PDA

View Full Version : We should have threw everything at them

Hibercelona
27-05-2013, 07:46 PM
When we were 2-0 down, we should have threw everything (including the kitchen sink) at Celtic, we had nothing else to lose at that point.

Why didn't we do that? We didn't change our shape or anything. We were still trying to play as if the scoreline were still at 0-0.

I know i'll no doubt get the usual "yam at the windup" treatment or whatever. But it's something that troubles me greatly.

We should have just charged at them with everything we had.

Wheat Hound
27-05-2013, 07:49 PM
I think memories of last year stopped PF from such an approach. 3-0 ain't great but any more of a margin and more questions would have been asked.

Northernhibee
27-05-2013, 07:51 PM
If we'd thrown everything at them we'd have left ourselves much more open to the likes of Stokes and Hooper and crosses down the wings, lord knows Maybury ain't got the pace to track back at the speed required.

At 2-0 we only really needed the one goal to get things going, at 3-0 we were totally out of it. It was vital at 2-0 we didn't concede another as such.

Know what you're getting at though, we needed to go for half chances and I don't think we tested their keeper enough, even speculatively.

bingo70
27-05-2013, 07:53 PM
It was important we never got humiliated again.

Hibercelona
27-05-2013, 07:53 PM
If we'd thrown everything at them we'd have left ourselves much more open to the likes of Stokes and Hooper and crosses down the wings, lord knows Maybury ain't got the pace to track back at the speed required.

At 2-0 we only really needed the one goal to get things going, at 3-0 we were totally out of it. It was vital at 2-0 we didn't concede another as such.

Know what you're getting at though, we needed to go for half chances and I don't think we tested their keeper enough, even speculatively.

We just never looked like scoring once the 2nd goal went in.

We needed to change things and go at it. We were never going to get back into the game otherwise.

Heisenberg
27-05-2013, 07:54 PM
We went for it from the start. Lost two goals. Game over. Had we gone for it more we would've been utterly destroyed. The change in formation to 4-5-1 saw us be more solid but hopeless in attack, like nearly every other time we've played with it. Thomson shouldn't have started on the left, poor decision by the manager.

Hibercelona
27-05-2013, 07:56 PM
It was important we never got humiliated again.

Well I don't know about you, but i'm more humiliated that we didn't have a go.

What's the point being there if it's about "avoiding humiliation" over making a go of it?

Pretty Boy
27-05-2013, 07:58 PM
We started 442 and set out to attack. We looked good for the first few minutes and could, maybe should, have gone ahead. However it started to become blindingly obvious that Celtic were tearing us apart out wide. Losing an early goal was disastrous really and conceding another cheap goal so soon after meant it was imperative we didn't concede again before half time.

I agree with about 20 to go we should have went for it but I can understand why PF shut up shop after the 2nd went in. Hindsight is a wonderful think but maybe starting 442 was a bit naive.

ggth
When we were 2-0 down, we should have threw everything (including the kitchen sink) at Celtic, we had nothing else to lose at that point.

Why didn't we do that? We didn't change our shape or anything. We were still trying to play as if the scoreline were still at 0-0.

I know i'll no doubt get the usual "yam at the windup" treatment or whatever. But it's something that troubles me greatly.

Spot on m8, Fenlon was Paranoid about losing heavily again in a SCF. What I can't get my head around, is what did Fenlon do to the team after we beat Celtic at the tail end of last year?
From then till the seasons end, it was the same old chit as the previous season

Hibercelona
We went for it from the start. Lost two goals. Game over. Had we gone for it more we would've been utterly destroyed. The change in formation to 4-5-1 saw us be more solid but hopeless in attack, like nearly every other time we've played with it. Thomson shouldn't have started on the left, poor decision by the manager.

I remember saying before the game that i'd rather we lost 6-3 than 3-0.

I still stand by that.

blackpoolhibs
27-05-2013, 08:04 PM
We went for it and ended up 2 down, thats why Doyle dropped back. He should have taken Griffiths off after 20 minutes, he couldn't run and we then had 1 up front trying to shut down 4 defenders and make runs into space to receive the ball.

How did you expect that to work Pat? :rolleyes:

TornadoHibby
27-05-2013, 08:09 PM
We just never looked like scoring once the 2nd goal went in.

We needed to change things and go at it. We were never going to get back into the game otherwise.

Potentially controversial I accept but at half time I offered the view to my company that if we could "unsettle" Scott Brown with a couple of firm(ish) tackles one after another then he might just react in a way which might suit us! :wink:

When Claros caught him and he "lost the plot" I was hoping that Taiwo or Thomson would repeat the medicine quickly just to see if it would "tip him over the edge"!

It didn't happen so my theory was never tested and Brown continued to hold their midfield upper hand!

Not exactly in the sporting spirit but it might just have worked had that second tackle happened close to the first when Broonies "red mist" was still circling his rational thinking processes!

Holmesdale Hibs
27-05-2013, 08:25 PM

I agree with most of this and I was pretty disappointed with the second half performance. We never really looked like scoring and it was a bit of a non-event.

I get that Celtic are a good team and I'm not faulting our players for effort, but I thought we could have done a bit more.

skipster7
27-05-2013, 08:29 PM

I think Pat tried to get the team that played against Hearts out there with Doyle in for Caldwell. imo Harris could have got at Lustig much more as he's nowhere near as good as the LB but he would had to have started with 5 in the middle or not start Thomson. Hindsights a wonderful thing right enough but maybe 451 would have been the way to start.
The first goal saw Mcgivern have to go out to Lustig because Thomson was posted missing, Maybury should have done better with the clearance, both Hanlon and Mcgivern allowed Hooper a free run and Williams left him with a ridiculously easy tap in by wandering of his line.A terrible cheap goal which knocked the stuffing out of us and allowed them to settle.So frustrating.

Borderhibbie76
27-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Fenlon cant win...had he started 4 5 1 on here and we lost he would have been crucified!! He went for it and had we scored first who knows what may have happened!!

Jonnyboy
27-05-2013, 08:35 PM
My view on this is that Celtic's tactics of hunting down whichever Hibs player had the ball pretty much stymied any hopes of throwing everything at them

One Day Soon
27-05-2013, 08:37 PM

Once we were 2-0 down we were needing a minor miracle. You go throwing the kitchen sink at them and you might get lucky. Against that Celtc side with their pace and quality (not brilliant but a lot higher a level than us) you are far more likely to concede on the counter attack. I didn't like losing 3-0 but I sure as hell didn't want to see them getting caned by 4, 5 or more. Sure, he could have made the subs earlier and Griffiths was done well, well before he was taken off.

I think what a lot of people are struggling with is accepting that this Hibs team was always a very, very long shot to beat that Celtc team in the final. No amount of wishing it otherwise changes that.

I don't know about anyone else but I've had enough of the utter 5hite rooted in Calderwood's reign and I'm more than willing to wait while Fenlon continues rebuilding the team and the squad as long as we continue to see improvement.

Put it another way, I can cope with yesterday as long as I believe that this manager can get us to another final at a time when we are ready to win it. Right now I do believe that.

Stringer
27-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Griffiths should not have played at all.

lEXO
27-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Fenlon cant win...had he started 4 5 1 on here and we lost he would have been crucified!! He went for it and had we scored first who knows what may have happened!!
Aye. And if we had taken a real battering he would get even more stick than normal. Some folk will never be happy though, that's how it is.

blackpoolhibs
27-05-2013, 08:39 PM

100% correct. :agree:

lEXO
27-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Once we were 2-0 down we were needing a minor miracle. You go throwing the kitchen sink at them and you might get lucky. Against that Celtc side with their pace and quality (not brilliant but a lot higher a level than us) you are far more likely to concede on the counter attack. I didn't like losing 3-0 but I sure as hell didn't want to see them getting caned by 4, 5 or more. Sure, he could have made the subs earlier and Griffiths was done well, well before he was taken off.

I think what a lot of people are struggling with is accepting that this Hibs team was always a very, very long shot to beat that Celtc team in the final. No amount of wishing it otherwise changes that.

I don't know about anyone else but I've had enough of the utter 5hite rooted in Calderwood's reign and I'm more than willing to wait while Fenlon continues rebuilding the team and the squad as long as we continue to see improvement.

Put it another way, I can cope with yesterday as long as I believe that this manager can get us to another final at a time when we are ready to win it. Right now I do believe that.
Quality post..:aok:

skipster7
27-05-2013, 08:46 PM
i agree m8, i was saying this last night.Thomson kept drifting inside leaving McGivern v 2. Overall though with a half fit Sparky their movement of their front 2, commons etc was far superior to ours and they deserved their win.

skipster7
27-05-2013, 08:52 PM

dont know about that, he was desperate to play and the form hes been in would always have started, even at 80% hes still our biggest threat. him being absent would have deflated the team and the support imo.

Speedway
27-05-2013, 08:54 PM
My view on this is that Celtic's tactics of hunting down whichever Hibs player had the ball pretty much stymied any hopes of throwing everything at them

Which they were both more than fit and fast enough to do very effectively, including two men on Harris through the first half.

bingo70
27-05-2013, 08:56 PM

Lot of over analysing about formations etc when basically you've just summed it up in three lines imo.

Wotherspiniesta
27-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Its easy to say we should have thrown everything at them. But Celtic were 2 goals up. They're the best team in the league, with the best defence in the league. When they got 2 nil up, they did what all good teams do. Keep their shape, defend well, press the ball when you can and play counter attacking football. We were maybe a little slow in possesion at times for our liking, but when you've got a wall of players in front of you, its hard to pick defence splitting passes.

I think with the amount of possesion we had and the amount of encouragement the team were getting, if we'd got a little break in front of goal we could have taken the game to extra time, but it was a helluva lot to ask.

I was proud of our performance yesterday. The players can feel proud of their cup run. We were just beaten by a better, more clinical football team.

Northernhibee
27-05-2013, 09:13 PM

You can only imagine the reaction on here if he hadn't played. Not saying that you're wrong or that he should have played, but really I think PF would have been under a lot more fire had Sparky not been involved.

Hibercelona
27-05-2013, 09:20 PM

You're right, we needed a minor miracle to get back from being 2-0 down. But the minor miracle was never going to happen without taking risks.

We just didn't seem to be prepared to take any risks at the "fear" of conceding more goals.

I thought the fear factor was something we were working towards stamping out? But it still seems to be very much alive at the club and I can't help but feel great disappointment about it.

I know Celtic are a far stronger side than we are and I can accept losing to them when they're at the very top of their game. But I didn't feel that Celtic had to work that hard for their goals. They just seemed to come far too easily.

Jonnyboy
27-05-2013, 09:21 PM
You're right, we needed a minor miracle to get back from being 2-0 down. But the minor miracle was never going to happen without taking risks.

We just didn't seem to be prepared to take any risks at the "fear" of conceding more goals.

I thought the fear factor was something we were working towards stamping out? But it still seems to be very much alive at the club and I can't help but feel great disappointment about it.

I know Celtic are a far stronger side than we are and I can accept losing to them when they're at the very top of their game. But I didn't feel that Celtic had to work that hard for their goals. They just seemed to come far too easily.

So given the various points of view regarding your concerns, who are you actually blaming?

Hibercelona
27-05-2013, 09:33 PM
So given the various points of view regarding your concerns, who are you actually blaming?

It's not about trying to play the blame game. I'm not trying to point the finger at any person/people in particular.

What angers me is the overall mentality that it's better to shut up shop in a Scottish Cup final after 30 minutes, because we're 2 goals down and are afraid of being humiliated.

I don't think any other club in the league would have done that. It frustrates me that it just seems to be the norm for us. Yet people wonder why we never win the thing.

As the saying goes. If you do the same thing 1000 times over, you'll get the same result 1000 times.

Well we seem to do the same thing over and over again.

Jonnyboy
27-05-2013, 09:34 PM
It's not about trying to play the blame game. I'm not trying to point the finger at any person/people in particular.

What angers me is the overall mentality that it's better to shut up shop in a Scottish Cup final after 30 minutes, because we're 2 goals down and are afraid of being humiliated.

I don't think any other club in the league would have done that. It frustrates me that it just seems to be the norm for us. Yet people wonder why we never win the thing.

As the saying goes. If you do the same thing 1000 times over, you'll get the same result 1000 times.

Well we seem to do the same thing over and over again.

Essentially then you're saying the players bottled it after the second goal?

Hibercelona
27-05-2013, 09:40 PM

I'm not pointing the finger at the players, or at anyone directly.

We could have had a completely different squad of players out there, but I can't help feeling that it would have just been the same thing anyway.

It just seems to be the overall mentality at the club as a whole. No 1 person is to blame.

I'd like to make it clear that i'm not angry that we lost. I know Celtic are far superior to us in terms of on pitch ability. But as i've said many times before, it's the manner in which we lost. Just shutting up shop and accepting it.

Baldy Foghorn
27-05-2013, 09:43 PM

Naw, it was after the first goal:wink:

Jonnyboy
27-05-2013, 09:43 PM
I'm not pointing the finger at the players, or at anyone directly.

We could have had a completely different squad of players out there, but I can't help feeling that it would have just been the same thing anyway.

It just seems to be the overall mentality at the club as a whole. No 1 person is to blame.

I'd like to make it clear that i'm not angry that we lost. I know Celtic are far superior to us in terms of on pitch ability. But as i've said many times before, it's the manner in which we lost. Just shutting up shop and accepting it.

As I said in an earlier post I think Celtic shut down our shop, not us

Hibercelona
27-05-2013, 09:50 PM

Celtic certainly limited us. But we limited ourselves completely.

We gave ourselves no chance of scoring after the 2nd goal went in.

Kato
27-05-2013, 10:06 PM

Are you saying we made no chances after 0-2?

Jonnyboy
27-05-2013, 10:14 PM

|That's not my recollection but each to their own

Jones28
27-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Change it to what exactly?

Captain Trips
27-05-2013, 11:12 PM
My recollection of match was looking good for 5mins then "allowing" Celtic time to make passes and poor marking. There is talk here like Celtic were amazing and that is why we lost. I do not think Celtic needed to be that great to win as we just stood and watched.

The only thing needed to change was actually closing players down for me not that hard. I do not recall to often in first half their players having to create space it was there already, why not go to Scott Brown etc make him have to make a turn or something rather than watch and allow him to pass that is quite simple.

I do not know what more Celtic had to offer if we pressed them more, very disappointed that the players and mangers couldnt manage to make it even slightly more difficult for Celtic. Claros tackle on Brown should have been in first 10mins not after 2-0 down. I am not buying this Celtic were great, they were good we were poor making them look great.

Standing off players like we did on that sort if occasion is very poor.

Fergus52
27-05-2013, 11:17 PM
When we changed to 4-5-1 we began to control the midfield more than we previously had been. I didn't see it as avoiding humiliation.

Emerald
27-05-2013, 11:43 PM
We went for it and ended up 2 down, thats why Doyle dropped back. He should have taken Griffiths off after 20 minutes, he couldn't run and we then had 1 up front trying to shut down 4 defenders and make runs into space to receive the ball.

How did you expect that to work Pat? :rolleyes:
Came back from holiday straight to final and my tinternet was ****ek. cant be arsed goin thru all the shoit but this is the first thing Ive seen that sums it up for me Blackpool. One nil down with one up and even he was goosed after 20 mins. But Pat is happy, FFS get rid of the failure now.

hibee19
28-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Came back from holiday straight to final and my tinternet was ****ek. cant be arsed goin thru all the shoit but this is the first thing Ive seen that sums it up for me Blackpool. One nil down with one up and even he was goosed after 20 mins. But Pat is happy, FFS get rid of the failure now.

I was a bit underwhelmed by Pats reaction I have to say but hes brought us a long way and we have a decent core bunch to build around. Pat should be judged a year from now.

matty_f
28-05-2013, 12:12 AM

And you are right.

Emerald
28-05-2013, 12:15 AM
I was a bit underwhelmed by Pats reaction I have to say but hes brought us a long way and we have a decent core bunch to build around. Pat should be judged a year from now.
He should be judged by how he reacts to being 2 nil down, in only the second SCF we have been in 12 years. he got it wrong again and never reacted to the situation. He is not the answer.

LALthehibeeGAL
28-05-2013, 12:22 AM

:agree::top marks

Lal:wink:

hibee19
28-05-2013, 12:26 AM
He should be judged by how he reacts to being 2 nil down, in only the second SCF we have been in 12 years. he got it wrong again and never reacted to the situation. He is not the answer.

With Leigh Griffiths being injured he was a bit limited to be fair. Next season its top 6 or bust and cups are a bonus, but lets not pretend we're too big for the league cup again and put out a team that'll get pumped out in the first round.

Emerald
28-05-2013, 12:36 AM
With Leigh Griffiths being injured he was a bit limited to be fair. Next season its top 6 or bust and cups are a bonus, but lets not pretend we're too big for the league cup again and put out a team that'll get pumped out in the first round.
If LG was injured he should have gave him support up front, as at was obvious for all to see. We should have gone 2 up and Fenlon should go no idea about tactics.

Heisenberg
28-05-2013, 12:39 AM
If LG was injured he should have gave him support up front, as at was obvious for all to see. We should have gone 2 up and Fenlon should go no idea about tactics.

We went 2 up. We went 2 goals behind.

hibee_nation
28-05-2013, 12:41 AM

He did start 2 up FFS mayby you were just too jet lagged to notice, and no he shouldn't go.

Emerald
28-05-2013, 12:44 AM
He did start 2 up FFS mayby you were just too jet lagged to notice, and no he shouldn't go.
We did start great but after 2 nil we went one up. And yes jet lagged and groggy.

hibee_nation
28-05-2013, 12:49 AM
We did start great but after 2 nil we went one up. And yes jet lagged and groggy.

Aye that's a different arguement though. :greengrin
Hibarcelona and Jonnyboy got that one covered already. :aok:

Emerald
28-05-2013, 12:58 AM
Aye that's a different arguement though. :greengrin
Hibarcelona and Jonnyboy got that one covered already. :aok:

Not had the time to review that. My feelings about Fenlon can be tracked but at the end of the day all I or you want is a good Hibs team. Best wishes to you my friend. :aok:

hibee19
28-05-2013, 01:03 AM
Not had the time to review that. My feelings about Fenlon can be tracked but at the end of the day all I or you want is a good Hibs team. Best wishes to you my friend. :aok:

No-one can be faulted for that. A number of weeks ago I was on here suggesting that if we didn't beat Falkirk Fenlon should go. I was beyond angry at half time but what he did between half time in the semi until the final impressed me. We were actually beating the teams we are meant to beat for once but we need more consistency next season. I said top 6 but honestly we should be in the top 3 or 4

Emerald
28-05-2013, 01:08 AM
No-one can be faulted for that. A number of weeks ago I was on here suggesting that if we didn't beat Falkirk Fenlon should go. I was beyond angry at half time but what he did between half time in the semi until the final impressed me. We were actually beating the teams we are meant to beat for once but we need more consistency next season. I said top 6 but honestly we should be in the top 3 or 4
Agree but 2 cup finals in 12 years you have to give it a go. 2 nil down PF changed nothing. He is not the answer here, with all due respects.

hibee_nation
28-05-2013, 01:13 AM

No worries, we may differ on our views of Pat but at least the holiday in Orlando wouldn't let you down. :greengrin

JohnStephens91
28-05-2013, 01:14 AM
A few of the usual suspects are back I see. Get knotted is all I can say. We went 4-5-1 to try and control the midfield and the players gave their all despite falling well short of the multi-million pound Celtic squad. Yes the first goal could have been defended better and I am disappointed at the result, but compared to last year it was night and day and I am proud to see the players fighting hard when they knew they wouldn't win at 3-0 down, it shows the development in the past year in the squad.

Emerald
28-05-2013, 01:23 AM
[QUOTE=Salt & Sauzee;3624642]A few of the usual suspects are back I see. Get knotted is all I can say. We went 4-5-1 to try and control the midfield and the players gave their all despite falling well short of the multi-million pound Celtic squad. Yes the first goal could have been defended better and I am disappointed at the result, but compared to last year it was night and day and I am proud to see the players fighting hard when they knew they wouldn't win at 3-0 down, it shows the development in the past year in the squad.[/QUOTEL Hope so :flag:

gegs70
28-05-2013, 01:24 AM
I was a little frustrated that no one wanted to take a shot, it went side to side a lot. Claros especially....felt perhaps roberston may have been an obvious choice.

JohnStephens91
28-05-2013, 01:32 AM
Sorry for the wee moan, just felt I needed to get it off my chest. I understand different people have different feelings towards the club and how the players feel. I just thought that it was night and day in the difference of performance between the last two Scottish Cup finals. If the 2012 final was against this Celtic we'd be looking at a much bigger scoreline than 3-0 IMO. We are all Hibs fans and we all want the club to achieve to it's maximum. The players looked genuinely downbeat during the lap of honour/appreciation at the end and that speaks volumes of how much they care about the club and the fans and the team has improved on last season by a good margin.

Let's just all come back next season at Easter Road and spur the team on and encourage them and Pat to rebuild the side after the wrecking ball job Calderwood managed to perform.

mmmmhibby
28-05-2013, 08:01 AM
I think celtic would've beat any spl team at hampden on sunday as for me, their quality shone from the off. They looked more physical than us from the start.

SlickShoes
28-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Spot on m8, Fenlon was Paranoid about losing heavily again in a SCF. What I can't get my head around, is what did Fenlon do to the team after we beat Celtic at the tail end of last year?
From then till the seasons end, it was the same old chit as the previous season

We were rancid before that Celtc game in December though, the previous game against Ross County we were horrible, pretty much since the Hearts game at the start of December we played awful right the way through until April. The only exceptions were beating Celtc 1-0 and the cup games.

Hibercelona
28-05-2013, 08:43 AM
I think celtic would've beat any spl team at hampden on sunday as for me, their quality shone from the off. They looked more physical than us from the start.

That's what gets me though.

You don't have to be as good at football as somebody else when it comes to physical battles. You just need to show more strength than your opponent or at least match them in that department.

How often do we say "the opposition were simply too strong for us"?

I don't know if we could have done anything to change the game around on Sunday, all I know is that doing something would have been better than doing nothing at all. That's what frustrates me to no end.

It's an all or nothing game, but we settled for not being humiliated instead.

It just doesn't make sense to me.