PDA

View Full Version : Hibs sign Owain Tudur Jones (2 year deal confirmed)

Pages : [1] 2

CRAZYHIBBY
29-05-2013, 11:48 AM
In todays news ....looking at tudor jones from caley....any good?

DH1875
29-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Not for me. No thanks.

allezsauzee
29-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Not really the type of player we need

bingo70
29-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Lot of attacking players getting credit for caley but they couldn't do that without a good defensive midfielder so I think he must have something about him.

Another defensive midfielder though has me a bit concerned, I'm hoping now we don't keep claros or Thomson (and obviously deegan). Having otd, taiwo,stevenson and Robertson that can play that position is too many for a club working with our budget.

DH1875
29-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Lot of attacking players getting credit for caley but they couldn't do that without a good defensive midfielder so I think he must have something about him.

Another defensive midfielder though has me a bit concerned, I'm hoping now we don't keep claros or Thomson (and obviously deegan). Having otd, taiwo,stevenson and Robertson that can play that position is too many for a club working with our budget.

If he signs it's a clear indication that neither Claros or Thomson will be staying and I know who I'd prefer. No thanks.

Part/Time Supporter
29-05-2013, 12:16 PM
The one point the EEN article makes about him that is different to Hibs midfielders this season is that he is 6' 3 tall. If Williams (who is really a line goalkeeper) is going to continue as #1 then they really need more height in the midfield and forward areas.

Heisenberg
29-05-2013, 12:16 PM
I dont think Thomson will stay. Think we'll struggle with Claros too.

A midfield of: Taiwo OTJ Craig, Looks pretty decent.

Devilstorment
29-05-2013, 12:21 PM

..... :confused::confused:

I would take Claros personally.... any and everyday

JohnStephens91
29-05-2013, 12:22 PM
He has a pretty poor disciplinary record I believe? Did he not stick the nut on a player this season and go in very late on another? Has at least two red cards this season, our entire team this season picked up one.

bigwheel
29-05-2013, 12:27 PM
He was was and shoulders their best player at the last game at Easter Road ...would be more than happy to have him here

bingo70
29-05-2013, 12:28 PM

I'm not saying I'd rather have otd than claros, I'm saying I don't think there's room for both of them and if otd has signed then that unfortunately will need to bring an end to claros spell with the club.

Stevie Reid
29-05-2013, 12:28 PM
He has a pretty poor disciplinary record I believe? Did he not stick the nut on a player this season and go in very late on another? Has at least two red cards this season, our entire team this season picked up one.

Sent off twice and booked 3 times last season.

JimBHibees
29-05-2013, 12:31 PM
I think he would do a job for Hibs, a big player in the middle of the park who can do the simple thing and scored a few goals this season would strengthen our team IMO.

Speedway
29-05-2013, 12:32 PM
He was was and shoulders their best player at the last game at Easter Road ...would be more than happy to have him here

:agree:

Devilstorment
29-05-2013, 12:34 PM
I'm not saying I'd rather have otd than claros, I'm saying I don't think there's room for both of them and if otd has signed then that unfortunately will need to bring an end to claros spell with the club.

unfortunately you are probably right. I would happily see us offload KT and Deegan (and Robertson) though to balance the books and keep Claros

Stevie Reid
29-05-2013, 12:34 PM
I think he would do a job for Hibs, a big player in the middle of the park who can do the simple thing and scored a few goals this season would strengthen our team IMO.

I can see a midfield with options from Taiwo, Robertson, OTJ and Craig being able to win battles and play football, depending on what's necessary.

Plenty people have complained about us not matching teams like ICT and St. Johnstone's ability to find good players on a small budget - surely signings such as OTJ and Craig are to be welcomed, as (on paper) they strengthen us and weaken opposition who finished higher than us in the top 4 of the SPL.

JimBHibees
29-05-2013, 12:36 PM
I can see a midfield with options from Taiwo, Robertson, OTJ and Craig being able to win battles and play football, depending on what's necessary.

Plenty people have complained about us not matching teams like ICT and St. Johnstone's ability to find good players on a small budget - surely signings such as OTJ and Craig are to be welcomed, as (on paper) they strengthen us and weaken opposition who finished higher than us in the top 4 of the SPL.

Completely agree make us stronger and them weaker makes sense.

Speedway
29-05-2013, 12:38 PM

I also like the apparent speed of our singings this time around, as if we've had this planned and are getting our top targets. Craig, OTJ and McGivern seemingly in the door and terms apparently offered to four other players.

Stevie Reid
29-05-2013, 12:42 PM
I also like the apparent speed of our singings this time around, as if we've had this planned and are getting our top targets. Craig, OTJ and McGivern seemingly in the door and terms apparently offered to four other players.

Yes, good to get business done early (with the right players) with a shorter summer break this year. I thought the second half of McGivern's loan spell was disappointing in comparison to the first, but his pedigree, age (23), international experience, height, and ability to play LB and CB will make him a good addition. Could make us some money is he plays to his full potential too.

Good to know that other deals are on the table too.

Brightside
29-05-2013, 12:45 PM
OTJ has already signed. Everyone will be signed up prior to pre-season training.

Devilstorment
29-05-2013, 12:47 PM

unfortunately you are probably right. I would happily see us offload KT and Deegan (and Robertson) though to balance the books and keep Claros

SMAXXA
29-05-2013, 12:47 PM

SMAXXA
29-05-2013, 12:50 PM

Id rather we kept Claros, KT and got OTJ, we will be losing a number of players from the current squad and we all know its a long season (Europe) especially with injuries and suspensions. We need to start getting that bit more strength in depth and we cant afford to let guys of the quality of Claros and KT slip through our fingers just cause we have another 2 or 3 options in similar positions. Prior to them signing I would have preferred both of them to Craig, Robertson and OTJ.

Beefster
29-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Necessary signing. I don't think fourteen defensive midfielders is excessive.

Mikey
29-05-2013, 01:03 PM
When does the window open? Is it 1st June?

RoYO!
29-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Very highly rated by ict fan at work. And they did finish above us :p

hibby rae
29-05-2013, 01:28 PM

I had the same thought. It makes sense if we're to continue to improve and catch up with the opposition. Though the thought does make me feel dirty, like I'm an old firm supporter.

Andy74
29-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Central midfielders to me are midfielders, not categorised to defensive or offensive. Could we do with one that's 6'3"? Yes, with the type of teams that we struggle against this is a useful asset to have. He can play a bit and is an international.

Let's not forget he's comfortable in the Highlands - some results up there could be the key to a much higher finish.

GordonHFC
29-05-2013, 01:54 PM
When does the window open? Is it 1st June?

I am almost certain that it starts on 1 July 2013 (it is for international transfers) although transfers between clubs in the same association can take place as soon as the last competitive fixtures for the season have been played. However, many transfers will not be completed until 1 July because many players' contracts expire on 30 June.

HFC 0-7
29-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Central midfielders to me are midfielders, not categorised to defensive or offensive. Could we do with one that's 6'3"? Yes, with the type of teams that we struggle against this is a useful asset to have. He can play a bit and is an international.

Let's not forget he's comfortable in the Highlands - some results up there could be the key to a much higher finish.

there is definately defensive midfielders and attacking midfielders. We have defensive ones, the hold the position and never get ahead of the forwards. IMO we need attacking midfielders to support the forwards more and get ahead of them when needs be. In saying that we need a system and a back 4 that can cope with having attacking midfielders. If the back 4 need a lot of protection then defensive midfielders are a must.

On OTJI think he would be a good addition purely because of his height, we really struggle to win goals kicks etc and that little bit of added height would be great in this area and at corners both defending and attacking.

I know people will moan that we have too many of the same players at the moment but I think we need to be patient and wait and see what pans out. As others have said we could lose 2 of those defensive midfielders.

heretoday
29-05-2013, 02:24 PM
The third Jones we've had in the last 50 years. Mervyn Jones was a solid and speedy left back in the early 70s and of course the great Rob Jones.

So there you go.

MB62
29-05-2013, 02:38 PM

I've mentioned it elsewhere but it looks as though Claros will be playing his fitba in America next season, bit of a sickener really as I would love to have signed him on a permanent deal.

K.T.'s days are finished, IMO, as I don't think he has the legs anymore to play at our level, thought Sunday showed him up a bit, so wouldn't like to see him back next season.

Billy Whizz
29-05-2013, 02:54 PM
The third Jones we've had in the last 50 years. Mervyn Jones was a solid and speedy left back in the early 70s and of course the great Rob Jones.

So there you go.

So we can get our old song back
Jones, always believe T Jones

Billy Whizz
29-05-2013, 02:56 PM
I've mentioned it elsewhere but it looks as though Claros will be playing his fitba in America next season, bit of a sickener really as I would love to have signed him on a permanent deal.

K.T.'s days are finished, IMO, as I don't think he has the legs anymore to play at our level, thought Sunday showed him up a bit, so wouldn't like to see him back next season.

Where are you hearing about Claros? Would have thought hibs would be trying to keep Kevin Thomson, if Claros is moving on! Kevin probably needs a good preseason, would hate to lose both of them

hibsbollah
29-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Unless he's a replacement for a defensive midfielder we already have who is being allowed to leave, im surprised at this. He doesnt have a good goalscoring record which is what we need from midfield. Unless Cairney finds his mojo again all our attacking midfield capability comes from one 18 year old. A Zemmama type or a Harris replicant is what we need.Im sure Fenlon knows this, mind you.

JeMeSouviens
29-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Unless he's a replacement for a defensive midfielder we already have who is being allowed to leave, im surprised at this. He doesnt have a good goalscoring record which is what we need from midfield. Unless Cairney finds his mojo again all our attacking midfield capability comes from one 18 year old. A Zemmama type or a Harris replicant is what we need.Im sure Fenlon knows this, mind you.

Hopefully Liam Craig and Scott Robertson will both be chipping in with a few goals. Rumours we're after Paddy McCourt as well.

CapitalHibs
29-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Would love to see Pat in for Greg Wylde again and play this:
Harris Robertson Craig Wylde

Then depending who we're playing :

1) Plus 2 strikers up font

2) or 1 striker plus 1 holding (OTJ)

3) or I striker plus 2 holding (OTJ and Taiwo) ...Robertson or Craig drops to the bench.

Perfect attacking midfield combination of speed, skill, balance, power and height in 1 and 2.

#3 might be useful for away games in Europe

andrew70
29-05-2013, 03:30 PM
OTJ has already signed. Everyone will be signed up prior to pre-season training.

Quite a significant change in transfer policy. For the best, may I add. I look forward to seeing who is coming in. I think there may be a couple of surprise and unfortunate departures this summer though, especially, in the case of one centre half.

CapitalHibs
29-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Quite a significant change in transfer policy. For the best, may I add. I look forward to seeing who is coming in. I think there may be a couple of surprise and unfortunate departures this summer though, especially, in the case of one centre half.

Yep. I think with the haste that McGivern was signed I reckon James McPake must be totally buggered.

Tom Hart RIP
29-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Had never noticed OTJ until the last time they played us at Easter Road and thought he was best player on the park. Reminded me of rocastle a bit.
Delighted with the news

andrew70
29-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Yep. I think with the haste that McGivern was signed I reckon James McPake must be totally buggered.

I think we may see Paul Hanlon leave this summer as well.

Billy Whizz
29-05-2013, 03:49 PM

Hardly

Beefster
29-05-2013, 04:08 PM

Nah.

Leighonel
29-05-2013, 04:09 PM

I rarely notice the quality of other players, too busy concentrating on hibs, but the last time we played ict at er he was really good.

andrew70
29-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Nah.

Hardly

Hanlon is very highly rated by several clubs down south.

CB_NO3
29-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Would defo take Tudor Jones. Always been impressed by him. He just got into the Wales squad too. He likes to have a pop at goal too. Am not fussed about KT leaving, he aint showed much in his time here IMO. Doesn't look like he will ever get fully fit.

CapitalHibs
29-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Hanlon is very highly rated by several clubs down south.

Liverpool rumoured to be interested in Paul 2 seasons ago.

lucky
29-05-2013, 04:18 PM
OTJ would a great signing, he brings strength, height and aggression to the midfield and that is a must in the SPL. KT looks like his legs have gone and Claros will only be at ER if there is no transfer fee involved. Twaio has done ok and Robertson has been awful so another midfielder is required.

andrew70
29-05-2013, 04:27 PM
OTJ would a great signing, he brings strength, height and aggression to the midfield and that is a must in the SPL. KT looks like his legs have gone and Claros will only be at ER if there is no transfer fee involved. Twaio has done ok and Robertson has been awful so another midfielder is required.

Robertson will be a big player for us next season. Once he gets a good pre season and some more game time.

DaveF
29-05-2013, 04:29 PM
With the distinct possibilty of losing Claros, Deegan, Thomson and Wotherspoon I think OTJ would be a great addition.

Really hope he signs.

hfc rd
29-05-2013, 04:38 PM
I'd be very happy with this move. OTJ has been an excellent player for ICT. I think Deegan and Thomson will move on this summer and Claros is still 50-50, so basically we may still be in for one more of that sort of midfield player. Buaben? Gomis?.

RIP Bestie
29-05-2013, 04:40 PM

Maybe the reason for a bottom six finish

JollyGreenGiant
29-05-2013, 04:42 PM
With the distinct possibilty of losing Claros, Deegan, Thomson and Wotherspoon I think OTJ would be a great addition.

Really hope he signs.

So, OTJ has possibly signed, but what's with all the 'possibly losing Claros' comments on here today - have I missed something?

LeighLoyal
29-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Height? Let's bring back that stick Derek Townsley next then :confused: Claros or Thomson please.

Devilstorment
29-05-2013, 04:55 PM
I have to admint, I havent really be aware of this OTJ character... other than that 1 game against us.

My gut feeling is that its a sideways step comparable to what we have already

DH1875
29-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Would defo take Tudor Jones. Always been impressed by him. He just got into the Wales squad too. He likes to have a pop at goal too. Am not fussed about KT leaving, he aint showed much in his time here IMO. Doesn't look like he will ever get fully fit.

Remind me, how many goals has he scored this season :confused:

Vault Boy
29-05-2013, 05:08 PM
[/B]

Maybe the reason for a bottom six finish

Having 11 players in most matches? :confused:

If it's a lack of commitment you're trying to point out, I don't think that's fair at all.

Dibben
29-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Robertson will be a big player for us next season. Once he gets a good pre season and some more game time.

Agree 100%

Hopefully a proper pre season will allow us to see the best of him!

EdinMike
29-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Hopefully Liam Craig and Scott Robertson will both be chipping in with a few goals. Rumours we're after Paddy McCourt as well.

Did I fall asleep in my Time Machine again... :cb

CapitalHibs
29-05-2013, 05:16 PM
So, OTJ has possibly signed, but what's with all the 'possibly losing Claros' comments on here today - have I missed something?

IMO Claros has been outstanding for us. Don't think this will have gone unoticed by other clubs. Still has a year left on his Honduran Club contract. Reportedly they are looking for 800,000 pounds for him. Doubt very much if the Tache's pockets are anywhere near that deep:greengrin

JollyGreenGiant
29-05-2013, 05:24 PM
IMO Claros has been outstanding for us. Don't think this will have gone unoticed by other clubs. Still has a year left on his Honduran Club contract. Reportedly they are looking for 800,000 pounds for him. Doubt very much if the Tache's pockets are anywhere near that deep:greengrin

£800,000 when he only has 1 year left on his contract :bye:

He has had 1 decent season for us, and I would like him to stay, but no way is he worth that much.

adhibs
29-05-2013, 05:35 PM
£800,000 when he only has 1 year left on his contract :bye:

He has had 1 decent season for us, and I would like him to stay, but no way is he worth that much.

If hibs where in any position to pay that hed be worth every penny

Big Sexy Dave
29-05-2013, 06:30 PM
In todays news ....looking at tudor jones from caley....any good?
Is that you in the picture? genuinely surprised but delighted by this signing.

RIP Bestie
29-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Having 11 players in most matches? :confused:

If it's a lack of commitment you're trying to point out, I don't think that's fair at all.

Its not about commitment. It's about having the ability to boss a midfield and let the other team know you're there and let them worry about you. No doubt that both Claros and Taiwo are good players and both have shown commitment but in my opinion they are not the type of players who dictate the play from the middle of the park. A fit Kevin Thomson is capable of this. My point was that our midfield are maybe just to "nice"

Tyler Durden
29-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Although I'm not always convinced by Fenlon, the majority of his permanent signings have been solid IMO and Tudor-Jones would be an excellent signing. He's been superb for ICT and definitely would give us a physical presence we're missing in midfield.

If we do sign him, as well as Liam Craig, we'll have brought in 2 of the best frees available this year. Guys like Shinnie and probably Higdon have attracted so much attention that they're out of our reach. OTJ & Craig are very solid SPL players and are the sort that have served Hearts well in recent years.

I'm in the minority in being happy to see Claros go, not to dwell on that but with Craig and Tudor-Jones we have different types of centre mids and that can give us a better balance. Which we've lacked last season.

With those 2 plus Taiwo and Robertson we'll have enough central options and should focus on a wide man and strikers.

Again, if true credit to Hibs for getting business done early.

Northern Hibby
29-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Maybe mentioned already but we are actually doing deals and the season has just finished this is progress yes?

brog
29-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Its not about commitment. It's about having the ability to boss a midfield and let the other team know you're there and let them worry about you. No doubt that both Claros and Taiwo are good players and both have shown commitment but in my opinion they are not the type of players who dictate the play from the middle of the park. A fit Kevin Thomson is capable of this. My point was that our midfield are maybe just to "nice"

He's scored as many goals for ICT as Claros, Stevenson & Taiwo combined in their Hibs careers!

NorthNorfolkHFC
29-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Easy. We have done one deal (McGivern) who is hardly not tried and tested. Craig was already signed and Forster is just a new contract.

Doesn't exactly constitute a great amount of business. Correct me if I'm wrong but was McPake not signed early then a drought took place?

Loads of movement doesn't really amount to progress either. I would hardly say five signings in one week would please me.

Franck Le God
29-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Easy. We have done one deal (McGivern) who is hardly not tried and tested. Craig was already signed and Forster is just a new contract.

Doesn't exactly constitute a great amount of business. Correct me if I'm wrong but was McPake not signed early then a drought took place?

Loads of movement doesn't really amount to progress either. I would hardly say five signings in one week would please me.

So what would Hibs have to had done by now to please you?

NorthNorfolkHFC
29-05-2013, 07:30 PM
So what would Hibs have to had done by now to please you?

Nothing, i was just replying to an earlier comment that suggested one player signed, one rumoured and one young lad meant that we had progressed.

Progress is a lot more than making 5 or 6 six mid June signings but calm yourself down, i'm actually quite happy with the transfer window so far.

Iggy Pope
29-05-2013, 07:33 PM

Nothing, i was just replying to an earlier comment that suggested one player signed, one rumoured and one young lad meant that we had progressed.

Progress is a lot more than making 5 or 6 six mid June signings but calm yourself down, i'm actually quite happy with the transfer window so far.

So you're just blethering then?

CB_NO3
29-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Ok he has only scored 2 but thats more than Claros, KT, Taiwo, Stevenson and Deegan. He is not scared to have a pop from distance and ICT have had a few goals from rebounds of his.

DH1875
29-05-2013, 08:04 PM
He's scored as many goals for ICT as Claros, Stevenson & Taiwo combined in their Hibs careers!

What's Stevenson got to do with it :confused:.

NorthNorfolkHFC
29-05-2013, 08:12 PM
So you're just blethering then?

Just saying that one signing doesn't constitute progress.

I am happy with McGivern, its a good start. Big Jones would be another good signing but i couldn't care less i the signings are made quickly or we take our time. We need the right men in the right positions.

H1bs6H3arts2 FC
29-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Ok he has only scored 2 but thats more than Claros, KT, Taiwo, Stevenson and Deegan. He is not scared to have a pop from distance and ICT have had a few goals from rebounds of his.

...plus he scored a peach against the yams IIRC! He will do for me :agree:

CB_NO3
29-05-2013, 08:28 PM
He is one of our midfield options or has been over the years.

Jonnyboy
29-05-2013, 08:35 PM

I am happy with McGivern, its a good start. Big Jones would be another good signing but i couldn't care less i the signings are made quickly or we take our time. We need the right men in the right positions.

Have just phoned Messi to tell him we're holding off on the announcement until we've another couple of signings lined up :wink:

brog
29-05-2013, 08:45 PM

Of course it does, just as one goal, one point or one place more would constitute progress. FWIW I agree your general point so lets wait until window closes & see where we are but if these signings are confirmed I think we're on right track.

keep the faith
29-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Would definitely rather keep Thommo and Claros and focus on bringing in a full back, a centre half and 2 strikers along with Craig.

I don't mind OTJ, but Kevin and Jorge are better players and I can only imagine we have no chance of keeping them if we are signing another central midfielder.

A real shame, as was looking forward to seeing the pair along with Taiwo as a settled midfield next season with Harris and Craig on each side.

GraniteCityHibs
29-05-2013, 09:09 PM
'Owain Tudor Jones and before you ask....no I don't.'

Honestly, every time I see his name.

500miles
29-05-2013, 09:24 PM
I will be DELIGHTED if we sign him. IF for no other reason we can get back to singing my favourite chant.

ALWAYS BELIEVE IN................JONES!

Winston Ingram
29-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Had never noticed OTJ until the last time they played us at Easter Road and thought he was best player on the park. Reminded me of rocastle a bit.
Delighted with the news

He was superb in that game. :agree:

Winston Ingram
29-05-2013, 09:35 PM

...cos he's a midfielder?

DH1875
29-05-2013, 09:47 PM
...cos he's a midfielder?

Indeed. My original point though is that I'd rather have Claros and/or Thomson ahead of OTJ. At no point did I bring Stevenson into it :confused:. For what it's worth though, Stevenson should have started the cup final.

ggth
29-05-2013, 09:55 PM

I would not, unless your happy to have a player running and passing from side line to side line
what we need is a box to box attacking midfielder.

we used to have that kind of player who would achieve 10 goals per season..
how many have our existing midfielders scored???? next to ****** all

not good enough hence league position

with our budget and supporters should be aiming for 2nd or 3rd in the league, and cup finals, with only having Celtic in the league anything else is a not acceptable

too many happy clappers here, we should be looking to win all the time........

SaulGoodman
29-05-2013, 10:40 PM
I would not, unless your happy to have a player running and passing from side line to side line
what we need is a box to box attacking midfielder.

we used to have that kind of player who would achieve 10 goals per season..
how many have our existing midfielders scored???? next to ****** all

not good enough hence league position

with our budget and supporters should be aiming for 2nd or 3rd in the league, and cup finals, with only having Celtic in the league anything else is a not acceptable

too many happy clappers here, we should be looking to win all the time........
I don't understand how you constantly put the boot into one of our best players

CB_NO3
29-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Indeed. My original point though is that I'd rather have Claros and/or Thomson ahead of OTJ. At no point did I bring Stevenson into it :confused:. For what it's worth though, Stevenson should have started the cup final.
I would rather have claros too but unless your going to fork out 300k then its no going to happen. KT has done nothing in the 2 months here to suggest he is still a top player. Jones has got into the Wales squad and KT is miles away from getting into the worst Scotland team ever as things stand.

sbell1875
29-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Craig, McGivern and now Jones it seems. Very happy thus far with our transfer dealings.

Keep it up PF!

CallumLaidlaw
29-05-2013, 11:05 PM
'Owain Tudor Jones and before you ask....no I don't.'

Honestly, every time I see his name.

:tee hee: me too :aok:

Iain G
29-05-2013, 11:41 PM
there is definately defensive midfielders and attacking midfielders. We have defensive ones, the hold the position and never get ahead of the forwards. IMO we need attacking midfielders to support the forwards more and get ahead of them when needs be. In saying that we need a system and a back 4 that can cope with having attacking midfielders. If the back 4 need a lot of protection then defensive midfielders are a must.

On OTJI think he would be a good addition purely because of his height, we really struggle to win goals kicks etc and that little bit of added height would be great in this area and at corners both defending and attacking.

I know people will moan that we have too many of the same players at the moment but I think we need to be patient and wait and see what pans out. As others have said we could lose 2 of those defensive midfielders.

The likelyhood is that Claros will go back to his club as we won't be able to afford the fee; Thomson will likely go unless he is reasonable on wages; Deegan will go as could Wotherspoon; Done is off aswell.

Craig is already coming in but we do need to add to that midfield, if this guy is any good and has proved himself in Scottish football and is available in our price bracket he will be a sound and solid addition to the squad, hopefully in the Matty Jack role :greengrin

I like the suggestion that we are planning ahead, there are some good, proven players coming off contract in Scotland and we should be looking to offer the best of them a decent contract :agree:

RIP Bestie
30-05-2013, 01:10 AM
I would rather have claros too but unless your going to fork out 300k then its no going to happen. KT has done nothing in the 2 months here to suggest he is still a top player. Jones has got into the Wales squad and KT is miles away from getting into the worst Scotland team ever as things stand.

You have clearly never played the game at any level. It was clear to see Kevin was head and shoulders above what he was playing with in terms of reading the game and leading the team. And yes I include Claros in that. Problem was he obviously needs a good pre-season to get to the level of fitness required.
Give me Kevin over Jones any day of the week. I'm sure Gordon Strachan is aware of Kevin's ability and would be watching his progress very closely over the coming season. I don't think it's a good argument to compare a players selection for one national team with another. Especially when one of those players has had some serious injury problems in the time the other has gained his caps.

CB_NO3
30-05-2013, 05:22 AM
You have clearly never played the game at any level. It was clear to see Kevin was head and shoulders above what he was playing with in terms of reading the game and leading the team. And yes I include Claros in that. Problem was he obviously needs a good pre-season to get to the level of fitness required.
Give me Kevin over Jones any day of the week. I'm sure Gordon Strachan is aware of Kevin's ability and would be watching his progress very closely over the coming season. I don't think it's a good argument to compare a players selection for one national team with another. Especially when one of those players has had some serious injury problems in the time the other has gained his caps.
Other than the second half v Hearts and the Aberdeen game he has not done nothing that good. Dont get me wrong he has played out of position the last few games with him starting left mid. He has been the slowest player on the park and his fitness looks no better now than it did 7 weeks ago. Claros breaks up the play 10 times to KTs 3 times in a game. Claros makes 70 yard runs at times to win the ball back. No doubt Thomson is a better passer of the ball in general but I think Thomson is defo struggling fitness wise. Thomson only wants Hibs as last resort as he has said England would be his main choice again but he wont rule out staying at Hibs. We are not in a position to sit and wait about for KT to make up his mind are we? Dont get me wrong Thomson has achieved more in the game than OTJ will ever achieve but what I have seen of the guy ticks all the boxes for me. He is very powerful, he has strength and pace and is the type of midfielder that would fit into Fenlons team.

Breaking the bank to give 3-4k a week to a half fit Thomson doesn't really appeal to me knowing his legs can go any minute. I also find it strange that no team was willing to give him a contract. This is a guy that has had Scotland caps, won league titles played in a Uefa cup final yet cant get a deal other than an average SPL side.

Winston Ingram
30-05-2013, 06:36 AM

Agreed:agree:

Iggy Pope
30-05-2013, 06:56 AM

Aye OK.
You've gone from blethering to stating the bleeding obvious.

And if these right men are available the best thing is to move quick before another club does.

Rapid 'progress'......

keep the faith
30-05-2013, 07:23 AM

Yep. I agree with everthing said here.

lord bunberry
30-05-2013, 07:25 AM

Not another "you've never played the game" so you don't know what your talking about post. I'm so grateful that we have legends of the game like you on here to keep us clueless idiots up to date with who's worth keeping and who's not

PeterboroHibee
30-05-2013, 08:16 AM
Im happy with this, will bring something new to the team and has played a fair number of SPL games over the last couple of seasons for a team who have been alot better than us. Keeping Claros would have been nice but we will have Taiwo, Stevenson, Craig, Robertson, possibly OTJ, and Stanton who can play in midfield, dont think theres any need to be overloaded with any more central midfielders when we desperately need the wages used elsewhere (eg upfront).

hibsbollah
30-05-2013, 08:20 AM

You think Thomson has been 'head and shoulders' above Claros in the midfield since he arrived? And then chuck about accusations about people not knowing what theyre talking about? Dearie me.

JDHibs
30-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Very good signing,

Between him and Craig we have 2 proven solid SPL players, alot better than scowering the lower english leagues in the past and picking up journeymen!

Happy Hibee

blackpoolhibs
30-05-2013, 08:21 AM

I have never been a chef, but i know a damn good meal when i eat one.

brog
30-05-2013, 09:09 AM
I didn't scroll back to read all your comments, I responded to what I thought was a somewhat daft question saying "remind me how many goals he's scored this season". You asked so I reminded you he'd scored more than the total that 3 of our regular midfield players scored all season. If goal scoring was only criteria then Spoony & Cairney would have been on pitch on Sunday rather than in stand.
FWIW I would also have played Lewis on Sunday.

Bukta#8
30-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Would be a magnificent signing for us
I was really impressed by his performlast game at Easter road , was tall , athletic ,strong and linked well with the front pair.Would also mean we could reinstate spandou ballets greatest hits Bach on the songsheet
Always believe in Tudor-Jones

GreenOnions
30-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Central midfield is an area where quite a few options are required. I remember when Mowbray signed Michael Stewart. I had trouble understanding it as we already had Beuzelin, Brown and Thomson who were always going to be first picks plus squad players in addition. As it turned out - with injuries, suspensions and the requirement to deploy "horses for courses" - Stewart became an important player for us and normally played when he was available.

For me - as has been mentioned a couple of times above - I think the question is about balance and different options. I really like both Claros and Kevin Thomson and, in an ideal world, we would keep them both. However, I also believe that in the modern game physical presence and a bit of height are important components in most teams.

I do not want a team of giants who can't play football the way most Hibs fans want to see it played. However, I do believe that, to balance what we have in other areas of the team, we need the sort of thing that a player such as Tudor-Jones seems to be able to offer. Whether he's the right guy or not I really don't know but, if I were Pat Fenlon, I would be looking for someone like him for central midfield as well as a striker with physical presence.

Being realistic (and assuming Deegan will be leaving) we would not be able to sign someone like Tudor-Jones and keep both Claros and KT. However, IMHO, if possible I still think we should do our best to keep one of them. That would give options of Robertson, Taiwo, Thomson or Claros, Tudor-Jones and Craig with Stevenson as our "utility" squad player covering defensive areas as well. FWIW - if it came to the choice I would do all I could to keep Kevin Thomson. He's a class act and, if we afford him the same understanding that was (perhaps belatedly) offered to Claros, he will really show that next year with a full pre-season behind him.

RIP Bestie
30-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Other than the second half v Hearts and the Aberdeen game he has not done nothing that good. Dont get me wrong he has played out of position the last few games with him starting left mid. He has been the slowest player on the park and his fitness looks no better now than it did 7 weeks ago. Claros breaks up the play 10 times to KTs 3 times in a game. Claros makes 70 yard runs at times to win the ball back. No doubt Thomson is a better passer of the ball in general but I think Thomson is defo struggling fitness wise. Thomson only wants Hibs as last resort as he has said England would be his main choice again but he wont rule out staying at Hibs. We are not in a position to sit and wait about for KT to make up his mind are we? Dont get me wrong Thomson has achieved more in the game than OTJ will ever achieve but what I have seen of the guy ticks all the boxes for me. He is very powerful, he has strength and pace and is the type of midfielder that would fit into Fenlons team.

Breaking the bank to give 3-4k a week to a half fit Thomson doesn't really appeal to me knowing his legs can go any minute. I also find it strange that no team was willing to give him a contract. This is a guy that has had Scotland caps, won league titles played in a Uefa cup final yet cant get a deal other than an average SPL side.

Yip ok then. Lets get excited about mediocrity.
is this the level we aspire to?
you want us to sign a player who you don't expect to achieve much. Oh well.

pacorosssco
30-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Yip ok then. Lets get excited about mediocrity.
is this the level we aspire to?
you want us to sign a player who you don't expect to achieve much. Oh well.

Kevin thomson has been at best mediocre since he returned. Im not excited about keeping him.

Weir7
30-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Kevin thomson has been at best mediocre since he returned. Im not excited about keeping him.

Couple of MOM awards. Very good game at PBS despite playing left mid. Strolled through game at Killie, where only a few hundred Hibs fans bothered to go.

Not bad for somebody who is still to reach full match fitness.

SMAXXA
30-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Couple of MOM awards. Very good game at PBS despite playing left mid. Strolled through game at Killie, where only a few hundred Hibs fans bothered to go.

Not bad for somebody who is still to reach full match fitness.

:agree: :top marks

Weir7
30-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Would be a magnificent signing for us
I was really impressed by his performlast game at Easter road , was tall , athletic ,strong and linked well with the front pair.Would also mean we could reinstate spandou ballets greatest hits Bach on the songsheet
Always believe in Tudor-Jones

I'd be happy if deal goes through. Bring a power and height to midfield. Also, help defensivley in dealing with corners etc

Beefster
30-05-2013, 03:00 PM

I'm guessing that you haven't actually seen much of him since his return.

FromTheCapital
30-05-2013, 03:05 PM
He was the best player on the park for me in the last game against Inverness at Easter Road? A tall, physical lad in the Centre of the midfield wouldn't do us any harm at all. Mite give us a little bit more physicality in that area of the pitch also. Good player.

pacorosssco
30-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Hes not been all that. Whos says he isnt fully fit too? A terrible injury record.

He wasnt that great at Tynie compared to others and how did you rate his cup final performance.

pacorosssco
30-05-2013, 03:09 PM
I'm guessing that you haven't actually seen much of him since his return.

Guess again

SMAXXA
30-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Hes not been all that. Whos says he isnt fully fit too? A terrible injury record.

He wasnt that great at Tynie compared to others and how did you rate his cup final performance.

I think your comments are tainted by his cup final performance which wasn't terrible just wasn't as good as he can be / has been

SaulGoodman
30-05-2013, 03:11 PM
how did you rate his cup final performance.

Better than Harris. But if you want to sit with the blinkers on then you do that.

pacorosssco
30-05-2013, 03:12 PM
I think your comments are tainted by his cup final performance which wasn't terrible just wasn't as good as he can be / has been

I think your comments are tainted by his past performances before his return? Yes his cup final performance was poor IMO

Beefster
30-05-2013, 03:13 PM

If the best you can do to back up your argument that he's been utter pish is Tynecastle and the cup final, you don't have much of an argument.

pacorosssco
30-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Better than Harris. But if you want to sit with the blinkers on then you do that.

Ok what blinkers are they then?

pacorosssco
30-05-2013, 03:15 PM
If the best you can do to back up your argument that he's been utter pish is Tynecastle and the cup final, you don't have much of an argument.

Ha where have you backed up your points, never said he was utter pish at tynie. Still guessing i see

SMAXXA
I think your comments are tainted by his past performances before his return? Yes his cup final performance was poor IMO

Not at all, theres no doubting he hasn't made the impact he did previously but that said he has certainly put in some very good performances. I don't understand how you cant see that, each to their own tho

Beefster
Guess again

Were you at his MOTM games?

Beefster
30-05-2013, 03:17 PM

Ha where have you backed up your points, never said he was utter pish at tynie. Still guessing i see

You said he was mediocre at Tynecastle.

pacorosssco
30-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Were you at his MOTM games?

Relavence? Who picks MOM? Is that a measure? Why dont you have another guess

pacorosssco
30-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Not at all, theres no doubting he hasn't made the impact he did previously but that said he has certainly put in some very good performances. I don't understand how you cant see that, each to their own tho

Fair enough my point is I haven't seen enough this time round to be excited about him staying on. Like another poster said. Liam Craig and OTJ have just had far better seasons.

pacorosssco
30-05-2013, 03:29 PM
You said he was mediocre at Tynecastle.

and you said..

'If the best you can do to back up your argument that he's been utter pish is Tynecastle and the cup final, you don't have much of an argument.'

Still guessing...

SMAXXA
30-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Fair enough my point is I haven't seen enough this time round to be excited about him staying on. Like another poster said. Liam Craig and OTJ have just had far better seasons.

I don't think its fair to make comparisons with KT and 2 players that have played in a settled team all season, and in teams doing well. I would be first to admit I havnt seen enough of OTJ and Craig to say they have had far better season or not. I suspect they have and everytime I have seen them both I have been impressed. KT would walk into either of those teams, every day of the week.

pacorosssco
30-05-2013, 03:39 PM
I don't think its fair to make comparisons with KT and 2 players that have played in a settled team all season, and in teams doing well. I would be first to admit I havnt seen enough of OTJ and Craig to say they have had far better season or not. I suspect they have and everytime I have seen them both I have been impressed. KT would walk into either of those teams, every day of the week.

Have we not had a settled team? you cant hold that as a reason. We have chopped and changed as players haven't performed the other two have played in teams doing well so they have kept their place. Based on weekend highlights and in head to head games I think they have fared much better than KT.

I dont think ST J or Inverness were interested in KT so NO he wouldnt walk into their teams last season.

hfc rd
30-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Have we not had a settled team? you cant hold that as a reason. We have chopped and changed as players haven't performed the other two have played in teams doing well so they have kept their place. Based on weekend highlights and in head to head games I think they have fared much better than KT.

I dont think ST J or Inverness were interested in KT so NO he wouldnt walk into their teams last season.

They couldn't afford him. Neither could we, hence why he decided to play for nothing just to build up his fitness and confidence. I'm sure ICT & St J would take KT in their team if he offered to play for them without getting payed.

CB_NO3
30-05-2013, 03:45 PM
I agree. For a guy thats done so much in the game I expect more. Am not saying Thomson is a bad player but he is a luxury we cant afford and is not worth the gamble IMO, especially as he will be at the higher end of the wage bill if he were to sign. Its not like he is head and shoulders above everyone else. He doesn't drive the team forward and take players on, he doesn't play defence splitting passes and have shots at goal, he is a tidy player who likes to keep the ball with lots of short passes and thats not suited to Fenlon's counter attacking play.

SMAXXA
30-05-2013, 03:46 PM

I think the fact he has come into a team that wasn't playing particularly well (Edinburgh Derby at ER) and he has been asked to play centre mid and left midfield and as part of a couple of different formations I think he has done very well indeed. What highlights are you basing this on from the wk-end?

Don't be daft of course he would walk into their teams, if PF had a choice im sure he would have KT on a permanent deal over a number of targets including OTJ and possibly Craig if he could.

CB_NO3
30-05-2013, 03:48 PM
They couldn't afford him. Neither could we, hence why he decided to play for nothing just to build up his fitness and confidence. I'm sure ICT & St J would take KT in their team if he offered to play for them without getting payed.
There is another question. Why was there no teams in Britain willing to sign an ex internationalist, a guy thats won titles and played in a Uefa cup final?

SMAXXA
30-05-2013, 03:50 PM
There is another question. Why was there no teams in Britain willing to sign an ex internationalist, a guy thats won titles and played in a Uefa cup final?

There was and a good number, and not just in Britain may I add. We don't know how fortunate we are at times with people coming out with some silly stuff regarding KT.

CB_NO3
30-05-2013, 03:55 PM
There was and a good number, and not just in Britain may I add. We don't know how fortunate we are at times with people coming out with some silly stuff regarding KT.
So he turned those clubs and offers down to play for Hibs for free? Hats of to the man for that. Am not a Thomson hater, i just think our money could get used better elsewhere. If Thomson was to sign now for 2k a week on a two year deal I would be chuffed but we all know that wont happen. He will wait till the 3rd week in August and look at his offers. If he has nothing good on offer he will want to come back to us. Only problem is by that time we will be 3 or 4 games into our season and our budget used up. Fenlon does not have time to wait around for KT.

Pedantic_Hibee
30-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Kevin Thomson is a quality footballer. Simple as that.

Pedantic_Hibee
30-05-2013, 03:58 PM

To turn that question on its head, when did we become so good that we can afford to turn down the opportunity to sign a Scotland international with titles and a UEFA Cup Final appearance to his name?

Perhaps we shouldn't have signed Franck Sauzee who had similar accolades to his name.......

SunshineOnLeith
30-05-2013, 04:05 PM
To turn that question on its head, when did we become so good that we can afford to turn down the opportunity to sign a Scotland international with titles and a UEFA Cup Final appearance to his name?

Perhaps we shouldn't have signed Franck Sauzee who had similar accolades to his name.......

Kirk Broadfoot is out of contract, let's sign him as well, to follow that logic.

JimBHibees
30-05-2013, 04:15 PM

I agree and personally would prefer a fit Thomson to Claros. Fit being the operative word that mean he is now a risk possibly not worth taking, up to PF.

Pedantic_Hibee
30-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Kirk Broadfoot is out of contract, let's sign him as well, to follow that logic.

No. Kirk Broadfoot is sheeeeeeite.

nairn hibee
30-05-2013, 04:25 PM
press and journal say he has turned down caley thistles offer and is having talks with hibs.good signing if we get him

SMAXXA
30-05-2013, 04:26 PM
press and journal say he has turned down caley thistles offer and is having talks with hibs.good signing if we get him

No chance, not seen this mentioned :wink:

greenpaper55
30-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Oh yes it is,

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/3257699

Leighonel
30-05-2013, 04:30 PM
No chance, not seen this mentioned :wink:

Iv not seen it, iv seen owain tudor jones mentioned though. The showumni brothers all over again.

darwenhibby
30-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Who remembers the old days when we would get so far down the line in talks with potential signings and some other team would gazump us at the last minute, because they were a bigger team.

Any one know why this doesn't happen as much now?:dunno:

Aldo
30-05-2013, 04:36 PM

This. I really do hope we can get him signed up on a new contract.

Still has the passion and hunger for me. Played out of position to accommodate Taiwo and Claros but if Claros can't stay then we defo must try and get KT

SMAXXA
30-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Who remembers the old days when we would get so far down the line in talks with potential signings and some other team would gazump us at the last minute, because they were a bigger team.

Any one know why this doesn't happen as much now?:dunno:

Darren Barr :greengrin

pacorosssco
30-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Its all opinions but I dont see it.

He was a good player - he hasnt shown much in two years

Lets see where he ends up.

RIP Bestie
30-05-2013, 04:48 PM
You think Thomson has been 'head and shoulders' above Claros in the midfield since he arrived? And then chuck about accusations about people not knowing what theyre talking about? Dearie me.

Yip. What's your point?

SMAXXA
30-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Its all opinions but I dont see it.

He was a good player - he hasnt shown much in two years

Lets see where he ends up.
How many games u seen him play since his return? Agree its all about opinions.

RIP Bestie
30-05-2013, 05:00 PM

Who actually did play well in our midfield in the cup final.
Scott Brown pissed over the top of Claros

SMAXXA
30-05-2013, 05:02 PM

I didn't say anyone did, Brown did nothing special we allowed him too much time to do the simple stuff......simples

frazeHFC
30-05-2013, 05:13 PM
We won't be able to replace Claros imo, hope I'm wrong and sure we woll sign a good replacement, but can't see anyone being up there in terms of how good Claros has been over the season.

As I say, hope to be proved wrong!

DH1875
30-05-2013, 05:24 PM

No chance :rolleyes:.

Iggy Pope
30-05-2013, 05:54 PM

We who have played the game at a given level don't use crapy gob***** playground phrases like that.
:cb

Tyler Durden
30-05-2013, 05:54 PM
The way people talk about Claros on here, you'd think he was single handedly winning us game after game. Yes I realise he has a role that's unglamorous at times but he was part of an overly defensive midfield that struggled in many games.

Technically very gifted but not hugely influential in winning games. Too slow and struggled against more physical players. IMO, don't expect everyone to agree but compare him to Boozy for example, doesn't get close.

Tudor Jones may be 28 but his career is moving forward. Same with Liam Craig, they're hitting their peaks and will be hungry to have success at Hibs. Robertson will also come good next year and Taiwo seems to be improving all the time.

I'd rather look forward to that, than back to Claros's input in 2 mediocre seasons.

Winston Ingram
30-05-2013, 06:06 PM
The way people talk about Claros on here, you'd think he was single handedly winning us game after game. Yes I realise he has a role that's unglamorous at times but he was part of an overly defensive midfield that struggled in many games.

Technically very gifted but not hugely influential in winning games. Too slow and struggled against more physical players. IMO, don't expect everyone to agree but compare him to Boozy for example, doesn't get close.

Tudor Jones may be 28 but his career is moving forward. Same with Liam Craig, they're hitting their peaks and will be hungry to have success at Hibs. Robertson will also come good next year and Taiwo seems to be improving all the time.

I'd rather look forward to that, than back to Claros's input in 2 mediocre seasons.

I'm with you. I think he'd decent but not at the level some have at on here.

Brown dominated him on Sun:agree:

West hamBERNIAN
30-05-2013, 06:18 PM
As much as I have come to like claros, I don't think hibs should be spending money on him, we have a lot of competition in the middle especially if KT was to stay on with a reasonable wage. Think he has the potential to make more impact on games. If hibs can afford to spend any money it should be set aside for Leigh. We obviously need to have money to pay wages of another striker on top of that. A midfield of Harris Robertson taiwo(Thomson) Craig could be a lot worse.

lumbo_hfc
30-05-2013, 06:36 PM
I didn't say anyone did, Brown did nothing special we allowed him too much time to do the simple stuff......simples
Sounds like the sign of a cracking player to me, finding space in a packed midfield to spray passes about, winning tackles and bossing the whole game, Claros was chasing his shadow all game, MOTM by a mile and anyone who can't see that is probably watching the wrong sport!!

Personally i would rather keep KT than Claros, KT would walk into any team in the SPL (except Celtic)

green glory
30-05-2013, 06:57 PM

If that was true we might see Gary Locke as player/manager next season.

FranckSuzy
30-05-2013, 07:06 PM
If that was true we might see Gary Locke as player/manager next season.

:tee hee:

SMAXXA
30-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Sounds like the sign of a cracking player to me, finding space in a packed midfield to spray passes about, winning tackles and bossing the whole game, Claros was chasing his shadow all game, MOTM by a mile and anyone who can't see that is probably watching the wrong sport!!

Personally i would rather keep KT than Claros, KT would walk into any team in the SPL (except Celtic)

Yeah sitting 5 yards of your CH's with no opposition midfielder putting any pressure on you sounds like the qualities of a cracking player to me :confused:, id argue I could have done that role, im was a CM mind no a very good one nowadays but I could have picked passes under no pressure like he did on Sunday. We made him look so good.

silverhibee
30-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Yeah sitting 5 yards of your CH's with no opposition midfielder putting any pressure on you sounds like the qualities of a cracking player to me :confused:, id argue I could have done that role, im was a CM mind no a very good one nowadays but I could have picked passes under no pressure like he did on Sunday. We made him look so good.

:top marks

hibsbollah
30-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Yip. What's your point?

Im not tellin you. Unlike you, I played the 'hiding on the right of midfield hoping no one would pass me the ball' role for Meadowbank Athletic in the Edinburgh Boys Leagues circa 1981-82. You have never played at this level, hence you simply wouldn't understand:agree:

hibsbollah
30-05-2013, 09:00 PM
...and anyone who can't see that is probably watching the wrong sport!!

Is this a deviation on the 'never played the game at any level' argument?:confused:

SMAXXA
30-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Im not tellin you. Unlike you, I played the 'hiding on the right of midfield hoping no one would pass me the ball' role for Meadowbank Athletic in the Edinburgh Boys Leagues circa 1981-82. You have never played at this level, hence you simply wouldn't understand:agree:

Is this a deviation on the 'never played the game at any level' argument?:confused:

:faf::faf:

Darth Hibbie
31-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Official twitter says new player arriving today. Any ideas?

Devilstorment
31-05-2013, 08:12 AM
Confirmed OTJ is a Hibby

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20130531/wales-midfielder-joins-hibernian_2262950_3195993 (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20130531/wales-midfielder-joins-hibernian_2262950_3195993)

YehButNoBut
31-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Hopefully they are teasing and we are about to announce we've signed Sparky permanently. :agree:

Hibernian FC ‏@HibernianFCClub BREAKING NEWS: News of a player arrival to follow shortly - stay connected to the official Twitter #hibees (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23hibees&src=hash) #allezallezau (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23allezallezau&src=hash) #fromthecapital (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23fromthecapital&src=hash)

matty_f
31-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Otj

Confirmed on fishy site.

Well done Hibs.

NOLA
31-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Does OTJ do home styling?

SMAXXA
31-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Confirmed :thumbsup:http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20130531/wales-midfielder-joins-hibernian_2262950_3195993

Jones28
31-05-2013, 08:16 AM
So no Thomson or Claros next season you'd imagine.

brog
31-05-2013, 08:16 AM
Confirmed on fishy site.

Well done Hibs.

He's Welsh, not Irish!! Surely shome mistake! Seriously, good work!

blackpoolhibs
31-05-2013, 08:17 AM
He signed weeks ago. :wink:

IWasThere2016
31-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Welcome OTJ :thumbsup:

I am delighted we are doing business early - will make a huge difference to our SPL campaign IMHO :flag:

:pfgwa

SMAXXA
31-05-2013, 08:21 AM
He signed weeks ago. :wink:

No he never :na na:

Jim44
31-05-2013, 08:21 AM
Confirmed :thumbsup:http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20130531/wales-midfielder-joins-hibernian_2262950_3195993

The fact that they have officially announced the signing of OTJ, makes it look like the SSN info about McGivern was a bit premature. Unless I have hopefully missed something and he has definitely signed.

matty_f
31-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Another one on the way...

Winston Ingram
31-05-2013, 08:27 AM
...another on the way? LG?

bingo70
31-05-2013, 08:28 AM

That'll be Mcgivern imo

Billy Whizz
...another on the way? LG?

McGivern I'd have thought?

Winston Ingram
It's McGivern

YehButNoBut
31-05-2013, 08:29 AM
Hibernian FC ‏@HibernianFCClub 12s (https://twitter.com/HibernianFCClub/status/340384998421045248) READ: McGivern Agrees Two Year Deal http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20130531/mcgivern-agrees-two-year-deal_2262950_3195995 … (http://t.co/z75kZg6YKp) #allezallezau (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23allezallezau&src=hash) #fromthecapital (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23fromthecapital&src=hash)

kentao
31-05-2013, 08:29 AM
Hopefully they are teasing and we are about to announce we've signed Sparky permanently. :agree:

Hibernian FC ‏@HibernianFCClub BREAKING NEWS: News of a player arrival to follow shortly - stay connected to the official Twitter #hibees (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23hibees&src=hash) #allezallezau (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23allezallezau&src=hash) #fromthecapital (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23fromthecapital&src=hash)

We wont be signing sparky today as ive just seen him boarding the 852 to birmingham

SaulGoodman
31-05-2013, 08:30 AM

Today?

matty_f
31-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Good news. Two early morning signing to brighten up Friday.

Nice one Hibs!

SMAXXA
31-05-2013, 08:34 AM
The fact that they have officially announced the signing of OTJ, makes it look like the SSN info about McGivern was a bit premature. Unless I have hopefully missed something and he has definitely signed.

Be patient :greengrin

Saorsa
Good news. Two early morning signing to brighten up Friday.

Nice one Hibs!:agree: Great tae get an early start, it's amazing what a wee bit of continuity can dae. Same manager and we dinnae have tae get rid of dozens of players first.

Jim44

Cancel that. I see that McGivern has def. signed.

matty_f
31-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Today?

SaulGoodman
31-05-2013, 08:37 AM

Bit slow on my part :greengrin

AngusHibby
31-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Always believe in Tudor jones, JONES

matty_f
31-05-2013, 08:40 AM
:agree: Great tae get an early start, it's amazing what a wee bit of continuity can dae. Same manager and we dinnae have tae get rid of dozens of players first.

Great point, it's something we have lacked for years at the club.

pontius pilate
31-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Just notices Gregg Wilde has been released from Bolton.
Could we/should we?

bigwheel
31-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Tudor Jones...dare I say it...is the nearest thing I've seen in recent years to playing the "Matty Jack" role well ...

There - I've said it :-)

Good signing !

Heisenberg
31-05-2013, 08:46 AM
Could we/should we?

We might. Depends on how much he gets offered elsewhere (most probably by Sevco)

hibee92
31-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Could we/should we?

Yes please! Him and Harris, two attacking wingers at Hibs! :shocked::faint:

PeterboroHibee
31-05-2013, 08:48 AM
Could we/should we?

Was the issue last time not to do with the wages he wanted? That would be a good signing for us and give us some options on the wing!

gogs_t
31-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Might have been mentioned elsewhere but that's 2 full internationals we've signed :thumbsup:

Stevie Reid
31-05-2013, 08:54 AM

I think you are being harsh on Claros, but agree that we have much to look forward to - Robertson, Craig, and Tudor-Jones are all at a great age and have all been pivotal players in SPL teams that have finished top in the top 3/4, and this can only be a good thing.

Happy with McGivern too, if he can play like he did at the start of the season, then we will have a real player for the next two years - though some of his link up play with Harris at times was excellent in the latter half of the season as well.

SMAXXA
31-05-2013, 08:54 AM
Could we/should we?

That's interesting as I was just going to post that we are still missing natural wingers / width in the team. Harris aside we don't really have anyone else but it will be interesting to see where Liam Craig plays. Could be a midfield of Craig T-Jones Taiwo Harris as it stands. We still need another couple of midfielders to come in aswell as strikers and even a couple of defenders :greengrin, apart from that we are sorted :wink:

MyJo
31-05-2013, 09:02 AM
It's not even June and we've got three players signed up already including two from teams who finished above us in the league last season and one who has shown he is a more than capable spl player with us already. a wee tweet about sparky's three year deal this afternoon and we be jammin! :greengrin

IWasThere2016
31-05-2013, 09:03 AM
:agree: Great tae get an early start, it's amazing what a wee bit of continuity can dae. Same manager and we dinnae have tae get rid of dozens of players first.

:agree: Signings should have ALWAYS been earlier that they have been also. It is the best way to integrate, settle the player and get them fit and fitting in the side.

SMAXXA
31-05-2013, 09:05 AM
:agree: Signings should have ALWAYS been earlier that they have been also. It is the best way to integrate, settle the player and get them fit and fitting in the side.

Wonder if it will have an uplift in ST's aswell now people know what players we are going with rather than the last days of the transfer window :dunno:

Stevie Reid
31-05-2013, 09:05 AM

I know it's not always possible to get them in when you want, but getting players in early is not only good for pre-season but is also a firm commitment from the player that they want to play for Hibs.

Things are feeling different around Hibs at the moment, and in a very good way - there's a real sense of purpose at the club, IMO.

Engels74
31-05-2013, 09:08 AM
This is how he dealt with the yams this season. More of this please Owain! :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt6qm-xuKeY

greenpaper55
31-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Making the signings early is a good thing , we are back in training in a months time for the Euro adventure so i would expect any other signings to be made soon, well done Hibs.

Scottie
31-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Think he'll be a great addition to the squad

WELL DONE HIBS :thumbsup:

YehButNoBut
31-05-2013, 09:19 AM
With him & Craig we will have 2 midfielders who are not afraid to have a shot at goal and should contribute to our goals for column.

Both very positive signings. :thumbsup:

Elephant Stone
31-05-2013, 09:22 AM
This is how he dealt with the yams this season. More of this please Owain! :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt6qm-xuKeY

He looks huge.

GreenCastle
31-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Good signing along with McGivern and Craig :agree:

Also looks like Fenlon wants some more height in the side and to be more physical in the middle.

I would still love it if we signed Claros and LG also.

The attacking midfielder with an eye for a goal / setting up goals is crucial - do we think Craig will play this role? Your Latapy / Zemmama type player.

number9dream
31-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Mr Pedantic must be on holiday, so it falls to me to point out that it is Owain TUDUR Jones - two Us...

That's three solid signings on board early doors.
C'mon Rod, pull something out of the bag for Sparky .

Bukta#8
31-05-2013, 09:31 AM
He looks huge.

He's industructable 6' 3"

GreenCastle
31-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Surely the Rob Jones song has to make a comeback :agree:

Speedway
31-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Williams

Clancy
Toshney
Forster
McGivern

Harris
Taiwo
Jones
Craig

Spanky
Boyce

for next season?

BarneyK
31-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Williams

Clancy
Toshney
Forster
McGivern

Harris
Taiwo
Jones
Craig

Spanky
Boyce

for next season?

Boyce?

Twa Cairpets
31-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Williams

Clancy
Toshney
Forster
McGivern

Harris
Taiwo
Jones
Craig

Spanky
Boyce

for next season?

Spanky?

Speedway
31-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Williams

Clancy
Toshney
Forster
McGivern

Harris
Taiwo
Jones
Craig

Spanky
Boyce

for next season?

Harris?

cabbageandribs1875
31-05-2013, 09:44 AM
welcome to HFC Mr owain Double-Barrelled name :flag:

Boydyhfc
31-05-2013, 09:45 AM

I've been singing it all morning :greengrin

Onion
31-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Great signings. THIS is what Hibs fans have been crying out for years- solid proven pros bought earlier in the transfer window. Hugely encouraged by the way PF has gone about his business and think we'll be stronger next season. Now just add LG and a couple more and we're getting there.

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Spanky?

We must've signed Macar for the new season!

JimBHibees
31-05-2013, 10:19 AM

I've been singing it all morning :greengrin

So hiow does it go with the Tudur Jones bit?

Tudur Jones, Jones
always believe in Tudur Jones
you have the power to score,
your indestructible,
always believe in
Tudur Jones, Jones*:greengrin

Hibstrooper
31-05-2013, 10:23 AM
OTJ needs to earn that song first, big Rob Jones was a cup winning captain so should rightly have his own song.

Gatecrasher
31-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Welcome to the Hibernian Family :thumbsup:

Stevie Reid
31-05-2013, 10:25 AM
OTJ needs to earn that song first, big Rob Jones was a cup winning captain so should rightly have his own song.

Or we could just give him maximum support from the minute he pulls on a Hibs jersey...

GordonHFC
31-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Boyce?

With Rodney and Del on the wings and Trigger in the middle.

Hibstrooper
31-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Or we could just give him maximum support from the minute he pulls on a Hibs jersey...

Who said anything about not giving him maximum support? Is the only way to achieve that to sing that particular song?

I had a ton of abusive comments all lined up for him, if he doesn't score a hat trick on his debut he'll be getting dogs abuse

Stevie Reid
31-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Who said anything about not giving him maximum support? Is the only way to achieve that to sing that particular song?

I had a ton of abusive comments all lined up for him, if he doesn't score a hat trick on his debut he'll be getting dogs abuse

Holding a song back until you feel he's earned it isn't giving him maximum support - though I didn't imply that you weren't going to support him at all. I would imagine that hearing supporters chant your name from the first moment you play for a club must do wonders for you, though.

Incidentally, I don't recall such meritocracy being brought into play for other players - I'm sure that the Jones song was sung long before the cup final win and many other players have had chants from their first appearance. In the case of many players we would never have chanted their names at all had we waited to see if they were actually any good or not.

GlenrothesHibee
31-05-2013, 11:02 AM

Has to happen. Best song for a player ever. Swap "Rob" for "Big"? Lol

GreenCastle
31-05-2013, 11:07 AM

Please let us know when we can all sing and support the team :greengrin

In all seriousness - I do love that song because Rob Jones scored against the floaters and won the cup but there are many football songs that have been adapted for players etc and it's another good song which is different to others so I would welcome it back at ER :agree:

pontius pilate
31-05-2013, 11:09 AM
It should come back it would be great to hear it getting belted out again.

jacomo
31-05-2013, 11:36 AM

You're a soft touch. Takes more than a hat trick to impress this jaded supporter

EdinMike
31-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Has Paddy McCourt signed yet ? :cb

Hibstrooper
31-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Holding a song back until you feel he's earned it isn't giving him maximum support - though I didn't imply that you weren't going to support him at all. I would imagine that hearing supporters chant your name from the first moment you play for a club must do wonders for you, though.

Incidentally, I don't recall such meritocracy being brought into play for other players - I'm sure that the Jones song was sung long before the cup final win and many other players have had chants from their first appearance. In the case of many players we would never have chanted their names at all had we waited to see if they were actually any good or not.

I'm not saying don't sing a song for him, I just think THAT particular song is a special song for a special player. Singing it to any player with a similar name before he has even kicked a ball taints it a bit for me and implies Rob Jones is a ten-a-penny player.

The king is dead, long live the king.

I'm away to pen the bestest and most originalist song for our big new Welsh dragon so I've got something to sing when everyone else is murdering Spandeu Ballet

Hibstrooper
31-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Please let us know when we can all sing and support the team :greengrin

Same time it's ok to have a different opinion to the consensus on a fans message board ;-)

blackpoolhibs
31-05-2013, 11:46 AM
I'm not saying don't sing a song for him, I just think THAT particular song is a special song for a special player. Singing it to any player with a similar name before he has even kicked a ball taints it a bit for me and implies Rob Jones is a ten-a-penny player.

The king is dead, long live the king.

I'm away to pen the bestest and most originalist song for our big new Welsh dragon so I've got something to sing when everyone else is murdering Spandeu Ballet

Leigh Leigh super Leigh, should never have been sung. That was a special song only sung for one player and one player only. Super Joe. :greengrin

EdinMike
31-05-2013, 11:52 AM
My brain might be turning to mush, but am I right in thinking this is one of the few Welsh players we've signed ? (Sean Welsh not included :wink:)

I can think of Bobby Atherton who played for both Hibs and Hearts back in the 1890's Anyone else ?!

Hibstrooper
31-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Leigh Leigh super Leigh, should never have been sung. That was a special song only sung for one player and one player only. Super Joe. :greengrin

Leigh is quite clearly the Italian Stallion's love child so that one's alright!

lord bunberry
31-05-2013, 11:53 AM

Joe mcbride or joe tortolano?

lord bunberry
31-05-2013, 11:55 AM
My brain might be turning to mush, but am I right in thinking this is one of the few Welsh players we've signed ? (Sean Welsh not included :wink:)

I can think of Bobby Atherton who played for both Hibs and Hearts back in the 1890's Anyone else ?!

Was david stephens not welsh

EdinMike
31-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Was david stephens not welsh

Spot on, I don't think there are that many.

lord bunberry
31-05-2013, 12:00 PM

Gareth evans should have been welsh

Jim44
31-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Gareth Evans? No , forgot he was English ....... With a name like that?

steakbake
31-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Boyce?

Emerson or Liam - that is the question...

deeks01
31-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Glanced at a daily record today - apparently hibs are interested in signing 'target man striker' Owain Tudur Jones... As if I needed reminding not to read that sh*** excuse of a paper.

Good signing though. Will definitely add some presence. Pleased with the speed we are going about things so far!

kdhibees1
31-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Must admit, pretty happy with this signing!! Look forward to seeing what the lad can do in a green & white jersey next season GGTTH!!!

blackpoolhibs
31-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Joe mcbride or joe tortolano?

There's only one Tortolano. :greengrin

Twiglet
31-05-2013, 12:34 PM

Callum Antell is Welsh too.

FromTheCapital
31-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Twitter - @OwenTJones17 "Delighted to have signed for Hibs. Looking forward to Edinburgh life & doing my bit for the team over next couple of years. #nextchapter (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23nextchapter&src=hash)"

Best player on the pitch against us at Easter Road. Tall lad who could add some physical presence to our team. Great signing! :thumbsup:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
31-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Welcome to Hibs Owain Tudur Jones!

Treadstone
31-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Apologies if already posted. Actually not really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt6qm-xuKeY