PDA

View Full Version : 1985/86 cup games against Celtic

Lester B
24-05-2013, 02:38 PM
I was too young for seven nil and away for the six two so whenever anyone asks me the best game I've ever seen I always say it was either of the two cup games against Celtic in the mid eighties. 4-3 and 4-4. Anyone else remember those games as fondly as me?

YehButNoBut
24-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Was the 4-3 game the one where Eddie May scored the winner a great match.

Think the 4-4 was when we won on pens with O'Leary skying it for them, giving us a win. :thumbsup:

JimBHibees
24-05-2013, 02:40 PM
I was too young for seven nil and away for the six two so whenever anyone asks me the best game I've ever seen I always say it was either of the two cup games against Celtic in the mid eighties. 4-3 and 4-4. Anyone else remember those games as fondly as me?

Yep it was fantastic. We had a decent team at the time with Durie and Cowan up front. Can remember Hibs being 3-2 up with 10 to go in the 4-3 game and surprise, surprise the ref played them a get out of jail soft pen only for Eddie May to score the winner soon after. Great atmospheres at both.

JimBHibees
24-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Was the 4-3 game the one where Eddie May scored the winner a great match.

Think the 4-4 was when we won on pens with O'Leary skying it for them, giving us a win. :thumbsup:

Yep thats the one.

Lester B
24-05-2013, 02:44 PM
The penalties were taken in front of the old cowshed. I swear O'Leary hit his right over the heads of my old man and I. Cue massive YESSS! Happy days!

suavegav
24-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Yeah, I was at both games, with my step-dad who is a Jambo. He was constantly trying to get me to change to the the yams (I was 14-15 at the time). After these two games he considered becoming I hibby after 2 brilliant games.
I preferred the 4-3 game, I remember all the tic fans invading the pitch at the end, they couldn't believe they had lost. Magnificent cross from Colin Harris for the winner. I hope another Harris can set up the winner on Sunday.

LeighLoyal
24-05-2013, 02:52 PM
I was at the semi and the replay vs them in 95 at Greyskull, all I remember is Leighton's penalty save in the first game and Collins scoring for them at the replay.

VPHIBEE
24-05-2013, 07:54 PM

Me too, great games. Bring on the soap dodgers!

Keith_M
24-05-2013, 08:01 PM
I remember speaking to a Tic fan on the bus home (4-3 game) and he said that, although he was dissapointed at losing, it was one of the best games of football he'd ever had the priviledge to attend.

hibs0666
24-05-2013, 08:02 PM

Yup - 4-4 was the best game I've seen. One Pearce O'Leary :thumbsup:

Waxy
24-05-2013, 08:11 PM
I was too young for seven nil and away for the six two so whenever anyone asks me the best game I've ever seen I always say it was either of the two cup games against Celtic in the mid eighties. 4-3 and 4-4. Anyone else remember those games as fondly as me?Yep i was 15/16 at these games.was in the cooshed at the league cup match.
standing in the east terrace for the SC game.
We all went a bit berzerk at the winner.First and only time we've beaten them in the cup since 190you know when.

Skol
24-05-2013, 08:46 PM
The penalties were taken in front of the old cowshed. I swear O'Leary hit his right over the heads of my old man and I. Cue massive YESSS! Happy days!

You mustve been sat in front of me - the one and only time I went behind the goals - no idea why - but what a night

Torto7062
24-05-2013, 10:05 PM

ffs I was looking on the net last night for photos from these two games....they were the two games that
made my blood turn green for life. anyone got any

GGTTH

madabouthibs
24-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Two brilliant nights, pitch invasions the lot. i was in the cowshed, if I remember rightly the East wasn't open for the Skol Cup game because of the East shed being built?

AFKA5814_Hibs
24-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Hibs were poor in the league but had 2 great Cup runs. Lost 5-0 to Celtc at ER the Saturday after the 4-4 game.

Celtc won the league that season, seem to remember they won it on the last day...

Peevemor
24-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Two brilliant nights, pitch invasions the lot. i was in the cowshed, if I remember rightly the East wasn't open for the Skol Cup game because of the East shed being built?

I think that's probably right. IIRC I was on the (mobbed) terracing for the 4-3 and the old North stand for the 4-4.

ballengeich
24-05-2013, 10:30 PM

There's still a reward out for return of the ball (last seen in St Clair Street). What a night!

poolman
24-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Was speaking to one of my best mates at teatime tonight, we were having Friday libation, he's a diehard Yam but actually hopes we win on Sunday

Reason : he would rather see us win than one of the ugly sisters

Good on him

Nomeancity
24-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Yep it was fantastic. We had a decent team at the time with Durie and Cowan up front. Can remember Hibs being 3-2 up with 10 to go in the 4-3 game and surprise, surprise the ref played them a get out of jail soft pen only for Eddie May to score the winner soon after. Great atmospheres at both.

Durie and Cowan best I've seen. Always guaranteed a few goals. I can't understand how little hibs fans reminisce about this forward line, they were brilliant. My dad started me on hibs games early 70's so can't really remember that great team, so after fat ally McLeod these 2 were the best goalscorers I have seen for hibs. Dare I say that the 2 of them together were more potent than super leigh.

YehButNoBut
25-05-2013, 09:50 AM
The 4-4 was one of my best memories of watching Hibs, the place went mental when O'Leary skyed that penalty. :thumbsup:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/classic-match-hibs-4-celtic-4-hibs-win-4-3-on-pens-september-4-1985-1-1258759

YehButNoBut
25-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Found this report as well on the 4-3 game didn't know Eddie currently coaching for Rangers U15's.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/scottish-cup-classics-eddie-may-recalls-thriller-1-2938756