PDA

View Full Version : The Leigh Griffiths Mega Thread (latest: new contract signed with Wolves)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Alex Trager
30-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Leigh has just tweeted saying 'I'm back'. Not overly sure what that means like but it could be a good thing for us!

MyJo
30-05-2013, 08:55 AM
:hyper:

#FromTheCapital
30-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Back on twitter, he's been off for a while

JimBHibees
30-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Probably just been out for some milk and a paper. :greengrin

Peevemor
30-05-2013, 08:57 AM
... from the maternity ward?

Sean1875
30-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Back on twitter, he's been off for a while

This. Nothing to get excited about im afraid.

MyJo
30-05-2013, 09:00 AM
... from the maternity ward?

More likely "to" the maternity ward

HIBERNIAN-0762
30-05-2013, 09:00 AM
I think he means back on twitter.

Seeing as his loan period is up and he's no longer a Hibs player, he's probably using it again as it was the club who had banned him for using it.

:boo hoo:

YehButNoBut
30-05-2013, 09:11 AM
AdamBurnett™ ‏@AdamBurnett2 Griffiths has been let loose on twitter, good tactics to stay at hibs!
Retweeted by Sir Rod (https://twitter.com/Sir_RodPetrie) :agree:

YehButNoBut
30-05-2013, 09:17 AM
HIBERNIAN FANS ‏@HIBERNIAN_1875 Our aim today is to get to 100 followers please rt it and make it happen #GGTTH (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GGTTH&src=hash)

Sir David Gray
30-05-2013, 09:44 AM

Seeing as his loan period is up and he's no longer a Hibs player, he's probably using it again as it was the club who had banned him for using it.

:agree: Could even be a bad thing as it could suggest that he's not returning any time soon.

Or else he's just going to have to come back off it as soon as he comes back to us!

Ozyhibby
30-05-2013, 09:46 AM
He's also retweeting a lot of Celtic fans. Ominous sign?

Peevemor
30-05-2013, 09:48 AM

Maybe it was Wolves that banned him, and he's no longer a Wolves player? :pray:

TamHibs
30-05-2013, 11:23 AM

Nah he retweets Jumbos too

JimBHibees
30-05-2013, 11:44 AM

Some Celtc supporting cab driver seemed to be indicating it was a done deal for Griffiths to them, not the best source in the world right enough. :greengrin He also seemed to be clapping them quite a lot at the end of the final.

MB62
30-05-2013, 11:47 AM
As for Leigh's future, he holds as many aces as his club Wolves do, it all depends on how much he really wants to stay at Hibernian.
As an example, possible discussions could go along these lines

Wolves - Right Leigh, we have just accepted a £1m offer from celtc so pack your bags, you're heading to the Weeg,

Leigh - Nah, don't fancy that, I want to sign for Hibs.

Wolves - aye right, they're only offering £250,000 so they've no chance, we want the £1m

Leigh - couldn't care less what you want, I want to sign for Hibs, either accept Hibs offer or you're not getting a penny from ANYBODY and I'll just hang around here for a year and sign a pre-contract with Hibs in 6 months.

(figures mentioned are purely pulled out of the air from me and are only an example of what could happen) :greengrin

It might be hard for the laddie to turn down a big salary deal from somebody of course, but as I said, it all depends on how desperate he is to sign for us and also be close to his family and friends, which sometimes talks louder than money.

JimBHibees
30-05-2013, 11:50 AM
As for Leigh's future, he holds as many aces as his club Wolves do, it all depends on how much he really wants to stay at Hibernian.
As an example, possible discussions could go along these lines

Wolves - Right Leigh, we have just accepted a £1m offer from celtc so pack your bags, you're heading to the Weeg,

Leigh - Nah, don't fancy that, I want to sign for Hibs.

Wolves - aye right, they're only offering £250,000 so they've no chance, we want the £1m

Leigh - couldn't care less what you want, I want to sign for Hibs, either accept Hibs offer or you're not getting a penny from ANYBODY and I'll just hang around here for a year and sign a pre-contract with Hibs in 6 months.

(figures mentioned are purely pulled out of the air from me and are only an example of what could happen) :greengrin

It might be hard for the laddie to turn down a big salary deal from somebody of course, but as I said, it all depends on how desperate he is to sign for us and also be close to his family and friends, which sometimes talks louder than money.

I am pretty sure he would still be close to his friends and family if he moved to Celtc and with more cash.

hibbysam
30-05-2013, 12:10 PM
I am pretty sure he would still be close to his friends and family if he moved to Celtc and with more cash.

Not at all.. You pretty much have to live a totally different life when you play for them!

One thing with Leigh is the fact that he does not play for the money, his heart is at Hibs and unlike others, you can tell no matter the money on offer that he wants to be here!

Gus Fring
30-05-2013, 12:11 PM
I'd like to think Leigh thinks too highly of Hibs to sign for Celtic but I've been bitten on the bum by that train of thought too many times before.

MB62
30-05-2013, 12:26 PM

I did only use the 'dodgers' as an example of course and the same arguement could be had regardless of the club that was interested. I am merely trying to point out that, despite them taking up the year option on his contract, if it is so they can get a transfer fee out of him then Leigh also has a big say in this as he cannot be forced in to a move he doesn't want.
Probably grasping at straws here though in my desperate hope he returns to us.

Sir David Gray
30-05-2013, 12:46 PM
I'd like to think Leigh thinks too highly of Hibs to sign for Celtic but I've been bitten on the bum by that train of thought too many times before.

:agree: I won't be too confident of him signing a permanent deal with us until I see him pictured with Fenlon at Easter Road and the club announcing it officially.

I know he's publicly said on more than one occasion that he would like to sign for us and doesn't want to leave but there's a lot of other factors involved.

silverhibee
30-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Not at all.. You pretty much have to live a totally different life when you play for them!

One thing with Leigh is the fact that he does not play for the money, his heart is at Hibs and unlike others, you can tell no matter the money on offer that he wants to be here!

In what way.?

NOLA
30-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Must be back from the bookies, never off the puggies ;)

SMAXXA
30-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Must be back from the bookies, never off the puggies ;)

Must win a fortune if he can go to the bookies in Krakow for you to see him :greengrin

hibbysam
30-05-2013, 02:17 PM
In what way.?

He currently trains half the day, then hops on the bus, goes visits his kids, hits the bookies and home.

He goes to Glasgow, he suddenly can't get a bus to see his kids, hes the other end of the country and once his training is done there isn't a lot of time to jump on two trains or a bus across the country! I'd imagine the training regime at Celtic is a lot stricter and they'd be in the training centre a lot longer than 12/1pm.. Leigh loves how he can just finish training and spend the rest of the day with his kids.. Move to Glasgow and that then becomes a bit different!

edinburghhibee
30-05-2013, 02:28 PM
He currently trains half the day, then hops on the bus, goes visits his kids, hits the bookies and home.

He goes to Glasgow, he suddenly can't get a bus to see his kids, hes the other end of the country and once his training is done there isn't a lot of time to jump on two trains or a bus across the country! I'd imagine the training regime at Celtic is a lot stricter and they'd be in the training centre a lot longer than 12/1pm.. Leigh loves how he can just finish training and spend the rest of the day with his kids.. Move to Glasgow and that then becomes a bit different!

Do hibs make their players stay in hotels before games? I know Celtic players stay at the Dekota at euro central before their games.

silverhibee
30-05-2013, 03:24 PM

He said in the Sun the other day there that his mate Paul drives him everywhere and is his personnel chauffeur and he looks after him for doing it, pretty sure most clubs finish there training round about the same time which is normally around 2 o'clock and get away about that time, i see Broonie plenty times through the day so don't think they do longer training sessions than any other clubs out there, maybe he could cut out the bookies and do his betting on line while being driven about seeing his kids :greengrin it's only about 30 minutes to get back to Edinburgh from Lennoxtown in the car, it's hardly the other side of the country.

Just out of curiosity why doesn't he just sit his driving test. :confused:

The only difference i can think of is that they stay in a hotel before games but they are allowed to go home after training and then be back at the hotel for a certain time at night time.

silverhibee
30-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Do hibs make their players stay in hotels before games? I know Celtic players stay at the Dekota at euro central before their games.

No.

Unless away to Inverness Ross County or Aberdeen.

edinburghhibee
30-05-2013, 04:15 PM
No.

Thought that but didn't want to state it as fact.

MSK
30-05-2013, 05:38 PM
He said in the Sun the other day there that his mate Paul drives him everywhere and is his personnel chauffeur and he looks after him for doing it, pretty sure most clubs finish there training round about the same time which is normally around 2 o'clock and get away about that time, i see Broonie plenty times through the day so don't think they do longer training sessions than any other clubs out there, maybe he could cut out the bookies and do his betting on line while being driven about seeing his kids :greengrin it's only about 30 minutes to get back to Edinburgh from Lennoxtown in the car, it's hardly the other side of the country.

Just out of curiosity why doesn't he just sit his driving test. :confused:

The only difference i can think of is that they stay in a hotel before games but they are allowed to go home after training and then be back at the hotel for a certain time at night time.Saw Leigh wi "pitch" rage ...dinnae fancy his chances much behind the wheel o a car ..:greengrin

Swedish hibee
30-05-2013, 08:32 PM
I've pretty much accepted he's not coming back, but still live in hope however I'd be truly gutted if he ends up at Celtic.

hibs4thecup1988
30-05-2013, 08:34 PM
No.

Has this changed under PF?

I remember we travelled up on the morning of these games previously...

silverhibee
30-05-2013, 10:24 PM

Think it depends on what time the kick-off is, 3 o'clock and they may travel up on the bus but a 12 o'clock kick-off and i a pretty sure they will stay in a hotel the night before. :aok:

Jones28
30-05-2013, 11:47 PM

I remember Mowbray saying the travelled up the day of the game usually. However a 6 hour drive to ict/Ross county isn't what you'd want for your players before a game I imagine.

the stig
31-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Kenny jackett
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22731377

Hopefully this could speed up any griffiths transfer. :aok:

greenpaper55
31-05-2013, 03:16 PM
With a name like that his coat will be on a shoogly peg :greengrin

YehButNoBut
31-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Hopefully he wants to stamp his own mark on the team and see's no place for a trouble making CF :wink: scoring in a diddy league north of the border & get's rid of him sharpish to the club he desperately wants to sign for. :pray:

http://www.football.co.uk/wolverhampton_wanderers/jackett_fits_for_wolves_rss4237851.shtml

hfc rd
31-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Did he not enquire about Griffiths last January or was that Neil Warnock?

blackpoolhibs
31-05-2013, 03:44 PM
With a name like that his coat will be on a shoogly peg :greengrin

I played for a team in Hertfordshire in the 80s early 90s, and we were drawn against Watford in the county cup. They always played a mixture of their under 21s and some reserve players in this competition.

Kenny Jacket was the manager of their under 21s or youth team, i cant remember which and manager of the team that night.

Anyway my boy was manning one of the turnstiles and Jacket came up to him and and told him i'm Kenny Jacket, to which my boy said that will be £4 please. :greengrin

My lad had no idea who Kenny Jacket was, and made him pay to get into the ground to manage his team.:faf:

We had a laugh about it in the bar afterwards, and my son does know who he is now. :greengrin

Devilstorment
31-05-2013, 03:51 PM
I played for a team in Hertfordshire in the 80s early 90s, and we were drawn against Watford in the county cup. They always played a mixture of their under 21s and some reserve players in this competition.

Kenny Jacket was the manager of their under 21s or youth team, i cant remember which and manager of the team that night.

Anyway my boy was manning one of the turnstiles and Jacket came up to him and and told him i'm Kenny Jacket, to which my boy said that will be £4 please. :greengrin

My lad had no idea who Kenny Jacket was, and made him pay to get into the ground to manage his team.:faf:

We had a laugh about it in the bar afterwards, and my son does know who he is now. :greengrin

... Other than the Wolves manager I have no idea who he is either!!

SaulGoodman
31-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Glad it's not Coyle :agree:

Vault Boy
31-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Hopefully it will allow us to get a deal for Griffiths sorted out.

I have to add that I think the man is an absolute trumpet but hopefully his footballing 'philosophy' will help us with Griffiths. I don't think he had a striker under 6ft at Millwall, so that's a start. :greengrin

Hopefully he sees Sparky as not physically suited for his team or the league. :pray:

pontius pilate
31-05-2013, 04:40 PM
I've banged on about this for over a week now. When others said it would be coyle I said it would be jackett. I've also heard Blackpool have tabled a £400,000 bid for sparky.

Devilstorment
31-05-2013, 04:44 PM
I've banged on about this for over a week now. When others said it would be coyle I said it would be jackett. I've also heard Blackpool have tabled a £400,000 bid for sparky.

.... gulp!

pontius pilate
31-05-2013, 05:36 PM
I know wolves played a blinder by renewing his contract. There was no way they were going to let him walk away for nothing. We never had the funds and its the same old story with Hibs though there is never any money nowadays. I heard that calderwood cost the club approx £5m

Treadstone
31-05-2013, 05:39 PM
I know wolves played a blinder by renewing his contract. There was no way they were going to let him walk away for nothing. We never had the funds and its the same old story with Hibs though there is never any money nowadays. I heard that calderwood cost the club approx £5m

£5m

:faf:

pontius pilate
31-05-2013, 05:43 PM
How much was his pay off and how much did he spend on players that were useless but still cost us money in wages because of their contracts. Not a dig genuinely asking

Treadstone
31-05-2013, 05:45 PM
How much was his pay off and how much did he spend on players that were useless but still cost us money in wages because of their contracts. Not a dig genuinely asking

You came up with the figure. I'd be interested to hear your breakdown.

1two
31-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Dear mr jackett, that boy Leigh Griffiths Is ***** and a trouble maker.
Send him back to scotland, we know how to deal with him
Regards,
Mr Petrie

MWHIBBIES
31-05-2013, 05:47 PM
How much was his pay off and how much did he spend on players that were useless but still cost us money in wages because of their contracts. Not a dig genuinely askingProbably less than a 10th of that.

pontius pilate
31-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Cool as I said it was a rumour from a fellow hibby obv somebody who is ***** at maths.
I couldn't possibly say what it was as I'm not privy to what the players earn.

Mister P
31-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Cool as I said it was a rumour from a fellow hibby obv somebody who is ***** at maths.
I couldn't possibly say what it was as I'm not privy to what the players earn.
I asked this today to someone who should have a bit of insight. I asked "without divulging too much, roughly what would the highest earners at ER be in per week?"
To which I as told "around £2.5k- £3k per week. There might be a couple on around £3.5k but just a couple"

No idea how accurate this info might be but I have no reason to doubt it.:dunno:

pontius pilate
31-05-2013, 06:16 PM
So if we say players like Osborne O'Hanlon agogo and the other duds probably another 3 on £2,000 p.w then calderwoods severance pay. Maybe not as much as the £5m mark that I was quoted but its still a lot of money that we are still paying the price for now. It obviously has a knock on effect for paddy to strengthen the team to what we would like it to be. Alone 6 duds have cost us approx £144k per year.

Treadstone
31-05-2013, 06:23 PM
So if we say players like Osborne O'Hanlon agogo and the other duds probably another 3 on £2,000 p.w then calderwoods severance pay. Maybe not as much as the £5m mark that I was quoted but its still a lot of money that we are still paying the price for now. It obviously has a knock on effect for paddy to strengthen the team to what we would like it to be. Alone 6 duds have cost us approx £144k per year.

Of course it does. As does PFs poor acquistions and any manager who makes a poor signing (everyone who has ever managed). Please don't take my original post replying to your figure of £5m as a defence of Calderwood as thats the last thing i intended to portray.:thumbsup:

pontius pilate
31-05-2013, 06:27 PM
God no I don't think anybody could defend the indefensible. I should add that we were also at fault for not getting rid off him when we had the chance and made a bit of cash

Treadstone
31-05-2013, 06:32 PM
God no I don't think anybody could defend the indefensible. I should add that we were also at fault for not getting rid off him when we had the chance and made a bit of cash

:agree:

Eyrie
31-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Think it depends on what time the kick-off is, 3 o'clock and they may travel up on the bus but a 12 o'clock kick-off and i a pretty sure they will stay in a hotel the night before. :aok:

Travelling up on the day, even for a 3pm kick off, has to be a factor in our poor record up there.

patch1875
31-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Think Kenny suits the club he's not buttoned up the back;-) .......I'll get my coat.

WestEndHibee
01-06-2013, 08:12 AM

:agree: It's true about Celtic. Our Deek got homesick across the m8.

Heisenberg
01-06-2013, 08:30 AM
I've also given up on the hope of Leigh singing for us. Just don't think we can afford a deal for him. Would be truly gutted if he signed for the second to wear the green.

Hibs90
01-06-2013, 03:17 PM
I've been told by a mate that knows him (yes I realise this is probably pish but who knows) that Wolves have told Hibs they want 500k and sell on clause for Griffiths. If true I find that outrageous to be honest...

CallumLaidlaw
01-06-2013, 03:22 PM
I want to agree but dunno if I do. Johnny Russell is being valued at more than £1m and Gary Hooper with 1 year of His contract left is being valued around £6m.

Benny Brazil
01-06-2013, 03:22 PM
I've been told by a mate that knows him (yes I realise this is probably pish but who knows) that Wolves have told Hibs they want 500k and sell on clause for Griffiths. If true I find that outrageous to be honest...

Do you?
£500k for a guy who has just scored 28 goals in one season, won numerous awards and gained an International cap - think thats a pretty good valuation tbh

scoopyboy
01-06-2013, 03:23 PM

Is your mate a private member on here?

HH81
01-06-2013, 03:23 PM
As good as he is I wouldn't pay that for him.

Hibs90
01-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Do you?
£500k for a guy who has just scored 28 goals in one season, won numerous awards and gained an International cap - think thats a pretty good valuation tbh

I actually rate him higher but he only has 1 year on his contract....

I your mate a private member on here?

Doubt it, he's a yam :greengrin

truehibernian
01-06-2013, 03:24 PM

Dundee Utd have rejected 4 offers for Russell who is nowhere near as gifted as Leigh in my opinion - if reports are to be believed then Thompson has rejected an offer near £700,000.

I'd say half a million for Leigh, in today's market, is a steal. Jeez, Conor Sammon, who came on v England for Eire this week, was sold for the same amount to Wigan from Killie. Leigh is a very very talented boy who can only get better - Fenlon though seems to get the best from him. Maybe due to them both having similar temperaments.

For me it's an investment worth making.

Jim44
01-06-2013, 03:25 PM
As good as he is I wouldn't pay that for him.

I would, as long as the sell-on clause wasn't too greedy.

scoopyboy
01-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Doubt it, he's a yam :greengrin

Fair enough, reason I asked is that it was posted on PM site earlier.

Hibs90
01-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Fair enough, reason I asked is that it was posted on PM site earlier.

Hmmm...plot thickens.

Probably garbage though.

lord bunberry
01-06-2013, 03:34 PM
There's no chance we will pay that sort of money, we just don't have it. Our only chance now is if the tache can work his magic, just because wolves want 500k it doesn't mean they will get it

stoneyburn hibs
01-06-2013, 03:35 PM

Don't see why you would be outraged at that figure

Keith_M
01-06-2013, 03:43 PM

I don't see how.

Half a mill for a player that just scored 28 goals in a mediocre team and was voted Scottish player of the year, sounds reasonable to me.

If it is true, that's us out. Petrie doesn't do transfer fees any more.

