PDA

View Full Version : Tam Cowan

Brebners Bookie
01-06-2013, 08:37 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tam-cowan-hibs-hampden-howler-1925373

:fenlon

Saorsa
01-06-2013, 08:39 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tam-cowan-hibs-hampden-howler-1925373

:fenlonand you were expecting tae find in the daily bogroll?

Zondervan
01-06-2013, 08:47 AM
I agree with just about every word he says. Once again, the tactics deployed on the pitch after we went 2-0 down were abysmal.

At least he praises the Hibs fans!

Treadstone
01-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Brokeback will now have a thread saying how they hate/never agree with Tam Cowan but has it 100% correct here.

Zzzzzzzz

adhibs
01-06-2013, 08:49 AM
4000 motherwell/sevco fans wouldnt have acted with that defiance at the end. No wonder he doesnt understand

NadeAteMyLunch!
01-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Wow, that's an original piece. Not at all like he's just re-written that other douche bags rant from earlier in the week and stuck his stupid fat face next to it

rainman
01-06-2013, 08:54 AM
I agree with just about every word he says. Once again, the tactics deployed on the pitch after we went 2-0 down were abysmal.

At least he praises the Hibs fans!

He used the Vince Lombardi quote to effectively call our players and manager losers which is a bit much but other than that, he is 100% spot on.

There was a "as long as we're not pumped again" air to the whole day. I think after the disaster last year, it's almost acceptable and probably not understood by outsiders who didn't feel the pain of last year. However, if, by some strange miracle we make it 3 finals in a row, I can't see the sloppy defending and feeble fight back being accepted as readily again.

#FromTheCapital
01-06-2013, 08:54 AM
It's hard to disagree with much of what he says to be fair. Have to admit I had a wee chuckle at his line about having £50 on us to finally parade the cup in an open top intergalactic spaceship.

poolman
01-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Cowan's a fat welt

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-06-2013, 09:05 AM
I can't stand him, unfunny and west coast bias really does my head in.

This is just another case of jumping on the lack of respect bandwagon we have to endure in the press, I'm not paranoid about it, just sick of it.

And him.....

snooky
01-06-2013, 09:12 AM
He used the Vince Lombardi quote to effectively call our players and manager losers which is a bit much but other than that, he is 100% spot on.

There was a "as long as we're not pumped again" air to the whole day. I think after the disaster last year, it's almost acceptable and probably not understood by outsiders who didn't feel the pain of last year. However, if, by some strange miracle we make it 3 finals in a row, I can't see the sloppy defending and feeble fight back being accepted as readily again.

Bingo! :agree:

Hank Schrader
01-06-2013, 09:15 AM
Cowan's a fat welt

:agree:

And about as funny as typhoid.

The Leith Dutch
01-06-2013, 09:26 AM
As others have pointed out it's a rewrite of some no name's article in the daily ****** from earlier in the week.

Whether you agree or disagree I'd say this isn't journalism (and doesn't really work as comment piece).

Now I know Tam Cowan is the epitomy of the "I'm fae glasgae and therefore a born comedian" syndrome but even if you agree with the thrust of what he's saying it's provocational and insulting to the team I support and I don't believe it belongs in a newspaper - even a piss poor excuse for one.

It's designed to stir up comment and mud slinging and that isn't what I think his paper should be doing.

Were it not for the fact it's in a hun apoligist rag I'd be suggesting that they're not happy with the "best fans in the world" being handed their erses during much of the cup final.

That we performed well as a support needs to be taken separately from the performance on the day and shouldn't be confused with thinking the performance was acceptable or being happy that we only got beaten 3-0

It's worth putting everything into context however and remembering that 18 months ago Colin Calderwood was in charge of this club and we were as awful as I can ever remember us being - clueless and disorganised and utterly woeful. Six months later and with a generally still poor squad we had the abysmal cup final.

As poor as we were last Sunday it was much further on from those days and to have a fat bawbag like Cowan act out his frustrations from being bullied at school ignore this context for "journalistic" convenience to insult my football club and score cheap points is not something I'm happy about.

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Funny how he fails to mention the utter shambles at Tynecastle but of course he did a speech for free at a fundraiser for them didn't he? how cosy, still his gastric band must have held up with all the free cakes that were on offer that night...fud

Aaron
01-06-2013, 09:38 AM
To be honest he is talking the truth. We never won it and at times during play and after the match an outsider who had just come into the stadium would think we were the winners. I don't really get it. Is it because we are used to not winning it.....much like when we go away for Scotland games we have a party regardless of the result? For the record I did stay to the end, sing to the end and cheer our players but we do deserve better.....it's been 112 years FFS.

I also had a proper lol at "they’ll finally parade the cup in an open-top intergalactic spaceship". Oh....and the bit at the bottom about the restricted view at Darkhead.

sahib
01-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Funny how he fails to mention the utter shambles at Tynecastle but of course he did a speech for free at a fundraiser for them didn't he? how cosy, still his gastric band must have held up with all the free cakes that were on offer that night...fud

Petty name calling and dragging in other unrelated events, just highlights how difficult it is to deny the validity of the piece.
The delight he takes in it, is what gets my back up.

marinello59
01-06-2013, 09:46 AM
The tone in places jars a wee bit but the general thrust of his comments aren't that far off target for me. He does praise the Hibs fans and he does have a wee dig at the Celtc fans. I did feel we were in damage limitation mode for the majority of the game so a lot of what he says is justified. It's not nice having somebody outside of the Hibernian family point that out though.

marleyhib
01-06-2013, 09:46 AM
More lazy "journalism" / cut and paste.

A year ago we got hammered by our biggest rivals in the biggest game for years, it hurt us to the core. A year later we're back in the cup final. It was nothing to do with the performance on the park, it was about the support showing their love for the team and the Hibernian family through thick and thin, the last few years have been tough.

I was proud and it felt right

GGTTH

Hibby D
01-06-2013, 09:47 AM
As others have pointed out it's a rewrite of some no name's article in the daily ****** from earlier in the week.

Whether you agree or disagree I'd say this isn't journalism (and doesn't really work as comment piece).

Now I know Tam Cowan is the epitomy of the "I'm fae glasgae and therefore a born comedian" syndrome but even if you agree with the thrust of what he's saying it's provocational and insulting to the team I support and I don't believe it belongs in a newspaper - even a piss poor excuse for one.

It's designed to stir up comment and mud slinging and that isn't what I think his paper should be doing.

Were it not for the fact it's in a hun apoligist rag I'd be suggesting that they're not happy with the "best fans in the world" being handed their erses during much of the cup final.

That we performed well as a support needs to be taken separately from the performance on the day and shouldn't be confused with thinking the performance was acceptable or being happy that we only got beaten 3-0

It's worth putting everything into context however and remembering that 18 months ago Colin Calderwood was in charge of this club and we were as awful as I can ever remember us being - clueless and disorganised and utterly woeful. Six months later and with a generally still poor squad we had the abysmal cup final.

As poor as we were last Sunday it was much further on from those days and to have a fat bawbag like Cowan act out his frustrations from being bullied at school ignore this context for "journalistic" convenience to insult my football club and score cheap points is not something I'm happy about.

Well said and well written.

Cowan's piece is designed solely to stir up publicity and hits to that *****y rag and by giving free publicity on here we've done his job for him.

He's best ignored and so is the toilet paper of a publication he represents.

bigwheel
01-06-2013, 09:49 AM
This article is a one dimensional view at the final..."they lost, why can they possible be accepting of that".

I feel the reasons the support showed support and defiance towards the end and the reason the team weren't "in pieces (although some were)" is because of where we have been and our reaction to that. After a longish period where the team had been in decline, we got thumped by our rivals in last years final. It felt the team were on their knees. After another summer of clearouts and changes, we could have cowered away and struggled. Particularly after getting thumped again by Dundee United the signs were ominous. But to be fair to the team they stepped up, didn't hide and worked their way to a decent (not great, but far better than last year) season. It culminated in another Scottish cup final appearance and qualification for Europe. Ok, we lost two bad goals early, and no one is happy with the result. But again we didn't fold, we worked away and without our captain and an injured Griffiths put a decent shift in.

I don't sense anyone in the team of the final was pleased with the final. They were hurting like us, but in the broader scheme, they also recognise we have started winning some pride back, including five games undefeated against the team that turned us over last year. As a result the players and staff and the fans largely recognise we are moving forward - unlike many of our rival teams.

Cowan doesn't get this...he has no understanding of the expectation of a Hibs team by us the fans or the club itself. Frankly, if Motherwell get turned over no one really cares...apart from a small group of people. The press would barely notice...A Cowan equivalent in another paper wouldn't even feel it worth of an article.

Steve-O
01-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Can't see too much wrong. We were crap and showed no fight, a fact agreed with by many on here simply because "they are a better team". Weak.

sahib
01-06-2013, 09:50 AM

GGTTH

I don't get that comment either. :confused:

cad
01-06-2013, 09:51 AM
Shockarooooooooooooney Daily Record journalist gets the facts correct now that's a first .

Saorsa
01-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Well said and well written.

Cowan's piece is designed solely to stir up publicity and hits to that *****y rag and by giving free publicity on here we've done his job for him.

He's best ignored and so is the toilet paper of a publication he represents.:aok:

I still laugh that people read that rag and then complain about what's in it as if it was a shock and they didnae ken what sort of pish it would be. Even worse they then proceed tae give it mair oxygen by puting up links tae it. I dinnae click on links tae that site and I wouldnae use their bog roll tae wipe http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/attachment.php?attachmentid=8109&d=1318012218of my shoes.

Anyway who needs the daily bog roll tae put the boot in when you could just come on here.

Kaiser1962
01-06-2013, 10:01 AM
This article is a one dimensional view at the final..."they lost, why can they possible be accepting of that".

I was surpised he didnt use the Ron Dennis quote as well.

Not everyone can win. Thats reality. Cowan is a mediocre columnist/comedian at best and does he beat himself up every night because he's not as good as Bob Newhart, and if he acceots this is he, too, not a loser?

Steve20
01-06-2013, 10:10 AM
He's spot on. We were awful last week. Defence was pish and we created next to nothing.

Kato
01-06-2013, 10:11 AM

Is this what those Weegie guys call "banter". Where's the jokes?

The Falcon
01-06-2013, 10:20 AM
If we carry on his logic why would any team bother continuing? Celtic will win the league next season. Should we then not bother.

Hexham Hibee
01-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Prompted by this thread I had a look at the Daily ****** online for the first time in ages. I know its a rag but what really got me raging is the summaries of each SPL club they have behind the club emblems. All are fairly positive especially Motherwell as you would expect but its the Hibs one that got me. "Haven't won the LEague since 1952 or the cup since 1902..."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why all the negativity? Pat Fenlon is right when he says the press have a downer on us. Its not that I'm paranoid but no mention of first in Europe etc.

GGTTH

The Falcon
01-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Prompted by this thread I had a look at the Daily ****** online for the first time in ages. I know its a rag but what really got me raging is the summaries of each SPL club they have behind the club emblems. All are fairly positive especially Motherwell as you would expect but its the Hibs one that got me. "Haven't won the LEague since 1952 or the cup since 1902..."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why all the negativity? Pat Fenlon is right when he says the press have a downer on us. Its not that I'm paranoid but no mention of first in Europe etc.

GGTTH

I have long held the theory its because Rod gives them nothing. Other clubs feed their favoured journo's snippets and give them the inside track and in return they become their mouthpieces. You only have to look at #allisbarry or the succulent lamb brigade to see that when you have something to hide, the press can play an accomodating and complicit part in your getaway.

SaulGoodman
01-06-2013, 11:10 AM
'The upbeat nature of the players'

Em, what upbeat nature? They looked gutted.. Are they not allowed to applaud the support anymore, probably would've been a different story had it been Motherwell

Fud.

Carheenlea
01-06-2013, 11:36 AM

A year ago we got hammered by our biggest rivals in the biggest game for years, it hurt us to the core. A year later we're back in the cup final. It was nothing to do with the performance on the park, it was about the support showing their love for the team and the Hibernian family through thick and thin, the last few years have been tough.

I was proud and it felt right

GGTTH

:top marks

That was it in a nutshell. It was spontaneous, and as you say, it was a message from the fans proclaiming how much this club means to us. You can`t expect a non Hibs fan to really "get" what that last 15 minutes was all about, and it was far from reveling in defeat.

I like Tam Cowan, his patter is more that of a funny guy down the pub more so than top stand up comedian, but can be quite entertaining all the same. I`m pretty sure that even he himself would not be expecting anyone to take his Daily Record column seriously.

Ricky Bobby
01-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Went to see him at a Sportsmans dinner recently and left soon afterwards once the racist jokes started. Plainly material stolen from Bernard Manning circa 1975. Absolute welt of a man. that is all.

Kato
01-06-2013, 12:40 PM
If he was actually funny he wouldn't be working in the backwaters that are The Daily Record and BBC Scotland.

Hope Hibs rip his scabby team a new one next season.

Onion
01-06-2013, 12:54 PM
This is how the vast majority of outsiders would have seen it and you can understand why. 10 years from now when we're all looking back at 2012 and 2013 there will not be a hint of pride in either result or in the way we went about trying to win Cup.

Bishop Hibee
01-06-2013, 01:43 PM
We played 2 up front to start but were outclassed. The team never gave up, the fans could see that and responded while celebrating our great club. Murderwell got pumped 3-0 in a final recently but I bet Cowan kept his gub shut after that.

I like Off the Ball though it is getting pretty tired now. Poor show if he relies on racist jokes when appearing in clubs etc.

Moon unit
01-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Fat west coast Twally!
him and Cosgrove think they are they voice of reason..only serve to big up their own ego's
adopted a career out of eating around Gleasgie restaurants, feeding his gut... Under the premise of being a Foodie critic!....get him and the Perthshire welt off my Radio and Tv... Stick to the Daily ****** as I would never read that rag!!!

The Falcon
01-06-2013, 01:49 PM
This is how the vast majority of outsiders would have seen it and you can understand why. 10 years from now when we're all looking back at 2012 and 2013 there will not be a hint of pride in either result or in the way we went about trying to win Cup.

How must the other 82 teams that didnt make the final feel

Hibernia Na Eir
01-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Cowan's a fat welt

agreed.

Velma Dinkley
01-06-2013, 01:58 PM
He's a fat James Blunt. There were no celebrations from Hibs. Why would there be? It is simply a figment of the imaginations of some sub-par 'journalists'. We got to a final, we are one of the few clubs in the country on an upwards spiral and we are proud of our club. Does that offend you, Cowan, you big fat sack of ***** cheese?

Hibernia&Alba
01-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Motherwell fans won't generally have much time for Hibs. As a club it's very much of the Hearts/Sevco state of mind, and probably the only thing that spoiled his enjoyment of Hibs losing at Hampden is the fact it meant Celtic winning.

Beefster
01-06-2013, 02:12 PM
The tone in places jars a wee bit but the general thrust of his comments aren't that far off target for me. He does praise the Hibs fans and he does have a wee dig at the Celtc fans. I did feel we were in damage limitation mode for the majority of the game so a lot of what he says is justified. It's not nice having somebody outside of the Hibernian family point that out though.

