wotherspoon has.

superfurryhibby
05-06-2013, 04:32 PM
. He has ability but not enough heart.

I'm always intrigued by this particular chestnut. Having played football at a decent but unpaid level I cannae understand how someone lacking in heart can get to be a professional player. Football is hard game and shrinking violets tend not to make much of an impression. I'll make an exception for Andy "Winker" Watson, the softest player ever witnessed at ER.

Speedway
06-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Could spoon cut it as a striker?

J-C
06-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Could spoon cut it as a striker?

Not enough pace and too many step overs.

theonlywayisup
06-06-2013, 09:26 PM

Is she a bird or a horse? :confused: Neither actually.

Personally, I don't believe there is any chance of him going to the Hertz! I do think he will sign for a Scottish club though!

007 Mickey Weir
06-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Rumours of Yogi being new St J's manager. Can see him going there if that happens.

Eyrie
06-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Rumours of Yogi being new St J's manager. Can see him going there if that happens.

Think he's a Saints fan, so that would be a nice move for him.

macd123
07-06-2013, 01:16 AM
He is 23 but it's quite easy to forget he came through during a pretty toxic period for the club with dreadful management. We can't have won more than 10 home games in 2010 and 2011. I don't think it's a coincidence that him, booth and hanlon suffered major setbacks. As fenlon said, the club was full of bad pros. The support were seriously pi $$ed off understandably and we were on their backs. The whole place was a shambles.

sven nil
07-06-2013, 03:17 AM

heard of people being gutted with a knife! but never witherspoon!

blackpoolhibs
07-06-2013, 06:56 AM
heard of people being gutted with a knife! but never witherspoon!

:faf::faf: :top marks