PDA

View Full Version : He Gets It

Speedway
19-05-2013, 07:58 AM
Whatever your views of Pat as a manager, he's certainly starting to get where we're coming from.

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/pat-fenlon-hopes-hibs-story-can-repeat-itself-1-2936508

Good article.

Keith_M
19-05-2013, 08:00 AM
You forgot to make it a link :wink:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/pat-fenlon-hopes-hibs-story-can-repeat-itself-1-2936508

Keith_M
19-05-2013, 08:02 AM
“but I’m f ecked for height”

:faf:

:not worth

Peevemor
19-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Great read. :aok:

s.a.m
19-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Good interview. Says interesting things, AND sounds likeable.

Dibben
19-05-2013, 08:19 AM

:thumbsup:

Good read!

#FromTheCapital
19-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Great interview.

Fenlons likeability has never been in question, he always comes across well in interviews and seems like a great guy. The players also seem to like him. It's his managerial/tactical ability that has raised a few eyebrows. But he's still learning and will get better. If he wins us that cup he'll go down as a legend no matter what

rcarter1
19-05-2013, 08:28 AM
Good stuff, its so nice to hear a manager embrace the club as much as he has.
Glad (and somewhat shocked) to hear our last cup winning manager will only now get a gravestone, where can you donate?

EdinMike
19-05-2013, 08:39 AM
There was a lot made about Hearts this season introducing young players and all that, but we had a younger squad last weekend than they did. We’ve got some fantastic young players here.”

Hearts 'Best Young Players in the Country'

GIRFUY

Edit: To donate to the Dan McMichael Project hit the Paddy's branch website http://www.hiberniansaintpatricks.co.uk/donate/

19-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Hearts 'Best Young Players in the Country'

GIRFUY

Oh ma sides! :faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

Mikey
19-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Fenlon does indeed get it. And I'm pretty confident that the team he's managed to put together does too. And the introduction of Harris and Forster strengthens the Hibs connection.

As for the Hearts youth team, they finished the U20 season behind Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs, St Mirren, Dundee Utd, ICT, St Johnstone and Hamilton.

Saorsa
19-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Whatever your views of Pat as a manager, he's certainly starting to get where we're coming from.

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/pat-fenlon-hopes-hibs-story-can-repeat-itself-1-2936508

Good article.Great read :aok:

:pfgwa

Treadstone
19-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Fenlon does indeed get it. And I'm pretty confident that the team he's managed to put together does too. And the introduction of Harris and Forster strengthens the Hibs connection.

As for the Hearts youth team, they finished the U20 season behind Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs, St Mirren, Dundee Utd, ICT, St Johnstone and Hamilton.

Pet hate of mine Mikey 'the best young players in Scotland' this bravado comes from no other team. Even when they have more of a claim. Although part of me thinks that over indulging young players with undeserved praise is one way to 'turn their heads'.

Self praise is no praise.

Broken Gnome
19-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Said it on another thread, find it baffling that there were people at Hibs that didn't get how important last year was. Even if it's to show how things will be different this year, it's not exactly a great thing to hear.

Mikey
19-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Said it on another thread, find it baffling that there were people at Hibs that didn't get how important last year was. Even if it's to show how things will be different this year, it's not exactly a great thing to hear.

Doherty, Kujabi, Soares and Osbourne. All started that day because he had no-one else available to him.

Not this time.

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-05-2013, 09:39 AM
"The dressing room was awful when I got here. Bad pros, bad attitudes, poor, really poor. The ones we brought in are good fellas. They get on with their work. They’re not looking for excuses" (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/pat-fenlon-hopes-hibs-story-can-repeat-itself-1-2936508#)

For me anyway, the above sentence is the one that stands out.

bingo70
19-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Doherty, Kujabi, Soares and Osbourne. All started that day because he had no-one else available to him.

Not this time.

Think he admits in this interview he never got it last year and I find that strange and dissapointing, maybe that came from going to Ireland for a few days before the game.

I don't want to turn this into a negative though as it was a good story and I really like fenlon and find it really difficuilt to get my head round the fact some people can't see the progress he's making, the difference compared to last season is night and day.

Broken Gnome
19-05-2013, 09:45 AM

Not this time.

Himself though?

I'm not having a go at him, just don't think it necessarily works as a reassurance given how our support treated the build up.

R'Albin
19-05-2013, 09:51 AM

Reading that in his voice made it so much funnier :hilarious

Jones28
19-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Really good read :thumbsup:

cabbageandribs1875
19-05-2013, 10:15 AM
good read, until you come to the 'comments' section at the bottom, wtf are those pink mutants so obsessed with another club/team ?

GlenrothesHibee
19-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Good quality article by Tom English as usual. I have a lot of time for Pat Fenlon and look forward to the next few seasons under him. One monumental performance from becoming a legend. Cmon Pat.

hibbydog
19-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Great interview.

Fenlons likeability has never been in question, he always comes across well in interviews and seems like a great guy. The players also seem to like him. It's his managerial/tactical ability that has raised a few eyebrows. But he's still learning and will get better. If he wins us that cup he'll go down as a legend no matter what

My thoughts exactly.

Likeability is under-rated. In any job, if you can get along with everyone and make people like you, then you'll probably get a better chance of learning and developing as you go. Pat naturally comes over as a good bloke, something boabby 'just go to the pictures' Williamson certainly didn't!

Anyways, ill be delighted for wee pat if we do the business next week

Onion
19-05-2013, 10:29 AM

Yip, that shocked the hell out of me. Really good article and PF comes across well but that bit says there was something fundamentally wrong with our build up.

Hibercelona
19-05-2013, 10:49 AM
I like Fenlon. He admits that he got it all wrong last year and that he didn't "get it". He says he's beginning to get it now and I believe him.

Hibs are about so much more than just football.

LeighLoyal
19-05-2013, 10:52 AM
I hope he puts on a suit this time around, scruffy wee bugger

WestEndHibee
19-05-2013, 11:00 AM
I like Fenlon. He admits that he got it all wrong last year and that he didn't "get it". He says he's beginning to get it now and I believe him.

Hibs are about so much more than just football.
Great Read!

My biggest praise of Fenlon is that he cares and knows when he's wrong. He doesn't try to stick by his guns and maintain he's right ala levein. If he knows he's wrong he'll admit it and change it for the better. He's on a learning curve but he's getting closer all the time.

Hibercelona
19-05-2013, 11:01 AM

He can turn up with nothing on, as long as he lifts that cup. :greengrin

O'Rourke3
19-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Good stuff, its so nice to hear a manager embrace the club as much as he has.
Glad (and somewhat shocked) to hear our last cup winning manager will only now get a gravestone, where can you donate?

Contact St Pats Branch here Email: stpats.hibernian@virginmedia.com (stpats.hibernian@virginmedia.com)
Website: http://www.hiberniansaintpatricks.co.uk (http://www.hiberniansaintpatricks.co.uk/)

rcarter1
19-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Yip, that shocked the hell out of me. Really good article and PF comes across well but that bit says there was something fundamentally wrong with our build up.

Having spoken to someone who has an 'inside view' of Hibs (from contact with non player staff), there was a deep disappointment about how the game was treated (before and after) by elements of the playing staff. Im sure we know who the main culprits are (and no names were mentioned to me anyway). Pat has taken some of the blame as he is obliged to do as manager, but only this time he has had much more say on the playing squad. Win or lose, I expect a totally different kind of game.

Jack Hackett
19-05-2013, 11:31 AM
good read, until you come to the 'comments' section at the bottom, wtf are those pink mutants so obsessed with another club/team ?

It's THE FEAR cabbage. The pure funk as regards the future of their club manifests itself in a bravado that's nothing short of desperate.

The biggest waste of oxygen to infest the Scotsman comments, Rolland, actually says in reply to a comment from another roaster on the Hibs match report (which basically consisted of 100 or so repetitions of 'tick tock')....."I know, how good has the past year been".

It just leaves me wondering how Edinburghs facilities for the care and protection of the mentally handicapped will cope when the inevitable happens

jacomo
19-05-2013, 01:17 PM
I thought Fenlon was moving his family over to Edinburgh - has he done this or are they still in Dublin?

Not an easy decision to make, with kids at school, but we need our managers 100% focus.

KingFranck
19-05-2013, 01:23 PM

Don't worry about the deluded mob I'll be creating a scotsman account to post hundreds of comments when they go down good riddance !

Chibs
19-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Personnally I don't care if he wears a pink tutu and has 5-1 tattooed on his forehead as long as we lift
the cup.:flag::flag:

St Pats Branch
19-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Superb read.

As someone has said you can donate to the gravestone on our website.
We're on track to make this happen and will hopefully be able to announce something in the near future.

http://www.hiberniansaintpatricks.co.uk/donate/

Dan McMichael’s Grave
A sad and little known fact was highlighted to us that Dan McMichael, Hibernian’s longest serving Manager, who was also Treasurer, Secretary and Physio is buried in an unmarked grave in the Eastern Cemetery, behind the Famous 5 Stand. Dan won the Scottish Cup in 1902 and the League in 1902/3. At a recent branch meeting, St. Pat’s Branch membership agreed that this is unacceptable and we are working towards getting a suitable memorial in place for him. Now that full funding is in place for the Founding Fathers Plaque, our efforts will be focused on this Branch Project and we are pleased to say that progress (the funding and authorisation) is well underway.

Stevie Reid
19-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Great interview - I love the man anyway, but even more so after that.

We were a heartless, gutless, shell of a club when Calderwood was sacked, we are a million miles away from that now. To recover from that day a year ago as well as we have is amazing, and he has restored so much pride in the players and support, and made being a Hibbie for me far more enjoyable than in many seasons of late.

Really like what he has to say about telling the players to embrace the final and enjoy themselves as much as they can next week. I think that is spot on, and we as supporters need to do the same.

WestEndHibee
19-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Great interview - I love the man anyway, but even more so after that.

We were a heartless, gutless, shell of a club when Calderwood was sacked, we are a million miles away from that now. To recover from that day a year ago as well as we have is amazing, and he has restored so much pride in the players and support, and made being a Hibbie for me far more enjoyable than in many seasons of late.

Really like what he has to say about telling the players to embrace the final and enjoy themselves as much as they can next week. I think that is spot on, and we as supporters need to do the same.

Yeh I liked that too. We're the underdogs and we've guaranteed Europe we should look to go there and have fun. Lots of singing and cheering which will hopefully transfer to the players.

yekimevol
19-05-2013, 07:40 PM
"The dressing room was awful when I got here. Bad pros, bad attitudes, poor, really poor. The ones we brought in are good fellas. They get on with their work. They’re not looking for excuses"

For me anyway, the above sentence is the one that stands out.

:top marks:pfgwa:top marks

I always thought it would be a three year project to stop the rot that had spread across the first team and coaches. For paddys first season i would say he has done what was expected, build a core of a team to build around for next season and see what the youth prospects can do; Next season will be the big one.