PDA

View Full Version : Throw ins!

Billychaotic182
02-06-2013, 10:00 PM
I don't know about other fans but year after year I have became increasingly annoyed by hibs not being able to do a simple thing like a throw in! 9/10 times we lose possession after a throw in. We offer no movement and we have no one who can take a long throw into the box. Why is a simple thing like a throw in so hard for our team to do? Every year for as long as I can remember we have been dreadful

thoughts?

The Leith Dutch
02-06-2013, 10:18 PM
Totally agree.

We've been bad at throw ins as long as I can remember and I've no idea why this hasn't been noted down by the managers as something that should be worked on in training.

The ball boys at Easter Road should be recycling the ball on our throw ins quickly and the theower should be faced with 2 to 3 players working at moving the opposition away from the area where the ball will be received by another Hibs player.

I could accept it not always going to plan but it's a combination of not looking like they have a plan and a lack of movement to try to make it work that I find frustrating.

Scouse Hibee
02-06-2013, 10:31 PM
I would have agreed with this point months ago, in fact I used to constantly moan about it myself. Having watched more closely our throw ins and those of the opposition I now believe that we are about as good at them as the next team, no better, no worse.

FranckSuzy
02-06-2013, 10:35 PM
I honestly can't remember a Hibs player since Gordon Durie who is any good at throw ins! :greengrin

greenginger
02-06-2013, 10:57 PM
Mcgivern is not bad at a long throw down the line but others are pathetic. A 12 year girl could get more distance on a throw than Lewis. Its not as if its a fantastic skill to throw a ball.Action with fingers ,wrists and arching the back, but the guys that don't have the technique never seem to be shown or even find out for themselves.

It is not just getting distance, its the length of throw to a team mate that is important, the ball should be just above ankle height when it reaches the team mate not bouncing 3 feet short which takes time to control allowing the opposition to close down and the inevitable punt up the park or pass back.

None of it is rocket science and should be taught to the youth players before they are ever allowed near the first team. Most punters know this but it would seem to escape the scrutiny of coaches ,managers and even fellow team mates.
It should be simple, if you are crap at throw-ins practice until you are at least competent, or just don't take them !!!!

AllyF
02-06-2013, 11:00 PM
Don't know about throw-ins, but our corners are generally woeful too.

Fergus52
02-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Clancy has a pretty good long throw

lyonhibs
03-06-2013, 07:40 AM
It doesn't really matter if we've got Rory Delap and Tessa Sanderson's ******* son taking throw ins if there is naff all movement in front of them. The primary aim of a throw in should be to get the ball - on the deck - back to the thrower and build from there. In the case of a quick throw (yes, these are possible despite the last 10-15 years of practice to the contrary at ER) it should be to get the recipient of the throw turned and running at the opposition before they have a chance to get back in formation.

How this is so very difficult for Hibs is beyond me, I must admit.

Oh, and I give it 15 minutes before NonshinyFinish is along to rant about that completely unnecessary apostrophe in the thread title.

Steve-O
03-06-2013, 07:57 AM
I blame Darren Jackson for going to Celtic :agree:

VickMackie
03-06-2013, 08:42 AM
When I was at the cup final I thought to myself that I hadn't seen anyone complaining about our throw ins for ages!

cabbageandribs1875
03-06-2013, 08:55 AM
I honestly can't remember a Hibs player since Gordon Durie who is any good at throw ins! :greengrin

and the late great Erich Schaedler before that, infact John Brownlie got a fair distance with throw ins as well(iirc)

Thecat23
03-06-2013, 08:57 AM
I don't know about other fans but year after year I have became increasingly annoyed by hibs not being able to do a simple thing like a throw in! 9/10 times we lose possession after a throw in. We offer no movement and we have no one who can take a long throw into the box. Why is a simple thing like a throw in so hard for our team to do? Every year for as long as I can remember we have been dreadful

thoughts?

Our players are very static when it comes to throw in's. Instead of one or two pulling the players about they just stand there. So when the ball is thrown at head hight 9/10 times we are to small and are out jumped. If played to feet we usually lose the ball as there are already 2 players near whoever the ball is thrown too. Long throw in's never reach our player.

As for corners, i'd just tell the ref to give a goal kick to the opposition, as we have more chance of the keeper booting it into his own net than scoring from a corner these days. It's actually laughable at how bad we are at both these things.

truehibernian
03-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Our players are very static when it comes to throw in's. Instead of one or two pulling the players about they just stand there. So when the ball is thrown at head hight 9/10 times we are to small and are out jumped. If played to feet we usually lose the ball as there are already 2 players near whoever the ball is thrown too. Long throw in's never reach our player.

As for corners, i'd just tell the ref to give a goal kick to the opposition, as we have more chance of the keeper booting it into his own net than scoring from a corner these days. It's actually laughable at how bad we are at both these things.

I think the addition of Liam Craig will see far far better set piece deliveries cat - leaving Leigh to strike the free kicks in the dangerous areas (hopefully :greengrin)

Thecat23
03-06-2013, 09:02 AM
I think the addition of Liam Craig will see far far better set piece deliveries cat - leaving Leigh to strike the free kicks in the dangerous areas (hopefully :greengrin)

Lets hope so :greengrin I actually rate Craig and think he could be a very good signing.

Technofob
03-06-2013, 06:41 PM
At the start of last season we were absolutely useless at retaining the ball from kick off but in the 2nd half of the season we played the ball back to the midfield rather than punting it up to the opposition 18 yard line for a throw in. Hopefully next season Paddy will work on retaining the ball/movement at throw ins during training :cb

Jonnyboy
03-06-2013, 07:24 PM
I think our throw in coaching has been top class over the years as the standard of both taking and defending them has been one of the few constants :wink:

Mikey
03-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Is it just me or is it just me?

Does anyone know what they do at East Mains?

Sometimes I think it's just me.

Seveno
03-06-2013, 07:46 PM
I wrote to Mixu about it, when he was Manager, and then chase up Scott Lindsay. All I got was a very bland reply. I thought that it improved when Pat took over but fell back into its old ways.

Jonnyboy
03-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Is it just me or is it just me?

Does anyone know what they do at East Mains?

Sometimes I think it's just me.

It's me too so can we merge and ask "Is it just us?" :greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
03-06-2013, 08:13 PM
If I was coaching a team playing Hibs, I'd tell them to regularly punt the ball out for a throw-in as near the end Hibs are defending as possible

90% chance of getting the ball back in an attacking position, without the effort of carrying it there yourself.

Agree with some of the earlier posters that nobody looks as if they want the ball from our own throw-ins.

IanM
05-08-2013, 08:14 AM
:brickwall

:rolleyes:

:faf:

Not too sure this post needs many words, above sums them up

zero movement for just about every throw-in - if we insist on throwing it up the line why is OTJ not the target? i know he done hee haw yesterday but this AGAIN is so frustrating from Hibs.. every game, every season

Hermit Crab
05-08-2013, 08:35 AM

zero movement for just about every throw-in - if we insist on throwing it up the line why is OTJ not the target? i know he done hee haw yesterday but this AGAIN is so frustrating from Hibs.. every game, every season

We've not been a me to take throw ins for 20 years now. Never understood it.

Brightside
05-08-2013, 09:12 AM

Same with free kicks from the back. Pump it up into the box - 3 secs later we are defending an attack again. Hanlon looked to take a short one yesterday and was screamed at by Williams to pump it up. We have a team of players who are scared to hold the ball, and a lot of fans that dont want us to hold the ball. Thomson had it in midfield yesterday and evaded two tackle and still had a hold of the ball a cry from behind me "Stop ****** about with it ya clown"

It appears to be The Hibs Way now.

Sanger
05-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Been rank for yeras. Something that can be sorted on training ground.

hibspayne
05-08-2013, 09:18 AM
I always thought we were better at throw in's but yesterdays game saw 0 movement for the ball, and when we have an option for quick one we just stand there and wait for Stevenson to walk up the pitch to take it. its very Alex Miller style with the throw in's now surely they know to move and create a space?

Zazu62
05-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Can Stevenson not throw a ball into the box? Or at least try?

hibspayne
05-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Can Stevenson not throw a ball into the box? Or at least try?

Its pointless putting it in the box when there is only 1 player in there, i would much prefer we take them quickly and short then create the space down the line...or at least do something with it

hhibs
05-08-2013, 09:27 AM

So true !
It is beyond belief that this basic of football is not ingrained through training, what the heck are they doing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or not as the case may be.:brickwall:brickwall

GreenArmyyy!
05-08-2013, 09:30 AM
IMO it is of disadvantage to us when we are giving a throw-in. It really cannot be difficult to make space for somebody to throw a ball to you.

Brooster
05-08-2013, 09:36 AM

No point in throwing it to Jones because despite being a giant he cannot attack the ball in the air. Whoever scouted/recommended/signed this guy needs sacked. I had a Matt Done moment the first time I seen him. Sad days when guys like this are in our starting line up.

SMAXXA
05-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Spotted the same thing yestedray it was woeful. We actually worked on throwins with my players last week as we had a similar issue, we did this and they have clear purpose and understanding of what they need to do and have taken this on board. How can a full time team not be so much better at this, its crazy.

GreenPJ
05-08-2013, 09:43 AM
We are and have been terrible for years although ironically for the first 20 mins on Sunday with Mullen taking quick throw ins on the right we were actually getting the ball quickly and having time to play it.

After 20 mins pretty much like everything else it started to disintegrate.

Eyrie
05-08-2013, 09:57 AM
There were a couple of times yesterday when we took a quick throw in, but far too often it was the same old delay whilst the opposition organised followed by a lack of movement. I'm not sure we have anyone other than Clancy who can throw the ball more than five yards which doesn't help.

Hamish
05-08-2013, 09:59 AM

:agree: It's actually longer than 20 years. Been a bugbear of mine for decades.

And for the pedantics on here it's throws in :wink:

Moon unit
05-08-2013, 10:43 AM

Maybe it would be safer to hand over every throw in to an opposition player,we won't make a balls up...and we look very sporting as well!..

Makaveli
05-08-2013, 10:49 AM
We haven't been able to take throw-ins since Beuzelin was there to collect them. No one wants the ball.

I honestly couldn't believe it yesterday when Craig let the ball go out for a throw instead of clearing it. For this team winning a throw is basically losing possession.

Pete
05-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Totally agree with everything said.

We might as well get one boy trained at taking throw ins so he is as good as Rory Delap. There's zero movement on the pitch at the best of times, never mind at shys so what would we have to lose?

Nevi_SOL
05-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Same with free kicks from the back. Pump it up into the box - 3 secs later we are defending an attack again. Hanlon looked to take a short one yesterday and was screamed at by Williams to pump it up. We have a team of players who are scared to hold the ball, and a lot of fans that dont want us to hold the ball. Thomson had it in midfield yesterday and evaded two tackle and still had a hold of the ball a cry from behind me "Stop ****** about with it ya clown"

It appears to be The Hibs Way now.

At the time thommo came out of the two tackles. A guy behind me in the west lower shouted what's the point in being fancy just ****ing punt the baw up the park. Sometimes I think most fans dont wanna keep possession and just want the ball in the other teams half.

davcar
05-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Not just throw-ins that's starting to bug me its also Williams waving the full backs from space into the center of the park so he can belt the ball upfield and resulting in lost possession countless times!!

We give the ball away far to cheaply most of the match and as said on other threads isolate the 1 up front so even if we win the ball we are then 2nd to the 2nd ball!

Keith_M
05-08-2013, 02:12 PM
This comes up as a topic for a thread every season. I wonder if we really are as bad as we all think, in comparison to other teams.

coco22
05-08-2013, 02:41 PM
The fundamental basic that we are most obviously ****** at (a few to choose from). Players don't seem to have the enthusiasm to come for a quick give and go, pulling opponents out of position. Also, as mentioned previously, a team lacking in confidence get ball-shy and would rather not have it than make a mistake.

Has been an issue with teams much, much better than the current side?!?

snooky
05-08-2013, 06:44 PM
This comes up as a topic for a thread every season. I wonder if we really are as bad as we all think, in comparison to other teams.

:agree: Oh yes we are!

Jonnyboy
05-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Clancy is decent at taking shy's - pity he's on the treatment table every week.

snooky
05-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Clancy is decent at taking shy's - pity he's on the treatment table every week.

The thrower isn't the problem, it's the lack of movement by the rest of the team.
I've never seen anyone move into space since Broony left.

Jonnyboy
05-08-2013, 08:22 PM
The thrower isn't the problem, it's the lack of movement by the rest of the team.
I've never seen anyone move into space since Broony left.

I agree 100% I was being sarcastic about Clancy's availability :wink:

We don't do throws in - either attacking or defending and it's a basic that should be instilled in every footballer. :agree:

Sanger
12-08-2013, 07:18 PM
We have all noticed how bad they have been under Fenlon. Nobody with the skill to take the ball in a tight situation - Claris and Leigh did it. Nobody looking for the ball. Lobbed forward in the air with hope. No evidence of any work being done on the training ground.

Pretty Boy
12-08-2013, 07:21 PM
There was one yesterday in the 2nd half that was tragic.

Stevenson lobbed it to Craig at about knee height who miscontrolled it straight back out the park for a Hearts throw.

The woman in front of me just about jumped out her skin when I rather loudly and forcefully enquired 'are you ****ing watching this Fenlon ya useless clown'.

SonOfTortolano
12-08-2013, 07:21 PM
I am sure we had the same problem with CC and Hughes etc

Same old stuff!

theonlywayisup
12-08-2013, 07:23 PM
We have all noticed how bad they have been under Fenlon. Nobody with the skill to take the ball in a tight situation - Claris and Leigh did it. Nobody looking for the ball. Lobbed forward in the air with hope. No evidence of any work being done on the training ground.

Said the same thing whilst watching the game. Also, when we had a chance to get the ball into the box, we didn't. No-one was running into space to give the person throwing the ball something to aim at.

The worst one was Stevenson, down the line to Craig, who mis-controls the ball out for a throw-in to them. :confused:

greenpaper55
12-08-2013, 07:25 PM
It's been like that for years but the fact that the coaching staff never remedy this speaks volumes !, i wonder if those in charge at ER think it's ok or would they even bother their erse ?.

scuttle
12-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Was really frustrated with this yesterday. At one point we had a throw in on our own 18 yard line which lewis threw straight to a yam , who headed it forward for Nelson to head out . Within two seconds we were then defending a throw on our 18 yard line. Later a throw on their 18 yard line which was thrown to Thommo who then thumped it back to Williams who launched it and we lost the ball. Is there nobody at the club who can throw a ball into the box for flick ons etc, I would rather loose the ball there than a more dangerous part of the pitch

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-08-2013, 07:28 PM
I've been attending games since the late 70's and its always been the same! Most odd.

theonlywayisup
12-08-2013, 07:37 PM

Care to re-consider!

Tyler Durden
12-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Picked up a Sun today out of curiosity to see their coverage of the derby. Mikey Stewart has a column and he speaks a lot of sense, basically questioning exactly what Hibs do on the training ground (Scottish teams in general too). He says the players didn't appear to know their jobs. Also questions the role of OTJ and the fact Fenlon deems it acceptable to sacrifice a player with an acceptance he's there only for defensive purposes.

Agree with every word but regarding the lack or organisation or understanding....never more evident than yesterday and I agree that throw ins are a microcosm of our overall play.

I could go some way to forgiving long ball football if we appeared to have practiced it and it was effective. But it's not, we don't even support the forwards and get our midfield up for flick ons or second balls.

And back to throw ins - we're no longer a small team. So why don't we use the height, throw down the line for a flick on and actually have people anticipating the ball? Because our manager is incompetent and seems to send the players out with little strategy or detailed instruction. Exasperating.

SMAXXA
12-08-2013, 09:36 PM
Was really frustrated with this yesterday. At one point we had a throw in on our own 18 yard line which lewis threw straight to a yam , who headed it forward for Nelson to head out . Within two seconds we were then defending a throw on our 18 yard line. Later a throw on their 18 yard line which was thrown to Thommo who then thumped it back to Williams who launched it and we lost the ball. Is there nobody at the club who can throw a ball into the box for flick ons etc, I would rather loose the ball there than a more dangerous part of the pitch

Dinny just ****ing dinny

those were the 2 that stuck in my mind aswell, it was horrendous. There's no movement or creativeness from our throw ins what so ever

Boyle89
12-08-2013, 10:19 PM
We've been gash at throws for ages now!! At least under cc we used to chuck it to osbourne who was so big he could hold folk off and control it.

wookie70
12-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Couldn't agree more with comments regarding our lack of purpose at our throw ins.

However I am nearly as frustrated with our defending when the opposition has one. Have someone who can get to the thrower so they don't get a simple return ball. We have the same lack of urgency when the other team have the ball.

In fact I would go further and say lets include all set pieces. On Sunday we had a free kick 40 yards from goal. Three players over the ball two dummy runs and a punt straight to their keeper with about 2 Hibs players in the box. Other free kicks saw man mountain OTJ 20 yards outside the box. Other teams see these opportunities as ways to win games and with the height in our team we should be making sure someone can take a long throw and also get some numbers in the box for free kicks with decent deliveries going in.

Spudster
12-08-2013, 11:09 PM
We go to sleep defending throw ins and everyone hides when we win a throw in, it's a depressing combo. I'd like to see the stats of our offensive throw ins and how often we keep possession, my guess would be somewhere around 30% :brickwall
I don't think the throw ins themselves are the problem. It's the movement and desire to receive the ball from one.

Boyle89
12-08-2013, 11:13 PM
We go to sleep defending throw ins and everyone hides when we win a throw in, it's a depressing combo. I'd like to see the stats of our offensive throw ins and how often we keep possession, my guess would be somewhere around 30% :brickwall
I don't think the throw ins themselves are the problem. It's the movement and desire to receive the ball from one.
30% come on now be realistic.....more like 20%:wink:.