PDA

View Full Version : NHC Northwich Boss banned for 10 games

DaveF
30-05-2013, 10:08 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22707465

For abuse directed at the female coach of the opposition team.

I wonder if he would have been handed a similar ban if it was a bloke he abused? Clearly his rant at a bloke would have to change somewhat but if was giving it tight to a male coach about his tactics, baldness, small ***** or whatever, would that be met with the same punishment?

DaveF
30-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Maybe not, but insulting another man about tactics or baldness isn't the same as the level of abuse and discrimination here. I'm glad they are making an example of him, and they are perfectly within their rights to do so.

"Earlier this month, the FA introduced stronger sanctions (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22547598) to deal with cases of discrimination.
Charges will be brought in the event of discrimination on the field of play relating to ethnic origin, colour, race, religion or belief, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, ability and disability."

But they mention ability in that list. So surely it matters not whether male or female is the recipient, if you launch abuse at a fellow coach \ player calling them, this, that and the next thing you can be up for a massive ban on the scale this guy got?

I'm not really trying to defend him. Just think he's being singled out and given a punishment on the scale of the Suarez bite for losing the plot at a game. Something managers the length and breadth of the country do evey week.

mmmmhibby
30-05-2013, 10:44 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22707465

For abuse directed at the female coach of the opposition team.

I wonder if he would have been handed a similar ban if it was a bloke he abused? Clearly his rant at a bloke would have to change somewhat but if was giving it tight to a male coach about his tactics, baldness, small ***** or whatever, would that be met with the same punishment?

another example of political correctness.

blackpoolhibs
30-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Female coach??????? :lips seal

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Female coach??????? :lips seal

Reminds me of a discussion the 4 of us had in Tamsons on Sunday night.

CyberSauzee
30-05-2013, 11:03 AM
They should ring Peter Hetherston and ask for his views...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2003/nov/11/gender.football

It's not unusual for football managers to blame the referee after a defeat, but it isn't often they insist a match official should be at home making tea for the man of the house.
Peter Hetherston, the manager of Scottish Third Division Albion Rovers, declared lineswoman Morag Pirie solely responsible for his side's 1-0 defeat by Montrose at the weekend - because she is a woman.

"I knew it wasn't going to be our day when... I found that we had a woman running the line," Hetherston told the Scottish Sun. "She should be at home making the tea or the dinner for her man who comes in after he has been to the football. This is a professional man's game. I believe that she shouldn't be here."

Hetherston implied that Pirie, who has been a referee for six years, did not understand the offside rule. "Every time the ball went forward in the first half she had the flag raised for offside," he said.

Albion Rovers tried to play down the row yesterday by describing the remarks as "light hearted". But Hetherston stood his ground. He told BBC Scotland that it was only his comment about cooking that was meant as a joke. The rest, apparently, was serious.

mmmmhibby
30-05-2013, 11:26 AM
I have to admit, I don't really know what they mean here by "ability." But for me, a manager shouting something like "you're clueless!" with regard to tactics or whatever is a whole different matter than abusing somebody because of their gender, sexuality, religion, race etc. But you're right - bottom line is managers shouldn't be directing abuse at anyone, regardless of gender.

No, it's an example of sexism, something the FA and UEFA are trying hard to get out of football. Would it have been political correctness if he'd been banned for racist comments?

He's been made an example of and rightly so. Maybe it will make others think twice about doing the same thing.

Am standing by what I say. And say its another example of political correctness in todays society. If it was a woman shouting at a man then clearly this would've been looked upon differently!!! It wouldn't have even made the news!!!!!!

marinello59
30-05-2013, 11:42 AM
He had been banned before for abuse. Presumably directed at men. Without knowing exactly what was shouted its hard to say whether or not he went too far but if it was abuse specifically concentrating on her gender then he got what he deserved. Forget dismissing it as 'politically correct' , when was the boorish bullying of a woman by a man ever acceptable?

Sergio sledge
30-05-2013, 11:47 AM
But they mention ability in that list. So surely it matters not whether male or female is the recipient, if you launch abuse at a fellow coach \ player calling them, this, that and the next thing you can be up for a massive ban on the scale this guy got?

I'm not really trying to defend him. Just think he's being singled out and given a punishment on the scale of the Suarez bite for losing the plot at a game. Something managers the length and breadth of the country do evey week.

Do you know what he said? I guess we can't judge whether it was a proportionate punishment unless we know what was said. The very fact players on the bench suggested she report it would suggest it must have been pretty bad. His previous for the same offence was surely taken into account too. He's not learning.

The manager of the club sets the example for all other members of staff to follow, players and coaches, if he is allowed to get away with abuse on a large scale then his team and staff will expect to get away with it too.

allezsauzee
30-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Maybe not, but insulting another man about tactics or baldness isn't the same as the level of abuse and discrimination here. I'm glad they are making an example of him, and they are perfectly within their rights to do so.

"Earlier this month, the FA introduced stronger sanctions (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22547598) to deal with cases of discrimination.
Charges will be brought in the event of discrimination on the field of play relating to ethnic origin, colour, race, religion or belief, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, ability and disability."

Surely if a chap is unable to grow hair on his head, then it should be considered a disability.

CropleyWasGod
30-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Am standing by what I say. And say its another example of political correctness in todays society. If it was a woman shouting at a man then clearly this would've been looked upon differently!!! It wouldn't have even made the news!!!!!!

As ever, the words "political correctness" are used as a criticism. Whenever I see these words, I substitute them with the word "respect"... because that's what it's about.

So... this is (in your terms) "another example of RESPECT in today's society". Good.

As for "if it was a woman shouting at a man"..... nonsense. If the female coach had abused the man by telling to stick his effing cock up his effing hole, for example, then it WOULD have been jumped on.

DaveF
30-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Do you know what he said? I guess we can't judge whether it was a proportionate punishment unless we know what was said. The very fact players on the bench suggested she report it would suggest it must have been pretty bad. His previous for the same offence was surely taken into account too. He's not learning.

The manager of the club sets the example for all other members of staff to follow, players and coaches, if he is allowed to get away with abuse on a large scale then his team and staff will expect to get away with it too.

Nope, no idea. Simply throwing something out onto the forum for discussion :greengrin

Geo_1875
30-05-2013, 02:38 PM

Surely as a coach he should not have been on the field of play. And isn't that list a bit of a catch all? So to get his point across without being accused of discrimination a coach can't say you're *****, he must say you're all *****.:confused:

basehibby
30-05-2013, 03:55 PM
another example of political correctness.

Not going by this quote from the abusee....
"I have worked in different levels of men's non-league football for over 10 years and I have never even had anything you could call sexist abuse, let alone abuse to this level," 30-year-old Dingley told BBC Sport

That sounds like a perfectly reasoned observation from someone who has been on the receiving end of OTT abuse from what sounds like a complete ershole who has great trouble controlling his mouth (he has previous having received an outright 3 month ban from football for abusing match officials - not the result of a few throwaway F'in Bs and Cs I'll wager).

I agree that women in the game should not get special treatment, but it seems unfair to jump to that conclusion in this instance.

Hibs Class
30-05-2013, 04:17 PM

In the majority of workplaces he would have been sacked for this behaviour. IMO he's got off lightly.