Islington Hibs
01-06-2013, 03:54 PM
It seems sensible for Hibs to live within their means- just look at the cheating of Hearts and Rangers but this is a time to invest if the £500k number is correct. His progress last season was immense, he clearly supports the club and wants to play for us, with Rangers playing at Alloa, Hearts near bust and many others financially struggling 2nd spot is up for grabs. With Leigh I think we would have a real chance of 2nd or 3rd next season. Further if we paid that, signed him for 3 years with a promise we would sell to an English club (ie not Celtic or Rangers) for a decent offer after 18 months I think we could turn in a great profit. Normally I would say no, but this is a time to invest in a proven player for us with a real chance of more than doubling our money.

chrisski33
01-06-2013, 04:09 PM
500k is nothing for lg petrie would quite happily sell him on for at least twice that! If Petrie has ambition he should sign lg for 500k no matter what as we need a goalscorer and lg has proved that he is. If petrie doesnt sign him for that amount he shud step down!

marinello59
01-06-2013, 04:11 PM
500k is nothing for lg petrie would quite happily sell him on for at least twice that! If Petrie has ambition he should sign lg for 500k no matter what as we need a goalscorer and lg has proved that he is. If petrie doesnt sign him for that amount he shud step down!

Indeed. And he should reduce season ticket prices by half.

Andy74
01-06-2013, 04:14 PM

Eh naw. Over 3 times what they paid for him. They've never played him. He doesn't want to play for them and can leave in a year. £500k would be outrageous.

LeighLoyal
01-06-2013, 04:17 PM
An outside chance Petrie might agree to paying them back over two years. I can't see him fronting £500k, no chance.

blackpoolhibs
01-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Eh naw. Over 3 times what they paid for him. They've never played him. He doesn't want to play for them and can leave in a year. £500k would be outrageous.

If he does not want to sign for the team that makes the offer, then they can ask all they want, but that figure wont frighten some clubs. I'd imagine it would frighten the hell out of Rod, but he has proved before he's a good poker player.

It all depends on Leigh at the end of the day, if he want to play for us i'd say he will come to us, but there are much bigger wages on offer out there, even after paying £500k?

Northernhibee
01-06-2013, 04:31 PM

We don't have £500k.

Our only hope is the 'tache working his wonders.

J-C
01-06-2013, 05:09 PM

It's a pity things put on private board can't actually stay there :(

Eyrie
01-06-2013, 05:27 PM
It's reasonable for Wolves to value Griffiths at £500k after his season for us.

It's unreasonable to expect Hibs to fork out that sort of money in the current climate and there is no guarantee of a future resale. I'm sure we would pay that much if we could afford it, but until then it's a case of In Rod I Trust.

Dalkeith
01-06-2013, 05:39 PM

Info is out on twitter and fb so not a pm exclusive

Hibs90
01-06-2013, 05:39 PM

Who says he got it from there? Calm yerself

cabbageandribs1875
01-06-2013, 05:54 PM
i imagine 500K is the starting point for negotiations, do wolves really want to pay out several thousand £'s/week to a player that doesn't really want to be there, they cant force him to play for any other club even if they were offered 1mil from another club, the tache will wear them down on the first asking price :agree: said it several weeks ago that we should offer them a % of any future transfer fee we would get if we move him on. make it so RP

Hibernia Na Eir
01-06-2013, 06:00 PM
just dinnae sign for the second class greens. please!

LeighLoyal
01-06-2013, 06:01 PM
i imagine 500K is the starting point for negotiations, do wolves really want to pay out several thousand £'s/week to a player that doesn't really want to be there, they cant force him to play for any other club even if they were offered 1mil from another club, the tache will wear them down on the first asking price :agree: said it several weeks ago that we should offer them a % of any future transfer fee we would get if we move him on. make it so RP

It really does hinge on Leigh's wishes, if he really wants to be at Hibernian next season then he has to tell Wolves that's the only place he wants to be. He doesn't owe them anything as has been said.

Devilstorment
01-06-2013, 07:54 PM
A lot of it goes down to Leigh, yes he wants to stay at Hibs but he is on record as having said he would "like another Crack at England"

As much as I would like him to, i seriously doubt he will purposefully kb good career moves offering more money in the championship. Footballers have short careers, what is imho is more likely is that he will give the championship (or even Wolves if the want him) another go, then if it doesnt work out he will come home!

I would like to be proven wrong on this i hasten to add!

AlbertK86
01-06-2013, 08:16 PM

Why ?

essexhibee
01-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Why ?

Because it can mean that those who post information trusting it isn't reposted will no longer post.

monktonharp
01-06-2013, 08:41 PM
It seems sensible for Hibs to live within their means- just look at the cheating of Hearts and Rangers but this is a time to invest if the £500k number is correct. His progress last season was immense, he clearly supports the club and wants to play for us, with Rangers playing at Alloa, Hearts near bust and many others financially struggling 2nd spot is up for grabs. With Leigh I think we would have a real chance of 2nd or 3rd next season. Further if we paid that, signed him for 3 years with a promise we would sell to an English club (ie not Celtic or Rangers) for a decent offer after 18 months I think we could turn in a great profit. Normally I would say no, but this is a time to invest in a proven player for us with a real chance of more than doubling our money.:agree:could be the best bit of business that Petrie ever did.we did pay 500k, for Keith Keith Keith to Dundee, and that wisnae yesterday!

Mr White
01-06-2013, 08:59 PM
:agree:could be the best bit of business that Petrie ever did.we did pay 500k, for Keith Keith Keith to Dundee, and that wisnae yesterday!

It was the day after we received 400k for Paul wright though.

LeighLoyal
01-06-2013, 09:01 PM
:agree:could be the best bit of business that Petrie ever did.we did pay 500k, for Keith Keith Keith to Dundee, and that wisnae yesterday!

And 440k for Jackson, but that was pre bosman and in the days guys signed and honoured 5 year deals.

Peevemor
01-06-2013, 09:06 PM
And 440k for Jackson, but that was pre bosman and in the days guys signed and honoured 5 year deals.

And even when the contract was finished, the club was still entitled to a transfer fee. Changed days indeed!

1875STEVE
01-06-2013, 09:14 PM
If only the extra 10,000 that turned up for the final were going evrey week or buying a season ticket, we could afford the 500k no problem.....:flag::pfgwa

FromTheCapital
01-06-2013, 09:27 PM
This is what I feared to be honest. A guy who's scored 28 goals in a season, earned himself an international cap and multiple awards is probably worthy of the £500k price tag. I don't know where Hibs could conjure up this money? I'd maybe offer around £300k and begin negotiations from there. Fingers crossed that Leigh's love for the club and Kenny Jackett's style of football can help us get Sparky. I doubt we'll get him but it's not impossible. :agree:

J-C
01-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Why ?

Because I was told in confidence, hence why I put it on the private members board, if that person sees this thread on main page, he might not give me any more info in future.

If as has been said it's been tweeted and on FB, then fair enough, I don't do twitter and not seen it on FB yet.

Mark1875
01-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Because I was told in confidence, hence why I put it on the private members board, if that person sees this thread on main page, he might not give me any more info in future.

If as has been said it's been tweeted and on FB, then fair enough, I don't do twitter and not seen it on FB yet.

These things always tend to end up in the public domain soon enough. Would have got out one way or another, I wouldn't think Leigh himself would even be that fussy about it not being kept top secret.

500k and a % of future sale value does seem a pretty high figure though. How much have wolves 'invested' in him? 150k transfer fee how much in wages, I've heard figures as high as 13k p/w and as low as 4k p/w of which Hibs have supposedly been paying half. If the first wage figure is correct then wolves are simply trying to recoup some of what they have outlayed over the last 2 years. If the second one is correct they are trying to hold us to ransom.

Whatever it is I think it's outrageous that they were entitled to enforce an extra years option on a player they never thought highly enough of to include in their 1st team squad, but that arguments for another day:agree:

rainman
01-06-2013, 10:36 PM

To be fair, the word "Private" should be dropped out of the name of the board. There is no signing of a declaration that nothing will leave that board. Yes a lot of the members are familiar names and most are not going to go against your wishes, but you're asking complete strangers to keep secrets for you. The only requirement to get access is to have a spare tenner. Something any journo or random could have.

My advice, if you don't want your info to go public, don't put it on the Internet.

NOLA
02-06-2013, 01:27 AM
Why don't we borrow the £500k from ourselves ;) then we can pay it back to ourselves whenever we want, sorted :)

IWasThere2016
02-06-2013, 04:39 AM
To be fair, the word "Private" should be dropped out of the name of the board. There is no signing of a declaration that nothing will leave that board. Yes a lot of the members are familiar names and most are not going to go against your wishes, but you're asking complete strangers to keep secrets for you. The only requirement to get access is to have a spare tenner. Something any journo or random could have.

My advice, if you don't want your info to go public, don't put it on the Internet.

Convenient view given I once posted info asking that it stay on the PM Board only for you to post it verbatim here!

J-C
02-06-2013, 04:49 AM

My advice, if you don't want your info to go public, don't put it on the Internet..

The private members forum means just that, you get away from all the nonsense of the main board and get a lot more genuine info from people in the know. If the info I got went public, fair enough, nowt I can do bout it but it was on main board minutes after I posted on private board.

The tenner isn't just for the private board, it's also to keep Hibs.net going, it's the best forum around, so a tenner a year is worth it. Generally any info on that board is kept there, unless it's made public elsewhere, it's annoying because I was told in confidence, by the way, I didn't put it into the public domain, it was a PRIVATE forum.

IWasThere2016
02-06-2013, 05:01 AM
Well said jc1

cocopops1875
02-06-2013, 06:46 AM

The private members forum means just that, you get away from all the nonsense of the main board and get a lot more genuine info from people in the know. If the info I got went public, fair enough, nowt I can do bout it but it was on main board minutes after I posted on private board.

The tenner isn't just for the private board, it's also to keep Hibs.net going, it's the best forum around, so a tenner a year is worth it. Generally any info on that board is kept there, unless it's made public elsewhere, it's annoying because I was told in confidence, by the way, I didn't put it into the public domain, it was a PRIVATE forum.
Exactly right the PMs help pay for this site for all to enjoy, and one of the "perks" is good info from credible sources, if asked to keep it private I always do as this perk will stop if people don't.
And to the guy that says all you need is a spare tenner, I believe that's not the only criteria to be accepted

rainman
02-06-2013, 07:03 AM
Exactly right the PMs help pay for this site for all to enjoy, and one of the "perks" is good info from credible sources, if asked to keep it private I always do as this perk will stop if people don't.
And to the guy that says all you need is a spare tenner, I believe that's not the only criteria to be accepted

What other criteria is there?

Understand what the board is all about and know most, if not all members can be trusted. I just mean if you're upset about info "getting out" and think it will damage your relationship with whoever gave you it, it's probably not a good idea to post it somewhere that anybody can access with a tenner.

BroxburnHibee
02-06-2013, 07:05 AM
PM board is a great alternative to the main board which can get a bit hysterical at times and as has already been said the PM's contributions go a long way to keeping this site running. Thats why access to that forum is not the only benefit to it.

Its great when some of our in the know posters share some snippets of info on there as an added wee bonus and when they ask it to be kept in there I think in general its pretty much respected.

However I'm sure they (and everyone else) can understand that its human nature that eventually things like that will get out - whether its the "I know something you don't know" or yams getting access (as hard as we try its bound to happen :greengrin) or even as has been pointed out, journalists forking out a tenner (pretty sure we have a few Hibby journos as PM's anyway).

Not worth getting worked up about really.

Only a tenner a year for anyone considering it - or as I often say - less than 3p a day to keep the site going strong :thumbsup:

BroxburnHibee
02-06-2013, 07:08 AM
What other criteria is there?

Understand what the board is all about and know most, if not all members can be trusted. I just mean if you're upset about info "getting out" and think it will damage your relationship with whoever gave you it, it's probably not a good idea to post it somewhere that anybody can access with a tenner.

"Anybody" cant access it. :greengrin

Think what Coco means is that generally folk need to get up to a certain number of posts before we'll allow them access. That tends to weed out the yams (but not all probably :wink:)

Either that or they need to be known to a member of the admin team or someone we know can vouch for them.

cocopops1875
02-06-2013, 07:17 AM
"Anybody" cant access it. :greengrin

Think what Coco means is that generally folk need to get up to a certain number of posts before we'll allow them access. That tends to weed out the yams (but not all probably :wink:)

Either that or they need to be known to a member of the admin team or someone we know can vouch for them.
This

blackpoolhibs
02-06-2013, 08:05 AM
The private message board while good for a bit of news or a signing to be is about as private as Sky sports news is compared to BBC1. Anyone who has a tenner can get in, and that is as private as it gets.

As someone else said, if you really don't want your information to get out, then you really shouldn't be posting it on this site, it will get out.

Folk love a scoop, and its only human nature to want to tell it. Also not everyone who is a private member is actually a Hibs supporter.

PeterboroHibee
02-06-2013, 08:32 AM
These things always tend to end up in the public domain soon enough. Would have got out one way or another, I wouldn't think Leigh himself would even be that fussy about it not being kept top secret.

500k and a % of future sale value does seem a pretty high figure though. How much have wolves 'invested' in him? 150k transfer fee how much in wages, I've heard figures as high as 13k p/w and as low as 4k p/w of which Hibs have supposedly been paying half. If the first wage figure is correct then wolves are simply trying to recoup some of what they have outlayed over the last 2 years. If the second one is correct they are trying to hold us to ransom.

Whatever it is I think it's outrageous that they were entitled to enforce an extra years option on a player they never thought highly enough of to include in their 1st team squad, but that arguments for another day:agree:

Regardless of what Wolves have invested in him, he is still their player and they are entitled to try and get as much money as possible for him. He signed the contract that allowed Wolves to take up another years option on him so there cant be any complaints.

As for the value, why is £500k + add ons high? As others have said, Russell (who has the same contract left as Griffiths) and especially Hooper are being touted as going for huge fees, yet Griffiths arguably had a better season than either of them. Hes an international now and widely recognized from every major body in Scotland as the stand out player this season. If anything, £500k is an absolute steal for a club in this current financial climate for a striker who can lead the line himself or in a pair, has pace and skill, can score a load of goals and take set pieces (its just a shame we probably cant afford it).

darwenhibby
02-06-2013, 08:54 AM
To take a reality check here is that no matter how much we know we want Leigh to sing for Hibs, the price tag is a little bit out of our budget.
Wolves could accept a lower bid from Hibs with a highs % fee on future transfers. However LG cod be the kind of character that could easily say "I'm at Hibs for the rest of my career" and they get nothing.
Don't think that would happen.

At the end of the day 500k is a steal for his ability! But still outside our budget!
Every one want LG to sign for us but they are already selling him in 18-24 months.

blackpoolhibs
02-06-2013, 08:56 AM
To take a reality check here is that no matter how much we know we want Leigh to sing for Hibs, the price tag is a little bit out of our budget.
Wolves could accept a lower bid from Hibs with a highs % fee on future transfers. However LG cod be the kind of character that could easily say "I'm at Hibs for the rest of my career" and they get nothing.
Don't think that would happen.

At the end of the day 500k is a steal for his ability! But still outside our budget!
Every one want LG to sign for us but they are already selling him in 18-24 months.

I'd rather he played football for us, and for that price we could probably get Elton John, but each to their own Duane. :wink:

YehButNoBut
02-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Think if Leigh is desperate to sign permanently for Hibs that he might have to sit it out until January. If he refuses to go anywhere else and signs a pre-contract with us in Jan then I would imagine Wolves would be prepared to let him go then for around £100-£150k rather than get nothing next summer.

YehButNoBut
02-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Just been looking at the Wolves fans forum to see what their views are on Leigh, not much about him at all but some of them would give him a chance next season but most of them would be happy to get rid, hopefully the new manager feels the same.

Some of their comments below.

4 Managers (well 3 1/2 as TC probably does not justify a full point) have decided that he is better off a long way away, which tells us a lot about him.

We appear to have had a disjointed dressing room last season & we do not need someone back who has given no indication that he wants to be here & fight for a starting place..

In fact I'm not really sure why I am wasting my time answering this post.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's more that you can't really draw any conclusions from scoring goals in the SPL. Anthony Stokes knocked them in for fun at Falkirk but he was woeful in England. Michael Higdon has scored over 20 goals this season and he's just some fat bloke who wasn't good enough for Crewe.

As I said last week I've watched him play a couple of times and I don't think he's a very good player.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You do realize that regardless of him being a monumental cock, if an opportunity to at least try him is not taken up (please, I am not advocating this !)then that is going to be a massive stick with which to beat the perspective new manager with. Its all basically a lose / lose situation, unless we can get a fee that warrants his speedy exit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The contract extension is purely commercial IMO, I am fairly confident he will be somewhere else next season. The guy is a first class cock and given we want to bring some of the youth through now, less time they spend with him the better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope he leaves soon so we don't have to talk about him any more.

He doesn't want to be at Wolves and we can do without disruptive influences in the dressing room. We've had plenty of them over the last two seasons

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Griffiths is clearly a very good player, but he doesn't want to be here, and is a complete prick by all accounts. We should sell him while we can get a fee for him IMO.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why his he such a cock? HE certainly knows how to strike a ball better than anyone we are currently playing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd take £250k and get rid of the balding chode - just not worth the effort and he doesn't want to be here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what's the point of having him back when he doesn't want to play for us? hibs dont have much money, but we can still milk them for say half a mil to a mill over 2-3 years and a 30% future transfer fee?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While the service has been very poor he looks a bit of a luxury player to me. Very little graft leaving the spade work to his team mates.

His goals total suggests he knows where the goal is but is probably more a reflection on the general standard up there than any major ability on his part

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eyrie
02-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Just been looking at the Wolves fans forum to see what their views are on Leigh, not much about him at all but some of them would give him a chance next season but most of them would be happy to get rid, hopefully the new manager feels the same.

Not quoting the full post for space reasons, but does anyone have Kenny Jackett's email address?

SMAXXA
02-06-2013, 10:46 AM

what's the point of having him back when he doesn't want to play for us? hibs dont have much money, but we can still milk them for say half a mil to a mill over 2-3 years and a 30% future transfer fee?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While the service has been very poor he looks a bit of a luxury player to me. Very little graft leaving the spade work to his team mates.

His goals total suggests he knows where the goal is but is probably more a reflection on the general standard up there than any major ability on his part

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aside from the all round abuse he is receiving about being a cock etc, these 2 comments really made me laugh. Very little graft? Look at the goal at Tyne when he closed down the lost cause and Ross got the winner from it. I don't think you can ever fault Leighs work rate for one moment. And the transfer fee they are quoting £500k-1mil over a few years and a 30% sell on clause :faf: WTF he only has a year left on his contract, the boys in dreamland if he thinks they will get that.

darwenhibby
02-06-2013, 10:48 AM
I'd rather he played football for us, and for that price we could probably get Elton John, but each to their own Duane. :wink:

He'd be a proper hibby and sing when we're winning! Thanks for the correction Dad!

YehButNoBut
02-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Not quoting the full post for space reasons, but does anyone have Kenny Jackett's email address?

Can't see anything for Jackett direct, try these

For General enquiries
Main Switchboard: 0871 222 2220
Ticket Office: 0871 222 1877
Email: info@wolves.co.uk

R'Albin
02-06-2013, 10:52 AM
I think the Wolves fans are forgetting they're a league 1 side now.

SMAXXA
02-06-2013, 10:57 AM

Im not sure you can attribute this directly to any post on the PM's board. I for one was also informed about this figure (also that it will be no where near this amount that we will pay) but didn't post on here, not because I wanted to keep it private just because I havnt been near my laptop. FWIW I don't see the secrecy in even keeping this to a PM board to be honest, not really a big deal IMO

hfc rd
02-06-2013, 10:57 AM
I think the Wolves fans are forgetting they're a league 1 side now.

No wonder they got relegated. They must have a golden chest of strikers if they think Leigh Griffiths isn't good enough for League 1. They are saying his attitude is very poor, have they not seen Matt Doherty? That boy thinks he is the new Franz Beckenbauer.

GlenrothesHibee
02-06-2013, 11:06 AM
If we cant afford him id be pretty angry if the board sanctioned a move for him. The well being of the club if far more important than one player. Look at the mess in Gorgie. We should be looking a players who are out of contract now. We really cant be spending money. Sad but that is the reality.

AlbertK86
02-06-2013, 11:14 AM

Ok was just curious mate

Prof. Shaggy
02-06-2013, 01:52 PM
A "chode" anyone?:confused:

Vault Boy
02-06-2013, 02:10 PM

No thank you. :greengrin

pontius pilate
02-06-2013, 02:18 PM
I don't know what figure was bandied about but I'll guess it's the £500k rumour as I posted earlier on a different thread Blackpool did offer £400k so I'm not confident about sparky coming back.

SaulGoodman
02-06-2013, 04:05 PM

A very small fat member :agree:

Woody70x2
02-06-2013, 05:07 PM

4 Managers (well 3 1/2 as TC probably does not justify a full point) have decided that he is better off a long way away, which tells us a lot about him.

We appear to have had a disjointed dressing room last season & we do not need someone back who has given no indication that he wants to be here & fight for a starting place..

In fact I'm not really sure why I am wasting my time answering this post.

I think it's more that you can't really draw any conclusions from scoring goals in the SPL. Anthony Stokes knocked them in for fun at Falkirk but he was woeful in England. Michael Higdon has scored over 20 goals this season and he's just some fat bloke who wasn't good enough for Crewe.

As I said last week I've watched him play a couple of times and I don't think he's a very good player.

You do realize that regardless of him being a monumental cock, if an opportunity to at least try him is not taken up (please, I am not advocating this !)then that is going to be a massive stick with which to beat the perspective new manager with. Its all basically a lose / lose situation, unless we can get a fee that warrants his speedy exit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The contract extension is purely commercial IMO, I am fairly confident he will be somewhere else next season. The guy is a first class cock and given we want to bring some of the youth through now, less time they spend with him the better.

I hope he leaves soon so we don't have to talk about him any more.

He doesn't want to be at Wolves and we can do without disruptive influences in the dressing room. We've had plenty of them over the last two seasons

Griffiths is clearly a very good player, but he doesn't want to be here, and is a complete prick by all accounts. We should sell him while we can get a fee for him IMO.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why his he such a cock? HE certainly knows how to strike a ball better than anyone we are currently playing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd take £250k and get rid of the balding chode - just not worth the effort and he doesn't want to be here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hibs should play Wolves preseason and stick it right up them.

League 1 rubbish.

Stringer
02-06-2013, 05:19 PM
I do agree that Leigh has to do more spadework. I would love to have him back, obviously. But he needs to change his game. His link play has to improve. Also he can't rage at someone when the ball isn't played to him.

1two
02-06-2013, 05:46 PM
I do agree that Leigh has to do more spadework. I would love to have him back, obviously. But he needs to change his game. His link play has to improve. Also he can't rage at someone when the ball isn't played to him.

I'm not disagreeing but 31 goals in 2 years

Cabbage7062
02-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Would like to see hibs try there very hardest to keep him here as along with his outstanding ability he has a special bond with the fans which I and most others really appreciate. :not worth

Scouse Hibee
02-06-2013, 06:21 PM

You were told something in confidence yet saw fit to post it on an internet forum and now have the brass neck to complain that it may have been leaked from the PM board and make you look bad? :faf:
Oh dear, think before you post or keep your "in confidence info" to yourself :rolleyes:

HibeeHendo
02-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Why are Wolves worrying about the standard of football up here when Hibs would probably beat them :confused:

pontius pilate
02-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Because they are arrogant the thing is sparky could probably have helped them stay up last season if they weren't so ignorant and arrogant to think he is a 2 bit football player playing in a ****ty league.

cabbageandribs1875
02-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Auchinleck Talbot would beat wolves

NOLA
02-06-2013, 06:41 PM

maybe you weren't the only person your ITK pal talked to :wink:

Andy74
02-06-2013, 06:44 PM
There's on thing more worrying than Wolves wanting 500k and that's that half of you would just pay it! Mental.

Ryan69
02-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Think its about time Petrie realised he ****ed up! We could of had Leigh for 125k.....but didnt. We need to find 500k and pay it!
His goals definately earned us more this season than the 500k he will cost.
When we signed De La Cruz....we paid more,knowing he would be sold for more!
Get your finger out and say sign him on a 3 year deal,have an arrangement that after 1 year he can move on if he want. Leigh being a big Hibee....could he possibly get a better deal?

Scouse Hibee
02-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Think its about time Petrie realised he ****ed up! We could of had Leigh for 125k.....but didnt. We need to find 500k and pay it!
Get your finger out and say sign him on a 3 year deal,have an arrangement that after 1 year he can move on if he want. Leigh being a big Hibee....could he possibly get a better deal?

Really? When was this.

Jonnyboy
02-06-2013, 06:55 PM

West country term for thumb? :greengrin

Mikey
02-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Really? When was this.

It's a FACT.

Endof.

Northernhibee
02-06-2013, 06:59 PM

You say "find 500k" like it's easy, it ain't.

There are a few positions we need strengthened in the transfer window, if we splash half a million on a player (which I doubt if we could) it means we'll be short elsewhere on the pitch.

Only hope is we negotiate Wolves down by quite a bit otherwise as great as Sparky is he won't be back. No point deluding ourselves about it.

cloudy
02-06-2013, 07:02 PM
So much for all these people coming on here saying "sparky will 100% be at hibs next season" now it looks like we're all just hoping he doesn't sign for the greens that don't wash

Sir David Gray
02-06-2013, 07:03 PM
If Wolves are demanding £500k for Griffiths, he won't be coming back to us.

It's not a lot of money for a footballer these days, particularly one that's scored almost 30 goals last season, but we simply don't have it.

The club he goes to will be getting a bargain though.

YehButNoBut
02-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Just wondering how effective Leigh would be at another club his passion & feeling for Hibs contributes to his performance & he would not get this anywhere else.

Plus the fans adore him here and again I doubt he would get that feeling for him from the terraces anywhere else.

I know money talks but Leigh will never get the enjoyment & pleasure he currently has playing for any other club.

:hibees

HH81
02-06-2013, 07:10 PM
There's on thing more worrying than Wolves wanting 500k and that's that half of you would just pay it! Mental.

Got to agree, mental is not the word....

Scouse Hibee
02-06-2013, 07:15 PM
It's a FACT.

Endof.

:greengrin

Ryan69
02-06-2013, 08:22 PM
You say "find 500k" like it's easy, it ain't.

There are a few positions we need strengthened in the transfer window, if we splash half a million on a player (which I doubt if we could) it means we'll be short elsewhere on the pitch.

Only hope is we negotiate Wolves down by quite a bit otherwise as great as Sparky is he won't be back. No point deluding ourselves about it.

Ok,well just accept Petrie ****ed up again then will we? Hibs could definately find 500k for an investment....That is no lose!

J-C
02-06-2013, 08:27 PM
You were told something in confidence yet saw fit to post it on an internet forum and now have the brass neck to complain that it may have been leaked from the PM board and make you look bad? :faf:
Oh dear, think before you post or keep your "in confidence info" to yourself :rolleyes:

The private members forum is where any wee titbits of genuine info is got, if in the public domain, there's nowt I can do about it but seeing as it was a PRIVATE forum, I'd expect it to be kept there like it usually does. The person who mentioned it has pm'd me and apologised, a wee gaff, it happens. so before you start having wee digs, think before you slag off.

CropleyWasGod
02-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Ok,well just accept Petrie ****ed up again then will we? Hibs could definately find 500k for an investment....That is no lose!

It's not just the 500k though, is it? It's the wages as well.... they have to be comparable to what he would get elsewhere.

As for a "no lose" investment..... doesn't exist in football. :cb

Northernhibee
02-06-2013, 08:29 PM

Unless of course if he picks up an injury or gets himself into trouble and another club doesn't want to come in for him as a result. Of course there's a risk in there, look at James McPake; his injury has come back to haunt him.

I'd love to know where you'd find the 500k PLUS money to strengthen our defence, find a new right midfielder AND get in another couple of strikers. We are skint.

If Wolves want money for Sparky that we don't have, how is that Petrie ****ing up?

Billy Whizz
02-06-2013, 08:31 PM
It's not just the 500k though, is it? It's the wages as well.... they have to be comparable to what he would get elsewhere.

Ask Vlad. His strategy was to sign players on high wages and sell them on, apart from Gordon, and he spent around £70m or so at Hearts, who commanded a sell on fee, greater than what they were probably paid

J-C
02-06-2013, 08:32 PM
maybe you weren't the only person your ITK pal talked to :wink:

Or maybe there was more than one source of the story, it happens but as usual on this main forum it all gets blown out of proportion and the sly digs start.

Back to the original reason I posted was to say Petrie was in talks with wolves, so any thought of us paying them £500k was nonsense as it's not his way, we don't have that kind of money and we're in the better bargaining seat re Griffiths as he wants to be here.

Scouse Hibee
02-06-2013, 08:38 PM
The private members forum is where any wee titbits of genuine info is got, if in the public domain, there's nowt I can do about it but seeing as it was a PRIVATE forum, I'd expect it to be kept there like it usually does. The person who mentioned it has pm'd me and apologised, a wee gaff, it happens. so before you start having wee digs, think before you slag off.

A PMF is an internet forum with access limited to members but never the less it's an internet forum where as you have stated information given to you in confidence can be and has been leaked.

I gave it plenty of thought thanks and came up with the same answer: if you're told something in confidence and you don't want its leak to the masses to be linked to you then don't post it on an internet forum of any kind it's that simple! And before you start it's not a sly dig at you it's merely a fact which by now you have surely realised!

scoopyboy
02-06-2013, 08:54 PM

What if a third party was to invest in the deal?

I've heard that just might be the case.

CropleyWasGod
02-06-2013, 09:09 PM

If that were the case, then Rod wouldn't have f'ed up :greengrin

SaulGoodman
02-06-2013, 10:04 PM

I've heard the same :agree:

Although it might've been from you :greengrin

J-C
02-06-2013, 10:13 PM
A PMF is an internet forum with access limited to members but never the less it's an internet forum where as you have stated information given to you in confidence can be and has been leaked.

I gave it plenty of thought thanks and came up with the same answer: if you're told something in confidence and you don't want its leak to the masses to be linked to you then don't post it on an internet forum of any kind it's that simple! And before you start it's not a sly dig at you it's merely a fact which by now you have surely realised!

so when all other people with genuine in the know info get theirs, they've to just keep it to themselves and not share with others on and get this bit as it's pretty essential here a PRIVATE forum. Now note that word again, it's the word private, not general or even open, this self same word should be the clue why any info doesn't get out into general forums. There are many posters on here who have very good bits of good info and they all post on the Private members forum as they don't want it out into public domain, occasionally this will happen, not by a slip of the tongue but through other people getting this same info from other sources, The problem I had was when I posted it was on the main forum within 3-4 minutes, the poster has since apologised and we move on, it's now in the open but you for some weird reason continue to discuss my original grievance, which is now forgotten about but you keep mentioning it. Please will you let us move on with the rest of this thread and discussion, as it's now getting very boring indeed. :aok:

GlenrothesHibee
02-06-2013, 10:13 PM

If only hibs.net hat a 'like' button

cabbageandribs1875
02-06-2013, 11:18 PM
If only hibs.net hat a 'like' button

here, borrow this one

http://help.mailchimp.com/img/monkeylike.jpg:greengrin

jacomo
02-06-2013, 11:23 PM

3rd party ownership banned though, after Tevez n Masch at West Ham? Or is that England.

Haymaker
03-06-2013, 12:59 AM
3rd party ownership banned though, after Tevez n Masch at West Ham? Or is that England.

Quite common in south America iirc so cant be a FIFA ban. Could be UEFA though.

After research it seems it isnt illegal except in the EPL.

Mark1875
03-06-2013, 01:07 AM
Unless I'm missing something or people know more than they are letting on. I haven't seen anybody suggesting a 3rd party ownership deal, merely an investment. This has happened fairly recently in Scotland. I believe that it's only down to a group of Motherwell fans paying McFaddens wages that they were able to sign him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoopyboy
03-06-2013, 05:35 AM

I never mentioned ownership, you did:greengrin

Ryan69
03-06-2013, 06:08 AM
If Wolves want money for Sparky that we don't have, how is that Petrie ****ing up?

Because we could of got him for 125k....but Petrie was not wanting to pay it.

oldbutdim
03-06-2013, 06:40 AM

Do you mean when he was at Dundee?

NOLA
03-06-2013, 06:57 AM
Leigh could choose to spend the next 6 months at wolves then sign a pre contract with us in january, sorted :)

The Falcon
03-06-2013, 06:59 AM

You know this how exactly?

Cracker
03-06-2013, 07:29 AM

Sure this did take place some years ago with Murdo McLeod,same again Maybe (STF)?

IanM
03-06-2013, 07:42 AM
If this £500k fee for Griffiths is true and Hibs fans are going to argue that we can/can't afford it along with his wages here's the simple answer.. simple arithmetic

Griffiths - £500,000
Season ticket £400

number required - 1250

so if we're desperate to get Griffiths then I reckon if 2000 fans at the cup final that aren't yet a season ticket holders go buy a season ticket this money alone will fund leigh..

2000 may seem a high amount but compared to the 23000 at the final it's a small %

let's spread the word..

Scouse Hibee
03-06-2013, 08:41 AM
With the complexities of his "love" life as I heard last night I can't begin to fathom whether Leigh wants/needs to stay in Edinburgh or not. :greengrin
He certainly scores when he wants.

basehibby
03-06-2013, 08:51 AM
You know this how exactly?

The figure I always heard/read was £150K - a figure oft quoted in many papers - certainly together with the well known managerial instability suffered all last season by Wolves, enough to lend more than a bit of credibility to this, never actively quashed by Hibs, rumour.

So, on balance of probabilities, I think it's fair to surmise that Petrie/the board HAVE f***ed up big style in not taking a chance on a precocious talent at a relatively cheap price when the opportunity was there.

Mark1875
03-06-2013, 08:58 AM
2000 may seem a high amount but compared to the 23000 at the final it's a small %

let's spread the word..

2000 out of 23000 is less than 10% sure. Take out those that already bought seasons though and you are down to 2000 out of 17000ish.

I'm going to stop there as this line of thought is pointless the only important figure is £405. I don't think you will find 2000 hibbies left than can afford and justify spending that much in one go.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-06-2013, 09:00 AM

I very much doubt it!

chrisski33
03-06-2013, 09:06 AM
I think stf should stump up the 500k and get sparky signed up!

J-C
03-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Our biggest bargaining chip in all this is the fact that Leigh wants to stay here, Rod will use this to our advantage and hopefully a deal which suits both parties will be agreed. Wages wise shouldn't be a problem as Leigh isn't on the big wages a lot of people think he is.

Dr What If?
03-06-2013, 09:15 AM
2000 out of 23000 is less than 10% sure. Take out those that already bought seasons though and you are down to 2000 out of 17000ish.

I'm going to stop there as this line of thought is pointless the only important figure is £405. I don't think you will find 2000 hibbies left than can afford and justify spending that much in one go.

Affording it is the biggy! I'm tired of the whole 'no season ticket, not a real Hibby' rubbish that gets spouted all the time. I'm not rich but probably doing alright compared to average but still have a mortgage, nursery fees, etc to worry about - £400 is a lot of money! Add to that the fact only the smaller games seem to start Saturday 3pm and then its a case of how often will I get to use the thing!
Just because I will not be getting a season ticket doesn't mean I don't want to see Leigh back in Green next season or in some way care less for Hibs! If you don't mind I'll continue to be an infrequent 'walk up' spending only what I can afford when I have it. Sorry, rant over :greengrin

Pat 0-7
03-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Our biggest bargaining chip in all this is the fact that Leigh wants to stay here, Rod will use this to our advantage and hopefully a deal which suits both parties will be agreed. Wages wise shouldn't be a problem as Leigh isn't on the big wages a lot of people think he is.

I think Leigh will have a big say in where he plays next season.

GlenrothesHibee
03-06-2013, 09:34 AM
I very much doubt it!

Wolves would struggle in SPL. Scottish division one is about the level they are at

Hank Schrader
03-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Wolves would struggle in SPL. Scottish division one is about the level they are at

Sorry mate but that is complete and utter horse manure. Wolves would comfortably finish top 6 in the SPL despite their recent failures.

There are plenty league one teams that would show up well in the SPL. That sadly how far our game has deteriorated over recent years.

TheFamous1875
03-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Kenny Jackett interviewed on SSN. Pre season starts 24th June, looking at youth for his big rebuild. He has ideas already on the squad, and will asses them at pre season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FifeHibernian
03-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Sorry mate but that is complete and utter horse manure. Wolves would comfortably finish top 6 in the SPL despite their recent failures.

There are plenty league one teams that would show up well in the SPL. That sadly how far our game has deteriorated over recent years.

Do you watch much league 1?

londonhibby
03-06-2013, 11:23 PM
[QUOTE=TheFamous1875;3630833]Kenny Jackett interviewed on SSN. Pre season starts 24th June, looking at youth for his big rebuild. He has ideas already on the squad, and will asses them at pre season.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/leigh-griffiths-could-be-next-stephen-fletcher-1-2953241

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

rainman
03-06-2013, 11:25 PM
[QUOTE=TheFamous1875;3630833]Kenny Jackett interviewed on SSN. Pre season starts 24th June, looking at youth for his big rebuild. He has ideas already on the squad, and will asses them at pre season.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/leigh-griffiths-could-be-next-stephen-fletcher-1-2953241

The latest move in the game of chess referred to in this thread already.

Fletcher wanted to be there. Griffiths doesn't. Certainly not in league 1.

londonhibby
03-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Hope you're right. Another way of raising his price I guess. As it's been said before, a lot of it's down to Leigh.

rainman
03-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Hope you're right. Another way of raising his price I guess. As it's been said before, a lot of it's down to Leigh.

I think a lot of it is down to Leigh and as much as he loves Hibs and has his family('s) here, how many better offers can he turn down?

londonhibby
03-06-2013, 11:42 PM
I think a lot of it is down to Leigh and as much as he loves Hibs and has his family('s) here, how many better offers can he turn down?

That could be a problem. The average wage for League 1 is around £1k a week but Wolves still have some players earning between £10-20k, although they are trying to move them on. However, they also got a parachute payment of £18million (http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/04/wolves-relegated-from-championship-to-league-one-on-last-day-3712953/) which, if they truly rate Griffiths, could let them afford to tempt him and put him well out of our reach.

green.and.white
04-06-2013, 01:04 AM
The Scotsman could have at least spelled STEVEN Fletcher's name correctly, he's a bloody Scotland international!!

NorthRoadHibee
04-06-2013, 03:52 AM
Scotsman article saying There's no chance of wolves selling him to us :(

SMAXXA
04-06-2013, 09:14 AM

Doesn't change a think IMO, you would expect Wolves to be saying exactly this, if they simply rolled over and appeared to have no interest in keeping him their fans would be up in arms that they havnt given him a go with his scoring record up here. I don't believe Leigh will be there next season, not saying he will be with us either but if they were that adamant on wanting him so much, they would be offering him a 3 year deal right now not activating a year in his contract.

Andy74
04-06-2013, 09:20 AM
[QUOTE=londonhibby;3631642]

Doesn't change a think IMO, you would expect Wolves to be saying exactly this, if they simply rolled over and appeared to have no interest in keeping him their fans would be up in arms that they havnt given him a go with his scoring record up here. I don't believe Leigh will be there next season, not saying he will be with us either but if they were that adamant on wanting him so much, they would be offering him a 3 year deal right now not activating a year in his contract.

Yep. They won't be making money on him unless he is signed long term.

LeighLoyal
04-06-2013, 10:28 AM
[QUOTE=SMAXXA;3631864]

Yep. They won't be making money on him unless he is signed long term.

So they'll have a very unhappy player for a year with no intention of staying beyond the league one season coming. hmmmm. Bad news for us though, not sure where we're going to get a repacement that's even half as prolific. Oh wait.... Derek Riordan!!!

Incidentally, Petrie is largely to blame for this fiasco. Why he didn't sign LG last summer for £150k only he knows. Shocking mistake.

R'Albin
04-06-2013, 10:31 AM
So they'll have a very unhappy player for a year with no intention of staying beyond the league one season coming. hmmmm. Bad news for us though, not sure where we're going to get a replacement that's even half as prolific. Oh wait.... Derek Riordan!!! :aok:

:worms:

Northernhibee
04-06-2013, 10:33 AM
[QUOTE=Andy74;3631869]

So they'll have a very unhappy player for a year with no intention of staying beyond the league one season coming. hmmmm. Bad news for us though, not sure where we're going to get a repacement that's even half as prolific. Oh wait.... Derek Riordan!!!

Incidentally, Petrie is largely to blame for his fiasco. Why he didn't sign LG last summer for £150k only he knows. Shocking mistake.

He also didn't offer two magic beans for Lionel Messi.

PETRIE!!!!

J-C
04-06-2013, 11:55 AM
I'd love to know where this magical figure of £150 k came from, don't think I seen it recorded anywhere, if someone could show me a link to the relevant newspaper or in Hibs official site, be much appreciated. :)

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Do you watch much league 1?

I've watched enough to agree with him 100%!

Devilstorment
04-06-2013, 12:40 PM

WHAT!?!? Control yourself.

Wolves would easily finish top 4 in SPL.

Devilstorment
04-06-2013, 12:47 PM
lets keep clear of all the hypothetical math, it sounds like yams working out how to prevent the titanic sinking:

"if we hold 3 bake sales and charge £1 per muffin we can keep the club running till Tuesday, incidentally I love golden showers and having underage intercourse"

CropleyWasGod
04-06-2013, 12:49 PM
lets keep clear of all the hypothetical math, it sounds like yams working out how to prevent the titanic sinking:

"if we hold 3 bake sales and charge £1 per muffin we can keep the club running till Tuesday, incidentally I love golden showers and having underage intercourse"

According to Michael Douglas, muffin gives you cancer.

Heisenberg
04-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Mark Pryde‏@MarkPryde28m (http://www.hibs.net/MarkPryde/status/341909263322591232)New @officialWolves (http://www.hibs.net/OfficialWolves) boss K Jackett: "Griffiths is an exciting player and I am looking forward to seeing him and working with him."

Tell him where to shove it Leigh :take that

HiBremian
04-06-2013, 02:02 PM
According to Michael Douglas, muffin gives you cancer.

Well, at least the Yam variety.

Craig_in_Prague
04-06-2013, 02:08 PM
shame we don't have an owner who runs a bank or something .....

Chris.igoe
04-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Well that will be that . Gutted

LeighLoyal
04-06-2013, 03:30 PM
I'd love to know where this magical figure of £150 k came from, don't think I seen it recorded anywhere, if someone could show me a link to the relevant newspaper or in Hibs official site, be much appreciated. :)

I think it was a widely reported figure at the time, but accurate or not Petrie could have hammered out a deal last summer on a guy who'd done quite decently and shown real potential. It's spilt milk I know but we need to learn from it as a club. I will now selfishly hope Griffiths doesn't settle at Wolves and we can get him back up here but I think he'll score pretty freely in League One.

Andy74
04-06-2013, 03:38 PM
I think it was a widely reported figure at the time, but accurate or not Petrie could have hammered out a deal last summer on a guy who'd done quite decently and shown real potential. It's spilt milk I know but we need to learn from it as a club. I will now selfishly hope Griffiths doesn't settle at Wolves and we can get him back up here but I think he'll score pretty freely in League One.

Hibs did all they could at the time to get a deal done and should be congratulated for being able to renew the loans at least. Ever since the first one ran out the signs had heavily been that he'd be going back each time.

Hibernia&Alba
04-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Well that will be that . Gutted

Never say never, mate. He wants to be here as much as we want it and it's a chance for the club to really give the place a boost. I'm not giving up on it yet. In fact I'm gonna buy extra lottery tickets.

LeighLoyal
04-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Hibs did all they could at the time to get a deal done and should be congratulated for being able to renew the loans at least. Ever since the first one ran out the signs had heavily been that he'd be going back each time.

Why the much quoted £150k then? I would at least like to know that this option was never on the table, but we never get to know much from the club regards such issues, it was the same when they sold Stokes to Celtic: no explanation or detail, just the fact he was an overnight Celtic player.

Lucius Apuleius
04-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Why the much quoted £150k then? I would at least like to know that this option was never on the table, but we never get to know much from the club regards such issues, it was the same when they sold Stokes to Celtic: no explanation or detail, just the fact he was an overnight Celtic player.

Hibs. net myth. Never seen it anywhere else.

Stringer
04-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Griffiths is gone. Close thread.

SMAXXA
04-06-2013, 04:36 PM

:giruy: Never give up hope :wink:

erin go bragh
04-06-2013, 04:38 PM

Bet you were the primary 1 kid ,that told all the others , santa wasnt true !
Lol

Ggtth

kdhibees1
04-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Santa is True!! A true Hibee!
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/javaImages/b3/68/0,,10290~9267379,00.jpg

jacomo
04-06-2013, 04:48 PM

Wolves paid £150k to Dundee for LG in Jan 2011. Maybe this is where the figure comes from?

Does this mean Hibs could have bought him instead at that time for the same price? Did Dundee try to do a deal with us? Who knows? I can't remember reading anything that says LG was offered to us at that price and we turned it down.

East Coast Hibe
04-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Wolves paid £150k to Dundee for LG in Jan 2011. Maybe this is where the figure comes from?

Does this mean Hibs could have bought him instead at that time for the same price? Did Dundee try to do a deal with us? Who knows? I can't remember reading anything that says LG was offered to us at that price and we turned it down.

Although perhaps not documented, it is widely known that Wolves would have sold Griffiths in January for the price they paid to Dundee - I actually think it was £125K

Devilstorment
04-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Although perhaps not documented, it is widely known that Wolves would have sold Griffiths in January for the price they paid to Dundee - I actually think it was £125K

I would imagine at the time he would have preferred a move to a EPL team anyway

hfc rd
04-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Leigh Griffiths' contract was due to expire this summer before Wolves activated his 1 year option on his contract in March, I think? I think Hibs should have thought three steps ahead and started to have pre-contract discussions with Leigh back in January when Wolves allowed us to extend the loan for a further couple of months and therefore all this fiasco with Wolves would have been prevented.

Devilstorment
04-06-2013, 04:58 PM

I would imagine at the time he would have preferred a move to a EPL team anyway

brydekirk
04-06-2013, 05:03 PM
The £150k was mentioned in a few papers in january before we extended his loan deal.

CropleyWasGod
04-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Leigh Griffiths' contract was due to expire this summer before Wolves activated his 1 year option on his contract in March, I think? I think Hibs should have thought three steps ahead and started to have pre-contract discussions with Leigh back in January when Wolves allowed us to extend the loan for a further couple of months and therefore all this fiasco with Wolves would have been prevented.

Do we know that they didn't?

Pretty Boy
04-06-2013, 05:14 PM

The Stokes decision was explained in.detail at that years AGM.

NOLA
04-06-2013, 08:41 PM
just noticed that wolves are having a week long training camp up here in july, maybe a chance for rod and moxey to sit down and sort this out :agree:

ian cruise
05-06-2013, 12:20 AM
just noticed that wolves are having a week long training camp up here in july, maybe a chance for rod and moxey to sit down and sort this out :agree:

Hibs vs Wolves. Winner gets Sparky. If no winner after 90mins Moxey and Rod sort it out in the car park.

NOLA
05-06-2013, 02:02 AM
Hibs vs Wolves. Winner gets Sparky. If no winner after 90mins Moxey and Rod sort it out in the car park.

Brilliant :) in the green corner - Rod "Pound for Pound" Petrie vs. Jez "The Mammoth" Moxey

Andy74
05-06-2013, 07:29 AM

That's wrong. The extension was part of his previous contract and he couldn't talk to anyone.

GraniteCityHibs
05-06-2013, 08:08 AM
That's wrong. The extension was part of his previous contract and he couldn't talk to anyone.

That's my understanding also.

No way Hibs could get him signed up on a pre-contract if Wolves hadn't decided on his one year option.

We basically had to sit patiently and hope that they didn't extend it.

However, if the 150k deal could have been done in January (as stated above) then maybe it should have been. If that IS true (and i'm not aying it is) then we did miss out.

Maybe the club had info or reason to believe he wouldn't be getting an extension and that Wolves wanted rid (Twitter,court etc) and took a risk that didn't pay off.

Perhaps all of the uncertainty around Scottish football and finances made shelling out 150k in January (when cup income etc was not certain) just wasn't a risk they wanted to take.

Could. Maybe. If True. Perhaps....I feel like a real Scottish football journalist!!

GraniteCityHibs
05-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Brilliant :) in the green corner - Rod "Pound for Pound" Petrie vs. Jez "The Mammoth" Moxey

:faf:

Hibs7
05-06-2013, 10:13 AM
The only way Leigh will be at Hibs is if he tells Wolves.. Ok I will play for you, but I will be signing a pre contract with Hibs in January so you will get nothing ... Let me go for the agreed amount Hibs propose and we will all be happy .. End off !!

Mister P
05-06-2013, 02:50 PM
The only way Leigh will be at Hibs is if he tells Wolves.. Ok I will play for you, but I will be signing a pre contract with Hibs in January so you will get nothing ... Let me go for the agreed amount Hibs propose and we will all be happy .. End off !!

Please Leigh.... Do this!

Mister P
05-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Contract extensions!

Is it not a case that say a 2 year deal with a possible 1 year extension is actually a 3 year deal, but gives the club the opportunity to get rid of if they decide. Therefore if a player/ interested club wish to do a deal, it would be within the legalities of the original 3 year contract.
So neither hibs or Leigh were in a position to discuss the matter as Leigh was still under a legally binding contract with wolves.
Is this correct?

YehButNoBut
06-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Looking at the Wolves fans forum again they seem to be coming round to giving Sparky a chance with many thinking he'll do well in Div 3, not looking good for our chances in getting him back next season. :boo hoo:

http://www.wolvesforum.co.uk/showthread.php?21439-Griffiths-named-SPL-Player-of-the-Year

“He will absolutely be coming back here to play for us next season,” said Moxey. “We have taken up the one-year option on his contract, so he is with us and we will be working him.

“There is absolutely no way that Wolverhampton Wanderers has any interest other than having Leigh Griffiths here in the summer training with us in preparation for a League One campaign. He scored a lot of goals for Hibs and they are the one commodity that everyone wants, so why on earth wouldn’t we want to keep him? Some people have said that he was not given a chance in the last year or so and that is perhaps a fair accusation to make. So he is going to be given a chance now.”

Wolves paid £150,000 to sign Griffiths from Dundee in January 2011 but his only appearance for the club so far came in August of that year in a League Cup tie against Northampton Town. But Moxey thinks he could eventually be worth as much as Fletcher. “We know what Steven Fletcher went for, so we think Leigh could be really exciting for us,” added Moxey. “Let’s get him back here, sell him the vision and make sure that he is in tune with what we are trying to do and I think he will be. He is a good lad. He has had some troubles, but inherently I think he is a good lad. He just lost his way a bit.”

The problem with Griffiths as with ,#headsgone' is that he doesn't want to be here, whether the Club are able to change that attitude remains to be seen as his performances last seson give the impression he could run riot in this League.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Griffiths is quality. He'll easily be top scorer in League 1 if we can get his head right. Griffths and Sigurdarson up front with Cassidy and McAlinden as back up would be the best strike force this league has seen for a long time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Griffiths is young, enthusiastic - a bit of a bellend - but who isn't at that age? Especially when you earn the amount of money he does. He also has bags full of potential and even if we end up losing him for free in 12 months, if he scores 20 goals in the meantime and helps us get up to the Championship, it'll be worth it.
The bloke is clearly a monumental bellend but then again so are the majority of young football players these days. The issue I have had with him in the past is that he has shown no desire to want to play for Wolves (although I will admit the club hasn't always shown much desire to want him here). However, if he comes back in preseason, gives his all (unlike last summer) and is willing to play for us in league One then I am prepared to give him a chance to see if he really is as good as some people seem to think. If he has no interest in playing for us then I don't want him anywhere near the team and he can $#@! off back to Scotland.
The only way we will ever know if he is good enough is by getting him in the team and playing him - Jackett is the sort of manager that can handle him. Lets see what he can do.
Am I right in that though we've taken up a 1 year deal/option on him, he can still sign a pre-contract with a scottish club in january? If so, we'd have to sell the vision pretty quick to him & get him to sign an extended deal. Either that, or Jez is looking to make a sale this summer?
I see this as a no-lose scenario. If we sell him on it will be at a tidy profit on what we paid for him. Seeing as he's not played for us, that's free money.

If he comes back and bangs in 30 yarders left, right and centre he'll be a huge asset to the team, even if just for one season. No ego-stroking or treating him as a special case though. If he comes back and sulks, bomb him straight out to the reserves. He won't be on megabucks so it won't ruin us to carry him-and what better example to the young players of how their talent could be wasted if their attitude is wrong.
Just cant see it myself, and Moxey is only playing the same negotiating song he has played before. Wolves only have a one year option, so unless he agrees to sign a new contract, now is the only time they will make any money on him.
With the very handy MacAlinden lurking about. I would frankly toss Griffiths to one side. We have good enough options without worrying about whether his head is "right" or not.
Surely this is a 'No-brainer' ? With his goal record in the Scottish Premier League (regardless of what we think about the standard of football and most of the opposition), I think he would (and should) be prolific in Division Three and he wouldnt cost anything. It would also give him the chance to establish himself in English Football. Then if we got promoted he could test himself at a higher level.

Regardless of what he says, he wont turn down the chance to play for Wolves. He has to talk up a move to Hibs as he has had such a good season. Why are some fans so against him coming back here ?
Natural goalscorers are hard to find and as we have one already its really a no brainer not to use him

YehButNoBut
11-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Saw this in the DR yesterday looks like Sparky is going to be part of Wolves plans next season, hopefully not but signs not good. :rolleyes:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leigh-griffiths-believes-playing-wolves-1943050

From this article: -

“Can I be a Scotland striker in League One? I don’t see why not. “Jordan Rhodes did it at Huddersfield in League One so I just need to go down there, work hard and score goals. “It’s about trying to kick on after this season’s form.

“As long as I am doing my job and scoring goals then I will give the manager food for thought. “Obviously, League One isn’t the most competitive league in the world. But there are a lot of games to be played and, hopefully, I can do enough to earn recognition from the manager.”

Ironically, Griffiths revealed Wolves have already played a big part in enhancing his Scotland chances. Just prior to leaving for Zagreb, the striker received a morale-boosting call from new club boss Jackett and says the conversation lifted him for the Group A game.

Griffiths said: “I spoke to the new manager just before I boarded the plane to go out to Croatia.

“He said he was looking forward to working with me and that gave me a lot of confidence about going back there to start pre-season.

“I’m going to work hard to try to get myself into the team. “I have to concentrate on Wolves because my contract is there. I thought it was great of the manager to call me like that.

Fergus52
11-06-2013, 12:08 PM
The £150k was mentioned in a few papers in january before we extended his loan deal.

Which was a complete fabrication from the press anyway.

Hibs7
11-06-2013, 12:14 PM
“He said he was looking forward to working with me and that gave me a lot of confidence about going back there to start pre-season.

“I’m going to work hard to try to get myself into the team. “I have to concentrate on Wolves because my contract is there. I thought it was great of the manager to call me like that.

That doesn't come across as if he wants to be at Hibs ... Best to forget him being here I think. Shame like

Sir David Gray
11-06-2013, 12:21 PM
All the signs are pointing to him staying with Wolves.

Not looking likely that he'll be a Hibs player next year.

Mon Dieu4
11-06-2013, 12:25 PM
I would say he's being diplomatic, as much as id love him to say "Wolverhampton is a dump, **** you all" he can't burn his bridges in case things don't go the way he wants

he's just keeping everyone sweet imo

.Sean.
11-06-2013, 04:12 PM
I would say he's being diplomatic, as much as id love him to say "Wolverhampton is a dump, **** you all" he can't burn his bridges in case things don't go the way he wants

he's just keeping everyone sweet imo:agree:

I still believe he'll sign for Hibs.

Pretty Boy
11-06-2013, 04:20 PM

he's just keeping everyone sweet imo

This.

It isn't in his interests to talk down Wolves as ultimtely they will decide where his immediate future lies. As of now he's a Wolves player and it does him no good to be saying publicly he wants to be at Hibs, or elsewhere.

R'Albin
11-06-2013, 07:35 PM

I still believe he'll sign for Hibs.

Ditto.

Do you have any idea if Hibs are trying to get him in for our European ties, or if it's looking will drag on until the end of the window?

Dashing Bob S
11-06-2013, 07:54 PM
I think it'll be Wolves or Hibs next season. :wink:

.Sean.
11-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Ditto.

Do you have any idea if Hibs are trying to get him in for our European ties, or if it's looking will drag on until the end of the window?
Petrie will kick the arse out of this transfer, I reckon it will drag on but I still believe we'll sign him...

hungryhibs
11-06-2013, 09:42 PM
heard a wee rumour sparky will be launching the new away kit and his new deal at the club :hibees

Dr What If?
11-06-2013, 09:47 PM
heard a wee rumour sparky will be lunching the new away kit and his new deal at the club :hibees

How wee a rumour!!! Who What Where?????

SaulGoodman
11-06-2013, 10:52 PM
How wee a rumour!!! Who What Where?????

Don't get your hopes up, it was the same rumour for the home kit and we all know how that went..

East Coast Hibe
11-06-2013, 11:09 PM
heard a wee rumour sparky will be lunching the new away kit and his new deal at the club :hibees

I would be very very surprised if this were to happen !!

hibee92
11-06-2013, 11:14 PM

I will not get excited.
I will not get excited.
I will not get excited.
I will not get excited.
I will not get excited.

Vault Boy
11-06-2013, 11:20 PM

I'd be surprised if he could eat the whole thing, won't believe a word of it until it's announced by Hibs.

Swedish hibee
12-06-2013, 01:51 AM
I will not get excited.
I will not get excited.
I will not get excited.
I will not get excited.
I will not get excited.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggghhhhhhhhhh. How can you do this to me at nearly 4am..!!! I'll nearly get to sleep now..:I'm waiti

brydekirk
12-06-2013, 06:29 AM
I'd be surprised if he could eat the whole thing, won't believe a word of it until it's announced by Hibs.

Aye he will, we dinnae sell xxxl !

R'Albin
12-06-2013, 07:09 AM
Petrie will kick the arse out of this transfer, I reckon it will drag on but I still believe we'll sign him...

:thumbsup:

SouthMoroccoStu
12-06-2013, 07:10 AM

Hope you re not a leg puller