PDA

View Full Version : For Fans Complaining About Our Cup Final Performance

One Day Soon
27-05-2013, 07:31 AM
1. We are a club and team in the process of rebuilding. getting to the final last year was near miraculous and pretty unfortunate at the same time. We were nowhere near ready for a game of that magnitude. Getting to this year's final was unexpected too given the partially reworked nature of our squad and the first team.

2. Every time we play the Ugly Sisters in ANY game - and particularly in a cup final, we are playing 12 men and we are also playing against 100 years of sectarian fuelled financial mismatch.

3. Griffiths was patently carrying some kind of injury and in case you haven't noticed we have a thin squad with little quality cover in almost all parts of the pitch.

4. Last year was a complete capitulation. This year we were simply outplayed and outmuscled by a team that is bigger, faster and more skilled. They are all those things because they have vastly more money to spend than us and can afford to buy better players. That is what the bigotry dividend brings them. 'Fans' and their associated revenue from a catchment area which is all of Scotland and beyond, compared to any other club in Scotland all of which have geographical catchment areas which are very localised.

5. I'm pig sick of the short term mentality that expects a football club to be transformed overnight. We are on a journey that takes a long time. Three years to start to see serious results. If you want and expect instant gratification then you are following the wrong sport - watch Formula 1 instead.

6. The Hibernian support yesterday was magnificent and we are right to celebrate that. If Richard Gordon thinks Hibs fans come to the Cup Final for a party then he is a village idiot. The last 20 minutes or so of that game and after the final whistle yesterday clearly wasn't about having a party or celebrating a defeat. It was a spontaneous statement of our togetherness, our spirit and our determination to stand together. It wasn't organised, no one proposed or planned it in advance and you couldn't have choreographed it if you had tried. It came from the heart. It lasted noisily throughout most of Scott Brown's post-match interview with the BBC and I thought it was a telling point that the Celtic captain felt moved to acknowledge it.

7. That Hibs team walking around the perimeter of the pitch after the end of the game was unrecognisable from the one defeated last year. They were absolutely gutted. You could see they felt the pain. The jerseys mean something to that side.

8. Yesterday wasn't the end of the journey. This year we are undefeated against Hearts, topped the bottom six (but for one or two woeful refereeing decisions we would have been in the top six) and next year we have Europe to look forward to. In the process we have unearthed some real treasure in Harris and Forster and Caldwell isn't far behind. We also now have a goalkeeper worthy of the title.

9. Unlike our neighbours we are not in the business of asset stripping our squad

10. Ask yourself why our seats barely thinned at all after the third goal. The vast majority of the support can see that we are making progress, know that the future and vitality of our club is as much about the support as it is the team and understands that Pat and the squad faced a Herculean task yesterday. Just as the team needed to improve and needs to keep improving we too as a support have the same task. It is what lifts the players and it is what binds us one to another. Yesterday showed that we have taken massive strides forward as a support. Compare and contrast: A) the emotional attachment of the fans to one another and the players at the end yesterday after a three nil defeat B) the Hearts players being sent back out after the last derby to do an end of season lap of honour to an empty stadium and the few remaining stewards at Tynecastle.

11. Finally, it was a privilege to be a part of the support yesterday. There will certainly be better games but I suspect there will be few better emotional moments. In adversity is when you discover how strong you are. We were 20,000 strong and loud and proud. We really were Hibs Class.

Being Hibernian is about a lot more than just what happens on the park. It’s dignity, perseverance and the Hibs family regardless of the ups and downs of the team.

We are the club that wouldn't die - never let them forget.

Just_Jimmy
27-05-2013, 07:37 AM
Epic post.

Hibs class.

gackohibs
27-05-2013, 07:42 AM
Superb post mate. The perfect summary. I was really gutted we didnt win, but cant really expect much more than the lads giving it a real go.

Onwards and upwards!

You got to keep the faith! :flag:

neil7908
27-05-2013, 07:47 AM
I agree with basically everything. The idea that the support came for a party is not just wrong, its a wee bit insulting. Ok we were underdogs but I went into the game thinking we had a chance. Not a great one but a chance of doing something special. There seems to be some collective amnesia in the media that we have already beaten and drawn with Celtic this season.

I've never quite seen anything like the fans reaction for the final 10 mins of normal time and after the final whistle. I'm still not entirely sure what happened there as frankly, I wasn't personally desperate to start singing myself.

But as soon as the other fans started up I just couldn't stop myself, even though I was still gutted. As it kept going I really got into it and by full time although I was still really disappointed, it didnt feel as bad. I found myself with a wee lump in my throat at times when I looked at the score board and compared our reaction to the Celtic fans.

Massive credit to every Hibs fan that kept backing the team and singing to the end. If we could have even half that atmosphere at ER every game we'd be giving the players a massive boost.

Next season is a really big big year for us and for Fenlon in particular. We do really need to kick on next year and look to be taking advantage of Hearts and Rangers demise. Equally, it looks like clubs such as Motherwell, Dundee Utd, St Johnstone, Inverness etc will all be losing key players. That may also be the case with us if Griffiths and Claros go but we should be better placed to improve the team considering our superior budget and funds from the cup run.

We really need to hit the ground running next year and hopefully have players in place for the start of the campaign, with more actual signings than loans please.

I hope this atmosphere can continue into next season but the players and staff at the club do need to keep showing that the team are going in the right direction, and keep trying to play decent football.

TrinityHibs
27-05-2013, 07:49 AM
That summed up everything about yesterday for me. From Celtc scoring their third to us picking up the runners up medals was very, very special. outstanding post.

kenny-55
27-05-2013, 07:49 AM
well said that man sums up what being a hibby really means roll on next season
had a lump in my throat at the end fantastic response fron the hibs fans
:hibees:hibees:hibees

hibsbollah
27-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Outstanding post :agree:

s.a.m
Excellent post, ODS.

Borderhibbie76
Best post ive read on here for ages and sums yesterday and the season up perfectly!! Well done mate and ggtth!!

Heisenberg
27-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Fantastic summary of everything.

Gerard
27-05-2013, 08:01 AM
The journey continues for our club in its football development. Celtic were expected to win the SC and they did. They have a massive financial budget compared to our club and can afford to buy much better players.
Our club has to develop players and that takes time.
By getting to another final it gives our club money that we need to speed up our journey and a taste of European football.
Whilst walking back to my car yesterday I said to a few Celtic fans we will be back to HP as we have unfinished business.
They could see that winning the Scottish Cup for us is massive. For them it is another cup.
As a club we must live within our means and by doing so will have a very good chance of being around for a very long time.
I hope that we can return next year to HP and won the Scottish Cup. As a club we have paid our 'dues'.We will have gone through the long road of bitter disappointment and will have won the cup again.
Our journey continues and we will get to our destination on and in style.On this road there will be good and bad times.
When we won the cup again I hope that it will be part if that journey in which we close the gap that exists between us and the 'old firm'.
The Scottish Cup is a fine old cup to win and many clubs have won it outside the OF.
Our journey has been a long one of many false dawns and bitter failures.When we are fortunate to win the cup again we will enjoy the moment longer than most other teams.
...... And now we have a younger team I do not want to brag ..... The Hibs go marching on.
GGTTH

Golden Bear
27-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Quite honestly I'm finding all this self congratulatory back slapping a wee bit over the top this morning.

Yesterday's defeat didn't seem so devastating as last year but the fact that THE TEAM barely created a single goalscoring opportunity in 90 minutes of football is very disappointing to say the least.

Kato
27-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Richard Gordon is a dick.

If we had all left they would have had a field day so we stay and show the love we have for our club and we get criticised for that too.

It didn't feel like a party in the ground, it was supporting Hibs which I enjoy doing but is something of a task at times, not yesterday.

I admit to partying very hard afterwards and probably had a better time with my pals than Richard Gordon has ever had in his whole sorry dour little existence.

DaveF
27-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Quite honestly I'm finding all this self congratulatory back slapping a wee bit over the top this morning.

Yesterday's defeat didn't seem so devastating as last year but the fact that THE TEAM barely created a single goalscoring opportunity in 90 minutes of football is very disappointing to say the least.

Not so sure people are ignoring the fact we were poor. We were and that was disappointing but we were 2nd favourites for a reason and that was sadly shown up during the game. Don't really see the problem with threads on the support. It was great at the end, but for me it'll mean more if it can be replicated at ER during the next season and beyond.......

SlickShoes
27-05-2013, 08:17 AM

I felt worse this year than I did last year, if that makes you feel any better.

There was no walking out, there was no scarf chucking, the same guys next to me when we went 2-0 down that were almost in tears were the same guys still there at the end of the game clapping the team, singing hibs songs and SUPPORTING the club.

Hearts thought they "ended" us last season, but the club as a whole feels more together now than it has in years. The football isn't great yet, but it's another day now and I am glad I am still a Hibby.

Hiber-nation
27-05-2013, 08:17 AM
Not so sure people are ignoring the fact we were poor. We were and that was disappointing but we were 2nd favourites for a reason and that was sadly shown up during the game. Don't really see the problem with threads on the support. It was great at the end, but for me it'll mean more if it can be replicated at ER during the next season and beyond.......

Yep, staying to the end doesn't mean we're accepting that standard. It means we're right behind the club and sticking together and we know that progress is being made.

Golden Bear
27-05-2013, 08:18 AM

It's not a problem - in a masochistic way I enjoyed the occasion but in the cold light of the following day it doesn't mask the disappointment of another mediocre performance in a cup final.

I'm_cabbaged
27-05-2013, 08:19 AM

I feel absolutely gutted this morning, to beat celtc we needed every player to turn up with their "A" game, they never.

And you can't call me an uber fan, I ****ed off as soon as the third went in, my choice, beat the crowds to train home or watch they tramps gloat.....

Spike Mandela
27-05-2013, 08:23 AM
Many fine and inspirational words on this thread especially from the OP. It was special to stand there and cheer the team long after the final whistle yesterday and I too am looking forward to see how our team develops over the coming years especially the likes of Harris.

As fans we were amazing and responded superbly even in defeat. As usual it was a great day out and as a support there is certainly none more deserving of a cup victory.

The stark reality though is we lost the game. In 1979 I had similar hopes of returning to Hampden and winning the cup soon but it was 22 years before we got there again. If that happens again myself and ODS who are of similar age might not be around to see it( sorry ODS I see we are of similar vintage and you are probably fit as a fiddle:wink:)

We need someone or something, a manager, a player, a super sub, a one game wonder, a fluke, a dodgy penalty, an offside goal, anything just someone who can rise to the occassion and get the job done. No more excuses, it's getting ridiculous we need to just win the bloody thing.:cb

DaveF
27-05-2013, 08:26 AM
It's not a problem - in a masochistic way I enjoyed the occasion but in the cold light of the following day it doesn't mask the disappointment of another mediocre performance in a cup final.

Totally agree. Performance was poor but I'm not sure we would have won even with our A game. Celtc were just too strong all round for us.

hibbysam
27-05-2013, 08:31 AM
For those slating the performance.. For hibs to win the cup Celtic had to not show up! They did and were always going to win then!! Hibs had just as much of the ball and no clear cut chances? Doyles header, sparky round the keeper, Harris cut back to griffiths that just got stuck between wilsons legs.. Even taiwo nearly had a great chance at the death! I thought hibs were a half yard slower than Celtic and less clinical and that's what there money gets you!

hibsbollah
27-05-2013, 08:33 AM

Leaving aside the 'are we back slapping after a defeat' debate, i think youre being a bit hard on the performance. We were the best team for the first ten minutes, but Celtcs first goal killed us. That allowed them to slow it down and catch us on the counterattack. We had Doyles header and Sparkys through on goal when he overran it slightly, both of those could have changed the game. Coulda Woulda Shoulda perhaps but a few small things counted against us; coming iinto the game I thought we could dominate central midfield, Taiwo and Claros were on a run of good form and they were missing Kayal and Wanyama. As it turned out they dominated in that area, Brown was faultless, Claros was maybe a bit down from his recent high standards, and thats where they won the game. We had a decent amount of possession but they were fast, clinical and looked like a quality side.

Saying we were 'mediocre' is unfair IMO.

Robinho08
27-05-2013, 08:42 AM
Agree 100% with the OP and most other comments.

HFC 0-7
27-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Dont really agree with the post mate. In a final, in particular the Scottish cup final you need to play at your best, no silly mistakes etc. Apart from the first 10 minutes we were far from our best and again we gifted goals through mistakes. I am hearing people saying that we cant fault the players, I disagree. I can take getting beat when we play to the best of our abilities and still get beat, for the players to be able to honestly say, we did our best but we just werent good enough.

My biggest concern was with Fenlon and him taking so long to change things, you shouldnt go into a final with one game plan and no plans to change things if its not working.

It was far better than last year but I think we didnt do ourselves justice and we shouldnt accept it just because it was better than the previous year if it was still worse than we are capable of.

R'Albin
27-05-2013, 08:46 AM
What a great thread. Fantastic post ODS :agree:

Sammy7nil
27-05-2013, 08:50 AM

Here here, that is 3 finals and an 11 (Eleven) 1 aggregate score we must expect better.

Hibs in transition shock ! we will constantly lose our best players or managers we just have to get on with it. I have supported Hibs for nearly 50 years this is said almost every year.

Sammy7nil
27-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Leaving aside the 'are we back slapping after a defeat' debate, i think youre being a bit hard on the performance. We were the best team for the first ten minutes, but Celtcs first goal killed us. That allowed them to slow it down and catch us on the counterattack. We had Doyles header and Sparkys through on goal when he overran it slightly, both of those could have changed the game. Coulda Woulda Shoulda perhaps but a few small things counted against us; coming iinto the game I thought we could dominate central midfield, Taiwo and Claros were on a run of good form and they were missing Kayal and Wanyama. As it turned out they dominated in that area, Brown was faultless, Claros was maybe a bit down from his recent high standards, and thats where they won the game. We had a decent amount of possession but they were fast, clinical and looked like a quality side.

Saying we were 'mediocre' is unfair IMO.

Sorry not having a go but that is EXACTLY what we were mediocre.
Did ANY Hibs player have his best game of the season? did several players freeze only showing glimpses of what they can do?

Hibs were average at very best at no point from 7 minutes in did we look acapable of getting back in the game if that is not mediocre what is :confused:

jdships
27-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Many fine and inspirational words on this thread especially from the OP. It was special to stand there and cheer the team long after the final whistle yesterday and I too am looking forward to see how our team develops over the coming years especially the likes of Harris.

As fans we were amazing and responded superbly even in defeat. As usual it was a great day out and as a support there is certainly none more deserving of a cup victory.

The stark reality though is we lost the game. In 1979 I had similar hopes of returning to Hampden and winning the cup soon but it was 22 years before we got there again. If that happens again myself and ODS who are of similar age might not be around to see it( sorry ODS I see we are of similar vintage and you are probably fit as a fiddle:wink:)

We need someone or something, a manager, a player, a super sub, a one game wonder, a fluke, a dodgy penalty, an offside goal, anything just someone who can rise to the occassion and get the job done. No more excuses, it's getting ridiculous we need to just win the bloody thing.:cb

Good post !!
I too was there in 1979 and now being in my 80's have increasing doubts if I will ever see the SC at ER .
Agree with the quote 100% but the sad thing is we all know in our heart of hearts that the only way to achieve our ambitions on the field is through investment
Where that will/could come from is any ones guess :greengrin
Well done STF over the years - thank you

Meanwhile life goes on , hope springs eternal etc etc

:flag:

Paisley Hibby
27-05-2013, 09:09 AM
For those slating the performance.. For hibs to win the cup Celtic had to not show up! They did and were always going to win then!! Hibs had just as much of the ball and no clear cut chances? Doyles header, sparky round the keeper, Harris cut back to griffiths that just got stuck between wilsons legs.. Even taiwo nearly had a great chance at the death! I thought hibs were a half yard slower than Celtic and less clinical and that's what there money gets you!

Exactly!

The OP is one of the best I've ever read on Hibs Net :top marks

Ray_
27-05-2013, 09:15 AM

I'm with you on that one. The support was absolutely magnificent and quite frankly deserves more. The first seven minutes we were competitive and showed we could take the game to Celtic and look dangerous. Basic errors brought all Celtic's goals & after the first went in, our bums fell off for most of the rest of that half, we done better in the second half, but the game was over as a contest, because we were toothless.

Celtic are a better team than us, with a far bigger budget, that's always been the case. It was the case even more so when Partick Thistle were four nil up against arguably their best side ever at half time, in a cup final. It was also the same last season when Hearts put them out and this season when Dundee United took them to the wire in the semi and St Mirren beat them at the same stage in the League Cup.

Eddie Turnbull said we will be back in 1972 and we were, very briefly, but sadly not in the Scottish Cup, well not until 1979, when a fairly poor Hibs side [compared to the rest of that decade] suffered an unlucky extra time loss in the third game against Rangers, at least they showed guts. The next season, Des Bremner apart, [who was sold early in the new season], the same team was relegated.

Celtic weren't great yesterday, they didn't have to be, individual players were great for them, particularly ironically, Stokes and Brown, it says it all that McG is today quoted happy that we didn't capitulate and the score was kept to 3-0!!

While saying all that, as a fan of Hibs, [without doubt, by far, the most underachieving team in the country], I remain optimistic, as the support does, even after all the false dawns, that Pat Fenlon with harvest the current new young generation of supremely talented youngsters, supplemented by a few shrewd signings and enter a new exciting period for the club, which will see me finally see the elusive Scottish Cup displayed at ER, by my team, which is something countless fans never managed in their lifetime.

Beefster
27-05-2013, 09:19 AM
I'm an uber-fan because I have a ST, am a hibs.net private member and wear Hibs tangas every day, not because I think we played poor yesterday.

Baldy Foghorn
27-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Thread title is pathetic......So if you are not happy with yesterday's performance you are labelled an uberfan.....Get a grip....:rolleyes:

hibsbollah
27-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Sorry not having a go but that is EXACTLY what we were mediocre.
Did ANY Hibs player have his best game of the season? did several players freeze only showing glimpses of what they can do?

Hibs were average at very best at no point from 7 minutes in did we look acapable of getting back in the game if that is not mediocre what is :confused:

Thats fair enough, i saw it differently. We were second best to Celtc without a doubt, nobody had their best game of the season but noone needs to be ashamed of their performance either. Our next step needs to be a further strengthening in the summer, particularly a striker and someone else opposite Harris to create attacks from the midfield.

Sammy7nil
27-05-2013, 09:23 AM
I'm with you on that one. The support was absolutely magnificent and quite frankly deserves more. The first seven minutes we were competitive and showed we could take the game to Celtic and look dangerous. Basic errors brought all Celtic's goals & after the first went in, our bums fell off for most of the rest of that half, we done better in the second half, but the game was over as a contest, because we were toothless.

Celtic are a better team than us, with a far bigger budget, that's always been the case. It was the case even more so when Partick Thistle were four nil up against arguably their best side ever at half time, in a cup final. It was also the same last season when Hearts put them out and this season when Dundee United took them to the wire in the semi and St Mirren beat them at the same stage in the League Cup.

Eddie Turnbull said we will be back in 1972 and we were, very briefly, but sadly not in the Scottish Cup, well not until 1979, when a fairly poor Hibs side [compared to the rest of that decade] suffered an unlucky extra time loss in the third game against Rangers, at least they showed guts. The next season, Des Bremner apart, [who was sold early in the new season], the same team was relegated.

Celtic weren't great yesterday, they didn't have to be, individual players were great for them, particularly ironically, Stokes and Brown, it says it all that McG is today quoted happy that we didn't capitulate and the score was kept to 3-0!!

While saying all that, as a fan of Hibs, [without doubt, by far, the most underachieving team in the country], I remain optimistic, as the support does, even after all the false dawns, that Pat Fenlon with harvest the current new young generation of supremely talented youngsters, supplemented by a few shrewd signings and enter a new exciting period for the club, which will see me finally see the elusive Scottish Cup displayed at ER, by my team, which is something countless fans never managed in their lifetime.

Good stuff :thumbsup:

Alfred E Newman
27-05-2013, 09:25 AM
[QUOTE=Golden Bear;3622909]Quite honestly I'm finding all this self congratulatory back slapping a wee bit over the top this morning.

Yesterday's defeat didn't seem so devastating as last year but the fact that THE TEAM barely created a single goalscoring opportunity in 90 minutes of football is very disappointing to say the least.[/QUOT

Predictable response. I can see us no speaking again!! :take that

monktonharp
27-05-2013, 09:34 AM

Yesterday's defeat didn't seem so devastating as last year but the fact that THE TEAM barely created a single goalscoring opportunity in 90 minutes of football is very disappointing to say the least. congrats, you've just won the" most whingeing Hibs fan of the morning award."

27-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Great post and I agree with every word. Last years final we were fighting relegation all season and were up against a team that had wrongly spent millions on players they couldn't afford, plus a ref that was never gonna let us have anything from that game so the winner was always gonna be hearts. We have used last years cup final to lift us and make us stronger, its brought everyone together despite hearts ludicrous claims that they "killed us".

This year we have a stronger team and a team that actually cares and plays for the jersey, unfortunately celtic were just too strong for us on the day.

We got beat but I am holding my head up high this morning and can honestly say i've never been so proud to be a hibee! The support yesterday was unbelievable, 20,000 hibees singing and bouncing from start to finish, we put celtic fans to shame. I love how the jambos are coming out the woodwork this morning, obviously the highlight of their season! I think its pissing them off though that we are all still up beat.

:flag:

Scouse Hibee
27-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Uber fan label used again in Hibs.net spirit of righteousness :rolleyes:

Nice post though.

Johnny Clash
27-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Great post mate.

Anyone who's ever played football in a team knows the feeling when you're up against superior opposition. No matter how hard you try nothing seems to work and it's very frustrating! It's not lack of effort or the wrong attitude - it's just that the team you're up against is better.

We were well marked yesterday and had to use long high balls when we would have preferred neat passing on the deck. Their defence coped with that all day long.

We were up against the Champions of Scotland who had a squad that outmatch our squad in every single position. There's not a single Hibs player who could walk into that Celtic team and get a regular game - not even Sparky.

They can bring on Internationalists from the bench whereas we bring on young laddies who we're still developing.

It's a ****ty feeling losing. Like every other Hibee I hoped they'd have an off day, that the ref and linesmen would be fair, that we'd play superbly well and get some rub of the green.

I'm gutted that never happened. More so today than yesterday... but despite all the advantages that attract the glory hunters to Celtic - I'm proud to follow my local team through thick and thin and couldn't agree more with all the previous comments about our support at the end.

No amount of money or dominance can buy you that brilliant genuine support! On that front we wiped the floor with Celtic and we live to fight another day!

monktonharp
27-05-2013, 09:40 AM
the Hibernian fans, from the 3rd goal onwards were great. stood up and out sung, and probably surprised the Celtic fans until it was Lennons' team's time to receive their medals. BBC commentator was a clown, in fact a well known clown to all that don't support OF teams. he was pandering to the OF masses as usual and could not give credit to us. none given, and less expected.

Baldy Foghorn
27-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Thats fair enough, i saw it differently. We were second best to Celtc without a doubt, nobody had their best game of the season but noone needs to be ashamed of their performance either. Our next step needs to be a further strengthening in the summer, particularly a striker and someone else opposite Harris to create attacks from the midfield.

I thought we were not good enough after the opening goal, which seemed to deflate us. The real concern is replacing Griffiths if he goes, as I don't see many goals coming from elsewhere. Craig is an attacking option from midfield, which helps, as some of our midfielders are reluctant to shoot, but for me, another big summer coming up, trying to find the right player's to help us kick on.

GreenPJ
27-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Whilst the support was great (where is it on a weekly basis during the season) and the players were more committed than last year, I still think Pat made a number of mistakes in terms of personnel and shape.

McGivern has struggled at left back against lesser opposition never mind Celtic, why not go with Stevenson initially.
Doyle has struggled to show any real consistent form since the start of the season if we were going to start with a 4-4-2 which we did why not Caldwell.
Thomson is never a left midfielder, this compounded the pressure on McGivern.
Maybury has done well but everyone knows he is lacking pace now - admittedly not as easy to find a replacement with Clancy injured but again with Harris ahead of him Maybury did not have much support
Leigh has been and is fantastic but it was apparent from 10 mins in he was nowhere near fit - why wait 87 mins to make the change

We were 2nd best to Celtic on the day but for me some of the tactics and team selection did nothing to try and make us competitive.

jakeshibs
27-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Fantastic post, very proud to be a Hibs supporter, greatest fans in the world. :flag:lets get behind the team for the next season.

Fergus52
27-05-2013, 09:45 AM

A previous post identified four pretty clear cut chances.

Celtic didn't have many more than that.

Baldy Foghorn
27-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Whilst the support was great (where is it on a weekly basis during the season) and the players were more committed than last year, I still think Pat made a number of mistakes in terms of personnel and shape.

McGivern has struggled at left back against lesser opposition never mind Celtic, why not go with Stevenson initially.
Doyle has struggled to show any real consistent form since the start of the season if we were going to start with a 4-4-2 which we did why not Caldwell.
Maybury has done well but everyone knows he is lacking pace now - admittedly not as easy to find a replacement with Clancy injured but again with Harris ahead of him Maybury did not have much support
Leigh has been and is fantastic but it was apparent from 10 mins in he was nowhere near fit - why wait 87 mins to make the change

We were 2nd best to Celtic on the day but for me some of the tactics and team selection did nothing to try and make us competitive.

Looked like self preservation in the second half, as opposed to us trying to take the game to them, to try and pull the deficit back

DaveF
27-05-2013, 09:48 AM
I thought we were not good enough after the opening goal, which seemed to deflate us. The real concern is replacing Griffiths if he goes, as I don't see many goals coming from elsewhere. Craig is an attacking option from midfield, which helps, as some of our midfielders are reluctant to shoot, but for me, another big summer coming up, trying to find the right player's to help us kick on.

:agree: I think that goal was a boot in the baws to our gameplan and we kinda went to bits therafter.

Makaveli
27-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Against a better side, a team can't "play to the best of their abilities" --- the other side doesn't let them!

That happened yesterday. Our boys TRIED to the best of their abilities and I love them for it.

Golden Bear
27-05-2013, 09:50 AM
A previous post identified four pretty clear cut chances.

Celtic didn't have many more than that.

Nah -------- Doyle's header was a chance the other incidents were at very best half chances. It all depends on your definition of chance I daresay.

Baldy Foghorn
27-05-2013, 09:51 AM
:agree: I think that goal was a boot in the baws to our gameplan and we kinda went to bits therafter.

And after the goal, we really struggled to get back into the game, and showed very little attacking presence. Expected to see some sort of cavalry charge in the second half, but it never happened.

Fifer
27-05-2013, 09:57 AM
1. We are a club and team in the process of rebuilding. getting to the final last year was near miraculous and pretty unfortunate at the same time. We were nowhere near ready for a game of that magnitude. Getting to this year's final was unexpected too given the partially reworked nature of our squad and the first team.

2. Every time we play the Ugly Sisters in ANY game - and particularly in a cup final, we are playing 12 men and we are also playing against 100 years of sectarian fuelled financial mismatch.

3. Griffiths was patently carrying some kind of injury and in case you haven't noticed we have a thin squad with little quality cover in almost all parts of the pitch.

4. Last year was a complete capitulation. This year we were simply outplayed and outmuscled by a team that is bigger, faster and more skilled. They are all those things because they have vastly more money to spend than us and can afford to buy better players. That is what the bigotry dividend brings them. 'Fans' and their associated revenue from a catchment area which is all of Scotland and beyond, compared to any other club in Scotland all of which have geographical catchment areas which are very localised.

5. I'm pig sick of the short term mentality that expects a football club to be transformed overnight. We are on a journey that takes a long time. Three years to start to see serious results. If you want and expect instant gratification then you are following the wrong sport - watch Formula 1 instead.

6. The Hibernian support yesterday was magnificent and we are right to celebrate that. If Richard Gordon thinks Hibs fans come to the Cup Final for a party then he is a village idiot. The last 20 minutes or so of that game and after the final whistle yesterday clearly wasn't about having a party or celebrating a defeat. It was a spontaneous statement of our togetherness, our spirit and our determination to stand together. It wasn't organised, no one proposed or planned it in advance and you couldn't have choreographed it if you had tried. It came from the heart. It lasted noisily throughout most of Scott Brown's post-match interview with the BBC and I thought it was a telling point that the Celtic captain felt moved to acknowledge it.

7. That Hibs team walking around the perimeter of the pitch after the end of the game was unrecognisable from the one defeated last year. They were absolutely gutted. You could see they felt the pain. The jerseys mean something to that side.

8. Yesterday wasn't the end of the journey. This year we are undefeated against Hearts, topped the bottom six (but for one or two woeful refereeing decisions we would have been in the top six) and next year we have Europe to look forward to. In the process we have unearthed some real treasure in Harris and Forster and Caldwell isn't far behind. We also now have a goalkeeper worthy of the title.

9. Unlike our neighbours we are not in the business of asset stripping our squad

10. Ask yourself why our seats barely thinned at all after the third goal. The vast majority of the support can see that we are making progress, know that the future and vitality of our club is as much about the support as it is the team and understands that Pat and the squad faced a Herculean task yesterday. Just as the team needed to improve and needs to keep improving we too as a support have the same task. It is what lifts the players and it is what binds us one to another. Yesterday showed that we have taken massive strides forward as a support. Compare and contrast: A) the emotional attachment of the fans to one another and the players at the end yesterday after a three nil defeat B) the Hearts players being sent back out after the last derby to do an end of season lap of honour to an empty stadium and the few remaining stewards at Tynecastle.

11. Finally, it was a privilege to be a part of the support yesterday. There will certainly be better games but I suspect there will be few better emotional moments. In adversity is when you discover how strong you are. We were 20,000 strong and loud and proud. We really were Hibs Class.

Being Hibernian is about a lot more than just what happens on the park. It’s dignity, perseverance and the Hibs family regardless of the ups and downs of the team.

We are the club that wouldn't die - never let them forget. :thumbsup:

Scouse Hibee
27-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Against a better side, a team can't "play to the best of their abilities" --- the other side doesn't let them!

That happened yesterday. Our boys TRIED to the best of their abilities and I love them for it.

Nonsense of course they can.

Tyler Durden
27-05-2013, 10:08 AM

Agree 100%.

This is one of the few posts I've read today that actually reflects the game I watched yesterday. Yes of course Celtic are a vastly superior team but our tactics let us down, Fenlon appeared to settle for the loss and several players were below par. Nothing to do with Celtics quality, just players failing to make simple passes or pressure their opponent.

As a team we barely committed a hard/bad challenge. Claros let Brown walk all over him as he did Black last year and Hanlon again showed he's a very average CB.

Credit to Taiwo IMO as he was excellent and left everything out there, which can't be said for many others.

Guess I'm an uber fan.:rolleyes:

Aldo
27-05-2013, 10:16 AM

Take a bow. Excellent post 10/10

TrickyNicky
27-05-2013, 10:25 AM

Good post mate!

:fenlon uberfans !!

Kato
27-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Nonsense of course they can.

They can, they need the other team to be off the boil a bit and to get some kind of break in front of goal, neither happened yesterday - Celtic were athletic and stood their ground where they needed to- we tried and got beat by the better team. Happens in sport.

Stantons Angel
27-05-2013, 10:38 AM
just thought id add my tuppence worth to the thread.

I think the OP was brilliant and one if not thee best ive read on this forum! we are all Hibs supporters and all want to see our team do better. As others have said the feeling connected to this defeat is nothing like the pain of last year.

Yesterday Celtic were just to strong for us and being able to afford some technically gifted players showed from the start.
In my opinion we played to the capacity Celtic afforded us, we are just not strong enough all around the team.

We are criticized for accepting this defeat and giving a good account of ourselves as fans. We dont accept defeat we never will but the standard of player between teams is vast. The only thing we as supporters could do was support our team and we did!

You let the team know you were behind them when things went bad. I always gauge an old firm game by the reaction of their support to us. Yesterday the Celtic support knew Hibs would have a go and they did. They are a bit wary of their own team at times and we had a good record against them this season. Their support were ever so quiet all game even when they scored.

Yet again we are in the process of rebuilding for next year and have the likes of Harris, Handling, Caldwell and Forster champing at the bit to get into the first team and show us what they can do. Pat must strengthen the team and use what budget he has wisely.

We all have a different outlook on things that need to be done to make us bigger and stronger but we have to take the positive from the game. The team did their best, the support was brilliant to a man. These things are all an important part of the rebuilding and need to be worked on. It isnt going to happen overnight.

Hibs have worked hard to close the gap between the club and support and it showed how far we had come yesterday.

Sitting there yesterday feeling despondent and suddenly our area filled with "We'll support you evermore!"
was as much surprising as heartfelt. This singing continued on after the full time whistle and very few left the building. The applause from the Celtic fans when Hibs players climbed those steps was brilliant too. They appreciated that we did what we could and acknowledged that. From being despondent to leaving the stadium feeling i had done my part in supporting my team didnt make me any happier but gave me hope. Hope that we can continue to put the pieces of the jigsaw together and get bigger and stronger.

Take this forward with us all and we will be bigger and better for the future.

Well done the Hibs support you were magnificent!

Danielyma6
27-05-2013, 10:55 AM
There was too many pass backs in the final third IMO . The guy next to me moaned every time the ball was passed back or was up in the air

One Day Soon
27-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Thread title is pathetic......So if you are not happy with yesterday's performance you are labelled an uberfan.....Get a grip....:rolleyes:

Hey Baldy, I actually tried to edit the Uber Fan bit out of the title immediately after making the OP but couldn't see how. I wouldn't want that to interfere with the points I was trying to make. So, happy to retract that bit because its not really what I was trying to say.

Baldy Foghorn
27-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Hey Baldy, I actually tried to edit the Uber Fan bit out of the title immediately after making the OP but couldn't see how. I wouldn't want that to interfere with the points I was trying to make. So, happy to retract that bit because its not really what I was trying to say.

Fair do's:aok:

Keith_M
27-05-2013, 12:27 PM
What has the phrase 'über fans' got to do with this? I don't see the connection between people complaining about the performance on the pitch and people that claim to be über fans

:confused:

I've actually been glad that we haven't been using the 'Happy Clapper'/'Doom and Gloomer' name calling for a while but it may just be that we've replaced those terms with this new 'über fan' term.

Personally, I'm an ünter fan, as I don't have a ST, and hardly get over for many matches in a season. Happy to clear that up :wink:

----------------------------------------------

EDIT: I just noticed that ODS has already commented on this, so I take back my comment on HIS thread, but not the use of the phrase in general.

hibee19
27-05-2013, 12:28 PM
We made too many mistakes and didn't create enough. I don't like getting beat, especially going down with such little fight. What makes it worse is there were players like Claros, Taiwo and Forster who gave it their all and I'm disappointed for them. We had to play the best game of our season and we didn't.

hibsbollah
27-05-2013, 12:44 PM
On the bright side, thats two consecutive finals we've reached. Perhaps we can start claimig a 'special relationship' with the competition:hmmm:

hibee19
27-05-2013, 01:28 PM
On the bright side, thats two consecutive finals we've reached. Perhaps we can start claimig a 'special relationship' with the competition:hmmm:

We have a special relationship with the trophy, but its one of those love/hate relationships

Hibs07p
27-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Agree 100%.

This is one of the few posts I've read today that actually reflects the game I watched yesterday. Yes of course Celtic are a vastly superior team but our tactics let us down, Fenlon appeared to settle for the loss and several players were below par. Nothing to do with Celtics quality, just players failing to make simple passes or pressure their opponent.

As a team we barely committed a hard/bad challenge. Claros let Brown walk all over him as he did Black last year and Hanlon again showed he's a very average CB.

Credit to Taiwo IMO as he was excellent and left everything out there, which can't be said for many others.

Guess I'm an uber fan.:rolleyes:

Agree / disagree with the bit in bold. No, we didn't commit a hard / bad challenge, but the referee still penalised us for the soft challenges that were made, 18 - 6 according to the BBC. And Claros was booked, only because Brown made an issue of his tackle on him. The referee was prepared to let it go, but Brown's petulance, ensured the referee had to give 2 yellows as per the Old Firm guidance manual. When an OF player acts in retaliation, book both players. I thought Claros played well and forced Brown to play his passes back instead of forward.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22585339

We, the fans turned up again and did our bit. Our team turned up and played to their capabilities, which wasn't good enough to beat Celtc. We all knew we had little chance of winning, but hoped against hope, this was going to be our year. It wasn't to be, and as we always say after a disappointing finale, there is always next year.

GGTTH

Ray_
27-05-2013, 02:28 PM

Yeah, sadly its look but don't touch though. :(

GreenCastle
27-05-2013, 04:03 PM

:top marks

I want success at the club and yesterday shows the club are still heading in the right direction - but sadly it takes time.

I don't like people saying transitional period but it has been and Fenlon will face his toughest test yet next year and should be challenging for 2nd.

Our Scottish Cup run has gone but the frustrating stage to pretty much the funny stage that we struggle to win it - I still believe we will win in sometime soon but yesterday wasn't it - I also think when it does happen it won't be against either of the old firm.

One Day Soon
27-05-2013, 04:03 PM
I'm an uber-fan because I have a ST, am a hibs.net private member and wear Hibs tangas every day, not because I think we played poor yesterday.

Not the same ones every day I hope.