PDA

View Full Version : Cup Final Captain

Johnny Clash
17-05-2013, 10:02 AM
This cup final will need a captain made of steel who ensures Hibs fight like tigers to win. No place for a quiet anonymous performance.

We need to get in Celtic's face from the minute we're in the tunnel. The Hibs crowd will be up for this big style ... I just hope the players have even more passion and fire in their bellies!

Humo
17-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Williams or Claros for me

Hermit Crab
17-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Thomson.

DaveF
17-05-2013, 10:11 AM
How about 11 captains out there? That should do it.

Westie1875
17-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Williams if Mcpake isn't fit

JMac
17-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Thomson, Williams, Hanlon or Sparky
Hell all of them!!!
Not McPake though

Hibercelona
17-05-2013, 10:15 AM
I would say Hanlon.

Hanlon has been at the club from the very start of his career and is becoming a solid non-nonsense professional in the game.

Thomson can be too much of a hot head at times.

neilmartinrocks
17-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Lewis Stevenson if Mcpake isnae fit/playing.

Diclonius
17-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Williams was our captain in the derby so I'd assume he's our vice captain now.

kentao
17-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Has to be Williams. Whenever the team concedes a goal he goes absolutely mental at them. I think he takes it personally and he has a winners mentality.

Hibercelona
17-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Has to be Williams. Whenever the team concedes a goal he goes absolutely mental at them. I think he takes it personally and he has a winners mentality.

Although that's great. We need a captain who'll keep a cool head, even when the chips are down.

Despite the fact that we won the derby, Williams appeared to struggle some what.

I think it would be better to have an outfield captain that can approach players and calm their nerves when things get heated.

Hibernian Verse
17-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Stevenson. If anyone deserves to lift that cup in the current squad it's him. Of course Griffiths scores the goals but Stevenson just IS Hibs in a nutshell.

Onceinawhile
17-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Mcpake. He's club captain ffs.

If he isn't fit then Williams.

TomoHFC
17-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Hanlon wlllams thomson

hibs4thecup1988
17-05-2013, 11:57 AM

I am guessing the OP meant if McPake is not fit. If he doesn't play tomorrow then he doesn't play in the final for me. No risks this time round!!

Stevenson for me. Has the mentality for a cup final.

CorrieHibs
17-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Thomson.

I agree with Thomson. Surprised he hasn't been made captain.

pontius pilate
17-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Lewis or thommo either or I agree if mcpake isn't back dor tomorrow he shouldn't play in the final maybe give him a place in the bench

kentao
17-05-2013, 12:20 PM
I wouldnt have Thomson because he cant keep his trap shut and gets needless bookings for moaning at the ref. Falkirk and the 2-1 derby spring to mind. Great player but he needs to remember he doesnt play for the rangers now.

Brightside
17-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Has to be Thomson - he runs the team on the field. McPake never utters a word and as much as I like Hanlon he isnt loud enough, and goalies are pointless as Captains.

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Hanlon for me, as much as i have been impressed with Thomson since his return, i don't believe he should have the honour of being our captain ever again.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
17-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Williams/mcpake or thommo

Brightside
17-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Hanlon for me, as much as i have been impressed with Thomson since his return, i don't believe he should have the honour of being our captain ever again.

I get that for all the obvious heart felt reasons. But i think we need to draw a line under that - he does have the team behind him, and the coach.

DH1875
17-05-2013, 01:01 PM
This cup final will need a captain made of steel who ensures Hibs fight like tigers to win. No place for a quiet anonymous performance.

We need to get in Celtic's face from the minute we're in the tunnel. The Hibs crowd will be up for this big style ... I just hope the players have even more passion and fire in their bellies!

Have I missed something? Is McPake out or something :confused:

Johnny Clash
17-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Have I missed something? Is McPake out or something :confused:

I don't think we'll know the answer to that until tomorrow... but regardless of who is our captain is on the day they will need to realise it's not just about having a good game themselves... they need to dominate the game and inspire the entire team.

A previous poster got it right when talking about having eleven captains on the pitch! I want to see Claros out stare Broonie in the tunnel and freak him right out!!!

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2013, 01:34 PM
I get that for all the obvious heart felt reasons. But i think we need to draw a line under that - he does have the team behind him, and the coach.

I dont think so, you only get one chance to captain Hibs imo, and to take the piss like he did before he left makes him ineligible ever again to be our captain.

I'd be absolutely raging if he got anywhere near the job, i'm happy he's back. He's proved so far he can still play, but thats one step too far for me.

woodythehibee
17-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Williams was our captain in the derby so I'd assume he's our vice captain now.

Can you make your signature pic bigger so I can steal it? :greengrin

Treadstone
17-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Can you make your signature pic bigger so I can steal it? :greengrin

Plenty here mate take your pick!

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?263958-Derby-Day-12-5-13-photos-amp-videos-(merged)

The Sea-gull
17-05-2013, 01:53 PM
McPake is a good captain but if he's not playing then Williams or Thomson for me. On the pitch it has got to be a vocal, experienced player. Don't think that is Hanlon just yet.

Stevenson or Hanlon deserve to lift the cup more than anyone else and though there are others ahead of them on-field in terms of being captain, it would be a nice touch if we win if they got to lift it.

clerriehibs
17-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Thomson; even if james mcp is fit, he's had troible motivating himself recently. Lift the captaincy off him, and it might be a weight off his shoulders.

Hermit Crab
17-05-2013, 02:06 PM

Considering the goal he lost at tynecastle was his fault he can't really go nuts at them all the time.

Elephant Stone
17-05-2013, 02:07 PM
If not McPake, Williams.

Thomson has been back for about 5 minutes and has done virtually nothing in helping us get to the final. Giving him the captaincy would be a kick in the dick to the other players who've actually got us there. Not the kind of message I'd be giving to the players in a million years.

DH1875
17-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Thomson; even if james mcp is fit, he's had troible motivating himself recently. Lift the captaincy off him, and it might be a weight off his shoulders.

If McPake can't motivate himself after last years disaster then he should never be allowed on a football pitch again IMO.

clerriehibs
17-05-2013, 02:19 PM
If McPake can't motivate himself after last years disaster then he should never be allowed on a football pitch again IMO.

absolutely; so let him focus on his own game, and someone else take on the captaincy

AngelsHighAbove
17-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Lewis 100%. No other player would have stuck by Hibs after being dropped in and out of the team for years despite improving every season, especially the way we've been the past few years.

HibeeMG
17-05-2013, 03:12 PM
When Thomson was moaning at the ref in the semi-final after already being shown a yellow card I was looking to McPake to step in and get him sorted. He didn't.

I don't put our 2nd half come-back down to a stirring captain's performance either. He seemed resigned to our defeat but the front guys pulled it out of the fire.

I was a huge McPake fan last season but it seems he's lost his passion for the job this term. Whether that's to do with his injury and fitness, I don't know.

edinburghhibee
17-05-2013, 04:02 PM
If mcpake makes the final 100% fitness is a must if not he can't play. If fit he will raise his game regardless of how he had played he always steps up in big games.

This stage last season from January till last game he was our best player by a mile and we all saw the fight there. That hasn't gone but he is injured and he still hurts from last year he must be captain if fit, because he won't lose a second cup final in a row.

If he is out its thommo for me another big game player! Just needs to remember he doesn't play for rangers anymore the refs will book him for constant moaning.

SunshineOnLeith
17-05-2013, 04:13 PM
McPake is our captain, and nobody wants to win the thing more than him. If he's out injured then judging by the derby I'd expect Williams to get it. I'd be tempted to give it to sparky though.

cabbageandribs1875
17-05-2013, 04:30 PM
McPake is our captain, and nobody wants to win the thing more than him. If he's out injured then judging by the derby I'd expect Williams to get it. I'd be tempted to give it to sparky though.

sparky doesn't need any motivation or added pressure, lets leave him to play his normal game

Spike Mandela
17-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Why can't we all get behind our Captain? He was inspirational for us last year and for whatever reason has lost a bit of form or confidence this year. This is the time players like McPake need the fans to get behind them and support them. I for one hope he is fit for the final and lifts the cup after a Man of the Match performance.

Dinkydoo
17-05-2013, 04:50 PM

Absolutely this.

I think some people are forgetting that when fit, McPake is a great captain - it's understandable since he's not been fit for 3/4 of the season though.

Some people suggesting Stevenson......No. A good squad player but not a leader IMO. Thomson is too much of a hot head for my liking and I can see him getting sent off if things aren't going our way.

Williams for me; despite the derby performance, he's been a leader at the back this season.

weecounty hibby
17-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Why can't we all get behind our Captain? He was inspirational for us last year and for whatever reason has lost a bit of form or confidence this year. This is the time players like McPake need the fans to get behind them and support them. I for one hope he is fit for the final and lifts the cup after a Man of the Match performance.
Spike old boy, while I do agree with you that I would love to see McPake lift the cup we cannot have any room for sentiment. He can only play if 100% fit, no sentimentality as we can't afford to go there with anyone less than 100%. If fit I'd play him if not then, sorry James it has to be over to someone else. If It's not JMcP then I'd plump for Hanlon.

Judas Iscariot
17-05-2013, 05:06 PM
McPake is the captain of Hibernian FC

If selected he will be captain on the day and lead the team up the steps to lift the trophy :agree:

Potty78
17-05-2013, 05:07 PM
A wee birdie told me McPake has had a fall out with Fenlon. We need 11 captains on the day to succeed. We have players hitting good form at the right time at least.

DaveF
17-05-2013, 05:09 PM
A wee birdie told me McPake has had a fall out with Fenlon. We need 11 captains on the day to succeed. We have players hitting good form at the right time at least.

Riiiight :rolleyes:

Golden Bear
17-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Mcpake, but failing that, Thomson.

It's more difficult for a 'keeper to lead the team and that's the only reason I wouldn't consider Ben Williams.

Cropley10
17-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Jordan plays ahead of McPake. Thommo captains the team. He was captain at 21 year old and for a reason.

weecounty hibby
17-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Really? This wee birdie, would it be Barry Anderson by any chance? Strange post really, would you care to elaborate about this? Maybe it was his turn to head butt Pat as Sparky seems to have grown up nowadays.

Potty78
17-05-2013, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=weecounty hibby;3606531]Really? This wee birdie, would it be Barry Anderson by any chance? Strange post really, would you care to elaborate about this? Maybe it was his turn to head butt Pat as Sparky seems to have grown up nowadays.[/QUOTEjust posting what I heard and I have no reason to lie. I hope it is bull and he plays tomorrow to prove me wrong.

HibeeN
17-05-2013, 08:00 PM
I don't think Fenlon would make Thomson captain. He could have for the derby but he gave it to Williams. I think that shows what the pecking order is, which I'm glad about. Williams is passionate and vocal, and as much as I'm glad that Thomson is back, I wouldn't want to see him captain the side again.

McPake is club captain, and if he plays, he will be captain. Failing that, I would expect to see Williams with the armband.