PDA

View Full Version : Strikers next season

hibeequinn
02-06-2013, 12:39 PM
was just arguing with a yam friend and he thinks were ****ed next season as he thinks we wont have a good enough strike force and he's adamant that boyd and goodwillie are signing for the yams whats a realistic partnership upfront for us next season?

West hamBERNIAN
02-06-2013, 01:28 PM
was just arguing with a yam friend and he thinks were ****ed next season as he thinks we wont have a good enough strike force and he's adamant that boyd and goodwillie are signing for the yams whats a realistic partnership upfront for us next season?

Im confident we will have a far superior strike force to that mob. They'd be lucky to land an ageing Colin Nish, never mind goodwillie! Can't beleive that A: they still think they can attract top Scottish players and B: pay them. Deluded.

PeterboroHibee
02-06-2013, 01:29 PM
The striker situation is a concern, we are losing Griffiths and Doyle who between them scored 33 of our 49 league goals this season, its too heavily skewed towards a tiny group of players (with Wotherspoon the next highest at 4). Craig should help out in that respect, and with more games Handling and Caldwell will chip in, but we really need a couple of strikers brought in, and ideally one who can slot in straight away and doesnt need any time to adapt.

Broken Gnome
02-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Im confident we will have a far superior strike force to that mob. They'd be lucky to land an ageing Colin Nish, never mind goodwillie! Can't beleive that A: they still think they can attract top Scottish players and B: pay them. Deluded.

A - They'd be right.

B - They'd be wrong.

West hamBERNIAN
02-06-2013, 01:46 PM
A - They'd be right.

B - They'd be wrong.

A- really?

The Leith Dutch
02-06-2013, 01:57 PM
A - They'd be right.

B - They'd be wrong.

Sad to say this is spot on. It would not surprise me in the least if the yams were lining up next season with Boyd and Goodwillie.

While I would have my reservations about either player at Hibs (Boyd because I don't think we need a poacher and Goodwillie because he's a return to the bam culture) I'd have little doubt that it would be an effective SPL strike pairing.

I don't understand how they can do this and it really hacks me off that they get away with it - how a club on the verge of insolvency, running up massive operating losses and with a history of non payment of wages can continue to attract big players is beyond me.

I'm also concerned about what we're going to have up front. I'd love to have Leigh Griffiths back but it's very much hope over expectation now as I can't see Petrie shelling out a few hundred thousand for anyone. Even if he does there's the wages other clubs may offer and I can't hand on heart hold that against Sparky - he's worked his backside off with us to get what may be offered to him elsewhere.

In my opinion we absolutely must sign 2 first team strikers in this transfer window and that's a tall order. The boy Boyce(?) from Northern Ireland looks like he'll be one but that's a big risk in my opinion as he's playing at a much lower level. If it is to be him then the other one has to be someone who is a proven goalscorer at SPL level at least.

Even then we're still light up front for numbers and it's probably a step backwards from where we currently are. Put it like this - if Pat Fenlon signs two strikers who bag 15 a piece this season then objectively you'd have to say he's done well. Subjectively that's a good 10 goals less than Leigh and Eoin managed this season.

Worrying :(

pontius pilate
02-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Whilst the striker situation is worrying I'm not going to fret too much the window has just opened and I'm sure both paddy and rod will pull something magical out the hat. Over in the yam sight I really wouldn't worry too much bad cock is not going to the yams Dundee Utd will get him and Boyd well he will stay at killie.

hibeequinn
02-06-2013, 02:18 PM
It is looking worrying like a few rumours going about that wolves want 250k for griffiths but as a said rumours.

Hibernia&Alba
02-06-2013, 02:19 PM
It is looking worrying like a few rumours going about that wolves want 250k for griffiths but as a said rumours.

An absolute bargain if true!!

pontius pilate
02-06-2013, 02:24 PM
What's more worrying if the rumour is true about Blackpool offering £400k. But in rod and paddy we trust I'm sure they will sign at least one quality striker.

Broken Gnome
02-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Sad to say this is spot on. It would not surprise me in the least if the yams were lining up next season with Boyd and Goodwillie.

I don't understand how they can do this and it really hacks me off that they get away with it - how a club on the verge of insolvency, running up massive operating losses and with a history of non payment of wages can continue to attract big players is beyond me.

I wouldn't worry about it :greengrin

The first point stands though, both would play for Hearts.

Hermit Crab
02-06-2013, 02:49 PM

They have a 3k a week wage cap for any new contracts.

Hermit Crab
02-06-2013, 02:50 PM

They want 500k

Hibernia&Alba
02-06-2013, 02:55 PM
They want 500k

Still a bargain in today's crazy transfer market and surely achievable for us?

jethart hibee
02-06-2013, 02:59 PM
hopefully we get leigh back, I would also like to see a big striker who can get on to crosses and corners with his head as we were not a big threat in that area last season. a striker like that would help our defence on the training pitch as well as we were suspect at the back in dealing with this kind of threat. we will only get better in these areas if the balance is right and the players are dealing with things day in day out.

Humo
02-06-2013, 03:07 PM
They want 500k

If we can pay that for Stokes who was a risk, we can pay that for Griffiths where there is little (IMO no) risk about him not being able to score goals. Also we will most likely get a larger future fee from him and he loves the club.

Kato
02-06-2013, 03:08 PM
They have a 3k a week wage cap for any new contracts.

..and they will struggle to meet those terms when it comes to coughing up.

lyonhibs
02-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Still a bargain in today's crazy transfer market (yes) and surely achievable for us? (no)

Hibs have only spent 400,000 or above in transfer fees about 3 times in my lifetime, when there was a lot more money in Scottish football and/or in our coffers.

No way do we have half a million quid to throw at one transfer fee sadly.

Fergus52
02-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Hibs have only spent 400,000 or above in transfer fees about 3 times in my lifetime, when there was a lot more money in Scottish football and/or in our coffers.

No way do we have half a million quid to throw at one transfer fee sadly.

Stokes and Riordan cost about that each.

And then there was the summer we signed rankin Nish makalamby and o'brien who cost over 500k between them.

Sir David Gray
02-06-2013, 11:28 PM
Strikers are a must for us over the summer.

Doyle's obviously away already and Griffiths' future is very much uncertain at this stage.

That leaves us with Handling and Caldwell for next season. We're going to need at least two strikers to come in over the summer with hopefully a bit of experience at a decent level.

It's unrealistic to expect us to be able to replace Leigh Griffiths if he does go elsewhere but we certainly need to bolster the squad.

monktonharp
02-06-2013, 11:58 PM
is this the official start of silly season? everyone that owns even a cuddly hibee teddy, wears green underpants or hibs jammies at nightime wants Leigh Griffiths to be in our squad next season. I am not knocking any of the previous guys' suggestions but we need to be realisistic. Rod Petrie has a bit of previous, and we know he's as tight as a duck's erse.I'm sure he's probably a nice..............haud oan, I'm not entirely sure about him at all so cancel that. we can only hope that something can be worked out, between the new Wolverhampton Wanderers manger/his guvnor/RP/and Griffiths' Agent/PFenlon. It's a pure bummer, that LG wants to stay with us, but is restrained by this clause that WW have invoked but we can hope. if it happens, braw. but even then, we do need another striker. looking forward to seeing more of our young laddies breaking through but we do need a bit of experience up front.Fenlon seems to be doing all the right things at this early stage but he needs backing from above too.

monktonharp
03-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Strikers are a must for us over the summer.

Doyle's obviously away already and Griffiths' future is very much uncertain at this stage.

That leaves us with Handling and Caldwell for next season. We're going to need at least two strikers to come in over the summer with hopefully a bit of experience at a decent level.

It's unrealistic to expect us to be able to replace Leigh Griffiths if he does go elsewhere but we certainly need to bolster the squad.

I'm quite relaxed with Doyle moving on. IF he sees Chesterfield as his next move, and the best option then , all the best. who the hell is his agent?

Iain G
03-06-2013, 12:14 AM
I'm quite relaxed with Doyle moving on. IF he sees Chesterfield as his next move, and the best option then , all the best. who the hell is his agent?

Maybe the Kuqi monster will come onto a game bext season with a proper preseason training ;-)

PeterboroHibee
03-06-2013, 07:07 AM

Its a silly move by Doyle. Id imagine it was either a split decision based on the fact he spent a period of games on the bench, or the agent in his ear trying to convince him to move.

He had a good chance of being first choice striker next season, I cant understand why he would rather go to League 2 (unless he is being offered a lot more money). If you look at someone like Clayton Donaldson, he went down there at a similair age, scored a lot of goals, and is still only at a League 1 club. I dont know what Doyle's ambitions are, but Id say he would have had a better chance of getting a bigger club in a better league (and hence more money) if he had stayed at Hibs and played well for a season or two.

Just_Jimmy
03-06-2013, 07:25 AM
If we cant score as many goals we need to get tighter at the back. Full backs required

The Leith Dutch
03-06-2013, 07:54 AM
If we cant score as many goals we need to get tighter at the back. Full backs required

The defense we have is good enough for what we're targeting next season (reading the thread on that). Not saying I wouldn't like a new right back but between Hanlon, McPake (fitness depending), McGivern, Forster, Clancy, Stevenson and the young lads I think we're as covered as we can afford to be given where we are with strikers and given strikers are the most expensive commodity in the game.

The strikers we currently have would not get us into the top 6 in my opinion....not even close.

I like Caldwell a lot but if he gets 20+ goals this season then the Hibs coaches are genius level and will be off to Barcelona as it would represent such an unprecedented leap forward that in any other sport the assumption would be performance enhancing drugs.

I think this season I'd be happy if Ross Caldwell can step up to be getting on with 20 minutes or so to go most games, start 5 or so games and hit double figures. That would represent real progress.

I just don't think we can (or should) try to defend our way to the top and for me the vast bulk of whatever Pat Fenlon has to spend needs to go on two first team strikers.

Scouse Hibee
03-06-2013, 08:37 AM
Its a silly move by Doyle. Id imagine it was either a split decision based on the fact he spent a period of games on the bench, or the agent in his ear trying to convince him to move.

He had a good chance of being first choice striker next season, I cant understand why he would rather go to League 2 (unless he is being offered a lot more money). If you look at someone like Clayton Donaldson, he went down there at a similair age, scored a lot of goals, and is still only at a League 1 club. I dont know what Doyle's ambitions are, but Id say he would have had a better chance of getting a bigger club in a better league (and hence more money) if he had stayed at Hibs and played well for a season or two.

If that's the case thank **** he has decided to move on, not good enough to be the main source of our goals for next season.

JimBHibees
03-06-2013, 08:40 AM

I think the main motivation for Doyle to leave was that it was his ex Sligo manager he was moving to, that and at the time he wasnt getting much game time. I liked him as a player however I would be surprised if we werent able to replace with better.

NOLA
03-06-2013, 08:44 AM
We need 2 strikers in, but then most clubs are in the hunt for decent quality goalscorers, some players won't be released from their respective clubs till replacements are in place so looks like a long summer ahead for us

truehibernian
03-06-2013, 08:48 AM
The defense we have is good enough for what we're targeting next season (reading the thread on that). Not saying I wouldn't like a new right back but between Hanlon, McPake (fitness depending), McGivern, Forster, Clancy, Stevenson and the young lads I think we're as covered as we can afford to be given where we are with strikers and given strikers are the most expensive commodity in the game.

The strikers we currently have would not get us into the top 6 in my opinion....not even close.

I like Caldwell a lot but if he gets 20+ goals this season then the Hibs coaches are genius level and will be off to Barcelona as it would represent such an unprecedented leap forward that in any other sport the assumption would be performance enhancing drugs.

I think this season I'd be happy if Ross Caldwell can step up to be getting on with 20 minutes or so to go most games, start 5 or so games and hit double figures. That would represent real progress.

I just don't think we can (or should) try to defend our way to the top and for me the vast bulk of whatever Pat Fenlon has to spend needs to go on two first team strikers.

I'm not one for predicting scoring tables but Ross has not a bad tally so far in his limited outings - the thing with Ross, if you watch him at youth level, is that he will definitely get 5 or 6 chances in a game and score one (or two). He is a bit 'McCoist like' in his goals to chances ratios but he never ever lets his head drop - he works damn hard in games. That is all you can ask of any player, particularly a striker whose performance is very much based on confidence from scoring.

As long as Ross is played up top, and not tinkered with as a wide player or asked to plough a lone furrow, he will bang in plenty of goals. He works best as a 'two up top' and will be a superb striker for Hibs - as will Danny Handling as long as Pat again plays him up front - not a fan of this 'play a striker in the wide area' routine (as he did with Eoin too). None are wingers so don't play them there in my opinion - if you want wingers, go out and buy them for the coming season.

It'll damage the confidence of Danny in particular if he is played in an area where he isn't as strong. And I think both RC and DH are a potent pairing - they have proved as such at every level they have played and senior level will be no different.

bingo70
03-06-2013, 09:18 AM
I'm not one for predicting scoring tables but Ross has not a bad tally so far in his limited outings - the thing with Ross, if you watch him at youth level, is that he will definitely get 5 or 6 chances in a game and score one (or two). He is a bit 'McCoist like' in his goals to chances ratios but he never ever lets his head drop - he works damn hard in games. That is all you can ask of any player, particularly a striker whose performance is very much based on confidence from scoring.

As long as Ross is played up top, and not tinkered with as a wide player or asked to plough a lone furrow, he will bang in plenty of goals. He works best as a 'two up top' and will be a superb striker for Hibs - as will Danny Handling as long as Pat again plays him up front - not a fan of this 'play a striker in the wide area' routine (as he did with Eoin too). None are wingers so don't play them there in my opinion - if you want wingers, go out and buy them for the coming season.

It'll damage the confidence of Danny in particular if he is played in an area where he isn't as strong. And I think both RC and DH are a potent pairing - they have proved as such at every level they have played and senior level will be no different.

It didn't do Fletch any harm to be played out wide when he broke into the team and looking at Handlings stature i would worry about him getting bullied by experienced defenders so i can see the logic to introduce him in areas where he's going to get more space.

I wonder with Caldwell how much he relied on his strength in the younger age groups, i only watched one youth game so you'll be better placed to answer that, in that game though he chucked about the hearts defenders like they weren't there. He won't be able to do that in the first team, not for a few years yet anyway so i do have my concerns about him as i don't know if there's enough other attributes to his game to get him by the next few years. I watched the last derby on the tele and i felt there was a couple of chances if he gambled he would have got a tap in but his movement in the box wasn't up to much.

Want to stress i'm not righting these guys off but i just don't think they've done enough to be considered as players we can rely on yet.

Brightside
03-06-2013, 09:30 AM
It didn't do Fletch any harm to be played out wide when he broke into the team and looking at Handlings stature i would worry about him getting bullied by experienced defenders so i can see the logic to introduce him in areas where he's going to get more space.

I wonder with Caldwell how much he relied on his strength in the younger age groups, i only watched one youth game so you'll be better placed to answer that, in that game though he chucked about the hearts defenders like they weren't there. He won't be able to do that in the first team, not for a few years yet anyway so i do have my concerns about him as i don't know if there's enough other attributes to his game to get him by the next few years. I watched the last derby on the tele and i felt there was a couple of chances if he gambled he would have got a tap in but his movement in the box wasn't up to much.

Want to stress i'm not righting these guys off but i just don't think they've done enough to be considered as players we can rely on yet.

Handling and Caldwell will score plenty next year. But they are trying to get someone a bit older in on loan.

J-C
03-06-2013, 09:32 AM

Arsene Wenger is an advocate of giving young strikers time out on the wings, hasn't done Theo Walcott any harm.

truehibernian
03-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Arsene Wenger is an advocate of giving young strikers time out on the wings, hasn't done Theo Walcott any harm.

True, but Theo Walcott has lightening pace wherever he plays and has pretty much forced AW's hand by stating to the media (and behind it) he wants to play up front hence the contract dispute.

Danny doesn't have a great deal of pace. Danny is a very neat, clever player with good awareness and it's his technical ability that gets him past players.

Maybe I'm old fashioned - but I like my wide players having the pace to get by players and in behind - whether inside or outside. Something Hibs have been lacking for a good few seasons in my opinion. Hibs are very one dimensional in attack and very narrow. Which makes us easy to read up top. Motherwell are where they are because they have genuine pace and width from 3 or 4 players - Higdon, as good as his strike rate was, benefited from terrific assists from the wide men.

GlenrothesHibee
03-06-2013, 09:45 AM
I think the main motivation for Doyle to leave was that it was his ex Sligo manager he was moving to, that and at the time he wasnt getting much game time. I liked him as a player however I would be surprised if we werent able to replace with better.

There was something about Doyle i liked. In saying that his first touch is awful. Something he can improve though. Would have kept him as backup but the boy obviously wants to be first team regular. He will score goals in league 2.

The Leith Dutch
03-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Handling and Caldwell will score plenty next year. But they are trying to get someone a bit older in on loan.

Just for clarity sake - I really like both Caldwell and Handling and I'd certainly hope they feature a lot more prominently next season.

I'd also love what you say about them scoring plenty next season to be true and I very much hope it does work out that way.

All that said I'd think if we went into next season with just them and, say, Liam Boyce I'd be very worried.

I'd like to see two first choice strikers - at least one of them proven at SPL level - brought in and Caldwell and Handling champing at the bit to get on and trying to prove the manager wrong for leaving them out.

DH1875
03-06-2013, 11:20 AM

Oh great. As if the football wasn't eye bleeding enough at times last year. We need at least two strikers through the door and we need them soon. Would love one of them to be Leigh but anyone thinking Rod will splash out £500k is living in cuckoo land.

scoopyboy
03-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Oh great. As if the football wasn't eye bleeding enough at times last year. We need at least two strikers through the door and we need them soon. Would love one of them to be Leigh but anyone thinking Rod will splash out £500k is living in cuckoo land.

Wolves want £500,000, they won't get it.

If they really wanted £500,000 then they would have set the price higher, eg £750,000.

I still think we have a fighting chance of getting him.

DH1875
03-06-2013, 12:14 PM
[/B]

Wolves want £500,000, they won't get it.

If they really wanted £500,000 then they would have set the price higher, eg £750,000.

I still think we have a fighting chance of getting him.

Have they not already rejected an offer of £450k from a championship club though :confused:.

jacomo
03-06-2013, 12:25 PM
is this the official start of silly season? everyone that owns even a cuddly hibee teddy, wears green underpants or hibs jammies at nightime wants Leigh Griffiths to be in our squad next season. I am not knocking any of the previous guys' suggestions but we need to be realisistic. Rod Petrie has a bit of previous, and we know he's as tight as a duck's erse.I'm sure he's probably a nice..............haud oan, I'm not entirely sure about him at all so cancel that. we can only hope that something can be worked out, between the new Wolverhampton Wanderers manger/his guvnor/RP/and Griffiths' Agent/PFenlon. It's a pure bummer, that LG wants to stay with us, but is restrained by this clause that WW have invoked but we can hope. if it happens, braw. but even then, we do need another striker. looking forward to seeing more of our young laddies breaking through but we do need a bit of experience up front.Fenlon seems to be doing all the right things at this early stage but he needs backing from above too.

It will come down to wages. LG's been on loan from Wolves - I would guess that he's been earning considerably more than we can afford, given that Wolves were in the EPL when he signed his contract.

If LG genuinely does want to play for Hibs next season, he'll need to take a pay cut... is he really willing to do that?

Personally, I think it would be a good investment in his career - Hibs has clearly been good for him, he's the main man and has developed hugely as a footballer. We shall see.

southsider
03-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Heard ex well striker David Clarkson having talks with us this week.

scoopyboy
03-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Have they not already rejected an offer of £450k from a championship club though :confused:.

Not sure, £400,000 from Blackpool was mooted but that has been poo pood by sources.

At the end of the Sparky can simply say "f*** it, am no gaun there".

Sylar
03-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Not sure, £400,000 from Blackpool was mooted but that has been poo pood by sources.

At the end of the Sparky can simply say "f*** it, am no gaun there".

That doesn't mean Wolves will eventually settle for a lower fee. Sparky can display such a sentiment to every club who comes in for him but if Wolves value him at a certain figure, they're not going to suddenly accept a nominal percentage of that to appease either Griffiths or Hibs.

SMAXXA
03-06-2013, 12:45 PM
That doesn't mean Wolves will eventually settle for a lower fee. Sparky can display such a sentiment to every club who comes in for him but if Wolves value him at a certain figure, they're not going to suddenly accept a nominal percentage of that to appease either Griffiths or Hibs.

I wouldn't be so sure, get something or get nothing will be a big factor, they will be in need of revenue with them falling through the championship trapdoor and if LG says he will stick it out and sign for Hibs in January and they will get nowt, it may force their hand.

HibbyAndy
03-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Heard ex well striker David Clarkson having talks with us this week.

Ive heard we have already held talks.

J-C
03-06-2013, 12:55 PM
True, but Theo Walcott has lightening pace wherever he plays and has pretty much forced AW's hand by stating to the media (and behind it) he wants to play up front hence the contract dispute.

Danny doesn't have a great deal of pace. Danny is a very neat, clever player with good awareness and it's his technical ability that gets him past players.

Maybe I'm old fashioned - but I like my wide players having the pace to get by players and in behind - whether inside or outside. Something Hibs have been lacking for a good few seasons in my opinion. Hibs are very one dimensional in attack and very narrow. Which makes us easy to read up top. Motherwell are where they are because they have genuine pace and width from 3 or 4 players - Higdon, as good as his strike rate was, benefited from terrific assists from the wide men.

I think it's more about learning to play in other positions up front which will in the end aid your growth as a striker, not a bad thing allowing these younger players play time by getting them on the park, even if it is out on the wing somewhere.

NOLA
03-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Ive heard we have already held talks.

Didn't get that from the PM board did ya ;)

scoopyboy
03-06-2013, 02:06 PM

That's right, they can hold out for £500,000 if they so wish.

Leigh can turn down any club he wishes.

Already the makings of a stalemate.

Leigh can say tell you what Wolves, I'll see out the year of my contract and if you play me in the first team or reserves I'll try my best. Whether he does or not Wolves will have to pay his wages.

At Crimbo he can sign a pre contract with Hibs and again stay with Wolves until it (his year option) runs out. I would bet by this time Wolves and Leigh would be glad to see the back of each other.

It's not only me that can see this however, both Hibs and Wolves know the score.

It's a game of poker at the moment that can go either way IMO.

hibeequinn
03-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Tom Pope from port vale ??

pontius pilate
03-06-2013, 03:03 PM

I heard that same rumour about an 1hr ago don't know if we have showed interest or if we are being serious and make an offer.
Thinking if who we have supposedly been linked with it could be a fearsome frontline.
Sparky
Higdon
Boyce
Pope
Taylor
Watt.
Any of they 2 would tear up the spl my own ideal pairing would be sparky and higdon.
GGTTH

J-C
03-06-2013, 03:07 PM
That's right, they can hold out for £500,000 if they so wish.

Leigh can turn down any club he wishes.

Already the makings of a stalemate.

Leigh can say tell you what Wolves, I'll see out the year of my contract and if you play me in the first team or reserves I'll try my best. Whether he does or not Wolves will have to pay his wages.

At Crimbo he can sign a pre contract with Hibs and again stay with Wolves until it (his year option) runs out. I would bet by this time Wolves and Leigh would be glad to see the back of each other.

It's not only me that can see this however, both Hibs and Wolves know the score.

It's a game of poker at the moment that can go either way IMO.

:agree:

Scottie
I heard that same rumour about an 1hr ago don't know if we have showed interest or if we are being serious and make an offer.
Thinking if who we have supposedly been linked with it could be a fearsome frontline.
Sparky
Higdon
Boyce
Pope
Taylor
Watt.
Any of they 2 would tear up the spl my own ideal pairing would be sparky and higdon.
GGTTH

Is that Tony Watt of Smeltic ? Haven't heard that if it is . :confused:

blackpoolhibs
This Blackpool rumour has not been heard by anyone down here, and there's been nothing in the local papers about it?

hibeequinn
Sparky
Higdon
Boyce
Pope
Taylor
Watt.
GGTTH

Watt?? as in tony watt would that be a loan or perm deal.

pontius pilate
03-06-2013, 03:13 PM
I've heard it could be a loan yep tiny watt from smeltic. Again these are rumours I've heard so wouldn't take it as gospel.

pontius pilate
03-06-2013, 03:14 PM
This Blackpool rumour has not been heard by anyone down here, and there's been nothing in the local papers about it?

As I said mate it was a rumour if heard again with the window just opening it's turning into silly season. I've also heard we could be close to a deal for sparky but wether that's true or not is anyone's guess

adhibs
03-06-2013, 03:14 PM

Hes under contract untill 2015 so cant see that ever happening

Scottie
03-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Haven't heard the Paddy McCourt rumours yet
Seem to be linked with him every window.Free agent NO fee. Playing just behind the strikers = Goals Goals Goals :wink:

Liams
03-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Dont want loans, only perm deals, how is a team meant to build/grow when you may have to replace key players every year/6months.

So that would rule out watt for me as celtic wouldnt be daft about selling him as he is a great talent and with hooper likely away he would feature more

NOLA
03-06-2013, 04:23 PM
"Pope sinks the hearts" has a nice ring to it :greengrin

hfc rd
03-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Haven't heard the Paddy McCourt rumours yet
Seem to be linked with him every window.Free agent NO fee. Playing just behind the strikers = Goals Goals Goals :wink:

He'd be a great signing.

woodythehibee
03-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Would be a great signing to get pope but highly unlikely. Just got promoted with Vale so loads of clubs would be interested. Also, he's a huge port vale fan so I doubt he would leave to move to the Spl.

bingo70
03-06-2013, 04:40 PM
I'm guessing the tom pope rumour has just appeared on that football-rumours website? Anyone able to check? If its on there then guaranteed to be nonsense.

J-C
03-06-2013, 04:41 PM
So did someone pray for a striker and Tom Pope's name popped up. :greengrin

Aldo
03-06-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm guessing the tom pope rumour has just appeared on that football-rumours website? Anyone able to check? If its on there then guaranteed to be nonsense.

O yes indeed. Put on it this afternoon. Some folk will believe anything these days.

Site is full of the proverbial

Franck Stanton
03-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Re the Griffiths situation, if we don't sign him this window, he will just sit tight until the Jan window when he will sign a pre-contract with us forcing Wolves hand to accept a reduced offer either way he will be playing for us this season.

The Leith Dutch
03-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Re the Griffiths situation, if we don't sign him this window, he will just sit tight until the Jan window when he will sign a pre-contract with us forcing Wolves hand to accept a reduced offer either way he will be playing for us this season.

The worry isn't Wolves wanting to keep him - it's the fact that whether they want 100k or 500k that's a lot of money for Hibs (more than we have if it's nearer the 500k as I'd expect it is).

Meanwhile that's small change for Championship clubs or clubs in the lower leagues with a reasonably well off backer and Leigh Griffiths has a much higher profile following an excellent season.

I know Sparky loves Hibs but - and I can't begrudge him this - he's likely to receive a lot more in wages at one of those clubs than we can offer.

If he turns down those offers and forces through a move to Hibs it's going to be an act of self sacrifice that that merits a ******g statue.

goosefat
03-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Given that Fenlon has been aware for some time now that Griffiths (we assume) and Doyle (we know) will not be with us next season, he has had plenty of time to plan ahead so it will be pretty disappointing if he doesn't bring in at least a couple of half decent replacements - unless of course he thinks that Handling and Caldwell are enough (which I doubt he does).

I happen to think that the young lads both have bags of potential but we probably need a couple of more experienced front men to work with them.

:dunno:

Velma Dinkley
03-06-2013, 07:29 PM
is T. Pope catholic?

The Leith Dutch
04-06-2013, 06:39 AM
is T. Pope catholic?

Not sure, but I have it on good authority he likes to **** in the woods......

eastmainsmsh
04-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Lee Miller :wink:

basehibby
05-06-2013, 08:59 AM

Doyle WAS a winger - until injuries left his Irish club short up front and he switched to CF to great effect before being snapped up by Hibs.

Tend to agree that most strikers struggle up front on their own. However, it is also dependant on having the sort of midfielders who will get forward to support - it can work a treat with the right personnel and tactics.

Paisley Hibby
05-06-2013, 07:52 PM

Sorry but Caldwell and Handling are MILES away fron the standard we need. That was very clear from the cup final. Maybe in a few years one of them (or hopefully both) will get close but if we try to rely on them too much just now it could destroy their careers. Even if we manage to hold on to Griffiths we need another proven striker. But holding onto Griffiths would probably bust the budget and mean we can't afford anybody else decent. So strange to say but maybe if we don't keep Griffiths that would be a good thing as we might then have a better chance of being able to land two decent SPL level strikers?

LioNeilMessi
05-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Sorry but Caldwell and Handling are MILES away fron the standard we need. That was very clear from the cup final. Maybe in a few years one of them (or hopefully both) will get close but if we try to rely on them too much just now it could destroy their careers. Even if we manage to hold on to Griffiths we need another proven striker. But holding onto Griffiths would probably bust the budget and mean we can't afford anybody else decent. So strange to say but maybe if we don't keep Griffiths that would be a good thing as we might then have a better chance of being able to land two decent SPL level strikers?

Not seen enough game time of Danny Handling playing as a striker but Caldwell definitely seems to be right up there in terms of SPL standard and it would be very disappointing if he's not given a chance from the start of next season. I don't know why your basing their ability on the 20 minutes they played when 2-0 down to Celtic though, both had good performances at the tail end of the season against teams closer to our standard. I do agree though that we need at least two more proven strikers since we have 3 departing.

E10 Rifle
07-06-2013, 08:44 PM
I'd like to see us go for Simon Church who has just been released by Reading. Welsh international, young guy, physical enough for our game and knows where the net is. I am also assuming is now a free transfer. Did very well at lower league level in England when on loan and before anyone gets upset about that particular comparison and the SPL...so did a certain Gary Hooper before he was plucked by the Celts.

NadeAteMyLunch!
07-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Church and Pope would be a funny old strikeforce

E10 Rifle
08-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Church and Pope would be a funny old strikeforce

:greengrin

It would be a good challenge with Pope alongside hymn

West hamBERNIAN
14-06-2013, 11:40 PM

A - They'd be right.

B - They'd be wrong.

A- really?

While I would have my reservations about either player at Hibs (Boyd because I don't think we need a poacher and Goodwillie because he's a return to the bam culture) I'd have little doubt that it would be an effective SPL strike pairing.

I'm also concerned about what we're going to have up front. I'd love to have Leigh Griffiths back but it's very much hope over expectation now as I can't see Petrie shelling out a few hundred thousand for anyone. Even if he does there's the wages other clubs may offer and I can't hand on heart hold that against Sparky - he's worked his backside off with us to get what may be offered to him elsewhere.

In my opinion we absolutely must sign 2 first team strikers in this transfer window and that's a tall order. The boy Boyce(?) from Northern Ireland looks like he'll be one but that's a big risk in my opinion as he's playing at a much lower level. If it is to be him then the other one has to be someone who is a proven goalscorer at SPL level at least.

Even then we're still light up front for numbers and it's probably a step backwards from where we currently are. Put it like this - if Pat Fenlon signs two strikers who bag 15 a piece this season then objectively you'd have to say he's done well. Subjectively that's a good 10 goals less than Leigh and Eoin managed this season.

Worrying :(

like i said, we will have a better strikeforce than that mob and they would be very lucky to get colin nish! just sayin......

YehButNoBut
18-06-2013, 10:22 AM
So with Sparky almost certainly away for next season, who can we (realistically) get to replace him.

Ideally we get at least one striker in quickly, so we have a chance in the European game.

Higdon still available?

Lyle Taylor, is he up to it?

Liam Boyce, would he be good enough for the SPL?

Andy74
18-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Not seen enough game time of Danny Handling playing as a striker but Caldwell definitely seems to be right up there in terms of SPL standard and it would be very disappointing if he's not given a chance from the start of next season. I don't know why your basing their ability on the 20 minutes they played when 2-0 down to Celtic though, both had good performances at the tail end of the season against teams closer to our standard. I do agree though that we need at least two more proven strikers since we have 3 departing.

I just don't think Caldwell and Handling are good enough yet for where we want to be next year.

Two new strikers needed. Can we finally get the big, physical striker position right? If so we could start seeing goals from other areas a bit more often.

Higdon would be nice but I think he'll be off to England.

JimBHibees
18-06-2013, 10:33 AM
I just don't think Caldwell and Handling are good enough yet for where we want to be next year.

Two new strikers needed. Can we finally get the big, physical striker position right? If so we could start seeing goals from other areas a bit more often.

Higdon would be nice but I think he'll be off to England.

I think Lyle Taylor could be a decent signing. All be it on the back of only one game and one when he probably should have scored a couple, I thought his touch, strength and link up play was very good in the semi final. A good age and will probably only get better however was impressed though of course it should be noted it was the Hibs defence he was playing against. :greengrin

Heedersnvolleys
18-06-2013, 10:42 AM
I think Lyle Taylor could be a decent signing. All be it on the back of only one game and one when he probably should have scored a couple, I thought his touch, strength and link up play was very good in the semi final. A good age and will probably only get better however was impressed though of course it should be noted it was the Hibs defence he was playing against. :greengrin

and from a Falkirk ST holder I know he does not play or give the same effort as he did in the semi every week for them.

Andy74
18-06-2013, 10:46 AM
and from a Falkirk ST holder I know he does not play or give the same effort as he did in the semi every week for them.

I work with a couple of Falkirk fans who think he is hopeless. He is also under contract and I'm sure there are players out there for free just now who could do the job.

LeighLoyal
18-06-2013, 11:09 AM
I'll say it again, Derek Riordan should be given a chance. We don't want another Kuqi type signing surely.

Scouse Hibee
18-06-2013, 11:30 AM
I'll say it again, Derek Riordan should be given a chance. We don't want another Kuqi type signing surely.

Yet that is exactly what you propose. :confused:

Andy74
18-06-2013, 11:34 AM

Kuqi was playing regularly and scoring goals prior to signing. Riordan hasn't been. Don't really get what you mean?

J-C
18-06-2013, 11:46 AM
With news of Griffiths, 2 decent strikers are now a top priority, if we don't get them in soon, I think the new recruits we have brought in will be a waste of time if there's no strikers to supply.

Squealing pig
18-06-2013, 11:57 AM
What about lee miller, he's just been released has he no.
He would surley benefit the young boys but in the football field. If we signed 2 I'd hope for him and higdon.

Up The Bracket
18-06-2013, 12:14 PM

Oh dear

JimBHibees
18-06-2013, 01:11 PM
I work with a couple of Falkirk fans who think he is hopeless. He is also under contract and I'm sure there are players out there for free just now who could do the job.

Wow, a strange one that. Thought he looked good though his finishing wasn't the best in that game though he did score loads last season however his strength and link up play looked exactly what we need. If not him then someone of a similar ilk.

Since90+2
18-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Billy McKay at ICT could be an option.

He is under contract but given we did offer a fee to Wolves for Leigh we must have some money to offer , would probably not command as high wages as Leigh either.

Hibby 2005
18-06-2013, 02:01 PM

If Caldwell had started in the Final and Handling had come on after 20 mins to replace the injured Griffiths then we might have nicked a goal.

They're good enough for the SPL.

adhibs
18-06-2013, 02:08 PM
They're good enough for the SPL.

Good enough for us to finish 2nd tho? Ive not seen enough to suggest so and we shouldnt be aiming any lower

Tha Cabbage Kid
18-06-2013, 02:11 PM
What about lee miller, he's just been released has he no.
He would surley benefit the young boys but in the football field. If we signed 2 I'd hope for him and higdon.

i personally think he is a waste of time. ive watched him play for the boro and expected him to score alot of goals but he was soooo poor i was shoked. dont want him anywhere near a hibs top!

PeterboroHibee
18-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Good enough for us to finish 2nd tho? Ive not seen enough to suggest so and we shouldnt be aiming any lower

Looking at the SPL from this season, we would need to score a lot more goals to have finished 2nd (given that we had about the same goals against as Motherwell). I personally cant see Caldwell and Handling getting anywhere near the amount of goals Griffiths and Doyle scored this year, let alone surpassing it. I think there is potential with both of them, but they still need a lot of work as both of them look very raw.

LeighLoyal
18-06-2013, 02:15 PM
The derision for Riordan on here is a joke, if I was Locke I would take him straight away at TescoCastle and let him prove all you fools and know it alls wrong. Proven spl goal scorer, 30 y/o, will score at least 15 in the spl and will cost a minimal amount. Tony Stokes couldn't kick a ball in the English lower leagues before he came back up here.

YehButNoBut
18-06-2013, 02:19 PM

He is under contract but given we did offer a fee to Wolves for Leigh we must have some money to offer , would probably not command as high wages as Leigh either.

Billy McKay would be a good option & scored the same number of league goals as Sparky last season, ICT would not want to sell but surely we could tempt them and offer him a higher wage.

Also the 2 highest scorers in 1st Div were Lyle Taylor & Steven May both still very young & probably not any better than Caldwell & Handling.

Another one to consider would be Adam Rooney, we have been linked with him in the past & think he might be out of contract (not 100% sure of this). :greengrin

Since90+2
18-06-2013, 02:19 PM
The derision for Riordan on here is a joke, if I was Locke I would take him straight away at TescoCastle and let him prove all you fools and know it alls wrong. Proven spl goal scorer, 30 y/o, will score at least 15 in the spl and will cost a minimal amount. Tony Stokes couldn't kick a ball in the English lower leagues before he came back up here.

Since 2011 he has scored 1 goal in 24 appearances and you think he is going to score atleast 15 in one season!?

Riordan was a fantastic player but he is finished.

The Leith Dutch
18-06-2013, 02:31 PM

Derek Riordan has, down the years, been a wonderful player for Hibs (pretty sure that only the Famous Five and Joe Baker have scored more league goals for us than him).

There are two reasons for not taking him back (aside from the fact that returning to a club rarely works out well).

First off, most folk think he's shot as a player. The last couple of years should have seen him in his prime and yet he couldn't hold down a place at St Johnstone.

The second - and to me most important reason - is that Pat Fenlon has spent the last season and a half clearing out the dressing room of bams, heavy drinkers, poor trainers and other unprofessional elements in order to get a culture of winners rather than wasters.

Bringing back Riordan would be a step backward even if he hit 15 goals for us. It would be a huge step backward if he carries on his form of the last couple of years.

I wish the guy well and he's written his place in the history books of this club but we have to move on.

hfc rd
18-06-2013, 03:27 PM
What about that Moroccan striker that used to play for Falkirk. El Alagui?

StarMan10
18-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Hoping for big season from both Caldwell and Handling as they both shown glimpses of quality in their limited playing time.

We still need one striker however, one who will get 16-20 goals a season. I expect us to get more goals from midfield next season with Harris, Craig and Robertson all being capable of getting 5-10 goals a season. On top of that i'd hope Caldwell and Handling with more regular game time will get 15-20 goals between the two of them.

Whilst i don't think we'l replace Griffiths goals with one player who will get as many as he did, i reckon we will surpass our overall goals total for last season which was 49 i believe.

scoopyboy
18-06-2013, 04:52 PM

If anything or anybody is a joke on here it is you.

If you were Locke you would take him straight away, obviously you are unaware they can't sign any players due to transfer embargo and are about to go into administration.

He was a proven SPL goalscorer but what makes you think he will score at least 15 in the SPL?

When was the last time he scored 15 in the SPL?

I loved DR in his time at ER but unfortunately he has come and gone, when he left Bristol Rovers in December he didn't get a club. What does that tell you?

SMAXXA
18-06-2013, 05:00 PM

If you were Locke you would take him straight away, obviously you are unaware they can't sign any players due to transfer embargo and are about to go into administration.

He was a proven SPL goalscorer but what makes you think he will score at least 15 in the SPL?

I loved DR in his time at ER but unfortunately he has come and gone, when he left Bristol Rovers in December he didn't get a club. What does that tell you?

It tells you he is no longer good enough that's what it tells you. People need to give it up and move on, if we cant get better than DR of now (not in his prime) we would be in for a long hard season IMO. Let someone else come in and make a legacy for themselves, its done, he wont be back lets move on. :confused:

brian6-2
18-06-2013, 05:49 PM
What about that Moroccan striker that used to play for Falkirk. El Alagui?

He was great for Falkirk, went to Brentford though and didnt get much of a look in.

Diclonius
18-06-2013, 05:50 PM

Billy McKay would be excellent and I would be delighted if we signed him as a replacement for Leigh.

brian6-2
18-06-2013, 05:51 PM
I would be happy with Lyle Taylor as Leigh's replacement.

LeighLoyal
18-06-2013, 06:07 PM

I'm a joke for supporting the return of a player who'd play for us for free, third highest spl scorer, 30 years old? I hope Derek reads these forums and uses people like you for motivation. Time has gone my arse.

I suspect Hearts will be out of admin at some point either before or during the season and if they are it wouldn't need a transfer window to sign Riordan if he's available.

Heisenberg
18-06-2013, 06:08 PM
I'm a joke for supporting the return of a player who'd play for us for free, third highest spl scorer, 30 years old? I hope Derek reads these forums and uses people like you for motivation. Time has gone my arse.

I suspect Hearts will be out of admin at some point either before or during the season and if they are it wouldn't need a transfer window to sign Riordan if he's available.

What about their transfer ban though? DR is finished. He was brilliant in his two spells with us but he wont be able to do it again. Time to move on.

brian6-2
18-06-2013, 06:20 PM
I am also led to believe we have made an enquiry into the availability of David Clarkson from Bristol City.

Speedway
18-06-2013, 06:51 PM
He hasn't been hitting top gear for quite some time.

Hibs90
18-06-2013, 07:22 PM

:cb

weonlywon6-2
18-06-2013, 07:31 PM

Riordan at hearts,your having a laugh?

weonlywon6-2
18-06-2013, 07:37 PM

Riordan at hearts,your having a laugh?

Godsahibby
18-06-2013, 07:41 PM

That might be because the person who lays all the assists on keeps getting caught!!!

Scouse Hibee
18-06-2013, 07:44 PM

I'm pretty sure you have to be on the wind up but just in case you're not.............it's not derision for Deek on here it is folk facing reality, I have never slagged off Deek or been derisory towards him on this site and I never will. Let's face it he was a wonderful servant to Hibs but sadly his best days appear to be behind him for whatever reason. And before you ask the evidence has been plain for us all to see in Deek's last performances for us and his failure to secure a deal elsewhere. Even Deeks most ardent fans would choke at your suggestion that he could step back in and score at least 15 goals in the SPL.

Pretty Boy
18-06-2013, 07:50 PM

24 goals in 34 games last season.

Your workmate must be a hard man to please if that's hopeless.

Andy74
18-06-2013, 07:54 PM
24 goals in 34 games last season.

Your workmate must be a hard man to please if that's hopeless.

Agreed. He admitted goals wise it didn't make sense but just doesn't rate him for our level. I'm sure others who know Falkirk fans have mentioned similar comments.

truehibernian
18-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Agreed. He admitted goals wise it didn't make sense but just doesn't rate him for our level. I'm sure others who know Falkirk fans have mentioned similar comments.

I don't think Falkirk fans will have to 'suffer' Lyle much longer Andy - he's moving on - who knows, might be us Hibees having to endure the torture of his goals.

scoopyboy
18-06-2013, 08:08 PM
[QUOTE=LeighLoyal;3646600]I'm a joke for supporting the return of a player who'd play for us for free, third highest spl scorer, 30 years old? I hope Derek reads these forums and uses people like you for motivation. Time has gone my arse.

I suspect Hearts will be out of admin at some point either before or during the season and if they are it wouldn't need a transfer window to sign Riordan if he's available.[/QUOTE[/I]

I believe Deek made an offer to Hibs to play for free in January but I think it was only to the end of the season.

He needs a wage like the rest of us and I can't imagine he'd play for free anywhere now.

At 30 he shouldn't be washed up especially with the natural talent he has but unfortunately he might be.

Have you ever considered why he might be out of contract and available?

Without knowing the full facts I can't say I have heard of any club trying to sign him.

500miles
18-06-2013, 08:12 PM

Dunfermline fans and players enjoyed telling me Bamba was gash when we signed him.

Hopefully if we do, it's more of the same.

West hamBERNIAN
29-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Pre season has begun, with the chances we missed today by the sounds of it, we need a player to put the ball in the net. Who do you want/think we'll get? Providing we can't get sparky. Side note, don't mention that 30 year old thats past it.

YehButNoBut
30-06-2013, 06:38 AM
These are some of the strikers we have been linked with (not including the 31 year old who's past it), which of them will we sign??......if any.

Michael Higdon
Lyle Taylor
Rowan Vine
Tom Pope
Adam Rooney
Liam Boyce
Kenny Miller

brydekirk
30-06-2013, 06:57 AM
These are some of the strikers we have been linked with (not including the 31 year old who's past it), which of them will we sign??......if any.

Michael Higdon
Lyle Taylor
Rowan Vine
Tom Pope

Adam Rooney
Liam Boyce
Kenny Miller
IMO Adam Rooney would be our best shot, realistically.

Col2
30-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Adam Rooney and Lyle Taylor would do me. Strength and pace. Both MUST be realistic signings unless we are holding back for sparky.

Eyrie
30-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Depends how much Falkirk want for Taylor.

I'd be happy with Rooney and Killen. Give Killen a one year deal and target Griffiths in January on a pre-contract.

Scouse Hibee
30-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Adam Rooney and Lyle Taylor would do me. Strength and pace. Both MUST be realistic signings unless we are holding back for sparky.

I would say both are unrealistic unless Pat Fenlon has decided to allow .net to pick the players he signs!

West hamBERNIAN
30-06-2013, 12:36 PM
I would say both are unrealistic unless Pat Fenlon has decided to allow .net to pick the players he signs!

to be fair we normally manage to make a signing that we don't see happening, hopefully pat has a few hidden gems somewhere because I don't see Rooney being that good if he were to come. The way things are going over in Spain I thought we'd possibly see a few players coming too the spl. Obviously the la liga players will be out our reach but there must be some talent over there in the lower leagues.

Tyler Durden
30-06-2013, 12:46 PM

Today's Sun claims Hibs have had a £100k bid for Taylor rejected with Falkirk holding out for £150k. Interestingly it also says Killen is a target, despite Fenlons denials.

Also notes Toshney & McManus as targets. Hopefully there's some credence to this and they've not just lifted these names from this board!

DH1875
30-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Today's Sun claims Hibs have had a £100k bid for Taylor rejected with Falkirk holding out for £150k. Interestingly it also says Killen is a target, despite Fenlons denials.

Also notes Toshney & McManus as targets. Hopefully there's some credence to this and they've not just lifted these names from this board!

Really? God I hope not. That'll be some let down :confused:.

SmallvilleHibee
30-06-2013, 01:24 PM
ATM we need strikers and an ageing Kenny Miller and Chris Killen would do me fine but signing Taylor and/or Pope would be even better:aok:

West hamBERNIAN
30-06-2013, 01:50 PM
ATM we need strikers and an ageing Kenny Miller and Chris Killen would do me fine but signing Taylor and/or Pope would be even better:aok:

Was just looking on twitter and there's fans from all sorts of championship teams talking Lyle Taylor including middleboro. Was surprised to see he'd been noticed down south.

pontius pilate
30-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Thinking if oor rod made an offer for sparky to wolves which I reckon would've been more than £150k surely we could offer that for Taylor if that's what Falkirk want. Get him ties down on a 2 year deal which a bit of sell on it would be a great deal.

LeighLoyal
30-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Thinking if oor rod made an offer for sparky to wolves which I reckon would've been more than £150k surely we could offer that for Taylor if that's what Falkirk want. Get him ties down on a 2 year deal which a bit of sell on it would be a great deal.

If we're paying a fee of £150k I'd want a 3 year deal. 2 years means if he has a good first season we're looking at selling or losing for nowt after 12 months. No good.

Pretty Boy
30-06-2013, 02:06 PM
If we're paying a fee of £150k I'd want a 3 year deal. 2 years means if he has a good first season we're looking at selling or losing for nowt after 12 months. No good.

There has to be a balance though. Look at the Jimmy Scott situation.

I like Taylor and would quite like to see him at Hibs but a 3 year deal for someone unproven at this level would be a big risk.

West hamBERNIAN
30-06-2013, 02:25 PM
There has to be a balance though. Look at the Jimmy Scott situation.

I like Taylor and would quite like to see him at Hibs but a 3 year deal for someone unproven at this level would be a big risk.

Paying 150k for someone is a bigger risk than a three year deal, don't see it myself. Too big a risk IMO. Only reason were putting money on the table for sparky is because we know its a bargain.

hibbydog
30-06-2013, 02:26 PM
I reckon Petrie will view anyone who needs a 6 figure transfer fee as a complete no no. I can't remember when anyone in the spl (other than Celtic) paid anything other than a nominal fee.

Realistically, killen would be fine for me

truehibernian
30-06-2013, 02:49 PM
I reckon Petrie will view anyone who needs a 6 figure transfer fee as a complete no no. I can't remember when anyone in the spl (other than Celtic) paid anything other than a nominal fee.

Realistically, killen would be fine for me

I think you're wrong - texted my mate who knows the Falkirk staff, apparently we have bid but they think it also included a player, Holt however not interested. If its the player im thinking it is he lives within spitting distance of Falkirk too (the Hibs player). They also thought we made same kind of bid in January which I think I posted back then.

They think Lyle wants back home as well.

hibseleven
30-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Hopefully we will start the season with two new strikers on board. Cant see us turning over the ****bos as easily as some people think with our current squad.

pontius pilate
30-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Therein lies the problem not wanting to open the purse strings. I know we don't want to end up like the **** is but we should also be looking at targets we could get and if they command a fee within reason so be it. Either that or it will be bargain basement and people calling for fenlon and Petrie's head moaning etc halfway through the season

sleeping giant
30-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Folk need to realise that we won't be decent players first choice.

pontius pilate
30-06-2013, 06:35 PM
True but we should be a decent attraction for some players we are after ( hopefully)

sleeping giant
30-06-2013, 06:47 PM
True but we should be a decent attraction for some players we are after ( hopefully)
We probably are but most of those players will hang fire to see if a better deal comes up.
If not , they will sign at the end of the window.
I want them in quickly too but we can't overpay just to satisfy our impatience.

pontius pilate
30-06-2013, 06:50 PM
I know it's impatience on my part I certainly don't want it to come over as me having a go at the club. I'm looking forward to the new season immensely with the yams goosed and us looking like we are building for the future with the new youth signings and Europe on the horizon we could have a good league campaign as well

GreenCastle
30-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Currently Ross Caldwell has played 18 first team games and scored 2 goals

Danny Handling has played 16 first team games and scored 1 goal

Edit - to be fair...of these 18 / 16 games...most were from bench.

2 strikers is a MUST.....

What happens if Danny or Ross get injured ?

We have lost 3 - LG / Doyle and Kuqi and looking at our squad on the website I believe we are much weaker than last year -

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/PlayerProfileIndex/0,,10290,00.html (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/PlayerProfileIndex/0,,10290,00.html)

Purehibee_MYB
30-06-2013, 07:47 PM
I think people are panicking a bit too soon.. Pat has said there are things in the pipeline and we have to believe him. I'm confident we will sign at least 1 decent striker before our euro games.

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-06-2013, 07:48 PM
If we need to wait until the start of the league season to get the players we are looking for then that is fine, but does that mean that the ones we are looking at, are still under contracts somewhere else? I understand it makes no sense to pay fees where you don't have to if you wait a few weeks, but surely any player under serious consideration for a start in the euro game should be on the plane to the training camp the 'morn.

Ross4356
01-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Next season the difference between 3rd and 10th place in prize money is £472k. On that basis alone it is worth signing LG as he can be the difference not to mention any future fee. However we know there is no way Petrie will do this and at the end of the day when it comes to finances he knows what is best for the club

Speedway
01-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Pat just wants to out a modern twist on quotes from great Hibernian managers of yesteryear and be able to say in interviews:

'Ah've no goat goals in ma team'

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Ryan Noble & Lyle Taylor up front if the second bid is accepted?

Aldo
01-07-2013, 05:12 PM

Have we signed Noble BMD!! Have friends who
Are bairns fans and they rate Taylor.

Heisenberg
01-07-2013, 05:14 PM

Is there definitely going to be a second bid? Would hope we dont give up easily.

bingo70
01-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Have we signed Noble BMD!! Have friends who
Are bairns fans and they rate Taylor.

No, still just a rumour.

Hibs7
01-07-2013, 05:18 PM

That would do me :-)

Aldo
01-07-2013, 06:05 PM
No, still just a rumour.

Cheers Bingo

JohnStephens91
01-07-2013, 06:36 PM
I think that if Ross Caldwell gets games he will definitely score a good number of goals.

Centre Hawf
01-07-2013, 06:39 PM
I'd like a combination of Taylor and Miller. Think they two would score goals in the SPL. Also if either of they two aren't available then i'd like to see Adam Rooney come up.

JohnStephens91
01-07-2013, 06:40 PM
I'd like a combination of Taylor and Miller. Think they two would score goals in the SPL. Also if either of they two aren't available then i'd like to see Adam Rooney come up.

Akinfenwa and Taylor would be good too

Centre Hawf
01-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Akinfenwa and Taylor would be good too

Akinfenwa's shirt sales would be huge... much like the shirts themselves.

SMAXXA
01-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Akinfenwa's shirt sales would be huge... much like the shirts themselves.

He's a total beast, he's massive, would like to see Danny Wilson shoulder charge him :greengrin

GlenrothesHibee
01-07-2013, 07:07 PM
We should make a move for Hearts star striker. John Sut....oh wait

fatbloke
01-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Contrary to what some on Hibs net say/post/think it will not be GOC, he has been offered a deal on a hot island:wink:.

SMAXXA
01-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Contrary to what some on Hibs net say/post/think it will not be GOC, he has been offered a deal on a hot island:wink:.

Alkatraz?

Chump
01-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Does anyone have any confidence in Fenlon picking up a real gem up front before the start of the season? We plucked Libbra from nowhere for nothing, Killen from Oldham for nothing and I feel these are the types of experienced players we need if we are to make progress again under Fenlon. Through no fault of his own he is losing Griffiths but he needs to really dig deep or else I feel a real barren run of games without goals :((

What do we know about our scouting system as we need to look further afield than the irish league for starters!!

number9dream
01-07-2013, 07:27 PM
That would do me :-)

Both would present a risk IMHO. Noble has hardly set the heather on fire anywhere he's been on loan, including Hartlepool. I've seen Taylor a few times and he's on a par with someone like Gregory Tade - maybe a little better in the air but still very raw.
Go for one but not both and bring in a more experienced head...

SMAXXA
01-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Does anyone have any confidence in Fenlon picking up a real gem up front before the start of the season? We plucked Libbra from nowhere for nothing, Killen from Oldham for nothing and I feel these are the types of experienced players we need if we are to make progress again under Fenlon. Through no fault of his own he is losing Griffiths but he needs to really dig deep or else I feel a real barren run of games without goals :((

What do we know about our scouting system as we need to look further afield than the irish league for starters!!

We didn't have one or it was rank rotten, Fenlon has put things in place to improve our scouting network across Europe and afar, still waiting to see evidence of any player coming from this though, maybe this will be the season. I always love when we sign foreigners who we know little about, gets me intrigued to be honest. On a separate kinda strange point, we don't seem to have signed many black players either.

Chump
01-07-2013, 07:38 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/PlayerProfileIndex/0,,10290,00.html[/QUOTE]

wow....that's a worrying looking squad.....'kids don't win anything' :greengrin

LioNeilMessi
01-07-2013, 07:38 PM
I think that if Ross Caldwell gets games he will definitely score a good number of goals.

:agree: It won't do anyone any good if he isn't given starts from the beginning of the season. Him and Griffiths up front next season had great potential :boo hoo:

bingo70
01-07-2013, 07:39 PM
We didn't have one or it was rank rotten, Fenlon has put things in place to improve our scouting network across Europe and afar, still waiting to see evidence of any player coming from this though, maybe this will be the season. I always love when we sign foreigners who we know little about, gets me intrigued to be honest. On a separate kinda strange point, we don't seem to have signed many black players either.

Kujabi!!!!

History tells us we'll probably be ***** next season regardless of who we sign so at least if we sign exciting sounding foreigners we get to enjoy the summer ;-)

Jonnyboy
01-07-2013, 07:46 PM

I thought deportation to Oz finished years ago?

Chump
01-07-2013, 07:47 PM

I hope so.....Hibs fans have been made to accept the notion of youth working at ER for some time based on Petrie trying to manage the finances but Libbra, Luna, Zitelli and the like excited the fans and gave a different dynamic to the Hibs squad.

A real gem is out there so earn your crust guys and go and find one for the Hibs fans!!

greenlex
01-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Kevin Kyle.:cb

Tyler Durden
01-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Both would present a risk IMHO. Noble has hardly set the heather on fire anywhere he's been on loan, including Hartlepool. I've seen Taylor a few times and he's on a par with someone like Gregory Tade - maybe a little better in the air but still very raw.
Go for one but not both and bring in a more experienced head...

Taylor scored more goals last season than Tade has in his last 4 seasons combined.

fatbloke
01-07-2013, 08:57 PM
I thought deportation to Oz finished years ago?

no quite that far pal. BTW bad news i am going to be a regular traveller next season. Now work constant nights 4 on 4 off so can make all matches Woooo.

spike220
01-07-2013, 09:16 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/PlayerProfileIndex/0,,10290,00.html

wow....that's a worrying looking squad.....'kids don't win anything' :greengrin[/QUOTE] We just need a couple of strikers!

JohnStephens91
01-07-2013, 09:19 PM
wow....that's a worrying looking squad.....'kids don't win anything' :greengrin We just need a couple of strikers![/QUOTE]

We could play a 4-6-0 :dunno:

DH1875
01-07-2013, 10:16 PM
no quite that far pal. BTW bad news i am going to be a regular traveller next season. Now work constant nights 4 on 4 off so can make all matches Woooo.

La liga adelante?

yekimevol
03-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Hibs not going back in for Taylor after the first bit was rejected

"Manager Pat Fenlon says Hibernian are not preparing an improved bid for Lyle Taylor after Falkirk rejected an approach for the striker."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23160538

Teapot
03-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Hibs not going back in for Taylor after the first bit was rejected

"Manager Pat Fenlon says Hibernian are not preparing an improved bid for Lyle Taylor after Falkirk rejected an approach for the striker."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23160538

I reckon this to be a Petrie ploy. I doubt Falkirk are in a position to reject 150k and are trying to get as much money out of us as possible.

Give it a few weeks and i think we'll see us go back in for Taylor with Falkirk demanding less money.

YehButNoBut
03-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Don't know how accurate this is but probably close to the truth

Inside The SPFL ‏@AgentScotland Falkirk rate Lyle Taylor around £175k but will negotiate, hearing Hibs offered £80k but wouldnt go above £100k which is to low for Falkirk

Heisenberg
03-07-2013, 02:53 PM
I reckon this to be a Petrie ploy. I doubt Falkirk are in a position to reject 150k and are trying to get as much money out of us as possible.

Give it a few weeks and i think we'll see us go back in for Taylor with Falkirk demanding less money.

Could also backfire and see someone else swoop in and take him down south.

Stevie Reid
03-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Don't know how accurate this is but probably close to the truth

Inside The SPFL ‏@AgentScotland Falkirk rate Lyle Taylor around £175k but will negotiate, hearing Hibs offered £80k but wouldnt go above £100k which is to low for Falkirk

Sounds plausible. Also sounds like we're as well being patient, if true - think more than £100K is a big risk for us, and unrealistic for Falkirk.

Andy74
03-07-2013, 02:58 PM

That wouldn't be backfiring. You only pay what you think someone is worth. If someone else pays more than that's fine.

Teapot
03-07-2013, 03:15 PM

If they are willing to pay more than we are then so be it.

Swindonfan
03-07-2013, 03:59 PM
I see alot of Hibs fans would like Adam Rooney to come to easter road. Situation here at Swindon so were told is he was on loan last season and a contract starting now was talked about. If signed we dont know. But talk is its worth 8k a week over its duration. He wont get paid 8k a week. Its when you add wages and signing on fee and agents fee and things. Its suggested he turned up for first day of training last week and was turned away. Swindon's new board do not have the money the old one did when contract either agreed or suggested.

We think new board are saying we cant afford your contract, would you negotiate. Not sure we really want him anyway. Scored 10 goals last season and didnt get a kick for 3 months of the season. Hes not quick, but attack crosses pretty well. And if he came to Hibs he would for sure get 15 if played week in week out if not more.

So if pat is interested, get Rod to get in touch with his agent as id say hes available.

Kato
03-07-2013, 04:03 PM

Chump

hfc rd
03-07-2013, 04:53 PM
I see alot of Hibs fans would like Adam Rooney to come to easter road. Situation here at Swindon so were told is he was on loan last season and a contract starting now was talked about. If signed we dont know. But talk is its worth 8k a week over its duration. He wont get paid 8k a week. Its when you add wages and signing on fee and agents fee and things. Its suggested he turned up for first day of training last week and was turned away. Swindon's new board do not have the money the old one did when contract either agreed or suggested.

We think new board are saying we cant afford your contract, would you negotiate. Not sure we really want him anyway. Scored 10 goals last season and didnt get a kick for 3 months of the season. Hes not quick, but attack crosses pretty well. And if he came to Hibs he would for sure get 15 if played week in week out if not more.

So if pat is interested, get Rod to get in touch with his agent as id say hes available.

I would happily take Adam Rooney. But if youse can't afford him then I don't think we will be able to match his wage demands either.

brydekirk
04-07-2013, 11:05 AM
I read Swindon want to reduce his wages by half, even at 3.5 to 4k a week might be to much for us. IMO.

LeighLoyal
04-07-2013, 11:10 AM
I read Swindon want to reduce his wages by half, even at 3.5 to 4k a week might be to much for us. IMO.

Didn't Sutton sign up with M'Well for less than his offered 50% cut at Yams? £3k a week plus a signing on fee would surely be ball park.

Craig_in_Prague
04-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Is Paul Heffernan still under contract at Killie?
I'd be really pleased if we could sign him.

brydekirk
04-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Didn't Sutton sign up with M'Well for less than his offered 50% cut at Yams? £3k a week plus a signing on fee would surely be ball park.

If Rooney feels he's not wanted at Swindon he may be swayed with that kind of offer, plus knowing he'll get his game every week.

Comiston Hibee
06-07-2013, 09:22 AM
1. Continue to sign midfielders
2. Sack Pat Fenlon
3. Appoint Craig Levein
4. Deploy the unbreakable 4-6-0 formation
5. Not necessary but a further option - over invest via Eastern European dodgy money and run the club into near extinction.

Alternatively keep calm and follow the Hibees
:hibees:pfgwa:agree:

Hibbyradge
06-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Deploy naked ladies to distract the boo boys.

muzzhfc
06-07-2013, 09:39 AM

Bring out the booooooooo-bies. Just encourages the boos

Wilson
06-07-2013, 09:42 AM

Knowing Hibs they'll be loose at the back, heavy round the middle, and nothing up front.

Emerald
06-07-2013, 12:28 PM
So, another day on and still no strikers. Is this a ploy by Fenlon so he can play his preferred 1 4 6 Potter formation and bore the **** out of us for another season. :boo hoo::greengrin Hoof!

Holmesdale Hibs
06-07-2013, 04:32 PM
1. Continue to sign midfielders
2. Sack Pat Fenlon
3. Appoint Craig Levein
4. Deploy the unbreakable 4-6-0 formation
5. Not necessary but a further option - over invest via Eastern European dodgy money and run the club into near extinction.

Alternatively keep calm and follow the Hibees
:hibees:pfgwa:agree:

If we're going to play 4-6 I reckon we should set our sights a bit higher and try and be like Spain. Much closer to Hibs class.

--------
06-07-2013, 04:45 PM
I dunno why folks are worrying. It'll all come right on the night. :angelic:

sesoim
07-07-2013, 09:46 PM
McPake started his pro career as a striker, so maybe we could put him up front.

Looking at his defending as last season went on, maybe that's not such a bad idea.

Pete
08-07-2013, 04:27 AM
Is Paul Heffernan still under contract at Killie?
I'd be really pleased if we could sign him.

He was one of the first I thought of when I realised that we would need other options. He is a quality finisher and would fit the bill. Negatives are that he is getting on a bit and can be a bit of a hot-head.

31 isn't really that old though, and I could see him flourishing alongside a decent partner and some attacking midfielders.

Spike Mandela
08-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Maybe Caldwell and Handling are the answer along with Harris.

I remember having doubts about Mowbray going with young strikers but being pleasantly surprised even though we lost first league game to Killie. Check out the team......................

http://www.nelsonfc.co.uk/matchcentres/hibernian_vs_kilmarnock/07_aug_2004/308802/index.shtml

SMAXXA
08-07-2013, 12:07 PM

I remember having doubts about Mowbray going with young strikers but being pleasantly surprised even though we lost first league game to Killie. Check out the team......................

http://www.nelsonfc.co.uk/matchcentres/hibernian_vs_kilmarnock/07_aug_2004/308802/index.shtml

Brebner in goals? :greengrin

Stevie Reid
08-07-2013, 12:08 PM

BBC report has this team: -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/3538056.stm

Hibernian: Simon Brown, Whittaker, Caldwell, Murdock, Murphy, Scott Brown, Brebner (Shiels 78), Beuzelin, Glass, O'Connor (Riordan 68), McManus (Morrow 68). Subs Not Used: Alistair Brown, Dobbie, Smith, Nicol.

Lucius Apuleius
08-07-2013, 12:17 PM

Positivity Spike :greengrin I actually agree, whilst it is not perfect I would have no qualms starting the season with the young ones.

Spike Mandela
08-07-2013, 12:18 PM
BBC report has this team: -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/3538056.stm

Hibernian: Simon Brown, Whittaker, Caldwell, Murdock, Murphy, Scott Brown, Brebner (Shiels 78), Beuzelin, Glass, O'Connor (Riordan 68), McManus (Morrow 68). Subs Not Used: Alistair Brown, Dobbie, Smith, Nicol.

Yip, edited it, still you get the point. Maybe we have the answer in our midst.

Stevie Reid
08-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Yip, edited it, still you get the point. Maybe we have the answer in our midst.

Of course, I just didn't quite remember the team being like that!

We do need two strikers, of that there is no doubt, but I'm happy to be patient as it's obvious that Hibs are making serious attempts, including being prepared to spend money on a transfer fee, to get some real quality in.

However, Caldwell and Handling will have a big part to play in the coming season for sure.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
08-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Higdon has just signed for NEC Nijmegen.