PDA

View Full Version : Let's cut to the chase.... (ticket prices debate)

Miguel
31-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Just been talking to some mates, who go, go now and then, have stopped going, haven't gone for years. The consensus was - forget seasons - that £15 and £5 for kids would be right. Is it right.

Geo_1875
31-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Just been talking to some mates, who go, go now and then, have stopped going, haven't gone for years. The consensus was - forget seasons - that £15 and £5 for kids would be right. Is it right.

Very possibly if they want to watch Dunfermline v Alloa.

CallumLaidlaw
31-05-2013, 10:51 PM
We just don't have the TV revenue of major countries to be able to lower ticket prices that much, and also, it's been shown in the past that reducing ticket prices doesn't really improve the crowd that much.

The only real way of increasing our attendances is getting things right on the pitch

Miguel
31-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Well, I've got to say, purely from my own point of view, that if it was £15, perhaps £20 for category A, it would encourage me to go. How is a guy with two kids realistically going to shell out the best part of £50 on a match v Dundee, or St Johnstone. Isn't going to happen.

Mark1875
31-05-2013, 11:10 PM
We just don't have the TV revenue of major countries to be able to lower ticket prices that much, and also, it's been shown in the past that reducing ticket prices doesn't really improve the crowd that much.

The only real way of increasing our attendances is getting things right on the pitch

The fact that we don't get the tv revenue of other countries is exactly the reason why the/all club/s should be trying to increase attendances.

I don't believe it's ever been shown that reduced prices doesn't help. As I said on another thread yesterday one off games at reduced prices isn't going to break people's habits. It's these habits that need to be broken and replaced with the new one of going to the football every other week. To have any chance of doing this any initiative would need to be attempted for a far longer period of time. Unfortunately as was also pointed out on the same thread, clubs can't really afford to take the hit in the short term while waiting for attendances to rise.

The last part is partly correct. I would change the wording slightly at the start though to 'the most effective way'. Just my opinion of course. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibeedonald
31-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Me and mate got student season tickets for £120, around a fiver game. Nice seats where we wanted them in the East in the singing section. I'm certainly not going to complain about prices.

Saorsa
31-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Just been talking to some mates, who go, go now and then, have stopped going, haven't gone for years. The consensus was - forget seasons - that £15 and £5 for kids would be right. Is it right.In an ideal world but that it isnae. Even charging what we do we cannae compete with the silly tv money and wages in the leagues next door. Before live tv came along and IMO spoiled the game with their silly money (and stupid ****in' ko times) yes but as it is now can you imagine what sort of players we'd be getting with less money than we have now.

Saorsa
31-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Me and mate got student season tickets for £120, around a fiver game. Nice seats where we wanted them in the East in the singing section. I'm certainly not going to complain about prices.Bloody students :grr: we could maybe put the prices down a wee bit for everybody if students didnae get everything so bloody cheap. :agree:

davidw
31-05-2013, 11:26 PM

Couldn't agree more with the original post, and responses like the above are, frankly, bonkers.

The whole issue for Hibs and football generally is about continuation of a fan base, and when it's unaffordable to take kids regularly, you have a problem.

I took a (non-football-fan) friend of mine from Dundee to a Utd - Hibs game at Tannadice (or Tanna-dee-chey, in the words of ITN, famously, years ago). He was presuming it would be £15-£20 maximum for him and his young (6 or 7 years of age) son. It was about £43 for the two. He was astonished and said clearly that although his son loved it (god knows why - it was awful: 1-0 Utd, late penalty, utter sh*t), he simply couldn't afford to take his son more than once or twice a season at that cost.

Check the stats: about one in five people in Dundee at the time were in receipt of, or dependent on, low income related benefits. Then wonder why attendances are so low when it costs £43 for a father and a son to watch a **** game of football. And this was a couple of years ago - it will be worse now.

And the same applies everywhere else in Scotland. Yes, there are complicated finances, and yes, lots of people pay monthly thru season tickets etc., but there is a whole potential audience out there put off by the exorbitant cost.

It wasn't always this way. The cost has increased ludicrously in the last 20 years ago, and ignoring this in the discussion of attendances is simply silly.

So there.

Saorsa
31-05-2013, 11:31 PM
Couldn't agree more with the original post, and responses like the above are, frankly, bonkers.

The whole issue for Hibs and football generally is about continuation of a fan base, and when it's unaffordable to take kids regularly, you have a problem.

I took a (non-football-fan) friend of mine from Dundee to a Utd - Hibs game at Tannadice (or Tanna-dee-chey, in the words of ITN, famously, years ago). He was presuming it would be £15-£20 maximum for him and his young (6 or 7 years of age) son. It was about £43 for the two. He was astonished and said clearly that although his son loved it (god knows why - it was awful: 1-0 Utd, late penalty, utter sh*t), he simply couldn't afford to take his son more than once or twice a season at that cost.

Check the stats: about one in five people in Dundee at the time were in receipt of, or dependent on, low income related benefits. Then wonder why attendances are so low when it costs £43 for a father and a son to watch a **** game of football. And this was a couple of years ago - it will be worse now.

And the same applies everywhere else in Scotland. Yes, there are complicated finances, and yes, lots of people pay monthly thru season tickets etc., but there is a whole potential audience out there put off by the exorbitant cost.

It wasn't always this way. The cost has increased ludicrously in the last 20 year's ago, and ignoring this in the discussion if attendances is simply silly.

So there.http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Mm3lq0lBvVw/S495xcy8_6I/AAAAAAAAHDQ/btgduzcbCrk/s200/Calvin+Thumbing+nose.jpg

:faf:

GreenPJ
31-05-2013, 11:37 PM

The only real way of increasing our attendances is getting wthings right on the pitch.

The chairman's answer.

Jones28
31-05-2013, 11:55 PM
£15 and £5 would encourage a lot more fans from outside Edinburgh to go I'm sure. It certainly would get me going to more games. A day at the football costs me £60-70, not affordable

West hamBERNIAN
01-06-2013, 12:05 AM
Truth is, if your happy to pay to go to the cinema and pay, what £10 a ticket for a recorded replay captured on film then you should be able to find an extra £10 to watch a live sport. Maybe I'm a bit out of touch price wise. First game I went to down here two years ago was against spurs, one nil win header from a corner. Paid £80 for a ticket in the gods but ill never forget that game. That's the difference really, things that happen in football never leave you. I'll always have memories of watching the hibs with my dad and even my grandad. Priceless. Anyway, water now! :greengrin

Saorsa
01-06-2013, 12:08 AM

The chairman's answer.Isn't it the answer? I seem tae remember prices went up when Mowbray was manager, it didnae stop the crowds going up with them. People paid the price because it was worth watching. I'd like tae pay what I was paying 20 odd years ago but it aint going tae happen.

West hamBERNIAN
01-06-2013, 12:12 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Mm3lq0lBvVw/S495xcy8_6I/AAAAAAAAHDQ/btgduzcbCrk/s200/Calvin+Thumbing+nose.jpg

Get what your saying but isn't there concessions for unemployed etc? Maybe that's irrelevant when that hardly covers the bills etc but I think the majority of ppl that work can afford it, I spent more on pizza deliveries after all. Possibly controversial :offski:

The Green Goblin
01-06-2013, 12:23 AM
Isn't the payment plan that Hibs offered something which helps with this? Smaller payments spread out? Just wondering.

GoldenEagle
01-06-2013, 06:48 AM
A kids ST works out at IIRC £10 a month.

How much cheaper do people expect to pay?

Part/Time Supporter
01-06-2013, 07:01 AM
BTW, here are season ticket prices for Plymouth (League Two, which believe me is absolute garbage)

http://www.pafc.co.uk/news/article/take-your-seat-845219.aspx

2013-214 MEMBERSHIP PRICES
ADULT £349

CONCESSIONS
Over 65 £259
Under 18 £69

FAMILY TICKET £384
(1 Adult & 1 Under 18, Family Zone For All Only)
ADDITIONAL CHILD £30
(Under 18, Family For All Zone Only)

Student £259
Under 21 £259
Disabled £259
Serving Armed Forces £259

I guess that works out a bit cheaper per game for adults (4 more league games) but it is a lot more expensive for OAPs, which Hibs are actually good at compared to most.

marinello59
01-06-2013, 07:01 AM
The answer to everything is to reduce prices. And pay players whatever they want. It's all very simple really. The club had to support us. Er.............

J-C
01-06-2013, 07:05 AM
A kids ST works out at IIRC £10 a month.

How much cheaper do people expect to pay?

Actually it's a lot cheaper than that, £85 for either 18/19 home games is around £4.50 a game

lucky
01-06-2013, 07:45 AM
Football is over priced. Fans will turn out and make the effort for the big games but clearly TV, Kick off times and cost has an effect. I pay £405 for my ST and its affordable to me but reality is that Scottish football needs revamped. I would go for summer football to stop competing against the English leagues or go for a British league. If we tried to start again players earnings would drop to a more sensible level and fans would not have to pay so much. We need to do more to bring fans in through the gate. Best atmosphere this year was Killie away in the cup and our two Hampden trips. All 3 had ticketing deals and were big games but more fans went so it was a better atmosphere and more enjoyable day.

JustSimplyHibs
01-06-2013, 07:51 AM

Reduce the prices and tell the TV companies to do one!

Get the kick-offs to 1500hours on a Saturday and reduce the price to £20 for adult and a £5 for kids... if the adult brings another child along they get in for free (some adults have two bairns in tow. The prices should be universal.

Introduce limited alcohol and place(s) for smokers to go to. Get more attractive security staff to look at - just in case the football is dire.

But the real problem with Scottish Football is the product. Starting with the set-up, come-on, three associations running the football, along with the greedy owners of clubs ruining the game. Until you get rid off these guys at the top the game will continue to die both on and off the pitch - no matter what they do to entice fans along.

SlickShoes
01-06-2013, 07:57 AM
Truth is, if your happy to pay to go to the cinema and pay, what £10 a ticket for a recorded replay captured on film then you should be able to find an extra £10 to watch a live sport. Maybe I'm a bit out of touch price wise. First game I went to down here two years ago was against spurs, one nil win header from a corner. Paid £80 for a ticket in the gods but ill never forget that game. That's the difference really, things that happen in football never leave you. I'll always have memories of watching the hibs with my dad and even my grandad. Priceless. Anyway, water now! :greengrin

And where can I get in to a HIbs game for £20?

Also you can get a pass for the cinema that costs £15 a month and you can go and see as many movies as you like.

I live in Glasgow which isn't far away, but a Season ticket has no value now, too many games are moved to week nights like friday/monday that I can't get through for, so miss two games and the season ticket isn't worth the money.

If i want to go to one game, the ticket is £25 on average then it costs about £10 worth of petrol. I also have lots of great memories of seeing Hibs but I have lots of memories of paying about £35 to come through midweek and watch us get pumped 3-0 by St Johnstone.

Now that there are so many west coast teams, Killie, Celtc, Partick, ST Mirren, Murderwell, it makes more sense for me to attend away games.

I still think the prices are shocking though, the value for money is not there, relative to the standard of football on show in the SPL £25 is not good value for money.

SlickShoes
01-06-2013, 08:01 AM
Isn't the payment plan that Hibs offered something which helps with this? Smaller payments spread out? Just wondering.

The payment plan is nice and makes it more affordable but if you miss one or two games it's already more expensive than just paying at the gate to the games you can make.

Also the payment plan should exist permanently and not be an early adopters incentive, I know once the season draws closer i'd be tempted to fork out £35 a month or so for a season ticket, but when the only option left is £400 up front there is no chance i'll be buying that.

Waxy
01-06-2013, 08:09 AM
£15 and £5 i'd most likely take me wee lad along every other saturday. But it's not, so i can't. Way too expensive now.

Saorsa
01-06-2013, 08:10 AM
And where can I get in to a HIbs game for £20?

Also you can get a pass for the cinema that costs £15 a month and you can go and see as many movies as you like.

I live in Glasgow which isn't far away, but a Season ticket has no value now, too many games are moved to week nights like friday/monday that I can't get through for, so miss two games and the season ticket isn't worth the money.

If i want to go to one game, the ticket is £25 on average then it costs about £10 worth of petrol. I also have lots of great memories of seeing Hibs but I have lots of memories of paying about £35 to come through midweek and watch us get pumped 3-0 by St Johnstone.

Now that there are so many west coast teams, Killie, Celtc, Partick, ST Mirren, Murderwell, it makes more sense for me to attend away games.

I still think the prices are shocking though, the value for money is not there, relative to the standard of football on show in the SPL £25 is not good value for money.And do you think it'll get any better with less money coming in?

SlickShoes
01-06-2013, 08:17 AM
And do you think it'll get any better with less money coming in?

I'm not offering a solution, I am just stating a fact that the standard of entertainment on offer in the SPL is not worth £25. For someone that has supported a club all of their life, it's do able but if you want to entice Joe Public in as a new fan, it's not going to happen.

People have less money now than they did 3 or 4 years ago, the prices of everything are going up while peoples wages are frozen or they are losing jobs completely.

My weekly shop is £15 more expensive than it was 4 years ago and my wages are frozen still, so that £60 a month has a direct effect on how many football matches I can attend.

Mikey
01-06-2013, 08:36 AM
I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of people who want to pay lower prices also want the club to sign Griffiths and Claros. And probably Thomson too.

Reducing prices will result in even lower quality on the park and that in turn will drive attendances down.

Don't blame Hibs, blame Sky TV.

Waxy
01-06-2013, 08:40 AM
We are being ripped off. Things we need most housing rent has gone sky high. Electric gas seems to go up by 15 percent every year and we have to pay because we cant do without it. Also petrol has doubled over the last 6 years, and wages havent increased. If they squeeze us anymore we'll be in the third world.these big corporations are costing us jobs as well. The worlds gone wonky. Footballs in bad shape. Rant over.

hibIBZ
01-06-2013, 08:55 AM
I agree that prices are too high. The club sets single match prices to compare with st prices. St prices have to be what they are or the club has no money up front and then match tickets have to be adjusted to make a st value for money. The spl is suffering from having the English leagues next door with their vastly inflated wages that we are trying to keep up with

Islington Hibs
01-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Football is overpriced for all but the most committed but if you want to even have a sniff at keeping Griffiths, for example, it is hard to see how prices current can be cut, unless Sky suddenly pays out more (unlikely). However for most games Hibs have 20000 seats and 10000 spectators. I would favour perhaps offering 1000/2000 tickets or so, at non Category A games, for say £5 or £10, to people who genuinely can't afford it and are real fans. We could debate how that is judged and it is open to abuse but I would prefer to see 12000/14000 people in the ground cheering the team that 9500 who pay the full whack.

marinello59
01-06-2013, 09:30 AM
£15 and £5 i'd most likely take me wee lad along every other saturday. But it's not, so i can't. Way too expensive now.

I'd like to eat out every night bit I can't afford it so I do it occasionally. If the restaurants would reduce their prices to an unsustainable level then I would never cook again.

Waxy
01-06-2013, 09:39 AM
I'd like to eat out every night bit I can't afford it so I do it occasionally. If the restaurants would reduce their prices to an unsustainable level then I would never cook again.Even £20 and £10 would be ok. I managed these matches this year.

hibs4thecup1988
01-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Football is overpriced for all but the most committed but if you want to even have a sniff at keeping Griffiths, for example, it is hard to see how prices current can be cut, unless Sky suddenly pays out more (unlikely). However for most games Hibs have 20000 seats and 10000 spectators. I would favour perhaps offering 1000/2000 tickets or so, at non Category A games, for say £5 or £10, to people who genuinely can't afford it and are real fans. We could debate how that is judged and it is open to abuse but I would prefer to see 12000/14000 people in the ground cheering the team that 9500 who pay the full whack.

Simple way would be... Anyone on benefits or low income get match day tickets for £10. You have to go to the ticket office with whatever proof, Hibs keep this on file and that gets you sorted for the season. At the end of that current season you go back and do it again if your circumstances are the same.
HOWEVER I know I still struggle to afford my £37 a month season ticket, I have a wedding coming up, nieces and nephews being born. Costs are going through the roof, but I know I can't 'afford' to miss Easter Road on a Saturday, Sunday, Monday...(you get the drift :greengrin )

I posted another thread last week saying Hibs should cash in on whatever feel good factor was around. The extra 13,000 that was at hampden...get on the phone to them. Find out WHY they don't go to Easter Road on a weekly basis, find out what would entice them back. Price will be a high one, but also product on the park will be high too I am sure.

Just do a bit of market research to find out why. My dad used to go week in week out to Easter Road and away games. Stopped going due to working commitments...but he never received a call, a letter absolutely NOTHING to find out why. I mean that is nearly £500 a year, imagine if that was 1,000 people? £500k revenue, even if you could entice 500 back that is £250k revenue.

Just my opinion of course though. The club could be doing a LOT more.

Steve-O
01-06-2013, 10:07 AM
I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of people who want to pay lower prices also want the club to sign Griffiths and Claros. And probably Thomson too.

Reducing prices will result in even lower quality on the park and that in turn will drive attendances down.

Don't blame Hibs, blame Sky TV.

It is irrelevant who is to blame, the SPL is far too expensive for what is often a piss poor product.

Hibs, along with other SPL teams, are to blame for not accepting that Sky deal about 12 years ago because they thought they'd get more via SPL TV!

We need to stop worrying about England and their crazy money and get back to basics before Scottish football goes down the tubes. £400 for a season ticket is simply laughable.

If the supposed 'quality' of player goes down in SPL, so be it, but these young Scottish players have to start somewhere.

NAE NOOKIE
01-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Its a tough one this. For folk with a few kids to take the cost will no doubt be difficult to justify or afford. Kids want drinks & crisps & stuff and want to go to the shop too.

The kids offer of a £25 kids season ticket with an adult ST in the FF is pretty good to be fair, so long as you can afford an adult ST.

I agree fully with the folk on here who are in the SKY is destroying the game camp.

Please insert below my usual rant against SKY and UEFA.

hibs4thecup1988
01-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Its a tough one this. For folk with a few kids to take the cost will no doubt be difficult to justify or afford. Kids want drinks & crisps & stuff and want to go to the shop too.

The kids offer of a £25 kids season ticket with an adult ST in the FF is pretty good to be fair, so long as you can afford an adult ST.

I agree fully with the folk on here who are in the SKY is destroying the game camp.

Please insert below my usual rant against SKY and UEFA.

Don't need to buy an adult season ticket to get the kids for £25. Or at least I never...:confused:

NAE NOOKIE
01-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Don't need to buy an adult season ticket to get the kids for £25. Or at least I never...:confused:

I stand corrected. Thats even better then, well done Hibs.

Steve-O
01-06-2013, 10:19 AM

Aye but if the kids are very young you do!

Steve-O
01-06-2013, 10:21 AM
I think the OAP / kids / student tickets are possibly TOO cheap to be honest. Average adult is paying way over the odds to compensate for these massively reduced tickets.

hibs4thecup1988
01-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Aye but if the kids are very young you do!

NO you don't!

Just because my 2 year old nephew has a season ticket doesn't mean I need to. If I take him to 3 games it is already paid for...

I find it almost incredible that anybody under 12 doesn't have a season ticket. My 8 year old son doesn't go to all the games but he has a season ticket(Free) but even if it was £25 or even £40 I would still get him it. The value is unreal.

As for Students and OAPs being too low Steve-o no disrespect but they are on a VASTLY reduced income to me, and I don't mind them paying less.

duffers
01-06-2013, 10:33 AM
On the day, lowering ticket prices doesn't have much of an effect on attendence. However, I believe that lowering season tickets would shift a lot more and bring in more revenue than it currently does. What % of fans actually save money by getting a season ticket? I buy one as I can afford it, however, with TV moving games left, right, and centre, family holidays etc most people will miss 3-4 games a year. Any non season ticket holders, if the club put ST's for next year at £300, would you buy one?

Saorsa
01-06-2013, 12:17 PM
NO you don't!

Just because my 2 year old nephew has a season ticket doesn't mean I need to. If I take him to 3 games it is already paid for...

I find it almost incredible that anybody under 12 doesn't have a season ticket. My 8 year old son doesn't go to all the games but he has a season ticket(Free) but even if it was £25 or even £40 I would still get him it. The value is unreal.

As for Students and OAPs being too low Steve-o no disrespect but they are on a VASTLY reduced income to me, and I don't mind them paying less.That's their choice is it not? I mind them paying less if it means I'm paying mair because of it.

danhibees1875
01-06-2013, 12:23 PM
That's their choice is it not?

Students are the life-blood of Hibs. We'll be contributing for years to come and it's pivotal that Hibernian do all they can to keep us on board.

Petrie should be setting up a stall himself in Society fairs around the capital. Free tickets for all students = money back in the long term. :agree:

:wink:

Keith_M
01-06-2013, 12:27 PM
There are a few comments about some not being able to justify the cost of games on a regular basis. I think one possible solution would be to end our 'one-size-fits-all' pricing and adopt the same idea as almost every other country, graduated pricing.

If we had cheaper sections of the stadium then maybe the people that couldn't afford to pay £25/£15 could at least still afford to go. My local club, 1860 (not Bayern, spit, spit!) have prices that range from 14 to 40 Euros, with the cheapest seats at 19 Euros. I don't mind paying one of the higher prices for a decent view along the side of the pitch and I don't begrudge those paying 2/3 of that for a seat behind the goals.

Saorsa
01-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Students are the life-blood of Hibs. We'll be contributing for years to come and it's pivotal that Hibernian do all they can to keep us on board.

Petrie should be setting up a stall himself in Society fairs around the capital. Free tickets for all students = money back in the long term. :agree:

:wink:I've been contributing for years at full price (even when a student) and will be doing so for years tae come. :wink: Petrie should have a stall handing out brooms and paint brushes and making them work for their cheap tickets. :agree:

marinello59
01-06-2013, 12:29 PM

Free Pot Noodles at half time for all students. :thumbsup:

danhibees1875
01-06-2013, 12:33 PM
I've been contributing for years at full price (even when a student) and will be doing so for years tae come. :wink: Petrie should have a stall handing out brooms and paint brushes and making them work for their cheap tickets. :agree:

We work pretty much 12 hour days for the couple of weeks around exam time. :wink:

Do you know how hard it is to get out of bed after several nights out on the trot for an early kick-off. We are very dedicated fans. :agree:

Free Pot Noodles at half time for all students. :thumbsup:

A fine idea. Petrie should also consider interest free student loans to help students get to match etc, much better use of spare cash accrued from the years of DD paying full price :wink:

Keith_M
01-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Petrie should have a stall handing out brooms and paint brushes and making them work for their cheap tickets. :agree:

I second that!

:thumbsup:

Saorsa
01-06-2013, 12:41 PM
We work pretty much 12 hour days for the couple of weeks around exam time. :wink:

Do you know how hard it is to get out of bed after several nights out on the trot for an early kick-off. We are very dedicated fans. :agree:
We'll see how when you have tae go from paying 120 quid tae 405 quid :wink:

Andy74
01-06-2013, 12:47 PM
On the day, lowering ticket prices doesn't have much of an effect on attendence. However, I believe that lowering season tickets would shift a lot more and bring in more revenue than it currently does. What % of fans actually save money by getting a season ticket? I buy one as I can afford it, however, with TV moving games left, right, and centre, family holidays etc most people will miss 3-4 games a year. Any non season ticket holders, if the club put ST's for next year at £300, would you buy one?

Then you account for the fact that all the usual ST holders also pay the cheaper price and you've lost a lot of money.

It's not as easy as you think. We actually have a pretty finite market and cost differences are not a major factor that could add thousands to the gate.

blackpoolhibs
01-06-2013, 12:47 PM
There are lots of reasons why crowds are dropping, and price is a factor whether some folk like it or not. There will be a ceiling to what some folk will pay, to ignore this or brush it off as some are doing is very strange in my opinion? :confused:

Now i know the less money the club take in the less they have to pay, but i saw posts on here practically taking the pish at folk who had tickets for the final and indeed the semi, but dont make it to easter road every week.

There will be folk who earn very little who have to make decisions about either football or other things like food and clothing or even heating. The fitba these days is expensive, and Sky does not help fill grounds, in fact i'd say they do the opposite?

I don't have the answers, but football is on a slippery slope apart from the select few. Things in my opinion do not look good for the game in general, even Champions league games are not selling out now.

eastterrace
01-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Simple way would be... Anyone on benefits or low income get match day tickets for £10. You have to go to the ticket office with whatever proof, Hibs keep this on file and that gets you sorted for the season. At the end of that current season you go back and do it again if your circumstances are the same.
HOWEVER I know I still struggle to afford my £37 a month season ticket, I have a wedding coming up, nieces and nephews being born. Costs are going through the roof, but I know I can't 'afford' to miss Easter Road on a Saturday, Sunday, Monday...(you get the drift :greengrin )

I posted another thread last week saying Hibs should cash in on whatever feel good factor was around. The extra 13,000 that was at hampden...get on the phone to them. Find out WHY they don't go to Easter Road on a weekly basis, find out what would entice them back. Price will be a high one, but also product on the park will be high too I am sure.

Just do a bit of market research to find out why. My dad used to go week in week out to Easter Road and away games. Stopped going due to working commitments...but he never received a call, a letter absolutely NOTHING to find out why. I mean that is nearly £500 a year, imagine if that was 1,000 people? £500k revenue, even if you could entice 500 back that is £250k revenue.

Just my opinion of course though. The club could be doing a LOT more.

yes me and my wife had a season ticket back in the collins and moybray days but stopped going as it was becoming a grind ( went to a few of the bigger games paid at gate) but i never ever got a call asking why we stopped buying a season ticket so marketing dept not doing there job, anyway i bought a season ticket for us both for this season as the good times could be on the way back.:flag:

Mark1875
01-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Then you account for the fact that all the usual ST holders also pay the cheaper price and you've lost a lot of money.

It's not as easy as you think. We actually have a pretty finite market and cost differences are not a major factor that could add thousands to the gate.

Couldn't disagree with that more. Try the inverse logic, if Hibs were to suddenly increase the ticket prices to £30 per game do you think our gates would hold up?

We have shown over the last few years that the fan base is there. We consistently sell out our allocation of 22kish? for finals and at games where we have been given more tickets i.e Killie and Livi finals we have shown that we can take even more. The club has to ask how it can get these people to Easter Road on a regular basis. In my opinion there are 2 things that will get people turning up more. First of all, as shown during the Mowbray years, a winning team playing good football will guarantee bums on seats. Unfortunately this is one thing that you just can't guarantee. The other thing that will increase attendances is cheaper tickets.

I went to the final on a bus full of people that probably go to no more than 2 or 3 games a season, and even then the games they go to are because they have been given a freebie from either mates season tickets or someone went with easy option for b'day or xmas present. When I had stopped winding the bus load of people up about being glory hunters and asked them why they didn't go the 2 most popular answers were:

1. Can't afford to go and take the wee man, daughter etc
2. I'd rather spend the cash in the pub than pay £22 to watch 'that *****', obviously that ***** is referring to the quality on offer rather than the Hibs.

Now if you all bear with me while I do some fag packet maths, which is kind of hard to do without knowing the exact breakdown of match ticket sales on any given day. But I've started with 7k season tickets split evenly between full price and concession price at £120, and a walk up attendance of 4k split 2.5k at full price (£22) and 1.5k at concession (£12). Gives total match income on an 11k attendance at just less than £170k.

3500 full price season tickets per game = £73684
3500 £120 season tickets per game = £22105
2500 walk ups at full price (£22) = £55000
1500 walk ups at concession (£12) = £18000

total take for a game with 11000 in attendance = £168789

Now with a higher proportion of people paying full price gives

5000 full price seasons per game = £105263
2000 £120 seasons per game = £12361
3000 full price walk ups (£22) = £66000
1000 concession walk ups (£12) = £12000

total take = £195,894

Now working on an attendance of 15000, which should be easily achievable, split at 10k tickets at £15 - this is the price for all adults, students and seniors. With 5000 kids tickets at £5 each gives figures of

10000 x 15 = 150k
5000 x 5 = 25k

total take = £175k

Now this is obviously slightly higher than the first estimate and a bit short of the 2nd but I as I said at the start it's hard to do a completely accurate assessment without knowing the full breakdown of ticket sales. And likewise it's hard to make accurate predictions as to how the crowd breakdown would pan out at lower prices and it could include more people paying the £15 which would bring it closer to the 2nd figure. Add in the extra matchday revenue in the club shop and at the pie stand and it starts to make more sense financially.

One thing that I 100% believe though is that by dropping ticket prices to round about the £15 and £5 mark as has been suggested here, and leaving them at that price for a length of time our attendances would see a substantial increase and i personally believe that 15000 would be a conservative figure. The other benefit is that having a fuller stadium leads to better atmosphere which helps the team and makes the game a far more enjoyable place to be, which then leads to more people wanting to go the game.

Apologies if none of the above makes sense, maths(or english for that matter) was never my strong point and it only gets worse at this time on a Saturday.:greengrin

marinello59
01-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Couldn't disagree with that more. Try the inverse logic, if Hibs were to suddenly increase the ticket prices to £30 per game do you think our gates would hold up?

We have shown over the last few years that the fan base is there. We consistently sell out our allocation of 22kish? for finals and at games where we have been given more tickets i.e Killie and Livi finals we have shown that we can take even more. The club has to ask how it can get these people to Easter Road on a regular basis. In my opinion there are 2 things that will get people turning up more. First of all, as shown during the Mowbray years, a winning team playing good football will guarantee bums on seats. Unfortunately this is one thing that you just can't guarantee. The other thing that will increase attendances is cheaper tickets.

I went to the final on a bus full of people that probably go to no more than 2 or 3 games a season, and even then the games they go to are because they have been given a freebie from either mates season tickets or someone went with easy option for b'day or xmas present. When I had stopped winding the bus load of people up about being glory hunters and asked them why they didn't go the 2 most popular answers were:

2. I'd rather spend the cash in the pub than pay £22 to watch 'that *****', obviously that ***** is referring to the quality on offer rather than the Hibs.

Now if you all bear with me while I do some fag packet maths, which is kind of hard to do without knowing the exact breakdown of match ticket sales on any given day. But I've started with 7k season tickets split evenly between full price and concession price at £120, and a walk up attendance of 4k split 2.5k at full price (£22) and 1.5k at concession (£12). Gives total match income on an 11k attendance at just less than £170k.

total take = £195,894

Now working on an attendance of 15000, which should be easily achievable, split at 10k tickets at £15 - this is the price for all adults, students and seniors. With 5000 kids tickets at £5 each gives figures of

10000 x 15 = 150k
5000 x 5 = 25k

total take = £175k

Now this is obviously slightly higher than the first estimate and a bit short of the 2nd but I as I said at the start it's hard to do a completely accurate assessment without knowing the full breakdown of ticket sales. And likewise it's hard to make accurate predictions as to how the crowd breakdown would pan out at lower prices and it could include more people paying the £15 which would bring it closer to the 2nd figure. Add in the extra matchday revenue in the club shop and at the pie stand and it starts to make more sense financially.

One thing that I 100% believe though is that by dropping ticket prices to round about the £15 and £5 mark as has been suggested here, and leaving them at that price for a length of time our attendances would see a substantial increase and i personally believe that 15000 would be a conservative figure. The other benefit is that having a fuller stadium leads to better atmosphere which helps the team and makes the game a far more enjoyable place to be, which then leads to more people wanting to go the game.

Apologies if none of the above makes sense, maths(or english for that matter) was never my strong point and it only gets worse at this time on a Saturday.:greengrin

That's the problem with the guys running our club. They are all dumb Fitba men with no idea about simple financial matters. We should get some accountants in, at least they will realise that the answer is always lower prices. :agree:

Mark1875
01-06-2013, 07:04 PM
That's the problem with the guys running our club. They are all dumb Fitba men with no idea about simple financial matters. We should get some accountants in, at least they will realise that the answer is always lower prices. :agree:

I'm not suggesting that at all. As I said it's hard to know the in's and outs of matchday income without actually seeing the balance sheet. I would bet that the men in charge of the books would agree with the sentiments of the post though. The only problem is that it would be a gamble until the increased attendances actually materialised, if indeed they materialised at all. I believe they would, however I wear the greenest tinted specs in the world and it's also not my job on the line :wink:.

marinello59
01-06-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm not suggesting that at all. As I said it's hard to know the in's and outs of matchday income without actually seeing the balance sheet. I would bet that the men in charge of the books would agree with the sentiments of the post though. The only problem is that it would be a gamble until the increased attendances actually materialised, if indeed they materialised at all. I believe they would, however I wear the greenest tinted specs in the world and it's also not my job on the line :wink:.

Sorry, my reply wasn't the best. I may disagree with you but my response was smart arsed pish.

PatHead
01-06-2013, 07:38 PM
yes me and my wife had a season ticket back in the collins and moybray days but stopped going as it was becoming a grind ( went to a few of the bigger games paid at gate) but i never ever got a call asking why we stopped buying a season ticket so marketing dept not doing there job, anyway i bought a season ticket for us both for this season as the good times could be on the way back.:flag:

Which of the 3 people who work flat out in marketing should give up time calling people or should we spend more money we don't have employing telesales folk? Glad to see you have seen the light though.

PatHead
01-06-2013, 07:43 PM
For everyone saying drop the prices how come we never sold out the last couple of games when prices were dropped and final tickets were on offer? As Motherwell proved cutting prices too much leads to bankruptcy/admin. I don't know the solution other than charging students double.

CropleyWasGod
01-06-2013, 08:02 PM

Football is really not that price-sensitive.

I know I have said this often before, but look at what happened to Motherwell when they dropped their prices.

Hiber-nation
01-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Sorry, my reply wasn't the best. I may disagree with you but my response was smart arsed pish.

:thumbsup:

Andy74
01-06-2013, 08:06 PM

total take = £195,894

10000 x 15 = 150k
5000 x 5 = 25k

total take = £175k

Bit of a waste of time all that. Football is not that prove sensitive. Proven time and again.

Steve20
01-06-2013, 08:08 PM
It's ridiculously overpriced when you consider the crap that we watch. Prices should be lowered but they won't.

MKHIBEE
01-06-2013, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE=Part/Time Supporter;3629214]BTW, here are season ticket prices for Plymouth (League Two, which believe me is absolute garbage)

Not sure who comes of the worst,here is the pricing struture for Lincoln City for next season, bearing in mind they only escaped relegation to the Blue Square North on the last day of the season

Lincolnshire Co-operative Stand / Echo Stand

Adult

Conc.

Junior

Renewals (by 18.5.13)

£279

£179

£55

New Purchase (by 29.6.13)

£299

£199

£65

Full Price (from 1.7.13)

£335

£220

£70

Bridge McFarland Stand

Adult

Conc.

Junior

Renewals (by 18.5.13)

£245

£150

£55

£265

£170

£65

Full Price (from 1.7.13)

£290

£185

£70

--------
01-06-2013, 08:28 PM

total take = £195,894

10000 x 15 = 150k
5000 x 5 = 25k

total take = £175k

I think this makes perfect sense.

The fact is that we're expected to pay £405 a season to watch Hibs in the SPL (haud me back, PLEASE haud me back!) which is a VERY high price for a pretty shabby product, when (for example) Dusseldorfers can watch Borussia (some folks have it very hard) for £105 a season or a walk-up cost of £7.

I for one am not prepared to pay that sort of money regularly for the product on offer. And given that more and more games are being played on a Sunday afternoon, I would need to be certifiable to buy a season ticket, given my profession.

Nor does this apply only to Hibs. Scottish football seems to assume that because the customers are also fans, they can be messed about in regard to match-days and kick-off times, and screwed pitilessly for their hard-earned cash, season after season after season regardless of the "entertainment" provided.

If my son and I go to the football at ER, getting to the match and home again alone will cost us nearly £100, with the likelihood of an exciting game somewhere in the low 30-40% range (I'm being optimistic here). The catering is mediocre to say the least, and in the winter it's freaking freezing - and not much warmer in the summer-autumn-spring months either. We can, on the other hand, sit in a nice warm Cineworld watching a good film, then head to a restaurant for a meal for a lot less than that.

As far as the SPL's concerned, Bobby Williamson was absolutely right.

FranckSuzy
01-06-2013, 08:32 PM

total take = £195,894

10000 x 15 = 150k
5000 x 5 = 25k

total take = £175k

I think you make some interesting points, however :greengrin, do you happen to know what pricing structure would encourage these fairweather fans back? The point I'm trying to make is, if people have not factored a Hibs game into their budget then, IMHO, a ticket being a few quid less will not encourage them back. Some people have sadly just fallen out of love with Hibs/football in general/have more pressing things to spend their money on and only go to 'big' games, as is their prerogative. Well, until they want tickets of course :wink:. Of course any reduction in PATG prices would then have a knock-on effect on the cost of STs also....

Pete
01-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Football is really not that price-sensitive.

I know I have said this often before, but look at what happened to Motherwell when they dropped their prices.

We aren't Motherwell. I wish people would stop using them as a counter argument.

Mark1875
01-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Bit of a waste of time all that. Football is not that prove sensitive. Proven time and again.

I take it you meant price sensitive. I would disagree, as I said at the start of my long winded post -which I admit was maybe a waste of time but only put it out there to encourage debate- try the inverse, how many people would go through the gate at £30 per head? I would bet that we would lose at least some of our hardcore:cb. Which if it was true would suggest that it is price sensitive. Of course all these points are purely hypothetical as without a time machine to peer into the future nobody can accurately predict what would happen if ticket prices were raised or lowered.

As an aside I would just like to point out that over the last few days that the price debate has been going on on here, not one person has said that we are getting value for money. Which is a shame as it is the hardcore of loyal fans that get milked time and time again for all they are worth.

--------
01-06-2013, 08:37 PM
I think you make some interesting points, however :greengrin, do you happen to know what pricing structure would encourage these fairweather fans back? The point I'm trying to make is, if people have not factored a Hibs game into their budget then, IMHO, a ticket being a few quid less will not encourage them back. Some people have sadly just fallen out of love with Hibs/football in general/have more pressing things to spend their money on and only go to 'big' games, as is their prerogative. Well, until they want tickets of course :wink:. Of course any reduction in PATG prices would then have a knock-on effect on the cost of STs also....

Are you convinced that those who don't come are just fair-weather fans?

In my case I CAN'T get to a lot of the more attractive fixtures because of my work, and I can't AFFORD to go as a walk-up more than a few times a season. Football in Scotland is very expensive for what's on offer.

And as for a comment someone else made about pensioners and somehow it "being their choice", I'm going to be a pensioner in a couple of years and I'm not looking forward to it. But I have little or no choice in the matter.

Mark1875
01-06-2013, 08:37 PM
[QUOTE=Part/Time Supporter;3629214]BTW, here are season ticket prices for Plymouth (League Two, which believe me is absolute garbage)

Not sure who comes of the worst,here is the pricing struture for Lincoln City for next season, bearing in mind they only escaped relegation to the Blue Square North on the last day of the season

Adult

Conc.

Junior

Renewals (by 18.5.13)

£279

£179

£55

£299

£199

£65

Full Price (from 1.7.13)

£335

£220

£70

Bridge McFarland Stand

Adult

Conc.

Junior

Renewals (by 18.5.13)

£245

£150

£55

£265

£170

£65

Full Price (from 1.7.13)

£290

£185

£70

Here are Wigan's for season just past, most expensive area of the ground

Springfield (West) Stand
Central Areas WS5& 6
Renewals
(17 May - 24 June)
Early Bird
(17 May - 29 July)
Full Price
(From 30 July)

Adult

Senior Citizen / Concession

Young Adult U21 / Student / Junior

Ambulant Disabled

FranckSuzy
01-06-2013, 09:00 PM

In my case I CAN'T get to a lot of the more attractive fixtures because of my work, and I can't AFFORD to go as a walk-up more than a few times a season. Football in Scotland is very expensive for what's on offer.

And as for a comment someone else made about pensioners and somehow it "being their choice", I'm going to be a pensioner in a couple of years and I'm not looking forward to it. But I have little or no choice in the matter.

Apologies if it wasn't clear Doddie, I was specifically referring to those who Mark said he'd spoken to about prices. I understand that many people are unable to attend more games than at present. I was in the same position myself up until only last year-student/working on a Saturday etc. My point was re the people who say they're not going due to the current prices as Mark was trying to show how much money Hibs would still make even if prices were reduced :aok:

Oh, one good bit of becoming a pensioner is that you'll be eligible for A Seniors ticket so it will be cheaper :greengrin

YehButNoBut
01-06-2013, 09:02 PM
We should be copying the German Bundesliga, it's all about the fans in Germany, lining the pockets of the greedy is not on their agenda.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2318209/Bayern-Munich-season-tickets-low-104-putting-Premier-League-shame.html

£104 - the bargain price of a Bayern Munich season ticket... and German chief explains why it puts rip-off Premier League to shame

They're now just 90 minutes away from ending their 12-year wait for the Champions League, have already been crowned Bundesliga champions by a resounding margin and could complete the Treble when they take on Stuttgart in the German Cup final in June.And it seems Bayern Munich - by popular opinion the best team in Europe right now - can do little wrong off the pitch either.

The Bavarian giants have some of the cheapest season tickets anywhere in the world, with an adult one in the standing section at the Allianz Arena costing just £104.

By contrast, the cheapest one at Arsenal will set you back £985 and Liverpool £725. Even the least expensive in the Premier League for the 2012-2013 season - at Wigan - is £255. But while it's well-known that the Bundesliga has some of the cheapest seats in world football, it's their philosophy towards pricing that is so refreshing.

Bayern's brilliance in setting up an all-German final with Borussia Dortmund has been marked not with eulogies about their style of play, but a quote from president Uli Hoeness on looking after the fans that has gone viral on social media. In the soundbite, from last year, he says: 'We could charge more than £104. Let's say we charged £300. We'd get £2m more in income but what's £2m to us? 'In a transfer discussion you argue about that sum for five minutes. But the difference between £104 and £300 is huge for the fan. 'We do not think the fans are like cows, who you milk. Football has got to be for everybody.

'That's the biggest difference between us and England.'

Given their exciting brand of football and the regular success it brings, Bayern would have every right to charge a premium rate, yet their prices are among the lowest in the division. Unfortunately, Hoeness now has other things to worry about after suggestions of tax evasion came to light last month, but he won't budge on Bayern's pricing strategy. The most expensive for 2012-2013, in excellent seats overlooking the half-way line, come in a shade under £550 for the season.

Disabled fans, meanwhile, can watch their team all season at the Allianz Arena for just £67.

Indeed, the most expensive season ticket in the entire division comes in at £823 - and for that you get to watch Jurgen Klopp's European finalists Borussia Dortmund from the best seats in the Westfalenstadion.

Members' benefits at Bayern also outstrip those available at Premier League sides. Adults pay around £50, 18-25-year-olds £33 and concessions £25 each year. For this, they get priority when booking tickets for home and away matches, with a small discount on the ticket price, and a subscription to the matchday programme. With the ticket discount, the cost of watching the prospective European champions can be less than a tenner.

Little wonder everybody is talking about how German football got it spectacularly right. Are you watching, Premier League?

COMPARISON OF PREMIER LEAGUE AND BUNDESLIGA SEASON TICKETS All for 2012-2013 season

PREMIER LEAGUE

Arsenal £985-£1,955
Aston Villa £295-£580 (Earlybird), £325-£595 afterwards
Chelsea £595-£1,250
Everton £399-£597.60 (Earlybird), £443-£672 afterwards
Fulham £399-£597.60 (Earlybird), £499-£959
Liverpool £725-£780
Manchester City £275-£745
Manchester United £532-£950
Newcastle United £373-£717
Norwich City £547-£608
Queens Park Rangers £499-£949
Reading £375-425 (Earlybird), £525-£595
Stoke City £399-£599
Sunderland £425-£525
Swansea City £449-£499
Tottenham Hotspur £730-£1,845
West Bromwich Albion £349-£449
West Ham United £600-£850
Wigan Athletic £255-£350

BUNDESLIGA

Augsburg £274-£469
Bayer Leverkusen £133-£450
Bayern Munich £104-£540
Borussia Dortmund £303-£823
Borussia Monchengladbach £274-£511
Eintracht Frankfurt £267-£635
Fortuna Dusseldorf £212-£574
Freiburg £307-£590
Greuther Furth £258-£407
Hamburg £230-£603
Hannover £75-£278
Hoffenheim £212-£475
Mainz £155-£516
Nuremburg £200-£729
Schalke 04 £303-£735
Stuttgart £145-£607
Werder Bremen £141-£498
Wolfsburg £174-£450

http://www.thefootballramble.com/indepth/entry/from-the-bundesliga-with-love

Saorsa
01-06-2013, 09:05 PM
For everyone saying drop the prices how come we never sold out the last couple of games when prices were dropped and final tickets were on offer? As Motherwell proved cutting prices too much leads to bankruptcy/admin. I don't know the solution other than charging students double.Gets my vote. :agree:

Saorsa
01-06-2013, 09:10 PM

And as for a comment someone else made about pensioners and somehow it "being their choice", I'm going to be a pensioner in a couple of years and I'm not looking forward to it. But I have little or no choice in the matter.I think you picked that up wrong, in fact you did and I'm no sure how you thought it was aimed at OAP's when I highlighted students, maybe it's auld age. :wink: You dinnae choose tae be an OAP, that happens. The 'their choice' comment was aimed solely at students, that is a choice.

Mark1875
01-06-2013, 09:28 PM

The £15 mark does seem to be the figure that most people get to whenever it's brought up.

I don't think people have fell out of love with Hibs or football, I believe they are more disenfranchised as a result of feeling ripped off. Now of course people have spent so long away from the football on a Saturday that new habits have been formed, whether that's going to the pub, family days out etc. I can't speak for everybody out there but I would bet there are a fair few men (and women) out there that would rather go to the game with their mates rather than stay in the pub all day, or take the kids to the football rather than traipse round the zoo or take them swimming etc.

As for the last part how about a pricing structure of £15 for seasons, so £285 for a season ticket. Then £17 for walk ups at bog standard games and £20 quid for derbys and the bigot brothers. I would bet that season tickets would fly to record numbers at that price, tbh I personally would jump at one at £350. But then I'm not one of the fans that are complete stay aways anyway:greengrin

Hiber-nation
01-06-2013, 10:15 PM
The £15 mark does seem to be the figure that most people get to whenever it's brought up.

I don't think people have fell out of love with Hibs or football, I believe they are more disenfranchised as a result of feeling ripped off. Now of course people have spent so long away from the football on a Saturday that new habits have been formed, whether that's going to the pub, family days out etc. I can't speak for everybody out there but I would bet there are a fair few men (and women) out there that would rather go to the game with their mates rather than stay in the pub all day, or take the kids to the football rather than traipse round the zoo or take them swimming etc.

As for the last part how about a pricing structure of £15 for seasons, so £285 for a season ticket. Then £17 for walk ups at bog standard games and £20 quid for derbys and the bigot brothers. I would bet that season tickets would fly to record numbers at that price, tbh I personally would jump at one at £350. But then I'm not one of the fans that are complete stay aways anyway:greengrin

I think almost everything you've said on this thread is spot on. How some folk can dismiss lower pricing for Hibs games as not viable is beyond me as Hibs haven't tried it! Motherwell and Hibs are not comparable.

Jonnyboy
01-06-2013, 10:21 PM

Adult

Conc.

Junior

Renewals (by 18.5.13)

£279

£179

£55

£299

£199

£65

Full Price (from 1.7.13)

£335

£220

£70

Bridge McFarland Stand

Adult

Conc.

Junior

Renewals (by 18.5.13)

£245

£150

£55

£265

£170

£65

Full Price (from 1.7.13)

£290

£185

£70

[QUOTE=MKHIBEE;3629771]

Here are Wigan's for season just past, most expensive area of the ground

Springfield (West) Stand
Central Areas WS5& 6
Renewals
(17 May - 24 June)
Early Bird
(17 May - 29 July)
Full Price
(From 30 July)

Adult

Senior Citizen / Concession

Young Adult U21 / Student / Junior

Ambulant Disabled

So, the costs in League Two and the Championship are detailed here. League Two is a cash hungry league, like the SPL and the Championship is awash with cash.

I agree our season's could be a bit cheaper but this endless comparison with English and German clubs serves little purpose, other than to highlight the fact that fans who want to buy a season ticket have little choice but to stump up :greengrin

Edit: Just noticed the Wigan prices are for the season just ended and so EPL matches. The richest league in the world means clubs can price accordingly and I have to say having attended a fair number of middle to bottom EPL games in the last few years, their fans aint getting any better value for money than ours!

CropleyWasGod
01-06-2013, 10:23 PM
We aren't Motherwell. I wish people would stop using them as a counter argument.

Given that they are the only SPL club who experimented with sustained price-cuts, it's the only example we can use.

Steve-O
02-06-2013, 08:35 AM
NO you don't!

As for Students and OAPs being too low Steve-o no disrespect but they are on a VASTLY reduced income to me, and I don't mind them paying less.

The fact that you can take a kid to 3 games and the ticket is paid for kind of proves my point though - its TOO cheap.

I think plenty OAPs have got plenty dosh quite a lot of the time too. As for students, student tickets were higher when I was a student (from memory £150) and that was 10-14 years ago!

Not saying the tickets should not be discounted, I just think the discounts are too high and your average adult suffers by having to pay way over the odds for what is on offer.

Saorsa
02-06-2013, 09:04 AM
The fact that you can take a kid to 3 games and the ticket is paid for kind of proves my point though - its TOO cheap.

I think plenty OAPs have got plenty dosh quite a lot of the time too. As for students, student tickets were higher when I was a student (from memory £150) and that was 10-14 years ago!

Not saying the tickets should not be discounted, I just think the discounts are too high and your average adult suffers by having to pay way over the odds for what is on offer.The kids on OAP discounts I can live with. :agree:

Scouse Hibee
02-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Full ticket prices are too high but then again so is the price of a pint in some establishments yet I still pay for both! As for the concession prices I pay for my son's student ST so I am not complaining :greengrin

clerriehibs
02-06-2013, 01:14 PM

Not saying the tickets should not be discounted, I just think the discounts are too high and your average adult suffers by having to pay way over the odds for what is on offer.

It's not too cheap; these discounts for kids are an investment by Hibs on the supporters of the future.

You may know plenty OAPs with plenty money; I know plenty OAPs with bugger all.

That it's too cheap will only ever be a worthwhile discussion when ER is full to bursting every week

Mark1875
02-06-2013, 03:02 PM
It's not too cheap; these discounts for kids are an investment by Hibs on the supporters of the future.

You may know plenty OAPs with plenty money; I know plenty OAPs with bugger all.

That it's too cheap will only ever be a worthwhile discussion when ER is full to bursting every week

Regarding the last part. Does that mean those of us who think its too expensive will only have a valid argument when Easter Road is completely empty every week?

clerriehibs
02-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Regarding the last part. Does that mean those of us who think its too expensive will only have a valid argument when Easter Road is completely empty every week?

No.

marinello59
02-06-2013, 05:04 PM

Isn't the FF lower around that price? £355? Anywhere else was £385 if bought early so not that far away from the price you would jump at. :greengrin
For the upper price to fall to £285 then the concession prices would have to rise as our average ST spend is low as it is. And those who are used to paying student prices etc will not pay that much more. It ain't that simple is it?

Scouse Hibee
02-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Funny how the fair weathers never bauk at the price of a cup final ticket.

lucky
02-06-2013, 05:12 PM
OAP and kids tickets should always be as cheap as possible but clearly the student ticket is being subsidised by full paying fans. If the student ticket increased to £200 would the saving on a full ticket be than much?

Scouse Hibee
02-06-2013, 05:16 PM
OAP and kids tickets should always be as cheap as possible but clearly the student ticket is being subsidised by full paying fans. If the student ticket increased to £200 would the saving on a full ticket be than much?

The biggest problem with the student ticket is the fact that the system is being abused and many non students hold student season tickets.

whiskyhibby
02-06-2013, 05:47 PM
We should be copying the German Bundesliga, it's all about the fans in Germany, lining the pockets of the greedy is not on their agenda.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2318209/Bayern-Munich-season-tickets-low-104-putting-Premier-League-shame.html

£104 - the bargain price of a Bayern Munich season ticket... and German chief explains why it puts rip-off Premier League to shame

They're now just 90 minutes away from ending their 12-year wait for the Champions League, have already been crowned Bundesliga champions by a resounding margin and could complete the Treble when they take on Stuttgart in the German Cup final in June.And it seems Bayern Munich - by popular opinion the best team in Europe right now - can do little wrong off the pitch either.

The Bavarian giants have some of the cheapest season tickets anywhere in the world, with an adult one in the standing section at the Allianz Arena costing just £104.

By contrast, the cheapest one at Arsenal will set you back £985 and Liverpool £725. Even the least expensive in the Premier League for the 2012-2013 season - at Wigan - is £255. But while it's well-known that the Bundesliga has some of the cheapest seats in world football, it's their philosophy towards pricing that is so refreshing.

Bayern's brilliance in setting up an all-German final with Borussia Dortmund has been marked not with eulogies about their style of play, but a quote from president Uli Hoeness on looking after the fans that has gone viral on social media. In the soundbite, from last year, he says: 'We could charge more than £104. Let's say we charged £300. We'd get £2m more in income but what's £2m to us? 'In a transfer discussion you argue about that sum for five minutes. But the difference between £104 and £300 is huge for the fan. 'We do not think the fans are like cows, who you milk. Football has got to be for everybody.

'That's the biggest difference between us and England.'

Given their exciting brand of football and the regular success it brings, Bayern would have every right to charge a premium rate, yet their prices are among the lowest in the division. Unfortunately, Hoeness now has other things to worry about after suggestions of tax evasion came to light last month, but he won't budge on Bayern's pricing strategy. The most expensive for 2012-2013, in excellent seats overlooking the half-way line, come in a shade under £550 for the season.

Disabled fans, meanwhile, can watch their team all season at the Allianz Arena for just £67.

Indeed, the most expensive season ticket in the entire division comes in at £823 - and for that you get to watch Jurgen Klopp's European finalists Borussia Dortmund from the best seats in the Westfalenstadion.

Members' benefits at Bayern also outstrip those available at Premier League sides. Adults pay around £50, 18-25-year-olds £33 and concessions £25 each year. For this, they get priority when booking tickets for home and away matches, with a small discount on the ticket price, and a subscription to the matchday programme. With the ticket discount, the cost of watching the prospective European champions can be less than a tenner.

Little wonder everybody is talking about how German football got it spectacularly right. Are you watching, Premier League?

COMPARISON OF PREMIER LEAGUE AND BUNDESLIGA SEASON TICKETS All for 2012-2013 season

PREMIER LEAGUE

Arsenal £985-£1,955
Aston Villa £295-£580 (Earlybird), £325-£595 afterwards
Chelsea £595-£1,250
Everton £399-£597.60 (Earlybird), £443-£672 afterwards
Fulham £399-£597.60 (Earlybird), £499-£959
Liverpool £725-£780
Manchester City £275-£745
Manchester United £532-£950
Newcastle United £373-£717
Norwich City £547-£608
Queens Park Rangers £499-£949
Reading £375-425 (Earlybird), £525-£595
Stoke City £399-£599
Sunderland £425-£525
Swansea City £449-£499
Tottenham Hotspur £730-£1,845
West Bromwich Albion £349-£449
West Ham United £600-£850
Wigan Athletic £255-£350

BUNDESLIGA

Augsburg £274-£469
Bayer Leverkusen £133-£450
Bayern Munich £104-£540
Borussia Dortmund £303-£823
Borussia Monchengladbach £274-£511
Eintracht Frankfurt £267-£635
Fortuna Dusseldorf £212-£574
Freiburg £307-£590
Greuther Furth £258-£407
Hamburg £230-£603
Hannover £75-£278
Hoffenheim £212-£475
Mainz £155-£516
Nuremburg £200-£729
Schalke 04 £303-£735
Stuttgart £145-£607
Werder Bremen £141-£498
Wolfsburg £174-£450

http://www.thefootballramble.com/indepth/entry/from-the-bundesliga-with-love

Just shows how small a percentage of season and other ticket sales are in regards to overall income for these clubs.............if only Hibs could guarantee 7 or 8 figure sums for TV money and another 7 or 8 figure sum for non game day sales...........

Mark1875
02-06-2013, 09:18 PM
The biggest problem with the student ticket is the fact that the system is being abused and many non students hold student season tickets.

A million times this. To be honest I gave serious thought to just standing outside J&EVC and asking folk to get me a student season and I would chuck in an extra 50 quid. The fact is though that it's not just full time students or folk at high school that qualify. Anybody with a current matriculation card can get a student season ticket. This includes anybody in full time employment and doing day release at college.

My personal opinion on our prices is adults and kids are paying too much. Seniors and students are paying no-where near enough.

And to the suggestion of a season ticket in the FFL no-thankyou. I'll just continue to patg for the east whenever I can. Will be a lot less this season coming though as I'm going to have nowhere near as healthy a bank balance as I have in the past :(

Sammy7nil
02-06-2013, 09:46 PM
http://www.wsc.co.uk/wsc-daily/1015-June-2011/7330-affordable-season-ticket-offers-see-sales-boom

I think Hibs should try some variation of this scheme. The more ST's you sell the cheaper they get :greengrin

Speedy
02-06-2013, 10:28 PM

Kids and student tickets should be very cheap as we need a constant flow of new fans. The real return will come in a few years when they are paying full price. I would also have OAP tickets slightly more expensive.

I think the season tickets should be better value, I can't see myself ever getting a season ticket again if missing a game or two makes it cheaper paying at the gate. What happens as a result of that is that people decide not to bother with several games so Hibs lose out.

I'd also throw a couple of free drink vouchers into the ST package to get more people into BTG rather than local pubs.

Scouse Hibee
02-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Kids and student tickets should be very cheap as we need a constant flow of new fans. The real return will come in a few years when they are paying full price. I would also have OAP tickets slightly more expensive.

I think the season tickets should be better value, I can't see myself ever getting a season ticket again if missing a game or two makes it cheaper paying at the gate. What happens as a result of that is that people decide not to bother with several games so Hibs lose out.

I'd also throw a couple of free drink vouchers into the ST package to get more people into BTG rather than local pubs.

Unfortunately many are exploiting the student ticket so this is not the case.

Saorsa
02-06-2013, 10:36 PM

I'd also throw a couple of free drink vouchers into the ST package to get more people into BTG rather than local pubs.Don't you mean if, maybe they'll go while they're getting it cheap and then no bother. Maybe they'll no want tae pay the 405 instead of the 120 they're skiving in for now.

Speedy
02-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Unfortunately many are exploiting the student ticket so this is not the case.

True, but then that's an issue with the policing of sales more than anything else.

Don't you mean if, maybe they'll go while they're getting it cheap and then no bother. Maybe they'll no want tae pay the 405 instead of the 120 they're skiving in for now.

Some will, some won't. I'd have thought that goes without saying.

Maybe gradually increase it for renewals? Let's say to 200 in first year after graduating/turning 18, 250 in 2nd, 325 in 3rd then full price.

Edit: We do that for the juniors at my bowling club, seems to work. Rewards loyalty and prevents people quitting because of a big jump. No doubt people will still complain without looking at the bigger picture.

Saorsa
02-06-2013, 10:51 PM
True, but then that's an issue with the policing of sales more than anything else.

Some will, some won't. I'd have thought that goes without saying.

Maybe gradually increase it for renewals? Let's say to 200 in first year after graduating/turning 18, 250 in 2nd, 325 in 3rd then full price.

Edit: We do that for the juniors at my bowling club, seems to work. Rewards loyalty and prevents people quitting because of a big jump. No doubt people will still complain without looking at the bigger picture.So efter numerous years of student prices they then get 3 years of not being a student and probably working but still paying less? Dinnae want much some folk. IMO anybody 18 or over and under 65 should pay the same.

Speedy
02-06-2013, 10:53 PM
So efter numerous years of student prices they then get 3 years of not being a student and probably working but still paying less? Dinnae want much some folk.

Would you rather we had the empty seat?

Saorsa
02-06-2013, 10:54 PM
Would you rather we had the empty seat?I'd rather people paid the same as I'm asked tae pay.

Speedy
02-06-2013, 11:00 PM
I'd rather people paid the same as I'm asked tae pay.

This was the reply I expected.

I'd rather we got as much money in as we can so we can improve the team.

Saorsa
02-06-2013, 11:08 PM
This was the reply I expected.

I'd rather we got as much money in as we can so we can improve the team.I'll bet that my ticket is dearer than it need be tae cover for all these subsidised tickets, why the **** should I pay more so other people can pay less? Now you think that even when they've finished studying and are likely tae be working they should still pay less? That'll be ****in' right and if that ever started they'd be losing my season ticket.

Speedy
02-06-2013, 11:16 PM
I'll bet that my ticket is dearer than it need be tae cover for all these subsidised tickets, why the **** should I pay more so other people can pay less? Now you think that even when they've finished studying and are likely tae be working they should still pay less? That'll be ****in' right and if that ever started they'd be losing my season ticket.

You suggested students wouldn't pay full price because of the big jump in price, I suggested an idea to try and overcome that and you're moaning about it.

Stop thinking about yourself and consider the big picture.

Anyway, if we can increase revenue then there would be no need to subsidise concessions with higher adult prices.

And just in case you're wondering, I'm not a student.

Saorsa
02-06-2013, 11:20 PM
You suggested students wouldn't pay full price because of the big jump in price, I suggested an idea to try and overcome that and you're moaning about it.

Stop thinking about yourself and consider the big picture.

Anyway, if we can increase revenue then there would be no need to subsidise concessions with higher adult prices.

And just in case you're wondering, I'm not a student.you mean like the people who want cheaper tickets arenae thinking about themselves :faf:

On top of my ST last season Hibs got another 1000 quid off me, I put that in tae help so that maybe we can have a better team no so it can be squandered on making up more concession groups and letting other people in cheap.

Speedy
02-06-2013, 11:26 PM
you mean like the people who want cheaper tickets arenae thinking about themselves :faf:

On top of my ST last season Hibs got another 1000 quid off me, I put that in tae help so that maybe we can have a better team no so it can be squandered on making up more concession groups.

You are completely missing the point.

If you'd rather have empty seats than even consider ideas that may (or may not) increase revenue then fine.

Saorsa
02-06-2013, 11:32 PM

If you'd rather have empty seats than even consider ideas that may (or may not) increase revenue then fine.I'd not rather have empty seats, I'd rather people paid what they should. You think some people who are working should pay less (for 3 years) than other people who are working just because they left education? I think that's BS. Particularly when they've alread had 3,4,5 years of subsidised tickets because they made the choice tae be students.

Aaron
02-06-2013, 11:39 PM
So efter numerous years of student prices they then get 3 years of not being a student and probably working but still paying less? Dinnae want much some folk. IMO anybody 18 or over and under 65 should pay the same.

When I turned 16 back in the day I had to pay full adult price season ticket as it was 16+ only. I am due a rebate - Petrie sort it out FFS :rolleyes:

Speedy
02-06-2013, 11:40 PM
I'd not rather have empty seats, I'd rather people paid what they should. You think some people who are working should pay less (for 3 years) than other people who are working just because they left education? I think that's BS.

I think we should do whatever we can to get people along to ER, I couldn't really give a **** how we achieve that.

I offered an idea that may or may not work. You think it is BS, fine. What ideas do you have?

Speedy
02-06-2013, 11:43 PM
I'd not rather have empty seats, I'd rather people paid what they should. You think some people who are working should pay less (for 3 years) than other people who are working just because they left education? I think that's BS. Particularly when they've alread had 3,4,5 years of subsidised tickets because they made the choice tae be students.

You are missing the point. If we did that we wouldn't be doing that to do people a favour, we'd be doing it to try and generate revenue streams.

Mark1875
03-06-2013, 12:24 AM

If you'd rather have empty seats than even consider ideas that may (or may not) increase revenue then fine.

Maybe you've been too busy focusing on the game but one thing Easter Road isn't short of is empty seats. More often than not there's 10k of them, and that's with ridiculously underpriced and over abused student season ticket prices.

The student season tickets aren't a factor in filling the stadium. Yes they will contribute to season ticket sales. In my opinion though less than 10% of genuine students who take up the offer of cheap prices will renew once they have to hit full price. This isn't because of a big jump in the price. It's because of the price itself. I agree with you that season tickets should be cheaper for newly graduated students, but only because I believe they should be cheaper for everybody.

Mark1875
03-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Just had a thought about our season ticket prices.

As has been pointed out anybody paying the full adult rate of £405 is out of pocket after missing 2 games during the season. I'd bet this would cover not far of 90% of season ticket holders.

For anybody with a student or senior season ticket they are still quids in even if they were to miss 9 games during the season.

Personally I think this is a major imbalance. I would think that a season ticket should give you a saving of approx 4 games. This would mean full price seasons of £330 and student/seniors of £180 at current walk up prices of £22/£12 at 19 league games.

PatHead
03-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Notice Partick let kids under16 free, even when they are in the SPL. http://ptfc.co.uk/fans/season_tickets.

Scouse Hibee
03-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Just had a thought about our season ticket prices.

As has been pointed out anybody paying the full adult rate of £405 is out of pocket after missing 2 games during the season. I'd bet this would cover not far of 90% of season ticket holders.

For anybody with a student or senior season ticket they are still quids in even if they were to miss 9 games during the season.

Personally I think this is a major imbalance. I would think that a season ticket should give you a saving of approx 4 games. This would mean full price seasons of £330 and student/seniors of £180 at current walk up prices of £22/£12 at 19 league games.

How many peole who buy a ST and are reasonably confident of making most games think about the price per game as opposed to PATG prices? I don't even consider it to be honest even with the games I miss due to holidays. Even when I miss games I simply give my ST away, I would never charge the recipient for it either.

LancashireHibby
03-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Notice Partick let kids under16 free, even when they are in the SPL. http://ptfc.co.uk/fans/season_tickets.

"Under 16s continue to go free at home league games next season but we do anticipate that there will be some fixtures where large crowds will be anticipated and on those occasions only those that hold an under 16 season ticket will be given free admission."
I would suspect Hibs may be one of those games.

Speedy
03-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Maybe you've been too busy focusing on the game but one thing Easter Road isn't short of is empty seats. More often than not there's 10k of them, and that's with ridiculously underpriced and over abused student season ticket prices.
The student season tickets aren't a factor in filling the stadium. Yes they will contribute to season ticket sales. In my opinion though less than 10% of genuine students who take up the offer of cheap prices will renew once they have to hit full price. This isn't because of a big jump in the price. It's because of the price itself. I agree with you that season tickets should be cheaper for newly graduated students, but only because I believe they should be cheaper for everybody.

That's sort of my point. If you think about a 19 year old/recent graduate, we are better having a seat filled at £200 than an empty seat priced at £400.

People need to be encouraged to go every week if we are to sustain bigger crowds. That means better value for adult season tickets (as Mark1875 points out) but also keeping hold of younger people who can potentially provide income for 50+ years.

I'm not necessarily suggesting cheaper tickets, I'm just saying we should try whatever we can to increase our revenue in a way that is sustainable. Cheaper tickets for some/all may or may not be the way to achieve that.

Sammy7nil
03-06-2013, 11:56 AM
In the days of the multi-million pound footballer earning a weekly wage of £250,000 where can you watch League football for as little as £4.34 a game? Answer: Victoria Park, the home of League One side Hartlepool United. It's all thanks to a new ticket offer – if the club can sell 4,000 season-tickets before mid-July then adult fans will pay just £100 for the privilege, or £200 if the club sells 3,000.

Last season the average gate was just 2,933 so this is no easy task, but the response has been promising with more than 2,000 sold so far. The local paper, the Hartlepool Mail, is backing the campaign and there have been stories about Australian-based fans buying tickets despite the possibility they won't even get to see a game, while a father bought a season-ticket for his eight-day-old son. Businesses and schools have also purchased tickets to use as incentives.

Hartlepool United chief executive Russ Green said: "With the high unemployment in the area, we were obviously down on matchday ticket sales and we realised we had to do something quite radical to try and get the fans in. We put the onus on to the fans to sell the tickets and so far the reaction has been brilliant. We sold more season-tickets in the first ten days than we did all last season. We are essentially offering fans the chance to come to matches for less than £5 per game and we have slashed the prices of children's tickets, because they are the future support of this club."

Pools – who are offering child season tickets for £50 – are not the first League club to have slashed prices in this way. In 2007-08, Bradford City, who had been relegated to League Two the season before, slashed prices and sold 12,000 season-tickets. The club's average attendance rocketed from about 8,700 the previous campaign to almost 14,000. It hasn't been a flash in the pan either, as the Bantams averaged an impressive 11,127 last season. This season, the cheapest adult season ticket is £150.

A year later, Huddersfield Town slashed their adult season-tickets to just £100. The deal – to mark the club's centenary – saw 16,000 season tickets sold, almost doubling their average gate. Green sums up Hartlepool's outlook: "I think it is the way forward for clubs. Football is getting too expensive and we have got to make it more affordable for all fans."

DH1875
03-06-2013, 12:02 PM
I must be missing something here. Everyone banging on about the TV deal and how it's a factor behind the cost of our ST's :confused:. Is our TV deal no the same as everyone else in the SPL? Why are our ST's among the highest prices when we have at least double the support of most of the others and yet they can all put out better teams with better players on a fraction of the cost.
I'm not renewing, it's not worth the money. Miss one/two games at most and your ST aint worth it. Last year I missed a hell of a lot more than that because of the early morning kick-offs :grr:. The cup final adrenaline is starting to wear off. We (the fans) were great that day but lets face it, the team ain't great. If we'd lost 3-0 in the league would we all have reacted the way we did, course not. There were times last year I was sat bored to tears at ER and I questioned why do I put myself through it. What equated to roughly £45 per ticket was not a good answer.
If I went to buy a ST for the east today it would cost £405. Same ST in the East for Motherwell costs £280. They have less ST holders and fans than us yet continue to out do us in the league. WHY? Because of the TV deal, don't think so. No reason we can't reduce ST prices and as the other teams have proved, it wouldn't weeking the squad.

hibeedonald
03-06-2013, 12:02 PM
I'd not rather have empty seats, I'd rather people paid what they should. You think some people who are working should pay less (for 3 years) than other people who are working just because they left education? I think that's BS. Particularly when they've alread had 3,4,5 years of subsidised tickets because they made the choice tae be students.

As a student I would never of been able to afford 400 quid, even the normal 180 as it was least year was for students I wouldn't be able to afford without the payment plan. As soon as I finish uni and get a job I will happily pay full price. I even signed up a mate at uni who has been to two derbies (isn't really a Hibs fan) to get a season ticket as the offer was that good. If he catches "the bug" then could result in another adult season ticket holder. If people go to uni having supported Hibs during their childhood but are unable to afford a season ticket for 4 years then it's likely they will lose interest.

Lucius Apuleius
03-06-2013, 12:05 PM
How many peole who buy a ST and are reasonably confident of making most games think about the price per game as opposed to PATG prices? I don't even consider it to be honest even with the games I miss due to holidays. Even when I miss games I simply give my ST away, I would never charge the recipient for it either.

Blow me I am going to agree with a Scouser:greengrin

I would think the vast majority of people who buy a season ticket know that they will probably miss one or two games a season and do not break it down as price per match. The reasons we buy STs are many but I don't thhink value for money is likely to be one. I do think it is wrong that a student gets a discounted price to be honest. Persons over 18 should all be charged the same price. I fail to see why we are trying to especially encourage students to be supporters (do most of them not end up at the rugger anyway :wink:) over other youths who perhaps for other reasons have been unable to find a job so therefore cannot afford to go. Students are just as capable, some would argue more capable, of going out and finding part time employment to fund their social life as any other person of that age is. National ID cards is the way forward to stop all those over 16 getting in for child prices and then quite happily bragging about it. :wink:

Mark1875
03-06-2013, 12:08 PM

As some folk have posted on here over the last few days that they haven't renewed for next season due to this very reason. I'd say it was a factor.

From a personal point of view it was the main factor in me not buying a season ticket this season. When I added up the cost of attending for a season at patg prices and thought how many games I would probably miss I realised I'd be better off by more than a few quid. That was also at early bird prices. I'd rather save my money now and do what I have done for the last few years and spend the money during the season buying extra tickets for birthdays, Xmas etc and get people that don't normally go to games along.

I realise there is the argument that the money goes to hibs and we shouldn't be thinking like that. Somebody at some time has to make a stand though, otherwise prices will just go up and up. Tbh I actually could see Petrie put prices up next season in an attempt to milk the serious hardcore loyal fans to make up the shortfall left by guys like myself who refuse to pay up anymore :/

DH1875
03-06-2013, 12:09 PM
"Under 16s continue to go free at home league games next season but we do anticipate that there will be some fixtures where large crowds will be anticipated and on those occasions only those that hold an under 16 season ticket will be given free admission."
I would suspect Hibs may be one of those games.

Why? Unless it's a relegation battle at the end of the season you'll be lucky to get 6k/7k at the games. We've never filled the away stand and even before it was built they'd easily fit both sets of fans in the stand across from the main. They split it down the middle and there were still plenty empty seats in our end.

Phil MaGlass
03-06-2013, 12:13 PM

I would charge 15 quid for 2,000 adult tickets and 5 quid for kids, but fans have to come to pay and collect them directly from the Hibs shop.

Phil MaGlass
03-06-2013, 12:19 PM
I must be missing something here. Everyone banging on about the TV deal and how it's a factor behind the cost of our ST's :confused:. Is our TV deal no the same as everyone else in the SPL? Why are our ST's among the highest prices when we have at least double the support of most of the others and yet they can all put out better teams with better players on a fraction of the cost.
I'm not renewing, it's not worth the money. Miss one/two games at most and your ST aint worth it. Last year I missed a hell of a lot more than that because of the early morning kick-offs :grr:. The cup final adrenaline is starting to wear off. We (the fans) were great that day but lets face it, the team ain't great. If we'd lost 3-0 in the league would we all have reacted the way we did, course not. There were times last year I was sat bored to tears at ER and I questioned why do I put myself through it. What equated to roughly £45 per ticket was not a good answer.
If I went to buy a ST for the east today it would cost £405. Same ST in the East for Motherwell costs £280. They have less ST holders and fans than us yet continue to out do us in the league. WHY? Because of the TV deal, don't think so. No reason we can't reduce ST prices and as the other teams have proved, it wouldn't weeking the squad.

Mibbe Hibs should say "listen, if we sell 12- 14,000 ST,s, every ST will get 100 quid back,or if you buy an ST you get a free kids ST or half price tickets 8 times per year for friends"

Spudster
03-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Reduce the prices and tell the TV companies to do one!

Not one but two drastic ways to severely reduce income :faf:

LancashireHibby
03-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Why? Unless it's a relegation battle at the end of the season you'll be lucky to get 6k/7k at the games. We've never filled the away stand and even before it was built they'd easily fit both sets of fans in the stand across from the main. They split it down the middle and there were still plenty empty seats in our end.
I'd think we'd take quite a few there for the novelty of not playing them away in a while at the very least, similar to when we took 2,000+ to Hamilton the other year.

Mark1875
03-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Pools – who are offering child season tickets for £50 – are not the first League club to have slashed prices in this way. In 2007-08, Bradford City, who had been relegated to League Two the season before, slashed prices and sold 12,000 season-tickets. The club's average attendance rocketed from about 8,700 the previous campaign to almost 14,000. It hasn't been a flash in the pan either, as the Bantams averaged an impressive 11,127 last season. This season, the cheapest adult season ticket is £150.

A year later, Huddersfield Town slashed their adult season-tickets to just £100. The deal – to mark the club's centenary – saw 16,000 season tickets sold, almost doubling their average gate. Green sums up Hartlepool's outlook: "I think it is the way forward for clubs. Football is getting too expensive and we have got to make it more affordable for all fans."

Not quoted the entirety of the post, but these two paragraphs sum up my sentiments entirely. They also blow the 'football isn't price sensitive' argument completely out of the water.

DH1875
03-06-2013, 01:10 PM
I'd think we'd take quite a few there for the novelty of not playing them away in a while at the very least, similar to when we took 2,000+ to Hamilton the other year.

Aye but their stadium holds over 10k. Say we did take 2k (which I doubt) they won't have 8k fans at the game. Unless it's a massive game or we're doing really well should be plenty of free tickets for U16s. Anyone know if that's for away fans as well?

LancashireHibby
03-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Aye but their stadium holds over 10k. Say we did take 2k (which I doubt) they won't have 8k fans at the game. Unless it's a massive game or we're doing really well should be plenty of free tickets for U16s. Anyone know if that's for away fans as well?
That's what I mean, SPL rules mean that they would have to offer the same deal to away fans - a big away following would mean them missing out on quite a few quid.

Scouse Hibee
03-06-2013, 01:18 PM
As some folk have posted on here over the last few days that they haven't renewed for next season due to this very reason. I'd say it was a factor.

From a personal point of view it was the main factor in me not buying a season ticket this season. When I added up the cost of attending for a season at patg prices and thought how many games I would probably miss I realised I'd be better off by more than a few quid. That was also at early bird prices. I'd rather save my money now and do what I have done for the last few years and spend the money during the season buying extra tickets for birthdays, Xmas etc and get people that don't normally go to games along.

I realise there is the argument that the money goes to hibs and we shouldn't be thinking like that. Somebody at some time has to make a stand though, otherwise prices will just go up and up. Tbh I actually could see Petrie put prices up next season in an attempt to milk the serious hardcore loyal fans to make up the shortfall left by guys like myself who refuse to pay up anymore :/

I think you've missed my point I did say people who expect to attend most games except for their hoildays. I fully understand why someone who due to work, KO times,travel etc and would miss several games would not want to invest.

Mark1875
03-06-2013, 01:55 PM
I think you've missed my point I did say people who expect to attend most games except for their hoildays. I fully understand why someone who due to work, KO times,travel etc and would miss several games would not want to invest.

I agree with that. I think due to the nature of the tv beast these days though and uncertain ko times, the people that are absolutely certain of being able to attend every game (barring holidays) are fewer and farther between.

If seasons were priced as I suggested at closer to 330-350 quid I would bet there would be a far bigger uptake, even among those guys(like myself) that can't guarantee being there every other week.

JeMeSouviens
03-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Has anybody else moaned about the fact that 12 year olds (!) are classed by Hibs as "students"? If not, can I be first? :rolleyes: :wink:

Aaron
03-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Has anybody else moaned about the fact that 12 year olds (!) are classed by Hibs as "students"? If not, can I be first? :rolleyes: :wink:

As I said earlier on in this thread when I was 16 I was classified as a full paying adult for my ST in the FF stand. I want a rebate with all these discounts going on today :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
03-06-2013, 02:42 PM

Seems quite ridiculous to be honest child is up to 11 years only! So some children have to pay as much as some(full paying by right) adults who have fiddled a student ticket. It never used to be the case, sure there was child/future/student price brackets in the past.

Billy Whizz
03-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Seems quite ridiculous to be honest child is up to 11 years only! So some children have to pay as much as some(full paying by right) adults who have fiddled a student ticket.

Yes, and student can work to earn some money as well!'

JeMeSouviens
03-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Seems quite ridiculous to be honest child is up to 11 years only! So some children have to pay as much as some(full paying by right) adults who have fiddled a student ticket. It never used to be the case, sure there was child/future/student price brackets in the past.

It's worse than that, some parents have to pay it for them. :rolleyes:

Scouse Hibee
03-06-2013, 02:47 PM
It's worse than that, some parents have to pay it for them. :rolleyes:

Yes I know, some parents still pay for their 19 year old son's student ticket too. Maybe he'll pay for mine in the future!

--------
03-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Apologies if it wasn't clear Doddie, I was specifically referring to those who Mark said he'd spoken to about prices. I understand that many people are unable to attend more games than at present. I was in the same position myself up until only last year-student/working on a Saturday etc. My point was re the people who say they're not going due to the current prices as Mark was trying to show how much money Hibs would still make even if prices were reduced :aok:

Oh, one good bit of becoming a pensioner is that you'll be eligible for A Seniors ticket so it will be cheaper :greengrin

Aye, but the bad side is that it means that time's running out for Doddie. How will the world get on without me?

Maybe if I make a point of getting to ER as often as possible, that'll at least make the time seem to pass a lot more slowly - like Dunbar in Catch-22?

FranckSuzy
03-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Aye, but the bad side is that it means that time's running out for Doddie. How will the world get on without me?

Maybe if I make a point of getting to ER as often as possible, that'll at least make the time seem to pass a lot more slowly - like Dunbar in Catch-22?

I had to google the bit in bold as I am too young to remember it :wink: and it says 'Dunbar is "working hard at increasing his life span . . . by cultivating boredom". Roger, over and out :cb:greengrin

JohnStephens91
03-06-2013, 09:07 PM
I have just finished my university course and I made sure I was taking advantage of the great offer that Hibs have for full-time students. Because of certain circumstances surrounding my job situation next season I decided to donate £150 to Kicks for Kids meaning I have purchased two season tickets to be used by charities wanting to take children to the football. I wouldn't have been able to afford that if I had to pay full price at the gate for away matches on top of the amount for an adult season ticket.

I had to work two jobs last season, one of which was unpaid and the other was for minimum wage and that was only about 14 hours a week, never without a student discount would I have been able to afford going to the football if I had to pay an adult price. On top of that I need a bus card to travel and pay my mum money towards staying in the house and then had to buy lunch and dinner depending on the time of studying.

Saying that though the price of a student ticket could maybe go up to about £150 in the FF Lower, £170 in the Upper and £200 in the East and West as the prices just now are pretty cheap. You need to remember though that the student market is potentially large in Edinburgh with Edinburgh University, Napier University, Queen Margaret University, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh College of Art and Edinburgh College (formerly Stevenson College, Telford College and Jewel and Esk College) which means that if it is marketed well enough the club can make a pretty penny. There is also the loyalty that students will show when they graduate because of Hibs offering generous discounts which will see supporters coming back to purchase an adult ticket.

PatHead
03-06-2013, 09:08 PM

Surely it has to be as they can't charge different amounts for home and away supporters

Mark1875
04-06-2013, 12:15 AM
I have just finished my university course and I made sure I was taking advantage of the great offer that Hibs have for full-time students. Because of certain circumstances surrounding my job situation next season I decided to donate £150 to Kicks for Kids meaning I have purchased two season tickets to be used by charities wanting to take children to the football. I wouldn't have been able to afford that if I had to pay full price at the gate for away matches on top of the amount for an adult season ticket.

I had to work two jobs last season, one of which was unpaid and the other was for minimum wage and that was only about 14 hours a week, never without a student discount would I have been able to afford going to the football if I had to pay an adult price. On top of that I need a bus card to travel and pay my mum money towards staying in the house and then had to buy lunch and dinner depending on the time of studying.

Saying that though the price of a student ticket could maybe go up to about £150 in the FF Lower, £170 in the Upper and £200 in the East and West as the prices just now are pretty cheap. You need to remember though that the student market is potentially large in Edinburgh with Edinburgh University, Napier University, Queen Margaret University, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh College of Art and Edinburgh College (formerly Stevenson College, Telford College and Jewel and Esk College) which means that if it is marketed well enough the club can make a pretty penny. There is also the loyalty that students will show when they graduate because of Hibs offering generous discounts which will see supporters coming back to purchase an adult ticket.

Please tell me you are trolling:confused:

Must admit you almost had :a bite:

JohnStephens91
04-06-2013, 01:47 AM
Please tell me you are trolling:confused:

Must admit you almost had :a bite:

No, I am being serious and made a series of well rounded points ad arguments in favour of student tickets. I made cutbacks to support Hibs, I rarely drink or do anything that I can't justify spending money on which is how I afforded the football. Last season if there was no student ticket price I would not have been able to afford the football. There will be many in the same boat.

Mark1875
04-06-2013, 02:52 AM
Ok then I'll bite. Don't get me wrong I'm glad you are able to afford a season ticket. Also glad you have bought kicks for kids tickets. Well done.

Seriously though posting about having to pay for normal everyday things like a bus pass and meals. Just imagine what those of us living in the real world have to pay for. There's mortgages, loans, families to support etc. The list goes on and on. All this against the backdrop of a collapsed economy and not knowing when the next job is going to come along.

As you can probably imagine much as I would love to have my season ticket again it just ain't happening anytime soon. Certainly not at 400quid. Despite this the times that I have managed to get along to games over the last 6 years I've contributed far more in gate receipts than any student. I've also by paying my full price tickets helped subsidise your cheap tickets.

I also think you far overestimate the attraction of student season tickets as a potential draw to get extra fans converted to the cabbage. All the scottish students will already have their loyalty to a team. While the foreigners will just laugh at what we watch every other week. For example, have you ever been to Easter road with a Spaniard? I have and let me tell you I'd have had to pay him 120quid and he probably still would have told me to shove it.

And btw there are many more not just in the same boat as me, but also far worse off than me.

Rant over.

Steve-O
05-06-2013, 07:43 AM
The East should be cheaper than the West as well IMO.

Steve-O
05-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Blow me I am going to agree with a Scouser:greengrin

I would think the vast majority of people who buy a season ticket know that they will probably miss one or two games a season and do not break it down as price per match. The reasons we buy STs are many but I don't thhink value for money is likely to be one. I do think it is wrong that a student gets a discounted price to be honest. Persons over 18 should all be charged the same price. I fail to see why we are trying to especially encourage students to be supporters (do most of them not end up at the rugger anyway :wink:) over other youths who perhaps for other reasons have been unable to find a job so therefore cannot afford to go. Students are just as capable, some would argue more capable, of going out and finding part time employment to fund their social life as any other person of that age is. National ID cards is the way forward to stop all those over 16 getting in for child prices and then quite happily bragging about it. :wink:

Well I seem to recall the days when a main selling point of a season ticket WAS value for money and that's the way it should be IMO.

Surely only so far you can get with the other benefits which are:

- your own seat all year (whoopee doo)
- first priority on away tickets

And...er, that's it!

We need to get that stadium a lot fuller than it is and keeping prices at their current level ain't going to cut it.

The biggest demographic is surely still the working adult, and yet this is by a mile the highest price and its clearly putting many people off.

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2013, 08:20 AM
Well I seem to recall the days when a main selling point of a season ticket WAS value for money and that's the way it should be IMO.

Surely only so far you can get with the other benefits which are:

- your own seat all year (whoopee doo)
- first priority on away tickets

And...er, that's it!

We need to get that stadium a lot fuller than it is and keeping prices at their current level ain't going to cut it.

The biggest demographic is surely still the working adult, and yet this is by a mile the highest price and its clearly putting many people off.

I seem to remember something similar when I bought it knowing virtually every game would be on a Saturday 3pm KO. As soon as that stopped so did the link between a ST and value, hence it's not even something I consider any more. I now buy a ST knowing that that the chance of me getting to every game is zero.

marinello59
05-06-2013, 08:52 AM
The East should be cheaper than the West as well IMO.

Why? It has the same facilities/view as elsewhere and is popular as an area to enjoy the atmosphere/singing etc.

Steve-O
05-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Why? It has the same facilities/view as elsewhere and is popular as an area to enjoy the atmosphere/singing etc.

It doesn't have the same facilities as the West, which is the Main Stand. The East is simply a shell, with seats in it, nothing more. The West is basically Hibs HQ and surely costs a whole lot more to maintain than the East?

The East was traditionally the 'cheaper' area and I think it should've remained so.

Either that or make prices the same all the way round the stadium, and cheaper than they are now.

Steve-O
05-06-2013, 09:46 AM
I seem to remember something similar when I bought it knowing virtually every game would be on a Saturday 3pm KO. As soon as that stopped so did the link between a ST and value, hence it's not even something I consider any more. I now buy a ST knowing that that the chance of me getting to every game is zero.

We've had TV changing games regularly since about 1999 I'd say, season tickets still represented better value for money at that time IIRC.

marinello59
05-06-2013, 09:50 AM
It doesn't have the same facilities as the West, which is the Main Stand. The East is simply a shell, with seats in it, nothing more. The West is basically Hibs HQ and surely costs a whole lot more to maintain than the East?

The East was traditionally the 'cheaper' area and I think it should've remained so.

Either that or make prices the same all the way round the stadium, and cheaper than they are now.

It does.:confused:
In fact the concourse is a whole lot better than the one you have to squeeze in to over in the West Stand. If anywhere should be cheaper it should be the extreme wings of both East and West as well as the Famous Five.

Saorsa
05-06-2013, 09:54 AM
In fact the concourse is a whole lot better than the one you have to squeeze in to over in the West Stand. If anywhere should be cheaper it should be the extreme wings of both East and West as well as the Famous Five.They had that when the west was built with the wings being cheaper, what happened was people paid for the cheap seats the moved across in tae the expensive bit and it was done away with in favour of a middle price.

Steve-O
05-06-2013, 10:06 AM
In fact the concourse is a whole lot better than the one you have to squeeze in to over in the West Stand. If anywhere should be cheaper it should be the extreme wings of both East and West as well as the Famous Five.

For your average game facilities are the same. I am talking about all the offices / hospitality / dressing rooms and whatever else is in the West Stand.

Your last idea, fair enough too, perhaps something that should be looked at as well.

marinello59
05-06-2013, 10:49 AM
They had that when the west was built with the wings being cheaper, what happened was people paid for the cheap seats the moved across in tae the expensive bit and it was done away with in favour of a middle price.

They were probably Students too. :agree:

Saorsa
05-06-2013, 10:50 AM
They were probably Students too. :agree::agree:

marinello59
05-06-2013, 10:51 AM
For your average game facilities are the same. I am talking about all the offices / hospitality / dressing rooms and whatever else is in the West Stand.
Your last idea, fair enough too, perhaps something that should be looked at as well.

So because they are on the West side only West Standers should pay for dressing rooms etc. Seems fair. :greengrin

Peevemor
05-06-2013, 10:58 AM
You don't get the sun in your eyes in the West.

LancashireHibby
05-06-2013, 12:28 PM
You don't get the sun in your eyes in the West.
Petrie reckons the East Stand should be charged for exactly that reason - why should we be getting a free tan on the club's grounds?!

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2013, 01:12 PM
As the East already houses the majority of the ruffians, neds,headbangers,druggies,alcys,and eejits I suggest they should lower the price significantly to ensure the remainder of them move from the West and leave the rest of us in peace. Apologies to those of you who sit in the East and are not covered by the catergories I have stated..........there will be something wrong with you though!!!

marinello59
05-06-2013, 01:29 PM
As the East already houses the majority of the ruffians, neds,headbangers,druggies,alcys,and eejits I suggest they should lower the price significantly to ensure the remainder of them move from the West and leave the rest of us in peace. Apologies to those of you who sit in the East and are not covered by the catergories I have stated..........there will be something wrong with you though!!!

hibs4thecup1988
05-06-2013, 03:35 PM

English...you missed out English :faf: