PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to Cairney?

Mac
11-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Apologies if ive missed something but where is he these days?

GreenOnions
11-03-2013, 08:28 AM
I don't know for sure but I think he's just been dropped. I think he's a good player but opposition teams have worked him out a bit and he's not been nearly as effective recently as he was at the beginning of the season. I feel he needs to work on his game a bit. Paul doesn't have pace so maybe over-relied on his nutmeg trick IMHO. Defenders know if they can keep their legs together they'll probably force PC to either lose the ball or turn and pass the ball backwards.

He's maybe also been the victim of Alex Harris' development. After watching Harris' performance yesterday I think PC will have to work even harder now!

Heisenberg
11-03-2013, 08:31 AM
He's been given a rest. Fenlon thought he had looked completely knackered recently so he's been given a few games out. Hopefully see him back on Friday.

MB62
11-03-2013, 08:34 AM
I don't know for sure but I think he's just been dropped. I think he's a good player but opposition teams have worked him out a bit and he's not been nearly as effective recently as he was at the beginning of the season. I feel he needs to work on his game a bit. Paul doesn't have pace so maybe over-relied on his nutmeg trick IMHO. Defenders know if they can keep their legs together they'll probably force PC to either lose the ball or turn and pass the ball backwards.

He's maybe also been the victim of Alex Harris' development. After watching Harris' performance yesterday I think PC will have to work even harder now!

Very impressed with young Alex yesterday and looking forward to seeing more of him in the first team :thumbsup:

Ray_
11-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Very impressed with young Alex yesterday and looking forward to seeing more of him in the first team :thumbsup:

:agree: Looked a player all right.

The Sea-gull
11-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Liked Cairney up until about mid-November time and since then (much like the whole team for the majority of games since then) he's gone off the boil a bit. Him and Spoony were running riot down the flanks in a 4-4-2 earlier this season with Taiwo/Deegan and Claros being tidy in the middle and Griffiths and Doyle playing well up top together.

Our down turn in results since then owes much to a loss of form (well consistency anyway) of Wotherspoon, Cairney and Doyle who were star performers but haven't managed to carry their Autumn form into Winter.

Cairney looked a decent player but he looks like he might be one of these players who carries a bit of weight on him and maybe that just catches up after a few months of the season. He still has a part to play but it might be that he will eventually becomes a squad player rather than the first pick he was earlier in the season.

darrenmcintosh2
11-03-2013, 06:20 PM
I like PC for a while I couldn't speak highly enough of him. Just recently got my HD package Back and realised he is actually carrying a lot of extra weight. I can allow for stocky build but he looked to have a fuller figure so to speak

IMO. But what does other .netters hink

darrenmcintosh2
11-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Didn't realise the sea gull had posted that haha

LaMotta
15-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Where is he, I wish he would come back from wherever he has disappeared to. There has to be something strange going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70ConXBl4EA

LaMotta
15-03-2013, 11:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNuNpbXcvPY

The Voice Of Reason
15-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Where is he, I wish he would come back from wherever he has disappeared to. There has to be something strange going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70ConXBl4EA

He is being kept out of the team by Wotherspoon and Done - something is not right there ! :confused:

LaMotta
15-03-2013, 11:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d19DWOKD-qI

Danderhall Hibs
16-03-2013, 12:39 AM
He is being kept out of the team by Wotherspoon and Done - something is not right there ! :confused:

Also fallen behind Doyle and Harris in the pecking order. He did go off the boil but Fenlons just cast him aside.

Leishy1995
16-03-2013, 12:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d19DWOKD-qI

Who's the scorer? Never seen him before.

hail1875hail
16-03-2013, 12:58 AM
was wondering this tonight was he even on the bench? :confused: Great wee player and has just ceased to exist last month or 2

Heisenberg
16-03-2013, 01:11 AM
I really don't see what Robertson brings as essentially the more attacking midfielder, he did go forward more in his first few games but now not so much. A position that Cairney would prevail in IMO. Taiwo/Thomson and Claros in behind with Cairney actually getting forward to support. Harris deserves a start too.

Dinkydoo
16-03-2013, 01:18 AM
Robertson and Done have performed worse in the past few weeks than Cairney did to get dropped.

Harris though, looks to be an excellent player. If PF isn't going to start Cairney in our next match I'd definitely have him out wide.

Gala Foxes
16-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Cairney has got an ability & willingness to push forward with the ball and take players on, our other midfielders seem to want to go back with the ball and then make either an easy + safe pass that is usually either sideways or backwards. My only concern with Cairney is his fitness, not sure if he was full time at Partick but he doesn't seem to have built his stamina since the start of the season.

Beefster
16-03-2013, 08:57 AM
There's a pattern to these things.

- player gets dropped for being guff for months
- team continues to be guff in his absence
- fans clamour for said player's return
- player and team continue to be guff

LaMotta
16-03-2013, 09:04 AM

Cairney hadn`t been guff for months. He was hooked in the new year derby moments after producing the only bit of quality from hibs in the entire game and we have hardly seen him since.

HibeeN
16-03-2013, 09:05 AM

While I agree with this, there has to be an argument for bringing him back in his correct position. Which is an attacking central midfielder. Maybe the reason he is looking so burned out and unfit is because of the role he has been asked to play this season, going forward out wide and tracking all the way back too.

If Robertson has been off the boil in the past few games then why not give Cairney a chance in an attacking position, playing behind Griffiths? With, for example, Harris and Spoony/Doyle out wide. It would allow us another player getting forward into the box, and give us the option of some creativity with a player who can play a penetrating pass through the middle.

Yes, of course there is the chance that we could play him there and we'd still be hopeless, but given our recent run of form there might be just cause in shaking things up a bit.

Danderhall Hibs
16-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Cairney hadn`t been guff for months. He was hooked in the new year derby moments after producing the only bit of quality from hibs in the entire game and we have hardly seen him since.

:agree:

jeffers
16-03-2013, 10:51 AM
From my avatar obvious who I like as a player. No arguments he hasn't performed as well latterly as he did earlier in the season, but unless he is injured I don't understand why he hasn't even made the bench in the past few weeks. Without wishing to turn this into another go at Wotherspoon, Paul Cairney hasn't turned in any performances as poor as the one Wotherspoon did last Sunday yet he starts the game last night while Paul Cairney watches from the stand. Harris deserves a chance out wide, but as others have said Robertson has been poor the past few games, so bring back Cairney and give him a chance playing through the middle behind Sparky.

500miles
16-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Cairney will be a huge player for us next season, but he really needs to work on getting up to speed with the physical demands of the SPL. Last couple of times he has looks remarkably slow and lethargic. If he puts in the hard work, however, it is plain to see he has the technical gifts.

LioNeilMessi
16-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Definitely seems to be a link between Doyle and Cairney playing well :cb

But in all seriousness, it's widely believed that he isn't a natural wide midfielder yet that's where he has played most his games for us.. So I'd swap him in with Robertson or Taiwo - assuming that he is match fit. Definitely couldn't hurt our midfield :agree:

soda70
16-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Cairney will be a huge player for us next season, but he really needs to work on getting up to speed with the physical demands of the SPL. Last couple of times he has looks remarkably slow and lethargic. If he puts in the hard work, however, it is plain to see he has the technical gifts.

Totally agree with this post, spot on, I think Cairney needs a break, hopefully he will come back before the end of the season totally fresh and raring to go:thumbsup:

Billychaotic182
21-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Where is the lad? Is he injured, dropped family issues? I just don't understand why he is completely out the team? Anyone know?

1875STEVE
21-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Where is the lad? Is he injured, dropped family issues? I just don't understand why he is completely out the team? Anyone know?

Apparently suffers from Crohn's disease and it hasn't been the best lately.

blackpoolhibs
21-03-2013, 03:21 PM

If this is true, what a shame for the lad. I suffer from it too, and its not great and would be the reason he seems to carry a little weight. Normally with this problem the medication can put weight on.

I hope he only has a mild version of this, and gets well soon. :pray:

J-C
21-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Bit strange the club hasn't said anything about it unless Cairney has expressed his wishes not to, would stop all the guessers.

Boyle89
21-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Jesus I hope thats not true. Must be very hard to deal with it in any walk of life never mind being a pro footballer. If this is true my respect for the man has grown even more. Was a delight to watch earlier this season and hope he can get over this rough patch.

Vault Boy
21-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Jesus I hope thats not true. Must be very hard to deal with it in any walk of life never mind being a pro footballer. If this is true my respect for the man has grown even more. Was a delight to watch earlier this season and hope he can get over this rough patch.

:agree: Best of luck to Paul, whatever it is that is keeping him out. Hope to see him back in and around the team soon.

Jones28
21-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Just checked it out on wiki, looks like a real nasty one and I hope this isn't the case! He was a breath of fresh air at the start of the season and can't wait for him to be back to full fitness

Stevie Reid
21-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Earlier in the season, when he played well, we played well - it's no coincidence that our form has dipped as his has. Was a revelation earlier in the season, still have very high hopes for him.

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-03-2013, 04:57 PM

My niece has this and just got out of hospital this week when it flared up, can be a real nasty disease to treat, hope the wee man gets it sorted.

cabbageandribs1875
21-03-2013, 05:05 PM
i remember reading the guy that plays cain dingle in emmerdale(:embarrass) jeff Hordley, has crohn's disease :agree: just thought i'd say :) hope wee cairney gets it sorted out

Billy Whizz
21-03-2013, 05:18 PM
I think this the same illness as Darren Fletcher?

hfc rd
21-03-2013, 05:31 PM
I think thisnisnthe same illness as Darren Fletcher?

Don't think it is. Darren Fletcher currently has a chronic bowel condition. I'm sure it's completely different.

jodjam
21-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Don't think it is. Darren Fletcher currently has a chronic bowel condition. I'm sure it's completely different.

DF has ulcerative collitis

CRAZYHIBBY
21-03-2013, 06:41 PM

Apparantly self infestation with intestinal worms is a proven cure though its not somthing thats widely used or known

blackpoolhibs
21-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Apparantly self infestation with intestinal worms is a proven cure though its not somthing thats widely used or known

There is no cure?

HibernianJK
21-03-2013, 07:10 PM
If this is true im surprised we haven't heard about it till now. Some people including myself have, for want of a better word, criticized Paul for being slightly overweight. Hope he's ok and back playing soon.

Beefster
21-03-2013, 08:31 PM

Research is ongoing but worms are far from scientifically proven yet. If it was a proven cure, you can be guaranteed that everyone would be using them, seeing as it would be much easier than steroids, anti-rejection drugs and surgery.

Billy Whizz
21-03-2013, 08:37 PM
If this is true im surprised we haven't heard about it till now. Some people including myself have, for want of a better word, criticized Paul for being slightly overweight. Hope he's ok and back playing soon.

Could be what he's prescribed to counter act it

blackpoolhibs
21-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Research is ongoing but worms are far from scientifically proven yet. If it was a proven cure, you can be guaranteed that everyone would be using them, seeing as it would be much easier than steroids, anti-rejection drugs and surgery.

:agree: I'd love them to find a cure for this, i have missed so much football recently because of a flare up of mine. And i also blame the steroids for my weight gain. :wink:

Billy Whizz
21-03-2013, 08:57 PM
:agree: I'd love them to find a cure for this, i have missed so much football recently because of a flare up of mine. And i also blame the steroids for my weight gain. :wink:

Who do you play for

blackpoolhibs
21-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Who do you play for

The Stanley road snooker team.

Billychaotic182
21-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Christ that sounds awful. Kinda wish it was just a wee injury. Hope he is back soon

Golden Bear
27-03-2013, 01:18 PM
There's nothing to suggest that Paul Cairney has been suffering from any mystery ailment going by this article.

http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/football/hibs/paul-cairney-told-to-fight-for-hibs-starting-spot-1-2857880

Peevemor
27-03-2013, 01:25 PM
There's nothing to suggest that Paul Cairney has been suffering from any mystery ailment going by this article.

http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/football/hibs/paul-cairney-told-to-fight-for-hibs-starting-spot-1-2857880

:agree: Droppeditis.

allezsauzee
27-03-2013, 01:27 PM
I thought maybe he had given up football for lent

coco22
27-03-2013, 01:58 PM

There's nothing to suggest that Paul Cairney has been suffering from any mystery ailment going by this

:agree: Droppeditis.

Maybe someone should have a word in Fenlon's ear. Does he not realise he is dealing with a player with a seriously debilitating illness? :rolleyes: Then again he doesn't have the ITK capacity of our Hibs.net colleagues.:greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
27-03-2013, 02:22 PM
The Crohn's disease is news to the Thistle fans I know - Is this a pile of Crohn's?

Peevemor
27-03-2013, 02:34 PM

Nah - Griffiths, Claros and McGivern are lent, but not Cairney - we signed him

Beefster
27-03-2013, 04:14 PM
The Crohn's disease is news to the Thistle fans I know - Is this a pile of Crohn's?

I read something that said that Cairney had missed games due to illness at Partick and they had been worried that he had Crohn's. So yes, it's possible/likely that he doesn't actually have it.

1875STEVE
27-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Maybe someone should have a word in Fenlon's ear. Does he not realise he is dealing with a player with a seriously debilitating illness? :rolleyes: Then again he doesn't have the ITK capacity of our Hibs.net colleagues.:greengrin

Never claimed to be "ITK".

But it's been spoken about before, and im pretty sure i Heard it being spoken about on the radio that he had missed most of a season at Partick due to it.

It was also posted here:

http://www.hibeesbounce.com/forum/showthread.php?103559-Paul-Cairney&highlight=crohn%27s+disease

By someone else 11 days before i posted on here.

So. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Brooster
27-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Him and fenlon had a fallout. I don't know if they resolved the issue.

Stringer
27-03-2013, 11:01 PM
I think Harris deserves a run in the team over Cairney

Vault Boy
27-03-2013, 11:04 PM
I think Harris deserves a run in the team over Cairney

Agreed, but surely Cairney deserves a run ahead of Wotherspoon.

Stringer
27-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Agreed, but surely Cairney deserves a run ahead of Wotherspoon.

Yeah I agree with that. Feel sorry for spoony thou. I am sure his natural position is in the middle.

Squealing pig
28-03-2013, 12:56 AM
Hink wee Paul was immense when he signed. Hope he gets better soon cause we need him for the cup games hope he's fit for Falkirk. If no Celtic.
Until then Harris please

Northern Hibby
28-03-2013, 01:22 AM
Nah - Griffiths, Claros and McGivern are lent, but not Cairney - we signed him

Now that's funny ;-)

WHUHibs
13-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Sitting in Hampden wondering why we persist
with Cairney! Can't run, can't beat a man and
can't be bothered to tackle!
Fenlon better come up with some magic!

neil7908
15-05-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm genuinely curious if anyone knows what has happened to him? After the Semi he hasn't even been getting on the bench. Is it a fitness issue? Falling out with the manager? Head not in the right place?

He was such a fantastic player for us earlier this season and I would love to have him firing on all cylinders heading into the final. Sadly cant see that happening but would be desperate to see him back on top form for next season.

hibee_girl
15-05-2013, 09:29 PM
He said on twitter yesterday that he wasn't injured, just hadn't been playing well

Humo
15-05-2013, 09:32 PM
He brought a nice creativity and style but all the teams have figured him out and he hasn't tried anything new and IMO deserves to be dropped but I would probably still have him on the bench

Waxy
15-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Really hope the lad gets his head down and put alot of hard work in.
potentially a cracking player.

cam75
15-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Big player for us next season I think ?

Wotherspiniesta
15-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Its not rocket science really.

If you seen his performance in the semi, you'll understand why he's not featured.

He'll come good with a decent preseason under his belt IMO.

Hibercelona
15-05-2013, 09:41 PM
He'll make a Hibs team that's playing good, look really good.

He'll make a Hibs team that's playing rotten, look really rotten.

He's that sort of player.

PerfectlyFranck
15-05-2013, 09:43 PM
He'll make a Hibs team that's playing good, look really good.

He'll make a Hibs team that's playing rotten, look really rotten.

He's that sort of player.

Eh? :confused:

TheReg!
15-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Fitness is shocking tbh, needs to get it together for next season as I believe once he gets fit he will be all over it.

Bostonhibby
15-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Its not rocket science really.

If you seen his performance in the semi, you'll understand why he's not featured.

He'll come good with a decent preseason under his belt IMO.

:agree: All in his own hands, down to what he does pre season, good player early on and I hope he delivers on the promise he showed, brings something different and not afraid to have a shot at goal.

Winston Ingram
15-05-2013, 09:58 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he left

Hibercelona
15-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Eh? :confused:

He's at his best when he has confidence in the players around him.

Can I make it any clearer for you? :rolleyes:

PerfectlyFranck
15-05-2013, 10:35 PM

What a load of rubbish...

J-C
15-05-2013, 10:39 PM
What a load of rubbish...

Not really, when the others are playing well, he does too and shines but when all is not good he's not able to turn it on and change the teams fortunes.

He had fitness and off field problems at Partick, nice lad but seemingly like too much bevvy.

fat freddy
15-05-2013, 10:40 PM
i may be mistaken but i have a vague memory of reading that he has crohns disease..

blackpoolhibs
15-05-2013, 10:40 PM

Another confidence player, just what we need.

I'm a lot more confident with other players than him in the side at the moment, i hope thats clear enough for you?

J-C
15-05-2013, 10:41 PM
i may be mistaken but i have a vague memory of reading that he has crohns disease..

never confirmed, pure rumour

Jones28
15-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Was wondering this myself, can't see him being here next season in all honesty. What with Harris and horribine coming through the ranks as well as Sam Stanton coming back will there be room for him?

LeighLoyal
15-05-2013, 10:43 PM
A good player surely but for whatever reason lost form, a bit like Spoon.

blackpoolhibs
15-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Was wondering this myself, can't see him being here next season in all honesty. What with Harris and horribine coming through the ranks as well as Sam Stanton coming back will there be room for him?

I might be wrong but did he not sign a 3 year deal? On 2nd thoughts it might have been a 2 year deal, but either should still have him at the club next season.

Hopefully he can recapture his early season form, as he was very good then.

Devine
15-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Really liked the look of him earlier in the season but in the last 3-4 months he has looked unfit and visibly overweight (for a pro footballer) whether that's down to a medical issue I don't know but he really needs to get in shape over pre season to have a chance of making a positive impact next season

Jones28
15-05-2013, 10:50 PM
I might be wrong but did he not sign a 3 year deal? On 2nd thoughts it might have been a 2 year deal, but either should still have him at the club next season.

Couldn't tell you BH, don't get me wrong I'd love him to come back to his best again.

Vault Boy
15-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Loosely related, but doesn't require a separate thread.

He retweeted a fan who said something along the lines of:

'Hibs, on behalf of all the fans, I request that Alex Harris is offered a new long term deal.'

Maybe reading a bit too much into it out of pure hope, but I can't imagine he's want to display that message on his profile unless he was planning on signing a new deal. :pray:

Beefster
16-05-2013, 04:48 AM
Can we stop repeating the rumour that Cairney has a medical condition affecting his performances? AKAIK, this has been comprehensively proven as nonsense and isn't really fair to Cairney.

500miles
16-05-2013, 05:53 AM
A bit of guesswork and personal experience here, but i think he's just one of these guys who struggles with his weight. He'll be given a tough cardio - a lot of cycling and interval training - and dietery regime in the closed season, and try to come back at a lower % body fat than everyone else. As the season progresses, it's difficult to keep that training intensity up, so he'll probably start the season better than he finishes again.

MyJo
16-05-2013, 08:25 AM
He has stepped up from 1st division football and this will be the first full, spl season including an extended cup run and it will have taken its toll on him. I think he is probably a bit burned out and maybe suffering a dip in form as a result but certainly not bad enough to justify getting rid of him. He can work on his fitness over the summer and hopefully come back stronger and better prepared for next season.

This pish of "he's had a couple of bad games get him to ******" does my head in, I'm betting the majority of people calling for cairney to go we're also adamant that Claros should have been booted last season as well??

BEEJ
16-05-2013, 08:32 AM

:aok:

It was a two year deal until June 2014.

JollyGreenGiant
16-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Its a shame really, his late winner against St.Johnstone away was one of my favourites of the season!

If he can get himself fit and find his confidence, I still think he can be a decent player for us. But with Harris coming through its going to be tough for him.

Mister P
16-05-2013, 08:43 AM
he's been dropped because of his haircut at the semi.

he was taken aside after th match and told it was a ****ing disgrace!

personally I agree.

Stevie Reid
16-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Was a joy to watch up until December, and still has a lot to offer us next season - has great skill but no pace, but there is a place for him at ER.

JimBHibees
16-05-2013, 09:27 AM
He has stepped up from 1st division football and this will be the first full, spl season including an extended cup run and it will have taken its toll on him. I think he is probably a bit burned out and maybe suffering a dip in form as a result but certainly not bad enough to justify getting rid of him. He can work on his fitness over the summer and hopefully come back stronger and better prepared for next season.

This pish of "he's had a couple of bad games get him to ******" does my head in, I'm betting the majority of people calling for cairney to go we're also adamant that Claros should have been booted last season as well??

Agree probably picked up a couple of injuries then his form has dipped. He was very poor in the semi final however his form earlier in the season was excellent and no reason he cant come back next season a better player.

superfurryhibby
16-05-2013, 09:31 AM
I would be very surprised if, as someone suggests, he left

LIke the team, Cairney has had a very mixed season. My impression is that he isn't the most naturally athletic but can't really buy into any issues around fitness. He was a full time footballer when he joined us and whilst there is step up from Div 1 to SPL, it shouldn't be an almighty leap.

I do think he might struggle to win back a regular starting place, especially if we have a decent wide player (Calum Booth maybe). Cairney's lack of pace is an issue, does good work close in but is unlikely to beat a man from the half way line and burst forwards.

danhibees1875
16-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Was wondering this myself, I'd throw him in against Dundee. :agree:

Brightside
16-05-2013, 09:35 AM
He's not fit enough. and if he doesnt have an illness he's just lazy - which is worse.

JimBHibees
16-05-2013, 10:59 AM
He's not fit enough. and if he doesnt have an illness he's just lazy - which is worse.

Sometimes not as simple as saying that he may have niggling injuries which stop him getting really fit in a short period. He will know that Hibs are a great opportunity however his form has dipped and he probably just needs to rest up fr a few weeks then come back refreshed and raring to go.

Brightside
16-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Sometimes not as simple as saying that he may have niggling injuries which stop him getting really fit in a short period. He will know that Hibs are a great opportunity however his form has dipped and he probably just needs to rest up fr a few weeks then come back refreshed and raring to go.

I said this a while ago.. If he does have niggles that are stopping him training fully they should just put him out to grass early. Let the niggles heal, then come back early for pre season training.

Dalkeith Boy
18-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Anyone know what has happened to Paul Cairney....was one of the best signings Pat Fenlon made I thought?

WestEndHibee
18-05-2013, 03:59 PM

:agree: I agree. Obviously has talent and great at beating a man. I think he'll be an asset with a good preseason behind him.

overdrive
18-05-2013, 05:32 PM
He looked a lot thinner today at the lap of honour