PDA

View Full Version : Scottish cup final attitude

Spike Mandela
26-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Why is it teams like Queen of the South, Gretna, Falkirk, Dunfermline and Dundee can get to a Scottish cup final and put up a decent fight against superior opposition yet time and time again we capitulate with a whimper.

I honestly don't understand it, is it something we place in the psyche of players who sign for us every time the media turns it's attention on the cup?

Can't get my head round it.

neil7908
26-05-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm honestly beginning to think we're jinxed.

It's clear we were playing a better team today but it is disappointing that we didn't make a better go of it as I think they are beatable.

My only hope is that the manager and players will grow and improve from this.

Thecat23
26-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Me and my mate asked the same question. St. Mirren, Killie etc.. All seem to have a real go. Yet again we barely had anything to shout about. Hibs were poor make no mistake about it. Celtic didnt break sweat and Foster was out warming up long before the rest as he had **** all to do. It's not down to a jinx though. It's down to whoever is in charge bottling it when we need to have a real go.

LaMotta
26-05-2013, 07:06 PM
lets be honest you need some luck on the day as well. Our Club Captain was injured and not available and our no 1 striker was crippled today......

Golden Bear
26-05-2013, 07:13 PM
The players did give 100% today but I'm not convinced that the preparation was spot on. It IS a special occasion and a change from the normal routines would surely have helped to galvanise the team and helped to focus their minds on the size of the task in front of them.

I think I'm correct in saying that they did the same thing in the lead up to last year's final so I really thought that PF would have tried a different approach this time around.

Sir David Gray
26-05-2013, 07:14 PM
The players did give 100% today but I'm not convinced that the preparation was spot on. It IS a special occasion and a change from the normal routines would surely have helped to galvanise the team and helped to focus their minds on the size of the task in front of them.

I think I'm correct in saying that they did the same thing in the lead up to last year's final so I really thought that PF would have tried a different approach this time around.

Last year the players went away to Ireland in the week leading up to the final.

That didn't work out too well.

inglisavhibs
26-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Why is it teams like Queen of the South, Gretna, Falkirk, Dunfermline and Dundee can get to a Scottish cup final and put up a decent fight against superior opposition yet time and time again we capitulate with a whimper.

I honestly don't understand it, is it something we place in the psyche of players who sign for us every time the media turns it's attention on the cup?

You are being harsh today. Celtic were clearly up for the game and are physically and talent wise much superior to our players. I don't think any of our players didn't put a great shift in. Leigh was clearly injured and could only give us 20 minutes. Celtic are full of experienced internationalists and Hibs could not afford to give them a cheap early goal but alas we did. The other problem is not new in that our central midfield players are incapable of getting forward to support the strikers. Should be no doom and gloom though as some good young talent emerging again. Young Forster was immense and although Harris found it tougher today, he is going to a top player for us.

Thecat23
26-05-2013, 07:16 PM

We went to Dublin last year did we not? Fenlon said staying at home and seeing the fans in the street will help the players know what it means.

judas
26-05-2013, 07:17 PM

Didn't think we capitulated at all. We were beaten by the better team, but I saw no lack of effort and not much luck for us on the day.

Stop acting like a yam.

There is much to be positive about at ER. Young Harris for a start looks a serious player and I think Fenlon has now got the attention of his players.

Onion
26-05-2013, 07:17 PM
lets be honest you need some luck on the day as well. Our Club Captain was injured and not available and our no 1 striker was crippled today......

I'm beginning to believe in the curse theory. The 2 people any team like Hibs need going into a major cup final is the captain and top goalscorer, and both were crocked. From that point, our fate was sealed.

In answer to why smaller teams like Gretna, Falkirk can make a fist of it, is that all our SC finals in the last 40 years have been against the celtic, rangers or yams (doped). sadly, these teams raised their games when they meet Hibs. When celtic or rangers play lower league or small teams, they're expected to win and can often get complacent or struggle to raise their own game. There is also the not insignificant burden of 111 years of history for Hibs to carry, which others don't. They can play with freedom, no fear and have a real go.

Sir David Gray
26-05-2013, 07:19 PM
I'm beginning to believe in the curse theory. The 2 people any team like Hibs need going into a major cup final is the captain and top goalscorer, and both were crocked. From that point, our fate was sealed.

In answer to why smaller teams like Gretna, Falkirk can make a fist of it, is that all our SC finals in the last 40 years have been against the celtic, rangers or yams (doped). sadly, these teams raised their games when they meet Hibs. When celtic or rangers play lower league or small teams, they're expected to win and can often get complacent or struggle to raise their own game. There is also the not insignificant burden of 111 years of history for Hibs to carry, which others don't. They can play with freedom, no fear and have a real go.

Totally agree with that.

truehibernian
26-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Far from it - look at the respective teams today, not how much they cost or get paid, just look at the talent on show.

Celtic's front line today had a 2 Scottish internationals, an Eire international, a future England striker perhaps - midfield they had a Welsh international and Brown (who is excellent), and in the full back areas they have a Honduran international, another Scottish international and a talented keeper who I think has an England squad place to his name. They are a team who like us came into the game on a hot streak having won the title, and taken Barcelona all the way in two games home and away, winning one of them - Benfica made the UEFA Cup final and Celtic came out of a group they were in.

Then look at Hibs today and I'm pleased to say there are huge positives - Alex Harris and Jordon will take huge huge benefits from today. Both from their respective performances, where neither looked out of place in a showpiece final, and that they are young and hungry to progress and have the talent to go further in the game. Hibs last year was a team of journeyman loanees and players who had full bank balances and little else. Today we had the likes Danny and Ross who like their mates will want to get to Hampden again and again if they can - they understand what joy it brings to the fans and their mates.

That's why today, I think, fans are sad and low, but forgiving - they see light and they see progress - the young players being the highlight of the latter part of the season.

Each season Pat knows that the sides need - pace for me has always been absolutely paramount and we don't have much of it in the middle of the park and wide (other than Leigh and Alex) - this needs addressed. The full back area also needs looked at, but the key key positions in summer are a strong, quick front man, a pacey wide right winger, and a very creative forward playing midfielder. I'm confident we can maybe get a right full back too.

Today was always going to be difficult but the run to the final was excellent and contained enough drama for 10 cup runs - each game stands the squad in good stead guys. We'll win the damn thing one day, and I think with the team that is currently being built.

The supporters this season, especially after last, have been truly truly awe inspiring and each one of you should hold your head up high and be very proud today - Hibernian Football Club are simply a wonderful team to be part of and even in defeat I think all of us could concede that there is a togetherness about the place right this minute. Let's build on it for next season.

LaMotta
26-05-2013, 07:24 PM

:agree:

Golden Bear
26-05-2013, 07:25 PM
We went to Dublin last year did we not? Fenlon said staying at home and seeing the fans in the street will help the players know what it means.

Did we? If so I stand corrected but I still say that a special occasion such as a cup final should be marked by making changes to the normal routine. Even if the changes meant a change of pub for the players.

:wink:

heidtheba
26-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Didn't think we capitulated at all. We were beaten by the better team, but I saw no lack of effort and not much luck for us on the day.

Stop acting like a yam.

There is much to be positive about at ER. Young Harris for a start looks a serious player and I think Fenlon has now got the attention of his players.

This is what I'd go with - I think we were just beaten today but we put up a fight. Just beaten by a better team and the lynchpin of our attack was injured and looked it. Last year hurt because of the ref, the financial doping of Hearts and the lack of attitude from many of our players. Blame lay everywhere. This year we were just beaten, not robbed. I don't see anyone of the Hibs staff made a botch up - we just met the champions on their best.

Famous Fiver
26-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Got to add my tuppenceworth - Centre half and captain out, Griffiths not fit, their wage bill is 8 (eight) times the size of ours. on another day and against another team, Brown would have been gone, referee never gave us a break, Griffiths got kicked from pillar to post, play acting, time wasting.... the list is endless. Our support showed what their team meant to them, their support just wanted to sing about Irish terrorism. Need I say more. Never been more proud to be a Hibby than tonight.

Waxy
26-05-2013, 07:30 PM
I honestly think it's because of the way we see ourselves.
We think we are a big enough club to compete with Celtic.We are not.
They can spend much much more than us and it shows.
We get outplayed by far more expensive players.It's hardly rocket science.
We think just because we are Hibs we can do it when in reality it will take a massive effort, a fair bit luck, a good tactical gameplan, and no bad luck at all.

We are Hibs,we are a huge club.
But playing that team today we had to be at our very best.No mistakes,and even then it might not have been enough.

One year we'll get to a final where WE are the favorites.

Paisley Hibby
26-05-2013, 07:39 PM
This is what I'd go with - I think we were just beaten today but we put up a fight. Just beaten by a better team and the lynchpin of our attack was injured and looked it. Last year hurt because of the ref, the financial doping of Hearts and the lack of attitude from many of our players. Blame lay everywhere. This year we were just beaten, not robbed. I don't see anyone of the Hibs staff made a botch up - we just met the champions on their best.

Totally agree. I think our players have nothing to be ashamed about. To win we had to hope that Celtic were below par, Hibs had no injuries and we played to the top of our game. As none of those things happened today the outcome was inevitable. I still think 3-0 was a tad harsh.

Paisley Hibby
26-05-2013, 07:40 PM
I honestly think it's because of the way we see ourselves.
We think we are a big enough club to compete with Celtic.We are not.
They can spend much much more than us and it shows.
We get outplayed by far more expensive players.It's hardly rocket science.
We think just because we are Hibs we can do it when in reality it will take a massive effort, a fair bit luck, a good tactical gameplan, and no bad luck at all.

We are Hibs,we are a huge club.
But playing that team today we had to be at our very best.No mistakes,and even then it might not have been enough.

One year we'll get to a final where WE are the favorites.

Remember Livingston?

snooky
26-05-2013, 07:44 PM
What's the big deal about not winning the cup for 111 years?
We have won it - twice! (i.e. been there, done it.)
If we had never won it - now then it would be a curse.

Also, if playing the OF was assimilated to a boxing match, then pound for pound (£ for £) it would be such a mismatch that the WBA would not allow it.

Baldy Foghorn
26-05-2013, 07:44 PM
We started great in the opening 7 minutes, then bang, wind right out of sails.....From that point on, we struggled to get a foothold of game, showed no creativity, and rarely troubled their defence......I am so disappointed Today, I thought we were poor....

Waxy
26-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Remember Livingston?I do.But i'm on about the Scottish cup.Perhaps the next time we'll get a lesser team in the final.Part of our curse is we make the final but have to play teams that spend at least x5 wages than we do.

The equivilant would be us playing a team like Raith or Dumbarton surely.

davhibby
26-05-2013, 07:49 PM
It would be nice to play someone other than Celtic, Rangers or Hearts

snooky
26-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Got to add my tuppenceworth - Centre half and captain out, Griffiths not fit, their wage bill is 8 (eight) times the size of ours. on another day and against another team, Brown would have been gone, referee never gave us a break, Griffiths got kicked from pillar to post, play acting, time wasting.... the list is endless. Our support showed what their team meant to them, their support just wanted to sing about Irish terrorism. Need I say more. Never been more proud to be a Hibby than tonight.

Not saying it would have changed the result but, many of us expected Collum to be impartial. He wasn't - and gave us nothing till the last 15 min.
Also the linesmen missed several offside calls when Celtic attacked.

That's par for the course when playing the OF so no real surprise there.

Ray_
26-05-2013, 07:54 PM

Hibs went to Ireland on the build up to last season and stayed at home this time.

I'm going to change a habit of a lifetime and give an opinion of the game.

We started well but sank too easily when the first goal went in. We were very poor in defence and in midfield, Harris apart, we lacked penetration and offered no support to Griffith and this showed in his body language.

All in all we made it far too easy for Celtic. The young lads give us hope but the management has do something about our dreadful defending. Forster, I thought was the best of the bunch, but he was too deep at their third, playing three of them on. We need somebody to dominate that area, it was far too easy for Celtic players to find space in our box.

We have a number of midfield players, but don't in the box get enough, Robertson made a difference when he came on a fortnight ago and created our winner & no doubt Craig will make a difference, but neither Carlos or Taiwo can run midfield on their own, with a more attack minded midfielder, Thompson, although I welcome his return, has yet to prove he can take the responsibility and still run a midfield. Spoony will I think be off after today & we don't know if KT and/or Claros will join him and we don't know what is happening with Paul Cairney.

Up front Caldwell is impressive and looks as though he will cement a spot [I thought he should have started today], Handling was again impressive when he came on, but the big question mark is Griffith and if he doesn't return we have a huge hole in there as well.

All in all I don't envy Pat Fenlon and the massive job he still has on, young lads apart, Williams, despite his problem with cross balls is about the only stick on he has going in to next season.

I felt far better when Fenlon started using the young players and that gave me renewed hope. If the young ones are allowed to develop at the club and not quickly sold off, I do think PF will get there and when it happens, we could be in for an exciting time.

The Sea-gull
26-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Remember Livingston?

If you are referring to the league cup final of 2004 Livi had finished above us in the two seasons prior and were ahead of us on the league at the time. Only the glory hunter element of our 35k support that day had us as favourites.

judas
26-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Remember Livingston?

I remember it well. Hibs played a young team, paid for with money we actually had.

Livingston played a team of highly paid players whilst technically insolvent.

We all like to diss hibs for results against livi, hearts etc. But, to my mind, we have always done the right thing, and I am happy about that. This club is woven into the fabric of my life, I want it to set standards and act like a community institution, not a two bit nightclub.

WestEndHibee
26-05-2013, 08:15 PM

Yep top post, absolutely spot on. :top marks

Ray_
26-05-2013, 08:18 PM
I remember it well. Hibs played a young team, paid for with money we actually had.

Livingston played a team of highly paid players whilst technically insolvent.

We all like to diss hibs for results against livi, hearts etc. But, to my mind, we have always done the right thing, and I am happy about that. This club is woven into the fabric of my life, I want it to set standards and act like a community institution, not a two bit nightclub.

Wasn't this game after Livingstone had already been found to be financially unsustainable and had subsequently already lost some of their players before the final?

Stringer
26-05-2013, 08:22 PM
The problem is the pressure for sure. But the the attitude wasn't the problem today. We played with midfielders who slowed the play right down. We have no creative talent through the middle. Hopefully Craig is a proper number 10 who can make plays in and around the box.

hibs4thecup1988
26-05-2013, 08:22 PM
We started great in the opening 7 minutes, then bang, wind right out of sails.....From that point on, we struggled to get a foothold of game, showed no creativity, and rarely troubled their defence......I am so disappointed Today, I thought we were poor....

Agreeed. 100%

jdships
26-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Hibs went to Ireland on the build up to last season and stayed at home this time.

I'm going to change a habit of a lifetime and give an opinion of the game.

We started well but sank too easily when the first goal went in. We were very poor in defence and in midfield, Harris apart, we lacked penetration and offered no support to Griffith and this showed in his body language.

All in all we made it far too easy for Celtic. The young lads give us hope but the management has do something about our dreadful defending. Forster, I thought was the best of the bunch, but he was too deep at their third, playing three of them on. We need somebody to dominate that area, it was far too easy for Celtic players to find space in our box.

We have a number of midfield players, but don't in the box get enough, Robertson made a difference when he came on a fortnight ago and created our winner & no doubt Craig will make a difference, but neither Carlos or Taiwo can run midfield on their own, with a more attack minded midfielder, Thompson, although I welcome his return, has yet to prove he can take the responsibility and still run a midfield. Spoony will I think be off after today & we don't know if KT and/or Claros will join him and we don't know what is happening with Paul Cairney.

Up front Caldwell is impressive and looks as though he will cement a spot [I thought he should have started today], Handling was again impressive when he came on, but the big question mark is Griffith and if he doesn't return we have a huge hole in there as well.

All in all I don't envy Pat Fenlon and the massive job he still has on, young lads apart, Williams, despite his problem with cross balls is about the only stick on he has going in to next season.

I felt far better when Fenlon started using the young players and that gave me renewed hope. If the young ones are allowed to develop at the club and not quickly sold off, I do think PF will get there and when it happens, we could be in for an exciting time.

Think you are being extremely unfair to Forster here
If you note that McGivern , not for the first time , had drifted into the middle and allowed the winger to control the ball , run with it look up and put a ball right accross the box
If McG had stayed out he would at least have cut down the options

We were out muscled by a stronger , physically, and much more experienced side - end of !!

BH Hibs
26-05-2013, 08:33 PM
The teams the op mentioned never beat the OF in their SC finals either

MWHIBBIES
26-05-2013, 08:47 PM
I thought the players gave their all today, just wasn't to be.

Put if this way if Celtic are on their game they will beat anyone in Scotland because they have the best team, they need to struggle and others need to have great games to even stand a chance. Its what money does.

Ray_
26-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Think you are being extremely unfair to Forster here
If you note that McGivern , not for the first time , had drifted into the middle and allowed the winger to control the ball , run with it look up and put a ball right accross the box
If McG had stayed out he would at least have cut down the options

We were out muscled by a stronger , physically, and much more experienced side - end of !!

McG was attracted out to the midfielder, which left the gap for the winger to be played in, Forster was deeper than the other defenders, but to be fair, I think another one played them on as well. It wasn't meant to be a dig at the young lad, I was highlighting the need of somebody to take responsibility to marshall the defence, that didn't happen today. it wasn't them being tougher or more experienced that created the gaps in our defence, it was poor play. Three of our four defenders have plenty experience, even although two of them are reasonably young.

Hopefully the problem with McPake this season has been the injury and he will be back on all cylinders next season, otherwise we need somebody to come in and do that job, along side the young lad and/or Hanlan, as its crystal that Hanlon isn't up to that yet.

nic81
26-05-2013, 09:40 PM
I don't agree the players gave their all throughout the game, the first 10 minutes and maybe 15-20 minutes of the second half there was a bit of dig but to say they gave their all just baffles me, no fight as per usual, 2nd to every ball, it's the final of the Scottish cup for gods sake, getting sick of turning up at Hampden and just rolling over, not sure what the solution is though, cant even say they bottled it as we did last year we just were not at the races today and quite frankly it's just not good enough!

worcesterhibby
26-05-2013, 09:42 PM
I know stats aren't a true reflection of the game but our stack up pretty well..

Possession

Hibs 50% Celtic 50%

Shots
Hibs 8Celtic 10
On target
Hibs 3Celtic 5

Corners
Hibs 4Celtic 0

Fouls
Hibs 18Celtic 6

The big difference between the teams was creativity in the last third by midfielders and the ability to attack balls in the air up front. For the rest of the match we matched celtic...we had as much possession, we fought as hard, we tackled as hard and we ran as hard...we just lacked creativity in Midfield (I like Taiwo, Claros and Thommo, but other than Young Harris none of them get forward enough) and a goal scoring touch (Leigh was clearly injured, Doyle is a trier but a couple of classes below the Celtic forwards).

The Ref was almost as biased as the TV coverage as well.:rolleyes:

Baader
26-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Celtic were just better. Thought both fullbacks were pretty poor today but to be honest when your squad costs virtually nothing to assemble and are up against one that costs millions what can you expect? Was a big ask. The guy next to me expected us to be playing like Bayern. The players tried but just didn't go for us and a shame too many balls were played in the air to Leigh which was never going to trouble their centre halfs

Spike Mandela
27-05-2013, 07:41 AM
The teams the op mentioned never beat the OF in their SC finals either

Yes and all were massive underdogs like we were yesterday. The point I was trying to make was they all ran their superior opposition very very close on the day either losing on penaties or by the odd goal. All clearly raising their game for the final.

Getting fed up of leaving Scottish cup finals reading how the opposition had a 'comfortable win'.

We ran Rangers close in '79 but since then our Scottish cup finals have been very disappointing.

Maybe it is just luck. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Utd had beat Celtic in the semi and they were the opposition.

#FromTheCapital
27-05-2013, 07:56 AM
No disrespect to st mirren and Kilmarnock who deserved their wins against Celtic when it mattered but I think it's more a case of Celtic playing really ***** against them rather than them being great. Celtic have bottled it loads of times at Hampden and unfortunately for us, yesterday was not one of these days. Celtic should be horsing any Scottish team put in front of them with ease

Cropley10
27-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Far from it - look at the respective teams today, not how much they cost or get paid, just look at the talent on show.

Celtic's front line today had a 2 Scottish internationals, an Eire international, a future England striker perhaps - midfield they had a Welsh international and Brown (who is excellent), and in the full back areas they have a Honduran international, another Scottish international and a talented keeper who I think has an England squad place to his name. They are a team who like us came into the game on a hot streak having won the title, and taken Barcelona all the way in two games home and away, winning one of them - Benfica made the UEFA Cup final and Celtic came out of a group they were in.

Then look at Hibs today and I'm pleased to say there are huge positives - Alex Harris and Jordon will take huge huge benefits from today. Both from their respective performances, where neither looked out of place in a showpiece final, and that they are young and hungry to progress and have the talent to go further in the game. Hibs last year was a team of journeyman loanees and players who had full bank balances and little else. Today we had the likes Danny and Ross who like their mates will want to get to Hampden again and again if they can - they understand what joy it brings to the fans and their mates.

That's why today, I think, fans are sad and low, but forgiving - they see light and they see progress - the young players being the highlight of the latter part of the season.

Each season Pat knows that the sides need - pace for me has always been absolutely paramount and we don't have much of it in the middle of the park and wide (other than Leigh and Alex) - this needs addressed. The full back area also needs looked at, but the key key positions in summer are a strong, quick front man, a pacey wide right winger, and a very creative forward playing midfielder. I'm confident we can maybe get a right full back too.

Today was always going to be difficult but the run to the final was excellent and contained enough drama for 10 cup runs - each game stands the squad in good stead guys. We'll win the damn thing one day, and I think with the team that is currently being built.

The supporters this season, especially after last, have been truly truly awe inspiring and each one of you should hold your head up high and be very proud today - Hibernian Football Club are simply a wonderful team to be part of and even in defeat I think all of us could concede that there is a togetherness about the place right this minute. Let's build on it for next season.

:top marks:

yesterday was night and day from last year. Celtic are a very good team, no disgrace what happened.

Heisenberg
27-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Don't think it was down to attitude yesterday. We made simple mistakes and Celtc were good enough to capatalise.

jeffers
27-05-2013, 08:38 AM
I don't know if it would have made much of a difference but for me the team selection was wrong. I really like Kevin Thomson but he is wasted out on the left and hardly influenced the game at all. He should have been selected in the middle and told to get in about Brown or not at all. For me playing him, Claros and Taiwo was a mistake. If only we had got Craig in the January window.

I also would have started with Caldwell instead of Doyle, I'm not sure where Doyle was supposed to be playing but it wasn't up beside Sparky who once again was isolated with balls being fired up to him at head height.

We tried hard enough but we needed them to have an off day and us to defend like we did in the 1-0 at Easter Road - sadly neither happened.

Sammy7nil
27-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Celtic are the best team in Sotland by some way, should they beat us of course they should.

Should we allow them to pat us on they head like some daftie school team NO.

The manager and players have to be able to come up with a gameplan that at very least keeps us in the game until the later stages. As we are all told in international football there are no easy games and setting up a team to defend and frustrate is no problem. If that is true why cant Hibs do that?

We rolled over AGAIN no excuses Hibs were very poor other than Doyles header we created nothing Celtic strolled about looking like they had not a care in the world.

Three finals aggregate score 11 (Eleven) 1 by 4.05 pm (or ealier) in everyone one of those finals the match has been over as a contest and if it were boxing match would have been stopped.

NO EXCUSES we as fans should expect better.

J-C
27-05-2013, 08:51 AM
The problem is the pressure for sure. But the the attitude wasn't the problem today. We played with midfielders who slowed the play right down. We have no creative talent through the middle. Hopefully Craig is a proper number 10 who can make plays in and around the box.

This.

We had 3 defensive midfielders playing today when 1 would've been plenty, out of those 3, the most creative out of them was playing on the left wing FFS.

Craig hopefully will fill the creative midfielder spot and with Robertson getting a full pre season, he'll be the complete box to box we need.

After saying all that our defence is still lacking, a solid RB is needed, Clancy is injury prone and slow. I'd give Stevenson the LB position for next season, forget about him being a midfielder, tell him he's the left back and let him develop into a very good full back. I know they're trying to get a deal done for McGivern but he was appalling yesterday, positionally inept and concentration wise very poor, disappears in big games unfortunately.

.Sean.
27-05-2013, 09:14 AM
We were rubbish. Why he insisted on Hanlon and McGivern lumping the ball in the air to our most creative player i'll never know. It's clear as day Griffiths is at his best when the ball is played to his feet. Doyle shouldn't have ben near that starting 11 either. Brown only looked so good because he was allowed to, constantly being given freedom to roam around the halfway line with nobody pressing. Schoolboy stuff. He's an ugly little **** and hopefully his showing yesterday makes the Hibs fans that still see 'Broony' as some sort of legend open their eyes and see him for what he really is, a sneering little Celtic ****face.

I'm absolutely gutted, feel far worse than I did after last year :boo hoo:

3pm
27-05-2013, 09:17 AM
I didn't think I was that bad but in hindsight, I am glad I was a wee bit pished. :agree:

monktonharp
27-05-2013, 09:19 AM

Stop acting like a yam.

There is much to be positive about at ER. Young Harris for a start looks a serious player and I think Fenlon has now got the attention of his players. for anyone to say there was lack of effort, they are talking nonsense. our team made a lot of effort, all over the park,imho. we lost a very cheap early goal, when Celtic came at us for the first time after 9 mins. our front men toiled for high balls aginst their defenders all day, but lots of the game was played in their half, certainly in the second half.Scott Brown was allowed to noise up, push, argue and moan in the face of our midfield all day and I think the ref was shamefull in that respect. proud of our effort, cant complain about who won as they have some class. the ref, that's another story.

monktonharp
27-05-2013, 09:21 AM
We were rubbish. Why he insisted on Hanlon and McGivern lumping the ball in the air to our most creative player i'll never know. It's clear as day Griffiths is at his best when the ball is played to his feet. Doyle shouldn't have ben near that starting 11 either. Brown only looked so good because he was allowed to, constantly being given freedom to roam around the halfway line with nobody pressing. Schoolboy stuff. He's an ugly little **** and hopefully his showing yesterday makes the Hibs fans that still see 'Broony' as some sort of legend open their eyes and see him for what he really is, a sneering little Celtic ****face.

I'm absolutely gutted, feel far worse than I did after last year :boo hoo: agree with your point on Broony.

Baldy Foghorn
27-05-2013, 09:24 AM

Brown was given the freedon of Hampden Park, similar to Black last year.......We gave him far too much space and time on the ball.....I'm gutted too, really thought there would be redemption after last year, sadly not to be

Beefster
27-05-2013, 09:26 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/hibernian/10081935/Hibs-never-gave-up-against-Celtic-say-defenders-Ryan-McGivern-and-Paul-Hanlon.html

That explains the Scottish Cup final attitude. Happy not to have shipped more than three.

Onion
27-05-2013, 09:57 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/hibernian/10081935/Hibs-never-gave-up-against-Celtic-say-defenders-Ryan-McGivern-and-Paul-Hanlon.html

That explains the Scottish Cup final attitude. Happy not to have shipped more than three.

Similar story in the Herald who are usually pretty sympathetic towards Hibs. They mock Hanlon's comments and mentality, and I can understand why. Hanlon's comments say much about Hibs approach to this game which appears to have been based on what happened last year... let's give 100%, not capitulate or get badly beaten.. rather than how do we win the Cup.

IMHO JMcP's attitude would have been more about a missed opportunity to win the Cup and disappointment for the fans, rather than being quite pleased we didn't collapse again :rolleyes: Until we start recruiting real winners at Easter Road we will continue to come up short in the SCF.

3pm
27-05-2013, 10:21 AM

Too much 'deserve more credit' chat.

See Fenlon saying something similar about finishing 7th.

Speedway
27-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Why all of this analysis about nothing.

They were much better than us. We got outplayed. Nothing to do with going out with a whimper. They were playing to beat their parent club and win the double.

Winning convincingly is what winners tend to do.

dutchhibby
27-05-2013, 10:37 AM
i honestly thought this was the year of the underdogs to win the cups

swansea
wigan
st mirren
hibs

PatHead
27-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Wasn't this game after Livingstone had already been found to be financially unsustainable and had subsequently already lost some of their players before the final?

Nope, just not true. Livingston laid off their players after the final. No first team squad were laid off prior to the final. The first redundancies came the day after the final.

Risboro Hibby
27-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Having seen all the cup finals since 72 it seems to me we never give ourselves a chance to compete. We always lose the first goal and end up chasing the game. The only exception was the 79 final when McCloy had that fantastic save in the dying minutes to stop us. We did take the lead twice in the second replay only for us to shoot outselves in the foot again with an og.Very few teams ever come from behind to win a cup final so losing the first has always been our downfall and yesterday it was worse cause we lost it while in control of the game.

judas
27-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Nope, just not true. Livingston laid off their players after the final. No first team squad were laid off prior to the final. The first redundancies came the day after the final.

100% correct.

Ray_
27-05-2013, 11:52 PM
100% correct.

http://www.scotzine.com/oor-football-years/livingston-2004/

Steve-O
28-05-2013, 01:56 AM
Perhaps they were too focused on the end of season do later that night which Handling described as "CARNAGE" on Twitter...

matty_f
28-05-2013, 01:58 AM
Perhaps they were too focused on the end of season do later that night which Handling described as "CARNAGE" on Twitter...

I would say they looked focussed on the game.

skipster7
28-05-2013, 03:41 PM

wouldnt say we were rubbish. this article pretty much sums it up for me http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/colin-duncan-hibs-face-long-1917215#comments .the show of unity and defiance at the end was the only bright spot for me tbh.

JimBHibees
28-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Having seen all the cup finals since 72 it seems to me we never give ourselves a chance to compete. We always lose the first goal and end up chasing the game. The only exception was the 79 final when McCloy had that fantastic save in the dying minutes to stop us. We did take the lead twice in the second replay only for us to shoot outselves in the foot again with an og.Very few teams ever come from behind to win a cup final so losing the first has always been our downfall and yesterday it was worse cause we lost it while in control of the game.

We didnt we were 1 up then 2-1 down. We also saved a pen when 2-1 I think.

JimBHibees
28-05-2013, 03:51 PM

What a staggering comment this is by PH.

We’re happy with the performance but, obviously, gutted with the result.

Personally thought we tried hard but were beaten by a stronger team on the day however to say we were happy with the performance is staggering to be honest IMO.

CropleyWasGod
28-05-2013, 03:52 PM
We didnt we were 1 up then 2-1 down. We also saved a pen when 2-1 I think.

I thought the penalty was at 2-2, in the first half of Extra time. It was in front of our support.

However, you are right that it went 1-0, 1-1, 1-2, 2-2.

JimBHibees
28-05-2013, 03:53 PM
I thought the penalty was at 2-2, in the first half of Extra time. It was in front of our support.

However, you are right that it went 1-0, 1-1, 1-2, 2-2.

I think you are right it certainly was at the end the Hibees were at.

CropleyWasGod
28-05-2013, 04:02 PM
I think you are right it certainly was at the end the Hibees were at.

Yeah, we took the lead at the other end, first half. One of their goals was scored at our end, maybe 2.

Macleod equalised with the penalty at our end. 2-2 after 90.

McArthur saved the penalty at our end in the first half of extra time.

And Arthur did his bit at their end.

Golden Bear
28-05-2013, 04:35 PM
What a staggering comment this is by PH.

We’re happy with the performance but, obviously, gutted with the result.

Personally thought we tried hard but were beaten by a stronger team on the day however to say we were happy with the performance is staggering to be honest IMO.

Especially from a self confessed Celtic minded Manager who happened to be in charge of Hibernian!

pontius pilate
28-05-2013, 05:44 PM
There is no attitude that's the problem. The players don't walk out with swagger chest puffed out staring down the opposition wanting it more. They walk the walk but when it comes to doing the talking they bottle it. Last year we left our bottle in Edinburgh this year it was harthill. I'll support and keep on supporting the team and the club. But in all honesty they don't deserve the support we give them. It's time to start believing we are good enough.
We are Hibernian.

Onion
28-05-2013, 07:49 PM
There is no attitude that's the problem. The players don't walk out with swagger chest puffed out staring down the opposition wanting it more. They walk the walk but when it comes to doing the talking they bottle it. Last year we left our bottle in Edinburgh this year it was harthill. I'll support and keep on supporting the team and the club. But in all honesty they don't deserve the support we give them. It's time to start believing we are good enough.
We are Hibernian.

:hmmm: better get your tin hat on, but :top marks. Sadly we've become so used to mediocrity and living off scraps at ER, we're surprised and thrilled when we get the odd burger. So much said post-match by the manager, players and fans about the team giving 100%, heads not going down etc etc in a Scottish Cup Final as if this is something to be admired when it should be an absolute given. Only Hibernian could see this as success and IMHO is at the centre of why we're perennial underachievers and failed in this competition for 111 years. Turnbull is the only manager in my lifetime who has come close to addressing this issue, but up against a Celtic team who were among the top sides in Europe at that time.

JimBHibees
28-05-2013, 07:51 PM

Especially from a self confessed Celtic minded Manager who happened to be in charge of Hibernian!

It was Paul Hanlons comment.

Arbroath Hibby
28-05-2013, 08:04 PM
The guys I was with noticed that in the second half , when they were 2 up , when ever Hibs got the ball and attacked thier goal area they had 5 players in a line right across the 18 yrd box with others coming back, just before LG did his impression of Tom Daley, naughty boy.
Hibs are better than was displayed,but we only showed glimpses of it.

But I was mightly impressed by the majority of the fans attitude, bursting into song near the end of the game and to stay and applaude the players.

Proud to
Proud to be
Proud to be a
Hibee!! :aok: