PDA

View Full Version : Lap of Honour

DaveF
18-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Or appreciation. Or whatever it was.

Not really a fan of this, especially when we have not done anything this season (yet) but I actually thought it was a nice touch to let the players bring their kids onto the park. Griffiths has his work cut out with the way his 2 were tearing round the pitch :greengrin

Mikey
18-05-2013, 06:15 PM
When Claros' wee one threw a tantrum and was waving his arms around it reminded me of a few posters on here :greengrin

Jonnyboy
18-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Poor show by the fans what with most of them staying. Big teams don't suffer that :wink:

Fergus52
18-05-2013, 06:19 PM

Not really a fan of this, especially when we have not done anything this season (yet) but I actually thought it was a nice touch to let the players bring their kids onto the park. Griffiths has his work cut out with the way his 2 were tearing round the pitch :greengrin

was brilliant when Griffiths booted the ball and the wee laddie chased it the length of the pitch

hibee_girl
18-05-2013, 06:23 PM
It was also a nice touch to have the players kids as mascots today :agree:

Devilstorment
18-05-2013, 06:32 PM

I think you miss the point slightly, they were thanking us for supporting them throughout the season. I dont think it was us cheering them for a successful season

Carheenlea
18-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Was very well received. Of course the feel good factor was there on the back of a good performance and a third consecutive victory, and the big day ahead next Sunday. Leighs kids were certainly entertaining with their rampaging about the park and goals!

DaveF
18-05-2013, 06:45 PM
I think you miss the point slightly, they were thanking us for supporting them throughout the season. I dont think it was us cheering them for a successful season

Not really. They say 'thanks' at the end of every game to the fans. I don't really like the concept of the whole thing. it could have been a Kilmarnock situation where they lost and said 'thanks' to about 200 fans.

greenlex
18-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Highlight of my day.

Devilstorment
18-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Not really. They say 'thanks' at the end of every game to the fans. I don't really like the concept of the whole thing. it could have been a Kilmarnock situation where they lost and said 'thanks' to about 200 fans.

fair enough, have to agree to disagree on it. I thought it was a classy thing to do and a good way to pull the curtain down on the season at Easter Road

hibby rae
18-05-2013, 06:51 PM
When Claros' wee one threw a tantrum and was waving his arms around it reminded me of a few posters on here :greengrin

She seemed to be a fan of the Undertones! Very cute. The club obviously makes the players families feel welcome. I imagine it's one of the reasons why players like Sparky and Jorge would like to continue their careers with us. And it's something that makes me feel proud to be a Hibernian supporter.

hibby rae
18-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Highlight of my day.

I felt quite emotional. God knows what I might be like next week if it happens!

HibeeSince85
18-05-2013, 07:02 PM
I enjoyed it. Season is over, think that no matter what it's important for both players and fans.

Hampden we go, GGTTH!

Franck Stanton
18-05-2013, 07:06 PM
DaveF -- Not being funny here mate, but if you don't like it, just leave the ground at the final whistle. A lot of the fans do like it and I for one was in two minds about going today however , as it was last Home game and knew this would happen I changed my mind and attended, more to show my appreciation and see the players at end of game. Don't see the point in starting a thread about it though.

greenlex
18-05-2013, 07:09 PM
She seemed to be a fan of the Undertones! Very cute. The club obviously makes the players families feel welcome. I imagine it's one of the reasons why players like Sparky and Jorge would like to continue their careers with us. And it's something that makes me feel proud to be a Hibernian supporter.
Unless Johan is a Honduran Girls name she is a he. :greengrin

DaveF
18-05-2013, 07:13 PM
DaveF -- Not being funny here mate, but if you don't like it, just leave the ground at the final whistle. A lot of the fans do like it and I for one was in two minds about going today however , as it was last Home game and knew this would happen I changed my mind and attended, more to show my appreciation and see the players at end of game. Don't see the point in starting a thread about it though.

:greengrin Chill Mr Eric, I wasn't actually booing the players and kids as they walked around!

