PDA

View Full Version : Wolves exercise option on Griffiths contract

hibee92
17-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Patrick McPartlin ‏@p_mcpartlin (https://twitter.com/p_mcpartlin) 1m (https://twitter.com/p_mcpartlin/status/335342484563562496) #Wolves (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Wolves&src=hash) confirm they will keep Leigh Griffiths for another year, after his second loan spell ends at #Hibs (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Hibs&src=hash).

Gutted.

R'Albin
17-05-2013, 10:34 AM
"#wolves (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23wolves&src=hash) have confirmed they'll be keeping Leigh Giffiths for another 12 months following his successful loan spell at Hibs"

I certainly haven't seen any confirmation anywhere?

Leishy1995
17-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Wolves confirm it on their site

Hermit Crab
Latest on twitter.

“@Agent_868: Lee Griffiths has told the Wolves board he wants to leave the club regardless of whom the new manager may be.”

Part/Time Supporter
They've exercised the option on his contract.

http://www.wolves.co.uk/news/article/retained-list-826143.aspx

That doesn't mean he is going to play for them next year.

AugustaHibs
17-05-2013, 10:36 AM

i want to cry.

Keith_M
17-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Unless Hibs make an official bid for him, surely.

:dunno:

SlickShoes
17-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Sure Leigh will be thrilled to be playing in League 1

matty_f
Up yours, Wolves.

HibernianJK
All this means is hibs will have to pay a fee for him. If he doesn't want to play for Wolves, they won't look for much. They are now in league one and can do without fully committed players. He will be at hibs next year.

Since90+2
17-05-2013, 10:38 AM
After scoring nearly 30 goals in the SPL and winning Player of the Year Wolves will quite rightly looking for around 300k for him. Unfortunately I see that as the major stumbling block to him signing rather than the wages.

Leishy1995
All this means is hibs will have to pay a fee for him. If he doesn't want to play for Wolves, they won't look for much. They are now in league one and can do without fully committed players. He will be at hibs next year.

I hope so

Diclonius
They just want the money - they have no intention of playing him. **** you, Wolves.

Peevemor

i want to cry.

Given the deadline, it was always going to happen.

We can be sure that Hibs will pull out all the stops to keep him at ER.

Captain Trips
...IMO would be retaining Leigh it would for me be one of the biggest coups in many years at ER. We couldnt keep Stokes and Leigh has done even better. I think everyone on here would fully understand if he was to go as he has earned a decent contract but I think Hibs will push out everything to try and keep him.

Of course winning the cup could be an even bigger coup both would be nice though.

green glory
Latest on twitter.

“@Agent_868: Lee Griffiths has told the Wolves board he wants to leave the club regardless of whom the new manager may be.”

Cue possibly another loan?

Elephant Stone

There will be interested clubs able to pay a hell of a lot more than we can. It's not looking good to me.

SlickShoes
17-05-2013, 10:39 AM
They are saying " we want money for him ", not taking up the option on him would mean they are letting a guy that just scored probably 30+ goals walk out the door for free.

Jones28
Just because they've excercised it doesn't mean Leigh has to stay...does it?

Andy74
No change. He was always contracted to them for next year.

hibee92
Good timing.

Patrick McPartlin ‏@p_mcpartlin (https://twitter.com/p_mcpartlin) 7m (https://twitter.com/p_mcpartlin/status/335342484563562496) #Wolves (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Wolves&src=hash) confirm they will keep Leigh Griffiths for another year, after his second loan spell ends at #Hibs (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Hibs&src=hash).

Sergio sledge
Wolves strengthen their bargaining position. Always to be expected especially considering the season he has had. If he doesn't want to play for them then they will look to sell and I'm sure there'll be no shortage of offers. It is up to Hibs now to put in an acceptable offer to Wolves.

Aldo
17-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Think we all knew this was going to happen. They are after a fee for him... Regardless of what they want... And yes I know they hold his contract but the more time goes on the less they will get for him. Pretty confident a deal will be sorted and we will see him at ER next season.

Hermit Crab
They just want the money - they have no intention of playing him. **** you, Wolves.

To be fair Petrie would do the same.

Hibbylad86
Carlsberg!

You jinxed it!!!!!

Jones28
If we can get Keith wright for half a million surely the stops can be pulled out to get Leigh back!

SlickShoes
There will be interested clubs able to pay a hell of a lot more than we can. It's not looking good to me.

Who?

Is it always about the money? Leigh is a hibs fan, no team in the Premiership will be looking at him seriously so that leaves us with clubs in the championship, not exactly a thrilling place to ply your trade. Neither is the SPL but at least he is a hibs fan.

.Sean.
Nonsense. He won't be at Wolves next year even if they have taken up the option. As if he's going to play in a league as ***** as that.

Keith_M
Doesn't mean this is final. Wolves are making the sensible business decision; they either have the SPL player of the year or get the opportunity to cash in on him.

It's now up to whether he really would like to transfer to Hibs and if Petrie is willing to pay for him.

I'm no businessman, but it surely would be considered an investment. Buy a top class player that only has one year left on his contract, sign him for four years then sell him off early for a massive profit.

Or is it really not that simple :dunno:

Hermit Crab
17-05-2013, 10:41 AM
From twitter.

HibernianJK

That's true. It's ultimately up to Leigh where he goes though. Madrid could offer 10 million and us 10 thousand but if he want to play for us he could.

calumhibee1
This was always going to be the case. If it had been us in Wolves shoes and Petrie didn't offer a contract then questions would have to be asked as to why he had just let a 30 goal striker leave for nothing.

Captain Trips
17-05-2013, 10:43 AM
It was a coup after all. :agree: I never expected anything else keeping Leigh will always have been about a purchase at some level with Wolves. There is no chance of him being allowed out on loan again after this season if so then Wolves really do not know what they are doing.

I think Leigh himself thinks he can play in better league than were Wolves are unless their new manager is somebody Leigh likes and convinces him to stay but I believe Wolves will try and sell so Hibs are up against not Wolves but other clubs interested.

Elephant Stone
17-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Who?

Is it always about the money? Leigh is a hibs fan, no team in the Premiership will be looking at him seriously so that leaves us with clubs in the championship, not exactly a thrilling place to ply your trade. Neither is the SPL but at least he is a hibs fan.

Pretty much any Championship team for a start.

It's obviously about money, if Wolves have extended his contract then he'll need to be bought. They're hardly going to extend his contract just to loan him out again. Hopefully we can offer a good enough deal to Wolves but I expect there to be other clubs who can offer them a better deal.

pontius pilate
17-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Still think we will get to see Leigh at ER next season

Stevie Reid
I think we'll get him.

Elephant Stone
That's true. It's ultimately up to Leigh where he goes though. Madrid could offer 10 million and us 10 thousand but if he want to play for us he could.

It's not up to Leigh if he's under contract at Wolves now. He can tell Wolves he wants to play for Hibs as much as he likes but if Wolves decide where they sell him to they're going to sell the the club with the best offer.

Since90+2
17-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Cue possibly another loan?

Why would they let him go out on loan?

They are extending the contract so they can get money in for him or hold on to him and play him in League One to get automatic promotion back to the Championship (the former is more likely but I woudnt say its impossible he will stay at Wolves).

No chance they will loan him out again , would make no sense at all.

hibee92
From twitter.

That account spouts the most **** in history. Not saying Leigh hasn't said that but that account is as reliable as football rumours

Spike Mandela
Good timing.

Patrick McPartlin ‏@p_mcpartlin (https://twitter.com/p_mcpartlin) 7m (https://twitter.com/p_mcpartlin/status/335342484563562496) #Wolves (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Wolves&src=hash) confirm they will keep Leigh Griffiths for another year, after his second loan spell ends at #Hibs (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Hibs&src=hash).

Translated means they want a fee. No surprise really. Over to you Rod.

hibee92
Latest on twitter.

talks p1sh.

JimBHibees
17-05-2013, 10:47 AM
No change. He was always contracted to them for next year.

Exactly was always the case.

green glory
17-05-2013, 10:47 AM
People need to get buying ST's. If we sold enough I'm sure we could afford to put in an offer.

Spike Mandela
17-05-2013, 10:48 AM
With all the awards this year it is likely that there will be many offers for Leigh to consider. Ours is unlikely to be the most attractive financially.

Aldo
17-05-2013, 10:49 AM
It's not up to Leigh if he's under contract at Wolves now. He can tell Wolves he wants to play for Hibs as much as he likes but if Wolves decide where they sell him to they're going to sell the the club with the best offer.

You forget one thing... Regardless of who bids what it's about the signature on the contract and without that Wolves are goosed. They cannot force him to sign for a team he doesn't want to sign for.

pontius pilate
17-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Sparky could always do a Peter odemwengie

Hibercelona
17-05-2013, 10:50 AM

A player can't be forced on to another club, without the permission of the player and his agent.

Leigh can either tell them to accept Hibs offer, or he'll just "stick around" at wolves until his contract expires.

Pretty Boy
17-05-2013, 10:50 AM

Leigh doesn't have to agree to personal terms with anyone he doesn't want to though.

andrew70
17-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Leigh wants to play for Hibs. This is just Wolves taking up their year option so they can get money from Hibs. I don't think the club would have allowed him to say what he did at the Sponsors evening if they didn't think there was a chance of signing him.

I think we'll see Leigh back at Easter Road next season.

Purehibee_MYB
17-05-2013, 10:51 AM
A player can't be forced on to another club, without the permission of the player and his agent.

Leigh can either tell them to accept Hibs offer, or he'll just "stick around" at wolves until his contract expires.

But would he be willing to risk his development as a footballer to sit on their bench for a year because of rejecting other clubs and telling them he doesn't want to be there?

Oscar T Grouch
17-05-2013, 10:52 AM
The power is with the player nowadays, no one can force Leigh to play for Wolves. If he doesnae want to stay down there then he doesnae have to, regardless of what his contact says.

Pat 0-7
17-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Herts biggest coo:

http://img.skysports.com/08/01/218x298/Christian_Nade_Hearts_new_628266.jpg

Hibs90
17-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Effectively Wolves saying they want a fee for him.

Or maybe they are finally going to give him a chance.

Hibercelona
17-05-2013, 10:55 AM
But would he be willing to risk his development as a footballer to sit on their bench for a year because of rejecting other clubs and telling them he doesn't want to be there?

Would Wolves take no money over some money?

HUTCHYHIBBY
Heard from Kano at the w-end that his last game would be the final. Cannae say its a big surprise.

Juice-Terry
http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/hibernian/225744-wolves-confirm-they-have-extended-leigh-griffiths-contract-at-molineux/

Kevin Thelwell, head of football development and recruitment at Wolves, said the team was determined to rebuild for League One.
Thelwell said: “Whilst we continue our search for a new head coach, one-year options on several players have been activated.
This is normal practice in this situation.

"However, with regard to the overall first team picture it is anticipated that there will be significant changes to the existing squad this summer.”

Maybe no need to panic just yet?

Purehibee_MYB
17-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Would Wolves take no money over some money?

You're right there, but it would still be a risk on Leigh's part IMO. If he's willing to risk it then by all means! He knows this is his home!

hibsbollah
17-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Heard from Kano at the w-end that his last game would be the final. Cannae say its a big surprise.

With respect, Kano's hardly a solid source.

My_Wife_Camille
17-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Nothing new here. Leigh said last week at a room full of sponsors that he was going to Wolves on the Thursday to see if the had accepted Hibernians offer. The only reason we would have made an offer to Wolves is if he was still under contract there, which he obviously was.

This is just their website confirming what we already knew and I still think we'll see Leigh back at Hibs next season:flag:

Sir David Gray
17-05-2013, 11:02 AM
He won't be at Wolves next year, absolutely certain about that.

Of course that doesn't mean to say that he'll be with us as Wolves will now be commanding a fee for him and it all depends on what clubs will be in for him.

Stevie Reid
17-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Normally I would think 'no chance', but our biggest advantage is that we are bidding against other teams in terms of a fee, but not, it would seem, in terms of wages. I appreciate that Leigh's head may be turned by big wages when they are actually offered, but he seems determined to stay and knows how much we will pay. An acceptable bid to Wolves and he could be ours.

Didn't realise that Marian Kello had at Wolves, incidentally.

.Sean.
17-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Wouldn't rule that out.

He'll be digging his heels in big time as he's absolutely desperate to sign for Hibs.

Captain Trips
17-05-2013, 11:09 AM
I think it will pan out that Leigh will get a chance to sign for a Crystal Palace, Boro or Blackburn type club on maybe just about 5 figure p/w wages. I think he will feel has had a real go at Hibs for 2 seasons being top scorer and playing in 2 finals hopefully winning one. I think he will be back one day but he has really done Hibs and himself a massive turn this season and I think he will take full advantage of what that offers financially at least for this contract anyway.

Makaveli
17-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Wouldn't rule that out.

He'll be digging his heels in big time as he's absolutely desperate to sign for Hibs.

:agree:

I think people underestimate how important that is.

Sure, other clubs could pay him more. But none of them are Hibs!

Keith_M
17-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Can I just point out that if, as expected, this is just Wolves ensuring they receive a fee for Leigh and he decides his future lies away from Hibs (bigger club, bigger wages) I would hold no grudge with him whatsoever.

The laddie is entitled to do what's best for him and, if he decides that to be a Championship side, then good luck to the lad.

Just make sure you sign off with a hat-trick in the final :wink:

Thecat23
17-05-2013, 11:12 AM
I posted on the private board that i was told Hibs and Wolves had agreed a fee. This news isn't new to Hibs and I fully expect Leigh to be a Hibs player and contracted to Hibs for 2 years. Time will tell if its true.

Leithenhibby
17-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Think we all knew this was going to happen. They are after a fee for him... Regardless of what they want... And yes I know they hold his contract but the more time goes on the less they will get for him. Pretty confident a deal will be sorted and we will see him at ER next season.

:agree:

Fingers crossed......................

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-05-2013, 11:17 AM
I am sure that a fee and a sell on can be agreed? Wolves in the old division three will want everyone pulling together, so where is the value in paying EPL wages to a player who may very well refuse to play?

Aldo
17-05-2013, 11:18 AM
I am sure that a fee and a sell on can be agreed? Wolves in the old division three will want everyone pulling together, so where is the value in paying EPL wages to a player who may very well refuse to play?

Thumb will not be at Wolves next season. They want to recoup what they paid and are looking for bidders. Regardless of who bids it's up to Leigh who he signs for ENDOF

green glory
17-05-2013, 11:19 AM
I posted on the private board that i was told Hibs and Wolves had agreed a fee. This news isn't new to Hibs and I fully expect Leigh to be a Hibs player and contracted to Hibs for 2 years. Time will tell if its true.

Sauce?

Holmesdale Hibs
17-05-2013, 11:20 AM
I think it will pan out that Leigh will get a chance to sign for a Crystal Palace, Boro or Blackburn type club on maybe just about 5 figure p/w wages. I think he will feel has had a real go at Hibs for 2 seasons being top scorer and playing in 2 finals hopefully winning one. I think he will be back one day but he has really done Hibs and himself a massive turn this season and I think he will take full advantage of what that offers financially at least for this contract anyway.

Sadly I agree with this. And if he does get a big move then he deserves it.

Obviously I'd prefer him to stay at Hibs. He seems to be genuinely happy at ER and has clearly progresses while with us so hopefully that can work in our favour.

Thecat23
17-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Sauce?

An agent from down south.

Matt92
17-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Funding:

Does anyone know how much money we will approximately have gained from the Scottish Cup Run (if we win or finish runners up?) + if we finish 7th+ getting into Europe?

Surely we will have more money than last summer, where we were able to spend a ****load to get McPake tied down plus all the signings we made. We will furthermore be offloading duds like Kujabi and Kuqi? Maybe we do not need to spend so much on new players and Griffiths can be a focus? Surely all of these factors can help us sustainably stump up the £300k (IF thats enough of course) to make us a competitive bidder in the market for the wee man?

Everything crossed he has won us so much on his own. He loves it here too and loves us so everything is there bar this transfer fee!

Franck Stanton
17-05-2013, 11:36 AM

Not exactly correct, yes Wolves hold his contract and can/have exercised their right to keep him for the final year, only to be expected given his form. However..........even if wolves accept a bid from another Championship/even lower half EPL [unlikely but hey ho], Leigh has to agree to the move, if he was to refuse to go to that club, then there is nothing wolves could do about it apart from consign him to the reserves for the full season and when jan comes around Leigh could speak to and sign pre-contract with whoever he wants and wolves get he-haw for him. Personally I think Wolves just want some sort of financial recompense for a player who has hardly kicked a ball for them. IF we miss out on him, then there is no one to blame other than our board as they could have signed him this time last year for £150,000 but being the penny-pinching mob we have in control looks like we a] will have to shell out around double that [aye, like that's going to happen] or b] we miss out on him entirely.

scoopyboy
17-05-2013, 11:46 AM

100% wrong.

Leigh doesn't have to sign for any club he doesn't want to.

Wolves wouldn't have to sell him to Hibs and they could put him out the game for a year, at the end of the day they won't do that.

SunshineOnLeith
17-05-2013, 11:49 AM
[/B] IF we miss out on him, then there is no one to blame other than our board as they could have signed him this time last year for £150,000

Classic Hibs.net FACT.

Hibs7
17-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Give Wolves the price they paid for him ...£150,000

Deal done !! Rod get it sorted ! Please

LeighLoyal
17-05-2013, 11:59 AM
They were always going to do this so hardly any surprise. It's up to Leigh where he plays next year and if it's Hibs then Petrie has to pay WFC off.

jacomo
17-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Give Wolves the price they paid for him ...£150,000

Deal done !! Rod get it sorted ! Please

Hate to break it to you, but that's not *quite* the way it works.

I learned this lesson the hard way... Tried to buy a house from an older couple who'd lived there for years, and was outraged when they demanded far more than the £20k they paid for it. :wink:

Elephant Stone
17-05-2013, 12:06 PM
100% wrong.

Leigh doesn't have to sign for any club he doesn't want to.

Wolves wouldn't have to sell him to Hibs and they could put him out the game for a year, at the end of the day they won't do that.

There will be other clubs who can afford to pay much, much more than we can in a transfer fee. Therefore other clubs will be able to try to agree personal terms with Leigh. If Wolves say to him "sign at these other clubs who can afford our asking price or stay here for the season" what do you think he's going to do, bearing in mind that these clubs will also be offering a no doubt very attractive wage? You think he's going to say "Hibs or nothing" and risk spending a season in League 1?

ozwoody
17-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Can't see why anyone's surprised.if he had scored six goals we would have let him go back to wolves,we are not exactly demanding Doyle stays who has scored eleven this season,the same as Leigh last year.if you were wolves,seeing some of Leigh's strikes this season,would you say it's ok to let him out on loan for another season,or would you be looking to maximize your investment? Considering they are a basket case in the striking dept of course I would be thinking of taking up option......but as a hibs fan,I hope they don't

SaulGoodman
17-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Nothing's changed really, it's up to Hibs if we bid for him. Wolves were always going to take up the option, I'm sure Hibs already knew that.

I'll stick by my optimism that Leigh will be a Hibs player next season :wink:

scoopyboy
17-05-2013, 12:13 PM
There will be other clubs who can afford to pay much, much more than we can in a transfer fee. Therefore other clubs will be able to try to agree personal terms with Leigh. If Wolves say to him "sign at these other clubs who can afford our asking price or stay here for the season" what do you think he's going to do, bearing in mind that these clubs will also be offering a no doubt very attractive wage? You think he's going to say "Hibs or nothing" and risk spending a season in League 1?

Time will tell mate.

I have known for weeks that Petrie has been negotiating with Wolves regarding Leigh, so Wolves taking up the option was always going to happen. They were never going to let him go for nothing, and frankly they would have been mad simply to release him. They know he doesn't want to play for Wolves.

My info has come from three different sources (one of which has already posted on this thread, the other two I won't reveal) and today's news doesn't make one blind bit of difference to what will happen.

Skanko79
17-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Sauce?

football rumours no doubt. thats the source of half the guff you read on here.

Shrekko
17-05-2013, 12:15 PM

If they'd agreed a fee I don't see why Wolves would then go so public regarding the contract extension.

Don't get me wrong I still think we might get him but Wolves are clearly trying to drive the price up. It is true however that he doesnt have to go to 'the highest bidder'- I think Hearts found that out when they tried to sign him from Livi.

Benny Brazil
17-05-2013, 12:20 PM

Thecat doesnt post guff or pick up rumours from that website you mention

Skanko79
17-05-2013, 12:20 PM
and all this chat of a 150k offer being accepted, dont be so silly. if he was under contract at hibs, had the season he has just had and we were offered 150k for him would we accept that?

he's under contract at wolves, he will go back there after the final. if we want him we are going to have to pay a minimum of 500k.

Phil MaGlass
17-05-2013, 12:21 PM

It basically IS up to Leigh, Wolves can sell him to any club they want, Leigh still has to sign the contract. I think Wolves just want a bit of cash for him from us, which IMO are entitled to. We should be pulling out all the stops to get him and dare I say it break the bank on this, I think leigh will only get better, imagne his stock when he gets his first Scotland cap and scores, money back guaranteed after selling on.

Thecat23
17-05-2013, 12:22 PM
If they'd agreed a fee I don't see why Wolves would then go so public regarding the contract extension.

Don't get me wrong I still think we might get him but Wolves are clearly trying to drive the price up. It is true however that he doesnt have to go to 'the highest bidder'- I think Hearts found that out when they tried to sign him from Livi.

I'm not to sure mate, if that's the case and Hibs had agreed a fee Wolves will stick to it!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
17-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Nothing we can do now, hes their player. Best of luck to him. Bring home the cup Sparky!

The Sea-gull
17-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Not really dissappointed by this news to be honest as it has only confirmed the inevitable so find it hard to be dissappointed by the expected.

No brainer really, Wolves were not going to let a player go for free if they could make money from him or see him doing a job for them so the option was always going to be taken. It's not like he'll be earning a particularly big wage there so not too much of a financial burden for them despite their relegation. Now one of three things will happen.

1. LG goes back to Wolves and starts next season playing in League 1. Don't see this happening as get the impression LG does not want to be there and they'll not keep an unhappy player.

2. LG is sold in to the highest bidder. Expect Hibs to bid and be out bid both in terms of a transfer fee and wage package. If LG wants to come to Hibs he can force it by refusing to sign for anyone else but if he is getting offered good money elsewhere then you canot balme him for taking it.

3. LG is loaned out again. This could be profitable for Wolves if he is loaned to a Championship team but it would be January before they could sell him and how much would they get for a player with half a season left on his deal. They could loan him back up here but the same thing would apply again in January.

Can't see him being loaned out again, not to us or any other Scottish side anyway. If we want him, we'll have to buy him in the summer and if he really, really, really wants to sign for us and overlook better offers then it can happen.

offshorehibby
17-05-2013, 12:27 PM
I don't see what the big panic is all of a sudden. It was reported ages ago that wolves will be taking the 1 year extension. It's been known for ages that Leigh's last game for the moment will be the cup final.

Leigh will be at wolves preseason unless a deal can be struck prior to that.
Leigh's preferred option is to play for Hibs next season.
wolves can't just sell him to the highest bidder, Leigh would have to agree.
The new manager might not take to him.

There are loads of possibilities between now and the end of the next window. I believe Leigh will be at Hibs next season on a 2 or 3 year deal.

Aldo
17-05-2013, 12:33 PM

Nope a true Source?? And btw not some guff you read on FR. Read back a few pages. The guy revealed his source

Aldo
17-05-2013, 12:34 PM
and all this chat of a 150k offer being accepted, dont be so silly. if he was under contract at hibs, had the season he has just had and we were offered 150k for him would we accept that?

he's under contract at wolves, he will go back there after the final. if we want him we are going to have to pay a minimum of 500k.

Where you getting this 500k from. Will be nowhere bear that. Nominal few plus a sell in clause I would think!

EdinMike
17-05-2013, 12:34 PM
http://m.stv.tv/sport/football/clubs/hibernian/225744-wolves-confirm-they-have-extended-leigh-griffiths-contract-at-molineux/

Looks like it's over folks...

Skanko79
17-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Nope a true Source?? And btw not some guff you read on FR. Read back a few pages. The guy revealed his source

how are you so certain he's not making it up? i think he's talking mince if im being honest with you.

Skanko79
17-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Where you getting this 500k from. Will be nowhere bear that. Nominal few plus a sell in clause I would think!

use your heed for a minute. think of it from wolves perspective.

as i said earlier, if he was under contract at hibs how much would you want for him after the season he has had?

would you accept a 500k bid for him if you were rod petrie? naw.

i cant see them accepting any less than that, sorry to burst your bubble.

Up The Bracket
17-05-2013, 12:38 PM
He'll still be at Hibs next year :agree:

Part/Time Supporter
17-05-2013, 12:40 PM
http://m.stv.tv/sport/football/clubs/hibernian/225744-wolves-confirm-they-have-extended-leigh-griffiths-contract-at-molineux/

Wolves director of football:

Whilst we continue our search for a new head coach, one-year options on several players have been activated. This is normal practice in this situation. However, with regard to the overall first team picture it is anticipated that there will be significant changes to the existing squad this summer.

That's basically code for saying to the Wolves fans that "just because we've extended these contracts, don't assume that these guys will be playing for us next season".

sidneyhibbie
17-05-2013, 12:43 PM
I Am confident that he will be playing for us next season he said he did not want to go back.

YehButNoBut
17-05-2013, 12:52 PM

It's certainly not over and I am sure Hibs would have known about this, so does not make much difference to the current situation.

Would be very surprised if Sparky was not a Hibs player next season.

Noted from that article that Berra has been freed, would take him at Hibs. :agree:

SaulGoodman
17-05-2013, 12:53 PM

In other news did anyone hear about UBiG going bust?

down-the-slope
17-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Lots of weird views on this thread...:rolleyes:

He is a Wolves player - they took the risk and signed him on, and have continued to be committed to paying his relatively decent wages (minus our loan share) Why should they not seek to get that back at least. Rod would absolutely do the same if situation reversed.

I don't see this being resolved until late in the window.

Rod won't pay a penny more (of our money) than he has too

Wolves will hold out for best offer / try to sell to highest bidder

Leigh appears to want to come back to ER and may hold out to not agreeing terms with highest bidder

This will be a game of poker.....the tache just loves the game. It will come down to who blinks first and if Leigh holds out for Hibs or gets tempted by other offers (reality is other wage offers will be better than we could match)

Heisenberg
17-05-2013, 12:57 PM

No chance. The guy is very good with what he posts, wouldnt just make it up or get it from a terrible website like the above.

Skanko79
17-05-2013, 12:58 PM
No chance. The guy is very good with what he posts, wouldnt just make it up or get it from a terrible website like the above.

look mate, if "an agent down south" given to you from someone you probably dont know from adam is a reliable enough source for you then bash on. :thumbsup:

Speedway
17-05-2013, 01:02 PM

Brian Clough knows more about what's going on at Hibs than that boy.

I learned this lesson the hard way... Tried to buy a house from an older couple who'd lived there for years, and was outraged when they demanded far more than the £20k they paid for it. :wink:

:greengrin

Aldo
17-05-2013, 01:08 PM
use your heed for a minute. think of it from wolves perspective.

as i said earlier, if he was under contract at hibs how much would you want for him after the season he has had?

would you accept a 500k bid for him if you were rod petrie? naw.

i cant see them accepting any less than that, sorry to burst your bubble.

1. Not my source but from a very very reliable .net poster, who in the past has been spot in with his info.

2. What wolves want and what wolves get are 2 different things.

3. IMHO - no one else's- 150,000 to 200,000 max (if it is that much) with a sell on clause. It's uncle Rodders remember.

4. Leigh wants to come and play in Edinburghand for Hibs. Wolves will prefer a fee and know the more he plays and does well then there is a potentially for them to make more money (in long term)

You've been a .netter for a while so you should know the guys that are ITK.

I trust their judgement.

5. RP will not pay 500k on a player with a year left on his contract ENDOF. (And if he did I would be very surprised)

Nuff

Speedway
17-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Sparky is rumoured to be interesting Everton.

ekhibee
17-05-2013, 01:31 PM
IMO a lot of it comes down to what Championship clubs, if any, are interested in him. Don't think he's quite ready for the Premiership, and it seems highly unlikely he'd play in Div 1, so to me anyway, it comes down to whether the clubs in the Championship have an interest in him or not. They can, as we all know, pay significantly more than we can, and even though Griffiths is a Hibs fan, and has been very public about it, it would be very hard to turn down a wage significantly higher than anything we could pay him now or in the foreseeable future. The irony is, the more successful Hibs are, the harder it is going to be to keep him. If we were to win the Scottish Cup, and he scores the winning goal, or has a big impact on the game, I find it quite hard to believe they wouldn't at least be making inquiries to Wolves, and if they do, I reckon it would be very difficult to keep him at Hibs. Of course, I hope that I am totally wrong about all this, I would love to see him as a Hibs player next season, I just think it might be beyond our reach just now.

Skanko79
17-05-2013, 01:36 PM
1. Not my source but from a very very reliable .net poster, who in the past has been spot in with his info.

2. What wolves want and what wolves get are 2 different things.

3. IMHO - no one else's- 150,000 to 200,000 max (if it is that much) with a sell on clause. It's uncle Rodders remember.

4. Leigh wants to come and play in Edinburghand for Hibs. Wolves will prefer a fee and know the more he plays and does well then there is a potentially for them to make more money (in long term)

You've been a .netter for a while so you should know the guys that are ITK.

I trust their judgement.

5. RP will not pay 500k on a player with a year left on his contract ENDOF. (And if he did I would be very surprised)

Nuff

ok pal, i genuinley 100% hope your right. i would love no more than you to see him with us next season but im just being realistic.

Onion
17-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Latest on twitter.

Bugger. Agent didn't do his job very well if the club can drop 2 leagues and STILL hold all the cards :rolleyes:

Onion
17-05-2013, 01:47 PM

With no manager ?

KWJ
17-05-2013, 01:48 PM
He could feasibly go somewhere else for one year be it on a fee loan or a one year contract and then return to the Hibees.

It's not the done thing for a player that can play at a higher level and make more money in the game but it's what I'd like to think I'd do as a passionate Hibs fan.

But I'm not the one in the position!

CraigHibee
17-05-2013, 01:50 PM
He'll still be at Hibs next year :agree:

i respect you optimism! :greengrin

hibs need to pull out all stops but we cant expect to get him on the cheap, leigh will undoubtedley go on to greater things! we should see this as an investment as leigh will go to a bigger club for a bigger fee not too far down the line IMO

Onion
17-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Wolves director of football:

That's basically code for saying to the Wolves fans that "just because we've extended these contracts, don't assume that these guys will be playing for us next season".

If LG scores the winner in the Cup Final, suggest we just kidnap him, keep him at ER and let Wolves whistle. Only half joking :greengrin

Captain Trips
17-05-2013, 01:55 PM
I am sure Leigh does want to play for Hibs but so have lots of people but had other factors dictate that they do not play on at Hibs. I see Leigh getting the chance to earn at least 2/3 x what we can afford and like every player around his age I expect the head to rule heart.

He won't be getting 50/60k a week but his ability should easily see him in the same envelope as good earners in the Championship league 8k+ perhaps. He might get injured he might drop form so therefore at his age I fully understand and expect Leigh to go to a club that offers him both the wage and chance to play Hibs I think can offer the play part but I really do not see him going through this summer without getting a really good offer.

Onion
17-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Not really dissappointed by this news to be honest as it has only confirmed the inevitable so find it hard to be dissappointed by the expected.

No brainer really, Wolves were not going to let a player go for free if they could make money from him or see him doing a job for them so the option was always going to be taken. It's not like he'll be earning a particularly big wage there so not too much of a financial burden for them despite their relegation. Now one of three things will happen.

1. LG goes back to Wolves and starts next season playing in League 1. Don't see this happening as get the impression LG does not want to be there and they'll not keep an unhappy player.

2. LG is sold in to the highest bidder. Expect Hibs to bid and be out bid both in terms of a transfer fee and wage package. If LG wants to come to Hibs he can force it by refusing to sign for anyone else but if he is getting offered good money elsewhere then you canot balme him for taking it.

3. LG is loaned out again. This could be profitable for Wolves if he is loaned to a Championship team but it would be January before they could sell him and how much would they get for a player with half a season left on his deal. They could loan him back up here but the same thing would apply again in January.

Can't see him being loaned out again, not to us or any other Scottish side anyway. If we want him, we'll have to buy him in the summer and if he really, really, really wants to sign for us and overlook better offers then it can happen.

It's a bit galling. Wolves have shown little to no interest in Leigh Griffiths in 2 years and it is Hibs who have brought out the best in him. In fact, when Leigh was getting into bother with his tweets and off-field behaviour (which Hibs had to sort out), Wolves basically disowned him. Now that he's doing ok, lo and behold, they're extending his contract :rolleyes:

Captain Trips
17-05-2013, 02:05 PM
He could feasibly go somewhere else for one year be it on a fee loan or a one year contract and then return to the Hibees.

It's not the done thing for a player that can play at a higher level and make more money in the game but it's what I'd like to think I'd do as a passionate Hibs fan.

But I'm not the one in the position!

The thing is he has played for us if he had been on loan at Dundee Utd say and had the same sort of season and we wanted him his heart might come into it stronger however he has played for us and been successful at it therefore he has lived the dream to a point and he can have a crack at maybe setting himself up for life with next contract.

The problem is the level we and most of our rivals are at in terms of money means a Killie player on 1k p/w is offered 1.5 from us and 1.25 from say Aberdeen only a snall difference but at that wage it means a lot we have clubs down south able to offer that player maybe 3k and that is just so much of a difference that they will grab it. If club scouts are doing their jobs correctly then LG should be on a few lists and I expect him to be well into the high 4 figure p/w wage area.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-05-2013, 02:12 PM
With respect, Kano's hardly a solid source.

Who is then in that case? He said he spoke to Leigh about it the previous week, doubt anybody else on here will know with anymore certainty than anyone else what is going to happen.:confused:

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2013, 02:25 PM

Cant see them going for someone like him, although you never know, ex player and all that? :wink:

Hibs7
17-05-2013, 02:38 PM
If he stays at Hibs for another two years on a 4 year contract, with an option of going to a premier league club down south if someone wants him, if he has another two seasons like this IT WILL happen.
Then he will get his big money and a decent lump for a transfer... No brainier Leigh ;-)

Aldo
17-05-2013, 02:39 PM
ok pal, i genuinley 100% hope your right. i would love no more than you to see him with us next season but im just being realistic.

Nothing is every 100% and that's not a cop out. I trust the person who posted the info that's all. If its wrong then more fool me.

Skanko79
17-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Nothing is every 100% and that's not a cop out. I trust the person who posted the info that's all. If its wrong then more fool me.

see the minute you see him sitting in the west stand with the tache beside him grinning like a cheshire cat after signing a 3 year deal. thats when i'll believe it.

no matter who posts what on here regardless of who they claim to know or what they know i wont be taking that as gospel, but you crack on if you want.

and as i said earlier, for him to be signing for us, a striker who has just won his 3rd award, 28 goals in scotlands top division i can assure you, 1 year on his deal or not its going to take a hell of alot more than 150k for him to come to easter road.

Jpdhfc
17-05-2013, 03:40 PM
After scoring nearly 30 goals in the SPL and winning Player of the Year Wolves will quite rightly looking for around 300k for him. Unfortunately I see that as the major stumbling block to him signing rather than the wages.

Heard a whisper from a good source that wolves want a million for leigh he's gutted apparently as am I if true

HIBERNIAN-0762
17-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Heard a whisper from a good source that wolves want a million for lee he's gutted apparently as am I if true

What utter nonsense :rolleyes:

Aldo
17-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Heard a whisper from a good source that wolves want a million for lee he's gutted apparently as am I if true

They won't get a million pound for a player not proven at championship level. Bid his time. Sit on the bench for 6 months and sign a ore contract agreement with the hibs... Signing on in Jan for a nominal fee (if only things were that easy)

Stringer
17-05-2013, 04:18 PM
The inevitable happened. Lets look at the positive our team next year.

Handling. Taiwo/ Craig .Harris

.Caldwell.

Jim44
17-05-2013, 05:10 PM
If Wolves can't persuade or force Griffiths to see out one year with them in Div1 and the player himself is hellbent on staying at ER, I wish for once that Petrie would go the extra mile to get a player who, barring a career threatening injury, Is certain to greatly enhance our fortunes in the next couple of seasons and will provide a healthy return on the investment when he moves on. A no-brainer in my book but we all know it can never happen.

Heisenberg
17-05-2013, 05:15 PM
I've no doubt that we'll be trying to get him. Rod will be attempting every sort of deal possible and I'm sure he wants to play for Hibs. I really hope we get him, would make himself a legend and also make us some decent money in the future.

weecounty hibby
17-05-2013, 05:26 PM
If LG signs he will have restored my faith in footballers to a certain degree. It will be real Roy of the Rovers stuff if he scores in the cup final and signs a contract for the team he loves. There will be other clubs who can pay much much higher salaries than we can but I just get the feeling that he thinks he is young enough to get that crack at the whip in another couple of years after he cements himself into Hibby folklore

hibeemikey21
17-05-2013, 05:29 PM
They won't get a million pound for a player not proven at championship level. Bid his time. Sit on the bench for 6 months and sign a ore contract agreement with the hibs... Signing on in Jan for a nominal fee (if only things were that easy)

Rhodes went for £8 mil last summer.....

NAE NOOKIE
17-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Cant blame Wolves for taking up their option. They made a huge mistake not taking Griffiths back at the start of this season and even a club who appear to have made a dock of things for 12 months cant be that stupid twice. Even if it is to sell him on they have to be looking for half a million .. you cant blame them for that given the position they find themselves in now.

Folk on here ( though I sympathise ) thinking that Rod Petrie / Hibs is going to come up with £500,000 to buy LG with a possible view to getting more than that later on are kidding themselves. We were in the same position a year ago when allegedly we could have got him for £150,000 and didnt have the vision to see we would be getting an asset worth having. If we wont take a £150,000 risk we aint going to take a £500,000 risk.

If there is one thing Leigh Griffiths has proved this season, its that he can make and score chances on his own and strikers like that sure aint 10 a penny.

I'm gutted to see LG go and like everybody else on here can only hope that he has the game of his life on the 26th of May. It would be a fitting way for a player who has given everything he could during his time at ER and who obviously loves the club to end his time here.

We have to look to the future and hope that Pat Fenlon has the savvy and backing from the club to sign the best strikers we can to replace what appears to be the irreplaceable.

Pretty Boy
17-05-2013, 05:58 PM
If Leigh is to go it isn't as if we haven't been here before.

We have lost the 'irreplaceable' before with the likes of Riordan, Stokes, Fletcher etc and every time we seem to find a gem l.

I haven't totally given up hope of Leigh staying but if it's not to be then we have to hope one of the young lads steps up or we find another like hom.

Heisenberg
17-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Did we not take a 500k (or thereabouts) risk with Stokes?

GreenOnions
17-05-2013, 06:58 PM

:-D Brilliant! Thought I was back reading Viz there for a moment....

Captain Trips
17-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Did we not take a 500k (or thereabouts) risk with Stokes?

The "Risk" was taken with Stokes having not been doing so well and once Stokes proved himself we lost him, the "risk" has already been taken with Leigh by us so we are now in the position we were in after Stokes good season. We were not signing Stokes after scoring 20+ goals in his previous season we would be with Leigh so as of today the situations are very different from the day we bought Stokes.

I think if Stokes was £1m then Leigh simply cannot be that far away from that value IMO he is better and worth every bit of what Stokes value was after his good season.

WeeCraigy
17-05-2013, 08:01 PM

Lucky they aren't charging that for Leigh ; )

mjhibby
17-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Cant blame Wolves for taking up their option. They made a huge mistake not taking Griffiths back at the start of this season and even a club who appear to have made a dock of things for 12 months cant be that stupid twice. Even if it is to sell him on they have to be looking for half a million .. you cant blame them for that given the position they find themselves in now.

Folk on here ( though I sympathise ) thinking that Rod Petrie / Hibs is going to come up with £500,000 to buy LG with a possible view to getting more than that later on are kidding themselves. We were in the same position a year ago when allegedly we could have got him for £150,000 and didnt have the vision to see we would be getting an asset worth having. If we wont take a £150,000 risk we aint going to take a £500,000 risk.

If there is one thing Leigh Griffiths has proved this season, its that he can make and score chances on his own and strikers like that sure aint 10 a penny.

I'm gutted to see LG go and like everybody else on here can only hope that he has the game of his life on the 26th of May. It would be a fitting way for a player who has given everything he could during his time at ER and who obviously loves the club to end his time here.

We have to look to the future and hope that Pat Fenlon has the savvy and backing from the club to sign the best strikers we can to replace what appears to be the irreplaceable.

There is no way wolves will get £500,000 for a player with one year to go on his contract.I suspect it is a bargaining tool to get some sort of transfer fee but should leigh just sit tight and then sign a precontact with us on jan 1 then there is nothing wolves can do.i suspect this story has a long way to go just yet but if leigh wants to be at hibs in 13 months then he will be.I wouldnt begrudge him getting a move to a bigger club than wolves and just hope his career keeps progressing.If leigh does go it leaves only caldwell as a recognised striker at er so pat has 2 to 3 strikers to bring in.should be a very interesting summer me thinks.The fact that he didnt offer doyle a new contract suggests he has targets in mind and hopefully nearly signed.

leither17
17-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Rhodes went for £8 mil last summer.....

He was on a long term deal at Huddersfield though not a year contract where he can sign a pre contract in jan

California-Hibs
17-05-2013, 08:34 PM
I think alot will have to do if we win the cup or not. It will be the ultimate high if we do and I can defently see Griffiths signing on due to the sheer ecstatic emotion that will surround the club for a LONG LONG time! If we lose however, it could leave a very hollow feeling within Griffiths that might just see him decided to move on. Time will tell.

Devilstorment
17-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Can anyone tell me why we didnt get him on a pre-contract. My understanding was that 6months prior to contract expiry players can negotiate with other teams?

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Here's my take on it(for what it's worth)...It's never really been mentioned much on here but Leigh was genuinely pretty gutted when Wolves let him come back up the rd last summer. He was confident of cracking the Championship so was a blow to be sent away without being given a chance. Obviously circumstances have changed since, larger family, season of his life, genuine love from the fans, Wolves relegated etc so he's desperate to stay. Petrie has been working on this for weeks and weeks. The £150,000 option to buy is a bit of a myth on here as well. He slipped through the net as a kid and I also remember saying at the time that we should have taken a gamble when Dundee signed him from Livi. Would he still be here now tho if we'd signed him all those yrs ago? Who knows. Lets just cross our fingers he's here next season :pray:

trev the hat
17-05-2013, 10:34 PM
2 good seasons here, we've been lucky. Hope we can do something in close season but unlikely. I can see him handing in a transfer request as soon as he returns to Molineux promptly followed by a championship club buying out his contract.
Lets sit back & enjoy his next 2 for us knowing his last can make him immortal never mind the fact he could be a 30 goal Hibee before the CF.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-05-2013, 08:33 AM
I see Wolves have released Steven Hunt and Ebanks-Blake, thats not going to help much!

leithsansiro
18-05-2013, 09:18 AM
From Griffiths himself just now on facebook

Well, it's the last game of the spl season today and I couldn't have imagined it to go any better...from the 1st game to the last Iv missed 2 games, 1 through injury and 1 through rest. It's been amazing to witness the highs and some lows, unbeaten against hearts...wotherspoons and deega's strikes in the cup , Ben's save to keep us the in the same tournament, hatrick at killie and of course the 2nd half and extra time at hampden. Then last week at Tynie...nothing will beat that strike at the school end to send 3500 hibees into madness! I hope every single hibee is out in force today...making easter road a fortress...it may be my last game there...but I'm seriously hoping IT ISN'T!! Love you all x

Part/Time Supporter
18-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Can anyone tell me why we didnt get him on a pre-contract. My understanding was that 6months prior to contract expiry players can negotiate with other teams?

Because he was always under Wolves' control. Griffiths had already agreed a contract with them for 2013/14. It was up to them whether that contract would be enforced.

Devilstorment
18-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Because he was always under Wolves' control. Griffiths had already agreed a contract with them for 2013/14. It was up to them whether that contract would be enforced.

that seems crazy to me for a player to put themselves in that position. if things hadnt worked out he could effectively be emptied at the end of the season without having the opportunity to sort his future out over the previous 6 months.

Surely it would have made sense to put a clause of "Wolves must decide 6 months prior to contract expiry if further 1 year option to be exercised"

maybe i am over simplifying it!

Devilstorment
18-05-2013, 09:29 AM

Well, it's the last game of the spl season today and I couldn't have imagined it to go any better...from the 1st game to the last Iv missed 2 games, 1 through injury and 1 through rest. It's been amazing to witness the highs and some lows, unbeaten against hearts...wotherspoons and deega's strikes in the cup , Ben's save to keep us the in the same tournament, hatrick at killie and of course the 2nd half and extra time at hampden. Then last week at Tynie...nothing will beat that strike at the school end to send 3500 hibees into madness! I hope every single hibee is out in force today...making easter road a fortress...it may be my last game there...but I'm seriously hoping IT ISN'T!! Love you all x

I dont think i have ever loved a cabbage player so much!!

Part/Time Supporter
18-05-2013, 09:42 AM
that seems crazy to me for a player to put themselves in that position. if things hadnt worked out he could effectively be emptied at the end of the season without having the opportunity to sort his future out over the previous 6 months.

Surely it would have made sense to put a clause of "Wolves must decide 6 months prior to contract expiry if further 1 year option to be exercised"

maybe i am over simplifying it!

I think you need to bear in mind that when he signed the contract he was moving from a (bankrupt) SFL1 club to a Premier League club. Not much leverage for a player in that situation.

WestEndHibee
18-05-2013, 10:05 AM

:love ya!:

Devilstorment
18-05-2013, 10:06 AM
I think you need to bear in mind that when he signed the contract he was moving from a (bankrupt) SFL1 club to a Premier League club. Not much leverage for a player in that situation.

Yeah your right, i guess if i was signing for a premiership team i would happily give them my first born just for the opportunity