PDA

View Full Version : Online Betting

heretoday
02-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Are Odds better with online betting? I've just returned from the bookie to find I could have done better on their website.

patch1875
02-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Usually, they will claim the shop has bigger overheads.

BT58
02-06-2013, 03:56 PM
I use paddy power and their prices are far superior to ladbrokes ,,
Bt

Time For Heroes
02-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Anyone know if the odds for next season are up yet? Looking at putting a few quid on the yams to get relegated

hfc rd
02-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Anyone know if the odds for next season are up yet? Looking at putting a few quid on the yams to get relegated

William Hill:-

1-40 Celtic
33-1 Motherwell
66-1 Aberdeen
66-1 Hearts
100-1 Inverness
125-1 Dundee United
125-1 Hibernian
125-1 St Johnstone
150-1 Ross County
250-1 Kilmarnock
250-1 Partick Thistle
250-1 St Mirren

Those are the odds to win the league.

just_joe
02-06-2013, 04:31 PM
The odds are better yes. The ladbrokes I go to normally give me prices from there website. For example I once got evs chelsea when they were 4/6 on the coupon. online is obviously just to encourage gambling so just go easy haha. In my personal experience I would say bet365 is the best online site. Always been paid out without any problems. they have live chat if you need anything answered. Just keep away from roulette/bingo etc. If you stick to football,horses,greyhounds etc then you cant go wrong.

pedroorange1875
02-06-2013, 04:57 PM

1-40 Celtic
33-1 Motherwell
66-1 Aberdeen
66-1 Hearts
100-1 Inverness
125-1 Dundee United
125-1 Hibernian
125-1 St Johnstone
150-1 Ross County
250-1 Kilmarnock
250-1 Partick Thistle
250-1 St Mirren

Do the bookies seriously think we are longer odds than Hearts?

Steve20
02-06-2013, 05:00 PM

I would imagine Hearts will bring in higher profile players than us this summer, so it makes sense.

jonny
02-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Partick are 250/1 - they ought to be 1,000,000/1, not a snipe at Thistle but come on - thats ridiculous

LioNeilMessi
02-06-2013, 07:07 PM

The difference between Hibs and Hearts odds is probably down to the more bets being placed on Hearts? More delusion from our neighbours as we'd expect :greengrin

just_joe
02-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Or maybe the reason no matter what the odds are theres only 1 team whos going to win the league.

_hucks_
03-06-2013, 08:32 AM
Partick are 250/1 - they ought to be 1,000,000/1, not a snipe at Thistle but come on - thats ridiculous

Wouldn't allow them to build a balanced book though. They'll be aiming for a scenario whereby no matter who wins, they'll be making profit on the market, which they clearly feel they can do with the current prices.

As for the OP, yes, most chains will offer better prices online than in the shops, although Paddy Power are the notable exception: online and in shop prices will be exactly the same.

Renfrew_Hibby
03-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Anti-post odds are usually priced up by a couple of odds compilers in London, their knowledge of Scottish football is limited and odds tend to be based in my opinion on the higher the profile a club has. For the last few seasons regardless of form, pre-season build up or anything else Hearts have been outright 3rd favs or 2nd favs last year without reason! This is the first time in donks they have been as big as they are now. As for online being better value, this is generally the rule as shops do have bigger overheads, which is obvious. The one thing I would say for shops is that (hopefully) its a better experience for the customer as a lot of bookies are wee social hubs and if you have good staff the customers value their advice and trust them! I manage a bookies, a Corals, so im biased but its much more fun in my shop that staring at a laptop :agree:

Killiehibbie
03-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Online prices for football matches are generally lower margin than in shops. The thing that really bugs me is how quick they are to cut prices in shops, to match online activity, but don't push out the other team or the draw. Remember these blood suckers will take every penny you have but if you dare to take a few quid off them you'll be shown the door.

LancashireHibby
03-06-2013, 09:16 AM
I use BetFred, it comes in handy that you don't have to put in a minimum deposit if you want to just chuck a couple of quid on something.

Killiehibbie
03-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Anti-post odds are usually priced up by a couple of odds compilers in London, their knowledge of Scottish football is limited and odds tend to be based in my opinion on the higher the profile a club has. For the last few seasons regardless of form, pre-season build up or anything else Hearts have been outright 3rd favs or 2nd favs last year without reason! This is the first time in donks they have been as big as they are now. As for online being better value, this is generally the rule as shops do have bigger overheads, which is obvious. The one thing I would say for shops is that (hopefully) its a better experience for the customer as a lot of bookies are wee social hubs and if you have good staff the customers value their advice and trust them! I manage a bookies, a Corals, so im biased but its much more fun in my shop that staring at a laptop :agree:Is it company policy that any bet for a horse must be phoned for ptl before 11 am? Or they just scared in my local Coral?

heretoday
03-06-2013, 10:59 AM
The odds are better yes. The ladbrokes I go to normally give me prices from there website. For example I once got evs chelsea when they were 4/6 on the coupon. online is obviously just to encourage gambling so just go easy haha. In my personal experience I would say bet365 is the best online site. Always been paid out without any problems. they have live chat if you need anything answered. Just keep away from roulette/bingo etc. If you stick to football,horses,greyhounds etc then you cant go wrong.

Don't worry. I won't be going near any roulette wheeler dealers! I don't bet much - just on golf or tennis - which is why I'm a bit naive about the bookies. I just assumed that the price on the website is universal and is displayed in the shops too.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-06-2013, 11:49 AM
I like Betfair, especially good if you fancy a punt on an outsider in a betting market.

Renfrew_Hibby
03-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Is it company policy that any bet for a horse must be phoned for ptl before 11 am? Or they just scared in my local Coral?
If it's an early price over a certain limit you're asking for then yes it is company policy.

Killiehibbie
03-06-2013, 03:22 PM
If it's an early price over a certain limit you're asking for then yes it is company policy.Then almost always only offer £25?

Time For Heroes
03-06-2013, 03:32 PM

1-40 Celtic
33-1 Motherwell
66-1 Aberdeen
66-1 Hearts
100-1 Inverness
125-1 Dundee United
125-1 Hibernian
125-1 St Johnstone
150-1 Ross County
250-1 Kilmarnock
250-1 Partick Thistle
250-1 St Mirren

:aok: 4th favs should surely make for decent odds on relegation.
:cb

hfc rd
03-06-2013, 07:54 PM
:aok: 4th favs should surely make for decent odds on relegation.
:cb

Certainly does :)

Green Reaper
04-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Certainly does :)

oddschecker showing 16/1 at bet victor, no others have odds up yet,unless i am misreading it

Killiehibbie
04-06-2013, 09:14 PM
oddschecker showing 16/1 at bet victor, no others have odds up yet,unless i am misreading it
You read it correctly. For next season 188bet quote Dundee but not Hearts, maybe they know something the rest of them don't :greengrin

allezsauzee
04-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Betfair used to nearly always offer the best odds but the bookies are becoming much more competitive when you take into account betfair's 5% commission. Betvictor is usually pretty competitive. Normally pays to open up a few accounts and shop around on oddschecker. I usually open a few accounts during the Cheltenham festival for free bets:wink:

Speedy
04-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Anti-post odds are usually priced up by a couple of odds compilers in London, their knowledge of Scottish football is limited and odds tend to be based in my opinion on the higher the profile a club has. For the last few seasons regardless of form, pre-season build up or anything else Hearts have been outright 3rd favs or 2nd favs last year without reason! This is the first time in donks they have been as big as they are now. As for online being better value, this is generally the rule as shops do have bigger overheads, which is obvious. The one thing I would say for shops is that (hopefully) its a better experience for the customer as a lot of bookies are wee social hubs and if you have good staff the customers value their advice and trust them! I manage a bookies, a Corals, so im biased but its much more fun in my shop that staring at a laptop :agree:

There is always a bit of an unknown with Hearts. Despite them almost going bust there's always a chance they bring in good players on £15k a week.

Green Reaper
05-06-2013, 12:50 AM
if you bet on them to finish bottom and they end up going bust what happens,money back?

hfc rd
05-06-2013, 10:15 AM
if you bet on them to finish bottom and they end up going bust what happens,money back?

Probably as that is the fairest thing to do. But then again, it won't surprise me if some bookies being tight ersed a*******, they will just obviously stop taking bets and pocket the money for themselves.