PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hanlon (merged)

Disco Dave
27-05-2013, 01:19 AM
Don't want to put a dampner on what was a surprisingly good day out but **** me, how much longer are we gonna be subjected to this ****? Has a good game every 5 or 6 matches and everyone seems to think he's Carlos Puyol, completely sold us out for the first two goals today and the sooner we get rid the better I think! Forster looks a better centre half in only 3 games in! When is everyone gonna realise average Paul isn't up to the task?

Steve-O
27-05-2013, 01:22 AM
Though I've obviously missed most games he has played, I can't say I ever recall seeing him doing too much of note, ever!

I did see him run off the pitch with the ball at his feet today though...

givescotlandfreedom
27-05-2013, 01:23 AM
To be honest I think Hanlon's a pretty solid centre half though granted he maybe could have done better for their first. Not our biggest weakness by any stretch IMO.

JOD
27-05-2013, 01:25 AM
Don't want to put a dampner on what was a surprisingly good day out but **** me, how much longer are we gonna be subjected to this ****? Has a good game every 5 or 6 matches and everyone seems to think he's Carlos Puyol, completely sold us out for the first two goals today and the sooner we get rid the better I think! Forster looks a better centre half in only 3 games in! When is everyone gonna realise average Paul isn't up to the task?

:agree::agree::agree:

lEXO
27-05-2013, 01:27 AM
To be honest I think Hanlon's a pretty solid centre half though granted he maybe could have done better for their first. Not our biggest weakness by any stretch IMO.
:agree:

hibee19
27-05-2013, 01:33 AM

One major plus for me of the current management team is that they have made Paul Hanlon a better player. He might never be the very best but we have 3 decent SPL centre-halves going into the new season.

lEXO
27-05-2013, 01:41 AM
One major plus for me of the current management team is that they have made Paul Hanlon a better player. He might never be the very best but we have 3 decent SPL centre-halves going into the new season.Aye man. The guy gets a much harder time off folk than he deserves. At points he has carried Mcpake this season.

Ozyhibby
27-05-2013, 01:47 AM
One major plus for me of the current management team is that they have made Paul Hanlon a better player. He might never be the very best but we have 3 decent SPL centre-halves going into the new season.

If that's the case why do we lose so many goals, many from set pieces?
Hanlon is good on the ball but not nearly aggressive enough when we don't.
McPake has poor positional sense which results in throwing himself at the ball a lot of the time. Injury problems are not going to go away.
Too early to tell with Forster. Decent start though.
Maybury far to slow and his contract should not be renewed.
McGivern is probably worth another 1 year deal but is no superstar. Poor distribution today.
Fact is, our defence is so poor it is having to operate behind three defensive midfielders just to keep us in the game. The amount of goals scored by our midfield this year is pitiful.

hibee19
27-05-2013, 02:01 AM
Hanlon is good on the ball but not nearly aggressive enough when we don't.
McPake has poor positional sense which results in throwing himself at the ball a lot of the time. Injury problems are not going to go away.
Too early to tell with Forster. Decent start though.
Maybury far to slow and his contract should not be renewed.
McGivern is probably worth another 1 year deal but is no superstar. Poor distribution today.
Fact is, our defence is so poor it is having to operate behind three defensive midfielders just to keep us in the game. The amount of goals scored by our midfield this year is pitiful.

I'd like to know of a better CH than Hanlon we could sign this summer. Hanlon gets caught out sometimes but all in all is a good solid CH.

As for McPake I think he's a fantastic leader. Maybe similar to David Luiz at Chelsea he could play as a holding midfielder where his impact would be felt but his mistakes wouldn't be quite so costly.

lEXO
27-05-2013, 02:03 AM
I'd like to know of a better CH than Hanlon we could sign this summer. Hanlon gets caught out sometimes but all in all is a good solid CH.

As for McPake I think he's a fantastic leader. Maybe similar to David Luiz at Chelsea he could play as a holding midfielder where his impact would be felt but his mistakes wouldn't be quite so costly.
I agree on Hanlon mate. However Mcpake is never a midfielder in any way

hibee19
27-05-2013, 02:07 AM
I agree on Hanlon mate. However Mcpake is never a midfielder in any way

Maybe not, but at times hes not looked much like a defender either. He probably shouldn't be in the first team but we would miss his leadership.

Disco Dave
27-05-2013, 02:20 AM

I'm sorry mate but I just absolutely pished myself laughing at that comment, are you at the wind up? McPake as a holding midfielder? Behave, Claros is a PROPER holding midfielder and doesn't get the credit he deserves most matches. Are you honestly saying you could see McPake doing what he does?

HIBERNIAN-0762
27-05-2013, 07:30 AM
Been saying it for an age now but always get shot down by happy clappers and members on here who must like watching bad performances.

He's a very likeable lad but looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights too ofter, soft and cumbersome most of the time and his positioning for the first two goals yesterday was unacceptable.

We need to sign someone with a bit of steel in that department but I don't expect Fenlon to do anything about him and he will be there as usual next season.

RIP
27-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Think the defence would cope better if Ben commanded his eighteen yard area. He doesn't even command his 6 yard box. That area is constantly targeted by opposition teams.

hibsbollah
27-05-2013, 07:43 AM

Every goal is a result of a defensive mistake if you want to spin it that way. The truth is Celtics first was the result of a great cross, a clever run and a smart finish. Hanlon was beaten to the ball by an excellent striker. I gave him 5/10 yesterday, certainly not a shocker from our best defender this season.

I'm_cabbaged
27-05-2013, 07:44 AM

Getting caught out and losing goals doesn't make you a bad CH?

Heisenberg
27-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Maybury should've booted the ball out with ease then Williams should've been out claiming an easy catch instead of getting caught under it and watching the ball sail over his head. Hanlon wasn't to blame for it.

steviehibsleith
27-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Every goal is a result of a defensive mistake if you want to spin it that way. The truth is Celtics first was the result of a great cross, a clever run and a smart finish. Hanlon was beaten to the ball by an excellent striker. I gave him 5/10 yesterday, certainly not a shocker from our best defender this season.
5/10 is a surprisingly good match mark for a CH who lost his man twice for 2 goals.

Paul Hanlon is not a very good Center Half - he is too weak, no aggression and constantly ball watches which is why balls over his head cause so many goals because he never knows where his man is.

he is composed and a decent passer of the ball but young forster is a better CH in my eyes allready and the big question i always ask about a player if he left Hibs tomorrow where would he end up ? Better than Hibs or lower ?

Winston Ingram
27-05-2013, 09:56 AM

Is this post a wind up? He's been one of our best players this season

PeterboroHibee
27-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Maybury should've booted the ball out with ease then Williams should've been out claiming an easy catch instead of getting caught under it and watching the ball sail over his head. Hanlon wasn't to blame for it.

It all started with Claros giving the ball away in midfield under no pressure iirc. A goal full of ridiculous mistakes. I dont think you can say Hanlon wasnt to blame though.

As for the main point of the thread, Hanlon can have games where he looks really comfortable than have games like yesterday. Twice he was beaten by Hooper, and continuously booted the ball forward to one of our three fairly small forwards. Fair enough if thats what hes being told to do, but you need to be pretty bloody good to find a small forward from that far, and Celtic won it more often than not. In key situations he does seem like he is bullied off the ball a bit as well.

eastterrace
27-05-2013, 10:19 AM

sorry mate great cross dont think so our goalie made it look a great cross, he so poor with cross balls , best goalie we have had in a while but he keeps losing these silly goals. he was at fault with the first , no chance with the other two.

Wotherspiniesta
27-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Very disappointed with Paul's performance yesterday.

He's been good for us this season, but IMO let us down. With our captain and leader out yesterday, we needed a strong CB to cajole us from the back, but we just didn't get that from Hanlon. I was shaking my head at a point in the 2nd half when he was comfortably knocked off the ball by Kris Commons. That's not what you expect from a CB.

iwasthere1972
27-05-2013, 11:07 AM

Agree. If only Maybury had just done the basics like kicking the ball into the stand in the first place then it was unlikely that Celtic would have scored. At that time we were playing well but as soon as the unwashed put the ball in our net that was about it. We needed to score first to have any chance of doing the impossible but thanks to Maybury's inability to do the basics it was never going to be our day.

Oh well next year it is then. GGTTH

Vault Boy
27-05-2013, 11:09 AM
I think yesterday mainly highlighted our need for a good right back. Clancy was quite good when he came in but has been really unfortunate with injury, and I'm not sure he's our answer to that. Maybury has been a good signing and has had some really solid games for us when he has had to play, but in reality he isn't the answer either, especially at 34. McGivern had a fairly poor game yesterday too but he has proven himself in many more games this season (although I see him as a CH). Lewis can do a really good job at LB also, so if we keep Ryan that's the LB position sorted really. Clancy's versatility is very helpful and I think he mostly played for Motherwell at CH so he is a good player to have, however I feel as though we need a player with a bit more pace and willingness to get forward at RB.

(May I add that a fit Clancy would be fine for me if that's who we had to play next year, I just feel we need someone a bit pacer and attack minded).

superfurryhibby
27-05-2013, 11:14 AM
First goal-Williams was much more culpable. Second goal, Hanlon could have done better.

IWasThere2016
27-05-2013, 11:15 AM
He's too 'nice', and he - and others - should have dealt with both the first and second goals IMHO.

But the first should have been cleared by Maybury. He tried a silly clearence. Why not try and take a touch or put it out for a corner and let the defence re-group?

What Williams is doing for the first also?!?! He gets lost under it.

The second is no better - inside 6 yards and a keeper, CH and LB all other 6 foot get done by a striker half a head smaller than them.

Poor stuff.

SMAXXA
27-05-2013, 11:19 AM

I don't think its a wind up at all, it is a very valid comment IMO. I had similar arguments with my mates yesterday and I firmly believe he is not good enough for what I would want to see from a CH. Not aggressive enough and tends to just punt it forward and surrender possession. His positional sense is poor at times aswell. I accept there are people that believe his is good enough and have a different view from me, which I respect. On a similar note and not just with Hanlon, I feel we are far to much of a soft touch as a team, if Brown had reacted to that challenge from Claros in my team I would expect my players to go radge at him and grab him and tell him to get tae ****. We prick, he can dish it out but no one can tackle Scott Brown, aye good one.

Saturdays Hero
27-05-2013, 11:24 AM

McPake - David Luiz Lol,Lol I like Mcpake when fully fit but to compare to Luiz :D that gave me a chuckle ....think you've been playing too many games of Football Manager on the computer ;-)

MWHIBBIES
27-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Kevin Thomson should take massive blame for the first goal, the original cross came from him being miles from his man (their right back)

archiebald
27-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Hanlon is big softie for center half,every team in PL has a tougher C/H

Baader
27-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Both fullbacks were poor yesterday I thought. Hanlon is a decent pro. Maybe needs to toughen up a bit and be a bit more aggressive but with our budget who can we sign that realistically would do better?

PISTOL1875
27-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Very disappointed with Paul's performance yesterday.

He's been good for us this season, but IMO let us down. With our captain and leader out yesterday, we needed a strong CB to cajole us from the back, but we just didn't get that from Hanlon. I was shaking my head at a point in the 2nd half when he was comfortably knocked off the ball by Kris Commons. That's not what you expect from a CB.

Same here mate.. He should never be bullied like that.. Imagine if that was say , Andy Webster ? KC would've been sitting on his backside..

PONGO
27-05-2013, 12:06 PM

I can,t believe nobody has said anything about Mcgivern. I thought Mcgivern had a nightmare. Out of position all day and his distribution was awful. Wee Lewis should have been on gives 100% every game. Still very disappointed if we had closed them down more and had more shots on goal when you get a chance. I still think Spoony would have done a wee job for us coming on . Still enjoyed the day sober with my son . Gutted for him as it was his 10th Birthday yesterday but you know what he just said there,s always next year dad. Good Lad.

dp00
27-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Geez pick on hanlon..... what was going on with mcgivern ??? Maybury a tad dodgy too...

Id be happy for maybury to get another season as he will be a good figure in changing room.

But going into next season good to know central defence is sorted with forster , hanlon and mcpake

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Heisenberg
27-05-2013, 12:32 PM
The two full backs were both awful. Celtc looked like scoring every time they worked the ball out wide.

inglisavhibs
27-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Much more McGivern's fault for these goals, he has nobody behind him, and can see everything in front of him.i think he hesitates at the first and doesn't come in close enough to Hanlon at the second. Centre back is not anywhere near our biggest problem just now especially with the emergence of young Forster who did well again.

SMAXXA
27-05-2013, 12:46 PM
The two full backs were both awful. Celtc looked like scoring every time they worked the ball out wide.

Agree with that, they were both poor. McGivern in particular has been poor the last couple of games, wasn't great against Dundee either. Hey ho, roll on next season.

Aldo
27-05-2013, 12:53 PM

Total and utter Rubbish. Yes Maybury should of just kicked the ball out but to single him out. I really thought after the first goal he had a pretty steady game and in the 2nd half tried to pass and get forward.

I can only remember once in the 2nd half when samaras got by him but there were worse players in the park than Maybury. My opinion mind.

Williams didn't cover himself in glory either but I will say (and posted this on another thread) I thought McGivern could of just tucked himself in behind the CH and put himself in harms way. He prob had the best view if the ball and for me was ball watching instead of attacking the ball.

PeterboroHibee
27-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Total and utter Rubbish. Yes Maybury should of just kicked the ball out but to single him out. I really thought after the first goal he had a pretty steady game and in the 2nd half tried to pass and get forward.

I can only remember once in the 2nd half when samaras got by him but there were worse players in the park than Maybury. My opinion mind.

Williams didn't cover himself in glory either but I will say (and posted this on another thread) I thought McGivern could of just tucked himself in behind the CH and put himself in harms way. He prob had the best view if the ball and for me was ball watching instead of attacking the ball.

I thought Maybury played well and I like him, isnt particularly flash and doesnt get up the pitch that much but I think hes been pretty solid for us (with the exception of a few mistakes). His clearance out wasnt great for the first, but Stokes had to pick up the ball and put the cross in, theres no excuse for 2 defenders and the keeper to mess up so much when the ball came in.

hibee19
27-05-2013, 01:49 PM
McPake - David Luiz Lol,Lol I like Mcpake when fully fit but to compare to Luiz :D that gave me a chuckle ....think you've been playing too many games of Football Manager on the computer ;-)

We lack leaders in the team, yesterday proved that. The comparison was about mistakes, nothing else. McPake is too mistake-prone to be a centre-half and someone suggested to me about February why not try him playing in front of the defence.

As far as playing too much football manager goes I wouldn't consider playing a player with such a lack of footballing skill in midfield but right now in the real world we either play McPake at CH and leak goals or drop him and lose his presence on the field.

Up The Bracket
27-05-2013, 02:24 PM
People that don't rate Hanlon don't have a clue about football, especially if they rate McGivern.

mentalhibee
27-05-2013, 02:31 PM
People that don't rate Hanlon don't have a clue about football, especially if they rate McGivern.

Spot on mate.

HIBERNIAN-0762
27-05-2013, 02:37 PM
As I said in my original post there are members on here who just want to put up with bad performances just because the player is a Hibs fan, and remember the title of this is about Hanlon not McGivern or Maybury

GET REAL FFS

Bobby's Cinema
27-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Paul Hanlon has been a Hibs player for many years. He continues to freeze on the big occasion. For me, and I'm sure others will disagree, I'm not convinced there's any improvement left in him

J-C
27-05-2013, 03:52 PM
I've never been Hanlon's biggest fan, he has improved this past 12 months but I'm still not convinced he's going to get any better than where he's at right now. I thought he was ok yesterday, distribution was poor as usual but generally not the worst on the park. I still reckon he's decent, will he get better, maybe, still think we need better to go further with the team, average players gives you an average team and this is where we're at right now.

LeighLoyal
27-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Lets not hide away from it, the shoddy first half defending let the fans and rest of the team down and cost us any chance of winning. Not good enough.

SMAXXA
27-05-2013, 04:15 PM

Spot on mate.

:faf: What a stupid comment to make, your going to get people who rate players more than other, or don't rate them at all, doesn't mean they know nothing about football. FWIF I have played senior and Junior for years and now in the managerial side of things so I like to think I have some clue about football, and BTW I don't rate him much. Doesn't mean to say I know nothing about football, just I don't think he is as good as what I believe we should have. I agree with another poster I believe he has improved this season, just not enough IMO.

scoopyboy
27-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Plenty of folk on here were picking teams for the final, I think everyone had Paul Hanlon in their team.

After the semi people never had a gripe about him in the five games we were undefeated in.

First chance they get the same knockers get back on their high horse.

Funny that eh.

jdships
27-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Before we get too critical of Paul Hanlon lets stop and remember he has been " papering over the McPake cracks " all season
Given the right partner , Forster through time will be just that , he will be OK
Around 145 games for Hibs now - must be doing something right :greengrin

Saturdays Hero
27-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Geez pick on hanlon..... what was going on with mcgivern ??? Maybury a tad dodgy too...

Id be happy for maybury to get another season as he will be a good figure in changing room.

But going into next season good to know central defence is sorted with forster , hanlon and mcpake

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

No way would I entertain giving Maybury another year,nothing personal but he doesn't offer enough as a fullback,I'm afraid his best days are behind him & would be pretty disappointed if he's given an extension & for what it's worth I thought McGivern had a stinker yesterday his distribution was awful,had numerous occasions when he had the option to push fwd but refused & on the 1 occasion he did he provided a cracking cross for Doyle,he's got potential to improve & would be happy to sign him up but yesterday was a poor performance from the lad.

Fergus52
27-05-2013, 11:27 PM

:agree:.

I highly doubt the OP has been to many games this season.

He's been our best and most consistent defender, and I can't remember the last time I saw him make a real howler.

Leishy1995
28-05-2013, 07:08 AM
:agree:.

I highly doubt the OP has been to many games this season.

He's been our best and most consistent defender, and I can't remember the last time I saw him make a real howler.

Our best defender is an accolade no player wants

We have conceded 200+ goals in 4 years. This clubs defending has been horrid.

Brightside
28-05-2013, 07:40 AM
Our best defender is an accolade no player wants

We have conceded 200+ goals in 4 years. This clubs defending has been horrid.

Indeed it has - and Hanlon has only had a decent CH next to him for the last 3 games! Lets get the RB and LB sorted and we'll see a huge difference.

Wotherspiniesta
28-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Plenty of folk on here were picking teams for the final, I think everyone had Paul Hanlon in their team.

After the semi people never had a gripe about him in the five games we were undefeated in.

First chance they get the same knockers get back on their high horse.

Funny that eh.

I would definately have had Hanlon in the team. As I said earlier, he's been good for us this season.

It doesn't make him immune from criticism though.

I think his performance was poor on Sunday.

Brightside
28-05-2013, 11:09 AM
I would definately have had Hanlon in the team. As I said earlier, he's been good for us this season.

It doesn't make him immune from criticism though.

I think his performance was poor on Sunday.

I dont remember Celtic winning anything through the middle. All their stuff came from the wings due to a poor show from LB and RB. I'm still not sure what Hanlon did wrong, and ive wacthed the goals a few times. Every time Hanlon is trying to cover for McGivern. Does Hanlon make errors? Yes - but all defenders do. He's a solid pro and we need to keep him as long as we can.

DaveF
28-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Can't really see the need to single out Hanlon. Over the season our defending as a unit has fluctuated between comical to just plain rubbish with the odd decent game thrown in. We had to be at our absolute best on Sunday and were weren't.

MWHIBBIES
28-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Before we get too critical of Paul Hanlon lets stop and remember he has been " papering over the McPake cracks " all season
Given the right partner , Forster through time will be just that , he will be OK
Around 145 games for Hibs now - must be doing something right :greengrinHe has hardly been papering over the McPake cracks all season, he looks a much better center back with McPake along side him actually. This right partner Hanlon things is rubbish tbh, if Paul Hanlon has a bad game its Paul Hanlons fault, no one elses.

MWHIBBIES
28-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Indeed it has - and Hanlon has only had a decent CH next to him for the last 3 games! Lets get the RB and LB sorted and we'll see a huge difference.Again what a croc of ****, after 3 games Mcpake was the best thing since sliced bread, now he is crap and the new flavor of the month has everybody raving. Without McPake we would be in the first division right now, he hasn't even been bad all of this season, had some very good games, especially against Hearts and Celtic.

The Leith Dutch
28-05-2013, 11:38 AM
I think a better way of looking at it is not how you rate Paul Hanlon as a centre half but will he stop us being where we want to be next season and I'd say he won't.

Next season we should be looking to make top six at worst and, at best, challenge for or make second place (I assume most of us would agree that's the target range at least?).

Personally I don't think Paul Hanlon will stop us hitting that target - particularly if Ben Williams works on commanding his area a bit more and we start looking more threatening in attack as both those things would go a long way to easing the pressure on the defence.

There are however other parts of the current team that will stop us hitting that target range and we have to look at what, realistically, Pat Fenlon is going to have the resources to change.

Being brutally honest I think he'll have the kind of budget that will allow us to sign at most 3 or 4 players that could be looked at as the kind of quality we
want in the starting 11. He's certainly not going to get 6 or 7 first team regulars (unless he unearths a gem from the lower leagues or the youth set up).

My point would be it's not a question of "is Paul Hanlon good enough?" but is he among the first 3 or 4 members of our current starting 11 that you'd want replaced - bearing in mind that we
need to use two of those signings to get strikers - either 2 new players or (hopefully) Griffiths + 1.

brog
28-05-2013, 11:46 AM
As I said in my original post there are members on here who just want to put up with bad performances just because the player is a Hibs fan, and remember the title of this is about Hanlon not McGivern or Maybury

GET REAL FFS

I really don't care which team a Hibs player supports as long as he does a job & I hadn't realised we needed your permission to comment on other players! :wink:
I haven't seen goals again but I was right behind Stokes when he crossed for first goal & everyone around me felt that was a keeper's ball. We were astonished when it went beyond him & Williams body language appeared to indicate he knew he could have done better. As other posters have pointed out the obvious original error came from our most experienced player & a player attached to a top Premiership club totally failed to cover the back post for the first goal & was pretty ineffective throughout. ( In the 2nd half I remember Hanlon desperately covering out wide for a missing McGivern on at least 2 occasions ) The reason posters are pointing those errors by other players out is that the whole team were culpable to some extent & it seems somewhat strange to start a thread the whole purpose of which is to single out a youngish player who, apart from LG, has probably been our most consistent performer all season.

Fergus52
28-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Again what a croc of ****, after 3 games Mcpake was the best thing since sliced bread, now he is crap and the new flavor of the month has everybody raving. Without McPake we would be in the first division right now, he hasn't even been bad all of this season, had some very good games, especially against Hearts and Celtic.

Your right about him having a few very good games, but he also had loads of extremely poor games.

Hanlon has been far better throughout the course of the season, although that could be because of McPake having to play through injury.

Brightside
28-05-2013, 11:56 AM
I really don't care which team a Hibs player supports as long as he does a job & I hadn't realised we needed your permission to comment on other players! :wink:
I haven't seen goals again but I was right behind Stokes when he crossed for first goal & everyone around me felt that was a keeper's ball. We were astonished when it went beyond him & Williams body language appeared to indicate he knew he could have done better. As other posters have pointed out the obvious original error came from our most experienced player & a player attached to a top Premiership club totally failed to cover the back post for the first goal & was pretty ineffective throughout. ( In the 2nd half I remember Hanlon desperately covering out wide for a missing McGivern on at least 2 occasions ) The reason posters are pointing those errors by other players out is that the whole team were culpable to some extent & it seems somewhat strange to start a thread the whole purpose of which is to single out a youngish player who, apart from LG, has probably been our most consistent performer all season.

This is spot on and thankfully the manager agrees and has him first on the team sheet most weeks.

SMAXXA
28-05-2013, 11:56 AM
One thing you cannot dispute about Hanlon is that he always gives 100% and never looks disinterested like some players we have had the last few years.

LeithBoozy
28-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Your right about him having a few very good games, but he also had loads of extremely poor games.

Hanlon has been far better throughout the course of the season, although that could be because of McPake having to play through injury.

Well said, the fact is McPake has been carried a back Injury all this season. He showed his commitment to the team by volunteering to take a pain killing Injection and play.

Milandinho
28-05-2013, 12:20 PM
I quite like Hanlon. Yeah he could have done better on Sunday (I would have liked to see him throw himself at the ball rather than wrestling with hooper for the 1st) and needs to bulk up a bit as he is very lightweight for a centre half. He reads the game well, is vocal and is good with the ball at his feet. He is still very young for a centre half and his positional sense will only get better with age and experience imho.

I think there has been a big improvement over his performances from last season and for me he has easily been our best/most consistent defender this season.

jdships
28-05-2013, 12:30 PM
He has hardly been papering over the McPake cracks all season, he looks a much better center back with McPake along side him actually. This right partner Hanlon things is rubbish tbh, if Paul Hanlon has a bad game its Paul Hanlons fault, no one elses.

Sorry to disagree with you:greengrin
McPake has been the weaker of the two this season wether this is down to the injury he is carrying I don't know but IMO he is not the answer to our defensive problems

Suggest you look at all the top teams and you will find , as far back as you like to go, that a C/B pairing has been crucial
Look at the good pairings Hibs have had over the years

Joe Mercer, Alf Ramsey,Don Revie Bobby Robson , Matt Busby Wenger , Ferguson ,Moyes have all written that the most important pairing in a football team is the C/B's .
Franz Beckenbauer said " get that pairing wrong and you don't have a spine to the team "

All their and my opinions of course :greengrin:wink:

:flag:

Brightside
28-05-2013, 01:47 PM
He has hardly been papering over the McPake cracks all season, he looks a much better center back with McPake along side him actually. This right partner Hanlon things is rubbish tbh, if Paul Hanlon has a bad game its Paul Hanlons fault, no one elses.

Im sorry but this is when i wonder if people understand how the game is played. A good CH is only as good as his partner allows him to be. Its a very complex position and one that has long out grown the hoof ball that some fans seems to love from a CH. If you honestly think that Hanlon isnt impacted by McPake having no pace and keeping everyone on side, or McGivern being caught out of position at LB then its impossible to have a discussion on the merits of the players. Since Forster came into the side the defence as a whole has defended much further up the pitch. Thats progress. Two full backs with stamina and pace are now required.

jdships
28-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Im sorry but this is when i wonder if people understand how the game is played. A good CH is only as good as his partner allows him to be. Its a very complex position and one that has long out grown the hoof ball that some fans seems to love from a CH. If you honestly think that Hanlon isnt impacted by McPake having no pace and keeping everyone on side, or McGivern being caught out of position at LB then its impossible to have a discussion on the merits of the players. Since Forster came into the side the defence as a whole has defended much further up the pitch. Thats progress. Two full backs with stamina and pace are now required.

:top marks
You obviously have a fair bit of football experience
Your line in quotes especially I totally agree with
Thank You :thumbsup:

Ozyhibby
28-05-2013, 02:03 PM
So we are all pretty much in agreement then? Paul Hanlon needs to spend his summer holidays turning in to a right horrible ****.
I think if he can do that then we may have a player on our hands.
The small amount of bookings he receives each season actually reflects badly on him. He need to let opposition forwards know they have been in a game.

Brightside
28-05-2013, 02:08 PM
So we are all pretty much in agreement then? Paul Hanlon needs to spend his summer holidays turning in to a right horrible ****.
The small amount of bookings he receives each season actually reflects badly on him. He need to let opposition forwards know they have been in a game.

I wont disagree with this. He does need to up his strength. But its coming. But we have a defender that can skin an oncoming forward in a Scottish Cup final with a Cruyf turn so we are going the right way. Next season is a huge season for Hanlon, and I'd be gutted if he wasnt in the Scotland team.

HTD1875
28-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Can't believe people are blaming Hanlon for the first goal, obviously don't realise how hard it is to deal with a cross into the 6 yard box as a centre half, goalies ball everyday of the week :rolleyes:

Notahappyhibee
28-05-2013, 02:30 PM
End of the day they were to good for us. there is no one player we can blame our defence has been our problem all season. Once again Fenlon did not get the players up for it, although if you can't get up for a final you shouldn't be playing anything let alone football.

We are going to have to put up with the same thing next season to many player moving on not enough money to entice quality players in. Going to be relying on the youngsters more next season.
I have got my season ticket i'll going home and away again all ask of any Hibs team is commitment and passion for club if we get that then I'll proud to watch them. To often over the last few seasons it seem like I've gone out of habit.
Although there been a couple of highs this season ( killie, hearts, Falkirk) there has been far more low the biggest for me was queen of the south at the start of the season :-(
I only hope it next season we get it right fingers X
GGTTH !!!

truehibernian
28-05-2013, 02:44 PM

No, he doesn't need to do that - because Jordon Forster and Tim Clancy can do the 'right horrible ****' bit perfectly well in my opinion.

Paul Hanlon has been by far the most consistent of our defenders this season, and that's from me, a self confessed 'not sure about Hanlon' fan. He's grown into the position this year and has been superb in games.

For me it's all about body language with James McPake and it's just not been right this season. Something's up and I don't know if it's the back injury or whether it's a little bit of self doubt when he's had the loss of form. He's played deeper and had allowed players space and time to turn in the box. I've noticed he's been diving in recklessly too often as well - no doubt to make up for the lack of pace or positioning. But even he'll admit he's not played well this season.

Right back is the key position defensively we need to fill - someone with a real athleticism who can get up and down the park. I rate McGivern and would be more than happy if we got him secured. He and Harris can develop an understanding. Our right side needs pace and skill. I'm not convinced Clancy is a full back, I think he's good centre half cover. Which means we need a solid but quick right back in summer.

Forster is the bravest and toughest centre half we have at the club. Paul is more cultured but you need that composure at the back too. My only criticism of Hanlon this year is that he still tends to dwell too long on the ball in space - he gets closed down because he seems to want all the time in the world to make the pass he wants to - sometimes simple is better. But there is no doubt in my mind he is one of the most improved players at the club and I'm more than happy to eat humble pie.

MWHIBBIES
28-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Im sorry but this is when i wonder if people understand how the game is played. A good CH is only as good as his partner allows him to be. Its a very complex position and one that has long out grown the hoof ball that some fans seems to love from a CH. If you honestly think that Hanlon isnt impacted by McPake having no pace and keeping everyone on side, or McGivern being caught out of position at LB then its impossible to have a discussion on the merits of the players. Since Forster came into the side the defence as a whole has defended much further up the pitch. Thats progress. Two full backs with stamina and pace are now required.Surely that means its Hanlons fault that Mcpake has poor games then. No, its McPakes, same as its Hanlons fault if he is poor, McGiverns is he is and Mayburys if he is.

FWIW I like Hanlon and agree he has been our best defender this season but if he is poor its his fault.

SMAXXA
28-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Surely that means its Hanlons fault that Mcpake has poor games then. No, its McPakes, same as its Hanlons fault if he is poor, McGiverns is he is and Mayburys if he is.

FWIW I like Hanlon and agree he has been our best defender this season but if he is poor its his fault.

:faf: No don't be daft it doesn't work like. Its no my fault its someone else's comes to mind. All this talk about CH being a specialist position blah blah blah, you can argue every single position is specialist :confused:. To be fair as much as I don't think he's that great i'm not for one minute saying he's terrible cause he clearly isnt, just IMO not good enough. We are quick to slate McPake and now McGiverns getting it so IMO Hanlon deserves as much criticism as anyone else, when its merited.

Brightside
28-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Surely that means its Hanlons fault that Mcpake has poor games then. No, its McPakes, same as its Hanlons fault if he is poor, McGiverns is he is and Mayburys if he is.

BUT he wasnt poor. Watch the goals again and look at the positioning of McGivern. Hanlon was beaten to both headers - but he actually shouldnt be there in the first place...both crosses go to the back post and should either be intercepted by the keeper or headed clear by the LB. Thats what i keep getting. People see Hanlon beaten to a header and its all "He's poor, he's soft, he cannae win a header" Even for the 3rd goal Hanlon ends up playing LB coz McGivern is still in the oppo half.

MWHIBBIES
28-05-2013, 03:21 PM
BUT he wasnt poor. Watch the goals again and look at the positioning of McGivern. Hanlon was beaten to both headers - but he actually shouldnt be there in the first place...both crosses go to the back post and should either be intercepted by the keeper or headed clear by the LB. Thats what i keep getting. People see Hanlon beaten to a header and its all "He's poor, he's soft, he cannae win a header" Even for the 3rd goal Hanlon ends up playing LB coz McGivern is still in the oppo half.I didn't say he was, but when he is he is to blame.

Brightside
28-05-2013, 03:27 PM
I didn't say he was, but when he is he is to blame.

Agreed. Every player can screw up now and then. Hanlon should be way down the kicking list though. :wink:

SMAXXA
28-05-2013, 03:27 PM
I wont disagree with this. He does need to up his strength. But its coming. But we have a defender that can skin an oncoming forward in a Scottish Cup final with a Cruyf turn so we are going the right way. Next season is a huge season for Hanlon, and I'd be gutted if he wasnt in the Scotland team.

:faf: What difference does this make? Did make me chuckle liksey :greengrin

JimBHibees
28-05-2013, 03:31 PM
BUT he wasnt poor. Watch the goals again and look at the positioning of McGivern. Hanlon was beaten to both headers - but he actually shouldnt be there in the first place...both crosses go to the back post and should either be intercepted by the keeper or headed clear by the LB. Thats what i keep getting. People see Hanlon beaten to a header and its all "He's poor, he's soft, he cannae win a header" Even for the 3rd goal Hanlon ends up playing LB coz McGivern is still in the oppo half.

Hanlon was caught out badly with the first goal and has regularly been outmuscled by average SPL attackers. He is a decent player however personally wouldn't put a penny on him playing for Scotland anytime soon as slow and not strong in saying that it is an area Scotland are incredibly weak in.

Brightside
28-05-2013, 03:32 PM
:faf: What difference does this make? Did make me chuckle liksey :greengrin

Its a team trying to play football and building from the back. Every player happy on the ball. Players given freedom of expression. Its the Hibs Way! Get with the programme daddyo.

The hoof ball is for the other side of toon!

SMAXXA
28-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Its a team trying to play football and building from the back. Every player happy on the ball. Players given freedom of expression. Its the Hibs Way! Get with the programme daddyo.

The hoof ball is for the other side of toon!

Maybe that's where we are going wrong, not enough Croyff's and keepie uppies during games :greengrin. Hes actually decent with the ball at his feet but he tends to punt the ball aimlessly forward too much for me surrendering possession back to the opponents, watch Sunday as an example.

FromTheCapital
28-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Been our best defender this season IMO. He wasn't great on Sunday but didn't have a shocker at all. Although, you would expect a little better from a lad who's got decent experience being the Scotland U21 captain (I think) and should've stepped up to the plate with our leader being out the team. Maybury did not stop a single cross from Stokes yesterday at all and his woefully embarrassing attempt at a clearance for the first goal was just a sum up of his day for me and I don't think his contract should be renewed. McGivern was okay but his distribution was pretty poor and I thought that Forster was probably our best defender and dealt with the occasion well. Williams should have done a lot better for the first goal but the cross from Stokes for the second goal is just fantastic and nothing he could do for Ledley's goal.

Brightside
28-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Maybe that's where we are going wrong, not enough Croyff's and keepie uppies during games :greengrin. Hes actually decent with the ball at his feet but he tends to punt the ball aimlessly forward too much for me surrendering possession back to the opponents, watch Sunday as an example.

He does have a left footed 40yd angled pass that he uses a bit too often... lovely when it comes off tho... :wink:

SMAXXA
28-05-2013, 03:49 PM
He does have a left footed 40yd angled pass that he uses a bit too often... lovely when it comes off tho... :wink:

He absolutely does and agree its good when it come off, just a shame we need to do this as we have some good players in the midfield who want the ball to feet and punting it forward misses them out and surrenders possession 9 times out of 10.

DH1875
28-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Both fullbacks were poor yesterday I thought. Hanlon is a decent pro. Maybe needs to toughen up a bit and be a bit more aggressive but with our budget who can we sign that realistically would do better?

:agree: McGivern was all over the place and played his part in costing us the first 2 goals.

Heisenberg
28-05-2013, 06:03 PM
:agree: McGivern was all over the place and played his part in costing us the first 2 goals.

I thought that too and whilst he played his part in the goals he was left with two men on every occasion. He didnt have anyone helping him whatsoever till Pat decided to actually play a left midfielder.

Jonnyboy
28-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Hanlon was caught out badly with the first goal and has regularly been outmuscled by average SPL attackers. He is a decent player however personally wouldn't put a penny on him playing for Scotland anytime soon as slow and not strong in saying that it is an area Scotland are incredibly weak in.

I think what really caught him out was the keeper failing to easily collect a ball well within his reach

blackpoolhibs
28-05-2013, 07:52 PM
I think what really caught him out was the keeper failing to easily collect a ball well within his reach

While i partly agree with that, Hanlon should have followed Hooper and blocked his path to any ball thats played into the box. He should have followed the path of the ball and made sure he'd get to it before Hooper if the keeper misses it. Hanlon switched off, Hooper didn't. :boo hoo:

JimBHibees
28-05-2013, 07:55 PM
While i partly agree with that, Hanlon should have followed Hooper and blocked his path to any ball thats played into the box. He should have followed the path of the ball and made sure he'd get to it before Hooper if the keeper misses it. Hanlon switched off, Hooper didn't. :boo hoo:

Totally agree Williams should have dealt with even to get a punch on it however to me PH was sleeping.

Jonnyboy
28-05-2013, 07:59 PM

Totally agree Williams should have dealt with even to get a punch on it however to me PH was sleeping.

Agree with you both but if nothing else it illustrates that Hanlon was not alone in blame as some on here have chosen to believe :wink:

SMAXXA
28-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Agree with you both but if nothing else it illustrates that Hanlon was not alone in blame as some on here have chosen to believe :wink:

Absolutely not Jonnyboy it was a catalogue of errors from Maybury, Williams, Hanlon and McGivern

One Day Soon
28-05-2013, 08:02 PM

No Jonny, he is the spawn of the Devil and must be eliminated. :rolleyes:

Jonnyboy
28-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Absolutely not Jonnyboy it was a catalogue of errors from Maybury, Williams, Hanlon and McGivern

:agree: to you both :greengrin

SMAXXA
28-05-2013, 08:05 PM

:faf:

One Day Soon
28-05-2013, 08:08 PM

Spot and on. I actually think McPake's injury has been a weakness that has dogged his game all season and has meant that Hanlon has spent quite a lot of time either covering the consequences of that or having his game affected by not being able to concentrate on his own role.

blackpoolhibs
28-05-2013, 08:10 PM

I agree, Maybury should have put the ball out for a corner, Williams should have come for the ball and caught the bloody thing, :rolleyes: and Hanlon should have been switched on enough to follow and block Hooper.

I keep hearing how Williams is this great new keeper, the best since Leighton. He was absolutely awful at times during our good run at the start of the season, he cost us quite a few goals but they all seemed to be forgotten because we were winning.

He did seem to get better funnily enough when the rest of the team struggled, but the mistakes and him making superman impressions also returned towards the end of the season.

I'm far from convinced about him.

SMAXXA
28-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Spot and on. I actually think McPake's injury has been a weakness that has dogged his game all season and has meant that Hanlon has spent quite a lot of time either covering the consequences of that or having his game affected by not being able to concentrate on his own role.

Easy cop out to blame JMcPs injury no? I wish people would just take responsibility for their own performances, yes McPake wasn't as good as he was last season, but I don't think he was really as bad as people are saying that had so much of an impact on Hanlon's game. Look at Boyds goal against us for Kili, Hanlons went up and totally missed the header then McPake's made an erse of the second part of it. Look at when Lyle Taylor was clean through against us in the semi to make it 4, Hanlon caught flat footed and nowt to do with McPake. They have both been poor in their own right and agree Hanlon has been the lesser of the 2 evils, lets see what next season brings and to be fair Jordan has looked the better of the CH's when he's came in alongside Hanlon IMO.

SMAXXA
28-05-2013, 08:18 PM
I agree, Maybury should have put the ball out for a corner, Williams should have come for the ball and caught the bloody thing, :rolleyes: and Hanlon should have been switched on enough to follow and block Hooper.

I keep hearing how Williams is this great new keeper, the best since Leighton. He was absolutely awful at times during our good run at the start of the season, he cost us quite a few goals but they all seemed to be forgotten because we were winning.

He did seem to get better funnily enough when the rest of the team struggled, but the mistakes and him making superman impressions also returned towards the end of the season.

I'm far from convinced about him.

Good keeper, suspect with crosses at the start of the season, rid himself of this for most part of the middle of the season and these returned at the back end of the season. Needs to sort this side of his game out as its costing us and will continue to do so unless addressed.

One Day Soon
28-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Easy cop out to blame JMcPs injury no? I wish people would just take responsibility for their own performances, yes McPake wasn't as good as he was last season, but I don't think he was really as bad as people are saying that had so much of an impact on Hanlon's game. Look at Boyds goal against us for Kili, Hanlons went up and totally missed the header then McPake's made an erse of the second part of it. Look at when Lyle Taylor was clean through against us in the semi to make it 4, Hanlon caught flat footed and nowt to do with McPake. They have both been poor in their own right and agree Hanlon has been the lesser of the 2 evils, lets see what next season brings and to be fair Jordan has looked the better of the CH's when he's came in alongside Hanlon IMO.

I think Hanlon is still improving and has to improve to be the player we need. But that isn't easy when the CB pairing you are part of has two weaknesses - one player trying to settle into making the position his own and the other playing to the best that his back will allow but clearly being impaired by that.

Overall next year we may finally get a solid pairing and really good back up too now that Forster has broken through and McGivern seems to have signed on for two years.

Let Williams get back to keeping though. Goalkeeper as captain isn't right. Should have KT on Sunday.

blackpoolhibs
28-05-2013, 08:37 PM
I think Hanlon is still improving and has to improve to be the player we need. But that isn't easy when the CB pairing you are part of has two weaknesses - one player trying to settle into making the position his own and the other playing to the best that his back will allow but clearly being impaired by that.

Overall next year we may finally get a solid pairing and really good back up too now that Forster has broken through and McGivern seems to have signed on for two years.

Let Williams get back to keeping though. Goalkeeper as captain isn't right. Should have KT on Sunday.

I disagree about KT as captain, he in my opinion should NEVER captain Hibs ever again.

SMAXXA
28-05-2013, 08:47 PM
I disagree about KT as captain, he in my opinion should NEVER captain Hibs ever again.

Why?

blackpoolhibs
28-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Why?

Because of the way he treated it the last time he was captain.

SMAXXA
28-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Because of the way he treated it the last time he was captain.

To be honest that's done and dusted for me (know not for everyone) but if he displays the leadership qualities that brings the best out in others and players look up to him (which I know a lot of them do) I couldn't care less about the past.

One Day Soon
28-05-2013, 08:50 PM

We've been here before. I'll take an experienced, committed, influential player as captain any game. Regardless of whether he went off to Rangers, Satan's 1st 11 or a world select of international Bond villains. Once they are in a Hibs jersey and playing for it that's good enough for me.

What's more he looked like he wanted it and was fighting for it more than just about any other Hibs player on the pitch.

blackpoolhibs
28-05-2013, 08:54 PM
We've been here before. I'll take an experienced, committed, influential player as captain any game. Regardless of whether he went off to Rangers, Satan's 1st 11 or a world select of international Bond villains. Once they are in a Hibs jersey and playing for it that's good enough for me.

What's more he looked like he wanted it and was fighting for it more than just about any other Hibs player on the pitch.

I must have watched a different game on Sunday, in my opinion he was slow and lazy. He made McGivern look stupid at times having to mark 2 men half the time. Now i agree he's not a wide left midfielder, but he was poor on Sunday.

FWIW him signing for Rangers has nothing to do with why i dont want him anywhere near the captaincy, it was the way he treated the club and its support while captain of us.

SMAXXA
28-05-2013, 08:56 PM
I must have watched a different game on Sunday, in my opinion he was slow and lazy. He made McGivern look stupid at times having to mark 2 men half the time. Now i agree he's not a wide left midfielder, but he was poor on Sunday.

FWIW him signing for Rangers has nothing to do with why i dont want him anywhere near the captaincy, it was the way he treated the club and its support while captain of us.

Be the bigger man forgive and forget :greengrin. Agree with your comments about Sunday he didn't play that well, don't think it was through a lack of effort though. Another one that was struggling and want at full fitness.

blackpoolhibs
28-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Be the bigger man forgive and forget :greengrin. Agree with your comments about Sunday he didn't play that well, don't think it was through a lack of effort though. Another one that was struggling and want at full fitness.

No, that kind of thing should never be forgotten in my opinion. I accepted him back, to be honest i have no option on that :greengrin but the captaincy should be an honour, and treated with respect.

You'd never hear any of the bigot brothers talking like he did, and dare i say it even from a gimps captain over the other side of the city.

The Toun Hibee
28-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Hanlon's had his chance, you need to see players improving each season but he's not so its time to pick someone else. Forster's done enough for me to let him start with McPake next season. He's still young so wont be able to every game but maybe the competition will put pressure on Hanlon causing him to up his game. Don't think we need to go out and buy someone. There's plenty of other positions to focus on.

blackpoolhibs
28-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Hanlon's had his chance, you need to see players improving each season but he's not so its time to pick someone else. Forster's done enough for me to let him start with McPake next season. He's still young so wont be able to every game but maybe the competition will put pressure on Hanlon causing him to up his game. Don't think we need to go out and buy someone. There's plenty of other positions to focus on.

Hanlon has improved this season. :confused:

The Toun Hibee
28-05-2013, 09:06 PM

If you use last season as the baseline then everyone has improved I suppose. However has he really progressed enough?

One Day Soon
28-05-2013, 09:06 PM

There's more joy in heaven over a repentant sinner...

SMAXXA
28-05-2013, 09:07 PM

I agree he has improved aswell but just not enough for me.

SMAXXA
28-05-2013, 09:10 PM
No, that kind of thing should never be forgotten in my opinion. I accepted him back, to be honest i have no option on that :greengrin but the captaincy should be an honour, and treated with respect.

You'd never hear any of the bigot brothers talking like he did, and dare i say it even from a gimps captain over the other side of the city.

I guess that's progress, this time next year if he is here he will be your favourite player and captain fantastic looking at where your views of him were pre coming back to Hibs :greengrin

Brightside
29-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Imagine if Hanlon was called up for Scotland in the next few days. :cb

SmallvilleHibee
29-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Paul has been pretty inconsistent this season and his communication seems to be awful, would rather have Mcpake and Forster at CB than him.

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Paul has been pretty inconsistent this season and his communication seems to be awful, would rather have Mcpake and Forster at CB than him.

Hanlon has been the steadiest of all the players who have played centre half this season. We need to replace others, before looking at his place in the team.

SmallvilleHibee
29-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Hanlon has been the steadiest of all the players who have played centre half this season. We need to replace others, before looking at his place in the team.

How? he's done nothing all season.

Saorsa
29-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Paul has been pretty inconsistent this season and his communication seems to be awful, would rather have Mcpake and Forster at CB than him.:hilarious

Your eyes must be ****in' painted on or do you wear a pair of these.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/4290699645_3c5468e465.jpg

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2013, 06:19 PM

Stop it ffs, just stop it. :faf:

SmallvilleHibee
29-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Stop it ffs, just stop it. :faf:

Tell me one thing he has done this entire season

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2013, 06:34 PM

He's been the best and most consistent central defender over the course of the season. I think that should cover all i need to say.

Vault Boy
29-05-2013, 06:35 PM

He got an assist for the goal that gave us our win against Celtic. That's not even his job.

Jonnyboy
29-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Obviously the X-Ray vision ain't working :wink:

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Obviously the X-Ray vision ain't working :wink:

:faf::faf: :top marks

silverhibee
29-05-2013, 06:56 PM

Really.?

silverhibee
29-05-2013, 06:57 PM

Really. ?

silverhibee
29-05-2013, 06:59 PM

Passed the ball.

Green Cabbage 7
29-05-2013, 08:24 PM

:agree: To soft and hesitant to be at the heart of a defence

SMAXXA
29-05-2013, 09:10 PM

I think someone said he done a Croyff turn in the final which should cover it :greengrin

J-C
29-05-2013, 09:15 PM

You have to be at the wind up, Pauls no world beater but he has been pretty decent this season.

silverhibee
30-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Hope Hibs have this lad signed up on a long term contract, had his best season in a Hibs jersey in 2012/13, best defender by a mile this season just been simply outstanding this season, continuously picked for the Scotland Under 21s team and plays most games for them and doesn't let his country down when playing.

A good pro and a good lad to have around the club and hope he stays at Hibs for a good time to come, one of the first names on the team sheet foe Hibs surely. :agree:

If he can keep improving the way he is then in another couple of seasons and i can see get him getting a move down South, was it not rumoured that Fulham were looking at him last season or one before it.

Thoughts.?

Just_Jimmy
30-05-2013, 10:03 PM
I agree that he's been our best defender and in some games had looked excellent however i wish he'd dominate players in 50/50 headers more. For me he gets beaten too easy in the air.

Saying that if he continues to improve as he has done he'll be solid for a year or two yet.

FranckSuzy
30-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Hope Hibs have this lad signed up on a long term contract, had his best season in a Hibs jersey in 2012/13, best defender by a mile this season just been simply outstanding this season, continuously picked for the Scotland Under 21s team and plays most games for them and doesn't let his country down when playing.

A good pro and a good lad to have around the club and hope he stays at Hibs for a good time to come, one of the first names on the team sheet foe Hibs surely. :agree:

If he can keep improving the way he is then in another couple of seasons and i can see get him getting a move down South, was it not rumoured that Fulham were looking at him last season or one before it.

Thoughts.?

A fact conveniently forgotten about when the Hanlon bashers start...

silverhibee
30-05-2013, 10:17 PM

Very true, but seemingly the PH bashers know better. :agree:

So far mind you there has been know bashing on this thread so far. :agree:

FranckSuzy
30-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Very true, but seemingly the PH bashers know better. :agree:

So far mind you there has been know bashing on this thread so far. :agree:

True :aok:

cabbageandribs1875
30-05-2013, 10:28 PM
i'm sure he still has another two and a half to three years at least, was he not given a mega 4 year contract 18months+ back

Saorsa
30-05-2013, 10:31 PM
i'm sure he still has another two and a half to three years at least, was he not given a mega 4 year contract 18months+ backextension was signed in 2011 taking him tae 2016

Teapot
30-05-2013, 10:32 PM
I rate Paul but feel he's a bit of a confidence player. When the crowd get on his back a bit he rarely plays well. The arrival of McPake seemed helped boost his confidence last season.

Paddy seems to be able to get the best out of players, so in a few seasons there's no reason to suggest he cant become the next big name for us.

hibs4thecup1988
30-05-2013, 10:33 PM
extension was signed in 2001 taking him tae 2016

Was that just after he played in the SCF against Celtc? :wink::greengrin

Vault Boy
i'm sure he still has another two and a half to three years at least, was he not given a mega 4 year contract 18months+ back

:agree: May 2011 - 2016.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12875_6916212,00.html

hibs4thecup1988
extension was signed in 2011 taking him tae 2016

Ooooft quick edit :tee hee:

Saorsa
Was that just after he played in the SCF against Celtc? :wink::greengrinedited :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
30-05-2013, 10:39 PM
I think he's a bit soft. Can that be taught?

cabbageandribs1875
30-05-2013, 10:40 PM

:agree: May 2011 - 2016.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12875_6916212,00.html

my memory aint as bad as i thought it was after all :greengrin

one area he's improved on this season(imo) is by attacking the ball a lot more often, and not letting it bounce in front of him first(thus putting himself under a lot of pressure), i was critical of him last season for that :agree:

Bobby's Cinema
30-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Of no relevance to his performance in a Hibs jersey though is it. "He must be doin something right"

Vault Boy
30-05-2013, 10:49 PM
my memory aint as bad as i thought it was after all :greengrin

one area he's improved on this season(imo) is by attacking the ball a lot more often, and not letting it bounce in front of him first(thus putting himself under a lot of pressure), i was critical of him last season for that :agree:

:agree: Distribution also improving IMO, some of his longer passes to the flanks have been very good this season, he just needs to work on how often he should be playing them.

FranckSuzy
30-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Of no relevance to his performance in a Hibs jersey though is it. "He must be doin something right"

I would say it has plenty to do with his performances in a Hibs jersey, ie he can't be as pash as some people make out when he is being consistently selected to represent his country :aok:

silverhibee
30-05-2013, 10:52 PM

Good to hear.

Obviously the manager/coaching staff believe in him as well. :agree:

Nice we avatar/sig of PH DD. :thumbsup:

silverhibee
30-05-2013, 11:00 PM
I think he's a bit soft. Can that be taught?

What, being soft.

Bobby's Cinema
30-05-2013, 11:02 PM
I would say it has plenty to do with his performances in a Hibs jersey, ie he can't be as pash as some people make out when he is being consistently selected to represent his country :aok:
That's exactly the point I disagree with. This should not influence someone's opinion of his performances as a Hibs player

the stig
30-05-2013, 11:06 PM
one thing I think many people forget about him (or the people around me at ER) is that he is still pretty young at the age of 23. He will still make mistakes and hopefully will learn from them. I personally rate him quite highly as I think he has been one of our better and most consistent performers of the past two seasons.

Saorsa
30-05-2013, 11:11 PM
That's exactly the point I disagree with. This should not influence someone's opinion of his performances as a Hibs playereh! It's his performances as a Hibs player that got him picked for Scotland, no the other way around. His performances as a Hibs player obviously impressed and informed the opinion of the Scotland U21 manger enough tae pick him and make him captain. Not forgetting he also played for and captained Scotland U19's. If his performances as a Hibs player where as bad as some of the guff posted on here that wouldnae have happened.

FranckSuzy
30-05-2013, 11:13 PM
That's exactly the point I disagree with. This should not influence someone's opinion of his performances as a Hibs player

I get that but in another way, it also shows that some people have made their mind up about him and no matter what evidence there is to the contrary, they will still slag him off. He was excellent v Dundee for example but there were no threads IIRC congratulating him.

silverhibee
30-05-2013, 11:21 PM
one thing I think many people forget about him (or the people around me at ER) is that he is still pretty young at the age of 23. He will still make mistakes and hopefully will learn from them. I personally rate him quite highly as I think he has been one of our better and most consistent performers of the past two seasons.

But got to say he is making a lot less mistakes as he improves over the seasons. :agree: :aok:

So seems he is learning.

Bobby's Cinema
30-05-2013, 11:45 PM
eh! It's his performances as a Hibs player that got him picked for Scotland, no the other way around. His performances as a Hibs player obviously impressed and informed the opinion of the Scotland U21 manger enough tae pick him and make him captain. Not forgetting he also played for and captained Scotland U19's. If his performances as a Hibs player where as bad as some of the guff posted on here that wouldnae have happened.
Again, this is what I disagree with. People like to use his international callups to defend his actions on the park ie "he cannae be that bad if he's U21 captain" etc, when this matters not a jot when he's playing for Hibs

Saorsa
30-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Again, this is what I disagree with. People like to use his international callups to defend his actions on the park ie "he cannae be that bad if he's U21 captain" etc, when this matters not a jot when he's playing for HibsJeezo, he wouldnae get picked for Scotland if he was that bad for Hibs. What dae you think international mangers watch before they pick their team, a players club performances maybe? Or dae you think the names are picked out a hat? How the **** dae you think the two are separate? If his performances for Hibs were that gash, he wouldnae be getting picked for Scotland.

Bobby's Cinema
31-05-2013, 12:01 AM
I've not said his performances have been gash. At the risk of repeating myself, his international callups shouldn't influence opinions on his Hibs performances. With some people it does. "He cannae be that bad if hes playing for Scotland." IMO there's an element of consistency of selection with his callups more than anything. If he hadn't received an international callup before this season, would he deserve to get one now because of his good form over this season? One to ponder

FranckSuzy
31-05-2013, 12:05 AM
I've not said his performances have been gash. At the risk of repeating myself, his international callups shouldn't influence opinions on his Hibs performances. With some people it does. "He cannae be that bad if hes playing for Scotland." IMO there's an element of consistency of selection with his callups more than anything. If he hadn't received an international callup before this season, would he deserve to get one now because of his good form over this season? One to ponder

Well, I'm going to repeat something. Why is he being called up? Because of his consistent Hibs form. How else would they decide to select him? They're not going to watch youtube clips from yesteryear or pick a player who hasn't played/consistently gash, are they? :confused:

Danderhall Hibs
31-05-2013, 07:11 AM
What, being soft.

Can being tougher be taught?

I think he'd maybe do ok in a back 3 as a "sweeper" where he can.pick the ball up and play it into midfield. Or even as an emergency defensive midfielder.

Danderhall Hibs
31-05-2013, 07:13 AM

"only 23" ? - He must've played close to 150 1st team games now - he's got experience behind him, age can no longer be used as an excuse IMO.

pontius pilate
31-05-2013, 07:16 AM
I think that when he gets a settled partner beside him in the coming season we will see the best out of both Paul and Ryan and more than likely jordon.

blackpoolhibs
31-05-2013, 08:14 AM
While i am pleased his form seems to have levelled out and he's now giving a more consistently good performance for us. He flits from a solid 7 to a very good 8 most weeks imo.

He's improved his distribution and control of the ball, and is looking for a pass these days under pressure.

Where he is not so good again in my opinion is when playing up against players like Higdon, who is a decent centre forward, in fact a good one in the SPL. He uses his height and strength well, and Hanlon and to be fair McPake struggled against him. He also struggles against small nippy players like he did on Sunday, and switches off to much also

I do laugh though about him playing in the premiership in England, I thought the very same thing about Riordan. Although they both have different positions, both do not have the physical presence or pace to play in the EPL in my opinion.

Hanlon is 23 now, and i'd be happy for him to play for us for many years, unless we could get a better player of course.

If an English premiership club took a chance on him, which i doubt will happen. I predict he'd be back up the road within 12 months looking for a 1st team game back where he'd be good enough to get a regular game.

Hanlon is a good solid Pro, and a good solid Scottish SPL player.

SMAXXA
31-05-2013, 08:59 AM
I think I have made my feelings clear on what I think of PH as a player so not going to say anymore. One thing I would say is that its the end of the season, he will start a fresh next year and will get a clean slate from me. I believe he has improved this year and hope he will make even more improvement next year. Lets wait and see and give him the benefit of the doubt for next year and hope he can change opinions, mines including. :scarf:

Bobby's Cinema
31-05-2013, 09:25 AM
I think I have made my feelings clear on what I think of PH as a player so not going to say anymore. One thing I would say is that its the end of the season, he will start a fresh next year and will get a clean slate from me. I believe he has improved this year and hope he will make even more improvement next year. Lets wait and see and give him the benefit of the doubt for next year and hope he can change opinions, mines including. :scarf:
Agreed

Scottie
31-05-2013, 09:34 AM

But got to say he is making a lot less mistakes as he improves over the seasons. :agree: :aok:

So seems he is learning.

I'm sorry but imho last Sunday proves he's NO learning .His tactical awareness of strickers movement around him is still very poor.
Like people have already said he's 23 now and shouldn't be getting caught out as often as he is especially under a crossed ball.

Desperate for the club to sign a experienced rugged no nonsense centre half to shore the defence up as i dont think McPake and Hanlon are the answer for next season.

ahibby
31-05-2013, 09:40 AM

One reason is that Ben Williams comes off his line when he shouldn't. On another matter, the first goal was down to him imo, if he had stayed on his line at his near post he would have saved the side foot from Hooper. Everyone knows that if a winger places a ball well in a cross that defenders are only second favourites to stop it reaching the forward, it should reach the forward everytime and that's why sensible positioning from goalkeepers is all important. Another observation would be why so many set pieces against us, what's the midfield up to? Hibs have been poor with dealing with crosses in to the box whether set pieces or crosses in play. The best rectification our coaching staff can take is coach them to prevent crosses being made in the first place. Allan Maybury didn't cut the crosses out on the left but he was inside helping Forster who lacks experience but looks a prospect to me.

Brightside
31-05-2013, 09:42 AM
I'm sorry but imho last Sunday proves he's NO learning .His tactical awareness of strickers movement around him is still very poor.
Like people have already said he's 23 now and shouldn't be getting caught out as often as he is especially under a crossed ball.

Desperate for the club to sign a experienced rugged no nonsense centre half to shore the defence up as i dont think McPake and Hanlon are the answer for next season.

Get yer erse on a coaching course as you have no idea about how a defensive system is supposed to work. For that last time Hanlon was not to blame for either of the first two goals....he tried to sort other people failings as he has done almost all year..... Im done with this. I actually hope Paul gets himself to a team were supporters actually respect what they have.

SMAXXA
31-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Get yer erse on a coaching course as you have no idea about how a defensive system is supposed to work. For that last time Hanlon was not to blame for either of the first two goals....he tried to sort other people failings as he has done almost all year..... Im done with this. I actually hope Paul gets himself to a team were supporters actually respect what they have.

No another have you ever played football shout / you know nothing about coaching shout, getting ever frequent on here these days, have we suddenly got a group of UEFA pro licensed fans on .net these days :wink:

Teapot
31-05-2013, 09:52 AM
"only 23" ? - He must've played close to 150 1st team games now - he's got experience behind him, age can no longer be used as an excuse IMO.

In how many of those games did he play with a good solid centre half that would have helped him develop? Over the past 4 years we have had defenders such as Stephens, O'Hanlon, Hogg and McCormack. He has never had a good settled partner or a good steady goalie until this season. I actually think he's done well considering the dross he's played with.

I think since Paddys come in Hanlons improved, granted his form dipped when he picked up that injury this season but give him another year and i think he'll become more and more consistent.

Scottie
31-05-2013, 09:54 AM

Your easily please ma friend,
He's tactically unaware.Yes he's a trier and i appreciate he's still got much to learn.We all have different opinions and our's vary.

By the way who do you think he good enough to play for then ? (EPL-SPL-SFL ? ) :cb

Brightside
31-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Your easily please ma friend,
He's tactically unaware.Yes he's a trier and i appreciate he's still got much to learn.We all have different opinions and our's vary.

By the way who do you think he good enough to play for then ? (EPL-SPL-SFL ? ) :cb

I'm done with this. Love Hibs but a lot of the fans have nae idea about football and im bored pointing out the basics!

SMAXXA
31-05-2013, 10:01 AM
I'm done with this. Love Hibs but a lot of the fans have nae idea about football and im bored pointing out the basics!

:faf::faf: Nae bother Sir Alex :greengrin

Smiggy 7-0
31-05-2013, 10:02 AM

Hanlon caught out far too often as is McPake.

Thought O'Hanlon was supposed to be "Rugged and no nonsense" look how he turned out.

Scottie
31-05-2013, 10:03 AM

No another have you ever played football shout / you know nothing about coaching shout, getting ever frequent on here these days, have we suddenly got a group of UEFA pro licensed fans on .net these days :wink:

Though i was talking to Sir Alec there :wink: Get yourself doon to East Main's as your club need you next year to take over frae Pat and the boys. :aok:

Brightside
31-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Good son.

blackpoolhibs
31-05-2013, 10:06 AM

Complete bollox, he could have done a lot better at the first goal. He switched off allowing Hooper to pass the ball into an empty net when if he'd only followed him and blocked his path he'd have put the ball out for a corner himself.

Maybury should have done this first of course, but he didn't, he should then have tried to make him cross the ball on his weak side his left, but he didn't.

Williams should have either come and collected the cross, or stayed on his line, but he didn't. The goal was a whole lot of mistakes by 3 players, but stupid mistakes and the reasons none of them will play a much better standard than where they are now.

SMAXXA
31-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Complete bollox, he could have done a lot better at the first goal. He switched off allowing Hooper to pass the ball into an empty net when if he'd only followed him and blocked his path he'd have put the ball out for a corner himself.

Maybury should have done this first of course, but he didn't, he should then have tried to make him cross the ball on his weak side his left, but he didn't.

Williams should have either come and collected the cross, or stayed on his line, but he didn't. The goal was a whole lot of mistakes by 3 players, but stupid mistakes and the reasons none of them will play a much better standard than where they are now.

Id say 4 players BH, including McGivern in this

Brightside
31-05-2013, 10:08 AM

Both goals from back post. It wisnae Hanlon that got the roasting at half time.

Scottie
31-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Hanlon caught out far too often as is McPake.

Thought O'Hanlon was supposed to be "Rugged and no nonsense" look how he turned out.

Who said O'Hanlon was "rugged and no nonsense" he was signed by COCO after all.

Nuff said :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
31-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Id say 4 players BH, including McGivern in this

I'm not sure why McGivern should be blamed for Hanlons man scoring the 1st goal.:rolleyes:

SMAXXA
31-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Both goals from back post. It wisnae Hanlon that got the roasting at half time.

Who did get the roasting Pat? :greengrin

silverhibee
31-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Can being tougher be taught?

I think he'd maybe do ok in a back 3 as a "sweeper" where he can.pick the ball up and play it into midfield. Or even as an emergency defensive midfielder.

Yes, i am pretty sure it can be taught.

Brightside
31-05-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure why McGivern should be blamed for Hanlons man scoring the 1st goal.:rolleyes:

really? :confused: How can back post from a left cross be a centre half issue?

SMAXXA
31-05-2013, 10:12 AM

Felt he was ball watching a bit mate and should have got tighter to Hooper when he seen him pull off Hanlon? Collective nightmare either way, also have a look at the highlights and look at the 3rd goal, look at McGivern just sauntering back into the box, he should be busting a gut IMO.

blackpoolhibs
31-05-2013, 10:15 AM
really? :confused: How can back post from a left cross be a centre half issue?

Are you saying Hanlon should not mark his man and pass him over because the ball is at the back post? Stop slavering man, he was accountable just as others were for that 1st goal. :rolleyes:

Brightside
31-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Are you saying Hanlon should not mark his man and pass him over because the ball is at the back post? Stop slavering man, he was accountable just as others were for that 1st goal. :rolleyes:

McGivern 100%:greengrin.... anyway.. Paul going to get called up for Scotland...get yer hand in yer wallet

Treadstone
31-05-2013, 10:23 AM
really? :confused: How can back post from a left cross be a centre half issue?[/QUOTE]

How can it not ? Ideally you'd like your full back to deal withe issue but centre halves should be anticipating danger especially when the scorer is the centre forward and not a winger. Hanlon has been our best defender this season but his ball watching holds him back from going further in the game.

blackpoolhibs
31-05-2013, 10:23 AM
[QUOTE=blackpoolhibs;3628193]

McGivern 100%:greengrin.... anyway.. Paul going to get called up for Scotland...get yer hand in yer wallet

I have just watched it again, and McGivern has nothing whatsoever to do with that goal, apart from being exposed again by thomson in the run up. Anyone who blames McGivern in this needs to get their arse to a coaching session.

Brightside
31-05-2013, 10:24 AM
[QUOTE=underscore;3628198]

I have just watched it again, and McGivern has nothing whatsoever to do with that goal, apart from being exposed again by thomson in the run up. Anyone who blames McGivern in this needs to get their arse to a coaching session.

Ive asked Sir Alex and he says yer a cock! ;-)

SMAXXA
31-05-2013, 10:26 AM

Just watched the highlights again (for the 5th time) and PH was 100% guilty of ball watching for the first 2 goals, I am convinced of this. Even the 2nd he has a quick look at Hooper then watches the ball and Hooper is in behind him with PH in no mans land. Great delivery for both goals though that has to be said.

silverhibee
31-05-2013, 10:26 AM

And how many pro footballers/coaches/managers are there here on .net, seems hundreds who all no better than the players/manager/coaching staff, when in reality they don't know very much but think they do.

blackpoolhibs
31-05-2013, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=blackpoolhibs;3628203]

Ive asked Sir Alex and he says yer a cock! ;-)

Aye but a cock with a £100 coming his way. :aok:

Stevie Reid
31-05-2013, 10:27 AM

Now that I can agree with, Gary :aok:

silverhibee
31-05-2013, 10:30 AM
:faf::faf: Nae bother Sir Alex :greengrin

Nae need Pep. :wink: :greengrin

R'Albin
31-05-2013, 10:33 AM
While i am pleased his form seems to have levelled out and he's now giving a more consistently good performance for us. He flits from a solid 7 to a very good 8 most weeks imo.

He's improved his distribution and control of the ball, and is looking for a pass these days under pressure.

Where he is not so good again in my opinion is when playing up against players like Higdon, who is a decent centre forward, in fact a good one in the SPL. He uses his height and strength well, and Hanlon and to be fair McPake struggled against him. He also struggles against small nippy players like he did on Sunday, and switches off to much also

I do laugh though about him playing in the premiership in England, I thought the very same thing about Riordan. Although they both have different positions, both do not have the physical presence or pace to play in the EPL in my opinion.

Hanlon is 23 now, and i'd be happy for him to play for us for many years, unless we could get a better player of course.

If an English premiership club took a chance on him, which i doubt will happen. I predict he'd be back up the road within 12 months looking for a 1st team game back where he'd be good enough to get a regular game.

Hanlon is a good solid Pro, and a good solid Scottish SPL player.

Completely agree :agree:

GraniteCityHibs
31-05-2013, 10:47 AM
I think we need to get away from talking about individual goals. Although imo 5 players were culpable for that goal.

Thomson
Maybury
Williams
Hanlon
McGivern

That's football folks.

Lets not forget that Hanlon was excellent for some of this season and spent large chunks of it bailing out Mcpake and our full backs.

blackpoolhibs
31-05-2013, 10:49 AM
I think we need to get away from talking about individual goals. Although imo 5 players were culpable for that goal.

Thomson
Maybury
Williams
Hanlon
McGivern

That's football folks.

Lets not forget that Hanlon was excellent for some of this season and spent large chunks of it bailing out Mcpake and our full backs.

Stevie Reid
31-05-2013, 10:52 AM

Thomson
Maybury
Williams
Hanlon
McGivern

That's football folks.

Hanlon was our best defender this season, IMO.

GraniteCityHibs
31-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Hanlon was our best defender this season, IMO.

Agree.

Mcpake (apparently due to injury) struggled and huffed and puffed but looked a shadow of his former self.

Clancy/Maybury/McGivern all prone to big lapses in concentration which more often than not Hanlon had to sweep across to sort.

On the occasions that he cant sort it out, hes left out of position and takes pelters for it. Sunday's first goals main culprit was Maybury.

GraniteCityHibs
31-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Should probably qualify that and say that I dont mind Maybury as I think he gets a harder time than most at times.

Solid player, good attitude, Prone to lapses

Spike Mandela
31-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Should probably qualify that and say that I dont mind Maybury as I think he gets a harder time than most at times.

Solid player, good attitude, Prone to lapses

All ifs and buts, but if Maybury kiicks ball out of park instead of sclaffing it then cross doesn't come in. If goalie, Hanlon or McGivern take charge of the cross coming in Hooper doesn't get on end of it. Soft, soft goal to lose.

blackpoolhibs
31-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Agree.

Mcpake (apparently due to injury) struggled and huffed and puffed but looked a shadow of his former self.

Clancy/Maybury/McGivern all prone to big lapses in concentration which more often than not Hanlon had to sweep across to sort.

On the occasions that he cant sort it out, hes left out of position and takes pelters for it. Sunday's first goals main culprit was Maybury.

Not really, although he takes his share of the blame. Stokes did not tap the ball into an empty net. :confused:

Treadstone
31-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Not really, although he takes his share of the blame. Stokes did not tap the ball into an empty net. :confused:

That is 100% correct. Stokes did not tap the ball into an empty net.:wink:

hibsbollah
31-05-2013, 11:44 AM
I also think Hanlons had a good season and has been the pick of our defenders. I've never been on a coaching course, mind you:wink:

blackpoolhibs
31-05-2013, 11:44 AM
That is 100% correct. Stokes did not tap the ball into an empty net.:wink:

Exactly, Hooper did. :wink:

Treadstone
31-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Exactly, Hooper did. :wink:

BH. You could have went the Peter Houston route and said "Stoker and Hoops".

GraniteCityHibs
31-05-2013, 12:01 PM

Maybury had two chances.

Clear an easy ball which he air swiped. Once he's failed he has to burst his hoop and make it out to Stokes and nake it as hard as possible fir him to cross it.

He did none of the above.

Brightside
31-05-2013, 12:11 PM
I also think Hanlons had a good season and has been the pick of our defenders. I've never been on a coaching course, mind you:wink:

So can you please not comment. Thanks. :na na:

blackpoolhibs
31-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Maybury had two chances.

Clear an easy ball which he air swiped. Once he's failed he has to burst his hoop and make it out to Stokes and nake it as hard as possible fir him to cross it.

He did none of the above.

I agree, he then let Stokes cross the ball to a player who was unmarked by his marker Hanlon, who'd switched off/fell asleep/given up, take your pick? :rolleyes:

Brightside
31-05-2013, 12:45 PM
I agree, he then let Stokes cross the ball to a player who was unmarked by his marker Hanlon, who'd switched off/fell asleep/given up, take your pick? :rolleyes:
I'm hearing McPake may be done and will be offered a coaching role?

Scottie
31-05-2013, 12:59 PM
I'm hearing McPake may be done and will be offered a coaching role?

Where u heard that from ?

GraniteCityHibs
31-05-2013, 01:27 PM

Ok, I take your point they all had part in it!

Back to the original point...Hanlon is probably our best defender. agreed? Good.

Any news on Maybury getting an extension?

Brightside
31-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Ok, I take your point they all had part in it!

Back to the original point...Hanlon is probably our best defender. agreed? Good.

Any news on Maybury getting an extension?

Maybury staying - one more year and will continue to work with the nippers.

SMAXXA
31-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Maybury staying - one more year and will continue to work with the nippers.

No hes no :na na:

Brightside
31-05-2013, 02:29 PM
haha - AYE HE IS... :thumbsup: