PDA

View Full Version : Sportsound last night

The Sea-gull
16-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Wasn't able to listen but let me guess:-

Pre match - despite Hibs great win in the derby the pundits put it down to luck and predict a Killie win.

Durning the first half - Commentary team show bias towards Killie, shower them with praise and range from being in-different to negative about Hibs.

Half time in studio - Talk of how Hibs are fortunate to be in front and hint that they expect (want) Killie to come out of the blocks and win the game in the second half.

During the second half - Talk up Killie's "domination" and hint that they believe (want) there will only be one winner now

Post match in studio- Final score harsh on Killie. Smash and grab from Hibs but not credit given for Hibs keeping going right until the end. Get a few snidey comments in about Hibs and our season before the show ends.

OK, I may have exaggerated a bit but was this anything like what was broadcast?

hibbysam
16-05-2013, 10:07 AM

Pre match - despite Hibs great win in the derby the pundits put it down to luck and predict a Killie win.

Durning the first half - Commentary team show bias towards Killie, shower them with praise and range from being in-different to negative about Hibs.

Half time in studio - Talk of how Hibs are fortunate to be in front and hint that they expect (want) Killie to come out of the blocks and win the game in the second half.

During the second half - Talk up Killie's "domination" and hint that they believe (want) there will only be one winner now

Post match in studio- Final score harsh on Killie. Smash and grab from Hibs but not credit given for Hibs keeping going right until the end. Get a few snidey comments in about Hibs and our season before the show ends.

Commented at the time when listening, that Billy Dodds was extremely complimentary of Hibs both at Half time and Full time... Saying we were excellent first half even although Killie never got going, and at full time praising the kids, especially Harris to the hilt!

Hero76
16-05-2013, 10:13 AM

TBF it was the very opposite.

Kenny Shiels went of on one which was in a totally different direction from Chick's question's.

superfurryhibby
16-05-2013, 10:15 AM

Don't get the point of your thread, we are not Celtic in disguise?

The Sea-gull
16-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Don't get the point of your thread, we are not Celtic in disguise?

I know where you are going and my thread was meant a bit tongue in cheek but don't think I'm the only one who belives that certain BBC broadcasters enjoy being negative about Hibs and struggle to give us any credit. Not all of them but some of them.

neilmartinrocks
16-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Sat in and listened tae the game on sportsound and cannae honestly say I felt we were dissed ( i believe the expression is ) by the pundits, fair enough the odd jibe in our direction but nought serious.

zlatan
16-05-2013, 10:35 AM
http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/tin-foil-hat.jpg?3d6f98

chrisski33
16-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Are we gonna get a new thread about sportscene every time its on? :-/

The Sea-gull
16-05-2013, 10:44 AM

Not sure about Sportscene, this thread is about Sportsound and so what if we do.

clerriehibs
16-05-2013, 10:45 AM

Hope so. Seems fair enough to do so; have a thread discussing the previous night's football programme. Rather less obsessive and way more relevant than some of the threads on here.

JeMeSouviens
16-05-2013, 10:50 AM
I know where you are going and my thread was meant a bit tongue in cheek but don't think I'm the only one who belives that certain BBC broadcasters enjoy being negative about Hibs and struggle to give us any credit. Not all of them but some of them.

Charlie "Mouth of Sauron" Mann and "Soggy Biscuits" Preston apart, the rest of them are pretty much ok?

The Sea-gull
16-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Charlie "Mouth of Sauron" Mann and "Soggy Biscuits" Preston apart, the rest of them are pretty much ok?

Not massively keen on Richard Gordon, Liam McLeod, Rob McLean and Kenny McIntyre just off the top of my head. All appear to have an irrationale dislike towards Hibs but this debate has been done before so better not start it again as some folk don't like discussions of this nature appearing on the board.

I actually don't think that Mann, Preston and Paul Mitchell and John Robertson are that bad once you give them allowances for the fact that they are massive Jambos having to talk about Hibs on national radio. Imagine what some of us would say about the Yams if we were in their shoes!

neilmartinrocks
16-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Not massively keen on Richard Gordon, Liam McLeod, Rob McLean and Kenny McIntyre just off the top of my head. All appear to have an irrationale dislike towards Hibs but this debate has been done before so better not start it again as some folk don't like discussions of this nature appearing on the board.

I actually don't think that Mann, Preston and Paul Mitchell and John Robertson are that bad once you give them allowances for the fact that they are massive Jambos having to talk about Hibs on national radio. Imagane what some of us would say about the Yams if we were in their shoes!

The game wuild hae tae be on well after midnight or just leave the bleeper on for the 90mins.
Was wondering if that "Fan Radio" thing was still on the go two supporters commentating on the the game, one fae each team some gems on that show.

Geo_1875
16-05-2013, 11:08 AM
http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/tin-foil-hat.jpg?3d6f98

Craig Levein's certainly let himself go.

Treadstone
16-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Paranoia apart, Richard Gordon seems to have an axe to grind on anything regarding Hibs. PF flagged this up before the semi last year, not naming him specifically, to which the backtracking on Sportsound was music to my ears. Some of them really are quite pathetic and some are decent. I find the journalists are okay now that Jabba has left.

JeMeSouviens
16-05-2013, 11:09 AM

I actually don't think that Mann, Preston and Paul Mitchell and John Robertson are that bad once you give them allowances for the fact that they are massive Jambos having to talk about Hibs on national radio. Imagane what some of us would say about the Yams if we were in their shoes!

I don't think the first 4 have anything particularly against Hibs, they may have been negative about us over the last year or 3 but then again, we have played some pretty eye bleeding football over that period.

The latter 4, I agree about Mitchell and Robertson. Preston is harmless enough and his anti-Hibs stuff is mostly "banter", although usually more irritating than funny. They could definitely use a bit of balance by employing someone of the Hibby persuasion. Patershun is ok but a bit of a plodder. The one I really can't stand is Mann, sleekit wee **** with a nauseating whine. After the arse he made of himself being Vlad's mouthpiece, can't believe the Beeb took him back tbh.

The Sea-gull
16-05-2013, 11:19 AM
I don't think the first 4 have anything particularly against Hibs, they may have been negative about us over the last year or 3 but then again, we have played some pretty eye bleeding football over that period.

The latter 4, I agree about Mitchell and Robertson. Preston is harmless enough and his anti-Hibs stuff is mostly "banter", although usually more irritating than funny. They could definitely use a bit of balance by employing someone of the Hibby persuasion. Patershun is ok but a bit of a plodder. The one I really can't stand is Mann, sleekit wee **** with a nauseating whine. After the arse he made of himself being Vlad's mouthpiece, can't believe the Beeb took him back tbh.

Totally agree with that. We have played some dire stuff and some criticism has been deserved but a lot of negaitive stuff about Hibs is exaggerated by some and some of them have seemed to enjoy kicking us when we have been down and revelling in our state at times.

stoneyburn hibs
16-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Sorry, I don't buy into this supposedly anti Hibs agenda from the BBC.

blackpoolhibs
16-05-2013, 11:54 AM

It annoys the hell out of me though, they wouldn't get away with it if on the BBC if it was against one half of the bigot brothers, but it seems to be fine and dandy against us?

superfurryhibby
16-05-2013, 12:00 PM
It annoys the hell out of me though, they wouldn't get away with it if on the BBC if it was against one half of the bigot brothers, but it seems to be fine and dandy against us?

I agree with your wider point, it wouldn't be acceptable if it were banter like that with the Old Firm but, that is the point. We are not like them and the banter is thus much less incendiary.

I generally like Sportsound, although the insight offerred via the punditry of Billy Dodds, Murdo McLeod and that yam fanny are not always particularly great. As for Chick Young, comedy gold almost everytime he opens his mouth.

down-the-slope
16-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Robbo was pretty complimentary about Hibs on Sundays commentary, and although some of them are pretty poor...any criticism of Hibs is mild compared to our own 'support' on here much of the time :wink:

blackpoolhibs
16-05-2013, 12:14 PM
I agree with your wider point, it wouldn't be acceptable if it were banter like that with the Old Firm but, that is the point. We are not like them and the banter is thus much less incendiary.

I generally like Sportsound, although the insight offerred via the punditry of Billy Dodds, Murdo McLeod and that yam fanny are not always particularly great. As for Chick Young, comedy gold almost everytime he opens his mouth.

What annoys me most though, is just how arrogant they are against us. When i said they wouldn't do so with either bigot, it also shows lack of respect to us too. You see we along with Hearts are just not as important, so its fine to ridicule the smaller clubs, we are only a side show until sevco get back to the SPL.

I'm all for banter but balanced banter, and thats clearly in my eyes not happening. Its ridiculing us, because we don't matter in the grand scheme of things, and that has to change.

superfurryhibby
16-05-2013, 12:20 PM
What annoys me most though, is just how arrogant they are against us. When i said they wouldn't do so with either bigot, it also shows lack of respect to us too. You see we along with Hearts are just not as important, so its fine to ridicule the smaller clubs, we are only a side show until sevco get back to the SPL.

I'm all for banter but balanced banter, and thats clearly in my eyes not happening. Its ridiculing us, because we don't matter in the grand scheme of things, and that has to change.

They are very fixated on the O/F, as is most of Scottish sports media. It's the nature of the beast. To be fair, I think they are much more complimentary to the likes of Motherwell and ICT. Hibs/Hearts are both big clubs who underachieve, currently and historically and that's a factor in why they consider us fair game.

IndieHibby
16-05-2013, 12:22 PM

Fenlon felt the 3-1 scoreline at Kilmarnock "was a bit harsh" on the home side, admitting that his team rode their luck in the second half as they moved into seventh place in the SPL table. From the BBC artcle today.

Paranoid mutch?

patlowe
16-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Only really listened at half time but I have to say I was surprised at how strongly they emphasised how poor the game was/Killie were as opposed to Hibs being good. As others have said though, Dodds did pipe up about us playing well.

The Sea-gull
16-05-2013, 12:37 PM
From the BBC artcle today.

Paranoid mutch?

Not at all, as I have said earlier, thread was exaggerated and tongue in cheek. Didn't hear the show and was just interested to hear if the views on the programme were along these lines as based on the way Hibs have been reported in recent times by that show this is the sort of output that may have been expected. Sounds like they were fair and balanced last night. Not always the case.

JimBHibees
16-05-2013, 12:42 PM

Completely agree with that the lack of professionalism that is allowed is cringeworthy. Can remember vividly Preston and Blobbo getting into teenage raptures when Ross County equalised in the cup at ER a few years ago? No other club would IMO have been treated this way and it shouldnt have been allowed to happen. Given that is what 3 or 4 years back the two clowns have been able to get away with the nonsense since then.

blackpoolhibs
16-05-2013, 01:17 PM
They are very fixated on the O/F, as is most of Scottish sports media. It's the nature of the beast. To be fair, I think they are much more complimentary to the likes of Motherwell and ICT. Hibs/Hearts are both big clubs who underachieve, currently and historically and that's a factor in why they consider us fair game.

Their job is to comment on whats gone on before them, not take the piss out of it imo. They should also be talking up the WHOLE game in Scotland, not trying to bury it into the ground.

Telling us just how bad things are, and how we really need sevco back to give us something worth watching is scandalous, and putting each and every other club this country has down. They should be promoting the game, not slaughtering everything about it.

Amateurs running the game, and amateurs reporting it, no wonder we are in the mess we are?

Why would any sponsor put money into our game, when our pundits and media are telling anyone who will listen just how bad it is?

brog
16-05-2013, 01:33 PM
To slightly deviate, IMO, with a few honourable exceptions, pretty much all of the Scottish football media is much worse than the game they continually denigrate. Two examples from today's DR. Apparently we've signed a guy called Ryan Caldwell & he was on bench last night. Not sure if he's related to Ross who scored a derby winning goal all of 3 days ago. The best however is a 2 page article about the chairman of Dublin club where Jon Daly started expressing incredulity that he's likely to end up with blue half of the bigot bros. Headline however reads " I knew Jon would make it with OF but I never imagined it would be with Celtic" !! If the Scottish media were as good as Scottish footballers they'd be winning Pulitzer Prizes. Oh for the days of Rafferty, Wood & Fairgrieve.

superfurryhibby
16-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Their job is to comment on whats gone on before them, not take the piss out of it imo. They should also be talking up the WHOLE game in Scotland, not trying to bury it into the ground.

Telling us just how bad things are, and how we really need sevco back to give us something worth watching is scandalous, and putting each and every other club this country has down. They should be promoting the game, not slaughtering everything about it.

Amateurs running the game, and amateurs reporting it, no wonder we are in the mess we are?

Why would any sponsor put money into our game, when our pundits and media are telling anyone who will listen just how bad it is?

I don't think the reporting has any responsibility for the state of our game. Not sure how they can talk up the state of our game, it is in a poor state, albeit that the reasons for this are complex. It's also sad but true to say that the HUns make the game more sellable, they clearly have a fanbase and create interest in Scottish football that the other teams (outside Celtic) cannot. I would also say that The BBC do promote the game. They cover Scottish football fairly extensively with live match commentary and a nightly show.

How do we measure the state of out game? The national team has been gash for at least 15 years (with one campaign where we did well, but not quite enough). Our teams regularly get humped in Europe by clubs from minnow nations . Add to that the fact that's it's been twenty five years since a club outside the Old Firm won the league and it doesn't paint a very nice picture.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Don't rate Murdo McLeod as he seems to have the gig because he is ex OF. Don't care for Stephen Craigan as he is all the bad bits of Scott Booth, Alan McInally, Davie Provan and Craig Burley thrown together.

Viva_Palmeiras
16-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Perhaps somewhat proving the point that you only get noticed for being controversial our very own Craig Paterson has gone completely under the radar of this thread... Perhaps from the old Bill Mclaren school of impartiality (or as close as possible).

tamig
16-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Perhaps somewhat proving the point that you only get noticed for being controversial our very own Craig Paterson has gone completely under the radar of this thread... Perhaps from the old Bill Mclaren school of impartiality (or as close as possible).

Think someone referred to Craigie earlier in the thread although he called him - a bit naffly - Patershun.