PDA

View Full Version : Genuine question...

leithsansiro
26-05-2013, 07:55 PM
The cup final today got me thinking - can fans of clubs like Celtic really be all that bothered about their team. No question that we out sang them, even to the bitter end. It mattered to us, and although they won (perhaps helped by Hibs not really turning up!) , their fans weren't all that bothered. Do fans of big teams (glory hunters, in other words) actually get passionate about their team?

Which leads me on to my second point - if Hibs were winning regularly and were successful in a big way, would we still care about them the same? Is it wrong to suggest that I'm not sure if I would continue supporting them if loads of glory jumpers hopped onto the bandwagon.

Isn't part of the appeal of football in knowing that something MIGHT happen rather than that something WILL?

sbell1875
26-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Mount Florida train station was a strange place coming back after the game. We were there no more than 5 minutes before the Celtic fans which I found strange considering they'd won and had further to come round from in Hampden.

To echo your original point I think winning for Celtic is so frequent it's almost second nature. The fans didn't look delirious or bothered at all. It just made me even more disappointed to be honest.

cwilliamson85
26-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Once the semis had been drawn a Celtic fan said he would rather lose to Dundee Utd than lose to Hibs in the final.

That's how much they care about it.

Celtic at the moment are only looking at European football as this is where they are getting challenged. In the SPL they don't have to got out of 3rd gear to win most games.

Waxy
26-05-2013, 08:41 PM
No open top buses in Glasgow.
No celebrations at all.
Its straight home for tea.

Sir David Gray
26-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Their fans are more bothered about losing than they are about winning, if that makes sense.

If they had lost today, there would have been a post mortem carried out and they would have been bombarding the media with questions and complaints etc.

However they don't, in general, bother too much when they win things, unless it's an Old Firm game or a cup final against Sevco as it's just seen as being a routine, run of the mill victory.

Devilstorment
26-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Its all relative really. If Celtic won the Europa League they would be ecstatic because its a rarity. Likewise with us and the Scottish Cup and the Yams with the League Cup.

The more you do something the less special it feels.... except masterbation.

27-05-2013, 06:46 AM
As much as I would LOVE my club to win trophies on a regular basis like celtic do, I would hate not having that passion and emotional celebration. If hibs had won yesterday the celebrations would have been out of this world, but celtic just kind of shrug it off and walk out. I would hate that, the best part of football is the emotion and the celebrations with the team after winning trophies.

God Petrie
27-05-2013, 07:00 AM
Celtic died along with rangers. A disgusting little club of nae consequence.

Baader
27-05-2013, 01:30 PM
As much as I would LOVE my club to win trophies on a regular basis like celtic do, I would hate not having that passion and emotional celebration. If hibs had won yesterday the celebrations would have been out of this world, but celtic just kind of shrug it off and walk out. I would hate that, the best part of football is the emotion and the celebrations with the team after winning trophies.

Hibs would never be like Celtic if we were to achieve that level of success. Mostly because Hibs do not have that history of success - no Hibs fan has grown up seeing us win trophies regularly. Celtic and Rangers fans have - between them they have won the title for almost a full century (Rangers 54 championships, Celtic 44) Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen are all the next most successful with 4 titles each.

Shows the utter stranglehold on Scottish football by the Old Firm and the reason why there are so many glory hunting rantic 'fans' living no where near Glasgow and with no real connection to either club.

Thecat23
27-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Celtic fans aren't interested in trophies. They only thing they get passionate about it the vile songs they can sing when they play The Rangers. Just look at the crowds this season. There fans have pissed off because no one else is interested in listening to the crap they spout. Terrible club with terrible fans. Both them and Zombies have killed the game long ago!

EuanH78
27-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Celtic died along with rangers. A disgusting little club of nae consequence.

You are quite correct. I was pondering this very sentiment on the way home yesterday, disappointed but not despondent. There is no joy supporting Celtc [sic]

Yesterday just shone a light on them for me, a hollow, soulless and ultimately empty victory for a hollow, soulless and empty club. Without their Hun brothers they have nothing and it wont take long for them to realise it.

At the final whistle yesterday we (team and fans) showed them what it was all about and they know it. Enjoying the highs and lows is what being a fan is and to them, being a celtc fan is just a badge to be worn, a pseudo political statement - means nothing.