PDA

View Full Version : Beckham Retires

scott7_0(Prague)
16-05-2013, 02:04 PM
David Beckham retires from Football.

Got to say he has a great career and personally, it was a pleasure to watch at times.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-05-16/beckham-will-retire-from-professional-football/

EdinMike
16-05-2013, 02:10 PM

Got to say he has a great career and personally, it was a pleasure to watch at times.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-05-16/beckham-will-retire-from-professional-football/

It was good to poke fun at him, and although being an England Captain and a annoying pretty boy... I can't say a bad word about the guy. I'm sure he still has a lot more to give to football.

Dashing Bob S
16-05-2013, 02:12 PM

Technically retired when Sir Alex let him go. Has been a lucrative football shirts, perfume and underpants salesman for most of the last decade.

poolman
16-05-2013, 02:13 PM
One of the good guys :agree:

surreyhibbie
16-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Technically retired when Sir Alex let him go. Has been a lucrative football shirts, perfume and underpants salesman for most of the last decade.

Surprised the yams haven't made a bid......

Stringer
16-05-2013, 02:14 PM

This. It's a shame he will be remembered over someone like Scholes.

Hibercelona
16-05-2013, 02:18 PM
He's always been a slightly better "Robbie Savage" in my view.

Pretty pish over all, but did well for himself because he was a bit of a character.

scott7_0(Prague)
16-05-2013, 02:23 PM

Pretty pish over all, but did well for himself because he was a bit of a character.

Aye right, pint of what you've been on.

Stevie Reid
16-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Superb player, and seems like a good guy. Always liked him.

SteveHFC
16-05-2013, 02:25 PM
He could still do a job in the SPL :greengrin

Pretty Boy
16-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Very good player, seems like a good guy.

Theres not a lot he hasn't acheived in club football.

Sir David Gray
16-05-2013, 02:29 PM

Put the drink down.

Haymaker
16-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Bit of a Hero of mine.

deeks01
16-05-2013, 02:35 PM
He always seemed a bit of a drama queen , perhaps his actual final game being a 1 off to help an underdog win their holy grail for the first time in 111 years would appeal to his dramatic side.... PETRIE? ;)

Sir David Gray
16-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Sad to see Beckham, Scholes and Sir Alex all announcing their retirement from the game over the past week.

Definitely the end of an era, particularly for people of my age group who grew up with them and known nothing different.

Skanko79
16-05-2013, 02:58 PM

:faf:

PerfectlyFranck
16-05-2013, 03:00 PM

Eh? :crazy::drunk:

The only similarity is that they're both footballers - well… one was a footballer, the other was being paid to play football.

In the short time I've been reading threads here, your posts are the only ones I can recall.

HibeeMG
16-05-2013, 03:26 PM
One of the best right footed passers of a ball I've ever seen.

Combine that with his fitness and determination on the pitch made him a very, very good footballer.

He seems like a very nice guy too so good luck to him.

Keith_M
16-05-2013, 03:35 PM
George Best on David Beckham....

“Beckham cannot kick with his left foot, can’t head the ball, can’t tackle and he doesn’t score enough goals. Otherwise he’s all right.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/191964/Georges-Best-quotes.html#ixzz2TTEFWlDv

hfc rd
16-05-2013, 03:42 PM
One of my idols when I was a kid. Always used to ask my parents that I wanted the new latest Beckham hairdo when they took me to the barbers. What a right foot he had. One of the best that I have seen. Even with all that money he was earning at his respective clubs plus the extras in the TV advertisement business and his huge popularity, his passion for the game never went away. Always give his all for the shirt every time he stepped out onto that pitch.

southfieldhibby
16-05-2013, 03:44 PM

You have to be kidding?While he's not fit to carry Scholes' boots to the game, to label him as 'slightly better' than Robbie Savage displays an obvious lack of footballing knowledge.

Skanko79
16-05-2013, 04:12 PM

“Beckham cannot kick with his left foot, can’t head the ball, can’t tackle and he doesn’t score enough goals. Otherwise he’s all right.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/191964/Georges-Best-quotes.html#ixzz2TTEFWlDv

clearly came out with that after 45 cans of stella.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
16-05-2013, 04:25 PM
He could still do a job in the SPL :greengrin

Aye..with him supporting Goodwillie and Boyd up front the Yams would be unbeatable. :devil:

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Best crosser of the ball from deep positions that I have seen. Moved from the back pages of the papers to the front and middle pages too early when he signed for L.A. Galaxy and in hindsight, I think he knows that.

NAE NOOKIE
16-05-2013, 04:51 PM
A great player ... good luck to him.

The only thing that annoyed me about him is that in the same month he scored that goal from the half way line at Chrystal Palace that everybody still raves about Hibs scored twice from the same distance without barely getting a mention.

Skanko79
16-05-2013, 05:02 PM
A great player ... good luck to him.

The only thing that annoyed me about him is that in the same month he scored that goal from the half way line at Chrystal Palace that everybody still raves about Hibs scored twice from the same distance without barely getting a mention.

remember that well, iirc there were no cameras at both games, think it was charnley against alloa in the cup and mcginley against killie, or the other way around.

16-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Been a fantastic ambassador for the sport and has been a great role model. Seems a decent guy and done a lot of charity work to help those that are less fortunate than himself.

Well done Becks :aok:

lyonhibs
16-05-2013, 05:58 PM

:faf:

"Did well for himself"?? 115 caps for England, league champion in 4 countries, Champions League winner.

"Because he was a bit of a character"?? Tam McManus (as an example) was "a bit of a character", but achieved naff all.

(((Fergus)))
16-05-2013, 07:06 PM

The fact that George Best felt threatened by, and envious of, David Beckham is an accolade in itself (of sorts).

jdships
16-05-2013, 07:16 PM
It was good to poke fun at him, and although being an England Captain and a annoying pretty boy... I can't say a bad word about the guy. I'm sure he still has a lot more to give to football.

Sums him up perfectly for me :thumbsup:
Always had that 5% that said ' bit of a drama queen ' but then how many lesser talented players were the same :greengrin

Just hope we don't get a months TV programmes telling us what cereal he eats for breakfast etc :rolleyes:

marinello59
16-05-2013, 07:17 PM
The fact that George Best felt threatened by, and envious of, David Beckham is an accolade in itself (of sorts).

Envious and threatened? Aye, right. Nobody, not even the most rabid Beckhsm fan, would claim that Becks had even half the talent George Best had. Best was just telling it like it was.

Scouse Hibee
16-05-2013, 07:23 PM

:faf: Brilliant, what next from this inspired poster.

JohnStephens91
16-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Beckham was a good footballer, all he was great at was a long pass and set pieces, more of a model and a sponsorship whore than anything else though.

WindyMiller
18-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Sums it up for me........http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/beckham-had-been-playing-football-since-leaving-man-united-2013051769101

jdships
18-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Sums it up for me........http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/beckham-had-been-playing-football-since-leaving-man-united-2013051769101

Salt & Sauzee
Beckham was a good footballer, all he was great at was a long pass and set pieces, more of a model and a sponsorship whore than anything else though.

:top marks
Sums things up for me :thumbsup: