PDA

View Full Version : Question Referee: Willie Collum's performance on Sunday. (Good - Bad or Just plain awful)

Scottie
28-05-2013, 04:26 PM
Though Willie Collum's performance was woeful on Sunday.

Never gave Hibs a decision of worth all day much the same as Craig Thomson's performance in last years final.

No saying if we had the best ref in the world on Sunday the result would of been any different but all we ask for is honesty and consistency.

IMO it was verging on as bad a performance as Thomson's last year.

I'm not suggesting there is a conspiracy theory or hidden agenda only asking the question on his performance

Golden Bear
28-05-2013, 04:31 PM
I must admit I was not amused when I read that one of the linesmen was none other than our "old friend" Mr Willie Conker who has caused us so much consternation in the past.

As for the Ref, then he was not outrageously bad but he didn't do us any favours either.

#FromTheCapital
28-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Not going to start with all the same conspiracy theories as last year. We were well beaten last year an this year regardless of referee performance. But you are right he was murder on Sunday. All 50/50's were given to Celtic. There were no big calls in this game but judging by his performance they would've gone celtics way if there had been.

Keith_M
28-05-2013, 04:33 PM

Is there a hidden agenda against our club in the big games....?

There is NO agenda against our club!

Let's just leave that for Celtc (and Sevco).

Hibs Class
28-05-2013, 04:35 PM
I thought he was a bit inconsistent at times but nowhere near as bad as Thomson last year and he had little influence on the outcome of the match.

easty
28-05-2013, 04:35 PM
No hidden agenda.

Nowhere near as bad a performance from the ref as last year. The calls made on Sunday, sometimes you get them and sometimes you don't. Did it seem like everything was in Celtc favour, maybe at times. That's just the way it can be though. Last year there were decisions that a 'competent' ref shouldn't have got so spectacularly wrong.

Vini1875
28-05-2013, 04:42 PM
He was ok. He didn't have to make any contentious calls. Had Griffiths gone down when through on Forster I suspect Leigh would have been booked rather than keeper off and pen to us. Ref had nothing much to do.

JimBHibees
28-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Got to be said was irritated by the number of soft fouls Celtic got that we didnt appear to get in similar incidents. I also think they were cuter or more cynical in making it clear to the ref that they had been fouled e.g girly screech with arms thrown out sort of thing. :greengrin

We do need to be more wordly wise in general for example Brown's OTT reaction to the Claros foul showed exactly why that sort of thing should have happened much, much earlier in the game. I do think we are seen as a soft touch by officials and that we dont get decisions other teams do in general.

monktonharp
28-05-2013, 04:46 PM
I thought he was woefull. he allowed Scotty Broon to get away with far too much. we all know, and to an extent admire Broony's "in yer face" style against an opponent but I thought the ref let too much go. can anyone ever remember Scott Brown getting booed so much, by Hibs fans/ and the chants all round of SB yer a w******.says a lot imho.

Pretty Boy
28-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Not a conspiracy.

Just the usual piss poor standard of refereeing in this country.

Holmesdale Hibs
28-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Didn't really notice him. There wasn't any controversial moments in the game so any mistakes he made were minor. I have no problem with his performance.

Purple & Green
28-05-2013, 04:54 PM
18 fouls against us 6 against Celtic, which I thought didn't reflect what happened. I thought he was scared to give a decision against them - given Lennon dodged a touch line ban, I'm not surprised. He didn't make any shockers like last seasons final though.

Didn't cost us the game, but our discipline has been superb this year. I'm looking forward to when all these 'breaks' go for us. We have a lot of catching up to do.

sbell1875
28-05-2013, 04:56 PM
In a match of 50:50 possession he awarded Celtic 18 fouls and Hibs 6.

One of the worst decisions for me was not just his fault but one of the linesmen. Izziguere's 9 out of 10 dive in the 2nd half was embarrassing.

Waxy
28-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Yeh.I thought he was bias against us.

clerriehibs
28-05-2013, 05:08 PM
No complaints.

tamig
28-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Didn't think there was any controversy of note in the ref's performance.

brog
28-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Martin Hannan in Scotsman yesterday praised Collum & said " it would be more correct to say that Collum interpreted the laws in a way that favoured Celtic, in as much as he allowed physicality, it's a man's game & all that ". They say the winners rewrite history, looks like its already started here. Like other posters I don't think Collum was awful & I don't think he changed the result but I have no doubt that Celtc benefitted greatly from the marginal calls. I believe Celtc were awarded 8 of the first 9 free kicks & ours was just outside our own box!

snooky
28-05-2013, 05:24 PM
I'd like to say that Collum was a fair ref ................................. but I can't cos he wasn't.

Onion
28-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Let's be honest, his job was made easy for him by the way the game panned out. He had no tricky decisions to give before they went 1-0 and 2-0 up and by that time the outcome was decided. The true test of any ref is when Hibs score first or the game is especially tight. Then it becomes a test of the refs ability to find ways of chalking off any Hibs goal, stifling any momentum that Hibs might look like building or looking for opportunities to give Celtic an advantage.

JohnStephens91
28-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Many baffling decisions given in favour of Celtic. These became even more apparent when similar tackles were not penalised when committed by Celtic and Collum waved play on. He was honking but it didn't really influence the game as such. It was one of the worst refereeing performances I've seen this season along with John Beaton against Ross County at Easter Road and Stevie O'Reilly against Motherwell at Fir Park (4-0 to us).

bigwheel
28-05-2013, 05:38 PM
No major errors ...some minor ones -...

hibee19
28-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Every 50/50 went in favour of Celtic but did you expect anything else? When you play the OF you get nothing from the referees. Never have, never will.

Geo_1875
28-05-2013, 06:04 PM
You would think referees would try to appear neutral when the eyes of the nation are upon them but they just can't bring themselves to do it.

matty_f
28-05-2013, 06:04 PM
I thought he was brutal. Every 50/50 went their way.

Onceinawhile
28-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Every 50/50 went their way and in addition to that he gave a free kick everytime we put in a decent tackle and looked like breaking. Ruined our chances of getting a quick counter attack which is what we needed. It helped take Harris out the game .

Northernhibee
28-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Totally intimidated and a piss poor peformance.

Petrified of upsetting Neil Lennon.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-05-2013, 06:19 PM
I thought that he was decent. No real complaints from me.

Frogga
28-05-2013, 06:21 PM
I thought that he was decent. No real complaints from me.

Agreed. I think we gave away too many silly fouls more than anything else.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
28-05-2013, 06:24 PM
He was okay. Seen worse. But then again the SPL benchmark is pretty low.

500miles
28-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Celtic pressurise the referee and reap the benefits. The problem is, we can't stop them. The answer? Do it ourselves.

Boyle89
28-05-2013, 06:53 PM
In a match of 50:50 possession he awarded Celtic 18 fouls and Hibs 6.

One of the worst decisions for me was not just his fault but one of the linesmen. Izziguere's 9 out of 10 dive in the 2nd half was embarrassing.

Haha. I just laughed when he gave them a free kick for that. We weren't going to win at that point, but when you get decisions like that against you you've not even got a chance. No bias just brutal and fooled by players.

weecounty hibby
28-05-2013, 06:58 PM
He was everything i expected from a ref in a cup final against one of the ugly sisters. Overly pernickety when it was Hibs and overly lenient when it was Celtic. Celtics official club tactic of moaning and whinging about refs over the last 30/40 years has reaped benefits that are only exceeded by the Huns. He didn't however cost us the match

Kato
28-05-2013, 07:00 PM
The calls made on Sunday, sometimes you get them and sometimes you don't.

Been to the vast majority of "big" Hibs games since the mid70's on - when do we start getting them?

lord bunberry
28-05-2013, 07:17 PM
My view from near the front of the west meant I couldn't tell if he got anything right or wrong, but I don't really remember anyone on our bus or in the pub complaining about him.

Eyrie
28-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Collum had an OK game and my only quibble would be when he booked Griffiths for incidental contact.

We saw last year what a biased and incompetent cheat of a referee looks like, so let's leave the paranoia about officials to the Septic fans.

R'Albin
28-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Not going to start with all the same conspiracy theories as last year. We were well beaten last year an this year regardless of referee performance.

Have to disagree with that. Had Ian Black been sent off in the first ten minutes for his assault on Leigh then there's no way they win that game.

Anyway, Collum was crap yesterday but nothing that majorly effected the game. Pretty sure we had something like 18 fouls to their 6, and there's no way we were that much dirtier than they were.

northern-hibee
28-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Have to disagree with that. Had Ian Black been sent off in the first ten minutes for his assault on Leigh then there's no way they win that game.

Anyway, Collum was crap yesterday but nothing that majorly effected the game. Pretty sure we had something like 18 fouls to their 6, and there's no way we were that much dirtier than they were.

The only way to stop this nonsense is to appoint foreign refs for big games like this. Our refs just aren't up to the job, especially when the old firm are involved, they just can't help themselves

Billy Whizz
28-05-2013, 07:53 PM
I didn't notice the 5/6 officials until about 70 mins into the game. Did they make any decisions?

Alfred E Newman
28-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Many baffling decisions given in favour of Celtic. These became even more apparent when similar tackles were not penalised when committed by Celtic and Collum waved play on. He was honking but it didn't really influence the game as such. It was one of the worst refereeing performances I've seen this season along with John Beaton against Ross County at Easter Road and Stevie O'Reilly against Motherwell at Fir Park (4-0 to us).

Thought he was ok though felt he could have given Griffiths a bit more protection when Celtic were taking turns to clatter him. As for John Beaton, I like him especially after the way he handled the Killie Cup tie.

fatbloke
28-05-2013, 08:19 PM

Never gave Hibs a decision of worth all day much the same as Craig Thomson's performance in last years final.

No saying if we had the best ref in the world on Sunday the result would of been any different but all we ask for is honesty and consistency.

I'm not suggesting there is a conspiracy theory or hidden agenda only asking the question on his performance

You would be better asking for him 2 stick a cucumber up his erchie - mair likely to happen:greengrin

snooky
28-05-2013, 08:21 PM
The only way to stop this nonsense is to appoint foreign refs for big games like this. Our refs just aren't up to the job, especially when the old firm are involved, they just can't help themselves

IMO, they're either basically awful, biased, intimidated, paid off, 'in the handshake club' - or any permutation of the former.

fatbloke
28-05-2013, 08:22 PM

Name translates to Pr1ck Pr1ck fitting.

ehf
28-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Every 50/50 went their way and in addition to that he gave a free kick everytime we put in a decent tackle and looked like breaking. Ruined our chances of getting a quick counter attack which is what we needed. It helped take Harris out the game .

That's how I saw it: every time we took the ball off them in midfield in a promising position, he blew his whistle. And you just knew he would never give us a free kick within range for Sparky.

Not the totally corrupt performance that Cheat Thomson put in last year, and we would have lost (to Celtic) anyway (I still think we were right back in it at half-time last year) but would be nice to have a level playing field for once.

And don't forget that our wait to win the Cup should have ended in 1979, when we were denied a stone-wall penalty by some masonic barsteward (Brian McGinlay?) in the last minute.

Alfred E Newman
28-05-2013, 09:15 PM
That's how I saw it: every time we took the ball off them in midfield in a promising position, he blew his whistle. And you just knew he would never give us a free kick within range for Sparky.

Not the totally corrupt performance that Cheat Thomson put in last year, and we would have lost (to Celtic) anyway (I still think we were right back in it at half-time last year) but would be nice to have a level playing field for once.

And don't forget that our wait to win the Cup should have ended in 1979, when we were denied a stone-wall penalty by some masonic barsteward (Brian McGinlay?) in the last minute.

We would have missed it! :brickwall

Saorsa
28-05-2013, 10:58 PM

I'm not suggesting there is a conspiracy theory or hidden agenda only asking the question on his performanceThought he was rotten TBH, but that's hardly anything new, maybe the ceptic fans will like him now though. However the better team on the day won this time and I think they would have with or without any rotten decisions from him.

LeighLoyal
28-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Not a cheat like Thomson but a traditional OF ref.

Big Frank
28-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Thought he was rotten gents.

Mark1875
28-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Got to be said was irritated by the number of soft fouls Celtic got that we didnt appear to get in similar incidents. I also think they were cuter or more cynical in making it clear to the ref that they had been fouled e.g girly screech with arms thrown out sort of thing. :greengrin

We do need to be more wordly wise in general for example Brown's OTT reaction to the Claros foul showed exactly why that sort of thing should have happened much, much earlier in the game. I do think we are seen as a soft touch by officials and that we dont get decisions other teams do in general.

I've thought this for a long time. I wouldn't want us to go to the other extreme and have 10 players surround the officials while screaming in their face. I do think that we need to stand up for ourselves a bit more though.

monktonharp
28-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Agreed. I think we gave away too many silly fouls more than anything else.so, these silly fouls. who got the benefit from them? yet you thought he was decent:confused:

neilmartinrocks
28-05-2013, 11:35 PM

No such thing as a 50/50 when you play the OF.:greengrin

Fergus52
28-05-2013, 11:47 PM
Nothing majorly controversial, but nearly every 50:50 went against us and he let the Celtic players away with far more than our own.

That wee fat baldie linesman was pretty bad too, I remember him being awful at ER a couple of times this season

lEXO
29-05-2013, 12:05 AM
[/B]

We would have missed it! :brickwallAlly Macloed would have tucked it away nicely. Just as he did in the second replay. :greengrin

Ryan69
29-05-2013, 02:09 AM
we never exactly played fantastic....but the referee was dire!

Did we even get a free-kick in the first half? I really cant remember one,Celtic seemed to get every decision he had to make!

whiskas
29-05-2013, 06:35 AM
Think everything has been covered. Doyle must havevdone something to mortally offend him at some point in the dim and distant past judging from the amount of times he got fouled in the first half.

Also the free kick Brown took to himself in the 2nd half sums the guy up. In terms of sheer refereeing incompetency it was up there with the English ref that booked a player 3 times in 1 game without sending him off!

Ultimately though he had little bearing on the result

Ryan91
29-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Never had any massive decisions to make but his performance is best described as awful from a consistency standpoint and he never really let the game flow terribly well.

When it comes to referees they can be crap, as long as they're consistently crap, making petty decisions against both teams.

Bill Milne
29-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Collum, according to the bloke behind me with a Weegie accent, was trying to avoid "getting his windows tanned in by the Tims". Have to say it seemed like that for most of the match. Then again, this was wholly in line with normal refereeing of an OF game when they are not playing each other.

jdships
29-05-2013, 09:38 AM
I've thought this for a long time. I wouldn't want us to go to the other extreme and have 10 players surround the officials while screaming in their face. I do think that we need to stand up for ourselves a bit more though.

Agree with your take !!
Thought he allowed Celtic to chat to him too much
Other than that he didn't really influence the game with his decisions

:flag:

JimBHibees
29-05-2013, 09:53 AM

Completely agree the Yams arent shy about this sort of thing and we should do the same. I think in many cases refs take the decision of least resistance so if they know he isnt really going to get a hard time against a particular team then he will choose that route.

hibs0666
29-05-2013, 04:48 PM

Performed much better than big Ben and Hanlon.