PDA

View Full Version : A Dream...

Leighonel
22-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Mourinho when he was at inter:
"we have a dream to play the champions league final. For Barcelona it is not a dream, it is an obsession. There is a difference between a dream and an obsession; a dream is more pure than an obsession, a dream is about pride."

Maybe I'm just getting wrapped up in the cup build up: watching videos on YouTube, watching the semi final again, watching the highlights of every other round. This quote really speaks to me when it comes to hibs and the Scottish cup.

I have always felt there are words in football that are overused and 'dream' is one of them e.g. Players get their 'dream' move to a team they have never heard of. When we talk about hibs winning the Scottish cup as a dream it is a pure desire to witness history, to witness a pinnacle of our history.

My point is, if the players recognise and understand the dream it could give them a psychological boost going into the final.

pacorosssco
22-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Mourinho when he was at inter:
"we have a dream to play the champions league final. For Barcelona it is not a dream, it is an obsession. There is a difference between a dream and an obsession; a dream is more pure than an obsession, a dream is about pride."

Maybe I'm just getting wrapped up in the cup build up: watching videos on YouTube, watching the semi final again, watching the highlights of every other round. This quote really speaks to me when it comes to hibs and the Scottish cup.

I have always felt there are words in football that are overused and 'dream' is one of them e.g. Players get their 'dream' move to a team they have never heard of. When we talk about hibs winning the Scottish cup as a dream it is a pure desire to witness history, to witness a pinnacle of our history.

My point is, if the players recognise and understand the dream it could give them a psychological boost going into the final.

Nice story you reference but for me an obsession has more substance than a dream. I like the word you use desire.

On sunday I hope the players are obsessed with victory and have a burning desire to win .

GGTTH

Viva_Palmeiras
23-05-2013, 06:12 AM
Next up Leigh Griffiths - "Theres no such thing as ****ism"

Hibercelona
23-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Personally, I think we put far too much emphasis on winning the cup. And because of this, we put an unfair amount of pressure on the players to win it.

Winning the cup would be an excellent achievement. But it's hardly the stuff that dreams are made of. It's just a really great achievement that we can look back on and be proud of.

The cup certainly isn't the "holy grail" as some fans put it.

Barman Stanton
23-05-2013, 06:59 AM
Personally, I think we put far too much emphasis on winning the cup. And because of this, we put an unfair amount of pressure on the players to win it.

Winning the cup would be an excellent achievement. But it's hardly the stuff that dreams are made of. It's just a really great achievement that we can look back on and be proud of.

The reason it is the holy grail is not because it is the Scottish Cup, it is because we have went so long without winning it. 2 wins and 10 loses in finals is terrible for a club our size. The fact that the Famous Five and Turnbulls Tornados failed to win it adds to it.

It very much is the Holy Grail or Hibs fans.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-05-2013, 07:11 AM

And Of all the pictures in world you chose that one...

I agree in the main with your first few lines the rest is drivel IMO and dare I suggest you read up on your Hibstory and speak to Lawrie Reilly for his view. We did beat Barcelona you know and perhaps that's the problem - saturation of Champions (its not really) League and overseas football.

The "certainty" with which you write I'm finding particularly grating but maybe I got up too early ;)

Hibercelona
23-05-2013, 07:16 AM
The reason it is the holy grail is not because it is the Scottish Cup, it is because we have went so long without winning it. 2 wins and 10 loses in finals is terrible for a club our size. The fact that the Famous Five and Turnbulls Tornados failed to win it adds to it.

It very much is the Holy Grail or Hibs fans.

It's all history though. The past can't be undone.

Just because we haven't been winning it, doesn't mean we can't win it now. Past results count for scheidt.

The cup is not the holy grail, we don't have some hoo doo over us and we're not "jinxed" either.

But if we continue to believe in all of that nonsense, then we're not exactly putting confidence into the team.

Hibercelona
23-05-2013, 07:24 AM
And Of all the pictures in world you chose that one...

I agree in the main with your first few lines the rest is drivel IMO and dare I suggest you read up on your Hibstory and speak to Lawrie Reilly for his view. We did beat Barcelona you know and perhaps that's the problem - saturation of Champions (its not really) League and overseas football.

The "certainty" with which you write I'm finding particularly grating but maybe I got up too early ;)

I don't care what the "history books" say. It will have no baring on Sunday. None whatsoever.

What will effect Sunday is how the players approach the game and how much confidence we as the supporters can get across to the players.

If we keep believing in ridiculous "hoo doos" and "jinxes", then all we're doing is setting ourselves up for another fall.

If the players step out there believing there is a "jinx", then they should just go home.

marinello59
23-05-2013, 07:33 AM

No, it is very much the stuff that dreams are made of. I dream about us winning every competition we enter and this week I can hardly think about anything else. I've been supporting this club for far to long to not put extra emphasis on winning the Scottish Cup. Several generations of Hibbys have now passed away before seeing that dream accomplished and come the final whistle in Sunday, win or lose, I will be thinking of them.
We will win though.

allezsauzee
23-05-2013, 07:36 AM
To be fair to the team, i think they have shown plenty of determination to get through to the Scottish Cup final. Not every performance a classic, but they did what they needed to get through each round. 3 games against SPL opposition, a couple of dodgy pens against us, and a nightmare half hour where we gave Falkirk a 3 goal start and yet here we are in another final. I don't think there is any doubt in the minds of the players or the management what it means to the Hibs fans

:pfgwa

CFC1892
23-05-2013, 08:05 AM
I think it's time....
Time for the 1902 to end and 2013 to begin
I do bump into Celtic supporters here in Aus at bars and find them a tad chuffed with themselves.
Like to see them less chuffed.
Go Th F****** Hibees
GIRFUY

Heedersnvolleys
23-05-2013, 08:40 AM
My daughter has woken up every morning this week and told me she had a dream and we won the cup!

I keep thinking this is a good omen then she tells me the score and lowest score we have one by is 7-1. Not going to happen unfortunately. Last nights game we one 15-0 by the way;-). I think she is getting FIFA and reality mixed up.
:pfgwa:flag:

Barman Stanton
23-05-2013, 10:21 AM
It's all history though. The past can't be undone.

Just because we haven't been winning it, doesn't mean we can't win it now. Past results count for scheidt.

The cup is not the holy grail, we don't have some hoo doo over us and we're not "jinxed" either.

But if we continue to believe in all of that nonsense, then we're not exactly putting confidence into the team.

I would suggest you just "don't get it". Not surprising from reading previous stuff by you.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-05-2013, 10:57 AM
I don't care what the "history books" say. It will have no baring on Sunday. None whatsoever.

What will effect Sunday is how the players approach the game and how much confidence we as the supporters can get across to the players.

If we keep believing in ridiculous "hoo doos" and "jinxes", then all we're doing is setting ourselves up for another fall.

If the players step out there believing there is a "jinx", then they should just go home.

I didn't mention a jinx. We're obviously wired differently and vive la difference but answer me one question - if as a Hibee you don't dream about winning the Scottish cup what do you dream of?