PDA

View Full Version : Cathkin Park - What can happen to your football club

itslegaltender
27-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Took time yesterday to visit Cathkin Park, bumped into a few other Hibees there. If you havent been there, you should take time to visit this the next time you are in the Weej. A poignant example of what can happen when you let shysters takeover your club and run it into the ground.

The terracing on three sides of the pitch is still there albeit now overgrown in places with huge trees. The old style crash barriers are still there in places to.

LancashireHibby
27-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Funnily enough this was just raised on another (non Hibs) forum. Keep meaning to visit and also get a proper look at Lesser Hampden.

Waxy
27-05-2013, 02:24 PM
We have our own story in Edinburgh. Take a visit to George the forth park near cannonmills. The home of St Bernards fc. The third Edinburgh team to win the Scottish cup.

greenlex
27-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Had a wee look yesterday funnily enough. Terracing with overgrown bushes and trees not firmly in place just a drive and a Wedge from Hampdens centre spot.

...WentToMowAnSPL
27-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Went there with my son.... Said to taxi driver I wanted to see what tynecastle would look like in 5 years :-)

HH81
27-05-2013, 02:48 PM
How far from Hampden is it?

Hibs Class
27-05-2013, 02:50 PM
How far from Hampden is it?

10 minute walk.

Jones28
27-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Me and my dad went along with a few pals, it was bizarre

Drem
27-05-2013, 03:51 PM
The gates to where the main stand sttod at St Bernards are still there and though nothing remains, the actual pitch was in the area of the car park.
Two others in Edinburgh to watch out for............Bank Park, just a minutes walk away from Easter Road and where The LRT garage is at Seafield, was the site of Marine Gardens Stadium.

anon1875
27-05-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm too young to remember

Phil D. Rolls
27-05-2013, 05:05 PM
We have our own story in Edinburgh. Take a visit to George the forth park near cannonmills. The home of St Bernards fc. The third Edinburgh team to win the Scottish cup.

For accuracy, the ground was actually where the RbS building is now. There are still steps down from Fettes Row, that used to lead into the stand.

I have also been in search of the fabled Logie Green ground. From what I can make out from maps, it was roughly where the garden centre for B&Q (formerly Dodge City) is at Canonmills.

Waxy
27-05-2013, 05:24 PM
For accuracy, the ground was actually where the RbS building is now. There are still steps down from Fettes Row, that used to lead into the stand.

I have also been in search of the fabled Logie Green ground. From what I can make out from maps, it was roughly where the garden centre for B&Q (formerly Dodge City) is at Canonmills.The Logie green ground ran right down the the middle of what is now Logie green road.It was built for St Bernards inbetween stays at the Gymnasium (the name of St Bernards ground at Eyre place).For even more accuracy the gymnasium ground covered the area of the car park and park itself.Dont think there's a RBS building in the park,unless they have built one in it recently that i don't know of?

Phil D. Rolls
27-05-2013, 05:30 PM
The Logie green ground ran right down the the middle of what is now Logie green road.It was built for St Bernards inbetween stays at the Gymnasium (the name of St Bernards ground at Eyre place).For even more accuracy the gymnasium ground covered the area of the car park and park itself.Dont think there's a RBS building in the park,unless they have built one in it recently that i don't know of?

Always wondered where the gymnasium was.

The building that is entered from Fettes Row, was the RBS computer centre at one time. It is not in the park, but between the park and Dundas Street on the South Side.

Paisley Hibby
27-05-2013, 05:32 PM
And for those who don't know, Cathkin Park was the stadium where Hibs won the Scottish Cup for the first tiime (in 1887).

Waxy
27-05-2013, 05:35 PM
And for those who don't know, Cathkin Park was the stadium where Hibs won the Scottish Cup for the first tiime (in 1887).But it was called Hampden park at the time.

Paisley Hibby
27-05-2013, 05:43 PM
But it was called Hampden park at the time.

That's right. It was later taken over by Third Lanark and renamed Cathkin Park when the current Hampden Park was built.

Drem
27-05-2013, 07:23 PM
AND........................if you took time to walk around whats left of the walls surrounding Cathkin, you would have noticed that the adverts that can still roughly be made out, were actually painted on to the walls.
And who scored Thirds last league goal.............................none other than later H*%"*s player, Drew Busby.

Hibby Bairn
27-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Anyone know if anyone still plays at Letham Park off Ferry Road?

Onceinawhile
27-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Given that rangers were able to transfer their history over to a different company, could we maybe find 3rd lanarks historical liquidators and put a bid in for their Scottish cups? Would reset the 100 year clock for a while!

therealgavmac
27-05-2013, 08:47 PM

Used to play there for the Boys Brigade on a Saturday morning (8th Leith out of Pilrig Church)........ oh the memories of playing in games with 20 goals :agree:

jdships
27-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Took time yesterday to visit Cathkin Park, bumped into a few other Hibees there. If you havent been there, you should take time to visit this the next time you are in the Weej. A poignant example of what can happen when you let shysters takeover your club and run it into the ground.

The terracing on three sides of the pitch is still there albeit now overgrown in places with huge trees. The old style crash barriers are still there in places to.

Thanks for that
Brings back the memories of playing there a couple of times in the late 40's early 50's
Tidy ground with , from memory , two stands and a separate pavillion

Biggest Attendance

February 1954 v Rangers 45,455 Scottish Cup 3rd Round

Lowest Attendance

April 1967 v Clydebank 297

:aok:

lyonhibs
27-05-2013, 10:17 PM

41st Edinburgh BB superstars, if that's what you are getting at?

hibby rae
28-05-2013, 07:32 AM
I love history threads! Anyway, there's a photo of the Gymnasium stadium and another of the park before the stadium was built on this site.

http://bigrab.wordpress.com/2012/03/12/more-st-bernards/

Peevemor
28-05-2013, 07:42 AM
There was also Stenhouse Stadium, which I think was used by the Civil Service Strollers and Edinburgh City (as well as being a dog track).

SurferRosa
28-05-2013, 07:49 AM
I took a wee visit to cathkin while at the semi-final against Aberdeen last year. It`s really quite an eerie feeling standing on the decaying terracing looking at the pitch. You seem to hear crowd noise in your head...:crazy:

It is well worth a visit for any football fan.

greenginger
28-05-2013, 07:49 AM

Hibs rented Letham Park from the B B's as a training ground in the early 80's but the arrangement got cancelled because of complaints from the neighbours about the foul language from players and coaches.

Step forward Bertie Auld, John Lambie, etc.

True story ! :agree:

H18sry
28-05-2013, 07:56 AM
There was also Stenhouse Stadium, which I think was used by the Civil Service Strollers and Edinburgh City (as well as being a dog track).

Where was Stenhouse stadium?

Green Man
28-05-2013, 08:02 AM

I have also been in search of the fabled Logie Green ground. From what I can make out from maps, it was roughly where the garden centre for B&Q (formerly Dodge City) is at Canonmills.

I used to work in the RBS building round the corner on Dundas St. I never knew there used to be a football ground there - I'm sure someone told me it used to be an outdoor pool or something like that?

Peevemor
28-05-2013, 08:02 AM
Where was Stenhouse stadium?

Beside Stenhouse Mill (there used to be a carpet place there) - just beside the big Shell garage on Gorgie Road, as you take the path (the Burnside) that takes you past the prison and toward Longstone.

Waxy
28-05-2013, 10:19 AM
I used to work in the RBS building round the corner on Dundas St. I never knew there used to be a football ground there - I'm sure someone told me it used to be an outdoor pool or something like that?Yes. An outdoor pool for rowing. It was called the Royal gymnasium. St Bernards took over this area and built the football ground on it. Hence the name of the ground.

Peevemor
28-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Yes. An outdoor pool for rowing. It was called the Royal gymnasium. St Bernards took over this area and built the football ground on it. Hence the name of the ground.

It wasn't just a pool, but a giant rowing carousel - "the Royal Patent Gymnasium"

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A-aZKA5CMAEC1Hg.png

You can read about it (and the history of St Bernards) here

http://kgvsy.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/once-upon-a-haugh-web.pdf

bronca
28-05-2013, 11:35 AM
I live at Mount Florida and often take the wee man down to Cathkin for a kick about. If it hasn't been raining, the pitch is usually in decent nick and gets painted fairly regularly as there are a few teams that still play there, including some immigrant/refugee teams that always play each other on a Sunday. The unusual thing about it is that the council left it as a park in a built up area that could have made them a few bob if they had sold it for housing. I asked an older local guy about this and he said it was because there is too much of a water table underneath that area so was unfit for purpose. Certainly, when it rains it does not drain off the park very quickly, much to the delight of my puddle obsessed three year old!

Mac
28-05-2013, 11:51 AM

Used to play there with Bank Villa, decent amateur team but closed down a fair few years ago.

HIBERNIAN-0762
28-05-2013, 12:08 PM
http://www.thirdlanarkac.co.uk/

jdships
28-05-2013, 12:14 PM

How's your memory !!
Old man used to take us to the DUG'S at Stenhouse - is that correct ?
Cracking wee stadium

Peevemor
28-05-2013, 12:22 PM
How's your memory !!
Old man used to take us to the DUG'S at Stenhouse - is that correct ?
Cracking wee stadium

I think it was definitely best known as a dog track. I don't know when it closed (before my time) but it was still in fairly good nick and recognisable as a stadium into the 1980s (with the odd industrial building having spung up here and there). I used to walk past it fairly regularly when going to visit my grandparents who lived at Stenhouse Cross.

jdships
28-05-2013, 12:39 PM
I think it was definitely best known as a dog track. I don't know when it closed (before my time) but it was still in fairly good nick and recognisable as a stadium into the 1980s (with the odd industrial building having spung up here and there). I used to walk past it fairly regularly when going to visit my grandparents who lived at Stenhouse Cross.

Thank you very much
It was a long time ago - just after WW2 finished !!
Sure I played in an Under 17 Juvenile cup semi final there as well around 1948/9 !!
Glad my memory is still not too bad :greengrin

.Sean.
28-05-2013, 12:42 PM
I thought Third Lanark were reforming and they were tidying up Cathkin Park?

Drem
28-05-2013, 03:05 PM
The results board for the dog track at Stenny was there till a couple of years ago.
Sorry but in an earlier thread leading you to a picture of St Bernards ground, its actually Powderhall being shown.
Dont forget City Park, one of the oldest stadiums certainly in Edinburgh and the site of the velodrome at Meadowbank was also home to Speedway and Football.
The main stand from the gymnasium ground , being transported there when St Bernards went bust.

beastie
28-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Thank you very much
It was a long time ago - just after WW2 finished !!
Sure I played in an Under 17 Juvenile cup semi final there as well around 1948/9 !!
Glad my memory is still not too bad :greengrin

I don't remember the track but do vaguely remember the results board for the dugs that still stood when the light industrial buildings went up. Remember asking the step-father what the board was as a young lad in the mid 80's as I lived on Calder rd when he was a prison warden.

Love these trips down memory lane :)

beastie
28-05-2013, 03:31 PM
The results board for the dog track at Stenny was there till a couple of years ago.
Sorry but in an earlier thread leading you to a picture of St Bernards ground, its actually Powderhall being shown.
Dont forget City Park, one of the oldest stadiums certainly in Edinburgh and the site of the velodrome at Meadowbank was also home to Speedway and Football.
The main stand from the gymnasium ground , being transported there when St Bernards went bust.

Beat me to it ;)

AndyM_1875
28-05-2013, 03:36 PM
I thought Third Lanark were reforming and they were tidying up Cathkin Park?

That is the intention.

http://www.third-lanark.co.uk/third-lanark-fc-latest-news.html

Waxy
28-05-2013, 03:55 PM
There's photos of the Gymnasium ground on the St Bernardsfc website.

Drem
28-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Please sir, please sir, dont forget The Meadows.
Theres an info board there that mentions the first Us, them games being played there.
Am sure there are pictures of the St Bs stand being demolished on a couple of speedway sights.
Have pics of Old Meadowbank but being old, I dont know how to paste them on to yhe site.
Hey Ho.

Miguel
28-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Old Meadowbank used to have the speedway, Edinburgh Monarchs, on a Saturday night, and you could buy paper bags outside to cover you from the grit that went up when the bikes went past.

Drem
29-05-2013, 05:01 AM
As did Powderhall but without the bags.

green glory
29-05-2013, 05:47 AM
It wasn't just a pool, but a giant rowing carousel - "the Royal Patent Gymnasium"

You can read about it (and the history of St Bernards) here

http://kgvsy.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/once-upon-a-haugh-web.pdf

Before the gymnasium was there it was the location of Canonmills Loch.

hibby rae
29-05-2013, 08:28 AM
Lost Edinburgh on facebook might be a good resource as well for this thread.

Drem
31-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Taking then subject further and with a Hibs connection, have been to Peel Park, old home of Accrington Stanley.
Pitch is still there along with the players changing rooms built in the 20s with money raised by the supporters.
Hibs connection......................Goalkeeper Tommy McQueen who I think played one game with The Famous Five and Manager Walter Galbraith.
If you ever get the chance, go to The Peel Park Hotel right beside the old ground.
A good meal and very,very friendly people.

MSK
31-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Taking then subject further and with a Hibs connection, have been to Peel Park, old home of Accrington Stanley.
Pitch is still there along with the players changing rooms built in the 20s with money raised by the supporters.
Hibs connection......................Goalkeeper Tommy McQueen who I think played one game with The Famous Five and Manager Walter Galbraith.
If you ever get the chance, go to The Peel Park Hotel right beside the old ground.
A good meal and very,very friendly people.10056 ..:aok:

Drem
31-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Nice pic.
Sure there are loads elsewhere.
last time we were down there, got talking to locals in the hotel who on finding out we were Hibees, went out of there way to treat us really well.
One bloke even sent his son home to get us a copy of a CD made from a TV programme about the club.
Apart from the changing rooms mentioned the only other part of the ground remaining is a high area of scrub behind one of the goals.

Phil D. Rolls
31-05-2013, 06:35 PM
Anyone got information about the ground at Powburn? The one that the Yam captain had to make a quick getaway from after bottling out of a beating by Hibs.

Waxy
31-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Also does anyone have info on Leith athletic? Think they had a ground near ER 1880s

Drem
31-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Re Leith Athletic.
Bank Park, couple of hundred yards to the west of The North Stand.
Played there around 1887.
Also just across the road at Hawkhill and I think Beechwood Park around the sametime uo to perhaps 1901.

Paisley Hibby
31-05-2013, 10:47 PM
And another unlikely Hibs connection. Volunteer Park in Armadale, West Lothian. This is where Armadale knocked Hibs out of the Scottish Cup in 1920. Here's a link to some pictures of the ground. Also, click on the link that says Armadale's Scottish Cup Run 1920 if you want to find out more!

http://armadalethistle.wordpress.com/volunteer-park/