PDA

View Full Version : So, who's won their place in the cup final team?

Northernhibee
15-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Not asking for formations or teams, just from the last few games who has 100% guaranteed themselves a starting place in the cup final, who should be either bench or starting, and who could still make it given a good performance vs Dundee?

For me:

Starting
Ben Williams
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Alex Harris
Jorge Claros
Tom Taiwo
Leigh Griffiths
Ryan McGivern

Bench or start
Scott Robertson
Jordan Forster
Alan Maybury
Kevin Thomson
Ross Caldwell
Eoin Doyle
Danny Handling

Still have something to prove
James McPake
Gary Deegan
David Wotherspoon
Sean Murdoch
Paul Grant
Matt Done

So many players who could still be worthy of a cup final place. Real competition.

EdinMike
15-05-2013, 08:59 PM
I think Spoony is going to be watching 2 Cup Finals from the stand in a row... Ouch !

Vault Boy
15-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Pretty much agree with everything from the OP. I would probably say Kevin is deserving of a start though, he is composed and knows what playing Celtic is about. Also, Murdoch is almost certain to be on the bench, simply because he's a keeper. (Not really had the chance to prove himself worthy/unworthy).

Comiston Hibee
15-05-2013, 09:03 PM
That is all

mentalhibee
15-05-2013, 09:03 PM
I think Spoony is going to be watching 2 Cup Finals from the stand in a row... Ouch !

Got to be in the squad for the final.

pacorosssco
15-05-2013, 09:04 PM
That is all

both should be in squad, goals win cup finals

Hiber-nation
15-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Not asking for formations or teams, just from the last few games who has 100% guaranteed themselves a starting place in the cup final, who should be either bench or starting, and who could still make it given a good performance vs Dundee?

For me:

Starting
Ben Williams
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Alex Harris
Jorge Claros
Tom Taiwo
Leigh Griffiths
Ryan McGivern

Bench or start
Scott Robertson
Jordan Forster
Alan Maybury
Kevin Thomson
Ross Caldwell
Eoin Doyle
Danny Handling

James McPake
Gary Deegan
David Wotherspoon
Sean Murdoch
Paul Grant
Matt Done

So many players who could still be worthy of a cup final place. Real competition.

Not sure where Lewis would fit in unless McGivern plays in place of McPake. Other than that, looks like Clancy might not make it so the big decision is Caldwell or Doyle.

Squealing pig
15-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Harris and Forster to start

Mikey
15-05-2013, 09:06 PM
There's a chance that the major surprise could be Forster in for McPake.

PerfectlyFranck
15-05-2013, 09:07 PM

Does he? I think there's plenty more consistent players as well as players that should be ahead on merit.

It's a shame, but he has had a lot of chances, not just this season either!
If he was reliable enough to play and expect the better side of him, it would've been a great opposite to Harris.

Not for me after this season though. Very poor.
I hope he stays and improves but I don't think he will.

Islington Hibs
15-05-2013, 09:08 PM
How refreshing this thread is. Genuine competition for places. A number of great performances from the youngsters, as well as the more established players and some very tough decisions to be made. Contrast that with the start of the season and the squad was threadbare.

Heisenberg
15-05-2013, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't feel comfortable in chucking Mcpake back in if he misses the Dundee game.

Makaveli
15-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Very few places up for grabs the way I see it.

Williams
-
Maybury/Stevenson
Hanlon
McPake/Forster
McGivern
-
Harris
Taiwo
Claros
Thomson
-
Griffiths
Doyle/Caldwell

I expect it to be McPake (if he plays vs Dundee) and Doyle... right back slot is up in the air but I'd feel safe with either. It will probably be more of a 451 with Doyle playing wide and Caldwell on the bench, but as I say — 8 of the 11 pick themselves.

Subs = Murdoch, the three from above who don't make it, Robertson/Handling.

Tynie01011973
15-05-2013, 09:12 PM
No Tim Clancy listed ?

:hmmm:

hfc rd
15-05-2013, 09:13 PM
No Tim Clancy listed ?

Injured.

Hiber-nation
No Tim Clancy listed ?

PF said yesterday his injury could cause him to miss the Final.

hibeedonald
Forster v Mcpake will be the biggest debate. A fully fit Mcpake still takes it for me.

neil7908
15-05-2013, 09:15 PM
I think Pats got some really tough calls to make.

Williams obviously to start in goal, defence may depend on the fitness of Clancy and McPake (presuming McGivern will be fit now).

I have to say even if both are fit I think Maybury and Forster must have a great chance of getting a start. As much as I still have confidence in McPake to rediscover his form, I think Forster deserves to keep his place. Also think a bit more pace at the back is a plus for us as McPake is quite slow and will be up against some of the most agile attackers in the league.

Midfield for me must be Harris, Claros, Taiwo and Thomson.

Leigh obviously to start and again, a really difficult choice between Doyle and Caldwell. Doyle shades it for me due to his experience and overall contribution off the ball. As much as I've been impressed by Caldwell's finishing I still think Doyle does a huge amount for the team and could play as part of a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1 and do either job well.

Bench would be something like Murdoch, Stevenson, Robertson, Wotherspoon, Caldwell/Doyle.

Great to finally feel like we have some good options.

mentalhibee
15-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Does he? I think there's plenty more consistent players as well as players that should be ahead on merit.

It's a shame, but he has had a lot of chances, not just this season either!
If he was reliable enough to play and expect the better side of him, it would've been a great opposite to Harris.

Not for me after this season though. Very poor.
I hope he stays and improves but I don't think he will.

More assists this season than any other hibs player and 3rd top scorer(only 3 goals like but still!) can play right across midfield and also right back, good attacking option....needs to be in the cup final squad.

Northernhibee
15-05-2013, 09:19 PM

I would do that anyway. Forster has the heart of a lion. Would trust him in the final.

scoopyboy
15-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Forster v Mcpake will be the biggest debate. A fully fit Mcpake still takes it for me.

IMO if McPake doesn't make it McGivern will go to the centre and Lewis will play left back.

Question - Can Jordon play right back?

essexhibee
15-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Thomson has to start imo. As does Harris. :agree:

oconnors_strip
15-05-2013, 09:22 PM
IMO if McPake doesn't make it McGivern will go to the centre and Lewis will play left back.

Question - Can Jordon play right back?

Yes he has played their in youth games and I think he played there for a game with east fife.

Benny Brazil
15-05-2013, 09:22 PM
I'd go with the same team that started the derby if McPake doesn't make it - if he is fit then I would drop Forster to the bench.

Stringer
15-05-2013, 09:24 PM
My team for the final.

Williams (Capt)

Stevenson Forster Hanlon McGivern

Claros Thompson

Doyle Taiwo Harris

Griffiths

lord bunberry
15-05-2013, 09:25 PM
I think it would very harsh on mcpake if he was dropped for the final, he deserves to be playing in the final. He dug us out of a hole last season and has played a big part in changing the loser mentality at the club. He clearly hasn't been 100% fit lately but if he is fit for the final he shouldn't be dropped for an untried teenager. If he isn't fully fit then maybe he shouldn't play

down-the-slope
15-05-2013, 09:27 PM
biggest issue is SFA rules being different and only 16 players in squad..which is ridiculous

So thats a 11 starting and a goalie and 4 outfield on bench.....that makes it so much harder to trim down.

at least in the semi Pat did not have a single defensive player on the bench - so we had players who could come on and make us more offensive...same for the Final I hope

PeterboroHibee
15-05-2013, 09:28 PM
I imagine the line up against Dundee will go some way in highlighting who will be playing in the cup final.

If Forster plays in the final game he has to start the cup final in my opinion. McPake may be the captain and the experienced CB but 3 weeks without a game for a guy who has had a poor season as it is, really wouldnt trust him in the side.

FromTheCapital
15-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Williams

Maybury
McPake/Forster
Hanlon
McGivern

Harris
Taiwo
Claros
Thomson

Doyle/Caldwell
Griffiths

I think that Williams, Maybury, Hanlon, McGivern, Harris, Taiwo, Claros, Thomson and Griffiths should all have guarenteed final spots. I think Lewis Stevenson has been great since he came in for McGivern but I think Ryan deserves it. Same midfield that bullied Hearts in the derby and Sparky in attack alongside Doyle or Caldwell but I'd play Leigh on Saturday as he clearly wants to try and hit or break the 30 goal mark. We're hitting form at the perfect time and the youngsters are beginning to show some quality. Starting to feel a little bit more confidence inside me replacing some hope but we're obviously still big underdogs. Anyway, we need to concentrate on Dundee on Saturday and try and cement 7th place which would be a fairly decent season if you compare it to the last one before we can think about the final.

:flag:

Northernhibee
15-05-2013, 09:31 PM
I think it would very harsh on mcpake if he was dropped for the final, he deserves to be playing in the final. He dug us out of a hole last season and has played a big part in changing the loser mentality at the club. He clearly hasn't been 100% fit lately but if he is fit for the final he shouldn't be dropped for an untried teenager. If he isn't fully fit then maybe he shouldn't play

Sentimentality is nice but I'd rather we went on 100% form; who is going to turn up on the 26th and play at their very best.

Forster for me.

Hibee87
15-05-2013, 09:32 PM
My team for the final.

Williams (Capt)

Claros Thompson

Doyle Taiwo Harris

Griffiths

No offence but that team set up is minging....not to dissimilar to the first half hour of the semi set up. and lewis at RB is asking for trouble.

maybs at RB, he had samaras in his pocket when we beat them in Dec.

............williams............
mayb mcpake/forster hanlon mcgivern/lewis

haris ....claros.....taiwo......thompson

.......leigh......doyle........

bench:
murdoch
deegan
caldwell
mcgivern/lewis
mcpake/forster - if mcpake totally unfit then spoony or handling, would maybe temp with spoony as he can fit into RB and anywhere in midfield if needed

PerfectlyFranck
15-05-2013, 09:38 PM
More assists this season than any other hibs player and 3rd top scorer(only 3 goals like but still!) can play right across midfield and also right back, good attacking option....needs to be in the cup final squad.

Well argued…. :aok:

That was sarcasm, by the way. I like Wotherspoon, but he has been very poor this season for a large majority of games he has played in.
I would be more concerned if he is included. He has been given chances, tonight being a chance to stand-out and make a case for the final.

Same goes for Cairney, really liked him when he was playing well at the start of the season and he was bafflingly poor when he's made the odd reappearance. You can't select a player based on what they've done 'x' amount on months and games ago despite being very poor between those points.

Stringer
15-05-2013, 09:43 PM
No offence but that team set up is minging....not to dissimilar to the first half hour of the semi set up. and lewis at RB is asking for trouble.

maybs at RB, he had samaras in his pocket when we beat them in Dec.

............williams............
mayb mcpake/forster hanlon mcgivern/lewis

haris ....claros.....taiwo......thompson

.......leigh......doyle........

bench:
murdoch
deegan
caldwell
mcgivern/lewis
mcpake/forster - if mcpake totally unfit then spoony or handling, would maybe temp with spoony as he can fit into RB and anywhere in midfield if needed

4 4 2 is minging mate.

Hibee87
15-05-2013, 09:47 PM
4 4 2 is minging mate.

we'll have to agree to disagree....all im saying is check out the results with playing leigh on his own and then check out the results playing 4-4-2 :wink:

GGTTH07
15-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Williams

forster (yes he can play RB) McPake Hanlon Mcgivern

Boozy Claros Taiwo Thomson

Griffiths Doyle

Murdoch
Maybury
Robertson
Spoony
Handling/Caldwell. Really stuck with bench there!

mentalhibee
15-05-2013, 09:49 PM

That was sarcasm, by the way. I like Wotherspoon, but he has been very poor this season for a large majority of games he has played in.
I would be more concerned if he is included. He has been given chances, tonight being a chance to stand-out and make a case for the final.

Same goes for Cairney, really liked him when he was playing well at the start of the season and he was bafflingly poor when he's made the odd reappearance. You can't select a player based on what they've done 'x' amount on months and games ago despite being very poor between those points.

So who would u pick ahead of wotherspoon for a place on the bench?

lord bunberry
15-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Sentimentality is nice but I'd rather we went on 100% form; who is going to turn up on the 26th and play at their very best.

Forster for me.

Its not jyst sentiment though, were talking about dropping an expirienced defender with international experience for a teenager with 3 games max under his belt. We will need leaders in the final and a fully fit james mcpake is a leader

Stringer
15-05-2013, 09:52 PM
we'll have to agree to disagree....all im saying is check out the results with playing leigh on his own and then check out the results playing 4-4-2 :wink:

We played 4 3 3 in the derby, we only really have played a classic 4 4 2 against Falkirk in the second half.

Billy Whizz
15-05-2013, 09:53 PM
I could be wrong, but I can't see him play Forster if McPake is injured, although he's had a great start to his hibs career. More likely to move McGivern to centre half and Stevenson to left back.
Most of the rest of the team picks itself part from who plays
Upfront with Grifiths, Doyle or Caldwell

bigwheel
15-05-2013, 10:00 PM
I think Maybury might have played himself into the team in recent weeks ....

Billy Whizz
15-05-2013, 10:01 PM

In no particular order, and we can only have 4 outfield subs,
Robertson
Caldwell/Doyle
Forster
Handling
Stevenson

I like Wotherspoon, but I don't think Pat is convinced. If he couldn't get in our side last year, he's less chance this season

Winston Ingram
15-05-2013, 10:05 PM
I'm surprised it's even a debate re McPake. Forster has had a couple of decent games but McPake is our captain and his desire to right the wrongs of last year have never been in doubt

PerfectlyFranck
15-05-2013, 10:05 PM

Assuming the cup final line-up is:

Clancy
McPake
Hanlon
McGivern
Taiwo
Claros
Thomson
Harris
Doyle
Griffiths

Caldwell, Maybury, Stevenson, Deegan, Robertson, Forster and Handling.

You're clearly bias so I can't argue further about his inclusion as it'll never end. I think the majority will agree that he has been poor and doesn't deserve his place after having the chances - as well as the chance to state a claim for a place tonight.

If we're going to waste a place, I'd sooner put Cairney on in the vain hope that he has a flashback to the equaliser he scored against Celtc, suddenly recovering that spark and blasting in the winner.

If Zaliukas was playing, I'd be tempted to choose Wotherspoon as my wasted option. Sadly, Fenlon will select players that deserve to be in the squad.

Up The Bracket
15-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Williams
Maybury Hanlon McGivern Stevenson
Thomson Claros Taiwo
Doyle Harris
Griffiths

Humo
15-05-2013, 10:08 PM
In no particular order, and we can only have 4 outfield subs,
Robertson
Caldwell/Doyle
Forster
Handling
Stevenson

I like Wotherspoon, but I don't think Pat is convinced. If he couldn't get in our side last year, he's less chance this season

No goalie thats risky isnt it

Billy Whizz
15-05-2013, 10:09 PM
No goalie thats risky isnt it

Read the thread, says only 4 outfield players

Humo
15-05-2013, 10:11 PM

Clancy
McPake
Hanlon
McGivern
Taiwo
Claros
Thomson
Harris
Doyle
Griffiths

You're clearly bias so I can't argue further about his inclusion as it'll never end. I think the majority will agree that he has been poor and doesn't deserve his place after having the chances - as well as the chance to state a claim for a place tonight.

If we're going to waste a place, I'd sooner put Cairney on in the vain hope that he has a flashback to the equaliser he scored against Celtc, suddenly recovering that spark and blasting in the winner.

If Zaliukas was playing, I'd maybe tempted to chose Wotherspoon as my wasted option. Sadly, Fenlon will select players that deserve to be in the squad.

You only get 5 subs in the Scottish cup and what is everyones obession wih only having outfield players as subs????

PerfectlyFranck
15-05-2013, 10:12 PM
You only get 5 subs in the Scottish cup and what is everyones obession wih only having outfield players as subs????

Because I'm talking about players that deserve to be ahead of Wotherspoon, not specifically the places and line-up.

The person before specifically stated 'outfield players' too.

Your misunderstanding, not ours! :aok:

EdinMike
15-05-2013, 10:14 PM

Yup people it's 5 Subs. 1 Keeper and 4 outfield players. This is why he missed out last year, and will miss it again this year I reckon.

mentalhibee
15-05-2013, 10:14 PM

Clancy
McPake
Hanlon
McGivern
Taiwo
Claros
Thomson
Harris
Doyle
Griffiths

If Zaliukas was playing, I'd be tempted to choose Wotherspoon as my wasted option. Sadly, Fenlon will select players that deserve to be in the squad.

"Clearly bias" really?? No I would just rather have a player on the bench that could offer us something different in a attacking sense! Having deegan in the bench over spoony....you must be joking!

Humo
15-05-2013, 10:16 PM
IMO I like wootherspoon and I think he deserves a place as although he hasnt consistently performed he has put in some great performances in the past and recently has found his form again (assist in the killie cup tie) (came on in st mirren and looked like he did when he first broke into the team) and by the sounds of it had a decent game today. Where as Cairney had a chance in the semi and looking dire and isnt even getting a shot in our "B team"

Billy Whizz
15-05-2013, 10:21 PM
It will be either Handling or Wotherspoon, and if Pat isn't going to give David a contract extension, there's only one winner

Sir David Gray
15-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Williams

McGivern
Hanlon
McPake/Forster
Maybury

Harris
Thomson
Claros
Taiwo

Doyle
Griffiths

SUBS

Murdoch
Stevenson
Robertson
Handling
Caldwell

The only decision he has to make, in my opinion, is whether or not McPake plays. Since he's the team captain, I think he'll play unless he's seriously struggling with injury but if he does miss out, it will be a huge occasion for Forster.

Baldy Foghorn
15-05-2013, 11:31 PM
It will be either Handling or Wotherspoon, and if Pat isn't going to give David a contract extension, there's only one winner

I said to mates after Tonight's match, that after being left out of last Year's Final, I thought Spoony would be bursting a gut to get into squad this year. I don't think he did enough Tonight to force his way in, and won't be surprised to see him miss out again....

Borderhibbie76
16-05-2013, 06:57 AM
Spoony was woeful last night, didnt look interested, so its a no from me!!

NOLA
16-05-2013, 07:18 AM
Claros,Taiwo,Griffiths,Harris,Maybury,Hanlon,willi ams

Bristolhibby
16-05-2013, 07:30 AM
I think Maybury might have played himself into the team in recent weeks ....

That and Clancy is injured so definitely out.

J

HH81
16-05-2013, 07:31 AM
If Spoony can't make bench then I can't see him been at hibs next season.

I thought we played better football without McPake at the derby as he was not there to hump the ball up field. I still think he will start in the final though.

calumhibee1
16-05-2013, 07:31 AM
Williams

Maybury
Hanlon
McGivern

Claros
Taiwo
Harris
Thomson

Sparky

Stevenson, Forster, McPake, Caldwell, Doyle and Handling all battling it out for the remaining 2 spots.

Hibby Kay-Yay
16-05-2013, 07:40 AM
GK Williams

RB Maybury
CB Forster
CB Hanlon
LB McGivern

RM Harris
CM Claros
CM Taiwo
LM Thomson

ST Griffiths
ST Doyle

Subs - Murdoch, Stevenson, Caldwell, Robertson, McPake

Phil MaGlass
16-05-2013, 07:41 AM
I'm surprised it's even a debate re McPake. Forster has had a couple of decent games but McPake is our captain and his desire to right the wrongs of last year have never been in doubt

If McPake is not 100% fit, then we cant afford passengers. Forster at the moment would be my choice, if youre good enough youre in, he has been good enough until now, whether he has played 2 games or 20. You cant put an unfit McPake in just because he is captain.

Hibby Kay-Yay
16-05-2013, 07:45 AM
If McPake is not 100% fit, then we cant afford passengers. Forster at the moment would be my choice, if youre good enough youre in, he has been good enough until now, whether he has played 2 games or 20. You cant put an unfit McPake in just because he is captain.

Agreed although if fit enough I'd have him on the bench

JimBHibees
16-05-2013, 08:40 AM
My team for the final.

Williams (Capt)

Claros Thompson

Doyle Taiwo Harris

Griffiths

Maybury would be right back IMO. Can only see Lewis being left back or bench? Assuming McGivern would need to play on Saturday to be in with a shout of starting in the final.

spike220
16-05-2013, 08:55 AM
There's a chance that the major surprise could be Forster in for McPake.'

I would not be suprised if he was, I started a thread two weeks ago suggesting McPake is dropped for a bit to give Forster a chance. Needless to say th Hibs net Mafia were laying into me for attacking our captian.

Hibby Kay-Yay
16-05-2013, 09:10 AM
'

I would not be suprised if he was, I started a thread two weeks ago suggesting McPake is dropped for a bit to give Forster a chance. Needless to say th Hibs net Mafia were laying into me for attacking our captian.

"That's great kid, now don't get penisey"

H Solo

lord bunberry
16-05-2013, 09:10 AM

Forster is a complete unknown quantity at this level, it's not fair on mckpake and it's not fair on Forster to be throwing him in to such a big game at this stage of his career. If he was to have a nightmare against some pacy and physical celtic strikers it could really affect his confidence. Hopefully forsters time will come but it's to early for him now imo

marinello59
16-05-2013, 09:11 AM
'

Our very own Cosa Nostra? Superb.:thumbsup:

JimBHibees
16-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Forster is a complete unknown quantity at this level, it's not fair on mckpake and it's not fair on Forster to be throwing him in to such a big game at this stage of his career. If he was to have a nightmare against some pacy and physical celtic strikers it could really affect his confidence. Hopefully forsters time will come but it's to early for him now imo

His performances in the last 2 games have rightly put him into the frame for a start given how poorly our defence had been playing prior to that. We will see who is selected however it will very much depend on McPake's injury whether he is in the frame at all. What we do know now is that in Jordan Forster we have a genuine option for a place in the final 11 and while we may miss JMCP's experience Jordan's athleticism may be an improvement for this game.

sparkiedelpaco7
16-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Williams

Forster -- McPake -- Hanlon -- McGivern

Robertson -- Thomson -- Claros -- Harris

Caldwell -- Griffiths

Murdoch - Stevenson - Taiwo - Doyle - Handling

matty_f
16-05-2013, 09:27 AM
I would go for:

Williams

Maybury
McPake
Hanlon
McGivern

Harris
Taiwo
Claros
Thomson

Doyle
Griffiths

With Doyle going between left wing and second striker as required.

Subs
Murdoch
Stevenson
Caldwell
Forster
Robertson

Bit undecided about the bench, to be fair.

SlickShoes
16-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Williams

Forster -- McPake -- Hanlon -- McGivern

Robertson -- Thomson -- Claros -- Harris

Caldwell -- Griffiths

Murdoch - Stevenson - Taiwo - Doyle - Handling

I don't know how anyone can drop Tom Taiwo he does a ridiculous amount of work in our midfield.

number9dream
16-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Wee Pat said after the game last night that "one or two places" were up for grabs.
Obviously, much will depend on the fitness of McPake and McGivern.
The skipper needs to start on Saturday to be in with a shout. If he gets through it, then he'll play, surely.
Maybury is due a rest after two 90 mins, so maybe Forster will get a run out at full-back against Dundee, if Clancy is crocked.
Think it's certain that Taiwo, Claros and Thomson will start at Hampden but KT is not a natural fit on the left flank.
Problem is that no one else is either. Harris looks better on the right.
Fenlon laps up "little Lewy", so Stevenson must be in with a real chance.
The harsh reality is that Celtic will go into the game with better players in every position bar striker - wouldn't swap super Leigh - so our guys need to have a storming day.

Reckon Pat might go with this:

Williams
Maybury McPake Hanlon McGivern
KT
Harris Claros Taiwo Stevenson
Griffiths

KT can look after Commons if he plays off Hooper and Stevenson can help McGivern handle Forrest.
Major problem would be lack of attacking threat with only LG and Harris getting forward.

NorthNorfolkHFC
16-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Only players guaranteed.

Ben Williams
Paul Hanlon
Kevin Thomson
Alex Harris
Leigh Griffiths

Unsure, but likely.

James McPake
Jorge Claros
Tom Taiwo
Ryan McGivern
Danny Handling
Alan Maybury

Doubtful, long odds.

Scott Robertson
Eoin Doyle
Lewis Stevenson
Tim Clancy
David Worherspoon

Brightside
16-05-2013, 09:43 AM

Agreed 100%. I dont care if he is Capt (and he shouldnt be as he doesnt lead the team on the park). He's not fit. He's been off pace all season. He puts out defence in bother all the time. Fenlon is making all the right noises that Forster will keep he place.

As for Cup Final team.. It should be the team and setup that played against Hearts. Our only chance against Celtic is to take them on.

Brightside
16-05-2013, 09:54 AM

What does "at this level" mean? He's just played against Hearts and Killie and played well. Its Celtic not ****** Bayern Munich we are playing. Celtic are there for they taking, they have a **** defence and a broken midfield. The young boys we have brought in are all cocky enough to not care two *****s about who they are playing. Playing McPake is a bigger risk than playing Forster IMHO.

The Sea-gull
16-05-2013, 09:55 AM

Is McPake out injured just now or just been dropped because of form?

Sir David Gray
16-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Only players guaranteed.

Ben Williams
Paul Hanlon
Kevin Thomson
Alex Harris
Leigh Griffiths

Unsure, but likely.

James McPake
Jorge Claros
Tom Taiwo
Ryan McGivern
Danny Handling
Alan Maybury

Doubtful, long odds.

Scott Robertson
Eoin Doyle
Lewis Stevenson
Tim Clancy
David Worherspoon

Can I ask why you're unsure about Claros?

Surely if he's fit then he's guaranteed a place?

The Sea-gull
16-05-2013, 10:35 AM
My cup final 16 a few weeks ago was:-

Williams, Murdoch, Maybury, Clancy, McGivern, Stevenson, McPake, Hanlon, Taiwo, Claros, Thomson, Harris, Handling, Doyle, Griffiths and Wotherspoon.

Felt then that Cairney and Caldwell would feel a bit dissappointed but no justifable complaints from Robertson, Kuqi, Kujabi, Done and Deegan.

Now I wonder about Wotherspoon and, despite poor form and a shocker in the semi final, the last two games could have seen Robertson play his way into the squad. Also think Caldwell may be starting to edge ahead of Handling not sure if there is room for them both, maybe. Cairney further away from it than ever.

Think Forster may just miss out unless there is an injury. Can't see PF dropping McPake if he is fit.

As things stand, barring injury:-

Certain starters - Williams, Hanlon, McPake McGivern, Thomson, Claros, Harris, Griffiths

Vying for a start - Maybury*, Clancy*, Taiwo, Handling and/or Caldwell, Doyle

Definitely on the bench - Murdoch, Stevenson

Fighting for the remaining place - two from Robertson, Wotherspoon and Handling and/or Caldwell (think at least one of the last two will make it)

* now think only one of Maybury and Clancy will make the squad as Stevenson provides more varied cover.

Robertson v Wotherspoon is a tough one as I though Robertson was totally out of things a couple of weeks ago. Both, when on form, can offer something a bit different. Robertson as an attacking central midfielder and Spoony as someone who can provide a goal threat and assists when on form.

If Spoony showed the form he had at the start of the season then the right midfield in a 4-4-2 would be his and I would go as far to say that we could play this formation really well if he was on top form. Sadly top form does tend to allude him all too often and that is why we have had to change tactics and he is no longer a regular and will probably actually leave the club this summer. that said, I just think he offers a bit more from the bench than Robertson and would maybe be tempted to go with him in the hope that he could come on and perform as we know he can.

Could go for both Robertson and Spoony but that might mean either Caldwell or Handling misses out.

Hibby Kay-Yay
16-05-2013, 10:38 AM
My cup final 16 a few weeks ago was:-

Williams, Murdoch, Maybury, Clancy, McGivern, Stevenson, McPake, Hanlon, Taiwo, Claros, Thomson, Harris, Handling, Doyle, Griffiths and Wotherspoon.

Felt then that Cairney and Caldwell would feel a bit dissappointed but no justifable complaints from Robertson, Kuqi, Kujabi, Done and Deegan.

Now I wonder about Wotherspoon and, despite poor form and a shocker in the semi final, the last two games could have seen Robertson play his way into the squad. Also think Caldwell may be starting to edge ahead of Handling not sure if there is room for them both, maybe. Cairney further away from it than ever.

Think Forster may just miss out unless there is an injury. Can't see PF dropping McPake if he is fit.

As things stand, barring injury:-

Certain starters - Williams, Hanlon, McPake McGivern, Thomson, Claros, Harris, Griffiths

Vying for a start - Maybury*, Clancy*, Taiwo, Handling, Caldwell, Doyle

Definitely on the bench - Murdoch, Stevenson

Fighting for the remaining place - Robertson, Wotherspoon

* now think only one of Maybury and Clancy will make the squad as Stevenson provides more varied cover.

Robertson v Wotherspoon is a tough one as I though Robertson was totally out of things a couple of weeks ago. Both, when on form, can offer something a bit different. Robertson as an attacking central midfielder and Spoony as someone who can provide a goal threat and assists when on form.

If Spoony showed the form he had at the start of the season then the right midfield in a 4-4-2 would be his and I would go as far to say that we could play this formation really well if he was on top form. Sadly top form does tend to allude him all too often and that is why we have had to change tactics and he is no longer a regular and will probably actually leave the club this summer. that said, I just think he offers a bit more from the bench than Robertson and would maybe be tempted to go with him in the hope that he could come on and perform as we know he can.

No Forster?

Humo
16-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Here is my team

Williams
Mcgivern Forster Hanlon Maybury

Handling Claros Taio Harris

Griffiths Caldwell

Subs: Murdoch, Mcpake, Thomson, Doyle, (wootherspoon/clancy/stevenson/roberston -who ever looks least hungover and has been doing well in training and against dundee)

IanM
16-05-2013, 10:50 AM
James James James James James..

what do we do with McPake??.. what a touch decision for PF

At least we have a competition for his place.. he hasn't been good enough recently but my head and heart says if mcPake is 100% fit he gets the nod

McGivern if 100% fit, starts
Hanlon starts
Maybury has been competent the last 2 starts and he actually looks like a right back! starts

If McPake is given the nod, we need a Rob Jones 07 performace from him.

oh god i am so excited! :flag:

The Sea-gull
16-05-2013, 10:52 AM
No Forster?

Don't think so. Can't see a place for him unless someone is out injured. Would be controversial (but perhaps justified) if McPake was dropped from the starting line up but can't see McPake being dropped altogether so he would remain in the squad.

That would mean Forster, McPake, Hanlon, McGivern and possibly even Clancy all in the squad as centre back cover. Up to five men to cover two postions seems a bit of over-kill in a squad that is restricted to 16.

Undecided on whether Forster should miss out but think he will on the above grounds. Not to say he hasn't done well since he has come in and based on his performance on Sunday alone, this is enough to convince me that we can go into the new season with him as one of our 4 centre half options in the squad for the new league season.

lord bunberry
16-05-2013, 11:30 AM
What does "at this level" mean? He's just played against Hearts and Killie and played well. Its Celtic not ****** Bayern Munich we are playing. Celtic are there for they taking, they have a **** defence and a broken midfield. The young boys we have brought in are all cocky enough to not care two *****s about who they are playing. Playing McPake is a bigger risk than playing Forster IMHO.

Do you often find it hard to articulate what you think without swearing :rolleyes:. If you think that playing against Hooper stokes and samaras won't be a step up from playing against ngoo and Sutton your kidding yourself on, I'm not saying the young lad won't cope but if mcpake is fit I think he is the safer option

blackpoolhibs
16-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Do you often find it hard to articulate what you think without swearing :rolleyes:. If you think that playing against Hooper stokes and samaras won't be a step up from playing against ngoo and Sutton your kidding yourself on, I'm not saying the young lad won't cope but if mcpake is fit I think he is the safer option

I disagree, playing the safe option was what got us 0-3 down at half time in the semi, and had folk sick to the back teeth of what we were watching each week.

Suddenly we have a bunch of players, sprinkled with good kids who are fighting for the team, and playing the best football we have witnessed for a good while.

I'd rather we were bold and went after them, we may still lose but **** it at least we said they had a go.

Brightside
16-05-2013, 11:51 AM

Our defense is a shocking when McPake plays. Hanlon spends the whole game covering for him. We end up sitting much deeper as he know he has no pace. That in turn puts pressure on the Goalkeeper. McPake has been a liability for months and needs a long break. Samaras is hopeless, Stokes is hopeless. Hooper i will grant you is a good player. But they dont suddenly becoming better just coz they were hoops. Our attitude to this game shouldnt be "How do we cope with X", it should be "How do we ensure THEY have to cope with US".

lord bunberry
16-05-2013, 11:55 AM
I disagree, playing the safe option was what got us 0-3 down at half time in the semi, and had folk sick to the back teeth of what we were watching each week.

Suddenly we have a bunch of players, sprinkled with good kids who are fighting for the team, and playing the best football we have witnessed for a good while.

I'd rather we were bold and went after them, we may still lose but **** it at least we said they had a go.

McPake wasn't responsible for the first half against Falkirk

blackpoolhibs
16-05-2013, 11:58 AM
McPake wasn't responsible for the first half against Falkirk

He's been poor for a long time, and part of the team who had also been poor. :confused:

lord bunberry
16-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Our defense is a shocking when McPake plays. Hanlon spends the whole game covering for him. We end up sitting much deeper as he know he has no pace. That in turn puts pressure on the Goalkeeper. McPake has been a liability for months and needs a long break. Samaras is hopeless, Stokes is hopeless. Hooper i will grant you is a good player. But they dont suddenly becoming better just coz they were hoops. Our attitude to this game shouldnt be "How do we cope with X", it should be "How do we ensure THEY have to cope with US".

I agree with your point about our attitude towards the game but we can't just go there and expect to have things all our own way. There will times in the game when we are going to be under serious pressure and I'm not sure going in with an inexperienced centre half is the best way forward. This whole argument might well be pointless if mcpake is not fit anyway.

lord bunberry
16-05-2013, 12:06 PM
He's been poor for a long time, and part of the team who had also been poor. :confused:

But he has also shown that when he's fit he can be a huge asset to us. In the game against celtic when we won he was immense, I think this is going to come down to whether mcpake is fit or not, if he's 100% I think he will play

blackpoolhibs
16-05-2013, 12:08 PM
But he has also shown that when he's fit he can be a huge asset to us. In the game against celtic when we won he was immense, I think this is going to come down to whether mcpake is fit or not, if he's 100% I think he will play

I agree, but he's been poor for such a long time i have my doubts he can recapture that form, especially after being out injured?

littleplum
16-05-2013, 12:22 PM
I would go for:

Williams

Maybury
McPake
Hanlon
McGivern

Harris
Taiwo
Claros
Thomson

Doyle
Griffiths

With Doyle going between left wing and second striker as required.

Subs
Murdoch
Stevenson
Caldwell
Forster
Robertson

Bit undecided about the bench, to be fair.

I think we'll see that staring 11 which allows for a flexibility in the formation as pointed out (also Harris and Doyle could swap over if desired).

I don't think we will see Forster on the bench. Harsh, I know, but with only 4 outfield players to pick from Fenlon won't want more than one defensive option. Stevenson will provide that as cover at full back- including if McGivern moves into central defence to cover an injury there- as well as emergency midfield cover. Caldwell and Robertson will be on the bench too given their positions and recent performances which leaves one remaining place, another forward/flair player- most probably Handling or Wotherspoon. It's no more than a hunch but I reckon it will be Spoony- short of form and confidence yes, but someone who is capable of producing something special in a situation in the game that would most probably represent a last throw of the dice.

Cauld Bovril
16-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Williams - No brainer really

Maybury - Well ahead of Clancy on recent form
Hanlon - Certain starter and would be my choice for captain should McPake not play
Forster/McPake - I cannot split these two and don`t envy Pat`s job in having to do so. McPake`s experience may be the deciding factor
McGivern - Tough on Lewis but Ryan sneaks it for me

Thomson - On the left, moving inside if we need to go 4 5 1
Claros - Has the ability to boss this final, another certain starter
Taiwo - A must play for me, has been immense recently and wont give their midfield a minutes peace
Harris - Potential matchwinner and changed the game when he came on last night

Griffiths - Obviously
Handling - Links well with Harris and can shift out to the wing if need be

Subs
Murdoch - Looked solid at Rugby Park, was impressed with his distribution
Stevenson - Can play many positions and done well when moved into midfield last night
Forster/McPake
Doyle - My super-sub. Came off the bench to score SC winner in a dream i had. A couple of decent finishes at Killie but that header :rolleyes:
Wotherspoon/Robertson/Caldwell - I think i`d go for Ross but Robertson might be Pat`s choice. Spoony would be a starter for me if we knew which Spoony was going to turn up. Missing another cup final might just make his mind up about leaving us, if it`s his choice that is

GavinHarris 10
16-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Williams
Maybury
Hanlon
McGivern
McPake/Forster/Stevenson

Harris
Taiwo
Claros
Thomson

Griffiths
Doyle

Subs:
Wotherspoon
Stevenson/McPake/Forster
Robertson
Caldwell
Handling

Someone forgot about Kujabi and Kuqi

JimBHibees
16-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Williams
Maybury
Hanlon
McGivern
McPake/Forster/Stevenson

Harris
Taiwo
Claros
Thomson

Griffiths
Doyle

Subs:
Wotherspoon
Stevenson/McPake/Forster
Robertson
Caldwell
Handling

Someone forgot about Kujabi and Kuqi

There is no way there wont be a keeper on the bench hence Murdock playing last night.

deeks01
16-05-2013, 01:29 PM
I'm happy enough if we have McGivern & Maybury as fullbacks so for me as with a lot of you it's between Forster & McPake and I think it has got to be all riding on McPakes fitness. Much as Forster has been impressive & I doubt the occasion would phase him he still doesn't have the experience McPake does and he'll be dealing with a very dangerous front line. Also if , god forbid , we do go behind I am more confident of a fightback with McPake there.

For some reason i wouldn't be surprised if Robertson forced his way into everyones thoughts with a good game against Dundee. I think the Dundee game will leave everyone clearer as to their favoured XI... Then it's Fenlons call on the 26th. Roll on Hampden.

NorthNorfolkHFC
16-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Can I ask why you're unsure about Claros?

Surely if he's fit then he's guaranteed a place?

I'd like him in. I just don't know if Pat is certain yet.

If he goes 4 in midfield. It's either Taiwo, Claros or Thomson. He can't play all three as they are central midfielders.

He played all three against Hearts because they only had Walker out wide (Harris swapped wings to cover that). Thomson effectively played 15 yards from touch line. If we do the same against Celtic we will get torn for a**e paper.

So, that's why I reckon Claros is still a doubt as unless he plays 5 across the middle it's still up for grabs.

Billy Whizz
16-05-2013, 03:31 PM
After Griffiths and Williams, Claros will be the next name on the team sheet

Billy Whizz
18-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Both Harris over the last few weeks, and Forster this last week, have stepped upto the plate and more. Both don't look out of place, and merit their inclusion in this current Hibs team.
No fears if both start next week

GlenrothesHibee
18-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Both Harris over the last few weeks, and Forster this last week, have stepped upto the plate and more. Both don't look out of place, and merit their inclusion in this current Hibs team.
No fears if both start next week

Agree. Mcpake will struggle to get a starting place on the 26th

...WentToMowAnSPL
18-05-2013, 05:34 PM
H Solo

Unlikely, not played enough for me.... Yoda would do it - right colour for a start

calumhibee1
18-05-2013, 05:41 PM
After another solid performance today I'd say Forster has won himself a place

Williams

Maybury
Forster
Hanlon
McGivern

Harris
Claros
Taiwo
Thomson

Griffiths
And the last forward place I'm still not sure about. I'd edge towards Caldwell, but I could also see an argument for Doyle. Keep thinking back to his performance against Celtic at ER at New Year when he ripped Emilio apart.

Bench:
Murdoch
Stevenson
Spoony
Doyle/Caldwell whatever one doesn't start
Handling

Hermit Crab
18-05-2013, 05:46 PM

Williams

Maybury
Forster
Hanlon
McGivern

Harris
Claros
Taiwo
Thomson

Griffiths
And the last forward place I'm still not sure about. I'd edge towards Caldwell, but I could also see an argument for Doyle. Keep thinking back to his performance against Celtic at ER at New Year when he ripped Emilio apart.

Bench:
Murdoch
Stevenson
Spoony
Handling

Maybury against forest/samaras? Then again who else is there.

Hermit Crab
18-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Forster for mcpake. The lad has earned it. Mcpake has been stinking recently.

LeighLoyal
18-05-2013, 05:50 PM
I thought Spoon staked a late claim. I really hope we keep him at ER because he does have skills and can bag a goal.

Northernhibee
18-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Williams
Maybury Forster Hanlon McGivern
Harris Taiwo Claros Stevenson
Doyle Griffiths

Subs: Murdoch, McPake, Thomson, Robertson, Caldwell

Aldo
18-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Williams
Doyle Griffiths

Subs: Murdoch, McPake, Thomson, Robertson, Caldwell

Swap Thomson for Stevenson and you won't be far off. Lewis on bench.

Only other ? Would be McPake??

wookie70
18-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Williams
Caldwell Griffiths

Subs: Murdoch, Wotherspoon, Thomson, Robertson, Doyle

McPake must take massive credit for his part in the change of attitude at Easter Road but he has been a bombscare at times this year and rarely been his commanding best. Forster has been excellent in the games he has played and looks to have hit the side at the right time. Lewis was good today ahead of McGivern and although KT is a class act I think we need a midfield full of running. Caldwell edges out Doyle for me as he looks like he links well with Harris and also get the occasional flick on. If we are pushed back and forced to play long those flicks could be very important. A risky forward looking bench for me but with Lewis in there you can always use him at fullback and McGivern can play centrally.

mentalhibee

Numpty.....match winner! Got to be in the squad!

Northernhibee
Swap Thomson for Stevenson and you won't be far off. Lewis on bench.

Only other ? Would be McPake??

I think we have to be looking entirely on form. McPake's been out for a bit and won't be match fit.

Leaving any two out of Caldwell, Doyle, Thomson, Claros, Taiwo or Stevenson will be so, so hard to do. I don't fancy Pat's job.

It's been really heartening to know that so many players have shown how much a starting place in the final would mean to them. Absolutely mega.

Col2
18-05-2013, 07:40 PM
I think Pat has 3 decisions to make, one of which is marginal.

Williams - 100%

Maybury - 100%
Forster/Mcpake (I think Forster)
Hanlon - 100%
Mcgivern - 100%

Harris - 100%
Taiwo - 100%
Claros - 100%
Thomson/Stevenson (I think Thomson)

Doyle/Caldwell (I think Doyle but marginal)
Griffiths - 100%

I am fairly certain fitness and experience will win the day. Therefore I think McPake will be too much of a risk, Thomson experience at this level and occasion be key and Doyle experience in semi and the danger Caldwell could freeze will decide it.

The bench will be cutthroat as you could argue we don't need a CH if Mcgivern plays as he can cover. I would say:-

Murdoch - 100%
Stevenson - 100%
Caldwell - 100% (if my prediction on Doyle is right)
Robertson - 100%
McPake or Spoony (I think he may go for Spoony)

clerriehibs
18-05-2013, 07:47 PM

Williams

Maybury
Forster
Hanlon
McGivern

Harris
Claros
Taiwo
Thomson

Griffiths

Bench:
Murdoch
Stevenson
Spoony
Handling

Agreed :agree: with the starters - but I will name Caldwell.

millarco
18-05-2013, 07:47 PM
I think we'll go with the following:

Williams
Maybury
McPake
Hanlon
McGivern
Harris
Taiwo
Claros
Thomson
Stevenson
Griffiths

Bench: Murdoch, Forster, Wotherspoon, Doyle, Caldwell

If it were me I'd take in Forster and Doyle for McPake and Stevenson.

hibee_girl
18-05-2013, 07:48 PM
I'd go with the starting 11 that started today though I'd swap Doyle for Caldwell.

JimBHibees
18-05-2013, 07:51 PM
I think the team will be:

Williams

Clancy if not fit Maybury
Forster
Hanlon
McGivern

Doyle
Claros
Taiwo
Thomson
Harris

Griffiths

Subs
Murdock
Caldwell
Stevenson
Robertson
Maybury

calumhibee1
18-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Maybury against forest/samaras? Then again who else is there.

He is the only option, however, credit where it's due, he has been very good the last few weeks

JimBHibees
18-05-2013, 07:53 PM
He is the only option, however, credit where it's due, he has been very good the last few weeks

PF said Clancy was back training whether that is the case is another matter however he still has a week to get up to speed.

alan1875
18-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Was Thomson injured or just rested today?

Greenheart
18-05-2013, 07:54 PM
I personally could not care who is playing as long as they
give 100% and we beat the soap dodgers. I have been at every cup final since 1972 need 16 players that will give there all if they do we can win it. GGTTH

West hamBERNIAN
18-05-2013, 07:55 PM
i think pat has 3 decisions to make, one of which is marginal.

Williams - 100%

maybury - 100%
forster/mcpake (i think forster)
hanlon - 100%
mcgivern - 100%

harris - 100%
taiwo - 100%
claros - 100%
thomson/stevenson (i think thomson)

doyle/caldwell (i think doyle but marginal)
griffiths - 100%

i am fairly certain fitness and experience will win the day. Therefore i think mcpake will be too much of a risk, thomson experience at this level and occasion be key and doyle experience in semi and the danger caldwell could freeze will decide it.

The bench will be cutthroat as you could argue we don't need a ch if mcgivern plays as he can cover. I would say:-

murdoch - 100%
stevenson - 100%
caldwell - 100% (if my prediction on doyle is right)
robertson - 100%
mcpake or spoony (i think he may go for spoony)

i agree with the defence, didn't think it was possible but maybury actually deserves it by merit imo he's been really good. I'd play mcpake if he was to be 100% fit though forster has been excellent.
Midfeild: I think we'll be a five man midfield. Claros taiwo thomson if fit ls and harris and leigh on his own up top. Heard from a good source fenlon promised spoony he wouldnt leave him out for it again last year. Dont think doyle will be there.

Greenheart
18-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Was Thomson injured or just rested today?

Rested according to Pat

JimBHibees
18-05-2013, 08:01 PM
i agree with the defence, didn't think it was possible but maybury actually deserves it by merit imo he's been really good. I'd play mcpake if he was to be 100% fit though forster has been excellent.
Midfeild: I think we'll be a five man midfield. Claros taiwo thomson if fit ls and harris and leigh on his own up top. Heard from a good source fenlon promised spoony he wouldnt leave him out for it again last year. Dont think doyle will be there.

I would be amazed if any manager promised a player that.

TornadoHibby
18-05-2013, 08:03 PM
I think Pats got some really tough calls to make.

Williams obviously to start in goal, defence may depend on the fitness of Clancy and McPake (presuming McGivern will be fit now).

I have to say even if both are fit I think Maybury and Forster must have a great chance of getting a start. As much as I still have confidence in McPake to rediscover his form, I think Forster deserves to keep his place. Also think a bit more pace at the back is a plus for us as McPake is quite slow and will be up against some of the most agile attackers in the league.

Midfield for me must be Harris, Claros, Taiwo and Thomson.

Leigh obviously to start and again, a really difficult choice between Doyle and Caldwell. Doyle shades it for me due to his experience and overall contribution off the ball. As much as I've been impressed by Caldwell's finishing I still think Doyle does a huge amount for the team and could play as part of a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1 and do either job well.

Bench would be something like Murdoch, Stevenson, Robertson, Wotherspoon, Caldwell/Doyle.

Great to finally feel like we have some good options.

With the exception that I'd play Caldwell rather than Doyle as the lad puts in fantastic effort but proved in the Derby with his winner that he has the skill and composure to win big matches in pressure situations!

I think that with a decent bit of luck, and 100% effort and commitment from the players playing to the right tactical plan, this might just be a good day coming up for Hibs!!

Can't wait!!

Hiber-nation
18-05-2013, 08:06 PM

Nah, doesn't work that way. Should have just earned a place on the bench after today though. Doyle will definitely be in the squad.

n11tho
18-05-2013, 08:10 PM
think the keeper at half time deserves a place in the squad:wink:

Viva_Palmeiras
18-05-2013, 08:12 PM
In front of us the future, behind us the past. In between is David Wotherspoon ;)

Hibeesmad
18-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Williams

Maybury
McPake
Hanlon
McGivern

Harris
Claros
Thomson
Taiwo
Wotherspoon

Griffiths

Bench:
Murdoch
Stevenson
Clancy
Caldwell
Doyle

West hamBERNIAN
18-05-2013, 08:26 PM
nah, doesn't work that way. Should have just earned a place on the bench after today though. Doyle will definitely be in the squad.

its definitely a good source and hes definitely not signed any pre contract.

Maybe something you'd say to a player when you've dropped them for the biggest game of there career granted.

frazeHFC
18-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Williams

Maybury
Forster
Hanlon
Stevenson

Harris
Claros
Taiwo
Thomson

Griffiths
Caldwell

Golden Bear
18-05-2013, 08:57 PM
A player's ability to best handle the big occasion will also come into the equation. Last season I remember seeing the team bus 5 mins away from Hampden prior to last year's final and with the exception of Griffiths the players looked like petrified rabbits caught in the headlights. Let's hope lessons have been learnt and this year's preparation will have addressed any confidence issues.

Golden Bear
18-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Williams

Maybury
Forster
Hanlon
Stevenson

Harris
Claros
Taiwo
Thomson

Griffiths
Caldwell

That's the team I'd go with.

Northernhibee
18-05-2013, 09:17 PM
It's genuinely pleasing that we can name so many variations on the team and each is just as valid a choice as the last.

Last year we struggled to name eleven players you would want to represent the team. This year we're struggling to leave people out.

trev the hat
18-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Williams

Maybury
Hanlon
Forster
McGivern

Thomson
Taiwo
Claros
Harris

Griffiths
Doyle

Subs-

Murdoch
McPake
Stevenson
Wotherspoon
Caldwell

ShadesLongThrow
18-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Williams

Maybury
Hanlon
Forster
McGivern

Thomson
Taiwo
Claros
Harris

Griffiths
Doyle

Subs-

Murdoch
McPake
Stevenson
Wotherspoon
Caldwell

That's the one for me. Bit tough on Stevenson but his nosebleeds when he sees the goals frustrates me so much. Had a great chance to score today but panicked and blazed it wide when a level head like Thomson would have been better.

GreenOnions
18-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Williams

Maybury
Hanlon
Forster
McGivern

Thomson
Taiwo
Claros
Harris

Griffiths
Doyle

Subs-

Murdoch
McPake
Stevenson
Wotherspoon
Caldwell

Yep - for me that's pretty much it. The only debate is whether it's Doyle, Caldwell or Wotherspoon. I'd also have Robertson on the bench. I think he will do well for us and offers more of a goal threat that the central three midfielders in the starting 11 if we need to make a change. Difficult as to who should make way for him but probably have to be one of Caldwell, Wotherspoon or Doyle.

Stringer
18-05-2013, 10:11 PM
After today's performance and likely injuries. I would go with this.

Williams

Taiwo Thomson

Handling Wotherspoon Harris

Griffiths

What Pat will play

Williams

Clancy Forster Hanlon McGivern

Harris Claros Taiwo Thompson

Doyle Griffiths

CallumLaidlaw
18-05-2013, 10:16 PM
GK Williams

RB Maybury
CB Forster
CB Hanlon
LB McGivern

RM Harris
CM Claros
CM Taiwo
LM Thomson

ST Griffiths
ST Doyle

Subs - Murdoch, Stevenson, Caldwell, Robertson, McPake

That would be my choice. If PF thought McPake was 100% fit and looking sharp in training, then maybe him instead of Forster, as I worry that a lad that's had 3 first team games may get a bit nervous of the big occasion, but if McPake is even 1% short, then we CAN'T play him.

Mac
18-05-2013, 10:17 PM

For me:

Starting
Ben Williams
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Alex Harris
Jorge Claros
Tom Taiwo
Leigh Griffiths
Ryan McGivern

Bench or start
Scott Robertson
Jordan Forster
Alan Maybury
Kevin Thomson
Ross Caldwell
Eoin Doyle
Danny Handling

James McPake
Gary Deegan
David Wotherspoon
Sean Murdoch
Paul Grant
Matt Done

Pretty accurate but do have a wee inclining for Doyle and Griffiths as the front 2, only for experience and previous showings from Doyle against Celtic, so he would be in my starting 11

ronaldo7
18-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Williams

Maybury
Hanlon
Forster
McGivern

Thomson
Taiwo
Claros
Harris

Griffiths
Doyle

Subs-

Murdoch
Robertson
Stevenson
Wotherspoon
Caldwell

Speedy
18-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Yep - for me that's pretty much it. The only debate is whether it's Doyle, Caldwell or Wotherspoon. I'd also have Robertson on the bench. I think he will do well for us and offers more of a goal threat that the central three midfielders in the starting 11 if we need to make a change. Difficult as to who should make way for him but probably have to be one of Caldwell, Wotherspoon or Doyle.

Don't need McPake on the bench. We're not going to change a CB unless it's for injury and if it comes to that McGivern can play there.

Sir David Gray
18-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Williams

McGivern
Hanlon
McPake/Forster
Maybury

Harris
Thomson
Claros
Taiwo

Doyle
Griffiths

SUBS

Murdoch
Stevenson
Robertson
Handling
Caldwell

The only decision he has to make, in my opinion, is whether or not McPake plays. Since he's the team captain, I think he'll play unless he's seriously struggling with injury but if he does miss out, it will be a huge occasion for Forster.

Decision's made.

Forster has to start next week.

Rest of the team stays the same.

trev the hat
18-05-2013, 11:10 PM
Don't need McPake on the bench. We're not going to change a CB unless it's for injury and if it comes to that McGivern can play there.

Not convinced, can't see a bench with a GK 2 midfielders & 2 forwards
IF we win McPake will lift the trophy no question IMO

Sir David Gray
18-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Not convinced, can't see a bench with a GK 2 midfielders & 2 forwards
IF we win McPake will lift the trophy no question IMO

He could still lift the trophy, even if he's not included as part of the 16.

John Terry lifted the Europa League trophy the other night for Chelsea and he wasn't part of the squad.

CallumLaidlaw
18-05-2013, 11:22 PM
He could still lift the trophy, even if he's not included as part of the 16.

John Terry lifted the Europa League trophy the other night for Chelsea and he wasn't part of the squad.

John Terry is the exception to the rule. He loves a wee celebration :greengrin

Onceinawhile
19-05-2013, 01:09 AM
Williams

Maybury
Mcpake/forster
Hanlon
Mcgivern

Harris
Thomson
Taiwo
Claros
Stevenson

Sparky

Murdoch
Doyle
Forster/Mcpake
Robertson
Spoon

Is how I think we will line up.

19-05-2013, 06:13 AM
Some very big decisions for Fenlon this week, praying he gets it right.

MontrealHibs
19-05-2013, 07:09 AM
I think we saw the cup final team against Dundee. Only possble changes are McPake back in if fit and Thomson for Stevenson. Albeit Stevensons work rate is much better than Thommo, he doesnt have the same ability.

19-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Williams

Maybury
Forster
Hanlon
Stevenson

Harris
Claros
Taiwo
Thomson

Griffiths
Caldwell

:agree:

ruthven_raiders
19-05-2013, 07:49 AM
Has to be the same team as yesterday minus Stevenson, Thomson coming into midfield. So leaves Murdoch Stevenson Wotherspoon handling Doyle on the bench. Shame for McPake.

Broken Gnome
19-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Surprised so many have us playing with two up front. I'd have thought we'd be far cagier with five in midfield, with Harris and probably Doyle wide.

Robertson would likely make the bench too, can't see Handling.making it.

Baldy Foghorn
19-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Surprised so many have us playing with two up front. I'd have thought we'd be far cagier with five in midfield, with Harris and probably Doyle wide.

Robertson would likely make the bench too, can't see Handling.making it.

I want us to play 2 up front, and take the game to Celtc, everyone getting in their faces, giving them no time at all on the ball......We need everyone to be at their best, and we have a great chance if we do that......

Broken Gnome
19-05-2013, 09:47 AM
I want us to play 2 up front, and take the game to Celtc, everyone getting in their faces, giving them no time at all on the ball......We need everyone to be at their best, and we have a great chance if we do that......

I think I'm the same. But we risk being really stretched that way if Celtic play well.

Plus we've taken 4 points off them with 451.

NorthNorfolkHFC
19-05-2013, 09:48 AM
That's the team I'd go with.

We'd get hammered. Who plays wide left assuming Harris is wide right?

We need runners in the team.

J-C
19-05-2013, 09:51 AM

Remember only 5 subs for cup games though

Billy Whizz
19-05-2013, 09:59 AM
We'd get hammered. Who plays wide left assuming Harris is wide right?

We need runners in the team.

Thomson played there against Hearts and did a fine job. A lot will depend how Pat thinks Celtic will line up, although we can't get be negative, we need to be aware. If they play Samaras on Maybury, we need to make sure that he's covered by someone like Taiwo, so Harris may play left. Could be a bit of a tactical battle, and I don't care he he goes 442 or 451, as long as we win. We played them on 6th April at Parkhead and we lost 3-0, going on 5 or 6, although we have improved dramatically since then, and they have Wanyama out, mulgrew doubtful.
Team on 6th April
Williams, Clancy, McGivern, Hanlon, McPake, Deegan (Stevenson 74'), Claros, Griffiths, Wotherspoon (Cairney 59'), Harris, Thomson (Robertson 64'). Substitutes not used: Murdoch, Doyle, Handling, Forster.

Baldy Foghorn
19-05-2013, 10:13 AM
I think I'm the same. But we risk being really stretched that way if Celtic play well.

Plus we've taken 4 points off them with 451.

At Parkhead in April we never managed a shot at goal, we can't afford to let them dictate the play and invite them on....I would rather be more gung ho.....

Billy Whizz
19-05-2013, 10:23 AM
At Parkhead in April we never managed a shot at goal, we can't afford to let them dictate the play and invite them on....I would rather be more gung ho.....

In Baldy we trust.
You're probably right, is rather go down with a fight, just want to make sure that were still in the game around 70 mins. We've won our last 2 games with late goals

lumbo_hfc
19-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Williams

Maybury (although not confident with him up against a pacy samaras on a big open pitch)
McGivern (solid enough)
McPake (if fully fit, has to play, maybe off the boil a bit recently but a great leader and a big game player and it doesn't get much bigger than this! Happy enough for forster to play if james is not fit)
Hanlon (improved so much this season and first choice centre half now)

Harris (keep giving him the ball, potential match winner)
Thomson (still a class act, needs to get in celtics faces from the start along with TT and JC)
Claros (class act this season, hopefully one more big performance)
Taiwo (one of our best players in the last 3-4 months, definite starter for me, never stops running)
Doyle (starting off playing from the right with harris on the left, both supporting LG. could easily be moved central if we find ourselves behind without making a sub)

Griffiths (if he is in top form and firing, we have a great chance)

Subs
Murdoch
Stevenson
Wotherspoon
Robertonson
Caldwell

That would be my team for the final, got a funny feeling that he may start either Roberton or Stevenson in place of Doyle.

Jones28
19-05-2013, 10:39 AM
The team that beat hearts should start IMO

jdships
19-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Williams

Maybury
Forster
Hanlon
Stevenson

Harris
Claros
Taiwo
Thomson

Griffiths
Caldwell

That's as good a team selection as it gets for me
McPake doesn't deserve to oust the young lad and Hanlon looks a far better player with a new partner

:flag:

Leighonel
20-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Forster has surely earned his place at the expense of an unfit McPake. The next decision for pat to make is whether to play Caldwell, Handling or Doyle. Personally I would go with Doyle after his performance when we beat them 1-0, he worked his socks off getting forward and getting back to help Clancy, and later in the game maybury.

Williams (no contest)

Maybury (has enough experience to deal with the occasion but samaras is just a wee bit faster than him)
Forster (he has been calm and composed every time he has played)
Hanlon
McGivern (he needs to concentrate for the whole game, he has a tendency to think he has time before realising the opposition has taken the ball off of him)

Taiwo (always liked him but he has improved recently, he won't give the celtic midfield any time)
Claros (classy guy)
Thomson (classy guy)

Doyle
Leighonel Griffiths (just brilliant)
Harris (strong on both feet, unbelievable turn of pace and he can shoot.)

Subs
Murdoch
Stevenson
Mcpake/Clancy (whoever is fitter)
Spoony/Robertson
Caldwell/Handling

Stevie Reid
20-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Have just arrived on this thread so apologies if anyone has already suggested this, but does anyone think that Taiwo man marking Brown is worth a shout? Taiwo's game is perfect for such a role, not to mention his attitude and most importantly, temperament - Brown makes them tick when he's fit and on form, and is a wind up merchant who can get wound up himself. Could be interesting if Taiwo is snapping at his heels for the duration.