PDA

View Full Version : Celtic team news and reports (merged)

BOB MARLEYS DUG
19-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Who is available/injured/suspended for them? Also, what do you think their line up will be, think its important that we keep tabs on them for this week. Although, we should be keeping tabs on Hibs, and only Hibs only, i thought it'd be a good idea to keep a wee eye on Celtic. Which individuals do we need to watch closely/who's quite dodgy and is likely to make mistakes etc.

Thecat23
19-05-2013, 02:43 PM
For me every player in that Celtic squad is dangerous. Hibs will have to be at the very beat of their game and maybe have a bit of Lady Luck on our side. We play like we did against Hearts and use the wings we have a real chance. We sit in and look for the break Celtic will stroll it. Midfield could be where the game is won. Guys like Claros/Tawio/Thompson are our key players who can supply Harris and Griffiths who then could do the damage. Win the battle against you're own man you will win the game.

Sir David Gray
19-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Wanyama and Kayal are suspended.

As far as I'm aware, they have no injuries.

H18sry
19-05-2013, 02:48 PM

As far as I'm aware, they have no injuries.

Charlie Mulgrew, Adam Matthews and Lassad face a fitness battle ahead of the Scottish Cup final against Hibs. (Various) :wink:

#FromTheCapital
19-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Wanyama and his natural replacement Kayal are both suspended. Not sure if the have any significant injuries although Scott Brown has only recently returned from injury so may not be 100% fit. I hope not anyway cos he's a big player for them.

MWHIBBIES
19-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Stokes is the only one that I really fear tbh, Hooper is a better played no doubt but in tight games Stokes is better for scoring those important goals than him. If they need a goal with 10 minutes to go and he is on I will be really scared.

Their defense is awful though so I do think we will score.

Sir David Gray
19-05-2013, 02:53 PM
I think their line up will be the same as today's to be honst.

Billy Whizz
19-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Think James Forrest is a doubt as well

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Very important that we keep Commons quiet methinks.

Stevie Reid
19-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Commons has the goal out of nothing factor, and needs to be closely policed. Forrest is a huge danger also. That said, they have quality and goals right throughout their team.

But we can do it.

chrisski33
19-05-2013, 04:41 PM
You know what, lets not worry about them! We need to start at them and not sit back and let them play. Im pleased we are the underdogs more chance of an upset which we are capable of! Im more worried that they will stop sparky but this could make them take their eyes off our other players......

CapitalHibs
19-05-2013, 06:17 PM
You know what, lets not worry about them! We need to start at them and not sit back and let them play. Im pleased we are the underdogs more chance of an upset which we are capable of! Im more worried that they will stop sparky but this could make them take their eyes off our other players......

Yep want to see Doyler and especially Harris (just like he did against the jambos) hitting the bye-line and hammering low hard crosses into the six yard box...defender's nightmare and hopefully a tap in for LG:thumbsup:

NAE NOOKIE
19-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Thellic have coasted their last few games without being troubled a great deal.

Its not about how they play or what players they have on the pitch. Any one of their starting 11 would probably walk into the Hibs team, but that has pretty well always been the case.

This is all about how we play. If we can win the midfield battle we have a chance, but as others have said, we must be able to get the ball out wide to Harris and Griffiths who often drifts out wide during games.

They are average at the back, but its hard to take advantage of that unless you can stifle their midfield and keep the ball away from their front players.

The only hope I can see is to press them high up the park from the word go and try our best to get the upper hand pushing forward. Make them defend.

Williams

Maybury, McPake / Forster, Hanlon, McGivern

Harris, Taiwo, Claros, Thomson

Griffiths, Doyle / Caldwell

Lets see what we have then:

Williams ............ Was at Old Trafford and has had a great season.. the odd bluper aside.

Maybury ........... Massive experience, but not the quickest.

McPake ............ Was off form before being injured and must be a doubt to start ... will give everything if chosen though.

Forster ............. Stroke of luck him coming through .. looks like a decent player, but nerves might be a factor if he starts.

Hanlon .............. This could be his finest hour if he plays to his full ability .. on his day as good a CH as anybody in the SPL.

McGivern .......... At Man City so you would think he wouldnt be intimidated playing celtic .. good going forward, not so good defending.

Harris ............. What a find .. our best chance to get celtic on the back foot ... if we can get the ball to him.

Taiwo ............. Has hit form at just the right time, has to run and run on the day to break up the midfield.. but can do it.

Claros ............. On his day as good as any midfield player celtic have and if he is up for it can run the game.

Thomson ......... Another player with huge European and big game experience ... fitness a problem, but could be our ace in the hole.

Doyle ........ Wanders about in a trance sometimes, but can score if he keeps the head.

Caldwell .... Still not sure about him .. needs to get in the face of the opposition CH a lot more and take up better positions.

Griffiths ..... Can be out of the game and still score, works hard as well .... our one big chance of something out of nothing.
In last years final he never got a kick and we must not let that happen this time.

In Conclusion ............... Be brave .... ***' go for it and dont worry too much about what celtic are going to do. Get Harris & Griffiths Involved early ... and if a celtic defender even looks at you within 25 yards of their goal fall down and try to win a free kick.

number9dream
19-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Samaras galloping at Maybury is a worry and Forrest is threat on the right, which makes me think wee Pat will play Stevenson in front of McGivern.
Commons is the man in form right now, drifting behind Hooper. He's clever but not quick, so KT could stick on him like a limpet.
Weakness is probably central defence, so let's get Harris & Griffiths running at them!

DH1875
19-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Think they'll go with

Forster
Izaguirre
Ambrose
Wilson
Lustig
Commons
Ledley
Brown
Forrest
Samaras
Hooper

If Mulgrew is fit, he'll play. NO Stokes which is a good thing. Really hope we try and have a bit of a go. Their defence is their weak point, so why not.

MWHIBBIES
20-05-2013, 05:32 AM
We need to let them play in their own half like we did at Easter Road, close them down hard in our half and hit them hard on the break. Although we got some luck in that game we played well and certainly deserved it.

YehButNoBut
21-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Doesn't sound like James Forrest is 100% fit but hoping to be included, would be happy if he missed out as can be a dangerous player for them.

Interesting quote at the end saying "it won't be a disappointing season if we don't win it" makes you wonder how motivated they are.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/22615738?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

easty
21-05-2013, 04:25 PM
They'll be plenty motivated. We dinnae need to worry about that though.

YehButNoBut
21-05-2013, 04:27 PM
They'll be plenty motivated. We dinnae need to worry about that though.

Their recent record at Hampden is not too good though so hopefully they have another bad day on Sunday. :pfgwa

Craig_in_Prague
21-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Think they'll go with

Forster
Izaguirre
Ambrose
Wilson
Lustig
Commons
Ledley
Brown
Forrest
Samaras
Hooper

If Mulgrew is fit, he'll play. NO Stokes which is a good thing. Really hope we try and have a bit of a go. Their defence is their weak point, so why not.

Agree with all this; and I have to say, if Hibs just have a go (but work hard and defend well of course), we can cause them problems and score goals, I really do not rate their central defenders at all. Sparky and Harris must get the ball and just run at them!

I fear Pat will want to try and 'hang in' and play a 4-5-1 and lose us the game before it even starts.
Granted, we beat them at ER playing this way, but we really need to get support up to Sparky and give it everything we've got from start to finish.

Oscar T Grouch
21-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Just having a wee look over at smelliedale street, they are a bunch o paranoia ridden slum dwellers aint they? Collum is going to hand us the cup :agree: farry and dallas gets a mention, they really don't like ANY of the 6 officials. That's only in the first two pages

There is a lot who think we will win it, a few who thiink they'll pump us. A lot of nerves about the game though. The overall consensus is if celtic turn up we will lose.

Now I need to go an wash my PC down after that wee visit :greengrin

adhibs
22-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Article on the scotsman site with lustig talking about fatigue. Even more reason to get right in about them from the start

southsider
22-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Two solid banks of four with both LG and Harris given free roles up front to use their skill and pace. Draw free kicks near the box and wait for Sparky to do the business.

JimBHibees
22-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Article on the scotsman site with lustig talking about fatigue. Even more reason to get right in about them from the start

Wouldnt believe a word of that. They will be raring to finish the final as early as possible as they have had the league won and been able to rotate their team the last few weeks.

sparkiedelpaco7
22-05-2013, 02:59 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22626387

JimBHibees
22-05-2013, 03:04 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22626387

More like mind games. They will be Wanyama aside at full strength on Sunday.

Hibee87
22-05-2013, 03:06 PM
More like mind games. They will be Wanyama aside be at full strength on Sunday.

Is ledley not suspended as well?

Sylar
22-05-2013, 03:07 PM
What exactly does he mean, "...hopefully we're going to play in Europe again."

Sit down and give your mind a rest Mikael.

SlickShoes
22-05-2013, 03:08 PM
How many games have we played this season?

JimBHibees
22-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Is ledley not suspended as well?

No Kayal

rainman
22-05-2013, 03:09 PM

If the word fatigue is in their vocabulary, mind games or not, hopefully that will manifest itself. Good job from the reporter to bring if up!

Keith_M
22-05-2013, 03:44 PM
"It will be Celtic's 59th match after winning the title"

Seriously? They must have been playing about three games a day since the split!

danhibees1875
22-05-2013, 03:48 PM
They've had the luxury of resting players recently before we started doing so, and (as far as I'm aware) to a lesser extent.

I think they regularly chop and change their squad too. I reckon a theoretical 11 for each team and the games they've played would yield similar results (If we pretend it'll be McPake and not Forster :greengrin ). :agree:

Liams
Hate this "play x amount of games" pish... It wasnt like there first 11 played every game... They have a giant squad that was constantly rotated for CL,SC,LC ... Unlike sparky and williams thats played every game bar two (i think)? Hanlon would of played everyone if he wasnt injured either!

hibs4thecup1988
"It will be Celtic's 59th match after winning the title"

Seriously? They must have been playing about three games a day since the split!

No wonder they r fatigued ;)

LioNeilMessi
22-05-2013, 04:05 PM
I don't get this 'fatigue' nonsense, it's been well over two months since they've had any more games to play than us.

I worked 8 days in a row in December, that's why I failed my exam yesterday :agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-05-2013, 05:29 PM
After such a long season, every one of their 75 man first team squad must be shattered.

Golden Bear
22-05-2013, 05:42 PM
After such a long season, every one of their 75 man first team squad must be shattered.

:agree:

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Mister P
22-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Clicked on the link then decided I'm not reading that pash.

Mind games most definitely.

rcarter1
22-05-2013, 08:26 PM
I reckon give them a three goal start.. Then pound them second half. A proven tactic surely? :greengrin

WeeCraigy
23-05-2013, 10:46 AM
I don't get this 'fatigue' nonsense, it's been well over two months since they've had any more games to play than us.

I worked 8 days in a row in December, that's why I failed my exam yesterday :agree:

Graph com by any chance?

Sir David Gray
23-05-2013, 11:02 AM
How many games have we played this season?

Sunday will be our 44th game of the season.

38 league games, 5 Scottish Cup games and a League Cup game against Queen of the South.

Ryan91
23-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Not strictly related but Lennon will be in dugout for Sunday, given one-match ban suspended, typical gutless SFA

Onceinawhile
23-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Mind games or whatever, I'm quite happy he has said that. It won't affect our players but it might just do so to his own. It gives them a ready made excuse and might just stop them from giving 100% as they're fatigued.

Moulin Yarns
23-05-2013, 12:47 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22635536

Celtic manager Neil Lennon is free to take his place in the dugout for this weekend's Scottish Cup final against Hibernian.
Lennon has been given a suspended one-match ban for entering the "playing zone" during April's defeat by Motherwell. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22237288)

SeanWilson
23-05-2013, 01:10 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22635536

Celtic manager Neil Lennon is free to take his place in the dugout for this weekend's Scottish Cup final against Hibernian.
Lennon has been given a suspended one-match ban for entering the "playing zone" during April's defeat by Motherwell. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22237288)

never in doubt... i would rather the unwashed had no excuses when we wipe the floor with them thogh :duck:so im kind of glad he will be around the bench

Centre Hawf
23-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Im assuming Victor Wanyama is next in line to return.

BH Hibs
23-05-2013, 01:48 PM
So you're already banned, then you breach this ban and the punishment is a suspended ban. Only in Scottish football. :confused:

JimBHibees
23-05-2013, 01:50 PM
So you're already banned, then you breach this ban and the punishment is a suspended ban. Only in Scottish football. :confused:

Yep only in Scotland, his record is nothing short of appalling. Can remember Mowbray getting a 6 game ban I think for nothing like the behaviour the ginger ned thinks is acceptable.

Shrekko
23-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Good news IMO. Lennon would probably be hoping for a ban in a high profile game to get his troops wound up with a mock sense of injustice. His bleating about the Player of the Year was for the same purpose.

Spike Mandela
23-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Hopefully he gets sent off in the final.

Saorsa
23-05-2013, 02:55 PM
So you're already banned, then you breach this ban and the punishment is a suspended ban. Only in Scottish football. :confused:Only in Scotland for certain teams you mean surely. If that had been Fenlon I bet he wouldnae be in the dugout for the final.

SFA bending over for Lennon and ceptic, what a surprise :rolleyes: His behaviour as a manager is appalling but time and again he gets this sort of thing

JohnStephens91
23-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Ginger teeth let off the hook again. Appalling disciplinary record, almost as bad as his dental hygiene.

PISTOL1875
23-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Who really cares ?

Its what happens by the people on the pitch that will make the difference..

Heedersnvolleys
24-05-2013, 10:37 AM
I think they have had a fairly subdued build by west coast standards.

I think I would prefer them to be a bit more ballsy/over confident.

They are either taken us very serious or they are over confident and treating it just as another trip to Hampden for them as I have heard some of there supporters say!

Keith_M
24-05-2013, 10:42 AM
I think this (http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/lustig-knows-history-with-his-side-in-battle-of-wills.21170758) is quite a fair article, with comments from Lustig

Gus Fring
24-05-2013, 10:51 AM
I think they have had a fairly subdued build by west coast standards.

I think I would prefer them to be a bit more ballsy/over confident.

They are either taken us very serious or they are over confident and treating it just as another trip to Hampden for them as I have heard some of there supporters say!

Think it's that. They don't see a trip to Hampden as a day out and something to be remembered (for better or worse) for them it's almost a formality.

The Sea-gull
24-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Celtic fans I have heard talking lately and stuff I have read on the web are more interested in whether Hooper, Wanyama, Forster and Lennon are staying, whether Stokes is worth a new deal, signings which will help them in the Champions League and when the Champions League qualifiers are.

They take Hampden trips for granted as they are there at least once or twice every season. Sure they'll see it as a nice day out and want to win the cup so thye have a nice ending to the season but it is not the be all and end all it is for other clubs. Get the impression they want to win the cup to stop any further chat about a "Hampden Hoodoo" under Lennon than actually adding another trophy.

Does this apperant apathy within the Celtic support mean anything to our chances one way or another? No, the Old Firm have had this view of cup finals v the "diddy" teams for quite some time now and they have lost a couple but in the main they win the vast majority.

YehButNoBut
24-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Stokes worried about Hampden being too quiet, hopefully just the Celtic end. :agree:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-striker-anthony-stokes-fears-1908323

Celtic striker Anthony Stokes fears quiet Hampden atmosphere could kill off the Hoops' double ambitions