PDA

View Full Version : The New Golden Generation

HibeeHendo
27-05-2013, 10:11 PM
I'm not trying to get ahead of myself here but does anyone think the young laddies who have started breaking into the first 11 can match the previous lot, or is it too early to tell?

I know I'm clutching at straws for thread titles but I'm tired of talking about yesterday :greengrin

Jonnyboy
27-05-2013, 10:12 PM
I'm not trying to get ahead of myself here but does anyone think the young laddies who have started breaking into the first 11 can match the previous lot, or is it too early to tell?

I know I'm clutching at straws for thread titles but I'm tired of talking about yesterday :greengrin

Too early for that kind of additional pressure IMO

#FromTheCapital
27-05-2013, 10:17 PM
To be honest Harris is the only one who looks close to the kind of players we were producing a few years ago. I'm still not convinced about Handling and Caldwell, next season will be big for them both. Forster looks like he could be a good player but too early to tell at the moment.

Shrekko
27-05-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm just delighted we've got another batch of young guys good enough to be in and around the squad. All the managerial disruption and mass influx of loanees/journeyman every season was making it virtually impossible to blood them properly.

A good core of solid pro's and management stability will give these boys the chance they need and if they are good enough they'll make it. At the moment I'd say Harrris is the stand-out but the other 3 have all shown they have something. Even if they become the next Hanlon or Stevenson type decent pro's then i won't complain.

Jones28
27-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Harris and Forster look better than our previous bunch IMO, but it's too early to be piling on that kind of pressure.

Kaff
27-05-2013, 10:54 PM
I'm just delighted we've got another batch of young guys good enough to be in and around the squad. All the managerial disruption and mass influx of loanees/journeyman every season was making it virtually impossible to blood them properly.

A good core of solid pro's and management stability will give these boys the chance they need and if they are good enough they'll make it. At the moment I'd say Harrris is the stand-out but the other 3 have all shown they have something. Even if they become the next Hanlon or Stevenson type decent pro's then i won't complain.

Absolutely agree, no shame in producing your own steady pro's rather than scratching around the lower leagues for them.
Including Griffiths I counted 8 of the players who made it onto the park had been in the Hibs youth and Murdoch was obviously an unused sub. That was the main motivation for me backing the team when it was a lost cause, I hope those boys can appreciate that this is where to kick on from and approach their careers with professionalism and if they do there will be another diamond or two come through too.

hibee19
27-05-2013, 11:43 PM
I'm excited to see what they're going to do and I think thats more than we could say for a good few years. Best of luck to them all.

On a related note did I read somewhere that Forster is out of contract this summer?

Fergus52
27-05-2013, 11:48 PM
I'm excited to see what they're going to do and I think thats more than we could say for a good few years. Best of luck to them all.

On a related note did I read somewhere that Forster is out of contract this summer?

I hope he isn't, I don't think he is though.

Even if he was I'd imagine that we'll sign him up pretty quickly.

hibee19
27-05-2013, 11:57 PM
I hope he isn't, I don't think he is though.

Even if he was I'd imagine that we'll sign him up pretty quickly.

It was here...

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/dundee/220545-the-129-spl-players-who-will-be-out-of-contract-at-the-end-of-the-season/

I imagine we will sign him up though.

Sir David Gray
28-05-2013, 12:01 AM
Much too soon to be speaking about these players in those terms.

Alex Harris looks like a really exciting prospect and I am really looking forward to watching him next season but it'll take some doing for them to match the performances of the youngsters we had under Mowbray.

Billychaotic182
28-05-2013, 12:09 AM
Andy Black and jamie beaton are two to look out for too

Fergus52
28-05-2013, 12:16 AM
Andy Black and jamie beaton are two to look out for too

what about Jay Doyle?

you reckon we could see much of him next season at all?

macd123
28-05-2013, 12:53 AM
It's easy to forget how raw brown and whittaker looked at 19. We have about 5 or 6 really exciting players. If you think sam stanton has been regarded as the best of the lot then he should get game time. Also interesting that bradley donaldson was picked for scotland u20s ahead of forster.

Lets tie these guys down for a couple of years.

jakeshibs
28-05-2013, 01:40 AM
looking forward to next season, exciting times ahead.:flag:

Beefster
28-05-2013, 05:14 AM
Way too early. Forster will be the pick of the lot though.

Treadstone
28-05-2013, 07:46 AM
The knock on effect for me is one of the most pleasing aspects. Young players seeing a clear route to the first team can only be a good thing. Relative to scottish football last year was the worst Hibs team I have ever seen and no young players could break into a team of loan signings and charlatans. This season they have shown when used that they have something and we would like to see a little more of them. The future is certainly brighter than 16 months ago.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-05-2013, 08:21 AM
When we are looking at new players for next season we should make sure that they are better than the youngsters. I would rather have three quality players to compliment what we have rather than six or seven joe averages.

truehibernian
28-05-2013, 08:40 AM
To be honest Harris is the only one who looks close to the kind of players we were producing a few years ago. I'm still not convinced about Handling and Caldwell, next season will be big for them both. Forster looks like he could be a good player but too early to tell at the moment.

Danny is a great footballer, being played in a new role which is a little foreign to him. Even in the 20's he's being played a little deeper than he is used to, which for me shows when he gets minutes in the top team - Danny is a goal scorer and very much like Kenny Miller in his youth. I'd play him up top with Ross pre-season, that's his natural position. I've watched a few U20 games this season with Danny playing a more attacking midfielder role and it's his quick feet and football brain that gets him through games - but for me you can just tell he's itching to get up front and score goals.

Ross is a striker who will try all day, miss 5 chances but score the all important one. He's actually very ahtletic and I'm surprised he's being labelled as a 'target man' when in reality he isn't. He runs channels all day and links up well - but has a natural goal scorers instinct which has already shown in his limited runs in the first team.

Sam Stanton is coming back from an injury - needs to bulk up a little for me as the rigours of the SPL midfields will perhaps engulf him a wee bit at times. But very very technically gifted boy, great with both feet and like Harris has this uncanny ability to make a few yards due to his brain and feet doing the work, not lightening pace.

Dean Horribine is the one PF rates highly - I'm personally on the fence with DH, not because I don't rate him, but because I feel we need a very different type of midfielder to compliment Craig, Robertson and Taiwo. He reminds me very much of Jody Morris, maybe a wee bit more offensive.

If Jay Doyle keeps his head down (and his mouth shut during games :greengrin), keep a wee eye on him - I think he'll be a great striker. Very much like Ross, but has a real poachers instinct. I love his attitude during games though - not arrogant, but a 'hate getting beat' by anyone. Just needs to channel it slightly.

The best bit though - they all love beating Hearts......none are afraid of them and they all want to win games against them, not be fearful of losing them. That's been a bug bear of mine with the top team over the years. I'd pay week in week out to see that raised hand of Ross's when his shot hit the back of the net - it was a 'never in doubt' mentality - love it !

I'll reiterate what I said last week though - on my limited viewings of Andy Black and young Baptie (right and left backs) I honestly feel they have the talent to step up, maybe not next season but certainly the year after. What struck me this year about the young lads was the real togetherness and team bond they have. Which shows when a few have been told they are being released (young Harry M for example). The coaches have done a superb job this year.

Keith_M
28-05-2013, 08:41 AM
I certainly wouldn't label them in this manner. I would prefer to think of it (or maybe hope) that this is a return to producing our own players and giving them a chance to shine.

I have to say, I wasn't previously convinced by Fenlon's desire to see the younger players given a chance but hopefully this is now what he wants to do.

Makaveli
28-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Danny is a great footballer, being played in a new role which is a little foreign to him. Even in the 20's he's being played a little deeper than he is used to, which for me shows when he gets minutes in the top team - Danny is a goal scorer and very much like Kenny Miller in his youth. I'd play him up top with Ross pre-season, that's his natural position. I've watched a few U20 games this season with Danny playing a more attacking midfielder role and it's his quick feet and football brain that gets him through games - but for me you can just tell he's itching to get up front and score goals.

Ross is a striker who will try all day, miss 5 chances but score the all important one. He's actually very ahtletic and I'm surprised he's being labelled as a 'target man' when in reality he isn't. He runs channels all day and links up well - but has a natural goal scorers instinct which has already shown in his limited runs in the first team.

Sam Stanton is coming back from an injury - needs to bulk up a little for me as the rigours of the SPL midfields will perhaps engulf him a wee bit at times. But very very technically gifted boy, great with both feet and like Harris has this uncanny ability to make a few yards due to his brain and feet doing the work, not lightening pace.

Dean Horribine is the one PF rates highly - I'm personally on the fence with DH, not because I don't rate him, but because I feel we need a very different type of midfielder to compliment Craig, Robertson and Taiwo. He reminds me very much of Jody Morris, maybe a wee bit more offensive.

If Jay Doyle keeps his head down (and his mouth shut during games :greengrin), keep a wee eye on him - I think he'll be a great striker. Very much like Ross, but has a real poachers instinct. I love his attitude during games though - not arrogant, but a 'hate getting beat' by anyone. Just needs to channel it slightly.

The best bit though - they all love beating Hearts......none are afraid of them and they all want to win games against them, not be fearful of losing them. That's been a bug bear of mine with the top team over the years. I'd pay week in week out to see that raised hand of Ross's when his shot hit the back of the net - it was a 'never in doubt' mentality - love it !

I'll reiterate what I said last week though - on my limited viewings of Andy Black and young Baptie (right and left backs) I honestly feel they have the talent to step up, maybe not next season but certainly the year after. What struck me this year about the young lads was the real togetherness and team bond they have. Which shows when a few have been told they are being released (young Harry M for example). The coaches have done a superb job this year.

Great post. I agree with 99% of it.

Personally I've been more impressed by Stanton than Harris when I've seen the U20s. Donaldson has often stood out ahead of Forster. Handling excites me more than Caldwell.

... When you consider how well Harris, Forster and Caldwell have done in the first team, that bodes well!

oconnors_strip
28-05-2013, 10:32 AM
what about Jay Doyle?

you reckon we could see much of him next season at all?

No, he is not ready to be near first team, still got a lot to learn. But he is a very talented laddie

oconnors_strip
28-05-2013, 10:34 AM

Forster signed a new one year deal a month ago, hibs haven't announced it but he told fans about it on twitter

truehibernian
28-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Forster signed a new one year deal a month ago, hibs haven't announced it but he told fans about it on twitter

What about young Andy Black nikki ? I'd be tempted to look for him to go on loan next season - absolutely love his work ethic and energy in games. My only concern is his height for a full back but if wee Lewis can play there then this lad could make right back his own in a couple of years. I've been well impressed with him.

oconnors_strip
28-05-2013, 03:27 PM
What about young Andy Black nikki ? I'd be tempted to look for him to go on loan next season - absolutely love his work ethic and energy in games. My only concern is his height for a full back but if wee Lewis can play there then this lad could make right back his own in a couple of years. I've been well impressed with him.

black is a very talented right back, a typical full back imo. he likes getting down that wing crossing the ball in....what more could we want at hibs? :greengrin i think he will stay at hibs and learn more and progress with the good coaching of james and pat. yes i agree he is a bit shorter but ive seen many good short full backs in the game and also he is still growing upwards and he is always in the gym so isnt pushed off the ball easily.

JimBHibees
28-05-2013, 03:41 PM
The fact we are now playing some of the young kids is a massive plus for the team and also for the kids themselves and their contemporaries in lower age levels. Hibs need to be seen as a club where talented youngsters are in and about the first team as we dont have masses of money swilling around. It is the most positive aspect of the last part of the season IMO the opportunities that the young players have had and bodes well for next season.