If you read my OP again, I just said I wasn't really a fan of it. I also went on to contradict myself and say how good it was to see the players kids out there.

Relax - we're off to Hampden :thumbsup:

hibby rae
18-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Unless Johan is a Honduran Girls name she is a he. :greengrin

:embarrass :foot: :offski:

Titch
18-05-2013, 07:23 PM
McGivern gave my wee boy his top which was a nice gesture:aok:

Green Fish
18-05-2013, 07:39 PM
McGivern gave my wee boy his top which was a nice gesture:aok:

I saw him give his shirt over, nice touch. Williams was also, great for the kids. Stuff they will remember and treasure. :top marks

hibs0666
18-05-2013, 07:45 PM

It's easy enough to choose to leave if you don't want to partake.

monktonharp
18-05-2013, 07:55 PM
It's easy enough to choose to leave if you don't want to partake. I took that option, but I have no problem with others that stayed. I will stay next Sunday, to cheer our boys and sing sunshine on Leith then.

hibs4thecup1988
18-05-2013, 08:09 PM
I felt quite emotional. God knows what I might be like next week if it happens!

Exactly the same. My wee lad said "Dad you look like crying". It was due to the fact of seeing Sparky leave the pitch for potentially the last time. I liked today, I wasn't at the game vs Dunfy last year.

As you say...god knows what I will be like next week if we win. I was in tears at the Semi Final at full time...it is gonna be a flood next week, and I am driving...haha

Jonnyboy
18-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Are you in it? :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xGet2IMQNk&feature=youtube_gdata

down-the-slope
18-05-2013, 08:15 PM
was brilliant when Griffiths booted the ball and the wee laddie chased it the length of the pitch

Child cruelty :agree:

hibby rae
18-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Exactly the same. My wee lad said "Dad you look like crying". It was due to the fact of seeing Sparky leave the pitch for potentially the last time. I liked today, I wasn't at the game vs Dunfy last year.

As you say...god knows what I will be like next week if we win. I was in tears at the Semi Final at full time...it is gonna be a flood next week, and I am driving...haha

My brother likened it to saying farewell to your ex and watching her walk away in the rain. And you knew you'd been punching above your weight and would never repeat it.

Christ I think I might have to go and hug my knees in a darkened room.

DaveF
18-05-2013, 08:16 PM
It's easy enough to choose to leave if you don't want to partake.

Thanks. Never knew that :greengrin

hibs4thecup1988
18-05-2013, 08:18 PM
My brother likened it to saying farewell to your ex and watching walk away in the rain. And you knew you'd be punching above your weight and would never repeat it.

:boo hoo::boo hoo:

Cheers for reminding me of my ex :greengrin

But that is a great comparison. Just pray to god he is back next year. :agree:

SaulGoodman
18-05-2013, 08:18 PM
He'll be back :agree:

Mr White
18-05-2013, 08:19 PM
i really enjoyed it. the boys have done really well these last 6 days and we go to hampden on the back of a good run. Seeing the players kids on the park was a great touch and a real symbol of what we are- a family club who are all in it together heading towards a chance to give edinburgh a moment of real historical importance and a party the like of which may never be seen again. :flag:

HibeeN
18-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Really nice touch. I said on another thread, it really felt like one big happy Hibee family at the end today! :thumbsup: The players' kids really seemed to enjoy it as well and it was a nice way to say goodbye to a couple who we may not see next season. Big Ben in particular was great for bringing a bag of stuff to throw into the crowd, and it was fun watching Leigh's two run around enjoying themselves.

GreenCastle
18-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Thought it was good and although I agree bottom 6 isn't where we should be - there are signs of progression and more of a togetherness about the club and squad than previous years.

Pat has his flaws - if he didn't he would be in the EPL by now but he is learning and we are playing much better football than previous years plus young players are getting the chance.

Fenlon has also brought LG to the club and the guy has been amazing this season. Was sad to see him leave the pitch today but have a feeling he will be back - he loves the place and is really appreciated. Won't get that at many other clubs.

Was very funny seeing LG's kids on the pitch - taking the ball and kicking it in the goal - then chasing the whole length of the pitch before another players child picked it up - nice family touch from the club / management.

hibby rae
18-05-2013, 08:34 PM

:agree:

Gatecrasher
18-05-2013, 08:36 PM
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff217/livi_hibee/20130518_170020.jpg (http://s243.photobucket.com/user/livi_hibee/media/20130518_170020.jpg.html)
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff217/livi_hibee/20130518_170143.jpg (http://s243.photobucket.com/user/livi_hibee/media/20130518_170143.jpg.html)

stoneyburn hibs
18-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Did not look like it was a farewell from Sparky during the lap of honour, hopefully not.

rcarter1
18-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Did not look like it was a farewell from Sparky during the lap of honour, hopefully not.

Better not be, we've a game on Sunday!!! :greengrin

Mr White
18-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Fenlon has also brought LG to the club

despite his obvious lack of managerial ability and barely disguised contempt shown towards the club, it was actually colin "number 2" calderwood that brought leigh to hibs, or at least he was the manager at the time.

EdinMike
18-05-2013, 08:51 PM
I wasn't even at the game *I was working before you lot start :wink:* But I got a bit teary just watching that video !

I think it's a fitting thing to do at the end of a season, It's them thanking us as well. And as some say, I've no idea whether I'll laugh or cry "If" we see another lap of honour next week...:agree:

GreenCastle
18-05-2013, 08:55 PM
despite his obvious lack of managerial ability and barely disguised contempt shown towards the club, it was actually colin "number 2" calderwood that brought leigh to hibs, or at least he was the manager at the time.

True - :agree: Though Fenlon has really got the best out of him.

greenlex
18-05-2013, 09:17 PM

Have you just outed yourself by praying your male ex is back next year?

lugz
18-05-2013, 09:27 PM
As an aside - luckily it wasn't spoiled by the idiot from the East stand who decided to run onto the pitch and loiter there for a while. Seemed he couldn't make his mind up whether to make a run for it towards the players or not and eventually got ushered off by the stewards.

The players were there with their kids, so it would have been understandable if they'd stopped the lap if more people had run on. It would have been a shame to see it cut short because of people running onto the pitch, and if the unthinkable happens and we bring back the cup to Easter Road, I hope that the celebrations aren't ruined by a few like in '07.

The guy your talking about is an absolute idiot, ran on trying to act smart and be the big man infront of mates, was taken out by stewards and police. Will no doubt have his details taken and receive a ban from the club.

leggeto
18-05-2013, 09:41 PM
I gave paddy a shout now for next week paddy next week,he gave a discrete acknowledged nod of the head as if to say im on it son,can't wait we are going to doo them:flag:

ronaldo7
18-05-2013, 09:52 PM
I watched Sparky's wee laddie bang one in down the slope rather than see the team passing by the East.

Well worth the wait.

seanraff07
18-05-2013, 09:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9e3PGBp1iw&feature=youtu.be

Video quality is ***** but that's the erse pitch invader. He didn't even bother to give the stewards the runaround :greengrin

clerriehibs
18-05-2013, 10:07 PM
As an aside - luckily it wasn't spoiled by the idiot from the East stand who decided to run onto the pitch and loiter there for a while. Seemed he couldn't make his mind up whether to make a run for it towards the players or not and eventually got ushered off by the stewards.

The players were there with their kids, so it would have been understandable if they'd stopped the lap if more people had run on. It would have been a shame to see it cut short because of people running onto the pitch, and if the unthinkable happens and we bring back the cup to Easter Road, I hope that the celebrations aren't ruined by a few like in '07.

The wee nyaff might well have screwed up his chance of seeing the mighty hibees win at hampden as well, if he gets fast-tracked into a banning order. Whit a clown.

Thecat23
18-05-2013, 10:13 PM
The pics of the Hearts lap of honor were hilarious. The players looked like they would take a hand job off Edward Scissor hands than walk round the pitch.

At least we had the feel good factor for our boys to come out too. Lets hope it's not the last lap of honor this season ;)

Speedy
18-05-2013, 10:18 PM
The wee nyaff might well have screwed up his chance of seeing the mighty hibees win at hampden as well, if he gets fast-tracked into a banning order. Whit a clown.

Hope not.

Silly, and pointless, thing to do but doesn't sound like any harm was done.

Looking like an erse is punishment enough imo.

NOLA
18-05-2013, 10:20 PM
My brother likened it to saying farewell to your ex and watching her walk away in the rain. And you knew you'd been punching above your weight and would never repeat it.

thanks for bringing my ex into it, anyone else i dont know about :I'm waiti

Lang Toun Hibs
18-05-2013, 10:35 PM
fair enough, have to agree to disagree on it. I thought it was a classy thing to do and a good way to pull the curtain down on the season at Easter Road

Totally agree but I've got a really good feeling that I might be back a week on monday for a final curtain call!

LeighLoyal
18-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Nice to give the lads a bit of encouragement and appreciation before the final.

Sir David Gray
18-05-2013, 10:43 PM

That thought had crossed my mind as well when I saw him.

What a numpty, potentially jeopardising his place at Hampden next week for really no reason at all.

danhibees1875
18-05-2013, 11:10 PM

:agree:

Didn't understand it at all. He got on and done nothing then slowly walked back until he was eventually taken away. :confused:

mikethehibee69
18-05-2013, 11:30 PM
A absolutely loved that. What a laugh watching sparky and his kids, hilarious when he kicked the ball the full length of the pitch and the wee man sprinted off and got the ball at the other end!! Fantastic moment and I thank you Hibernian FC for that moment!! Ggtth

Twiglet
18-05-2013, 11:45 PM
A absolutely loved that. What a laugh watching sparky and his kids, hilarious when he kicked the ball the full length of the pitch and the wee man sprinted off and got the ball at the other end!! Fantastic moment and I thank you Hibernian FC for that moment!! Ggtth

He didn't, Ben Williams wee one got there first! He kinda stopped, looked back at Leigh, started to run again, then eventually ended up with Leigh without the ball. :(

Hibercelona
19-05-2013, 02:11 AM

But isn't Griffiths an awful neglectful father? :blah:

It said so in the papers, so it must be true.

:giruy:

givescotlandfreedom
19-05-2013, 02:36 AM
I saw it as a send off to the boys before the cup final. I'm glad most of us stayed behind too - no matter what happens next week we were able to wish them all the best and thank them for their efforts this season and vice versa. Bringing their kids on was a nice touch.
McPake looked gutted. Whether he was just emotional with being out with the fans or he won't make next week I don't know.

marinello59
19-05-2013, 05:46 AM
It was also a nice touch to have the players kids as mascots today :agree:

'And today's lucky mascots are....' :greengrin
I loved the whole thing, it really did feel like we were the Hibernian family. When we invest so much time and emotional energy shouting encouraging and not so encouraging remarks at our players it is easy to forget that they are just ordinary guys lucky enough to do an extraordinary job. Events like yesterday surely bring us all closer, the disconnect between the club and fans that many felt over recent seasons now looks to be being addressed.
GGTTH.
:flag:

19-05-2013, 05:56 AM
I enjoyed the lap of honour, nice send off to hampden and shows the feel good factor we have at the club right now :thumbsup:

Sparkys kids have scored more goals at Easter Road than hearts this season, Rod get them signed up ASAP :greengrin Haha hilarious watching the wee ones running about, looked like they were having a ball.

s.a.m
19-05-2013, 08:10 AM
I loved the whole thing, it really did feel like we were the Hibernian family. When we invest so much time and emotional energy shouting encouraging and not so encouraging remarks at our players it is easy to forget that they are just ordinary guys lucky enough to do an extraordinary job. Events like yesterday surely bring us all closer, the disconnect between the club and fans that many felt over recent seasons now looks to be being addressed.
GGTTH.

That sums it up for me.

19-05-2013, 08:24 AM
GGTTH.

I totally agree. We have experienced the worst day in our history last May but together we have stuck through it and gotten stronger. The jambos after the final were giving it "your club will fall apart" but in fact quite the opposite has happened, we haven't crumbled and the fans have stood firmly behind the club and that togetherness has made us stronger. I doubt the same would have happened with them had we won last May.

Hampden days are the best, really looking forward to travelling through to hampden for anouther hibee day out :thumbsup::flag:

CraigK
19-05-2013, 08:27 AM
McPake looked gutted. Whether he was just emotional with being out with the fans or he won't make next week I don't know.

I noticed this as well, he looked completely crestfallen to me. If he plays we need a James McPake with fire in his belly next week.

19-05-2013, 08:30 AM
I noticed this as well, he looked completely crestfallen to me. If he plays we need a James McPake with fire in his belly next week.

Absolutely, massive game so we need our captain to motivate and inspire everyone in the dressing room and on the park. Someone that keeps the heads up even we we go behind.

Keith_M
19-05-2013, 09:20 AM
thanks for bringing my ex into it, anyone else i dont know about :I'm waiti

What about that thing she used to do with her tongue!

Ah, the memories :greengrin

Devilstorment
19-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Hope not.

Silly, and pointless, thing to do but doesn't sound like any harm was done.

Looking like an erse is punishment enough imo.

Disagree with you on that one, little fud's like that are the kind of degenerates that we can do without. If its ok for 1 to go on the pitch and fanny about then where do you draw the line?

hibby rae
19-05-2013, 12:20 PM
What about that thing she used to do with her tongue!

Ah, the memories :greengrin

:slipper:

clerriehibs
19-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Disagree with you on that one, little fud's like that are the kind of degenerates that we can do without. If its ok for 1 to go on the pitch and fanny about then where do you draw the line?

He was gesturing for others to join him too, which could have gone badly wrong had there been any stupid enough to do so.

FromTheCapital
19-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Leigh Griffiths' wee laddie looks like a handful. Great pace and bombed it down the length of the pitch, only for Big Ben's wee guy to pick up the ball before Leigh's lad decided to sprint all the way back over to Griffiths. Didn't want to leave the pitch and kept running away and picking up the ball to try and score. Looks like he'd been a pain in the arse. :greengrin

wearethehibs
19-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Really enjoyed it. Just kind of wish they had turned of the blaring music so we could have had a proper sing song.

Speedway
19-05-2013, 01:54 PM
When the bairns were kicking the ball round, Lewis' kid misplaced a pass, giving away possession and got roundly booed by the fans. Classless.

hibby rae
19-05-2013, 02:49 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/Teddymaybs/status/335814180236042240/photo/1

From Alan Maybury's twitter page.

Mikey
19-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Anyone else notice the lone Dundee fan who stayed? The stewards failed to move him on so then the police started on him, and all he wanted to do was stay and clap Hibs.

Here he is when he eventually left, but I'm sure he would have stayed longer given the chance...................

Pretty poor show from the stewards and police.

Sir David Gray
19-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Anyone else notice the lone Dundee fan who stayed? The stewards failed to move him on so then the police started on him, and all he wanted to do was stay and clap Hibs.

Here he is when he eventually left, but I'm sure he would have stayed longer given the chance...................

Pretty poor show from the stewards and police.

Didn't notice this yesterday at the game.

Whilst I don't quite understand staying behind to watch another team do a lap of honour, if that's what you do want to do then I don't see what's wrong with that.

He's hardly doing anyone any harm.

Hibby70
19-05-2013, 06:55 PM
McPake actually looked in pain, can't see him making it next week. Leigh didn't look like he was making his last appearance at Easter Road (although that might just have been him doing a human version if one man and his dog).

Noticed the lone Dundee fan - police obviously wanted to clear the stand and get home for their tea.

Obvious family feel to yesterday, has to help keep the likes of Thomson and Claros. Properly run club.