PDA

View Full Version : Flare or smokebomb?

Mister P
29-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Thought is open this up coz its pissing me off.

To me, a flare is something that's shot from a gun to raise alarm in the case if an emergency. Highly dangerous in crowded areas. And illegal?

A smokebomb is a small dooda that merely creates a lot of fog/smoke. Could be potentially dangerous if not handled correctly.

So when press reports go talking about fans theowing flares, are they talking pash?

For me 100% pash!

Alex Trager
29-05-2013, 03:46 PM

To me, a flare is something that's shot from a gun to raise alarm in the case if an emergency. Highly dangerous in crowded areas. And illegal?

A smokebomb is a small dooda that merely creates a lot of fog/smoke. Could be potentially dangerous if not handled correctly.

So when press reports go talking about fans theowing flares, are they talking pash?

For me 100% pash!

100% nonesense. No Hibs support this season for definite has had a flare in a ground. And I would be pretty certain that applies to previous seasons

PeeJay
29-05-2013, 03:48 PM

For me 100% pash!

Hand flares don't need to be shot from guns, apparently they have safety handles, which are often removed to smuggle them into football grounds. What I usually see in stadiums is what I would refer to as a flare, not a smoke bomb and I don't think they are safe within the confines of a football stadium...no need for them IMO

hibs4thecup1988
29-05-2013, 03:50 PM
What wa thrown on sunday a minute into kick off that caused panic in the lower south was a flare. Simple. Not just smoke. That looked like a device. I've never held or seen both together but stewards and people in first two rows seemed worried.

marinello59
29-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Hand flares don't need to be shot from guns, apparently they have safety handles, which are often removed to smuggle them into football grounds. What I usually see in stadiums is what I would refer to as a flare, not a smoke bomb and I don't think they are safe within the confines of a football stadium...no need for them IMO

Correct. A flare is a signal device or a device to light up an area. There are various delivery systems including hand held. Incidentally the courts will treat all pyrotechnics equally, you won't get a lesser sentence by trying to argue that the firework you get caught with is less harmless than others.

Hibrandenburg
29-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Tis quite simple.

Flare is designed to produce light to either illuminate an area or attract attention. It will also produce a certain amount of smoke but the smoke is a by product.

A smoke bomb/grenade is designed to produce lots of smoke but some will also produce a certain amount of heat. These are widely used in the military to give cover when troops/tanks are making a retreat or during an attack (what you can't see you can't shoot at). A grenade is designed to be thrown whereas a bomb normally isn't.

SaulGoodman
29-05-2013, 04:09 PM
Smoke bombs are also make quite a smell and are a bit annoying when your son has athsma and you want to watch a game of football without someone setting them off :wink:

FastEddieFelson
29-05-2013, 04:12 PM
a proper "flare" was once thrown from the main stand at tynecastle in the general direction of the roseburn. by flare i mean one of those things used in jurassic park to distract the tyrannosaurus rex.

this man is holding one here:

this was the only time i've ever seen one at a game of football.

though to be honest, i have limited knowledge on the subject and i was probably quite drunk, so i could be mistaken.

Mister P
29-05-2013, 04:14 PM
I'm not condoning anything, just wondered.

Seems most people don't appreciate them?

FastEddieFelson
29-05-2013, 04:16 PM
a proper "flare" was once thrown from the main stand at tynecastle in the general direction of the roseburn. by flare i mean one of those things used in jurassic park to distract the tyrannosaurus rex.

this man is holding one here:

this was the only time i've ever seen one at a game of football.

though to be honest, i have limited knowledge on the subject and i was probably quite drunk, so i could be mistaken.

nb. this is not to be mistaken with the time (this season) a smokebomb was thrown from the wheatfield stand into the roseburn.

these edinburgh derbies are mental though eh?

frazeHFC
I dont think ive ever seen a green flare in the flesh, the ones used at Hibs games appear to be smoke bombs 99% of the time. Watch the tynie corteo video, the red ones that went off with a bang are flares and the green ones are smoke bombs.

pontius pilate
Tis quite simple.

Flare is designed to produce light to either illuminate an area or attract attention. It will also produce a certain amount of smoke but the smoke is a by product.

A smoke bomb/grenade is designed to produce lots of smoke but some will also produce a certain amount of heat. These are widely used in the military to give cover when troops/tanks are making a retreat or during an attack (what you can't see you can't shoot at). A grenade is designed to be thrown whereas a bomb normally isn't.

That is the correct way to put it into context what I would add to that is also mini flares which in the wrong hands are very dangerous.

SaulGoodman
29-05-2013, 04:20 PM
For the gamers, flares light up and blind you, smoke bombs are often thrown round corners when you mistake them for flasbangs, usually alerting everyone to your presence in the most embarrassing of ways

pontius pilate
29-05-2013, 04:22 PM
My tuppence worth is the affect they have on others in attendance from asthma sufferers to those with a nervous disposition to guys who are forces or ex forces personnel who may be suffering from PTSD when these it's get set off the consequences can be quite horrific not only for the sufferers but those in the immediate area.
Based on that I would rather they stayed away from football and be used in the capacity that they are designed for

Greendub
29-05-2013, 04:55 PM
For the gamers, flares light up and blind you, smoke bombs are often thrown round corners when you mistake them for flasbangs, usually alerting everyone to your presence in the most embarrassing of ways

Yep, that sounds about right haha

oconnors_strip
29-05-2013, 04:57 PM
What wa thrown on sunday a minute into kick off that caused panic in the lower south was a flare. Simple. Not just smoke. That looked like a device. I've never held or seen both together but stewards and people in first two rows seemed worried.

They were worried as it landed on and beside people in wheelchairs!

Devilstorment
29-05-2013, 04:58 PM
What is the sudden obsession with these flares/smoke grenades?!?

One landed just infront of me at the Final after the worlds most pathetic throw, just a pointless distraction (same with the ones in the Celtic end)

Gus Fring
29-05-2013, 05:19 PM
I've never been at nay football match and thought "That was a cracking match but a cheeky wee smoke bomb or flare would have made it better". They are an annoyance at best and a safety hazard at worse

LancashireHibby
29-05-2013, 07:06 PM
All impact has been diluted by them being at virtually every game you go to these days. There were no less than half a dozen when I went to Hednesford v FC United the other week FFS.

LancashireHibby
29-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Right on cue, smokebomb at Wembley.

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Right on cue, smokebomb at Wembley.

Or was it a flare? :greengrin

LancashireHibby
29-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Or was it a flare? :greengrin
Someone had better explain the difference to Clive Tyldesley at halftime.

Hibernia Na Eir
29-05-2013, 07:17 PM
maybe the engerlish trying to get at Ireland once again??

LancashireHibby
29-05-2013, 07:19 PM
maybe the engerlish trying to get at Ireland once again??
What, a green smokebomb thrown on to the pitch, clearly from the Irish section? Odd theory.

Harpandcastle
29-05-2013, 09:01 PM
What, a green smokebomb thrown on to the pitch, clearly from the Irish section? Odd theory.

I recall a flare being set off at Ibrox years ago. Hibs support were in wing of main stand and said flare was fired into enclosure below. Hundogs occupying enclosure had to move sharpish as flare pinged about off terrace steps before heading up into roof of stand. Sure a green smoke bomb had been let off at Love St a few weeks earlier.

Devilstorment
29-05-2013, 09:04 PM
I've never been at nay football match and thought "That was a cracking match but a cheeky wee smoke bomb or flare would have made it better". They are an annoyance at best and a safety hazard at worse

:greengrin

clerriehibs
29-05-2013, 09:09 PM

For me 100% pash!

Anyone that chucks either is a tosser, in more ways than one.

Suburban Hibby
29-05-2013, 09:10 PM
I recall a flare being set off at Ibrox years ago. Hibs support were in wing of main stand and said flare was fired into enclosure below. Hundogs occupying enclosure had to move sharpish as flare pinged about off terrace steps before heading up into roof of stand. Sure a green smoke bomb had been let off at Love St a few weeks earlier.
Flare got fired by Hibs in the main stand but got caught in the overhead netting, melted through and dropped in the enclosure.

Probably fortunate it hit the netting, these things fairly travel.

Glorious
29-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Saw a bunch of young 'uns who had a green smoke bomb for the final, mistakenly let it off near the Langside boozer a few hours before kick off. Was kind of glad it didn't make it into the ground but it made terrible green scorch marks on the lovely Glasgow pavements :rolleyes:

wookie70
29-05-2013, 09:45 PM
The flares we use whilst Sea Kayaking are small, handheld and are safe enough when you have to use them. They are entirely inappropriate to be deployed in a crowded Stadium but the same would go for a smoke bomb. Hibs fans should know better after the CS gas a good few years back. Any smoke device could potentially cause panic not to mention prove dangerous for those with breathing difficulties. Is it really worth a criminal record and a lifetime ban. Just sing a wee bit louder if you want more atmosphere.

leithsansiro
30-05-2013, 07:50 AM

Absolutely was! The darn thing (effectively looks like a tin can with a hole in it) landed just in front of me, smack back amongst the wheelchairs for fans with disabilities. Well done to the lad who then chucked it away from them.

s.a.m
30-05-2013, 08:02 AM

Spot on. Both bits.

Killiehibbie
30-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Flare got fired by Hibs in the main stand but got caught in the overhead netting, melted through and dropped in the enclosure.

Probably fortunate it hit the netting, these things fairly travel.If he'd got the trajectory right it was going in to the Govan. I think we all might've been in trouble.

Bill Milne
30-05-2013, 08:21 AM

I was at this game and remember the flare going off. As it was in the Main (wooden) Stand, it was a remarkably dangerous thing to do. Bear in mind, us 400 Hibbies were penned in to the extreme left hand upper bit of the stand and would have found it very difficult to get out. Mind you, I went up like a rocket myself when Bomber Harris scored the winner with minutes left!!

Captain Trips
30-05-2013, 08:30 AM
FYI the green smoke that came from Celtic end on Sunday was neither a flare or smokebomb, It was due to their fans lifting arms above head for their display.

jacomo
30-05-2013, 09:16 AM

Nope, but I've been at a few matches where I've thought 'This is rubbish, could do with a bit of theatre from the crowd to liven things up'.

:wink: