PDA

View Full Version : Pat Fenlon press conference - team news: McPake out

Gus Fring
24-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Just started,

He's just said McPake won't make it.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/celtic/226712-live-pat-fenlon-and-neil-lennons-scottish-cup-final-media-conference/

MB62
24-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Just started,

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/celtic/226712-live-pat-fenlon-and-neil-lennons-scottish-cup-final-media-conference/

Excellent. our chances get better and better :thumbsup:

Dalkeith
24-05-2013, 02:25 PM

No mcpake on sunday

Billy Whizz
24-05-2013, 02:26 PM

That's not the attitude we need on here

Westie1875
24-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Just started,

Gutting for McPake but Pat needs to put his health and the good of the team first.

You have to wonder though why he is saying this now instead of leaving Celtic guessing?

The Sea-gull
24-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Just started,

Is saying McPake definitely won't make it a full two days in advance of the game a bit of a mistake?

Now gives Celtic the chance to concentrate on bullying tactics on Forster as they are likely to see an inexperienced centre half as a weak link on the big stage.

At least if we had kept them guessing it might have meant they would have had to work on a couple of different plans.

Phil MaGlass
24-05-2013, 02:28 PM
No mcpake on sunday

Its a shame for the lad, but we do have adequate back up in Forster

GERINTAETHUM.

CA Hibby
24-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Who says its Forster and not Clancy or even Mcgivern

Sergio sledge
24-05-2013, 02:32 PM

I think the poster expressed a feeling that most of us have had, but perhaps not in the best way. McPake hasn't been in good form, probably due to injury and if he is still in that form then we're better going with Forster. However if he is fully fit then he'd be in the team IMHO.

Gutted for McPake though, he almost single handedly galvanised the fans last season and over the summer and is a big influence and factor in the attitude the team has shown in this season compared to last.

MB62
24-05-2013, 02:33 PM

Eh! :confused:

lord bunberry

Is that really necessary

Dalkeith
Forster might not play we could put mcgivern into centre and lewis at left back

JimBHibees
24-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Should be a big incentive for the players to win the cup for their captain.

Billy Whizz
24-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Eh! :confused:

I just thought it was poor show rejoicing in the fact that our Captain wouldn't make it

500miles
24-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Is saying McPake definitely won't make it a full two days in advance of the game a bit of a mistake?

Now gives Celtic the chance to concentrate on bullying tactics on Forster as they are likely to see an inexperienced centre half as a weak link on the big stage.

At least if we had kept them guessing it might have meant they would have had to work on a couple of different plans.

I think he's hoping that they will try and bully Forster. If they want to turn it into a kicking match, young Forster seems well prepared for that.

YehButNoBut
24-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Can't believe Forster will not play he's been outstanding in the last 3 games and Pat will have know that McPake was struggling so would be giving Forster games to get him ready.

He's a cert to start IMO. :agree:

The Sea-gull
24-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Forsrer might noy play we could put mcgivern into centre and lewis at left back

Yeah, I mentioned this as an option the other day. Not sure I can see it though as he has not really experimented with it recently so might not want to take a chance on the day.

Feel we lose something a bit when McGivern is not at LB as he did link well with Harris in a couple of games, esp last time out at Hampden. That's not to say that Stevenson is not a capable left back and McGivern isn't a decent enough option for CB but just feel with MvGivern having played the majority of his games for Hibs at left back then this is where he should play if he plays in the final.

AL-Qaholik
24-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Alastair Lamont on Twitter saying McPake is definitely out of the final.
Might be a blessing in disguise!
Just hope Forster handles the occasion.
I reckon he will!

The Sea-gull
24-05-2013, 02:40 PM

An added incentive maybe but I reckon as pround professionals they'll want to win it for themselves first and foremost, not to mention the manager and the fans.

Treadstone
Gutting for McPake but Pat needs to put his health and the good of the team first.

You have to wonder though why he is saying this now instead of leaving Celtic guessing?

I remember Wenger announcing Bergkamp wouldn't play against Newcastle in 1998 FA cup final twenty four hours before the match. He gave the reason as saying he didn't want Newcastle to get a boost immediately before the match when they heard the line-ups.

MB62
Is that really necessary

why not? In my opinion it's good news from a team selection point of view. This is a discussion forum where people give their various opinions and I gave mine. If others are disappointed at the news they are entitled to say so.

JimBHibees
24-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Alastair Lamont on Twitter saying McPake is definitely out of the final.
Might be a blessing in disguise!
Just hope Forster handles the occasion.
I reckon he will!

Not a surprise given his demeanour last week at the lap of honour. Shame for the guy as must be gutting, now up to the players to cheer him up by winning the thing for him.

Col2
24-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Big blow and especially for the big man himself. He will be gutted. However he can still play a big big part and help this team believe in destiny. He can help the young lad Foster and help lead the team prior to kick off.

If we do it I would expect James to be at the forefront of the cup presentation!

S4uzee
24-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Big loss imo

YehButNoBut
24-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Big blow and especially for the big man himself. He will be gutted. However he can still play a big big part and help this team believe in destiny. He can help the young lad Foster and help lead the team prior to kick off.

If we do it I would expect James to be at the forefront of the cup presentation!

Would love to see him do a "John Terry" with him in the Hibs strip when we finally lift the cup. :pray:

JimBHibees
24-05-2013, 02:46 PM
An added incentive maybe but I reckon as pround professionals they'll want to win it for themselves first and foremost, not to mention the manager and the fans.

I am clutching at any straw at the moment. :greengrin

MB62
24-05-2013, 02:47 PM
I just thought it was poor show rejoicing in the fact that our Captain wouldn't make it

Not exactly rejoicing BW, just happy that a player I see as a liability will not make the line up, which IMO, improves our chances of winning the cup.
Nothing against James in the slightest, just didn't want to see him lead us out on Sunday.

Anyway, time for the off now and start the build up towards Sunday for me.

GGTTH

:flag: :flag: :flag:

coco22
24-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Not a surprise given his demeanour last week at the lap of honour. Shame for the guy as must be gutting, now up to the players to cheer him up by winning the thing for him.

Gutted for him if true. Even being part of the squad would given him rewards for his desire to right previous wrongs butno part will be sickening for him. Am sure he'll come back stronger nxt year but feel for him.

On a positive note, great 'replacement' in forster.

easty
24-05-2013, 02:48 PM

Pathetic.

With 'fans' like you who'd need enemies/rivals.

I'll not pretend I'm gutted he'll miss out, as I don't think someone who hasn't played in a while should be thrown back into a cup final, but to respond like you did is unneccesary. Surely the least we can do is support the club captain in the build up to a cup final for ****s sake.

Just my opinion, as you say this is a discussion forum where people can have them.

Vault Boy
24-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Gutted for James, the only positive that comes from this is that the selection problem between he and Forster has been made for Pat, nothing else. McPake gives everything for us and he's a good defender just suffering from some fitness issues, by no means is it a good thing he's out. I'm sure Jordon will cope just fine though.

Dalkeith
24-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I mentioned this as an option the other day. Not sure I can see it though as he has not really experimented with it recently so might not want to take a chance on the day.

Feel we lose something a bit when McGivern is not at LB as he did link well with Harris in a couple of games, esp last time out at Hampden. That's not to say that Stevenson is not a capable left back and McGivern isn't a decent enough option for CB but just feel with MvGivern having played the majority of his games for Hibs at left back then this is where he should play if he plays in the final.

Agree with you i would be leaving the back as it was, i'm sure young lad can deal with anything they throw at him.

24-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Not a loss defensively IMO, but perhaps motivationally.

KT should hopefully be able to pick up the slack there though.

My_Wife_Camille
24-05-2013, 02:50 PM
why not? In my opinion it's good news from a team selection point of view. This is a discussion forum where people give their various opinions and I gave mine. If others are disappointed at the news they are entitled to say so.
Billy Whizz didn't say anything about your opinion. It was your attitude that he thought was the problem and I agree. Who needs enemies when we have supporters like you:rolleyes:

rcarter1
24-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Its a blow for McPake, but no danger would an unfit player be right for a Final. I hope James helps out with the squad, and goes on to recover his health and form for next season. His rep has been battered - probably harshly - for months.

Intrigued now what the line up will be...

:pfgwa

Stevie Reid
24-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Not a loss defensively IMO, but perhaps motivationally.

KT should hopefully be able to pick up the slack there though.

Thomson is doubtful too, apparently. Heard from a mate, his mate in turn is friends with KT, and no reason to doubt him.

Would be a much bigger blow than McPake IMO, and added to that (though I am happy that Forster is likely to play), would be most unfortunate.

Hopefully he will make it, though I've been surprised that he hasn't been injured before now, given his previous.

Bad Martini
24-05-2013, 02:55 PM
We need all the help we can get. Why tell the opposition ANYTHING any sooner than is absolutely necessary???

Tell them **** all!!

gorgie greens
24-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Would not be surprised if we see James in our starting line up on Sunday,how many times did Alex Fergusson do this,it's all trying to get one up on the other manager and keep him in the dark,hate the negative crap people say about guys who pull on a Hibs jersey,one thing you can't say about James is he never gives less than 100% every time he pulls on a jersey and that will do for me
GGTTH

Spike Mandela
24-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Would not be surprised if we see James in our starting line up on Sunday,how many times did Alex Fergusson do this,it's all trying to get one up on the other manager and keep him in the dark,hate the negative crap people say about guys who pull on a Hibs jersey,one thing you can't say about James is he never gives less than 100% every time he pulls on a jersey and that will do for me
GGTTH

:agree:Exactly. I see no reason why Pat would announce this so soon. Mindgames I hope.:cb

banarc7062
24-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Aye, but what about us long suffering fans. We want and need this one. :flag:

matty_f
24-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Disappointed. Big opportunity for Forster though. :agree:

Hope the captain is fit again soon, and that he still makes use of the leadership qualities in the dressing room .

Lift the cup, James.

LeighLoyal
24-05-2013, 03:07 PM
I'd have put Harris on the left and play Spoon on the right anyway. Just me likesay.

MagicSwirlingShip
24-05-2013, 03:31 PM
I feel sorry for Mcpake, he will be gutted.

But it's not as if we don't have anyone suitable to stand in. Time for Jordan Forster to step up and become a legend :thumbsup:

YehButNoBut
24-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Pat's press conference is on this STV link

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/hibernian/226732-hibs-boss-pat-fenlon-full-pre-scottish-cup-final-media-conference/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

hibby rae
24-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Gutted for McPake. I don't think we would have made the progress we have without him. I say the BBC are reporting that Forrest and Mulgrew both have to pass fitness tests. Here's hoping they don't or at the very least play but aren't a 100%.

YehButNoBut
24-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Gutted for McPake. I don't think we would have made the progress we have without him. I say the BBC are reporting that Forrest and Mulgrew both have to pass fitness tests. Here's hoping they don't or at the very least play but aren't a 100%.

Celtic already missing Wanyama and Kayal they will miss both so if Forrest & Mulgrew have also got fitness doubts it all helps our case, hopefully Brown also feeling his injury and could do with someone testing him early doors. :greengrin

TAHibby
24-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Gutted for him, but if he's not fully fit then you have to say it is the correct decision and not worth the risk. Guys like him around the team are the reason we are in the final again so if we go on to win it, seeing him waving that ****ing cup aloft would just be indescribable. :pfgwa

hibby rae
24-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Celtic already missing Wanyama and Kayal they will miss both so if Forrest & Mulgrew have also got fitness doubts it all helps our case, hopefully Brown also feeling his injury and could do with someone testing him early doors. :greengrin

I can see us winning the midfield battle. Everyone fit and you can guarantee they'll be up for a fight.

MSK
24-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Billy Whizz didn't say anything about your opinion. It was your attitude that he thought was the problem and I agree. Who needs enemies when we have supporters like you:rolleyes:Aw behave man ..McPake aint fit, hasnt been fit for weeks & it has shown, Celtic would have exploited that on Sun make no bones about it ..not worth the risk if he isnt 100% ..

Stevie Reid
24-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Thomson is doubtful too, apparently. Heard from a mate, his mate in turn is friends with KT, and no reason to doubt him.

Would be a much bigger blow than McPake IMO, and added to that (though I am happy that Forster is likely to play), would be most unfortunate.

Hopefully he will make it, though I've been surprised that he hasn't been injured before now, given his previous.

Thomson fit and playing, apparently :thumbsup:

S4uzee
24-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Thank **** for that, had me a bit worried there :agree:.

Thought Pat looked a bit tense in the press conference

Hibbyradge
24-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Pathetic.

Lol. You obviously don't know him.

Aldo
24-05-2013, 03:51 PM

Cheers fur that. Can I say that losing KT would be a bigger loss than McPake. My opinion mind but glad one is playing.

Real shame for McPake and wish he was fit but glad the decision has been made.

YehButNoBut
24-05-2013, 03:51 PM

Great news, it's going to be an interesting contest between him & Broonie, hopefully KT comes out on top. :thumbsup:

Stevie Reid
24-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Cheers fur that. Can I say that losing KT would be a bigger loss than McPake. My opinion mind but glad one is playing.

Real shame for McPake and wish he was fit but glad the decision has been made.

Great news, it's going to be an interesting contest between him & Broonie, hopefully KT comes out on top. :thumbsup:

Hope it's right! No reason to doubt though (was mentioned he'd be playing left mid, incidentally).

Huge boost if he plays

Onion
24-05-2013, 03:57 PM

Jees, will we ever catch a break in this damned competition. Think we'll miss JMP big time. I fear for the young lad being thrown into his first experience of Hampden and in the SCF :rolleyes:

Why did Hibs announce this now and not leave it to 30 mins before KO ???? Weird decision or just naive ?

GraniteCityHibs
24-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Forster might not play we could put mcgivern into centre and lewis at left back

Or Kujabi :offski:

Chibs
24-05-2013, 04:06 PM
According to SSN

Oscar T Grouch
24-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Gutted for James, but he really has been off form recently, but thats down to his injury, mind the laddie broke his back no that long ago.

I reckon Forster can step up, he showed he can handle the big occasions at the derby. Clancy has been injured but has been training all week. That at least gives us options. Good to hear KT is fit.

The excitement has hit me now I have finished work and have a tin in my hand, it's different from last year, I don't think we'll win it but at the same time, I have a wee feeling inside that says we are gonna do it:confused: I'm confused and excited, I feel like a teenager again :wink:

hibsbollah
24-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Im gutted for him. Having met him i can confirm he's as good a guy as everyone says. Hopefully Forster will have a great game and McPake can lift the cup at the end :aok:

hibby rae
24-05-2013, 04:14 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/22644626
Here's an interview from yesterday. He's an intelligent guy.

ALF TUPPER
24-05-2013, 04:28 PM
A cunning ploy by Pat. He's nor going to reveal his squad at this stage surely. :cb

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Gutted for JMCP but I can't help but think that this is just another twist in what will be a magical storyline. Even an edited version will run to four DVDS.

Hibbyradge
24-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Pathetic.

Lol. You obviously don't know him.

Teapot
24-05-2013, 04:33 PM
If true I'm gutted for him. He'll be devastated. He deserves to be in the squad for the part he's played in turning this club around.

Hopefully he puts his energies into getting the changing room right up for it. :pfgwa

SunshineOnLeith
24-05-2013, 04:35 PM
If we win it, he deserves to be the man to lift the cup. Impossible to overstate the positive effect he's had on the club since arriving.

Pete
24-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Will he get the full kit on at the end, including shinnies?

Aldo
24-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Will he put Clancy in at CH? PF has a few (hard) decisions to make!

WestEndHibee
24-05-2013, 05:33 PM
If we win it, he deserves to be the man to lift the cup. Impossible to overstate the positive effect he's had on the club since arriving.
:agree:
Too right. He's not been himself recently but he's got so much passion for the team and he's really changed the attitude of the squad.

Part/Time Supporter
24-05-2013, 05:35 PM
I remember Wenger announcing Bergkamp wouldn't play against Newcastle in 1998 FA cup final twenty four hours before the match. He gave the reason as saying he didn't want Newcastle to get a boost immediately before the match when they heard the line-ups.

Also remember the situation in 2006 when Hibs were stringing everyone along that some players (Scott Brown in particular) would be fit for the semi-final, then everyone was on a downer when the team was announced.

leggeto
24-05-2013, 05:49 PM

he will be there to lift it at the end but:aok:

NAE NOOKIE
24-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Feel really sorry for him. Just about the only player last May who came out of the game with any credit, always gives 100% and would have this time too.

Both McGivern & Clancy can play CH and it will be interesting to see what PF does. If Jordan Forster can avoid nerves on the day I would have no problem seeing him run out on Sunday.

Got to admit I worry about Clance fitness wise. He was run into the ground after about 75 minutes against Falkirk and he has barely kicked a ball since. Mind you, his long throw could turn out to be an asset.

frazeHFC
24-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Who says its Forster and not Clancy or even Mcgivern

Got to be, he's done well since coming in whereas those 2 are our weak points imo.

Drem
24-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Who are we looking at for Captain then, Hanlon?

Eyrie
24-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Who are we looking at for Captain then, Hanlon?

Already been announced it's Williams.

SMAXXA
24-05-2013, 09:21 PM
A cunning ploy by Pat. He's nor going to reveal his squad at this stage surely. :cb

Foster is starting, Leigh didn't train today as a precaution, there were doubts over Thomo as he picked up an injury training on Tuesday but he has recovered and is starting aswell.

S4uzee
24-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Foster is starting, Leigh didn't train today as a precaution, there were doubts over Thomo as he picked up an injury training on Tuesday but he has recovered and is starting aswell.
Is it true he had a scan today?

SMAXXA
24-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Is it true he had a scan today?

Who mate?

scoopyboy
24-05-2013, 10:47 PM

I'm hearing the same but that Sparky did a bit of training before calling an early halt.