PDA

View Full Version : Mcpake or Forster ?

hugo boss
18-05-2013, 07:54 PM
which one gets nod for next week??? thoughts? GGTTH

WestEndHibee
18-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Probably fosters, never heard of the other drink?

Edit: Nice Edit

Hermit Crab
18-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Probably fosters, never heard of the other drink?

Hehe.

SmashinGlass
18-05-2013, 07:57 PM
which one gets nod for next week??? thoughts? GGTTH

Who is foster?

lord bunberry
18-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Still mcpake for me but only if he's 100% fit

Hermit Crab
18-05-2013, 07:58 PM

You're joking.

lord bunberry
18-05-2013, 07:59 PM
You're joking.

Absolutely not

Pretty Boy
Forster.

McPake hasn't played for 3 games and struggled before that. Forster has come in and been excellent.

Sir David Gray
Has to be Forster, I don't see how McPake can possibly play in a match of this importance having not played at all for a month.

hugo boss
18-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Still mcpake for me but only if he's 100% fit Really why?

lord bunberry
18-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Really why?

If he is fit mcpake has shown he has the ability and expirience to handle anything celtic can throw at us, forster has played 3 games against 3 of the worst teams in the league

TomoHFC
18-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Forster for me. was at the game and i though that he was my man of the match

hugo boss
18-05-2013, 08:05 PM
If he is fit mcpake has shown he has the ability and expirience to handle anything celtic can throw at us, forster has played 3 games against 3 of the worst teams in the league i really cant see how he can get back in mate

Hermit Crab
Absolutely not

Forster. No contest.

sauzee6_2
Forster for me.

Bring McPake on in the 90th minute for Griffiths after he has scored a hatrick!

3-0 nil up and bring on our club captain to lift the trophy.

Please,please, please.....👏

Scouse Hibee
18-05-2013, 08:08 PM
If he is fit mcpake has shown he has the ability and expirience to handle anything celtic can throw at us, forster has played 3 games against 3 of the worst teams in the league

You're correct he has shown it but unfortunately not for some time, he has also had bad games against the worst teams in the league. Without any game time in the weeks leading to the final, I fail to see why he should start.

Forster for me.

PJ IronHIbee
18-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Both if our captain is fit!

lord bunberry
18-05-2013, 08:09 PM
i really cant see how he can get back in mate

You may be right but I doubt he will have any issues with his general fitness at this stage of the season, so it may well be that pat has just been giving him the chance to be fresh for the final. I'm not knocking forster he has been excellent so far, I just think its a big gamble playing a centre half with only 3 games under his belt in our biggest game of the season

Jonnyboy
18-05-2013, 08:11 PM

Who would you leave out?

truehibernian
18-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Jordon has been excellent since he has come in and to be honest, like Harris, he should have had a chance sooner - but huge credit has to go to Paul Hanlon for me, for not only talking him through games, but looking like the experienced head and having a confidence I've not seen in him for a good while.

At set pieces I've also rarely seen a centre half win as many headers and knock downs (as Jordon has) - he's a hugely courageous boy and for me he has to start in the final - nothing fazed him so far and he looks assured on the ball by keeping things nice and simple.

McPake as club captain will be very very useful to have on the bench, but I've a good feeling about this final given we have young players who have a right good 'go for it' attitude and play with no fear.

How good has Taiwo been these last few games by the way - he has been simply superb too in my opinion.

Waxy
18-05-2013, 08:12 PM
I originally wanted Mcpake rested and brought in for the cup final.
Not so sure now.
Under the curcumstances i'd start Forster.
What a bonus.

lord bunberry
18-05-2013, 08:13 PM
You're correct he has shown it but unfortunately not for some time, he has also had bad games against the worst teams in the league. Without any game time in the weeks leading to the final, I fail to see why he should start.

Forster for me.

There's no doubt mcpake has been off form lately but the whole team wasn't performing, I am hoping mcpake form has been down to him carrying an injury and he will be fit and ready for next week.

Capt Mainwaring
18-05-2013, 08:16 PM
If fit - James McPake . I have total trust in the Captain to inspire us to victory. Mr 110%

hugo boss
18-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Jordon has been excellent since he has come in and to be honest, like Harris, he should have had a chance sooner - but huge credit has to go to Paul Hanlon for me, for not only talking him through games, but looking like the experienced head and having a confidence I've not seen in him for a good while.

At set pieces I've also rarely seen a centre half win as many headers and knock downs (as Jordon has) - he's a hugely courageous boy and for me he has to start in the final - nothing fazed him so far and he looks assured on the ball by keeping things nice and simple.

McPake as club captain will be very very useful to have on the bench, but I've a good feeling about this final given we have young players who have a right good 'go for it' attitude and play with no fear.

How good has Taiwo been these last few games by the way - he has been simply superb too in my opinion. superb post and reply mate i agree with everything you have said there Taiwo has been top drawer...but for me young boozy and forster both must start.

trev the hat
18-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Forster for me, as has been mentioned Hanlon seems to be excelling alongside him & both seem to be 100% committed in the challenge. Both are certain starters IMO

GreenCastle
18-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Forster - seems like we have unearthed another gem - will be interesting to see who he chooses - club captain or in form youngster.

Westie1875
18-05-2013, 08:24 PM
If McPake was 100% fit it would be him, however sadly it seems most likely that he isn't and won't be - in that case I'd go with Forster, we can't be carrying anyone who isn't fully fit next week.

NAE NOOKIE
18-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Its a tough question. Forster has come in and been a bit of a revelation, seems assured and doesnt do anything daft at the back, It also appears that Hanlon seems to like playing alongside him.

If McPake is fit for the final I wont complain if he gets the nod, you will get 100% from him thats for sure. But the question is ... is he fit? I cant help thinking that if he was anywhere ready to play he would have got at least a half today, but he was nowhere to be seen. I cant see the sense in playing a half fit McPake when Forster looks capable of doing a job at CH.

GreenCastle
18-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Heard McPake was back training yesterday - not sure how true that is.

Was he out for the lap at the end? Didn't see him ?

blackpoolhibs
18-05-2013, 08:56 PM

Yes he was, his face was tripping him though, never smiled once from what i saw? Looks to me as if he knows he wont make the final.

Hibs_dot_com
18-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Yes he was, his face was tripping him though, never smiled once from what i saw? Looks to me as if he knows he wont make the final.

:agree: :agree: :agree:

HibeeN
18-05-2013, 09:07 PM
McPake has seemed really unhappy for a while now, it's quite gutting to see! After the semi-final comeback he didn't look relieved or overjoyed or excited or anything, and his head just seems to have dropped in the second half of the season. No idea if it's form or fitness or something else altogether but really hope things turn around for him because he's shown he has all the qualities and attributes that our club captain should have.

Even if he doesn't make the final, he will still be (and should be) the one to lift that trophy if we win it.

Jonnyboy
18-05-2013, 09:09 PM

According to PF after the game today, McPake has not trained of late and they plan to have a look at him on Tuesday

GreenCastle
18-05-2013, 09:10 PM
McPake has seemed really unhappy for a while now, it's quite gutting to see! After the semi-final comeback he didn't look relieved or overjoyed or excited or anything, and his head just seems to have dropped in the second half of the season. No idea if it's form or fitness or something else altogether but really hope things turn around for him because he's shown he has all the qualities and attributes that our club captain should have.

Even if he doesn't make the final, he will still be (and should be) the one to lift that trophy if we win it.

:agree:

His body language has been very evident something is wrong - I would love to see McPake back and fit again like he was when he first came to the club but has for over half this season has been struggling.

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Forster. Anything else would be sentiment.

Eyrie
18-05-2013, 09:19 PM
It's the Scottish Cup Final, so we have to pick the player who is fit and in form which means Forster.

maturehibby
18-05-2013, 09:20 PM
At the end he was in the walk round with the rest of the players and Givescotlandfreedom who I was with thought that he was crying - overcome with the occasion or peed off because he knows he wont be fit enough for the final

Cropley10
18-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Sadly for McPake he's a legend in his own living room, this season.

He's been out the side and we've won.

The young lads are fit, strong and play without fear.

NOLA
18-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Jordon Forster / jake isnt fit, as captain of the team he should do the best by the team and admit he isnt ready to lead the team out

GreenOnions
18-05-2013, 09:47 PM
I've always thought McPake is great although I'm sure he would agree he hasn't been performing so well in the second half of this season. I suspect he's been playing with injuries.

The emergence of Forster though has been as encouraging as it has been surprising. Today is the first time I've seen him play "live". I've got to say - how has he not had a chance before now?? He was superb today and I would have no hesitation putting him in the starting 11 for the cup final.

He looks confident and strong and quite quick. He's not hugely tall but tall enough and he seems to jump well - he won everything that came his way in the air today. His distribution was also composed and constructive.

Even though this is the first time I've seen him play "live" I am already wondering how long there is on his contract. Anyone know? There's potentially an excellent footballer in there and I'd like to see him awarded a long-term deal along with Harris.

I will feel for James McPake if he doesn't make the final. He is the team's leader and has been an inspiration for us in many games. However, I can't imagine that he will be 100% fit at all and, if that's the case, for me Forster should be straight into the team.

zosohibee
19-05-2013, 12:23 AM
Giving Forster and Harris long term deals after a month or so in the first team is mental. It gives them all the power and in one way or another no matter what they are like in the sense department they will think they are indispensible to the club after 6 or 7 starts (Harris). Let them prove themselves over an entire season, then talk deal.

Best looking players we have produced in a long time, no question

Saorsa
19-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Forster, Dinnae care what the game is, dropping him now for McPake would just be wrong IMO. Came in, done the job asked of him fantastically well, good partnership with Hanlon. Travesty should he not start the final IMO.

Jones28
19-05-2013, 12:46 AM
I think paddys choice will be made for him, mcpake won't be fit/match sharp

Onceinawhile
19-05-2013, 01:00 AM
If mcpake is fit, it has to be him. For all forster has done well in the last three games, it should be remembered that one was against a killie side ravaged with injury, and another against a Dundee side well adrift at the bottom of the league and with nothing to play for.

With only that experience, it would be grossly unfair to start him and the pressure could be too much. Mcpake has been over the course and his mentality has been vital in turning the club around this season.

Having said the above, if mcpake doesn't make it, I won't be disappointed to see forster take his place. Had you said to me 4 games ago there was a chance he would be one of the cbs in the cup final I'd have been devastated. That this point is worthy of discussion is of huge credit to how well he has done.

blackpoolhibs
19-05-2013, 08:08 AM
If mcpake is fit, it has to be him. For all forster has done well in the last three games, it should be remembered that one was against a killie side ravaged with injury, and another against a Dundee side well adrift at the bottom of the league and with nothing to play for.

With only that experience, it would be grossly unfair to start him and the pressure could be too much. Mcpake has been over the course and his mentality has been vital in turning the club around this season.

Having said the above, if mcpake doesn't make it, I won't be disappointed to see forster take his place. Had you said to me 4 games ago there was a chance he would be one of the cbs in the cup final I'd have been devastated. That this point is worthy of discussion is of huge credit to how well he has done.

I was with you on that a while back, i used to think McPake was irreplaceable, although that was last season.

I was one of those who wanted the club to show a bit of ambition and get him signed up, but he is nowhere near the player we saw during that loan period, and i mean nowhere near.

Forsters games may have been against Dundee Killie and the gimps, but i have seen enough of McPake this season against the same sides, to say quite categorically Forster has performed better.

Now i know experience is an issue, and Forster will never have played in front of such a big crowd, tasted anything like the atmosphere or pressure we will have next Sunday, but McPake has been nowhere near as good or fit enough for quite a while.

And we cant afford to patch him up get him on the park, and let him give us another of his pretty poor performances he's been giving us for far too long.

I know this is harsh, and he probably wants to take an injection and get him through next week, but we are bigger than any one player, and we need to do whats best for Hibernian Football Club, not James McPake.

He needs to get whats wrong with him sorted, and come back fit and ready next season imo.

lapsedhibee
19-05-2013, 08:15 AM

Possibly the thought of having to speak to that **** Terry during the week for tips on how to look as if you'd actually played in the game when it comes to posing for photaes afterwards?

MB62
19-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Couldn't care less if McPake is fit or not as IMO, the man is liability.

Forster for me.

J-C
19-05-2013, 09:32 AM
I was with you on that a while back, i used to think McPake was irreplaceable, although that was last season.

I was one of those who wanted the club to show a bit of ambition and get him signed up, but he is nowhere near the player we saw during that loan period, and i mean nowhere near.

Forsters games may have been against Dundee Killie and the gimps, but i have seen enough of McPake this season against the same sides, to say quite categorically Forster has performed better.

Now i know experience is an issue, and Forster will never have played in front of such a big crowd, tasted anything like the atmosphere or pressure we will have next Sunday, but McPake has been nowhere near as good or fit enough for quite a while.

And we cant afford to patch him up get him on the park, and let him give us another of his pretty poor performances he's been giving us for far too long.

I know this is harsh, and he probably wants to take an injection and get him through next week, but we are bigger than any one player, and we need to do whats best for Hibernian Football Club, not James McPake.

He needs to get whats wrong with him sorted, and come back fit and ready next season imo.

I thought this too then realised he looked good because everyone else around him were actually p!sh, he had a serious back injury prior to coming to us which kept him out the game for around 6 months, this could actually be serious enough for him to hang up his boots as it's his lower discs which is affected. He severely lacks pace, his positioning is terrible and the reason he looks like captain courageous is due to his poor positioning, constantly throwing himself into challenges. Wouldn't be surprised if he's not here next year.

Albanian Hibs
19-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Forster to start with McPake on bench incase the young lad gets overwhelmed by the big occasion.

lord bunberry
19-05-2013, 09:40 AM
I thought this too then realised he looked good because everyone else around him were actually p!sh, he had a serious back injury prior to coming to us which kept him out the game for around 6 months, this could actually be serious enough for him to hang up his boots as it's his lower discs which is affected. He severely lacks pace, his positioning is terrible and the reason he looks like captain courageous is due to his poor positioning, constantly throwing himself into challenges. Wouldn't be surprised if he's not here next year.

He looked good last year because he is a good player not because the other players were bad. He has struggled this season due to him playing with an injury. I don't understand why there's so many people ready to stick the boot into mcpake imo he has never let us down and he always gives us everything he's got, it's just a shame that he has been hampered this season with a bad back. If he's not fit then there's no doubt that forster should play but make no mistake its a gamble fenlon would rather not take

G15 Hibs
19-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Forster every day of the week. Even if McPake was fit.

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Forster no question, I think McPake is injured anyway.

hfc rd
19-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Forster. Much more reliable than an unfit and out of form McPake.

Bostonhibby
19-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Forster no question, I think McPake is injured anyway.

Forsters got the jersey, playing well, for whatever reason James wasn't, I want a fit McPake back but there is less risk in playing a fit Forster than a below par McPake. We need everyone to be right for the game. Absolutely no sentiment driven decisions.

Scouse Hibee
19-05-2013, 10:00 AM
He looked good last year because he is a good player not because the other players were bad. He has struggled this season due to him playing with an injury. I don't understand why there's so many people ready to stick the boot into mcpake imo he has never let us down and he always gives us everything he's got, it's just a shame that he has been hampered this season with a bad back. If he's not fit then there's no doubt that forster should play but make no mistake its a gamble fenlon would rather not take

He has this season as for the majority of it he's been pish poor, if he was carrying an injury that hampered him then he should have declared that he was unable to play it's as simple as that! Not sticking the boot in just saying it how it is, I realise that it's not as acceptable with some Hibs players as it is with others in some peoples minds but there's no immunity from pish poor performances for anyone in my mind.

J-C
19-05-2013, 10:02 AM

Everyone to their own eh!

I for one am not a McPake fan, thought he was good last year when we needed him, whether injury has hampered him or not this season he's been a big disappointment. Yes he looked good due to the fact that Docherty, Francombe, Kujabi and co, were so poor it made him stand out.

Planet Hibs
19-05-2013, 10:04 AM
If mcpake is declared fit then Pat had one big decision to make. If Forster plays and we lose by a few goals then all the talk will be we should of went with experience of mcpake. If mcpake plays and we lose by a few the chat will be to of stuck with Forster. Only way to avoid the centre back post mortem chat is win the cup!!!!!

Onion
19-05-2013, 10:09 AM

:agree: If he has the option Pat has to pick McPake for so many reasons. Forster has had a few good games against a few crap sides. To give him a jersey against Celtic in the SCF based on that would be madness.

Scouse Hibee
19-05-2013, 10:11 AM
:agree: If he has the option Pat has to pick McPake for so many reasons. Forster has had a few good games against a few crap sides. To give him a jersey against Celtic in the SCF based on that would be madness.

Yet Mcpake has had many bad games against the same crap sides so based on that who's mad?

Billy Whizz
19-05-2013, 10:11 AM
For me if Mcpake is fit, I'll be a happy man. However if he's not 100%, Forster will come in and do a job, that I'm sure of, and I'll be happy too. This is how we should all be thinking

Scouse Hibee
19-05-2013, 10:14 AM
For me if Mcpake is fit, I'll be a happy man. However if he's not 100%, Forster will come in and do a job, that I'm sure of, and I'll be happy too. This is how we should all be thinking

Can he be 100% fit after missing the last few games through injury and not being fit enough to feature yesterday, I seriously doubt it TBH.

--------
19-05-2013, 10:14 AM

:top marks

We've been struggling for months with McPake in the side. Forster was picked for the derby. We won that game, and we won at Kilmarnock, and then ar ER against Dundee. IIRC we lost the previous home game against them?

Forster has played in our last three games; Hibs have won all three and the guy hasn't made any major mistakes and is bonding well with his partner Paul Hanlon. He's physically capable - built like a tank - and he's proved his composure by coming into the side for a Tynecastle derby and coping well. They may be poor, but that's still a pressure situation.

McPake has been off-form for months, there's a huge question-mark against his fitness, and he hasn't played in three games. I'm sorry for him - he has back problems - and I SO hope that Pat will be in a position to get him on just before the end to take his place as club captain at the presentations.

But right now I really think it has to be a no-brainer.

Billy Whizz
19-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Can he be 100% fit after missing the last few games through injury and not being fit enough to feature yesterday, I seriously doubt it TBH.

Won't be 100% match fit, but may be able to play pain free. Remember if was only 2 weeks ago that he last played, hardly an eternity

Scouse Hibee
19-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Won't be 100% match fit, but may be able to play pain free. Remember if was only 2 weeks ago that he last played, hardly an eternity

In that case no contest IMO.

lord bunberry
19-05-2013, 10:25 AM

That's the way I'm looking at it

Eyrie
19-05-2013, 10:34 AM
If Forster can handle making his debut at the PBS he can handle a cup final. Pressure isn't an issue and he's playing well enough to have a deserved self-belief on the big stage.

YehButNoBut
20-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Seems like McPake & Clancy are back in the squad for the final, big decision to make for Pat. :agree:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/hibs-boost-as-james-mcpake-and-tim-clancy-back-1-2937110

Purple & Green
20-05-2013, 11:40 AM
The other possibility if McPake isn't fit is to move McGivern to partner Hanlon, and Stevenson coming in at left back.

I think that is a more sensible option, but I love the pure radgeness of putting Forster in. Fortune favours the bold, and all that.

YehButNoBut
20-05-2013, 11:43 AM
The other possibility if McPake isn't fit is to move McGivern to partner Hanlon, and Stevenson coming in at left back.

I think that is a more sensible option, but I love the pure radgeness of putting Forster in. Fortune favours the bold, and all that.

Been very impressed with Forster in the last 3 games and deserves to keep his place on Sunday as can't believe that McPake will be fully fit.

MrRobot
20-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Forster.

Andy74
20-05-2013, 01:35 PM

We've been struggling for months with McPake in the side. Forster was picked for the derby. We won that game, and we won at Kilmarnock, and then ar ER against Dundee. IIRC we lost the previous home game against them?

Forster has played in our last three games; Hibs have won all three and the guy hasn't made any major mistakes and is bonding well with his partner Paul Hanlon. He's physically capable - built like a tank - and he's proved his composure by coming into the side for a Tynecastle derby and coping well. They may be poor, but that's still a pressure situation.

McPake has been off-form for months, there's a huge question-mark against his fitness, and he hasn't played in three games. I'm sorry for him - he has back problems - and I SO hope that Pat will be in a position to get him on just before the end to take his place as club captain at the presentations.

Yeah, bring McPake on when we're four up going in to the last two minutes.

SMAXXA
20-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Jordan doesn't think he will play. Spoke to him over the weekend, to be fair the laddies done brilliant since he has come in so I wouldn't be upset if he plays.

Stevie Reid
20-05-2013, 03:33 PM

Totally agree, Doddie. Wouldn't fancy McPake trying to get into the pace of the game on Sunday having not played 90 minutes in 4 weeks.

Eyrie
20-05-2013, 06:40 PM

There's a lack of height in the team if you do that (unless Clancy is fit to play RB) so I'd stick with Forster.

yekimevol
20-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Just to confuse everyone here is a line up that includes both of them :P 3-5-2.

Williams
forster mcpake hanlon
claros
Thomo tawio
wortherspoon Harris
Caldwell Super Leigh

...WentToMowAnSPL
20-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Foster

Scouse Hibee
20-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Foster

Never heard of him :wink:

Jonnyboy
20-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Never heard of him :wink:

He's from the extra/missing letters club, like Kevin Thompson :greengrin

...WentToMowAnSPL
20-05-2013, 09:29 PM
He's from the extra/missing letters club, like Kevin Thompson :greengrin

Epic fail ... Sack foster reinstate Forster !!!

YehButNoBut
22-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Can't see McPake making the final after reading this, so Forster now looks a certain starter.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/james-mcpake-could-miss-hibs-scottish-cup-final-1-2939700

The club skipper has returned to training along with fellow defender Tim Clancy after the pair missed the Capital outfit’s last three SPL matches, McPake battling a back problem while his team-mate nursed the groin and stomach injuries which have troubled him in recent months.

But while Clancy came through the session apparently untroubled, Fenlon disclosed that former Livingston and Coventry City star McPake is “struggling.” Fenlon is prepared to give McPake until Friday before deciding on his starting line-up and five-man bench to face Celtic at Hampden on Sunday, but, he admitted, to lose him would be “a massive blow” to Hibs’ dream of finally ending their 111-year wait for the cup.

Fenlon knows McPake is desperate to play as Hibs bid to atone for the humiliation they suffered at the hands of arch-rivals Hearts 12 months ago, but he insisted sentiment won’t play a part when it comes to choosing which players will feature at the weekend.

He said: “James did a little bit yesterday, but he is a doubt at the minute. We would like to have him in the team, he is our captain, the team leader and we’d love to have him around. To lose him would be a massive blow as he is a big player for us.

“He will be desperate to play being the type of character he is, but he has to be right, we have to be sure. He’s struggling a bit at the minute, but we will give him to Friday.”

spike220
22-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Forster

Stevie Reid
22-05-2013, 11:16 AM
From our 0-0 draw with Hearts in March up until the game at Tynie we lost 15 goals in 6 games (one a no score draw) - since Forster came in that game we have lost 3 in 3.

McPake would have my full support if he plays but I cannot see how someone with his problems can come back after a month out and be in the right shape mentally and physically for such a big game.

Forster is ready.

Pat 0-7
22-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Can't see McPake making the final after reading this, so Forster now looks a certain starter.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/james-mcpake-could-miss-hibs-scottish-cup-final-1-2939700

The club skipper has returned to training along with fellow defender Tim Clancy after the pair missed the Capital outfit’s last three SPL matches, McPake battling a back problem while his team-mate nursed the groin and stomach injuries which have troubled him in recent months.

But while Clancy came through the session apparently untroubled, Fenlon disclosed that former Livingston and Coventry City star McPake is “struggling.” Fenlon is prepared to give McPake until Friday before deciding on his starting line-up and five-man bench to face Celtic at Hampden on Sunday, but, he admitted, to lose him would be “a massive blow” to Hibs’ dream of finally ending their 111-year wait for the cup.

Fenlon knows McPake is desperate to play as Hibs bid to atone for the humiliation they suffered at the hands of arch-rivals Hearts 12 months ago, but he insisted sentiment won’t play a part when it comes to choosing which players will feature at the weekend.

He said: “James did a little bit yesterday, but he is a doubt at the minute. We would like to have him in the team, he is our captain, the team leader and we’d love to have him around. To lose him would be a massive blow as he is a big player for us.

“He will be desperate to play being the type of character he is, but he has to be right, we have to be sure. He’s struggling a bit at the minute, but we will give him to Friday.”

Has to be Forster now for me. Hope Pat doesnt let sentimentality get in the way - JM is out of form and not fully fit. And the youngster has not shown any signs of nerves, and has a 100% win record in the first team!!! :greengrin

rcarter1
22-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Gutted for James, but we seem to have lucked out with Forster coming in - doing really well, and has a point to prove to Celtic by all accounts. James will hopefully have good break over summer, sort the back out, and come back to lead our defense of the trophy :greengrin :pray::cup:.

carnoustiehibee
22-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Forster is very calm and composed, Finds a pass and reads the game well.

Mcpake for some reason I have in my head, he will give away a penalty if plays on Sunday. Not match fit, stretching for the ball, hooper collapses. Dodgy Penalty

Craig_in_Prague
22-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Can't see anything else but Forster playing.

I feel for James though. I wanted him to lift the cup, but I suppose as club captain he still can, just won't take part in the game.

jacomo
22-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Even if McPake doesn't play, I think we all recognise his overall contribution to the club.

Sandy
22-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Forster for me, been immense since he came in. Feel for our captain, but we have to do what's best for Hibs. Have a good feeling about this one :pray:

--------
22-05-2013, 12:24 PM
From our 0-0 draw with Hearts in March up until the game at Tynie we lost 15 goals in 6 games (one a no score draw) - since Forster came in that game we have lost 3 in 3.

McPake would have my full support if he plays but I cannot see how someone with his problems can come back after a month out and be in the right shape mentally and physically for such a big game.

Forster is ready.

Jake's struggling, but being the man he is, if he plays he'll do his very best for the team.

His back problem's a bad one, and needs sorting. I'm no fan of people playing with pain-killing injections, frankly - first, it doesn't really sort out the basic problem, and second, playing with a major injury and painkillers does the player no good at all for the long-term.

I'm old enough to remember Allan McGraw playing game after game with cortisone injections. Allan had major knee problems which caused him great pain, and he played on with those problems and painkillers together. If I'm not mistaken, he's now almost completely crippled and still suffers great pain. A more genuine, decent player you could not meet, but no football match is worth that.

Jake has contributed massively to the turnaround in attitudes at the club, and I for one have huge respect for him and want to see him back in the green-and white shirt next season as a fit man to lead us into at least one European tie and hopefully onwards and upwards in the SPL table.

I don't want the guy crippled, and I wouldn't want him to be picked and fail and have to be subbed and end up feeling he's been the weak link that let the team and the supporters down.

For all reasons I would play Jordon Forster - unless Jake is 100% fit and moving freely and without pain. It doesn't sound as if that's the case, but he'd be more than entitled to a medal and holds a very warm place in the hearts and affections of all Hibees.

If he doesn't make it, we'll just have to do this all over again next year.

Craig_in_Prague
22-05-2013, 01:08 PM
today's scotsman, Fenlon says he will be given James until Friday, before deciding for sure.
Was back in training, so it's not 100% that he is out at the moment.

Clancy looks more a possibility, though Maybury has been doing quite well, so I am not particuarly fussed how plays and I also confident in Forster doing just fine.... Just nice to have a better squad at the moment and we have options further forward too (Handling, Caldwell, Doyle could all play with Sparky).

greengnome
22-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Sentiment says McPake.... But the hard truth says Jordan Forster!!
The laddie can handle himself, not fazed in any way, and has cemented his place in the team in a short time.
He won't get manhandled so easy, and can dig in if required.... Forster for me....! :aok: :flag:

GGTTH.

AJHibby
22-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Looks like if McPake is fit he will be playing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22626393

FromTheCapital
22-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Thoughts?

Baldy Foghorn
22-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Thoughts?

If there are any doubts regarding his fitness he should not play.....It's about getting the right balance in the team, and we can't afford to have anyone unfit in the side. Forster has done well in the 3 games, and I would go with him....No sentiment in Football....

Keith_M
22-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Fenlon with pick from the players that had a successful post split run, not someone who hasn't played and isn't fit.

hfc rd
22-05-2013, 03:47 PM
If there are any doubts regarding his fitness he should not play.....It's about getting the right balance in the team, and we can't afford to have anyone unfit in the side. Forster has done well in the 3 games, and I would go with him....No sentiment in Football....

This.

rcarter1
22-05-2013, 03:50 PM
McPake sounds mad keen to play obviously. Will attract a lot of flak to himself and the manager should he be found wanting/gives away a poor penalty etc. Damn, Id only just decided that Forster was a shoe in. Pat this is your moment!! :worried:

Franck Stanton
22-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Football, especially cup finals are about what is best for the team and not the individual. Whilst it must be gutting for a player to miss a final through injury, the good of the team must come first. McPake is not only injured but his form prior to the final wasn't exactly great. He may just be a wee bit "ring-rusty" just now. Don't get me wrong, a fully fit top form McPake would be the first name on my team sheet, but, for this Sunday, I would go with Forster as partner for Hanlon in c/defence. Forster has been an able replacement and hasn't put a foot wrong, in fact could be argued has improved the back four. He doesn't deserve to be dropped.

KiddA
22-05-2013, 03:54 PM
I think Jordan has done extremely well in the games he has played and James has not played for three weeks which is a worry. I am saying Forster but it is a close one for me.

Thoughts fellow Hibbys

SunshineOnLeith
22-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Another thread? Really?

AJHibby
22-05-2013, 03:58 PM
If McPake does play I can see him trying too hard to prove he is worthy of his place and losing his focus which is a real shame because you can tell how desperate he is to atone for last year. Forster would have much less pressure on him allowing to play his game a lot more naturally IMO

Eyemouth Hibby
22-05-2013, 03:59 PM
I'd go with the boy Forster who seems to have made a tremendous impression. It may be a gamble but why change a winning team, and picking Forster ahead of Mcpake seems to be the general consensus on here. As well, how many times in other big games has a player declared himself fit and then went on to have a nightmare. A very big call, but In Pat we trust I suppose GGTTH.

:flag:

KiddA
22-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Another thread? Really?

Not had a poll yet :dunno:

Lester B
22-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Anyone remember a semi at Hampden under McLeish? Derek Collins was passed fit and he clearly wasn't remotely match fit and we suffered because of it. McPake deserves to help lift the Cup if it does happen and the guy has a huge heart. But Forster has to play.

Andy74
Thoughts?

Ah, he's alive, don't think he's had any presence leading this club for months now.

EdinMike
http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/football/hibs/james-mcpake-could-miss-hibs-scottish-cup-final-1-2939700

“...as manager I have to make decisions for the good of the club. If he is not right, then I have to make that decision.”

Pat kens whats goan oan :wink:

HH81
22-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Where is the option for both:confused:

hibsbollah
22-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Forster. But...

I feel sorry for McPake. I'm sure he was desperate to play and make up for last year. He's a proud guy and proud to be Hibs captain and it wont have escaped his notice that hes not been playing well and has been getting criticised by the fans when last season he was the best thing to happen to the club in years

Id love it if he could contribute to lifting the Cup. But im guessing he'll be an unused sub, and hopefully he can get a good physio working on him over the summer.

1two
22-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Forster

Mcpake to make a cameo appearance at 2 nil up with 3 mins left

Beefster
22-05-2013, 04:31 PM
If our captain is fit on Sunday, this board has done plenty in the past few weeks to ensure his confidence will probably be rock bottom. We've had countless thread about how he's been pish, should be dropped etc etc.

Malthibby
22-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Forster, but only because I don't believe McPake can be fit after missing the recent games. Crap for him, & I hope they can find a resolution in the close season
for his back, but it's too big a risk.
GG

oramhibee
22-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Thought McPake was injured, says he is in the Evening News

Up The Bracket
22-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Neither, McGivern at CB and Lewis at LB.

McPake isn't fit, and I don't think it's fair to start someone with 3 games experience in what could be the biggest game in our history, if he makes a big error then it could ruin him.

Lewis is solid, not a fantastic player, but we'll get 100% from him and he very rarely makes errors.

3pm
22-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Cannae decide.

Saorsa
22-05-2013, 04:49 PM
I dinnae believe McPake can possibly be fit. I'm no really interested if he wants tae play through the pain barrier, it's too big a risk IMO, we need players who are properly fit and up tae the job. Forster has came in and been excellent and he should play, again IMO.

hibsbollah
22-05-2013, 04:52 PM
If our captain is fit on Sunday, this board has done plenty in the past few weeks to ensure his confidence will probably be rock bottom. We've had countless thread about how he's been pish, should be dropped etc etc.

:agree: Those threads have been annoying me for weeks.

rainman
22-05-2013, 05:19 PM
If McPake is even 50% fit, get him on the bench. His leadership is what wins finals. Even if it is in the dressing room before and at half time.

Potty78
22-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Both, Forster at right back,mcpake and hanlon in the middle with mcgivern at left back. Harsh on maybury but that's four decent sized players at the back. Tough choice for pat though.

Westie1875
22-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Unless McPake is 100% fit it has to be Forster I'm afraid, for the good of the team and also McPake's health.

Sanger
22-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Fighting to be fit and has not played for weeks and when he did was dreadful giving away goals left right and centre. Got to be the young laddie who looks international quality in the making.

SmallvilleHibee
22-05-2013, 06:24 PM
The defense for the final has to be: LB Stevenson, CB McGivern, CB Forster, RB Maybury

This back four has been tremedous post split and with Thomson sitting in front we look solid.

Potty78
22-05-2013, 06:27 PM
The defense for the final has to be: LB Stevenson, CB McGivern, CB Forster, RB Maybury

This back four has been tremedous post split and with Thomson sitting in front we look solid.
Hanlon no?

NOLA
22-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Ill be disappointed if mcpake starts on sunday if I'm honest, no way he will be fit and forster hasn't put a foot wrong since coming in, ill be happy to see jake lift the trophy at the end though :)

Scouse Hibee
22-05-2013, 06:33 PM

No it hasn't, have you actually watched any of the games to see who the back four actually were?

Beefster
22-05-2013, 06:38 PM

Agreed. I've particularly enjoyed watching Deegan and Clancy up front.

Saorsa
22-05-2013, 06:38 PM

This back four has been tremedous post split and with Thomson sitting in front we look solid.:Ummm:

TornadoHibby
22-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Sniff Sniff, a Yam about methinks!! :greengrin :rolleyes:

GGTTH07
22-05-2013, 10:08 PM
:aok: Spot on.

J-C
22-05-2013, 11:17 PM

Post no.10 and it's a big thank you for your wonderful contribution to Hibs.net, I look forward to the rest of the gems from inside your brain in the future. :rolleyes:

Liberal Hibby
22-05-2013, 11:39 PM
I think if McPake were any near fit he'd have had at least 30 mins v Dundee - the fact he never made the bench shows he's nowhere near ready.

But like West Stand Loyal - I dont think Fenlon needs to play either. We have a perfectly good centre back pairing of McGivern and Hanlon and with Stevenson (a previous MoTM in a Hampden final) and Maybury (did he win the cup with them?) we have a decent defence without risking a 19 year old or a crocked McPake.

It also means the problem of how to slot Stevenson into the midfield is solved - allowing Taiwo, Claros and Thomson a to play with Harris, Doyle and Griffiths up front.

Forster will be on the bench I guess. And there's no reason why McPake can't pick up the cup - it never stopped John Terry did it?

IanM
23-05-2013, 07:39 AM
Just heard McPake on the radio saying he's willing to play through the pain barrier, take injections etc to play..

can't argue with his commitment.. You can understand his lapse in form if he's been injured but we can't afford any passangers on Sunday. Forster has looked an ideal replacement in recent weeks and the fact McPake will need injections proves he isn't 100% fit

I'll still get behind the starting 11 and the lads on the bench whoever Fenlon picks BUT Mcpake needs to be honest with himself, the manager and the fans. If he isn't fit, he can still be part of the squad and do his captains role from the bench/stand

Bill Milne
23-05-2013, 07:46 AM
Forster for me because McPake will not be fit and, consequently, will let us down.

hibsbollah
23-05-2013, 08:19 AM
Just heard McPake on the radio saying he's willing to play through the pain barrier, take injections etc to play..

can't argue with his commitment.. You can understand his lapse in form if he's been injured but we can't afford any passangers on Sunday. Forster has looked an ideal replacement in recent weeks and the fact McPake will need injections proves he isn't 100% fit

I'll still get behind the starting 11 and the lads on the bench whoever Fenlon picks BUT Mcpake needs to be honest with himself, the manager and the fans. If he isn't fit, he can still be part of the squad and do his captains role from the bench/stand

Fenlon will know far more than any of us how they have both looked in training this week. Im guessing he'll go for Forster, but If he goes with McPake i wont have any concerns.

Craig_in_Prague
23-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Fenlon will know far more than any of us how they have both looked in training this week. Im guessing he'll go for Forster, but If he goes with McPake i wont have any concerns.

I will. He clearly cannot be match fit and 100% capable.

We have to play Forster. This game is too big for any sentiments. I do NOT want us to look back on this game and remember McPake losing us a penalty or goals because he wasnt' fit.

ps. think back to Colin Hendry at Hampden against England.

hibsbollah
23-05-2013, 08:41 AM

If thats the case then Fenlon wont pick him.

Saturdays Hero
23-05-2013, 08:52 AM
A fit McPake would be a deffo starter but as said he cannot be anywhere near 100% fit & i would start Forster !!

Phil MaGlass
23-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Jordon has been excellent since he has come in and to be honest, like Harris, he should have had a chance sooner - but huge credit has to go to Paul Hanlon for me, for not only talking him through games, but looking like the experienced head and having a confidence I've not seen in him for a good while. At set pieces I've also rarely seen a centre half win as many headers and knock downs (as Jordon has) - he's a hugely courageous boy and for me he has to start in the final - nothing fazed him so far and he looks assured on the ball by keeping things nice and simple.

How good has Taiwo been these last few games by the way - he has been simply superb too in my opinion.

Definitely Forster for me but youre right about hanlon,deserves alot of credit, has taken unwarranted criticism from some, young lad leading by example showing even younger lads how its done, hat off to the guy.

Aldo
23-05-2013, 09:26 AM
I am sure having Maybury there has helped Forster (and Harris) as well but agree re Hanlon. Best defender at the club this season and was sorely missed when he was injured.

Beefster
23-05-2013, 09:52 AM

I'd think that the coaching and medical staff at East Mains will be able to judge that better than any of us.

jdships
23-05-2013, 10:17 AM
No contest for me
FORSTER is ' first pick' for Saturday
McPake will now , hopefully , become a squad player for the rest of his contract :flag:

Saturdays Hero
23-05-2013, 10:20 AM
No contest for me
FORSTER is ' first pick' for Saturday
McPake will now , hopefully , become a squad player for the rest of his contract :flag:

Hopefully....that's harsh on McPake :-( a fit McPake would be a fantastic addition to any starting 11.

EdinMike
23-05-2013, 10:23 AM

Drop Hanlon ?! You having a Giraffe ?!

I feel for James, I really do. I reckon he'll make the bench and if we are winning in the 80th odd minute bring him on and let him lift the cup. He deserves that much. But one man is not greater than the team. And it's the teams overall achievement I care about.

Craig_in_Prague
23-05-2013, 10:34 AM
I'd think that the coaching and medical staff at East Mains will be able to judge that better than any of us.

So football managers have never picked a player despite him not being 100% and then the fans left peed off later, as it clearly wasn't right choice?

He has not been playing lately and a couple of days training this week, is not enough IMHO, to say he can be 100% match sharp and ready to deal with the countries best side.

Beefster
23-05-2013, 11:05 AM
So football managers have never picked a player despite him not being 100% and then the fans left peed off later, as it clearly wasn't right choice?

He has not been playing lately and a couple of days training this week, is not enough IMHO, to say he can be 100% match sharp and ready to deal with the countries best side.

I'm sure they have. Managers make the wrong decisions frequently.

I still maintain that a medical professional at EM is more likely to know what condition McPake is in and help make a subsequent decision on Sunday than us. Us claiming that he can't possibly be fit and shouldn't start under any circumstances is just guessing.

Craig_in_Prague
23-05-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm sure they have. Managers make the wrong decisions frequently.

I still maintain that a medical professional at EM is more likely to know what condition McPake is in and help make a subsequent decision on Sunday than us. Us claiming that he can't possibly be fit and shouldn't start under any circumstances is just guessing.

the medical staff will judge if he can be passed fit to play the game; but it is always then up to the manager to decide if he will start - and based on his lack of game time of late (and lets face it the last really good performance was when?), and fine performances from Forster, I just hope Pat doesn't choose James over Forster based on sentiment. Anyone that has played football (at any level) will know what it's like playing reguarly for a few weeks, you feel good and are sharper.... have a few weeks out due to injury, then come back training and playing - and you just aint as sharp. Some might not be like that, but from what I see of McPake he is certainly one of them.

Anyway, from what I read this week Pat is given him until Friday, then will decide on him playing or not.

I trust Pat to make the right call & honestly feel Forster stepping in has made it easier for him to leave out James.

Stevie Reid
23-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Jake's struggling, but being the man he is, if he plays he'll do his very best for the team.

His back problem's a bad one, and needs sorting. I'm no fan of people playing with pain-killing injections, frankly - first, it doesn't really sort out the basic problem, and second, playing with a major injury and painkillers does the player no good at all for the long-term.

I'm old enough to remember Allan McGraw playing game after game with cortisone injections. Allan had major knee problems which caused him great pain, and he played on with those problems and painkillers together. If I'm not mistaken, he's now almost completely crippled and still suffers great pain. A more genuine, decent player you could not meet, but no football match is worth that.

Jake has contributed massively to the turnaround in attitudes at the club, and I for one have huge respect for him and want to see him back in the green-and white shirt next season as a fit man to lead us into at least one European tie and hopefully onwards and upwards in the SPL table.

I don't want the guy crippled, and I wouldn't want him to be picked and fail and have to be subbed and end up feeling he's been the weak link that let the team and the supporters down.

For all reasons I would play Jordon Forster - unless Jake is 100% fit and moving freely and without pain. It doesn't sound as if that's the case, but he'd be more than entitled to a medal and holds a very warm place in the hearts and affections of all Hibees.

If he doesn't make it, we'll just have to do this all over again next year.

Couldn't agree more with the bits in bold, I've made a few comments in the various threads about McPake in the last few weeks, and have always reiterated that as club captain, he will always have my respect and support whenever he plays.

--------
23-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Anyone remember a semi at Hampden under McLeish? Derek Collins was passed fit and he clearly wasn't remotely match fit and we suffered because of it. McPake deserves to help lift the Cup if it does happen and the guy has a huge heart. But Forster has to play.

Yes I do remember that game. Collins was understandably desperate to play and assured McLeish that he was fit. He broke down halfway through the first 45, which led to an unnecessary rearrangement of the team and the loss of one of our three subs, none of which was helpful in a game which we had started with a reasonable chance of winning.

I have a huge respect for Jake, and I'm not happy about some of the posters on this thread now starting to bad-mouth him. He's our club captain, and his commitment and dedication shouldn't be in question in anyone's mind. He wants to play in the Final - who wouldn't, in his position? This isn't about a good guy and a bad guy, or a good player and a bad player. Or even about who 'deserves' to play on Sunday.

I was speaking to a Celtic supporter yesterday who was quite clear he'd rather McPake didn't play. That's how a lot of them see things - Jake out is an advantage to them. I hope he makes it, even to take a place on the bench. I would also say that if we WERE to win the game, no one should even think of touching the trophy before him - he goes up last behind the team and hoists the silver for all to see. He deserves that.

But if Jake isn't fully fit, Jordon Forster has done enough to merit our confidence. I think this thread has outlived its usefulness, frankly. We shouldn't be putting our captain down three days before the Final, as some of us are doing.

So long as everyone picked turns up and plays and gives 100%, I'll be happy, regardless of the result.

What I'm NOT looking forward to is the prospect of a bunch of "Who's to blame this time?" threads on here on the Sunday evening if we lose.

Teapot
23-05-2013, 11:27 AM
McPake was immense for use last season. Even at home to hearts in August he was immense, god knows what's happened this year. We can only speculate. I think he makes a big difference in the changing room judging by what the players say about him but unfortunately I would go with the in form player, Forster. Would definitely have him on the bench though to keep him involved.

Plus looking at celtic over the past few weeks, defending set pieces will be a problem for us and Forster is a bit better in the air. Maybury will have to have the game of his life as well because any of those celtic players who can play on the left wing (commons, samaras, forrest) have real quality.

--------
23-05-2013, 11:43 AM
McPake was immense for use last season. Even at home to hearts in August he was immense, god knows what's happened this year. We can only speculate. I think he makes a big difference in the changing room judging by what the players say about him but unfortunately I would go with the in form player, Forster. Would definitely have him on the bench though to keep him involved.

Plus looking at Celtic over the past few weeks, defending set pieces will be a problem for us and Forster is a bit better in the air. Maybury will have to have the game of his life as well because any of those Celtic players who can play on the left wing (Commons, Samaras, Forrest) have real quality.

My understanding (on good account) is that James had a pre-existing back problem going back to an injury he suffered some time ago which was under control until he was injured again during the first half of this season. He tried to play on through it - as one does - hoping it would sort itself out with treatment between matches. Such things do happen, but sadly not in this case. As I understand the case, he really needs to have proper treatment - possibly surgery - in the close season. If he gets that treatment, there's no reason he won't be back as good as before. I really don't like the idea of his playing through the pain relying in big doses of pain-killing drugs. This isn't a good idea long-term, IMO.

The club knew about his problem - there was no dishonesty involved - but since everybody and his/her auntie were on here in the summer demanding his signing as a "statement of intent" from the board, I guess the board felt they had no option. (Not that there was much argument, tbh. It was a no-brainer to me that we should get him signed PDQ and be done with it.) They made a decision, and I was all in favour of that decision at the time, and I still think we were absolutely right to sign the guy. like you, I'm absolutely clear, he has to be right in there at the heart of everything that happens in the Hibs dressing-room and dug-out on Sunday.

IMHO James has unquestionably been a more than positive influence in the dressing-room and team this season, even half-fit as he has been for the last few months, ad doesn't deserve the criticism some of us are throwing at him. I agree with your point about Alan Maybury, too - he's a sound character and another really positive influence on the younger player, but Pat WILL have to consider whether he'll be able to cope with the pace of those players you mention. Maybe a back four of Stevenson, Forster, Hanlon, and McGivern (that's right-to-left, btw) with KT playing in front of the centre-backs would be the best option. I don't know - my teams never have to take the field; Pat will have to make a choice ad go with it.

JimBHibees
23-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Yes I do remember that game. Collins was understandably desperate to play and assured McLeish that he was fit. He broke down halfway through the first 45, which led to an unnecessary rearrangement of the team and the loss of one of our three subs, none of which was helpful in a game which we had started with a reasonable chance of winning.

I have a huge respect for Jake, and I'm not happy about some of the posters on this thread now starting to bad-mouth him. He's our club captain, and his commitment and dedication shouldn't be in question in anyone's mind. He wants to play in the Final - who wouldn't, in his position? This isn't about a good guy and a bad guy, or a good player and a bad player. Or even about who 'deserves' to play on Sunday.

I was speaking to a Celtic supporter yesterday who was quite clear he'd rather McPake didn't play. That's how a lot of them see things - Jake out is an advantage to them. I hope he makes it, even to take a place on the bench. I would also say that if we WERE to win the game, no one should even think of touching the trophy before him - he goes up last behind the team and hoists the silver for all to see. He deserves that.

But if Jake isn't fully fit, Jordon Forster has done enough to merit our confidence. I think this thread has outlived its usefulness, frankly. We shouldn't be putting our captain down three days before the Final, as some of us are doing.

So long as everyone picked turns up and plays and gives 100%, I'll be happy, regardless of the result.

What I'm NOT looking forward to is the prospect of a bunch of "Who's to blame this time?" threads on here on the Sunday evening if we lose.

Completely agree with that. The guy has been a big influence on the team and the club since he has been here and unfortunately is struggling with an injury however he plays with a massive heart and always gives his all and for that alone deserves massive respect form the Hibs support IMO.

jdships
23-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Hopefully....that's harsh on McPake :-( a fit McPake would be a fantastic addition to any starting 11.

McPake was immense for us last season.
In the opinion of most Hibbees I speak with McPake has just not ' walked the walk ' this season and I have to agree that he is not as good as he is being made out to be .
Forster is maybe young but he has impressed with his attitude and performances and for me Hanlon looks a better player with him alongside .

Whoever is given the shirt the manager will get stick if we get beat :greengrin

:flag:

Keith_M
23-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Well, in my dream final, McPake will be brought on in the 94th minute with the scores at 0-0.

He'll go up front to help challenge at a corner, trip over his own feet, do a half somersault and the crossed in ball will bounce off his backside and into the net. At that point, Ginger Whinger's head will literally explode with rage.

You heard it here first :greengrin

Teapot
23-05-2013, 12:40 PM
My understanding (on good account) is that James had a pre-existing back problem going back to an injury he suffered some time ago which was under control until he was injured again during the first half of this season. He tried to play on through it - as one does - hoping it would sort itself out with treatment between matches. Such things do happen, but sadly not in this case. As I understand the case, he really needs to have proper treatment - possibly surgery - in the close season. If he gets that treatment, there's no reason he won't be back as good as before. I really don't like the idea of his playing through the pain relying in big doses of pain-killing drugs. This isn't a good idea long-term, IMO.

The club knew about his problem - there was no dishonesty involved - but since everybody and his/her auntie were on here in the summer demanding his signing as a "statement of intent" from the board, I guess the board felt they had no option. (Not that there was much argument, tbh. It was a no-brainer to me that we should get him signed PDQ and be done with it.) They made a decision, and I was all in favour of that decision at the time, and I still think we were absolutely right to sign the guy. like you, I'm absolutely clear, he has to be right in there at the heart of everything that happens in the Hibs dressing-room and dug-out on Sunday.

IMHO James has unquestionably been a more than positive influence in the dressing-room and team this season, even half-fit as he has been for the last few months, ad doesn't deserve the criticism some of us are throwing at him. I agree with your point about Alan Maybury, too - he's a sound character and another really positive influence on the younger player, but Pat WILL have to consider whether he'll be able to cope with the pace of those players you mention. Maybe a back four of Stevenson, Forster, Hanlon, and McGivern (that's right-to-left, btw) with KT playing in front of the centre-backs would be the best option. I don't know - my teams never have to take the field; Pat will have to make a choice ad go with it.

Totally agree. I vaguely remember there was hesitation in signing McPake because of this back injury he suffered a while ago. Did he break a small bone in his back or am i getting mixed up? Anyway i would definitely give him a prolonged rest (after sunday) to get this condition sorted especially now we look to have a good young center half breaking through.

Re the full back positions I rate both McGivern and stevenson in this position but i think players running at them is probably both players biggest weakness as well. Especially McGivern when i think back to humphreys in the 3-2 game at ER and mackay steven in the 2-2 game at Tannadice. One of the most important issues that Paddy has to get right for me. I have faith in paddy though to make the right decision though.

J-C
23-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Totally agree. I vaguely remember there was hesitation in signing McPake because of this back injury he suffered a while ago. Did he break a small bone in his back or am i getting mixed up? Anyway i would definitely give him a prolonged rest (after sunday) to get this condition sorted especially now we look to have a good young center half breaking through.

Re the full back positions I rate both McGivern and stevenson in this position but i think players running at them is probably both players biggest weakness as well. Especially McGivern when i think back to humphreys in the 3-2 game at ER and mackay steven in the 2-2 game at Tannadice. One of the most important issues that Paddy has to get right for me. I have faith in paddy though to make the right decision though.

He had about 6 months off with this prior to him joining us on loan, maybe the reason Coventry were not to fussed about him coming here.

Arthur Duncan
23-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Forster for me, tough on McP. Defensively not much between them but the Forster is more composed on the ball. Rewatched 2nd half of the semi last night and even when we were all over Falkirk, McPake didn't know what do with the ball from his half. Too many short sideways passes or lumps upfield for me. Compare that to some excellent probing passes from Forster against Dundee - ok i've only seen him play the one game. i know McPake would give his all and there is a risk taht the occasion gets to Forster but he got my vote.

Jonnyboy
23-05-2013, 08:11 PM

We have to play Forster. This game is too big for any sentiments. I do NOT want us to look back on this game and remember McPake losing us a penalty or goals because he wasnt' fit.

ps. think back to Colin Hendry at Hampden against England.

If thats the case then Fenlon wont pick him.

That cannae be right. I'm sure I read on here that Pat is forcing an injured McPake to risk his health by playing him :wink: