PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Cup

SuperTortolano
27-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Why can't we win the bloody thing?

I know we were playing the SPL champions etc but 112 years is a long time, especially when we had the famous five.

Is it too late on in the season and our team is finished through injury, tiredness or suspension. Or we have too big a monkey on our back?

When you hear stories from our previous League cup successes there's usually something special like Budgie threatening the huns prior to beating them in the semi or John Collins making dvd of the players highlights to give them inspiration. However when it gets to the Scottish cup then things go wrong like Latapy getting in to bother with drink or O'Connor going to Russia. Are we just jinxed?

I'm 46 and starting to think I'll never see the cup at Easter Road!

BoltonHibee
27-05-2013, 06:28 PM
We are not good enough, in each of the finals we have played in, since the early 70's

pontius pilate
27-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Mentality probably they do the hard work and get there then cross the line and freeze. Being caught in two minds thinking we haven't win this in a long long time and we could be legends instead of just concentrating playing their game and enjoying the game.
Bloody Scottish cup it's so overrated
GGTTH

eastterrace
27-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Why can't we win the bloody thing?

I know we were playing the SPL champions etc but 112 years is a long time, especially when we had the famous five.

Is it too late on in the season and our team is finished through injury, tiredness or suspension. Or we have too big a monkey on our back?

When you hear stories from our previous League cup successes there's usually something special like Budgie threatening the huns prior to beating them in the semi or John Collins making dvd of the players highlights to give them inspiration. However when it gets to the Scottish cup then things go wrong like Latapy getting in to bother with drink or O'Connor going to Russia. Are we just jinxed?

I'm 46 and starting to think I'll never see the cup at Easter Road!

we usually have a slump about end of november and it last usually till march so we are normally knocked out the cup by then, but if we do reach a final the pressure is to much for the players to handle, and other things like no luck with injuries and decisions going against us. thats my take on it. the league cups a different thing as its earlier in the season when we are playing a bit better.

Waxy
27-05-2013, 06:38 PM
138 years of football.
13 Scottish cup finals.
Means on average we get to a final every 10 years.
So.
We WILL win it.
Unless the sun blows up.
Don't worry about it.

Barman Stanton
27-05-2013, 06:41 PM
We always seem to play top teams in the final (last year Hearts had a far stronger squad). I'm sure if we get to play a weaker team like Hearts and Dun Utd have had in recent years then we will win it.

SuperTortolano
27-05-2013, 06:57 PM
You'd have though that a club like Hibs could win five games. It seems that the fifth game is one too many.

Phil D. Rolls
27-05-2013, 07:04 PM
You'd have though that a club like Hibs could win five games. It seems that the fifth game is one too many.

:hmmm:

I think the damage was done in the 50s, particularly the defeat to Clyde.

What's your thoughts - will we be forever in Hearts' shadow. I hope not.

Baldy Foghorn
27-05-2013, 07:06 PM
We don't have the winning mentality. Plenty of soundbytes pre match, about wanting to win the cup for the fans, break the hoodoo etc, but when it comes to the crunch we just don't want it badly enough IMO

Golden Bear
27-05-2013, 07:14 PM
I'm actually starting to believe that the infamous gypsy curse on the Club is for real!

bingo70
27-05-2013, 07:16 PM
We'll win it soon imo. The problem we've had is that we've not qualified for the final enough (like we've not got into Europe enough but that's a different discussion), under pat though I'm confident he'll have us in the latter stages of the cups more often and eventually we'll play a team on our level rather than a team paying fortunes more than us.

Phil D. Rolls
27-05-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm actually starting to believe that the infamous gypsy curse on the Club is for real!

I thought it was something to do with someone acting the goat?

hibsbollah
27-05-2013, 07:21 PM

Cheer up, it could be worse. We could have lost a final to a team like St Mirren and be in the middle of a five match winless run against your local rivals.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Our time will come eventually. I'm a young lad and hope to see it happen in my lifetime.

GGTTH

Pretty Boy
27-05-2013, 07:23 PM
In the last 12 years we have been to 3 Scottish Cup finals and 2 League Cup finals. There can't be many teams can better that.

The problem seems to be winning the things. One days soon hopefully.

hibsbollah
27-05-2013, 07:26 PM
I thought it was something to do with someone acting the goat?

Thats the Chicago Cubs you're thinking of. It's a moot point, which is the most likely to happen first; The Cubs to win the World Series, the Hibs to win the Scottish Cup, or Biscuits Preston to say a single sentence without me wanting to jump out of the nearest window.

GREEN WARLORD
27-05-2013, 07:30 PM
We havn't had the luck of playing someone like Gretna, in the final. Last year we punched well above our weight and if i'm honest, we shouldn't have been there. This year, just as we were beginning to put some decent results together, the team was starting to gel but the final was upon us and we came up against a Celtic side, who probably have 1 player that is worth more than our squad put together.

Has any Edinburgh side reached 3 Scottish Cup finals in a row? I fancy our chances of making it another one next year.

Northernhibee
27-05-2013, 07:41 PM
You do wonder when your captain and then your leading goalscorer pick up injuries before the big game.

SuperTortolano
27-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Apart from encouraging people to go to Easter Road, are there any other ways we (as ordinary supporters) can help bring home the cup?

Baldy Foghorn
27-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Apart from encouraging people to go to Easter Road, are there any other ways we (as ordinary supporters) can help bring home the cup?

Let's break into Darkheid and bring it to Leith:greengrin

SuperTortolano
27-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Fair enough, this stupid cup is starting to get to me. Next time let's get the ball blest!

One Day Soon
27-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Cheer up, it could be worse. We could have lost a final to a team like St Mirren and be in the middle of a five match winless run against your local rivals.

Yep and the Yams fairly sped out the building when they were struggling in that game. Fans dressed as seats as they like to say.

s.a.m
27-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Fair enough, this stupid cup is starting to get to me. Next time let's get the ball blest!

Acht, I'm past all that. I don't want the Scottish Cup any more. It's rubbish. And if we were actually to win it, a chasm would undoubtedly open up in the universe and we would all fall through it and die. Don't say you haven't been warned....:coffee: