PDA

View Full Version : Europe Draw 2013-2014

GreenCastle
26-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Already looking ahead - when will we found out who we play in the qualifying rounds?

RCNG
26-05-2013, 06:56 PM
http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2014/accesslist/index.html

24th of June!:flag:

Hibs Class
26-05-2013, 07:07 PM
When will our first games be?

Sir David Gray
26-05-2013, 07:12 PM
When will our first games be?

18/25 July.

hibeedonald
26-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Anyone got a list of teams? Fancy Wigan would be easy to get to and winnable.

Sir David Gray
26-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Anyone got a list of teams? Fancy Wigan would be easy to get to and winnable.

As the FA Cup winners, Wigan go straight into the group stages.

We would need to win 3 rounds before we got that far.

InterviewLoI
26-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Hopefully one of the Irish teams! Would love to see the Hibees over here!

SteveHFC
26-05-2013, 07:58 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_UEFA_Europa_League#Second_qualifyi ng_round

Maccabi Haifa anyone :greengrin

Sir David Gray
26-05-2013, 08:03 PM
By doing a quick check, we will be one of the unseeded teams in the second qualifying round so it looks like some of our potential opponents are;

Rubin Kazan
Standard Liege
Hapoel Tel Aviv
Lech Poznan
Trabzonspor
AaB
Anorthosis
Utrecht
Maccabi Haifa
Omonia
Chornomorets Odesa
Debrecen
Hajduk Split
Red Star Belgrade
Slovan Liberec
Shakhtyor Salihorsk
Goteburg
Sturm Graz

Also, if they get through the first qualifying round, the following sides are likely to be seeded;

Rosenborg
Zilina
Levski Sofia
CSKA Sofia
Videoton
Ventspils

zlatan
26-05-2013, 08:06 PM
By doing a quick check, we will be one of the unseeded teams in the second qualifying round so it looks like some of our potential opponents are;

Rubin Kazan
Standard Liege
Hapoel Tel Aviv
Lech Poznan
Trabzonspor
AaB
Anorthosis
Utrecht
Maccabi Haifa
Omonia
Chornomorets Odesa
Debrecen
Hajduk Split
Red Star Belgrade
Slovan Liberec
Shakhtyor Salihorsk
Goteburg
Sturm Graz

Also, if they get through the first qualifying round, the following sides are likely to be seeded;

Rosenborg
Zilina
Levski Sofia
CSKA Sofia
Videoton
Ventspils

Hurray, another expensive trip I won't be able to afford.

Worst thing is I fly out to Croatia to interrail around Europe a week after the 2nd leg is due to be played.

Fergus52
26-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Do we not still get the cup European place and the third qualifying round?

or does the cup place go to the league now?

jw1410
26-05-2013, 08:50 PM
By doing a quick check, we will be one of the unseeded teams in the second qualifying round

I may be reading it wrong but as Cup Winners do we not get put into Q3?

scoopyboy
26-05-2013, 08:52 PM

Eh, did we win the cup???????????

Sir David Gray

We're not cup winners though. :confused:

If we had won today then you're right, we would have been in the third qualifying round but because we lost, we go into the second qualifying round and Motherwell qualify for the third qualifying round.

LancashireHibby
Some great names in that list. Sure we can have a chance of playing a Welsh or Irish team; Motherwell played Llanelli the other year didn't they?

Green Man
26-05-2013, 08:53 PM

We didn't win the cup though :(
We go into the 2nd qualifying round.

jw1410
26-05-2013, 08:55 PM
We're not cup winners though. :confused:

If we had won today then you're right, we would have been in the third qualifying round but because we lost, we go into the second qualifying round and Motherwell qualify for the third qualifying round.

Ah I see, I assumed as Celtics slot shuffled down we got the place they would have if they hadn't also won the league. Cheers for clearing that up!

jw1410
26-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Eh, did we win the cup???????????

I should have put that in quotation marks :/. Misunderstood who got what since Celtics place shuffled down :aok:

Sir David Gray
26-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Some great names in that list. Sure we can have a chance of playing a Welsh or Irish team; Motherwell played Llanelli the other year didn't they?

Motherwell did play Llanelli a few years ago but that was in the first qualifying round, which is when most of the Welsh and Irish teams come in.

Even if they win to get into the round that we're in, we'll be unseeded so it's unlikely that we'll play them.

hibernian95
26-05-2013, 09:39 PM

Rubin Kazan
Standard Liege
Hapoel Tel Aviv
Lech Poznan
Trabzonspor
AaB
Anorthosis
Utrecht
Maccabi Haifa
Omonia
Chornomorets Odesa
Debrecen
Hajduk Split
Red Star Belgrade
Slovan Liberec
Shakhtyor Salihorsk
Goteburg
Sturm Graz

Rosenborg
Zilina
Levski Sofia
CSKA Sofia
Videoton
Ventspils

When do Uefa confirm who is seeded and who isn't, some tricky ties in there, hopefully a nice away trip though!

Sir David Gray
26-05-2013, 09:53 PM
When do Uefa confirm who is seeded and who isn't, some tricky ties in there, hopefully a nice away trip though!

Seems to be confirmed already.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013-14_UEFA_Europa_League#Second_qualifying_round

Devilstorment
26-05-2013, 10:01 PM
I can see us away to Odessa!!

Do ST cup top ups include Europe game(s)?

HiBremian
26-05-2013, 10:13 PM

Parallel universe alert.

GreenCastle
26-05-2013, 10:13 PM
http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2014/accesslist/index.html

24th of June!:flag:

Just over a month away for the draw.

Some tough teams - hopefully get a full ER whoever we get :aok:

hfc rd
26-05-2013, 11:00 PM
I hope the 1st leg is at ER, as I'm away on a family holiday to Orlando on the 22nd. Personally don't mind who we get as you simply cannot beat European nights at the Leith San Siro.

Sir David Gray
26-05-2013, 11:09 PM
I hope the 1st leg is at ER, as I'm away on a family holiday to Orlando on the 22nd. Personally don't mind who we get as you simply cannot beat European nights at the Leith San Siro.

If we're unseeded, I would imagine the first leg will be at ER as the seeded club normally plays the home leg second.

hfc rd
26-05-2013, 11:28 PM
If we're unseeded, I would imagine the first leg will be at ER as the seeded club normally plays the home leg second.

I think we are going to be unseeded as our co-efficiency has dropped and Hibs' record in Europe over the past few most recent occasions we have qualified for the completion, isn't really good.

Josh 01
27-05-2013, 06:56 AM

I never knew that. Does that mean we were seeded against maribor last time?
A trip to cyprus or somewhere like that would be brill!

pontius pilate
27-05-2013, 07:19 AM
What's going to be great is a full E.R and a chance to play European football again.
Bring it on

Pretty Boy
27-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Going to go into work today and get a few days booked off around both dates.

Hopefully we get a draw against someone fairly accessible with a budget airline route.

Not sure I can afford Israel or Russia.

Hibernian Verse
27-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Standard Liege please! Nice wee trip to Belgium. Anyone but Rubin Kazan actually.

007 Mickey Weir
27-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Hadjuk Split please

YehButNoBut
27-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Lech Poznan would be a good draw & Ryanair do cheap flights there from Edinburgh.

Danielyma6
27-05-2013, 09:39 AM
As long as we win our home game i will be happy :jmcp:

dangermouse
27-05-2013, 09:46 AM

I hope the 2nd leg is at ER as I'm away on a family holiday on the 15th. Personally don't mind who we get as you simply cannot beat European nights at the Leith San Siro. :greengrin

Black Kyle
27-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Poznan please, been to Poland for holidays a few times.

Can't get a grip of the language though.............

Posh Swanny
27-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Motherwell did play Llanelli a few years ago but that was in the first qualifying round, which is when most of the Welsh and Irish teams come in.

Even if they win to get into the round that we're in, we'll be unseeded so it's unlikely that we'll play them.

The Q1 and Q2 draws are normally made at the same time so it will depend on how the Q1 ties are handled with regard to seedings. I'd guess that there are too many for all of them to be classed as unseeded, so there's a chance we could be drawn to play "the winners of tie X from the first round". If so, St Pat's, Linfield, Glentoran, Drogheda, Prestatyn, Airbus and Bala could all be possibilities.

There's a chance we could even draw HIBERNIANS!

hfc rd
27-05-2013, 11:39 AM
I hope the 2nd leg is at ER as I'm away on a family holiday on the 15th. Personally don't mind who we get as you simply cannot beat European nights at the Leith San Siro. :greengrin

Cheeky :)

KdyHby
27-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Was hoping for a team from the Faroes as I'll be in Unst, Shetland. Hey ho

Billy Whizz
27-05-2013, 11:47 AM

You would have thought that if we were unseeded, the 1st keg will be at ER? Is that not the way it usually works in European competitions?

Posh Swanny
27-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Just checked, and the Q1 and Q2 draws are made at the same time. From what I can tell (it's complicated), for the purposes of the draw, the seeded teams from Q1 are assumed to have qualified and are then distributed between the seeded and unseeded sides of the Q2 draw based on their coefficient. This open up the possibility of us playing a lower ranked team in Q2.

I guess if Roserborg (16.835) were drawn against Hibernians (1.541) in Q1, the winners of that tie would be a possible opponent for us because Rosenborg's high coefficient would seed them for the Q2 draw.

Billy Whizz
27-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Just checked, and the Q1 and Q2 draws are made at the same time. From what I can tell (it's complicated), for the purposes of the draw, the seeded teams from Q1 are assumed to have qualified and are then distributed between the seeded and unseeded sides of the Q2 draw based on their coefficient. This open up the possibility of us playing a lower ranked team in Q2.

I guess if Roserborg (16.835) were drawn against Hibernians (1.541) in Q1, the winners of that tie would be a possible opponent for us because Rosenborg's high coefficient would seed them for the Q2 draw.

Gives us a chance to watch our potential opponents perhaps. Is this joint draw still on the 24th June

Glory Lurker
27-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Was hoping for a team from the Faroes as I'll be in Unst, Shetland. Hey ho

Is there a transport link between Shetland and the Faroes, or would you have to stowaway on a trawler?

KdyHby
27-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Is there a transport link between Shetland and the Faroes, or would you have to stowaway on a trawler?

Lol, many a boat available, and many of the extended family up there happy for an excuse to head off elsewhere for a beer or two.

Glory Lurker
27-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Lol, many a boat available, and many of the extended family up there happy for an excuse to head off elsewhere for a beer or two.

Good stuff. I think we should prepare for the eventuality - Mikey should check if Golden Eagle do fishing boats.

trev the hat
27-05-2013, 12:50 PM
There's a chance we could even draw HIBERNIANS

Now that would be a quality draw !!!

Glory Lurker
27-05-2013, 12:55 PM
There's a chance we could even draw HIBERNIANS

Now that would be a quality draw !!!

It would maybe get some coverage, too.

One concern, though, would be that Malta's quite expensive?

NAE NOOKIE
27-05-2013, 01:08 PM

Rubin Kazan
Standard Liege
Hapoel Tel Aviv
Lech Poznan
Trabzonspor
AaB
Anorthosis
Utrecht
Maccabi Haifa
Omonia
Chornomorets Odesa
Debrecen
Hajduk Split
Red Star Belgrade
Slovan Liberec
Shakhtyor Salihorsk
Goteburg
Sturm Graz

Rosenborg
Zilina
Levski Sofia
CSKA Sofia
Videoton
Ventspils

From that list anybody from:

Standard Leige
Lech Poznan
Utrecht
Goteburg
Sturn Graz

I would fancy Trabzonspor too, but I have seen how mental they are in Turkey and I dont want to die ... even for the Hibs. The same applies to Lech Poznan, but I would probably take the chance.

Like my work will give me the time off :confused:

hibby rae
27-05-2013, 01:29 PM
It would maybe get some coverage, too.

One concern, though, would be that Malta's quite expensive?

I went to Malta about 3 years ago and didn't find it too bad. Certainly not any worse than the UK. You can fly direct with Ryanair I think as well.

LancashireHibby
27-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Could see us taking an insane number of fans to Utrecht, Liege or Poznan. One of the Cypriot or Maltese teams would be good though.

Sir David Gray
27-05-2013, 02:45 PM
I never knew that. Does that mean we were seeded against maribor last time?
A trip to cyprus or somewhere like that would be brill!

Yes we were the seeded team against Maribor.

leither17
27-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Poznan please, been to Poland for holidays a few times.

Can't get a grip of the language though.............

Kurwa means hello

LancashireHibby
27-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Kurwa means hello
Thankfully we can't play a Kenyan team.

down-the-slope
27-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Standard Liege please! Nice wee trip to Belgium. Anyone but Rubin Kazan actually.

:agree: was just about to say the same - can get there by plane / train / automobile..... and a re-visit from yesteryear.....

They would also possibly bring a reasonable support here...

PS...no where Ryan Air are the only option...they are a shower of keek......

adhibs
27-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Dying on getting away to europe with hibs. All depends on geting time of work, cost and geting a draw thats fairly easy for travel. Few obstacles but I'l be doing my best to go

happiehibbie
27-05-2013, 03:26 PM
you know what funny we get excited about a european tie against some awful teams hoping to get through. I remember watching Juve Standard liege etc etc every other season with the Tornedos oh how times have changed along with our players

CallumLaidlaw
27-05-2013, 04:45 PM
I would rather avoid any glamour ties to begin with. Give us the worst possible team please so we can get more games

hibeedonald
27-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Anyone with a bit of spare time on their hands fancy making a list of all the teams in the draw, and who will be seeded/unseeded?

:greengrin

Sir David Gray
27-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Anyone with a bit of spare time on their hands fancy making a list of all the teams in the draw, and who will be seeded/unseeded?

:greengrin

It's not a complete list, as yet.

But this page should help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013-14_UEFA_Europa_League

hibsbollah
27-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Either of the Cypriot teams, Famagusta or Nicosia in the 2nd round, then if we scrape through in the Med sunshine, St Etienne or Udinese (or Bruges) for a nice glamour tie in the 3rd. (Or if we want to have a shot at actually qualifying; Motherwell :greengrin)

pontius pilate
27-05-2013, 05:21 PM
I'd take any of the welsh/Irish/Eire teams along with the other weaker teams just to get a shot at the playoff stage. I think it's important for the club and us as fans to get a run financially and to try an sign a higher calibre of player.

jgl07
27-05-2013, 05:39 PM
I'd take any of the welsh/Irish/Eire teams along with the other weaker teams just to get a shot at the playoff stage. I think it's important for the club and us as fans to get a run financially and to try an sign a higher calibre of player.

There will be very few weak teams around with Hibs unseeded. The best draw that Hibs could hope for is someone like St Patrick's Athletic or maybe Videton. The worst could be Rubin Kazan or Standard Liège. Most likely it will be be some technically proficient Eastern European team with next to no drawing power, rather like Maribor last time out.

pontius pilate
27-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Knowing our luck that would be the way. Even if we got through to the 3rd qualifying round

hibsbollah
27-05-2013, 06:32 PM
There will be very few weak teams around with Hibs unseeded. The best draw that Hibs could hope for is someone like St Patrick's Athletic or maybe Videton. The worst could be Rubin Kazan or Standard Liège. Most likely it will be be some technically proficient Eastern European team with next to no drawing power, rather like Maribor last time out.

Not necessarily, there's some really weak looking teams even in the seeded half of the first qualifying round, who we might get paired with in the second round. The magnificently named Qarabag from Azerbaijan, Valletta of Malta, Linfield and the Faroese lads don't have a great pedigree (although some Russian billionaire oligarch will probably buy them the day after we draw them knowing our luck)...and that's just the seeded teams, remember.

To be realistic, an extended run in the competition is unlikely, so I'd rather get a glamour tie or a hot weather tie even against a difficult side, than another Dinaburg.

davhibby
27-05-2013, 07:17 PM
It looks to me that we could play a team in the 3rd tier of Austria, if they lose in their cup final. We would actually have a chance against them(you would think anyway)

Aaron
28-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Celtic, Hibernian and St Johnstone to learn European draw fate on June 24

By Grant Russell
28 May 2013 14:31 BST

Pic: SNS Group
Three of Scotland's four participants in European competition next season will find out the identity of their first opponents on June 24.

Scottish Premier League champions Celtic are the nation's sole participants in the Champions League and will be seeded as they enter at the second qualifying round stage.

Hibernian and St Johnstone will both enter the Europa League in the second qualifying round and both will be unseeded. The draw for both competitions will take place in Nyon on the same day.

Motherwell, who finished second in the SPL, enter the Europa League at the third qualifying round stage and will find out their opponents on July 19.

UEFA typically divide teams into pre-draw pots in both competitions but the composition of those is not made public until shortly before the draw takes place.

In the Champions League second qualifying round, teams are usually divided into three regional pots, meaning Celtic are more likely to face one from FH Hafnarfjardar, The New Saints, Sligo Rovers, Cliftonville, Daugava, Kalju Nomme or CS Fola Esch.

Ties in this round will be played on July 16/17 and July 23/24.

The second qualifying round draw of the Europa League also sees the 80 entrants split across eight pots of seeds and non-seeds but this is instead calculated by evenly distributing teams based on their coefficient to create groups of relative equal strength.

Prior to their potential opponents being narrowed down into these groups, both Hibernian and St Johnstone face the possibility of landing games against teams as varied as Rubin Kazan and Rosenborg down to St Patrick's Athletic and Belarusian side Shakhtior Saligorsk.

Ties in this round will be played on July 18 and July 25.

Keith_M
28-05-2013, 02:49 PM
From that list, I would love it to be Sturm Graz.

Beautiful city, very nice stadium (http://www.wendl-zt.eu/proj/094006/094006_bild_aa_03_m.jpg) and relatively easy to get to.

:thumbsup:

FromTheCapital
28-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Anorthosis or Omonia would be very good! Love a wee trip to Cyprus for a Hibs game and I think both games would be winnable. Standard Liege in Belgium would be great as well but that would be a tricky tie. :agree:

JimBHibees
28-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Is it correct the seeded teams are home for the second leg?

Looking at last years it doesnt look like that was the case?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_UEFA_Europa_League

edinburghhibee
28-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Or IFK goteborg would be a great tie to get.

pontius pilate
28-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Do we really want a hard tie for the first game to be played in Europe? Or is this just for a good day trip away? I'd take the easiest tie we can possibly get to enable us to at least progress to the play off round. I know there is no easy games but surely some of those teams are beatable.

DH1875
28-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Lech Poznan would be a good draw & Ryanair do cheap flights there from Edinburgh.

Not if we draw them in Europe they don't :greengrin.

Don't get why folk would want to play them. Would much rather a team we might actually beat and then get one of the English, French, Italian or Spanish teams :aok:.