PDA

View Full Version : Leigh......

greengnome
26-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Well, a pity the wee fella couldn't go out on a high today, his time will come I hope.
I just wonder if he was carrying a wee niggle, he didn't look his usual?
If he does go back to Wolves, I would like to thank him for all he has done for the Club, and for
the joy he has given us, the supporters.
We know his heart is with Hibs, he is one of us, and I am sure we would all wish him success whatever
happens in the future....

Thank you Leigh..... :flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag: GGTTH

Eyrie
26-05-2013, 06:04 PM
He's been our top player this season, so let's hope that we can reach a deal with Wolves.

greengnome
26-05-2013, 06:11 PM
He's been our top player this season, so let's hope that we can reach a deal with Wolves.

One hopes.... :agree:

cabbageandribs1875
26-05-2013, 06:14 PM
hopefully at least another full season ahead at ER

TomoHFC
26-05-2013, 06:16 PM
BTW he can reject wolves contract offer. They not allowed to force someone into signing a contract

Kenny1875
26-05-2013, 06:22 PM
BTW he can reject wolves contract offer. They not allowed to force someone into signing a contract

He already signed it a couple of years ago....

TomoHFC
26-05-2013, 06:24 PM
He already signed it a couple of years ago....

What the contract to stay with them for another season

Sir David Gray
26-05-2013, 06:27 PM

He signed a contract agreeing that he would be with Wolves for 2.5 years and also that if Wolves wanted, they could activate another year on his contract. He hasn't signed another deal, because he hasn't needed to. Wolves have simply taken up the agreement that was in place when he signed his original deal with them in January 2011.

weonlywon6-2
26-05-2013, 06:41 PM
It was up to Wolves to take up that option, not LG.

They have only done that so they can get money for him.

Dont be surprised if he is at Easter Road next year:thumbsup:

GreenCastle
26-05-2013, 06:48 PM
He will be back :agree:

Obviously wasn't fully fit today after the knock in training.

Didn't help when he twisted early on in the game and the rest of the game you could see his body language he was struggling.

A top player who has made watching Hibs this season much more enjoyable than previous years plus that derby screamer :greengrin

OsloHibs
26-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Had humungous lump in the throat when he went around the fans at the end.

Thank you Leigh for everything :not worth

mmmmhibby
26-05-2013, 09:54 PM
the wee man will be back at ER banging them in next season fi aw over the shot, mark my words!!

Jonnyboy
26-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Just a shame that when he was subbed a d!ck a few rows back from me roared at him to tell him to eff off because he was a lazy C who'd done nothing today and had been *****e all season. The guys was apoplectic with rage but was shouted down by folk around him and told to shut the eff up. The stuff he shouted would be better suited to a Jambo so maybe he should bugger off and watch them in future.

There, I feel better now :greengrin

Sir David Gray
26-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Just a shame that when he was subbed a d!ck a few rows back from me roared at him to tell him to eff off because he was a lazy C who'd done nothing today and had been *****e all season. The guys was apoplectic with rage but was shouted down by folk around him and told to shut the eff up. The stuff he shouted would be better suited to a Jambo so maybe he should bugger off and watch them in future.

There, I feel better now :greengrin

Seriously? :confused:

Take it this person was under the influence of something?

Jonnyboy
26-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Seriously? :confused:

Take it this person was under the influence of something?

Seriously aye. Couldn't believe what I was hearing! Not sure if he was bevvied or not but he'd have to have drunk enough to poison himself to come out with that *****e!

Sir David Gray
26-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Seriously aye. Couldn't believe what I was hearing! Not sure if he was bevvied or not but he'd have to have drunk enough to poison himself to come out with that *****e!

I was thinking more along the lines of an illegal substance.

I don't think any Hibs fan could even contemplate saying that to Leigh Griffiths after his contribution this season, if all they had consumed was alcohol.

Devilstorment
26-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Probably one of the fans who just come out for cup finals so had no idea about Leigh's contribution this season.

FranckSuzy
26-05-2013, 10:25 PM
According to someone behind us today 'Claros is *****e' :rolleyes:. The mind boggles, it really does.

Baader
26-05-2013, 10:25 PM
I'd soon forget the disappointment of today if Hibs announced next week we'd signed Leigh! Would more than make up for today..,

Jonnyboy
26-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Probably one of the fans who just come out for cup finals so had no idea about Leigh's contribution this season.

Sadly not. I recognised this guy and have seen him in and around ER for the last few seasons.

I've an idea - if he's reading this and I think he might just - maybe he could explain his views on Leigh so that we can debate them with him

Devilstorment
26-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Someone next to me was having a go at Maybury called him useless

I said "pat that's no way to talk about your player now"

Jonnyboy
26-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Someone next to me was having a go at Maybury called him useless

I said "pat that's no way to talk about your player now"

:greengrin

adhibs
26-05-2013, 10:29 PM
was clear he was struggling today but a hibs legend already. would be delighted to see him back next season

Borderhibbie76
27-05-2013, 07:07 AM
Anyone abusing griffiths should be banned from ER next season, disgusting!! The guy is for me a hibs legend and it would ease the pain of yest for me if we announced his signing this week....what a way to lift everyone spirits that would be? As an aside saw the "cup final fans" skulking off when 3rd goal went it....these people p%%% me right off and deny genuine fans a ticket....i was in front of 2 who didnt even kno who half the team were???

Beefster
27-05-2013, 07:12 AM

There was about 11,000 fans there who just come out for cup finals and most of them were a credit to the club so I wouldn't be dismissing them all because of one erse (who appears to be a regular anyway).

Devilstorment
27-05-2013, 08:20 AM
There was about 11,000 fans there who just come out for cup finals and most of them were a credit to the club so I wouldn't be dismissing them all because of one erse (who appears to be a regular anyway).

I don't think my posted did

bingo70
27-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Guy behind me was saying the same about Griffiths, ****ing useless apparently and good riddance if he leaves.

Also was going raj at Doyle for being the laziest player he'd ever seen, for all Doyle's faults, being lazy is certainly not something he can be accused of.

Why is it people that know **** all need to verbalize every stupid thought that comes into their head? If you don't know about something, which this guy clearly never, shut the **** up!

Hibbyradge
27-05-2013, 08:33 AM
When Wolves signed LG they were in the Premiership.

Although he won't be on top EPL wages, surely they won't want to keep paying his contract when they're in the third tier?

If Leigh wants to stay at Hibs, I think he will.

FWIW, I think we'll sign him on a 3 year deal and punt him halfway through, thereby achieving the highest possible fee which will be split 3 (unequal) ways between Hibs, Wolves and Leigh.

blackpoolhibs
27-05-2013, 08:53 AM
I know this wont be popular, but Fenlon and sparky need to take a good look at themselves this

morning. Griffiths was clearly injured. and while I understand a player wanting to play in the final, he was struggling very early into the game. For the benefit of the team he should have been subbed after 20 minutes.

Now we still would have lost, but having 2 up front who could shut down instead of only 1, would have given us a much better chance, and given the rest of the team a chance to push up and support.

Yes the goals we gave away were poor, but keeping a clearly injured player on for so long was ridiculous.

number9dream
27-05-2013, 09:15 AM
That looked very much like a farewell from LG at the end.
If Owen Coyle takes over at Wolves, as suggested by newspapers, he might fancy keeping him on.
Wolves will have a lot of guys on bigger wages to clear out.
LG

GreenOnions
27-05-2013, 09:26 AM
I know this wont be popular, but Fenlon and sparky need to take a good look at themselves this

morning. Griffiths was clearly injured. and while I understand a player wanting to play in the final, he was struggling very early into the game. For the benefit of the team he should have been subbed after 20 minutes.

Now we still would have lost, but having 2 up front who could shut down instead of only 1, would have given us a much better chance, and given the rest of the team a chance to push up and support.

Yes the goals we gave away were poor, but keeping a clearly injured player on for so long was ridiculous.

I know what you're saying about Leigh's restricted ability to perform yesterday but the "two up front" bit I don't really agree with.

We played with two up front for about the first 35 minutes yesterday. It was a brave move by Pat but, IMHO - and with hindsight, it was a mistake. I think he acknowledged that himself when he changed it and put Doyle out wide left and we went 4-5-1 not long before half-time.

Maybe being bold like that was the right move at the start and if one of our early chances had gone in things would have been different. However, Celtic began really exploiting our lack of width on the left in the first half and it was dragging our midfield all over the place - particularly Thomson.

I think Pat had no option but to move to 4-5-1 and perhaps should have started that way given that Celtic have strength in wide areas. The presence of Harris certainly restricted Izaguire in the first half. If Lustig and Forrest had been required to deal with Doyle as well as McGivern then I feel we may have been more solid in the first half.

As to whether or not Griffiths should have stayed on - who knows. I certainly felt that, once you go 4-5-1, you need one of the central midfield 3 to be more forward thinking than our trio. Perhaps Robertson should have come on to replace one of them and played in behind Griffiths or a replacement for him?

grunt
27-05-2013, 09:29 AM
That looked very much like a farewell from LG at the end.
That's what I thought, him thanking the fans on his own, apart from the rest of the team.

DH1875
27-05-2013, 03:13 PM
was clear he was struggling today but a hibs legend already. would be delighted to see him back next season

Def wasn't 100% fit.
Doubt he'll be at ER next season as Owen Coyle is getting the Wolves job.

blackpoolhibs
27-05-2013, 03:25 PM
I know what you're saying about Leigh's restricted ability to perform yesterday but the "two up front" bit I don't really agree with.

We played with two up front for about the first 35 minutes yesterday. It was a brave move by Pat but, IMHO - and with hindsight, it was a mistake. I think he acknowledged that himself when he changed it and put Doyle out wide left and we went 4-5-1 not long before half-time.

Maybe being bold like that was the right move at the start and if one of our early chances had gone in things would have been different. However, Celtic began really exploiting our lack of width on the left in the first half and it was dragging our midfield all over the place - particularly Thomson.

I think Pat had no option but to move to 4-5-1 and perhaps should have started that way given that Celtic have strength in wide areas. The presence of Harris certainly restricted Izaguire in the first half. If Lustig and Forrest had been required to deal with Doyle as well as McGivern then I feel we may have been more solid in the first half.

As to whether or not Griffiths should have stayed on - who knows. I certainly felt that, once you go 4-5-1, you need one of the central midfield 3 to be more forward thinking than our trio. Perhaps Robertson should have come on to replace one of them and played in behind Griffiths or a replacement for him?

You are right, and Doyle and Harris tried to support Griffiths when possible, but it really never happened because Griffiths couldnt get about the park to hold any ball played up to him. When playing 4-5-1 the man up top has to be mobile.

Fenlon should have hooked him very early, we handed their back 4 an easy ride. Yes we made mistakes for their goals, but we played with 10 men yesterday, how Fenlon never spotted this is beyond me? :rolleyes:

Devilstorment
27-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Wolves have unloaded Ebans-Blake and Stephen Hunt who will no doubt have been high earners.

Leigh in comparison will be a much lower earner. I hope when Leigh signed for the potential year extension at wolves discretion, then there was a pay rise for Leigh. As wolves would/should only take the option if he was doing well and thus should be due a pay rise.

... if thats the case then maybe they will want to cash in on him

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-05-2013, 03:51 PM
I hope to **** im wrong but that looked like a goodbye from him yesterday at the end of the game. If it was then, thank you for the memories Leigh, always welcome back to ER! GGTTH

hibee19
27-05-2013, 05:37 PM
I know we all want Leigh back but even if we can find the money it'll be about all the money we have. We learned this year he can't do it all on his own. I hope one day though hes back where he belongs.

pontius pilate
27-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Interesting to read on here people reckon that Owen could will get the wolves job but sky news reckons Kenny jacket is the huge favourite. I reckon we will know the new manager by the end of the week. Could wolves rip up the contract extension if and it's a big IF the manager doesn't rate Leigh highly enough?

Gus Fring
27-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Leighs future isn't sealed yet, hence the goodbye yesterday, he was taking his opportunity because as it stands he's playing for wolves next season. That doesn't mean that Hibs aren't still working on securing his services and trying to do a deal with Wolves, though. Leigh still wants to play for Hibs, Hibs still want Leigh. Wolves are the sticking point in all of this.

pontius pilate
27-05-2013, 06:14 PM
But could the new manager rip up the contract extension if he doesn't rate sparky?

hibee19
27-05-2013, 06:22 PM
But could the new manager rip up the contract extension if he doesn't rate sparky?

Wolves should rip up the new managers contract if he doesn't rate sparky.

pontius pilate
27-05-2013, 06:37 PM
My thoughts as well but if it is Kenny jacket he may have players in mind

DH1875
27-05-2013, 07:36 PM
My thoughts as well but if it is Kenny jacket he may have players in mind

If it's Owen Coyle there's no chance he'll let Leigh go.

YehButNoBut
28-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Saw this re Derby interest in Johnny Russell, if he is worth around £900k how much does this make Sparky worth, will we be priced out the market for him??

Inside the SPL ‏@AgentScotland Derby County have made an offer for Johnny Russell, not been able to verify the price yet but heard its around the £900,000 mark

BOB MARLEYS DUG
28-05-2013, 02:29 PM
A few rumours going around on Twitter that Ipswich have offered Wolves 250k for Leigh. Mick McCarthy is the manager down there and he signed him at Wolves, so wouldn't surprise me if this was true.

BH Hibs
28-05-2013, 02:49 PM
A few rumours going around on Twitter that Ipswich have offered Wolves 250k for Leigh. Mick McCarthy is the manager down there and he signed him at Wolves, so wouldn't surprise me if this was true.

The same Mick McCarthy that didn't play him at Wolves. I'm sure Sparky would tell him to bolt

BOB MARLEYS DUG
28-05-2013, 03:19 PM
The same Mick McCarthy that didn't play him at Wolves. I'm sure Sparky would tell him to bolt

I hope he does, but you never know.

Keith_M
28-05-2013, 03:22 PM

Not if there's money to be had by selling him for a fee.

JimBHibees
28-05-2013, 03:24 PM

McCarthy would have bought him at Wolves for the future not when he was manager. He will know his capabilities and realise he would score goals in the Championship.

JimBHibees
28-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Interesting to read on here people reckon that Owen could will get the wolves job but sky news reckons Kenny jacket is the huge favourite. I reckon we will know the new manager by the end of the week. Could wolves rip up the contract extension if and it's a big IF the manager doesn't rate Leigh highly enough?

Why would he do that? If he didnt rate him and to be honest I would be amazed if a new manager didnt at least want to see him in training and assess him then he will simply sell him to the highest bidder.

truehibernian
28-05-2013, 03:30 PM

I kind of know what you are saying BH but there is/was also the psycholigical aspect of things to consider, so I absolve both Pat and Leigh of any 'blame'.

Leigh maybe picked up a wee knock and perhaps the player himself thought the adrenalin of the day and the occasion would see him through just right. But I also remember vividly Scott Brown being left out of the SC semi (despite the rumours he had made it) and Tony Mowbray's pre-match interview and demeanour - his tone set the mood for the day - I think he knew we'd lose before a ball was kicked and that disappointment that Scott hadn't made it then worked it's way into the fans mood that day.

A 3/4 fit Leigh would not only have been a threat, set pieces especially, but would also have lifted the fans who in turn get right behind the side. A difficult call but the right one for me - purely because of Leigh's threats as a player and his football ability.

Saying that, if all our strikers were injured and we had a choice between Shefki Kuqi and a beaten up looking three piece suite left outside in the rain all night, the suite would always get the nod - purely down to pace :greengrin

Bad Habits
28-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Rumours about Ipswich bidding £250,000 for Leigh