PDA

View Full Version : Injuries before previous Cup Finals

hibs4thecup1988
17-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Hi folks,

Was discussing things with a friend at work today, and with certain players struggling, McPake, McGivern, Clancy.

I said that we should not risk any of the three if not fully fit, players able to take their place... Forster, Stevenson, Maybury.

I said that I am sure we risked a player at a previous cup final who had to come off after like 20 minutes, was I dreaming or can someone confirm?

JeMeSouviens
17-05-2013, 12:17 PM
2001 cup final, the great Franck Sauzée was injured the previous week in a nothing end of season defeat at Ibrox. He played in the final (don't think he was subbed) on one leg. Was still one of the best players on show. It was Latapy we really missed. :boo hoo:

7 Hills
17-05-2013, 12:26 PM
I think that you're thinking of Derek Collins who came off in a semi-final we lost to Aberdeen. GJP was raging as Collins had declared himself fit.

hibs4thecup1988
17-05-2013, 12:44 PM
I think that you're thinking of Derek Collins who came off in a semi-final we lost to Aberdeen. GJP was raging as Collins had declared himself fit.

THAT'S the one! He came off very early IIRC? 20 mins in?

Thank you for that, I knew it was Collins. Just thought it was the celtic final.

Shows though that we cannot take risks. Going to be a big 9 days for Paddy

7 Hills
17-05-2013, 01:09 PM
THAT'S the one! He came off very early IIRC? 20 mins in?

Thank you for that, I knew it was Collins. Just thought it was the celtic final.

Shows though that we cannot take risks. Going to be a big 9 days for Paddy

Yep, he came off really early. As I said, McLeish wasn't happy as he had to change his game plan around.

SlickShoes
17-05-2013, 01:13 PM
That 2001 final was brutal, Latapy being all but sacked the week before and Franck getting injured, our two best players, typical hibs thing to happen.

zlatan
17-05-2013, 01:19 PM
That 2001 final was brutal, Latapy being all but sacked the week before and Franck getting injured, our two best players, typical hibs thing to happen.

And exactly why Griffiths and Harris should be nowhere near the pitch tomorrow.

Onion
17-05-2013, 01:19 PM

:agree:Still remember that, off after 20 mins, never seen GJP so mad at a player.

Jonnyboy
17-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Similar thing in an earlier cup semi at Dens v Aberdeen when an unfit Gordon Durie was risked. We got gubbed