Cowan's spot on. I found the 'we only shipped three - well done us' tone of Fenlon's and the players' post-match interviews to be crap too.

It is easier for most folk to just attack Cowan as a fat git than admit he has a point though.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-06-2013, 02:12 PM
The only point I would make is that he hasn't exactly said anything new, just the same old gags recycled.

Keith_M
01-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Are some of the comments warranted? Yes, considering some of the stuff I've heard from Fenlon and others about how much worse it could have been.

He's completely wrong about the support though, as he obviously doesn't see the difference between a celebration and a show of defiance.

Was any of it original or funny? No.

deeks01
01-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Genuinely thought the players & Pat looked like they were hurting. The interviews at FT were terrible but perhaps trying to put a brave face on maybe. At the end they were just giving appreciation to the fans who did their part. Again.

He was clearly shutting up shop at the end. I'm trying not to bring that up as I did feel highly pissed off at the time. Then Celtic made the first noise in a good while trying to do YNWA. As much as we were hurting were we having a bunch of jumped up condescending glory hunters for whom the trophy clearly meant f*** all showing us up at the last minute with their gloating having been crap throughout the game? No. We weren't. It made me proud to be a Hibs fan but it was hard going. Believe me I was hurting after that game , in fact I still am. Every Hibby I saw after we left Hampden was as well. Oh to be a Hibby eh?!

For what it's worth I don't mind a lot of Tam Cowan's stuff he has a banter with some cheap jokes at other teams expense pretty even handedly and it is amusing at times but he has no right to tell me , or anyone else for that matter , exactly how I felt. He's not a Hibs fan & he wasn't there. This article is a steaming pile of bull in regards to what the fans did at the end & for what reason but at least he gave us one wee line of praise.

connerg
01-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Tam Cowan should take a look at his own teams Scottish Cup Final record! Three finals since 1931, six finals in total and won it twice.

Hibernia Na Eir
01-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Motherwell fans won't generally have much time for Hibs. As a club it's very much of the Hearts/Sevco state of mind, and probably the only thing that spoiled his enjoyment of Hibs losing at Hampden is the fact it meant Celtic winning.

and throw in the fact they have a Flute Band asscoiated to them, they really are 2 clubs of a kind :agree:

Hibernia&Alba
01-06-2013, 03:25 PM

and throw in the fact they have a Flute Band asscoiated to them, they really are 2 clubs of a kind :agree:

We've all heard the songs at Fir Park and know the majority opinion there. I'm not suggesting for a moment their problem is anything like as bad as Rangers, but it's only natural they should express the west of Scotland bigotry, even partially. Their slant has traditionally been anti-Irish/unionist/Orange to various degrees.

truehibernian
01-06-2013, 03:35 PM

I don't think that's the case mate. I had a chat with a few 'Well fans after a Hearts v Mothers game three seasons ago because you could tell there was, let's just say, an animosity towards Hearts from their core support. The guys told me it stemmed back to the 80's, with a couple of the older heads saying it had to do with Hearts fans' attitude and that Willie Pettigrew, their hero, ended up playing for them. Collectively they had a lot of nice things to say about Hibs. There was also (sadly) a mutual casual respect thing going on - Mothers were one of the first clubs to enter into the casual scene back in the day.

Bostonhibby
01-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Unless you want to buy a used car or caravan from someone in the west of Scotland, look at recycled cartoons or horoscopes boycott the ******, you know it makes sense :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
01-06-2013, 03:53 PM
I don't think that's the case mate. I had a chat with a few 'Well fans after a Hearts v Mothers game three seasons ago because you could tell there was, let's just say, an animosity towards Hearts from their core support. The guys told me it stemmed back to the 80's, with a couple of the older heads saying it had to do with Hearts fans' attitude and that Willie Pettigrew, their hero, ended up playing for them. Collectively they had a lot of nice things to say about Hibs. There was also (sadly) a mutual casual respect thing going on - Mothers were one of the first clubs to enter into the casual scene back in the day.

I see what you're saying, and, as I have previously stated, I'm not traducing the entire Motherwell support to the level of Rangers, but I've experienced first hand the world view held by many at their club i.e. the west of Scotland prejudices that should belong to history. I've found many to be antipathetic of Hibs in a virulent way.

stoneyburn hibs
01-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Cowan's spot on. I found the 'we only shipped three - well done us' tone of Fenlon's and the players' post-match interviews to be crap too.

It is easier for most folk to just attack Cowan as a fat git than admit he has a point though.

Agree with this^. like him or loathe him, there is no west coast bias from imo, he gives the old firm more stick than any other team.

Kaiser1962
01-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Given the OP would it viewed as hypochritical of Cowan to talk up Motherwell's second place in the SPL?

The Falcon
01-06-2013, 04:58 PM
'The upbeat nature of the players'

Em, what upbeat nature? They looked gutted.. Are they not allowed to applaud the support anymore, probably would've been a different story had it been Motherwell

Fud.

They were gutted.

Fenlon could have come out after the game and slated the players and the team. He could have taken the youngsters and screamed that they were failures and reminded them that by the time Messi was 20 he'd played in a world cup.

Or he could encourage them and praise them for their efforts.

Neither approach will change the result but approach number 1 would have repercussions.

NAE NOOKIE
01-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Say what you like about Tam Cowan, he was part of the first programme on TV or Radio to ... A) make fitba funny ... and B) refuse to suck up tae the old firm.

Having said that, its a bit of an easy target to have a go at Hibs just now.

What Cowan and the other journos are trying on now is a wee change of tack with regard to Hibs long list of Scottish Cup failures. They figure that its time to chuck the 'poor Hibs' sympathy stuff out of the window and go for the harsh, get a grip ya Hibby barstewards angle.

Sorry lads ... you are 12 months behind everybody connected with Hibs. Yes we got stuff wrong in the cup final, but the fans stayed because we can see the change at ER and want to show that we recognise it and want to encourage the new attitude.

I dont think for a second, no matter how it looked, that Pat Fenlon, any of the players, or fans, felt good about what happened or that the players didnt give their all in the game. Our tactics to get back into the game arguably could have been better, but at the end of the day we lost to a stronger team who played well on the day.

Lets look at what we had at Hampden:

Hibs:

A decent keeper, who unfortunately had a bad day.
A right back who is at the erse end of his career and unfortunately aint as quick as he used to be.
A centre half barely out of the youth team who was playing in his 4th? first team game.
A left midfielder who had hardly kicked a ball all season and was playing for nothing.
A winger who had his first start in the team about 3 months ago.
A brilliant striker, who unfortunately was playing with an injury which was obviously restricting him.

Total cost in transfer fees for the whole team ...... 0 ..... average wage paid to our players about 2 to 3 thousand per week.

Celtic:

Forster ..... £2,500,000
Brown ...... £4,000,000
Commons ...£500,000
Hooper ......£2,400,000

Total cost in transfer fees £9,400,000

The others who didnt cost a fee would be playing for celtic on wages our players can only dream about.

Yes you can say that on the day, with the right attitude and a bit of luck a team like Hibs can beat a team like celtic, but the truth is that 9 times out of 10 a team like celtic will, and should, beat a team like Hibs.

That doesnt mean we wont keep trying ............ GGTTH !!!

truehibernian
01-06-2013, 07:08 PM
I think folk are getting a wee bit too touchy about Cowan's piece. I mean come on, did the Record not make him their restaurant critic for god's sake - that in itself tells you the calibre of journalist (and editor). Their criteria was surely looking around the office and seeing 'who looks like they enjoy their food too much'.

With his girth and having a face shaped like a medicine ball, Tam was the obvious choice :greengrin He's a scotch egg on legs.

Golden Bear
01-06-2013, 07:25 PM
He's spot on. We were awful last week. Defence was pish and we created next to nothing.

Yip. The truth hurts but nevertheless that is the truth.

Hiber-nation
01-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Nah, Tam doesnae get it. He was quite funny 15 years ago maybe.

Baldy Foghorn
01-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Don't think he says much wrong to be honest. A couple of guys said to me Today, it was better than last year.....Marginally IMO, scoreline was better, but it was dire to watch. After save in opening minutes, Forster did not have a thing to do....Fenlon's reluctance to go gung ho at two-nil was all too evident.....It was damage limitation stuff, and reading PF and a couple of player's saying we deserved credit for that is astonishing......

carnoustiehibee
01-06-2013, 09:23 PM
For and outsider he was right. For a hibs fan who was there he doesn't get it

monktonharp
01-06-2013, 09:50 PM
We played 2 up front to start but were outclassed. The team never gave up, the fans could see that and responded while celebrating our great club. Murderwell got pumped 3-0 in a final recently but I bet Cowan kept his gub shut after that.

I like Off the Ball though it is getting pretty tired now. Poor show if he relies on racist jokes when appearing in clubs etc.I used to like off the ball too, but have noticed that Cowan is very scathing, while trying to br funny about my club. for that reason I no longer listen to him but would like to best describe him as: a wee fat speccy unfunny c/nut that annoys me so much, I'd like to ram the nut oan.

GlenrothesHibee
01-06-2013, 10:08 PM
I enjoy off the ball. Stuart Cosgrove is an intelligent guy who knows his stuff. Has said a lot of complementary stuff about the Hibs and has mentioned the 07 SOL rendition quite a few times on the radio. He is also very honest and i enjoy listening to him. Respect his opinion. Cowan on the other hand is there for the 'comedy' value. Can be funny but at the end of the day his opinion isn't worth much. Cup final - we were beaten by a far better team. Lost a goal against the run of play 2 mins after we could/should have gone ahead. Game over. End of. Cowan is pandering to the Glasgow masses with his paper column so no need to get worked up over it.

Moon unit
01-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Can't see too much wrong. We were crap and showed no fight, a fact agreed with by many on here simply because "they are a better team". Weak.

Lets all cash in our chips and give up!!!... But before we do it stick the boot in anyone who genuinely got behind the team as this was clearly out of order. Don't believe continued negative comments about the team and fans will serve any real purpose.

whiskas
01-06-2013, 11:05 PM
I enjoy off the ball. Stuart Cosgrove is an intelligent guy who knows his stuff. Has said a lot of complementary stuff about the Hibs and has mentioned the 07 SOL rendition quite a few times on the radio. He is also very honest and i enjoy listening to him. Respect his opinion. Cowan on the other hand is there for the 'comedy' value. Can be funny but at the end of the day his opinion isn't worth much. Cup final - we were beaten by a far better team. Lost a goal against the run of play 2 mins after we could/should have gone ahead. Game over. End of. Cowan is pandering to the Glasgow masses with his paper column so no need to get worked up over it.

Id go with this- Hampden Babylon is probably the best football book Ive read (and Ive read a lot of football books- I even managed to read Inverting the Pyramid over the course of 2 lunch breaks)

TrickyNicky
01-06-2013, 11:17 PM
I used to like off the ball too, but have noticed that Cowan is very scathing, while trying to br funny about my club. for that reason I no longer listen to him but would like to best describe him as: a wee fat speccy unfunny c/nut that annoys me so much, I'd like to ram the nut oan.

:top marks

hibbymick
01-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Its no worth commenting on......we never turned up.

erin-go-bragh87
01-06-2013, 11:26 PM

Agree 100% mate. We need to instil a winning attitude at the club not be staying behind after a 3-0 defeat just because it wasn't as bad as last year. We should be angry we lost in another final and be asking questions of the board. This season was the perfect opportunity to really invest in the club and fight for second place. We are Hibernian, we are the finest club in the land and we have got to the stage that a cup final defeat is ok, that's not my Hibernian. I will never accept a 3-0 defeat in a cup final.

Scouse Hibee
01-06-2013, 11:28 PM
We won the singing comp of course we celebrated.

whiskas
01-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Tbh they didnt even start singing till they were 2-0 up so not exactly a difficult thing to win

Steve-O
02-06-2013, 08:25 AM
At the end if the day we've been on the wrong end of 3 of the most one sided finals in the last 13 years at least, and I for one am pissed off that this is the case.

NAE NOOKIE
02-06-2013, 08:55 AM
At the end if the day we've been on the wrong end of 3 of the most one sided finals in the last 13 years at least, and I for one am pissed off that this is the case.

True. But it would be nice if we had a change of luck going into these games.

In these last 3 finals we ended up going into these matches with either a rubbish team like last year or with injuries to key players, Sauzee / Griffiths or in the case of Russell Latapy, missing players.

Celtic had 2 key players missing this year, but were still able to replace them with quality.

I for one will never let Hibs get away with poor tactics or lack of effort, but those are not the only reasons we have been up against it in finals. The point that other, less well off teams than us have made a fist of it in Scottish Cup cup finals recently is valid, but in the main they have still lost.

Our biggest chance in my lifetime to win it would have been in 2007 but we lost out to Dunfermline after a replay in the semi. Given the fact that IMO we had our best team since the 70s and celtic were pretty poor that year, what a missed chance that was. John Collins GTF.

monktonharp
02-06-2013, 09:08 AM

In these last 3 finals we ended up going into these matches with either a rubbish team like last year or with injuries to key players, Sauzee / Griffiths or in the case of Russell Latapy, missing players.

Celtic had 2 key players missing this year, but were still able to replace them with quality.

I for one will never let Hibs get away with poor tactics or lack of effort, but those are not the only reasons we have been up against it in finals. The point that other, less well off teams than us have made a fist of it in Scottish Cup cup finals recently is valid, but in the main they have still lost.

Our biggest chance in my lifetime to win it would have been in 2007 but we lost out to Dunfermline after a replay in the semi. Given the fact that IMO we had our best team since the 70s and celtic were pretty poor that year, what a missed chance that was. John Collins GTF.well said, particularly re-the Dunfermline point. luck, which does not really win you a final, does desert us always though Ithink, in this cup.Scott Brown, today being announced that he is out of the Scotland Croatia game for a recurrence of his previous injury. now that would have been a slice of luck we could have done with !!!

Kaiser1962
02-06-2013, 09:24 AM
So, basically, there is nothing to be garnered from getting to two SC finals in a row, and being the first team outside the OF do this since Dundee United in 86 and 87 (who also lost both while losing five in ten years). Before that you have to go back to the early fifties for another non OF team to appear in back to back finals, or back 90 years for the last Hibs team to do it.

The day was disappointing, the players were quite obviously gutted at the end but some perspective should be applied.

JimBHibees
02-06-2013, 07:05 PM

Yep his own team got as easily beat in the final as we did. I'll put money he didnt write the same nonsense that he just did about Hibs and the Well fans werent as good as the Hibees were last week.

We started 442 and were caught out and well beaten. This happens we move on and will be stronger next season.

Jonnyboy
02-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Cowan just missed the point spectacularly like the vast majority of his meedja mates who rejoice in talking the game down in this country at every opportunity.

hibsfan
02-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Couldn't agree with tamC more - the reaction from those who 'celebrated' the result was embarrassing

JimBHibees
02-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Couldn't agree with tamC more - the reaction from those who 'celebrated' the result was embarrassing

No Hibs fan I know were celebrating just supporting their club after an excellent cup run.

Jonnyboy
02-06-2013, 07:27 PM

What's embarrassing is you insinuating that I and thousands of other Hibs fans were celebrating a defeat. If you really think that then you too are spectacularly missing the point. The singing of "We'll support you evermore" was the support saying Hibs first, last and always

CropleyWasGod
02-06-2013, 07:28 PM

Like Cowan, you miss the point.

Nobody "celebrated" the result. Everybody had their own reasons for joining in the singing at the end. For me, it was recognition of the fact that, despite everything else, Hibs are still here.

Saorsa
02-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Couldn't agree with tamC more - the reaction from those who 'celebrated' the result was embarrassing:rolleyes: aye because they were celebrating the result right enough. :blah:

pontius pilate
02-06-2013, 07:30 PM
I honestly thought it was an act of defiance at the end rather than a celebration. We can't win either way fans got slated for leaving early last year and at the semi but then we stay behind to show support to the team and we get slated.

JimBHibees
02-06-2013, 07:34 PM
I honestly thought it was an act of defiance at the end rather than a celebration. We can't win either way fans got slated for leaving early last year and at the semi but then we stay behind to show support to the team and we get slated.

Agree incredible really, if that had been the other way round and Celtic had reacted like we did if they had lost, they would be getting majorly respected for it. Not us which is a joke.

marinello59
02-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Agree incredible really, if that had been the other way round and Celtic had reacted like we did if they had lost, they would be getting majorly respected for it. Not us which is a joke.

He praised the Hibs fans. We weren't the target.

Kaiser1962
02-06-2013, 08:14 PM

Sorry but thats total nonsense.

bigwheel
02-06-2013, 08:19 PM

I can't believe anyone who was there actually thought that was what was happening ..the support and emotion was nothing to do with celebration.

FitbaFolkKen
02-06-2013, 08:31 PM
It was amazing, it was a mark of respect to OUR club. Supporters showing that they support their club regardless. For anyone cynical enough to view that as a sign of weakness and an acceptance of losing astounds me. Particularly if they were there.

I felt a genuine sense of pride being part of it. :pfgwa

marinello59
02-06-2013, 08:32 PM
It was amazing, it was a mark of respect to OUR club. Supporters showing that they support their club regardless. For anyone cynical enough to view that as a sign of weakness and an acceptance of losing astounds me. Particularly if they were there.

I felt a genuine sense of pride being part of it. :pfgwa

He praised the Hibs fans.

Kato
02-06-2013, 08:35 PM

Your reaction and misunderstanding of the situation is embarrassing.

Hibernia Na Eir
02-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Fat west coast Twally!
him and Cosgrove think they are they voice of reason..only serve to big up their own ego's
adopted a career out of eating around Gleasgie restaurants, feeding his gut... Under the premise of being a Foodie critic!....get him and the Perthshire welt off my Radio and Tv... Stick to the Daily ****** as I would never read that rag!!!

This.

Two sad little Easter eggs on legs.
whenever I hear their horrid accents on the airwaves its turn the dial time.

Beefster
02-06-2013, 09:09 PM
He praised the Hibs fans. We weren't the target.

He praised the Hibs fans.

I think there's a few posters who haven't actually read the article.

Si_17
02-06-2013, 09:19 PM

Our biggest chance in my lifetime to win it would have been in 2007 but we lost out to Dunfermline after a replay in the semi. Given the fact that IMO we had our best team since the 70s and celtic were pretty poor that year, what a missed chance that was. John Collins GTF.

To suggest that was Collins' fault is ludicrous. The blame lies solely at the feet of the rat *******s who went knocking on Petrie's front door. FWIW I agree wholeheartedly that 2007 was our best shot. Celtic were there for the taking and a better team than Dunfermline probably would have won on the day.

hibsfan
02-06-2013, 09:37 PM
I can't believe anyone who was there actually thought that was what was happening ..the support and emotion was nothing to do with celebration.

Celebrated was indeed the wrong word for me to use. However - I was there and the atmosphere was embarrassing. We were losing a cup final and playing badly. The team has been embarrassing for most of the season - so to cheer and dance just looked daft. Personal opinion and one I am entitled to. When we win the floods thing - that's when we should be singing and dancing

Saorsa
02-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Celebrated was indeed the wrong word for me to use. However - I was there and the atmosphere was embarrassing. We were losing a cup final and playing badly. The team has been embarrassing for most of the season - so to cheer and dance just looked daft. Personal opinion and one I am entitled to. When we win the floods thing - that's when we should be singing and dancingYour right you are entitled tae it and my opinion is that your opinion is a load of *****

you'll no be wanting a ticket for the next one then in case you get embarrassed again?

FranckSuzy
02-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Celebrated was indeed the wrong word for me to use. However - I was there and the atmosphere was embarrassing. We were losing a cup final and playing badly. The team has been embarrassing for most of the season - so to cheer and dance just looked daft. Personal opinion and one I am entitled to. When we win the floods thing - that's when we should be singing and dancing

Eh? :confused: Don't go then if you're that easily embarrassed :aok:

Sammy7nil
02-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Eh? :confused: Don't go then if you're that easily embarrassed :aok:

Yeah that will sort it :confused:
Why do "fans" always say to other "fans" they disagree with dont go ? That solves nothing.
Personally at 3 - 0 I felt nothing like singing and dancing just gutted yet again.

Bishop Hibee
02-06-2013, 10:04 PM
The atmosphere in the last 10 mins of the final was defiant not embarrassing.

I agree that 2007 was a great chance to win. If the ref had given us the pen when Bamba pushed Shiels in the box at 0-0 in the replay.....

FranckSuzy
02-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Yeah that will sort it :confused:
Why do "fans" always say to other "fans" they disagree with dont go ? That solves nothing.
Personally at 3 - 0 I felt nothing like singing and dancing just gutted yet again.

I specifically highlighted his quote that 'The team has been embarrassing for most of the season'. If you really thought that, why would you spend your time, money and energy to go to a cup final in Glasgow? And quite how have the team have been 'embarrassing' is beyond me....... I think most Hibs fans there were gutted BUT you don't stop supporting the team and say you're embarrassed by them:rolleyes:. That's not Hibs class.

Sammy7nil
02-06-2013, 10:18 PM
I specifically highlighted his quote that 'The team has been embarrassing for most of the season'. If you really thought that, why would you spend your time, money and energy to go to a cup final in Glasgow? And quite how have the team have been 'embarrassing' is beyond me....... I think most Hibs fans there were gutted BUT you don't stop supporting the team and say you're embarrassed by them:rolleyes:. That's not Hibs class.

I am a wee bit tired of that phrase, we have many A+++holes who come out to support our team that are not "Hibs class". For once I would like to see HIBS fans supporting our team Winning the SC with or without class

FranckSuzy
02-06-2013, 10:28 PM
I am a wee bit tired of that phrase, we have many A+++holes who come out to support our team that are not "Hibs class". For once I would like to see HIBS fans supporting our team Winning the SC with or without class

As do we all :rolleyes: I don't know why you're taking issue with what I've posted :confused: I am asking a Hibs fan how he can say the team has been 'embarrassing'. For once I'd like HIBS fans support the team and give credit where it's due. Yes, we got beat in the final but to say that the team's performance over the season has been 'embarrassing' is extremely wide of the mark IMHO.

The Leith Dutch
03-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Id go with this- Hampden Babylon is probably the best football book Ive read (and Ive read a lot of football books- I even managed to read Inverting the Pyramid over the course of 2 lunch breaks)

Apologies for the tangent but have you read Brilliant Orange by David Winner?

If not well worth a read - it's a look at the origins of total football in the Netherlands and how the peculiar dutch psyche works and was responsible for it.

Cracking read.

hibsfan
03-06-2013, 09:15 AM
As do we all :rolleyes: I don't know why you're taking issue with what I've posted :confused: I am asking a Hibs fan how he can say the team has been 'embarrassing'. For once I'd like HIBS fans support the team and give credit where it's due. Yes, we got beat in the final but to say that the team's performance over the season has been 'embarrassing' is extremely wide of the mark IMHO.

The issue is that very little credit was due this season...

The Leith Dutch
03-06-2013, 10:19 AM

Honest question in the interests of debate rather than an attempt to be arsey -

Give us 5 reasons or examples of why you don't think credit was due and 5 things you would have seen done or have happened differently that may have inclined you to give the team credit.

(just for the record I'd give them some credit but I certainly don't think all is or was rosy)

JimBHibees
03-06-2013, 10:24 AM

Better league position, got to another final for first time since 1920's, an amazing cup run knocking out 3 SPL teams including the gimps, introducing 3 or 4 very promising younger players, we have a goalie, Sparky's goals etc. :confused:

Part/Time Supporter
03-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Not sure Cowan is in any position to comment:

Motherwell have won naff all since 1991

They've been in two cup finals since then (20+ years), and were beaten 5-1 and 3-0.

Funny how he doesn't mention any of that.

The Leith Dutch
03-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Not sure Cowan is in any position to comment:

Motherwell have won naff all since 1991

They've been in two cup finals since then (20+ years), and were beaten 5-1 and 3-0.

Funny how he doesn't mention any of that.

You forgot their amazing levels of support - average attendance of 5300 this season even though they came second in the league.

Mind you, if all their fans are Tam Cowan shaped they're still probably top of the average weight of attendance table......

Stevie Reid
03-06-2013, 10:41 AM
What an utterly depressing thread, with so many posters prepared to go along with the ridiculous condescension in a poorly written article that is simply designed to be provocative, and has zero substance.

The support, players and manager were all gutted last week, and celebrated nothing - all three parties simply conducted themselves in the right manner. How pathetic that being gracious in defeat is worthy of derision.

Onion
03-06-2013, 11:09 AM
What an utterly depressing thread, with so many posters prepared to go along with the ridiculous condescension in a poorly written article that is simply designed to be provocative, and has zero substance.

The support, players and manager were all gutted last week, and celebrated nothing - all three parties simply conducted themselves in the right manner. How pathetic that being gracious in defeat is worthy of derision.

Well put but don't think the main point was to noise up Hibs fans at all. His main criticism was that after 10 straight defeats in the SCF and two pretty poor capitulations, maybe the Hibs players, fans and manager should NOT be so gracious and accepting of defeat. Like most neutrals, he just wanted Hibs to beat Celtic and was pissed off at how easily we gave up on the game. Hibs fans "celebrating" at the end must have just looked weird to outsiders and showing everyone exactly why we've not won this thing in decades. Until we stop being so ******g gracious, get a bit of steel in our team and go out with a determination to win it, we'll continue to be the joke club in the Scottish Cup.
The situation is so bad now that nobody wants to be the team that finally loses to Hibs in the Scottish Cup as it would be so embarrassing.

Part/Time Supporter
03-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Well put but don't think the main point was to noise up Hibs fans at all. His main criticism was that after 10 straight defeats in the SCF and two pretty poor capitulations, maybe the Hibs players, fans and manager should NOT be so gracious and accepting of defeat. Like most neutrals, he just wanted Hibs to beat Celtic and was pissed off at how easily we gave up on the game. Hibs fans "celebrating" at the end must have just looked weird to outsiders and showing everyone exactly why we've not won this thing in decades. Until we stop being so ******g gracious, get a bit of steel in our team and go out with a determination to win it, we'll continue to be the joke club in the Scottish Cup.
The situation is so bad now that nobody wants to be the team that finally loses to Hibs in the Scottish Cup as it would be so embarrassing.

1. What did Tam Cowan do after his team were pumped in the only two cup finals they've been in during the last 20 years? I hope he didn't accept the defeats graciously, or that might be ever so slightly hypocritical. He's talking as if his team were some sort of experts in winning cups, which they patently aren't.

2. What would you have preferred that the Hibs fans, players and manager had done? Go on a rampage in Glasgow city centre? Blame the referee for, erm, not giving a free kick or two?

Stevie Reid
03-06-2013, 11:28 AM

But we weren't celebrating anything - we were showing amazing support to our manager and players (who were clearly gutted) at the end of a season where we had restored a reasonable bit of pride after the all time low of 12 months earlier.

I don't think we gave up on the game easily, incidentally - a huge chunk of our belief disappeared after 8 minutes, and what remained all but went after 31. Our best player wasn't fit, which became more evident after half time, and it's hard enough playing a Celtic team with Hooper, Stokes, Ledley, Forrest, Commons and Brown in it at 0-0, never mind chasing a two nil deficit. We were beaten by the better side, which was the most likely outcome - the most disappointing thing is that they didn't have to play that well.

For us to win we needed to have our best players fit, and the team to play supremely well overall - with the defence and Williams being on top form - and we also needed Celtic to have an off day, and us to get a bit of luck. Not one of those things happened, but that's no disgrace - simply not disgracing yourself is nothing to celebrate though, hence why no one was celebrating at the end of the game.

I find the bit I have highlighted in bold extremely bizarre, btw - why on earth would anyone want to lose to Hibs in a cup final, regardless of our record?

Sammy7nil
03-06-2013, 11:39 AM
1. What did Tam Cowan do after his team were pumped in the only two cup finals they've been in during the last 20 years? I hope he didn't accept the defeats graciously, or that might be ever so slightly hypocritical. He's talking as if his team were some sort of experts in winning cups, which they patently aren't.

2. What would you have preferred that the Hibs fans, players and manager had done? Go on a rampage in Glasgow city centre? Blame the referee for, erm, not giving a free kick or two?

I agree with point 1.
On point 2 I would have expected the players and manger to say we were beaten by a very good Celtic team however I am very disappointed that we FAILED to get in to the game after losing the first goal. The tactics did not work and we seemed incapable of changing the flow of the game. On the plus side it is a 2nd straight final that is some progress but the outcome in the final was exactly the same as last year and simply not good enough. We did not deserve the fantasic backing of the fans etc etc

Geo_1875
03-06-2013, 11:40 AM
I can't believe the condescending rubbish written by the Daily Record's fat walloper of a restaurant critic has provoked a 4 page thread, and some bitter in-fighting. He's a "Motherwell" fan FFS. They can hardly claim any kind of superiority over Hibs, either on or off the park. He's a fan of mediocrity. Let him revel in it.

Onion
03-06-2013, 11:43 AM
But we weren't celebrating anything - we were showing amazing support to our manager and players (who were clearly gutted) at the end of a season where we had restored a reasonable bit of pride after the all time low of 12 months earlier.

I don't think we gave up on the game easily, incidentally - a huge chunk of our belief disappeared after 8 minutes, and what remained all but went after 31. Our best player wasn't fit, which became more evident after half time, and it's hard enough playing a Celtic team with Hooper, Stokes, Ledley, Forrest, Commons and Brown in it at 0-0, never mind chasing a two nil deficit. We were beaten by the better side, which was the most likely outcome - the most disappointing thing is that they didn't have to play that well.

For us to win we needed to have our best players fit, and the team to play supremely well overall - with the defence and Williams being on top form - and we also needed Celtic to have an off day, and us to get a bit of luck. Not one of those things happened, but that's no disgrace - simply not disgracing yourself is nothing to celebrate though, hence why no one was celebrating at the end of the game.

I find the bit I have highlighted in bold extremely bizarre, btw - why on earth would anyone want to lose to Hibs in a cup final, regardless of our record?

No problem with a lot of that, except that's not how it would have looked to the neutral. The article give a neutral's perspective on the game and the players reaction post-match. We can scream and jump up and down about it but that changes nothing.

Lennon was interviewed straight after the game and explained how he was so nervous on the day as he didn't want Celtic to be the team that lost to Hibs. IMHO anything which motivates the opposition, especially the OF, doesn't hep us. No other team has to fight that as well.

Sammy7nil
03-06-2013, 11:48 AM
I can't believe the condescending rubbish written by the Daily Record's fat walloper of a restaurant critic has provoked a 4 page thread, and some bitter in-fighting. He's a "Motherwell" fan FFS. They can hardly claim any kind of superiority over Hibs, either on or off the park. He's a fan of mediocrity. Let him revel in it.

I think Motherwell can claim superiority over Hibs in recent times.
Hibs have won a couple of league cups they have won a SC and consistently finished above Hibs in the league.

If anything it is Hibs who are wallowing in Mediocrity bar 3 - 4 decent seasons out of the last 25 years.

Part/Time Supporter
03-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Hibs have won a couple of league cups they have won a SC and consistently finished above Hibs in the league.

If anything it is Hibs who are wallowing in Mediocrity bar 3 - 4 decent seasons out of the last 25 years.

If by "recent times" you are meaning the last 20-25 years (since you are including Motherwell's 91 SC win and Hibs 91/92 LC win), off the top of my head Motherwell haven't "consistently finished above Hibs in the league". Probably about as often as each other, maybe Hibs slightly more often. Motherwell have been higher in each of the last three seasons, but before that Motherwell had only been higher in one (2007/08) of the previous eight seasons (2002/03 - 2009/10).

Hibby D
03-06-2013, 11:56 AM

:agree: He'll be printing out this thread and adding it to his CV - What a coup for him :greengrin

JimBHibees
03-06-2013, 11:58 AM

Why is one cup win deemed to be better than 2?

Also since 98/99 (earliest they go on the Scot Prem site) Hibs have been ahead of Motherwell 8 times, Well ahead of Hibs 7 times.

Barman Stanton
03-06-2013, 12:03 PM

I would be very surprised if Well have finished ahead of us more in the past 25 years. And why is one Cup better than 2 Cup!?

Sammy7nil
03-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Why is one cup win deemed to be better than 2?

Also since 98/99 (earliest they go on the Scot Prem site) Hibs have been ahead of Motherwell 8 times, Well ahead of Hibs 7 times.

Ask any Hibs fan what is the better cup if you dont know there is no point explaining :greengrin

JimBHibees
03-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Ask any Yam what is the better cup if you dont know there is no point explaining :greengrin

Fixed that for you. :greengrin

Sammy7nil
03-06-2013, 12:08 PM
If by "recent times" you are meaning the last 20-25 years (since you are including Motherwell's 91 SC win and Hibs 91/92 LC win), off the top of my head Motherwell haven't "consistently finished above Hibs in the league". Probably about as often as each other, maybe Hibs slightly more often. Motherwell have been higher in each of the last three seasons, but before that Motherwell had only been higher in one (2007/08) of the previous eight seasons (2002/03 - 2009/10).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Premier_League

Have a wee look at the link to the all time SPL league table Hibs are 7th Motherwell are 4th. Hibs have not always been in the SPL !
In the last 15 years Hibs have finshed 8 times above Motherwell 3 of them were by a single point.
Hibs definitely cannot claim any sort of superiority over Motherwell in recent years.

JimBHibees
03-06-2013, 12:11 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Premier_League

Have a wee look at the link to the all time SPL league table Hibs are 7th Motherwell are 4th. Hibs have not always been in the SPL !
In the last 15 years Hibs have finshed 8 times above Motherwell 3 of them were by a single point.
Hibs definitely cannot claim any sort of superiority over Motherwell in recent years.

For one season, Motherwell should have went down as they were 12th but didnt go down must have been saved for some reason. You are the one claiming Motherwell's superiority which isnt backed by the facts.

Stevie Reid
03-06-2013, 12:14 PM
No problem with a lot of that, except that's not how it would have looked to the neutral. The article give a neutral's perspective on the game and the players reaction post-match. We can scream and jump up and down about it but that changes nothing.

Lennon was interviewed straight after the game and explained how he was so nervous on the day as he didn't want Celtic to be the team that lost to Hibs. IMHO anything which motivates the opposition, especially the OF, doesn't hep us. No other team has to fight that as well.

I'm not screaming and jumping up and down about anything, I think the article is poorly written and am disappointed by how many posters on here are going along with it.

That we were comprehensively beaten by Celtic is not in question. The suggestion that we should be outraged by it is perplexing. The statement that the players and Fenlon were celebrating the result is just plain insulting.

I'm pretty sure Neil Lennon would have been just as bothered about losing to Hibs had we won it in 2012. The whole way the length of time we have gone without winning the Scottish Cup is getting blown out of all proportion by media irks me hugely - especially when jumped upon by folk like Tam Cowan. I watched Hibs destroy Killie 5-1 in the League Cup Final six years ago in front 52,00 supporters at Hampden Park - the way he writes you would think that we'd done nothing in recent history.

Motherwell last won anything in 1991, and have been at Hampden six times in the 22 years since. We have won two trophies since then and at Hampden 6 times in the last 7 years. We don't need to be pitied and patronised by inarticulate chancers like Cowan.

Barman Stanton
03-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Ask any Hibs fan what is the better cup if you dont know there is no point explaining :greengrin

Better Cup? How very Jamboish!

Since Motherwell last won anything we have won 2 cups and been in 7 finals compared to their 2. I hardly think they have been more successful in that time period.

JimBHibees
03-06-2013, 12:51 PM

Since Motherwell last won anything we have won 2 cups and been in 7 finals compared to their 2. I hardly think they have been more successful in that time period.

Agree playing against the same teams to win each of the cups.

Beefster
03-06-2013, 03:18 PM
am disappointed by how many posters on here are going along with it.

Sorry to be a disappointment but I'm "going along with it" because I posted pretty much the same point in the day or so after the cup final so I'd be an absolute hypocrite to change my mind because Tam Cowan has said the same thing. I didn't like the 'we played well and didn't crumble' tone of the post-match interviews and didn't think it was really appropriate after getting pumped 3-0.

To be honest, I don't give a **** what team Cowan supports or whatever. It's all pretty irrelevant to his point.

Stevie Reid
03-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Here's his view following Motherwell's 3-0 defeat to Celtic in 2011 - whilst he does criticise the team selection and performance to an extent, they are just cursory mentions and doesn't go anywhere close to the level of criticism that he reserved for us: -

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-cup-final-tam-cowans-1103709

Stuart McCall said the following after the defeat: -

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/motherwell/251278-mccall-concedes-worthy-defeat-as-motherwell-disappoint/

This stands out: - “We've gone through 75 minutes only one down and a couple of little things went against us, but you can't take anything away from Celtic - they were the better side.”

Though Steve Jennings did apologise on Twitter, for what that's worth.

Pat said this: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22676443

I don't see a huge amount of difference. Both gracious losers.

I used to think that Cowan came across as not being that enamoured by Hibs whenever he mentioned us on the radio (and I haven't listened to him for a long time). This article doesn't change my mind.

Holmesdale Hibs
03-06-2013, 06:32 PM
I quite like Tam Cowan and agree with most of what he wrote. Apart from the first 7min, it's difficult to take any positives from the performance.

The fans were 10/10 but let's not confuse that with the team performance. We (the team) were poor and Celtic won the game at a canter

Sammy7nil
03-06-2013, 06:34 PM

Great put down not

The league cup is NOTHING like the SC it is not the same teams the SPL top 8 are seeded.
No replays makes winning that cup easier just a fact.
As everyone says league placing are the bread and butter and Motherwell are currently and in recent years easily out performing Hibs.

Barman Stanton
03-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Great put down not

The league cup is NOTHING like the SC it is not the same teams the SPL top 8 are seeded.
No replays makes winning that cup easier just a fact.
As everyone says league placing are the bread and butter and Motherwell are currently and in recent years easily out performing Hibs.

Wasn't a put down, just my opinion.

I would disagree the L Cup is nothing like the SC. That's nonsense, same teams (other than Junior) with Final at Hampden. I would rather win the SC of course but winning any national competition is an achievement.

Sammy7nil
03-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Wasn't a put down, just my opinion.

I would disagree the L Cup is nothing like the SC. That's nonsense, same teams (other than Junior) with Final at Hampden. I would rather win the SC of course but winning any national competition is an achievement.

We will just have to agree to disagree the LC is NOTHING like the SC but totally agree it is worth winning any national trophy.
The OF playing weakend teams up to the semi even Hibs have done that, we got knocked out. No replays straight to pens and seeding ensure they are 2 very different comps.

Jonnyboy
03-06-2013, 07:17 PM

Were you still there as thousands, yes thousands of your fellow Hibs fans showed their affection for the club by singing we'll support you evermore, or were you away down the road to avoid being embarrassed?

lagersman
04-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Agree 100% mate. We need to instil a winning attitude at the club not be staying behind after a 3-0 defeat just because it wasn't as bad as last year. We should be angry we lost in another final and be asking questions of the board. This season was the perfect opportunity to really invest in the club and fight for second place. We are Hibernian, we are the finest club in the land and we have got to the stage that a cup final defeat is ok, that's not my Hibernian. I will never accept a 3-0 defeat in a cup final.

have to laugh season after season supporters saying " nows the time to invest " erm with what exactly?
we have no money no one has any money its a juggling act with seasoned pro's and youngsters players in players out in the hope that one manager gets it right for one season before anyone decent is sold.
i would love nothing better than to see my beloved HIBS being at top end of league and challenging for cups come the end of the season but in reality its not going to happen very often.
however i'll be there week in week out hoping praying crying laughing and moaning in the hope that we get our wee crack at glory. GGTTH.

poolman
22-06-2013, 09:11 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tam-cowan-hearts-15-point-1976877

Hey Tam stop it, ma sides are splittin here :rolleyes:

:trumpet:

R'Albin
22-06-2013, 09:25 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tam-cowan-hearts-15-point-1976877

I can't be arsed reading whatever he has written, but my guess is that he has realised he got our attention with his last article and is trying to do it again.

Heisenberg
22-06-2013, 09:31 AM

He's trying way too hard to be funny. It's not working for him.

hibbymac
22-06-2013, 09:40 AM
I can't be arsed reading whatever he has written, but my guess is that he has realised he got our attention with his last article and is trying to do it again.

Worth seeing the photo of the nice Yams fans, some of which are doing a "Nazi" salute, ...... oh and is that Ratface Scatchel on the right side of the picture? :ostrich:

carnoustiehibee
22-06-2013, 10:19 AM
"To be honest, though, I couldn’t bear the thought of Scottish football without Tynecastle – the most atmospheric stadium in the country "

One of the biggest myths of Scottish football.

Yer patter is ***** tam. Also stuffing yer face with a free meal doesn't mean yer a food critic

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-06-2013, 10:28 AM
His weekly scran column shows a lot more knowledge than his pish that he spouts about football. At least he can say he doesnae blether as much pish as the weegie bint on page 3 of the Saturday mag.

joe breezy
22-06-2013, 10:29 AM
I used to like Tam Cowan and on the radio he's not a bad sidekick to Cosgrove but that series of cheesy jokes is fairly bad stuff. Not a great writer. That's for sure folks.

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Tam Cowan, for me at least, has always been the media version of the local daftie. Every town has one, and they don't do any real harm. They only bit I don't care for in this article is the suggestion that there is something noble in administration and they way the team and supporters rally round. If you pay out money you can't afford then that it cheating. If you are shafting local businesses by paying them 10 or 20p for every pound you owe them and they then need to close or lay off their staff because of that, is your organisation really the heart of the community? So in amongst the cheap half-wit jibes at Hibs, the bit that is missing is the story of how when we got in to difficulties, we sold off the best team that we have had in generations to plug the gaps.

Kaiser1962
22-06-2013, 11:32 AM
The "fans" are not going to save Hearts. One fan with plenty of money might, but fans raising £800k or £1m or even £2m isnt even going to touch the sides.

It will take a lot more than that.

Cowan playing to the gallery.

CallumHibs07
22-06-2013, 01:16 PM

Pretty Boy
22-06-2013, 01:20 PM
It's not exactly funny but it's clearly a pretty harmless joke.

Some sensitive wee souls on here at times.

NOLA
22-06-2013, 01:58 PM
he used to be funny, FACT

hibby rae
22-06-2013, 02:03 PM
He states that it was the fans that saved Rangers. If memory serves they were liquidated.

VivaHiberña
22-06-2013, 02:14 PM
I almost pity the man, he's trying so hard to be funny and to get a reaction.
It's just plain cringey, but what can we expect? He's writing for the ****** and will obviously play to the gallery.

It's clear that the Yams just can't save the club, as much as they might try, so let him (and them) keep spouting their s****.

As for "catching" us, well, we just need to ask about when they caught us last season :fenlon

All the best to Motherwell with what's left of their squad after summer :giruy:

harry-hibee
22-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Look this guy spent the whole of last season telling the same Leigh Griffiths joke week in and week out, he got so good at it that he laughed at it even before he started to tell it.

adhibs
22-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Worth seeing the photo of the nice Yams fans, some of which are doing a "Nazi" salute, ...... oh and is that Ratface Scatchel on the right side of the picture? :ostrich:

:agree: would probably say one thems a 'red hand'. that picture sums their ******* club up completely

--------
22-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Look this guy spent the whole of last season telling the same Leigh Griffiths joke week in and week out, he got so good at it that he laughed at it even before he started to tell it.

If I got worked up about every fat unfunny moron from Motherwell I come across I'd have agitated myself into a strait-jacket years ago.

The Daily Record is only fit for wrapping your fish and chips in. Cowan's an unfunny idiot. Nothing to see here. folks - just move on.

Spike Mandela
22-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Usual sentimental guff about fans saving clubs. Motherwell weren't saved by the fans they were saved by John Boyle writing off £4.6m in debt he was owed along with the players and other creditors accepting pennies in the pound.

Hearts won't be saved by the fans or cake bakes or even season ticket sales they will be saved, if they are saved, by faceless Lithuanian officials brow beaten into accepting pennies in the pound for millions of debt they are owed.

The football administration con routine in full swing again whilst the msm lay the emotional bull**** on thick about long suffering fans, institutions and communities. Etc.

Treadstone
22-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Hullo there Sandy K

I was looking for someone else and happened to come across your profile page (http://www.hibs.net/member.php?2275-SandyK). Quite a handy wee page of information (a wee bit like hibs.net) informed me that even though you had your tantrum (post #17691) (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?247788-Financial-meltdown-(BDO-appointed-as-HMFC-administrators)&p=3639732&highlight=#post3639732) last week you pop in regularly. Hope you are enjoying the show and availing yourself of the info at hand.

ps the correct spelling is beezer

chrisski33
22-06-2013, 06:16 PM
he used to be funny, FACT

He has NEVER been funny FACT! :-)