PDA

View Full Version : After time to think it all over

29-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Its been 4 days now since the cup final and obviously I, like every other hibs fan has had time now to think over things.

Fist of all, massive congratulations to all the hibs supporters who were absolutely magnificent, singing and showing our loyalty and love to our club right till the bitter end. That was fantastic and made me very proud to be a hibs fan, but now the real loyalty and support needs to be proven and more fans need to get themselves to Easter Road. I realise some supporters that were there on Sunday live abraod/can't afford regular trips to ER/work on weekends etc. but there will be a lot there who don't and it'll all very well singing and suppoting the team on the big occassions but the team needs your support on a regular basis. If we made as much noise and created the same atmostphere at ER every other week with a big crowd then ER would be a very difficult and intimidating place for opponents to come too and would give the players a massive lift. I'm not saying there is no atmostphere at ER already because the Sect 43 guys do a great job and get other parts of the stadium joining in sometimes but all I'm saying is that with more people filling the stadium and doing what we did on Sunday then it would be even better!

As for on the field, well I have to say I am really really gutted that we never did it this time. We were up against a very strong celtic side and to beat them we needed them to have an off day (unfortunatly they didn't) but I thought we still could have played better. Its a sore one to take but despite what has been said in media etc, I'm not "accepting getting beat". I'm certainly not happy with defeat in a cup final. It doesn't matter whether we got beat off a strong celtic side or a poor East Fife side, I will never been "happy" with defeat.

Anyway, now we need to put it behind us and try move on. Unlike after last years cup final where a massive massive clear out of dead wood was needed, I think we have a good foundation of a team that we can build on. We have some very promising youngsters that have successfully broke their way into the first team this season and with McGivern and Craig signing a contract that also brings in a bit more experience.

Like I said I'm gutted we never managed to win the cup and I have to to suffer a bit of stick from the jams (I let them have this one as it obviously helps them forget about their current troubles) but on wards and upwards eh. I would rather loose cup finals every year and be a hibee than win them every year and be a jambo put it that way :flag:

Mark1875
29-05-2013, 10:08 AM
This would get a 10/10 smiley if I wasn't on my phone. Agree with everything said. Especially the last bit ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vini1875
29-05-2013, 10:44 AM
From where we are it is very important that we move onwards and upwards. Top six is a must. Europe would be good. Good cup runs are a must and a win would be very good. Getting to the group stages of the europa cup would be fantastic. I'm not sure how many ties we need to play in order to get there, but I am sure we would need to be very lucky in who we got.

Some how the board have to find extra money to improve the quality of the squad. Within his budget I think Pat has done well, but the quality has to improve. I am also hoping that the younger guys make an impact this year, surely with the likes of Forster and Harris breaking through that is all the incentive they need to force their way into the managers plans.

Treadstone
29-05-2013, 11:01 AM
From where we are it is very important that we move onwards and upwards. Top six is a must. Europe would be good. Good cup runs are a must and a win would be very good. Getting to the group stages of the europa cup would be fantastic. I'm not sure how many ties we need to play in order to get there, but I am sure we would need to be very lucky in who we got.

Not having a go but the top 6 standard as some kind of achievement has to be the first notion binned. Its a manufactured barometer to suggest that they have succeeded if they can make it. Just an attitude to do their best every game and see where that takes us. With our resources and continued progression of the young players I am confident of a much higher league finish and a bit more consistency throughout the coming season.

edinburghhibee
29-05-2013, 11:24 AM
4 days on... Still gutted, I feel we just never really tried to get at Celtic on Sunday we lost two really really poor goals and after that the game was gone had sparky scored when he rounded the keeper things might have been different but I doubt it.

Celtic were brilliant on Sunday unfortunately and hooper stokes Ledley and broonie where unplayable for large parts of that game.

Like in 2001 luck wasn't on our side leading up to that final we lost Russell and frank was nowhere near 100% fit. Fast forward to Sunday we lose our leader and captain then sparky gets injured its just gutting.

On the upside we have progressed so much this last year, we have a team of good solid pros Williams, James, maybury, Claros tommy t these guys know the game they've been there. I think paddy now has to install belief in this team and get that ball doing what it's made to do, roll around the floor no more humping it up the park when things aren't going as well as we hope.

Get sparky, Claros Forster and Harris signed up on longer contracts and bring in some players who are hungry. I like Craig, I hope he will be as productive as he has been at the saints. We desperately need a striker and a genuine creative midfielder. But apart from that I think we are a solid enough team for the SPL.

Stringer
29-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Not having a go but the top 6 standard as some kind of achievement has to be the first notion binned. Its a manufactured barometer to suggest that they have succeeded if they can make it. Just an attitude to do their best every game and see where that takes us. With our resources and continued progression of the young players I am confident of a much higher league finish and a bit more consistency throughout the coming season.

Agreed. Anything less than the top 3 is unacceptable, especially with Rangers down in the SFL leagues.

Re The Cup final: Fans were great but that means very little. The team gave up after the first goal, zero confidence in their own abilities. The shape was completely wrong. We also lack creative passers (a number 10) so find it very hard to break down an opponents defence.

Gatecrasher
29-05-2013, 11:39 AM

Whilst I agree with the sentiment reaching the top 6 allows us to fight for a european place plus the additional cash being higher up in the league brings. It isn't an achievement as such but it is a target to aim for.

SmithyHibee
29-05-2013, 11:53 AM

Spot on there, we need to be far more consistent and I believe that will happen, we will be consistently better. This season was in my opinion a marked improvement on last and we've got to look at next year as an opportunity to build on that again.

Group stages of the Europa League is a must :cb

Treadstone
29-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Whilst I agree with the sentiment reaching the top 6 allows us to fight for a european place plus the additional cash being higher up in the league brings. It isn't an achievement as such but it is a target to aim for.

Top 3 is a target. Why don't we use that as a benchmark ?

hibs4thecup1988
29-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Spot on there, we need to be far more consistent and I believe that will happen, we will be consistently better. This season was in my opinion a marked improvement on last and we've got to look at next year as an opportunity to build on that again.

Group stages of the Europa League is a must :cb

Hardly a *must*. We will be lucky to get through one round, never mind the two that we need to get through to get to Europa League Group stages.

League is the bread and butter next year. Top 4 must be the target this time round. Quarter Finals of both cups is a target as well.

IMHO if we fail then Fenlon's position has to be looked at sadly

lord bunberry
29-05-2013, 02:42 PM
next season is the most important for fenlon, he will need to have a good league campaign and have us playing football that is easier on the eye. 2nd place is what we should be aiming for but a top 4 finish should be the minimum requirement

legends of 73
29-05-2013, 02:48 PM
next season is the most important for fenlon, he will need to have a good league campaign and have us playing football that is easier on the eye. 2nd place is what we should be aiming for but a top 4 finish should be the minimum requirement

Totally agree. I like Fenlon but this season coming up will dictate how long he wants to be at the club. Encouraging signs on who we are being linked with and if we can get our loan players to commit with sparky signing then its onwards and upwards:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gatecrasher
29-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Top 3 is a target. Why don't we use that as a benchmark ?
not disagreeing with that, Hibs should be striving to become a regular top 4 club but as we are still recovering from a bad spell the expectations for the upcoming season will differ depending on how people think we should progress.

Keith_M
29-05-2013, 03:22 PM
I just wonder what the minimum woud be that's considered acceptable next season by the supporters.

My personal feeling is that I'm going to be dissapointed if we finish outside the top 4. I realise there was a rebuilding job to do (isn't there always) but by the end of next sason, that be nearly three years Fenlon has had.

Added to the fact that there's no Rangers, Hearts are in freefall and Aberdeen are about to start from scratch, a club the size of ours should really be qualifying for Europe.

Makaveli
29-05-2013, 03:32 PM
I just wonder what the minimum woud be that's considered acceptable next season by the supporters.

My personal feeling is that I'm going to be dissapointed if we finish outside the top 4. I realise there was a rebuilding job to do (isn't there always) but by the end of next sason, that be nearly three years Fenlon has had.

Added to the fact that there's no Rangers, Hearts are in freefall and Aberdeen are about to start from scratch, a club the size of ours should really be qualifying for Europe.

I'll be upset if we're not in the top 3, and really there's no reason anyone should beat us to 2nd.

As you say, our "natural"
challengers in hearts and the sheep are weaker than usual. IMO ICT/Ross/St J should be beneath us, 'Well are losing half a team and Utd's best players are off.

The stage is set for us.

Pat 0-7
29-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Totally agree. I like Fenlon but this season coming up will dictate how long he wants to be at the club. Encouraging signs on who we are being linked with and if we can get our loan players to commit with sparky signing then its onwards and upwards:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Agreed.

The signings Pat makes in this window are really important for his future at the club. Quality over quantity as far as I am concerned.......

HibeeMG
29-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Hardly a *must*. We will be lucky to get through one round, never mind the two that we need to get through to get to Europa League Group stages.

League is the bread and butter next year. Top 4 must be the target this time round. Quarter Finals of both cups is a target as well.

IMHO if we fail then Fenlon's position has to be looked at sadly

Three rounds before the group stages I think.

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2013, 05:07 PM

My liver wouldn't take 3 European away games. :greengrin

erin go bragh
29-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Sure we enter in the second round ,win that then its the third round ,win that and were into the group stages .

ggtth

bongo'd
29-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Sure we enter in the second round ,win that then its the third round ,win that and were into the group stages .

ggtth

Playoff round after the 3rd Qualifying Round I think. Could be wrong though, wouldn't be a first!!!

Mr White
29-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Playoff round after the 3rd Qualifying Round I think. Could be wrong though, wouldn't be a first!!!

According to todays evening news you're right, but I suppose it wouldn't be the first time they've got it wrong either :greengrin:

Prof. Shaggy
29-05-2013, 07:00 PM
According to todays evening news you're right, but I suppose it wouldn't be the first time they've got it wrong either :greengrin:

The play-off round is when you're likely to find yourself up against serious opposition - the English/German/Spanish sides who narrowly missed on the CL.
Reaching the Group Stages is now a major achievement.

hibs4thecup1988
29-05-2013, 09:05 PM

You are right. Its my mate that's the plonker

greenlex
31-05-2013, 06:41 AM
As long as there is progress. That will be top six and a semi final or two.

sambajustice
31-05-2013, 06:55 AM
Do we not go into the 2nd qualifying round??? Mccall was in the papers sayinf he hoped celtic win the cup because it meant motherwell would go into a later round than if hibs won the cup!