PDA

View Full Version : What today showed

andrew_dundee
26-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Last year I was gutted because we had been humilated by our Edinburgh rivals, but this year I don't feel like that. This year showed why the SPL is such a poor league. We were beaten by a Celtic team with more fans and more money. Hooper and Stokes probably make more money than our whole first team put together, and that's why they won. In some ways it would be crap being a Celtic fan because so much of the emotion of football is about the agony and the ecstacy, and there's no achievement for the top team in the league beating the 7th best team. Our fans and our team should be very proud, we did as well as we could but we were outclassed by an opposition that can outplay us, outspend us and bring in a better quality of player than we can.

Onion
27-05-2013, 07:27 AM
Last year I was gutted because we had been humilated by our Edinburgh rivals, but this year I don't feel like that. This year showed why the SPL is such a poor league. We were beaten by a Celtic team with more fans and more money. Hooper and Stokes probably make more money than our whole first team put together, and that's why they won. In some ways it would be crap being a Celtic fan because so much of the emotion of football is about the agony and the ecstacy, and there's no achievement for the top team in the league beating the 7th best team. Our fans and our team should be very proud, we did as well as we could but we were outclassed by an opposition that can outplay us, outspend us and bring in a better quality of player than we can.

With all the Euro Millions Celtic have made, the gap has actually grown over the last 5 years. Apart from (maybe) Griffiths, there is not one Hibs player that Celtic would want. Over the decades, there has always been a few Hibs players who Celtic would be targeting or that the OF press would be campaigning to move along the M8. Feeder club and all that. Not now. Not one Hibs player. That as much as anything shows just how far we have fallen, and why the SCF was always likely to be a one-sided affair.

Hibs fans showed delight at the CF that we actually had a team that gave 100%. The fact that this was something to celebrate is again a reflection of just how bad things have been over the last 4 or 5 years.

LeithBoozy
28-05-2013, 06:18 AM
With all the Euro Millions Celtic have made, the gap has actually grown over the last 5 years. Apart from (maybe) Griffiths, there is not one Hibs player that Celtic would want. Over the decades, there has always been a few Hibs players who Celtic would be targeting or that the OF press would be campaigning to move along the M8. Feeder club and all that. Not now. Not one Hibs player. That as much as anything shows just how far we have fallen, and why the SCF was always likely to be a one-sided affair.

Hibs fans showed delight at the CF that we actually had a team that gave 100%. The fact that this was something to celebrate is again a reflection of just how bad things have been over the last 4 or 5 years.
That is the reason why the fans are staying away, even when you build a decent team you know they can come along and buy your best players. :rolleyes:

Islington Hibs
28-05-2013, 07:41 AM
I agree with these sentiments- it is getting harder and harder to compete. That said I thought we played pretty well and with a bit of luck and slightly better defending it could have been different. I came away disappointed for sure but pretty pleased with our progress. If Scottish football is to regenerate we absolutely need to find a way to make the league more competitive. Sadly Rangers will be back in 2 or 3 years but realistically how can Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd etc compete with budgets perhaps tenth the size of Celtic and Rangers? There will always be an imbalance but lets change the ridiculous 11-1 voting structure. This must be done well before Rangers are back in the SPL and lets then vote through a fairer share TV receipts, away gates share perhaps, prize money etc to create slightly more even competition. Celtic and Rangers negotiating position isn't as strong as they think as if the others insist on change with the threat of excluding them they would have nowhere to go- I don't think the EPL wants them and if they did good and well. Keep it as it is and the gulf will slowly but surely widen. The non old firm clubs need to have balls and insist on change. Over to you Mr Petrie?

johnbc70
28-05-2013, 08:26 AM
I said to my mate the difference on Sunday was a team with guys on £10K plus a week compared to guys on maximum £3K a week. Sometimes the underdogs pull it off but most of the time they don't and they had that extra clinical edge and quality that money buys you. Must be dull being a Celtic fan.

Keith_M
28-05-2013, 09:06 AM
It also proved that we STILL can't defend crosses into the box.

If I were an opposition manager, I would ensure I had a big target man and got plenty of cross balls in as it's an almost guaranteed way to score against us.

DH1875
28-05-2013, 12:07 PM

Celtic won because our defence shipped two dodgy goals. It's as simple as that Im afraid.

ScottB
28-05-2013, 12:27 PM
I fail to see why Celtic having more money and paying their players more is an excuse. After all, Wigan beat Man City, and I'd wager there is a far bigger money gap there than between us and Celtic.

We tried, shipped some soft goals and were outclassed by a team that was better and played closer to their best on the day than we did.

Part/Time Supporter
28-05-2013, 06:33 PM
I fail to see why Celtic having more money and paying their players more is an excuse. After all, Wigan beat Man City, and I'd wager there is a far bigger money gap there than between us and Celtic.

We tried, shipped some soft goals and were outclassed by a team that was better and played closer to their best on the day than we did.

Celtic's payroll (£40M) is about 10 times Hibs' (£4M).

Man City's (£200M) is about 5 times Wigan's (£40M).

God Petrie
28-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Celtic's payroll (£40M) is about 10 times Hibs' (£4M).

Man City's (£200M) is about 5 times Wigan's (£40M).

Law of diminishing returns.

eastterrace
28-05-2013, 09:37 PM
It also proved that we STILL can't defend crosses into the box.

If I were an opposition manager, I would ensure I had a big target man and got plenty of cross balls in as it's an almost guaranteed way to score against us.

been saying this for ages, motherwell sussed us out we cant defend cross balls, goalkeeper stuck on his line he is so poor with cross balls, great shot stopper but always likely to lose a goal from a cross, but thats why he plays for us cause if he was any better he would still be down england playing for some championship team.our goalkeepers over the years have been piss poor.

One Day Soon
28-05-2013, 09:45 PM
been saying this for ages, motherwell sussed us out we cant defend cross balls, goalkeeper stuck on his line he is so poor with cross balls, great shot stopper but always likely to lose a goal from a cross, but thats why he plays for us cause if he was any better he would still be down england playing for some championship team.our goalkeepers over the years have been piss poor.

McArthur, Leighton, Goram?

eastterrace
28-05-2013, 09:48 PM
McArthur, Leighton, Goram?

zibby , mackalamby , mcneil , smith ,simon brown , mark brown, nick colgan all piss poor maybe fling stack in there as well.

The Toun Hibee
28-05-2013, 09:55 PM
To beat Celtic at anytime you need a combination of an off day for them and a good day for us. I know it's hard to take but unfortunately it's true.

On the day the opposite was true, Celtic had a good day and we were slightly off par. We didn't have the luck on our side either and you definitely need it to finally win this bl'dy thing.

The Toun Hibee
28-05-2013, 09:59 PM
zibby , mackalamby , mcneil , smith ,simon brown , mark brown, nick colgan all piss poor maybe fling stack in there as well.

Nick colgan was an ok keeper. Best of a bad bunch in your list.

We've not had a truly outstanding keeper since Leighton. Ben Williams is a good keeper and he's not been held by some dodgy central defensive displays this season.

BarneyK
28-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Celtic won because our defence shipped two dodgy goals. It's as simple as that Im afraid.

Plus the fact our goal threat was greatly diminished if Sparky was off form/struggling with injury. But what's new about that? Our midfield is shot shy and has been all season. That said, there are certainly signs that we are going to be a bit better in that department next season, and there is definitely a feel-good factor returning due to the emergence of some good young talent. The future's green :thumbsup:

DH1875
28-05-2013, 10:44 PM

Nick Colgan piss poor? :faf::faf:. Aye, very good :rolleyes:.

eastterrace
30-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Nick Colgan piss poor? :faf::faf:. Aye, very good :rolleyes:.

funny i use to laugh at the howlers he done as well , he was another cheap option bit better than the list i gave but was still was piss poor.

hibs4thecup1988
30-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Colgan was consistent. As for another keeper...Daniel Anderrson. Whatever happened to him? I loved him.

Williams will be a good keeper for hibs, get him behind a back four who can consistently defend