PDA

View Full Version : Question on Donaldson, Horribine and Stanton

Eyrie
01-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Don't follow the youths, so I'm hoping someone can tell me more about them. Is Donaldson a pure centre half, or can he cover at full back? What can we expect from Stanton and Horribine? Are they wide men, playmakers or ball winners? Can they score goals or provide assists?

theonlywayisup
01-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Don't follow the youths, so I'm hoping someone can tell me more about them. Is Donaldson a pure centre half, or can he cover at full back? What can we expect from Stanton and Horribine? Are they wide men, playmakers or ball winners? Can they score goals or provide assists?

Good question! Don't have the answer, but would be good to know. Only seen Stanton a couple of times and he looked good.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-06-2013, 01:16 PM

Dobaldson is a Right back who can play CB and Stanton is a CM who can play LM. As for Horrobine, im not sure.

Vault Boy
01-06-2013, 01:25 PM

Stanton is supposedly very good technically, decent feet and a good ball player who will create chances and score them too. Horribine will put himself about and is more than capable of scoring himself (scored a lovely goal vs Celtic). Your question about Donaldson has already been answered, he has done well to return from a bad injury early and performed well in the games he played after that. Jay Doyle seems like a natural goal poacher but it's probably a bit early for him yet. (Danny and Ross will more than suffice for now).

oconnors_strip
01-06-2013, 02:04 PM

donaldson has been answered above, he can play centre back or right back. not afraid of getting in the oppositions box at corners and scoring a header.

stanton is a centre midfielder, very technically gifted on the ball, has pace and always looking for that pass to the strikers. definitely one to watch out for next season, was just unlucky with his knee injury at cowdenbeath back in february.

horribine is another midfielder but he can play any position, on the left or the right, supporting the striker by playing just behind them. has a sweet right foot and not scared to have a shot at goal from range. also not scared to put a hard tackle in, yes he is short but so are some of the top footballers through out the world

Wotherspiniesta
01-06-2013, 02:11 PM
How do Stanton and Horribine compare to Harris? Is Harris a cut above and did he look special in the youth team?

oconnors_strip
01-06-2013, 02:53 PM
How do Stanton and Horribine compare to Harris? Is Harris a cut above and did he look special in the youth team?

i dont like comparing young players with each other, not fair. stanton has been a stand out the past 2 years until he got his injury. harris has looked special from the first game i seen him in.

Eyrie
01-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Much obliged.

My hope is that they provide depth in the same way that Caldwell and Handling did in the season just finished. If they can show the same level of play that Harris and Forster did then we'll be in a very strong position.

jdships
01-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Much obliged.

My hope is that they provide depth in the same way that Caldwell and Handling did in the season just finished. If they can show the same level of play that Harris and Forster did then we'll be in a very strong position.

:top marks
The big problem is they are now at a critical age .
Hundreds of lads over the years , including myself , have been seen as " talented 17/18/19year olds but , for whatever reason(s) , have not been able/capable of taking that " LAST BIG STEP " to maturity and potential stardom .
I had a young relative back in the 70's who signed for Hibs as a kid , scored goals for fun, and was out the game ( even junior ) by 22
Didn't develop physically , couldn't apply himself t full time training - end of story

Alex Miller used to tell me if he got 5/7 out of every 50 signed as young teenagers who made it to " first team football " by 19/20 , he was happy

Viva_Palmeiras
01-06-2013, 06:18 PM
:top marks
The big problem is they are now at a critical age .
Hundreds of lads over the years , including myself , have been seen as " talented 17/18/19year olds but , for whatever reason(s) , have not been able/capable of taking that " LAST BIG STEP " to maturity and potential stardom .
I had a young relative back in the 70's who signed for Hibs as a kid , scored goals for fun, and was out the game ( even junior ) by 22
Didn't develop physically , could apply himself t full time training - end of story

Alex Miller used to tell me if he got 5/7 out of every 50 signed as young teenagers who made it to " first team football " by 19/20 , he was happy

JD - Lexo was supposed to be renowned for his coaching. Quite a few of his Hibs players went on to manage (dunno if that was just coincidence). Club86 was heralded and Lexo sung its praises.

What is your take on his legacy in this regard? We hear about Mowbray insisting on the training centre and that I guess is some kinda legacy albeit after he left. But can we track a decent? academy back to him?

Also a genral Q - How quickly can success be built at an academy and how easily can it be replicated? Celtc pinched Park is it that simple or enticing young players financially and hoovering up the talent to deny others ? What disrupts the conveyer belt?

Brooster
01-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Stanton is good but not in the same league as Harris. Same with Donaldson who isn't as good as Forster. Horrible has to keep improving to make the step up. My opinion of course.

Golden Bear
01-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Just play the guys in their right positions and no more effin about Mr Fenlon!

:flag:

jdships
01-06-2013, 07:12 PM
JD - Lexo was supposed to be renowned for his coaching. Quite a few of his Hibs players went on to manage (dunno if that was just coincidence). Club86 was heralded and Lexo sung its praises.

What is your take on his legacy in this regard? We hear about Mowbray insisting on the training centre and that I guess is some kinda legacy albeit after he left. But can we track a decent? academy back to him?

Also a genral Q - How quickly can success be built at an academy and how easily can it be replicated? Celtc pinched Park is it that simple or enticing young players financially and hoovering up the talent to deny others ? What disrupts the conveyer belt?

Interesting post !!!
I got to know Alex Miller very well purely by accident through helping him when his car broke down on a country road !! Quickly discovered he was an absolute gentleman and as far as football was concerned coaching was his first love .
In the boot of his car he had , under lock and key , four wooden boxes ( size of shoe boxes ) of record cards of lads of 9/15 years old from all over Scotland and North of England .
Many of these lads he personally called on their parents to discuss their boys futures
He estimated he had close on 450 telephone numbers for unpaid scouts in Scotland !!

As you say a number of his players went into management this was possibly due to the great importance he placed on instilling confidence into the young lads .
He believed that being able to communicate and carry on a conversation with your elders was important alongside learning football skills .
This he felt gave a boy the feeling of beiing an equal alongside older men
For me he was his own biggest critic and this often caused him problems in management
The concept of CLUB 86 was great but Alex always felt he was held back by the lack of decent/regular training facilities

Difficult for me to say about a legacy left by AM as I am not privy to what has gone on over the last few years plus if there was such a legacy it would have been severely diluted by the fact that since AM was sacked in August 1996 we have had 10 managers in 17 years !!

Mowbray I never met so can't comment

As far as EM is concerned it cannot be anything else than a great idea. My two "distant rellies" have done pretty well out of it !!
Talent goes in cycles regardless what sport and no matter who you appoint as head coach if these youngsters are not being coached /nurtured at an early age then they won't become available
Instance . If you went to any spare bit of ground say 15/20 years ago there would always be a good number of kids kicking a ball about
You went for a "take on" and put the jumpers down for the goals
Tonight I walked past my local park ( 19.15) and there was one dad kicking a ball about with his lad .
My youngest grandson age 11 on occasions phones me and says " Papa fancy a kick about ? " - I am 81 tomorrow !!

Think you have raised a number of very pertinent points in your post but the answer surely is the proverbial $64000 :greengrin

oconnors_strip
01-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Stanton is good but not in the same league as Harris. Same with Donaldson who isn't as good as Forster. Horrible has to keep improving to make the step up. My opinion of course.

No need to call a player names :greengrin:

truehibernian
01-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Interesting post !!!
I got to know Alex Miller very well purely by accident through helping him when his car broke down on a country road !! Quickly discovered he was an absolute gentleman and as far as football was concerned coaching was his first love .
In the boot of his car he had , under lock and key , four wooden boxes ( size of shoe boxes ) of record cards of lads of 9/15 years old from all over Scotland and North of England .
Many of these lads he personally called on their parents to discuss their boys futures
He estimated he had close on 450 telephone numbers for unpaid scouts in Scotland !!

As you say a number of his players went into management this was possibly due to the great importance he placed on instilling confidence into the young lads .
He believed that being able to communicate and carry on a conversation with your elders was important alongside learning football skills .
This he felt gave a boy the feeling of beiing an equal alongside older men
For me he was his own biggest critic and this often caused him problems in management
The concept of CLUB 86 was great but Alex always felt he was held back by the lack of decent/regular training facilities

Difficult for me to say about a legacy left by AM as I am not privy to what has gone on over the last few years plus if there was such a legacy it would have been severely diluted by the fact that since AM was sacked in August 1996 we have had 10 managers in 17 years !!

Mowbray I never met so can't comment

As far as EM is concerned it cannot be anything else than a great idea. My two "distant rellies" have done pretty well out of it !!
Talent goes in cycles regardless what sport and no matter who you appoint as head coach if these youngsters are not being coached /nurtured at an early age then they won't become available
Instance . If you went to any spare bit of ground say 15/20 years ago there would always be a good number of kids kicking a ball about
You went for a "take on" and put the jumpers down for the goals
Tonight I walked past my local park ( 19.15) and there was one dad kicking a ball about with his lad .
My youngest grandson age 11 on occasions phones me and says " Papa fancy a kick about ? " - I am 81 tomorrow !!

Think you have raised a number of very pertinent points in your post but the answer surely is the proverbial $64000 :greengrin

Fantastic post - those that like and appreciate(d) Alex are in small numbers it would seem :greengrin

Alex Miller was, looking back, a visionary manager. He was an educated man off the field too. His boys are chips off the old block and if you shut your eyes you'd swear you were listening to Alex talk. Greg is doing very well for himself within the SFA academy structure.

I touted him for a DoF role at Hibs as it is exactly the kind of role that Hibs need for a few years - his wealth of knowledge would be invaluable.

If you look at Liverpool's successful years under Benitez, Miller was essentially his right hand man (although officially he was 'world scout'). Just don't ask him about his time in Japan - very much like Romanov across the road. Apparently players would turn up for training that Alex and Greg knew nothing about and who were signed days before by the owner. They doubted that some were actually footballers too :greengrin

jdships
01-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Fantastic post - those that like and appreciate(d) Alex are in small numbers it would seem :greengrin

Alex Miller was, looking back, a visionary manager. He was an educated man off the field too. His boys are chips off the old block and if you shut your eyes you'd swear you were listening to Alex talk. Greg is doing very well for himself within the SFA academy structure.

I touted him for a DoF role at Hibs as it is exactly the kind of role that Hibs need for a few years - his wealth of knowledge would be invaluable.

If you look at Liverpool's successful years under Benitez, Miller was essentially his right hand man (although officially he was 'world scout'). Just don't ask him about his time in Japan - very much like Romanov across the road. Apparently players would turn up for training that Alex and Greg knew nothing about and who were signed days before by the owner. They doubted that some were actually footballers too :greengrin

Thank you
As to liking AM the problem was very few people got to know the "real AM " . As I said I was lucky in meeting him and striking up a friendship which allowed me to appreciate what he was really about
Yes he was an interesting person to know . Well mannered in public and happy to discuss ( not argue about !!) football
As far as COACHING is concerned I put him in the top category alongside the best
Speak with anyone who was in the Annfield backroom staff during the Benitez time and they will tell you he WAS his "Main Man"
You could perhaps say he was " over qualified " for SPL :greengrin:wink: