PDA

View Full Version : Malta (Paola) Hibs.

JOD
01-06-2013, 12:57 AM
Whilst on hols I went to see the Hibernians play a game against their fierce rivals Valletta in the semi=of their cup in the National Stadium.

Hibs won 3-2 and went on to win the cup the following week.

The atmosphere was very Partizan to say the least with as many police as fans.

When Hibs were awarded a penalty all hell broke out with the opposition fans fighting with the police/dogs etc., in the ditch which surrounded the stadium.

While all this was going on I casually walked up to the bar in the gound and ordered myself another pint of the local brew (Cisk) no probs.

It was all a bit unreal.It is the done thing over there and nobody bats an eyelid. I enjoyed the match tho.

Next day I thought I'll buy myself a Hibs top to take back --- no way--- When you asked if they sold them the looks you got were just lets say not friendly.

The only place on the island of Malta you can buy a Hibs top is in Paola itself.They take their football very seriously over there.

In Paola itself it was a one team town with banners flags everywhere and I went to a locals bar named ''Hibernians FC'' and had a few at 1.50 euros a pint.

Got some great picts of Hibs/Hibees and if I can ever work out how to change this aviator I will for a period. I was also very impressed with their knowledge of us.

They appeared to look up to us as big brothers/knew some of our greats/and above all knew about the green.

All in all a great experiance and altho I dont think we can meet this year as we are both unseeded I believe we would get great welcome over there should it ever happen.

It would be a great trip for us.

www.hiberniansfc.org/history.aspx (http://www.hiberniansfc.org/history.aspx)

Hail Hail. :flag:

ginger_eejit
01-06-2013, 01:16 AM
I sure at my mum and dads in the back of a wardrobe somewhere is a Malta Hibs top I bought on a family trip there back in 91. I remember buying it in a wee sports shop just inside the city walls as you came into Valetta

Hibernia Na Eir
01-06-2013, 07:37 AM
we were supposed to play Malta hibs were we not? did Hibs (Edinburgh) not send over a coaching delegation to Malta couple of years ago with the outcome being a friendly match to be arranged between the two Hibs?
would be corkin trip.
I'm not surprised by crowd disorder in the slightest. These Mediterranean boys don't F*** about.
Come on Paddy, get a match fixed up!

Spike Mandela
01-06-2013, 08:30 AM
I was in Malta many years ago and bought a Hibs top as well and as you say I had to hunt high and low and could only find the one shop in the whole of Veletta that had them. Still got it, black and white stripes with the badge 'Hibs FC'. Wore it to a few games back in the day. Doubt it would fit me now:rolleyes:

.Louise.
01-06-2013, 09:14 AM
I have a Hibernians strip and scarf my parents brought me back from Malta! Again it was the shop in Valletta they got it from!

frazeHFC
01-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Said it before on here but i've been over there a few times, went to supporters bar / stadium. Its the dream of their groundsman to see us play them. We swapped a Hibs (us) pennant with a Hibs (them) one.

Was close couple of years ago to a friendly being arranged but flights were the issue.

Hope it happens sometime soon!

nic81
01-06-2013, 10:08 AM
We went to Malta in April and i couldn't find the stadium or anything about them, going back in a couple of years, is on my to do list!:flag::hibees

LancsHibs
01-06-2013, 10:52 AM
We went to Malta in April and i couldn't find the stadium or anything about them, going back in a couple of years, is on my to do list!:flag::hibees

Hibs pay their league games (as all Maltise Premier League fixtures) at the National Stadium. The picture on my avatar is taken outside the Hibs ground and club in Paola.

frazeHFC
01-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Hibs pay their league games (as all Maltise Premier League fixtures) at the National Stadium. The picture on my avatar is taken outside the Hibs ground and club in Paola.

Why do they do that when they have their own ground? :dunno:

JOD
01-06-2013, 11:14 AM

From what I saw it is probably a security issue. Altho the locals were very friendly to me and the wife not too sure there would be a warm

welcome to their rivals in Paola town.

JOD
01-06-2013, 11:16 AM

Exact same photo I took m8. :greengrin :greengrin

Berwickhibby
01-06-2013, 11:51 AM
I am moving permanently to Malta in July so I will be adopting Hibernians Malta as my team

LancsHibs
01-06-2013, 12:30 PM

The grounds are too small and really not fit for purpose, a bit like Tynecastle:wink:

LancsHibs
01-06-2013, 12:33 PM
I am moving permanently to Malta in July so I will be adopting Hibernians Malta as my team

Luck you, what a great place to live. The only thing I think I would miss is the Hibs!

Berwickhibby
01-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Luck you, what a great place to live. The only thing I think I would miss is the Hibs!

Got a nice place in St Pauls Bay so all I need to do is jump on the bus to Rabat as it passes the National Stadium GGTTH :flag: