PDA

View Full Version : Central Midfield 2013/2014

Cocaine&Caviar
28-05-2013, 11:30 AM
This is no doubt our most competetive area of the team next season, even with the loan players leaving and others, with the youth players coming back, theres is a great amount of options to PF to choose from next season.

Thought I would start a wee poll to see what people think is the best combo for next season, whether it be a 3 or 2 man central midfield?

Fergus52
28-05-2013, 11:54 AM
I voted for who I'd have as back up as well.

Should have read the OP before voting, apologies.

neilmartinrocks
28-05-2013, 11:59 AM
went for 3 man mf Craig Claros and Taiwo
I take it from your post and the one above its just your first choice and no backup's?

Onceinawhile
28-05-2013, 12:01 PM
5 man midfield for me.

Taiwo AN Other (Claros hopefully)
Harris Craig Cairney

MB62
28-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Would have voted for Claros but he won't be here next season.
No Alex Harris?

Fergus52
28-05-2013, 12:06 PM
5 man midfield for me.

Taiwo AN Other (Claros hopefully)
Harris Craig Cairney

If we can get cairney back to top form that would be an excellent midfield.

Could do with signing another wide player to compete for places though.

Cocaine&Caviar
28-05-2013, 12:06 PM
For me it all depends on if we can get Leigh back; if so, then 2 holding midfielders, with a creative CM ahead of them and Leigh on his own.

____________Taiwo______Thomson
______________Craig/Cairney
Harris___________________________New LW
________________Leigh

Release Deegan, OTJ a physical option in the squad, Claros or Taiwo too hard to call.

However, if we need a replacement then 2 new strikers in a 4-4-2, big man, little man:

SlickShoes
28-05-2013, 12:21 PM
I think Tom Taiwo has been excellent, so has Jorge, what we really miss is the old Scott Brown that would run from midfield and attack teams.

I think Liam Craig will be a great addition to the team as we badly need goals from midfield.

Kevin Thomson looks no better than what we have, I think if Jorge's team at home don't let him come back we will sign KT, if Jorge comes back then KT will get let go, since we need the money badly to shore up left/right back and buy griffiths.

Personally i'd rather have Claros than Thomson, Claros can still get better, Thomson is as good as he is going to get now and has a injury history.

The Leith Dutch
28-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Following the semi final against Falkirk I'm inclined to say we should never play 3 CMs (or at least not in the style we did there).

Don't get me wrong - I'd probably have picked the same team Pat Fenlon started with against Falkirk but the way that game unfolded
in the first half suggested that if we have 3 very similar players occupying the middle of the park then it doesn't work.

In the second half it looked as though two players could be organised, know what the other was doing and cover each other.

When you added the third I got the distinct impression that they were always either assuming one of the other MFs would cover or all going for the same ball and
the end result was that we'd almost wasted a player.

What we badly need in Midfield is some variety - a Beuzelin style player who can slip the front guys in this a cheeky wee pass; someone who can take a shot or make runs into the box.

At the very least we need some definition - if there are three central playing midfielders then one has to have a different role.
Either be a creative point man or one who hangs back and either spoils or is the guy you play everything to (the way Liam Miller did in that first half season under Yogi).

I'd also like a little height - a quick sketch of Wikipedia suggests that if Wotherspoon goes then we won't have any midfielders above 5'9"

Or Christiano Ronaldo for the wide role :D

MacBean
28-05-2013, 12:27 PM
I'd also like a little height - a quick sketch of Wikipedia suggests that if Wotherspoon goes then we won't have any midfielders above 5'9"

Robertson and Craig are taller than 5' 9"

The Leith Dutch
28-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Robertson and Craig are taller than 5' 9"

Forgot to check Liam Craig (D'oh)

Robertson is down at 5'8" - looks a little taller I'll give you that ;)

green.and.white
28-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Where has this Tudor-Jones chat come from? Is it a done deal waiting to be announced or just a rumour? Seems a good player, big lad too which is what we lack in midfield.

andrew70
28-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Robertson Horribine Craig
...supporting...
Handling Caldwell Harris...

J-C
28-05-2013, 12:41 PM
I voted for Stevenson but would prefer to see him as our starting LB

Fergus52
28-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Forgot to check Liam Craig (D'oh)

Robertson is down at 5'8" - looks a little taller I'll give you that ;)

Robertsons Wikipedia height is way off

jonny
28-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Where has this Tudor-Jones chat come from? Is it a done deal waiting to be announced or just a rumour? Seems a good player, big lad too which is what we lack in midfield.

I've heard this from a few of places now, nothing from anyone who actually claims to have a solid source, more along the lines of other folk who have heard the rumour from other folk. I don't know much about him - only that he's played a handful of games for Wales and has been a regular for ICT this year.

The Leith Dutch
28-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Robertsons Wikipedia height is way off

Aye - he does look a bit bigger right enough.
(Soccerbase has him at 5'6" which is further off but a few other sources have him at 6 foot so probably closer to the mark).

If we see more of the pass he played to set up Caldwell in the derby and no more "shots" like the one against Falkirk
he can be four foot **** all for all I care :)

MagicSwirlingShip
28-05-2013, 12:59 PM
If I were Fenlon, I'd be building my Midfield around Taiwo.

Class Player :not worth

rainman
28-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Let's be honest, outside of Celtic, the league is crap. 4-5-1 should be used away to Celtic but in every other game, we should be having a go. In a 4-4-2, there's only room for 1 holding midfielder and one attacking midfielder.

If we were to hold onto Claros, you'd have to say he's the holding midfielder. From form this year, you'd have to say Craig fits the bill perfectly for the attacking midfielder, but then so did Robertson on paper and he still might. As good as Taiwo is and Thomson could be, there is no room for 3 holding midfielders in any team. 4 if you include Deegan. Harris looks best on the left so we should really only be looking for a right midfielder.

If we could keep Griffiths then a strike partner for him must be the priority, a big strong target man preferably.

We seem to be ok for centre halves and Fenlon will have to assess Clancy before deciding on what to do there. Maybury is no more than a squad player and I'm sure Fenlon knew that when he signed him.

Keeping McGivern would be great, Stevenson can do a job in there but let's be honest, Stevenson is as consistent as they come and you can measure the strength of a Hibs team by his performances. If he is the best player on the park, the team are usually struggling. If he can't make the team, we're usually doing a bit better. We should be looking to do better with Stevenson falling into the same category as Maybury.

2 full backs, a right midfielder and a big striker required for me. If Griffithds doesn't come back, money needs to be spent to replace his goals.

Cocaine&Caviar
28-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Anyone reckon Wotherspoon could replicate his Scotland U21 form if played in the hole behind Leigh (if he stays). Thomson & Taiwo protecting behind him, Harris and an other wide.

Hes got a creative brain, and a lack of pace out wide.

The Leith Dutch
28-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Anyone reckon Wotherspoon could replicate his Scotland U21 form if played in the hole behind Leigh (if he stays). Thomson & Taiwo protecting behind him, Harris and an other wide.

You've nailed one of the big problems with Wotherspoon which is pace (or lack of it).
He's got some nice little tricks to beat a man but then he just gets caught up before he can do much.

Unfortunately he also seems to be a real confidence player and combined with him not offering anything defensively it
means that he becomes anonymous in an awful lot of games.

I forget against who but earlier on this season he pinged a perfect long pass from the centre of the park with the outside of his foot that was sublime
but he just hasn't done that kind of thing often enough. To be fair - if he could replicate that pass and that wonderful dipping shot he hit against Caley Thistle
on a semi regular basis he'd probably be playing at a higher level.

He's a player that I don't think we can ever get the best out of at Hibs but it worries me that in another team he'll
come back to haunt us.

green.and.white
28-05-2013, 02:02 PM

Well if you look at Griffith's goal against hearts at ER at the start of the season, it was Spoony that came inside and slotted the ball through. Also against Well he scored a cracker from a central position. Maybe worth a go.

Stringer
28-05-2013, 02:16 PM
I have been saying this for a while. Spoony is not a wide player. He should be playing number 10, you don't need much pace to play that position. His passing and shooting around the box is great.

Handling. Wotherspoon. Harris

New. Striker or Leigh

Bleeds green
28-05-2013, 04:40 PM
It won't let me vote?

Waxy
28-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Keep Wotherspoon.We need goalscorers from midfield.
Every successful team has goalscorers throughout.

allezsauzee
28-05-2013, 05:20 PM
I'm not sure i would describe Wotherspoon as a goalscoring midfielder. His goalscoring record isn't that great. When he's on his game he is really good, but his head goes down too easily

frazeHFC
28-05-2013, 05:23 PM
went for 3 man mf Craig Claros and Taiwo

:agree:

Piqué
28-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Just feel we need more creativity in there, all we seem to have are holding midfielders. Look at the Motherwell midfield McFadden - Law - Lasley- Humphrey. None of them are really defensively minded yet they have still managed to get second place. More positive midfielders required - Craig is a good start.

Cocaine&Caviar
30-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Looks like a Craig, Taiwo & Claros trio then.

Personally Thomson has to be in there for me, also potentially as captain.