PDA

View Full Version : midfield next season

ggth
26-05-2013, 06:07 PM
if were are to progress next season, I feel that we need an attacking midfielder, I like Claros, but he needs to work on offering a more positive attacking style of play, he slows the pace down way too much, allowing teams to regroup by offering side and back passes.

my line up would be Craig Thomson Taiwo + AN Other

Eyrie
26-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Claros is a better player for us than Thomson, and aren't you overlooking Harris?

ScottB
26-05-2013, 06:14 PM
I suspect next season will be

Craig Thomson / Claro Taiwo Harris

Then the question is whether we go 1 up front and have a more creative player sitting in front of that four, or perhaps go 3 across the back?

We do need a creative midfielder, but with defenders and Griffiths / replacement for Griffiths being the priority we might not get one...

hibee19
26-05-2013, 06:15 PM
if were are to progress next season, I feel that we need an attacking midfielder, I like Claros, but he needs to work on offering a more positive attacking style of play, he slows the pace down way too much, allowing teams to regroup by offering side and back passes.

my line up would be Craig Thomson Taiwo + AN Other

I would take either Craig Thomsons :na na:

Seriously though, I'd love Claros back and it would be Craig Claros Taiwo Harris. Can Craig play on the right? Would be good if Harris had the option to switch wings, offers a different threat from either side.

...WentToMowAnSPL
26-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Craig Thomson / Claro Taiwo Harris

OMG we've signed Craig Thomson !

Franck Stanton
26-05-2013, 06:22 PM
If rumours are to be believed we will have Tudor-Jones from ICT signed for next season, could be a direct replacement for Claros ? He is big,strong, forward-thinking player, tackles well and has had a really good season. Would certainly add some much needed height, strength and forward defence splitting passes.

Waxy
26-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Goalscoring midfielders a must

ian cruise
26-05-2013, 06:41 PM
I think we are short either a creative midfielder or a powerful goal scoring midfielder. That aside midfield looks good. Young and they will make mistakes but if we keep supporting them through the bad times this crop of youngsters will bring us many good times. And maybe even the cup.

neil7908
26-05-2013, 06:42 PM
I agree 100%. Claros and Taiwo are two of my favorite players on the books at the moment but they are just not a good combination. Along with Thomson they are all far, far too similar. Not in any way a criticism of those 3 but frankly, out of the 3 of them how my goals have they scored? We cannot rely on 1 or 2 players in the team to be scoring and creating everything.

Harris has helped a lot but needs some support in midfield. A lot will depend on who stays on over the summer but even if we keep Claros (which would delight me) I wouldn't be starting him alongside Taiwo in the middle.

Robertson may well be the man to come in and offer something going forward. Despite a poor start he now has a goal and an assist to his name. I think a big part of the issue is the area of the pitch he operates in aswell. We have no one in the centre of midfield arriving late to get on the end of crosses or picking up the clearances that drop outside the opposition box. That is something that Robertson will offer and could really help and I'm sure Craig will aswell.

Even then I would like to see us bring in another wide player to operate on the left because literally no one in the squad now can offer what Harris does.

A lot of positives for us this season but also quite a few areas that need some more work. Hopefully we can attract the right kind of player and hang on to the good ones we have.

Waxy
26-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Robertson and Craig maybe the answer to chip in with at least double figure goals between them.

LeighLoyal
26-05-2013, 06:51 PM
I hope we can keep Jorge, I thought he competed really well in there with Taiwo, we just didn't create many chances with the possession. Thomson should have been hooked earlier.

number9dream
26-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Our midfield played with dig today but simply move the ball sideways. Screaming out for a number 10. Liam Craig is direct in the Pat McGinlay mode but not going to open up defences with his passing.
Claros & Taiwo competed but KT was a passenger for much of the game.

heretoday
26-05-2013, 07:31 PM
We need someone who can penetrate defences and provide the telling pass. Not easy to find.

TAHibby
26-05-2013, 07:33 PM
We're signing referees now? Petrie!

number9dream
26-05-2013, 08:26 PM
It's obvious that David Wotherspoon has no future at Hibs after missing out on a second successive final squad.
But it's also obvious that he is a far superior player to Doyle or Handling...

hibs4thecup1988
26-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Goalscoring midfielders a must

:agree: the amount of times Claros taiwo etc had the ball near the box was scary today

Devilstorment
26-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Thats why our 4-5-1 formation doesnt work. Our midfield aren't a threat going forward.

Is KT with us next season? I would have though he would have been away to a club that can pay him? (although cant be many lining up)

I think next season we need to be careful not to over expose Harris, we have done this with a few youngsters and they have burnt too brightly too quickly (spoony for example) and ran out of steam.

Ideally we need to sign at least 1 attacking minded midfielder to put a bit of punch in to our attack. Now if we are going to be playing 4-5-1 then it needs to be a central player and we should look to not make as much use of our wings, we ideally want a ball up to the CF who should knock it on to our attacking midfield player(s). If we play a 4-4-2 then we need a winger, if we play with wingers we need 2 wingers, it wont take teams long to catch on that 80% of our balls head out to Harris, we need to be able to mix it up a bit.

thats just my opinion

Wheat Hound
26-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Williams

Andy Black
Jordan Forster
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson

Alex Harris
Scott Robertson
Tom Taiwo
Liam Craig

Ross Caldwell
Leigh Griffiths

Fergus52
26-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Claros and Taiwo have been excellent together for most of the season.

We can accomodate both of them and still offer an attacking threat if the rest of the midfield is creative/attack minded.

Fergus52
26-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Williams

Andy Black
Jordan Forster
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson

Alex Harris
Scott Robertson
Tom Taiwo
Liam Craig

Ross Caldwell
Leigh Griffiths

Not the worst XI, but I'll be hoping for a couple more signings.

Stringer
26-05-2013, 09:06 PM
We need to show more ambition going forward. I know people on here love claros but he slows everything down. I hope he goes along with Thompson. We need a number 10 so badly, hope Craig is that player.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
26-05-2013, 09:10 PM
We need a creative central midfielder. Someone with a bit of flair.

Davy Mac
26-05-2013, 09:16 PM
We need a creative central midfielder. Someone with a bit of flair.

Agreed, but Claros was tremendous today, anyone wi half a fitba brain could see he was 3 steps ahead of everyone else today.

Creative midfielders don't come cheap but i personally would like to see Claros stay.

hibee19
26-05-2013, 09:16 PM
:agree: The 'preferred' formation for a lot of successful teams right now is this 4-2-3-1, with two sitting midfielders, two wide players and an attacking midfielder to play off the striker. If we look at the CL Final you had a midfield of:

Bayern:

Schweinsteiger Martinez

Robben Mueller Ribery

Dortmund:

Bender Gundogan

Blaszczykowski Reus Grosskreutz

If Hibs are going to go with two sitting midfielders next season, be that Claros and Taiwo or another pairing altogether depending on signings, then we need to make sure we have enough creativity in other areas of the pitch to allow us to get forward and create chances. Our midfield today of (Harris) Claros, Taiwo and Thomson was too unbalanced, especially with Thomson out on the left. But with a new signing or two, it could have the makings of a decent, balanced midfield.

Claros Taiwo

Harris ??? Craig

??? has to be a new signing who can link up between the striker and the other midfielders and can contribute with a few goals himself. Alternatively, maybe Craig himself can play in that role and we can get another wide player to take the other vacant position.

I think the 4-2-3-1 works but if you lose one match a fair number of fans are calling for your head because you're too defensive despite having a fair number of attack minded players on the pitch. Then you change to two up front and lose a match and the 4-4-2 is outdated.

I like your midfield and there would be depth with the likes of Handling, Cairney, Robertson, maybe Horribine and Stanton can break into the Hibs team. Despite how I was feeling at 4.30 I dont think things look too bleak for us at all.

Devilstorment
26-05-2013, 09:41 PM
There is a reason that teams default to 4-4-2 and it mainly down to player skill. Most pub teams play 4-4-2 because it is balanced and easy to play.

Remember we are playing in the SPL so we might not be able to "just start playing" the same formation as champions league teams.

Devilstorment
26-05-2013, 09:58 PM
:agree: Of course you're right, I was just attempting to show how playing two defensive midfielders doesn't necessarily mean the team has to be set out defensively. They could also work together well in a 4-4-2, again assuming that we are able to fill the outer positions with more attacking players. Our formation might well end up coming down to who we can bring in up top, whether Griffiths goes or stays, because our strike force is certainly one area that is lacking at the moment.

Bang on!

hfc rd
26-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Williams

Andy Black
Jordan Forster
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson

Alex Harris
Scott Robertson
Tom Taiwo
Liam Craig

Ross Caldwell
Leigh Griffiths

Who is Andy Black?

Fergus52
27-05-2013, 12:26 AM
Who is Andy Black?

Young right back.

Ive never seen him but a good few posters have spoke of him in high regard.

lEXO
27-05-2013, 12:31 AM
We need someone who can penetrate defences and provide the telling pass. Not easy to find.My thoughts as well. Good ones don't come cheap