PDA

View Full Version : Early announcements.

Jim44
31-05-2013, 10:38 AM
I think it's great that we are getting all these early positive announcements about signings but IMHO, we should get the bad news out of the way early as well. For example, Griffiths and Claros are at the front of everyone's mind and unfortunately the prospects of keeping them are not too good. Rather than prolonging the agony, I'm in favour of making quick decisions so we know where we stand and allow Fenlon to go about his business with a clear plan. It'll be a tragic loss if we lose them, particularly Griffiths, but we'll get over it as the team builds up towards pre-season training and matches. Let's not have to suffer late bad news just as the new season's about to kick off.

Elephant Stone
31-05-2013, 10:41 AM
I love Jorge but I think he's far from irreplaceable on our budget. Taiwo and this new chap Tudur Jones may be just fine. If we lose Leigh we'll really need to get two strikers to make up for it, IMO. I don't think we'll get another striker of his caliber any time soon.

Hibernian Verse
31-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Would you not rather they tried their best to get them over the next couple of months rather than saying it's not happened so far and give up? :confused:

GraniteCityHibs
31-05-2013, 10:43 AM
I can't see hiw we can make an announcement either way while they're still trying to do the deals.

Hibs are in no position to make announcements about players from other clubs.

blackpoolhibs
31-05-2013, 10:44 AM
I think it's great that we are getting all these early positive announcements about signings but IMHO, we should get the bad news out of the way early as well. For example, Griffiths and Claros are at the front of everyone's mind and unfortunately the prospects of keeping them are not too good. Rather than prolonging the agony, I'm in favour of making quick decisions so we know where we stand and allow Fenlon to go about his business with a clear plan. It'll be a tragic loss if we lose them, particularly Griffiths, but we'll get over it as the team builds up towards pre-season training and matches. Let's not have to suffer late bad news just as the new season's about to kick off.

Maybe the club are trying to get them signed Jim, and these things always seem to be complicated especially when they are still contracted to clubs? :confused: If we do sign them, i'd not be that bothered if it was today or the last day of the window.

Treadstone
31-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Would you not rather they tried their best to get them over the next couple of months rather than saying it's not happened so far and give up? :confused:

:agree:

Also the bargaining power dilutes a little if players know you have missed out on the primary targets.

pontius pilate
31-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Bearing in mind wolves still don't have a manager Kenny jacket will prob be unveiled next week so until then we don't know what the wolves managers take on it is. And Jorge's club wanted a lot if money for him even though he is in his last year.

bingo70
31-05-2013, 10:52 AM
The longer we leave it with the likes of Griffiths the longer we could miss out on alternatives, I agree with the op to an extent, there has to be a deadline and if nothing agreed by then we have to move on and plan for next season.

Carheenlea
31-05-2013, 11:01 AM
If the club felt that there was no chance of retaining both Griffiths and Claros, they would have said so by now. That it is a bit quiet on that front suggests that negotiations are continuing and that everything possible within our budget is being done to conclude something with one or both players. Too early to give up on it at this time. Another 3 weeks or so is when we really need to know what is happening in order to prepare for the new season.

LeighLoyal
31-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Would be sad to lose our two best players, but cest la vie.

CyberSauzee
31-05-2013, 12:29 PM

It's good to get some players in as early as possible with pre-season training starting in 3 weeks. If Griffiths and Claros sign it's a bonus, but we'll still need one more striker at least. It would be good if all clubs could get their transfers finalised by 30th August if only to stop Jim White shouting at us all day on the 31st.

Jack
31-05-2013, 01:48 PM
I just can't believe that folk on here think the club leaves everything to the last minute.

I'm sure Pat Fenlon and his backroom team will have been speaking with the board throughout the season working out whats, ifs and maybes. Plans will be in place and negotiations ongoing where they can be.

Anyone disagree?

Why would an otherwise well run club be anything other organised when it comes to retaining out of contract or chasing new players?

I think maybe this season we've seen that Pat likes to do business a lot earlier than we're used to as a support.

Jones28
31-05-2013, 02:07 PM
I'd say turn it on its head and regard no news as good news. Hibs haven't confirmed that either of them are leaving and this looks (to me at least) like they are still trying to hammer out deals to keep them.

Griffiths wants to stay and at the end of the day Wolves will say there is no point in keeping a player that doesn't want to be here. I think we have every chance of keeping Claros too, what with his family being over here and them becoming fairly settled. He's been our star in the middle of the park this season and would tough to replace.

Heedersnvolleys
31-05-2013, 02:21 PM
What I am a little more confused about is the other players like spoony, Deegan, maybury etc... When does there contracts actually run out? I would have thought today would may have been last day for these guys? So thought we would be here some thing official about them?

Heedersnvolleys
31-05-2013, 02:23 PM
What I am a little more confused about is the other players like spoony, Deegan, maybury etc... When does there contracts actually run out? I would have thought today would may have been last day for these guys? So thought we would be here some thing official about them?

Either way by the way.

Broken Gnome
31-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Kenny Jackett's the new Wolves manager - quite a few had thought Owen Coyle would want to keep Leigh if he got the job.

NorthNorfolkHFC
31-05-2013, 02:48 PM
I think Claros has been good this year but too often he is outrun by quicker guys or pushed off the ball by stronger guys. His technical ability is unquestionable though.

Unfortunately Claros and Taiwo are exactly the same, no gas or goals but good tidy uppers. We don't need two of the same kind.

All in all I wouldn't be that bothered if Jorge left. If Taiwo and Jorge were both out of contract I'd hope we kept Claros. God knows if any of them will/would have scored though!

YehButNoBut
31-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Kenny Jackett's the new Wolves manager - quite a few had thought Owen Coyle would want to keep Leigh if he got the job.

Hopefully good news for us then that Coyle hasn't got the job.

Nothing will be done with Sparky I would imagine till the new man is in place at Wolves and says who is in & not in his plans, hopefully Leigh isn't and we can secure a permanent deal for him.

monteddie
31-05-2013, 04:01 PM

I have been away from Easter road for 20 years in that time I do not believe there has been a more popular player amongst the fans since I was watching John Collins , Leigh’s goal scoring and love of all things Hibernian embellishes this, I pray every day that he will sign on for a few more seasons however for sure at some point in his career he is going to move on to bigger things I just hope he never returns in the colours of the west coast bigot brothers however if he should I hope we continue to appreciate him for what he has done for our club…….at the end of the day he is one of us!!!

DaveHFC
31-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Think the best we can hope for in the Leigh situation is for a big club (prem or champ) to come in and sign him then maybe loan him back to us for a year. Would keep Leigh happy and aid his development for the new parent club.

poolman
31-05-2013, 05:20 PM

Fek,it's not even June yet

Hang about