PDA

View Full Version : Question Minute's Applause or Silence

Eyemouth Hibby
24-05-2013, 08:31 PM
I was wondering if anyone thought that there should possibly be a minute's applause or silence for the soldier Lee Rigby before the cup final? Would that be appropriate and does anyone know if the SFA have considered it? I'd like to see a minute's applause personally in what's been a terrible week for the UK. Sorry for the non hibs related post if you like, it just crossed my mind and I was wondering what others thought?

adhibs
24-05-2013, 08:31 PM
No

Saorsa
24-05-2013, 08:33 PM
I was wondering if anyone thought that there should possibly be a minute's applause or silence for the soldier Lee Rigby before the cup final? Would that be appropriate and does anyone know if the SFA have considered it? I'd like to see a minute's applause personally in what's been a terrible week for the UK. Sorry for the non hibs related post if you like, it just crossed my mind and I was wondering what others thought?No.

Hiber-nation
24-05-2013, 08:35 PM
The circumstances were awful but we can't have a minute's applause for every person murdered.

H18sry
24-05-2013, 08:36 PM
It would be folly to even attempt it given Celtc's history when it comes to our armed services.

clerriehibs
24-05-2013, 08:36 PM
No.

Andy74
24-05-2013, 08:37 PM
I was wondering if anyone thought that there should possibly be a minute's applause or silence for the soldier Lee Rigby before the cup final? Would that be appropriate and does anyone know if the SFA have considered it? I'd like to see a minute's applause personally in what's been a terrible week for the UK. Sorry for the non hibs related post if you like, it just crossed my mind and I was wondering what others thought?

Eh, naw.

Jonnyboy
24-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Best avoided as a recipe for disaster otherwise

easty
24-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Nope.

clerriehibs
24-05-2013, 08:38 PM
It would be folly to even attempt it given Celtc's history when it comes to our armed services.

Celtc have probably lost more of their players/supporters in armed conflict on "our" side than we have.

pontius pilate
24-05-2013, 09:06 PM
There's a post doing the rounds on Facebook about this for the champ league final. As an ex forces gadge and given the circumstances surrounding the callous actions I would have to say no as it gives Them a platform and as some have said given smeltics view of our forces personnel it would only end one way.

wookie70
24-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Hopefully not as it has nothing to do with the game.

Golden Bear
24-05-2013, 09:17 PM
For so many reasons - NO.

LancashireHibby
24-05-2013, 09:21 PM
There's going to be a minute's silence before all of the Super League games this weekend, but given the history of Celtc fans, I'm not sure it would be a good idea. Sad, but true.

Baldy Foghorn
24-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Soldiers die on "duty" fairly often, and nothing has been done in respect for them. Whilst the incident in Woolwich was horrific, there is no need for any silence/applause....(Not trying to sound callous, but where would it end?)

Mister P
24-05-2013, 09:33 PM
have to echo all the sentiments above....no!

as much as I think its a respectfull gesture, it has nothing to do with the sport. and as others say above it would give some of the well known Septic fans the opportunity to do what they do best.

hibee19
24-05-2013, 11:22 PM
Yes there should be, we should stand together against terrorism however Celtic have the ****miest fans in Scottish football and I wouldn't like to give them a chance to display their ****miness

stoneyburn hibs
24-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Celtc have probably lost more of their players/supporters in armed conflict on "our" side than we have.

What an an arsy comment, naw to the op

Jack
24-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Yes.

Andy74
24-05-2013, 11:47 PM
Princess Di has a lot to answer for.

jgl07
25-05-2013, 12:35 AM
Princess Di has a lot to answer for.

All the players needed to do was to bang into the tunnel on their way to the pitch!

Phil D. Rolls
25-05-2013, 03:31 AM
Yes there should be, we should stand together against terrorism however Celtic have the ****miest fans in Scottish football and I wouldn't like to give them a chance to display their ****miness

I'm not a Celtic fan. I'm against terrorism. No.

Eyemouth Hibby
25-05-2013, 09:04 AM
As I say it was just something that crossed my mind. Consensus seems to be a no so fair enough, good points put across in a decent way - Hibs class as they say. Thanks for nobody having a pop at the idea of this thread as well. Hopefully Hibs will show plenty of this lad's obvious fighting spirit and we'll bring the cup home tomorrow night. It would be a momentous end to a week that's been pretty hard to stomach. Cheers

Pretty Boy
25-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Not for me.

If one was organise I would obviously respect it but I certainly wouldn't join calls for one.

Vini1875
25-05-2013, 09:44 AM
No and the reason has nothing to do with celtc. Someone dies or is murdered every day. We all have different views on the role of the army, but comemoration of this sort ought to be done away from football grounds by those who feel they want to pay respects and not be forced on the community at large. I think only people who have been involved in football ought to have some sort of silence/applause in football stadia.

Most people on here seem to want to keep politics out of football and yet here it is.

Hibercelona
25-05-2013, 09:47 AM
I thought we were trying to keep politics out of football?

We can't have it one way, but not another. Let's just keep the politics away from the stadiums.

poolman
25-05-2013, 09:58 AM
with all due respect it's a big no

Paisley Hibby
25-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Not for me.

If one was organise I would obviously respect it but I certainly wouldn't join calls for one.

This :agree:

FranckSuzy
25-05-2013, 12:59 PM
I think the best way for people who wish to pay their respects would be to make a donation to Help for Hereos. Football is not the place IMHO.

Cabbage East
25-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Of course not. A fishmonger from nearby died this week, should we have a minutes silence for him too? This is nothing to do with football.

Johnny Clash
25-05-2013, 01:24 PM
It's just not appropriate.

What happened in Woolwich was truly horrific but sadly there are horrific events in this country and abroad all the time.

I don't think it's right to single out tragic events like this - no matter how stomach churning they are.