PDA

View Full Version : The curse ?

NAE NOOKIE
28-05-2013, 02:27 PM
OK .... I'm not one for irrational thinking, but I do believe there are many things humans in their arrogance dissmiss because they cant be explained by science or rational thought.

So whats the story? Is there a curse? If there is, who put it there and why? Lets face it, after 11 losing Scottish Cup finals in a row I'm prepared to consider anything to change our wretched luck !!!

I have heard a few stories in the past on this, none of which I can recall clearly enough to post, but I would be interested to hear from folk more clued up on the subject than me.

For instance: Dan McMichael. Could it be that the fact that Hibs last cup winning manager has lain within a stones throw of the stadium for nearly a century without the club doing anything to mark his resting place has a part to play in this. This is something I was unaware of until recent efforts by St Patricks branch to raise money for a head stone. Hats off to them.

And finally ......... If there is indeed a curse, meaning that even if we signed Messi, Ronaldo and the Byern Munich back 4 we still couldnt win the cup ............................ What the hell do we do about it :confused:

Waxy
28-05-2013, 02:35 PM
A hibby must have killed a gypsys black cat by smashing a mirror over it.

Waxy
28-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Whilst under a ladder

Waxy
28-05-2013, 02:37 PM
On a friday the 13th

Keith_M
28-05-2013, 02:38 PM
A hibby must have killed a gypsys black cat by smashing a mirror over it.

:greengrin

Anyway, to answer the OP...

No, I don't believe in that kind of b*ll*x. If we ever have a decent team, better than the opposition, and they actually turn up, we will win. It's got nothing to do with superstitious nonsense

Lester B
28-05-2013, 02:41 PM
OK .... I'm not one for irrational thinking, but I do believe there are many things humans in their arrogance dissmiss because they cant be explained by science or rational thought.

:

Name three!

lapsedhibee
28-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Name three!

Homeopathy, yamathematics, God.

Cauld Bovril
28-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Name three!

Aliens, ghosts and Shefki Kuqi?

GreenArmyyy!
28-05-2013, 02:48 PM
I don't believe in a curse but what I do believe is that whenever Hibs make it in to the final, the longer we don't win it is making it harder and harder to win it because no matter how we prepare for finals I feel there is always going to be more pressure on us than the opposition which makes it tougher to perform well.

Lester B
28-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Homeopathy, yamathematics, God.

:not worth:top marks

Lester B
28-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Aliens, ghosts and Shefki Kuqi?

nah that's three things that will never score for Hibs!

Spike Mandela
28-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Yip it's nothing to do with criminal defending of two cross balls by incompetent defenders in the first half. It's obviously a curse.:wink:

Hibbyradge
28-05-2013, 03:07 PM
There's no curse.

We've just been unfortunate enough to play teams which were much stronger than us in the final.

The 1947 final was arguably our best post war chance as we had finished above Aberdeen in the league. We were second, but Aberdeen were only 5 points behind in third. After scoring in the first minute, we lost 2 in the first half and there were no more goals.

People tell me that Hibs only had to turn up against Clyde in 1958 to win it, but that's wrong. Hibs finished 9th with 31 points. Clyde were third with 42.

1972 we faced Celtic at the apex of their 9 in a row team. We were great, but they were better.

1979 Rangers were second, Hibs 5th. 2 draws, a stonewall penalty denied and an own goal in the second replay sealed our fate.

Hibs had a good season in 2001/1. We finished in third place with 66 points. Excellent stuff until you realise our cup final opponents finished first, 31 points ahead!

In 2012 we were in relegation trouble all season and played a team which had recruited players it couldn't afford and didn't pay. It's incredible that we even got to the final and regardless of refereeing decisions etc, realistically, we had no chance.

This year, Celtic were streets ahead again.

We'll win it next year though.

Onwards and upwards.

Lester B
28-05-2013, 03:13 PM
There's no curse.

We've just been unfortunate enough to play teams which were much stronger than us in the final.

The 1947 final was arguably our best post war chance as we had finished above Aberdeen in the league. We were second, but Aberdeen were only 5 points behind in third. After scoring in the first minute, we lost 2 in the first half and there were no more goals.

People tell me that Hibs only had to turn up against Clyde in 1958 to win it, but that's wrong. Hibs finished 9th with 31 points. Clyde were third with 42.

1979 Rangers were second, Hibs 5th. 2 draws, a stonewall penalty denied and an own goal in the second replay sealed our fate.

Hibs had a good season in 2001/1. We finished in third place with 66 points. Excellent stuff until you realise our cup final opponents finished first, 31 points ahead!

In 2012 we were in relegation trouble all season and played a team which had recruited players it couldn't afford and didn't pay. It's incredible that we even got to the final and regardless of refereeing decisions etc, realistically, we had no chance.

Onwards and upwards.

Ah, all logical and convincing. Then the second last sentence:crazy:

Danderhall Hibs
28-05-2013, 03:18 PM
I think there is a curse. Latapy and Sauzee in 2001, Mcpake and Griffiths in 2013.

NAE NOOKIE
28-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Now pay attention class :slipper:

I was ( in a lighthearted way ) looking for any stories folk might have about any alleged curse and where it came from. On the basis that folk set aside rationality for the sake of some fun and come up with ways to break it.

Some funny replies though :greengrin

lapsedhibee
28-05-2013, 03:39 PM
There's no curse.

Onwards and upwards.

Correct data (and you can add in 1972 to that), but wrong conclusion. If that's not a curse, meeting a better team every single time you reach the final, what is? :dunno:

Mister P
28-05-2013, 03:44 PM
I had 2 green pints of lager fir luck, in a club on the way through. Damn the rest if you for not doing the same.

However, if we were to make it to the final next year for the third consecutive year, I'd happily to a rain dance, voodoo spell, dance naked under a full moon, anything to maybe increase our chances!!

Waxy
28-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Someone might have been at it?
Swapping Ben Williams footie boots with an astronauts boots?

Golden Bear
28-05-2013, 05:00 PM
I'm sure I read something about this damned curse in the book "100 years of Hibs" - but I can't find my copy to confirm.

It was something to do with the Club's decision to remove the Harp emblem from the old stand and apparently this didn't go down well with some Irish gypsy wench so she put in a curse on the Club. Apparently it would not be removed until such time that the Harp was restored to it's original position.

Or something like that. I think.

Moon unit
28-05-2013, 07:11 PM

So whats the story? Is there a curse? If there is, who put it there and why? Lets face it, after 11 losing Scottish Cup finals in a row I'm prepared to consider anything to change our wretched luck !!!

I have heard a few stories in the past on this, none of which I can recall clearly enough to post, but I would be interested to hear from folk more clued up on the subject than me.

For instance: Dan McMichael. Could it be that the fact that Hibs last cup winning manager has lain within a stones throw of the stadium for nearly a century without the club doing anything to mark his resting place has a part to play in this. This is something I was unaware of until recent efforts by St Patricks branch to raise money for a head stone. Hats off to them.

And finally ......... If there is indeed a curse, meaning that even if we signed Messi, Ronaldo and the Byern Munich back 4 we still couldnt win the cup ............................ What the hell do we do about it :confused:
See the Harp thread!!!

Hibbyradge
28-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Correct data (and you can add in 1972 to that), but wrong conclusion. If that's not a curse, meeting a better team every single time you reach the final, what is? :dunno:

Meant to include 72. Now done.

Thanks.

heretoday
28-05-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm fed up hearing about the Scottish Cup "curse". Big deal. We'll win it eventually - probably in some year when ourselves and say Aberdeen make the final.

hibby rae
28-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Unfortunately Easter Road was built on top of a Native American burial ground.

Miguel
28-05-2013, 11:05 PM
There is no curse, although there may have been a bit of bad luck over the years, but a bit of not turning up and facing superior teams as well. The key is to get to finals. The more we get to, the greater chance of winning one. We didn't get to a final for 15 years between 1887-1902. The intervals since have been: 12, 11, 1, 23, 11, 14, 7, 22, 11 and 1. Let's just make finals more steadily frequent and...

Hibrandenburg
29-05-2013, 06:06 AM
Well it's definitely not me. I was literally not even on the planet for the duration of the game.