PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian Under 20's

Billy
14-05-2013, 08:06 PM
With Dundee United losing to St Mirren 4-0 tonight, this result confirms that James McDonaugh's Under 20 side have managed a 3rd place finish from a league of 15 sides.

Fantastic placing for the team which has played some fantastic football throughout the season and only lost 8 of their 28 matches, scoring 57 goals and ending with a +21 goal difference.

Well done to James and all the lads :flag:

Baldy Foghorn
14-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Great achievement, hopefully see more of these guys progress into the first team, in due course....

Treadstone
14-05-2013, 08:30 PM
A fine finish to the season in terms of results and progression to the first team.

Tynie01011973
14-05-2013, 08:48 PM
http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=s60

Hertz Youth Academy is certainly producing some of the best talent in the country I see

:greengrin

Mikey
14-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Well done to them. Hopefully they'll be pushing for a first team place soon.

Pretty Boy
14-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Seeing the emergence of Harris, Caldwell, Handling and now Forster must be a huge incentive for these guys to push on even more.

Treadstone
14-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Seeing the emergence of Harris, Caldwell, Handling and now Forster must be a huge incentive for these guys to push on even more.

How easy would it have been to shuffle things and not play Forster ? The incentive for young players is obvious do the business in the u20s and you'll get your chance.

Great stuff.

HibernianJK
14-05-2013, 09:09 PM
How easy would it have been to shuffle things and not play Forster ? The incentive for young players is obvious do the business in the u20s and you'll get your chance.

Great stuff.

Don't know who else could have played centre half with Mcgivern and Clancy also out.

BEEJ
15-05-2013, 08:13 AM
With Dundee United losing to St Mirren 4-0 tonight, this result confirms that James McDonaugh's Under 20 side have managed a 3rd place finish from a league of 15 sides.

Fantastic placing for the team which has played some fantastic football throughout the season and only lost 8 of their 28 matches, scoring 57 goals and ending with a +21 goal difference.

Well done to James and all the lads :flag:
:agree: I'll second that. :aok:

2012/13 has been a great league campaign for the U-20 lads and their coaching team. Well done to all concerned.

:flag:

KWJ
15-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Is the lad Donaldson not a centre half? He's been on the bench plenty this season, thought that'd have indicated he was ahead of Forster.

Bobo
15-05-2013, 09:45 AM

We also have the return of Sam Stanton after his loan period, hopefully he's another who can kick on and bring something to the first team squad next season.

Not sure what's happening with Scott Smith, he was another promising young laddy?

oconnors_strip
15-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Is the lad Donaldson not a centre half? He's been on the bench plenty this season, thought that'd have indicated he was ahead of Forster.

Donaldson is a centre half but also can play right back. He got a bad knee injury about 3 months back and last Tuesday was his first 90mins back, so he wasn't fully ready for a first team debut. He will soon though! He has worked hard this season and his injury was a big blow.

oconnors_strip
15-05-2013, 09:47 AM
We also have the return of Sam Stanton after his loan period, hopefully he's another who can kick on and bring something to the first team squad next season.

Not sure what's happening with Scott Smith, he was another promising young laddy?

I've heard from a Dumbarton source he isn't getting his contract renewed

Bobo
15-05-2013, 09:49 AM

That's a pity, he's always looked useful the times I've watched him play.

truehibernian
15-05-2013, 09:51 AM

Have to say Nikki that I thought Smith might struggle to work his way back into plans - especially after seeing young Baptie. He's a class act in my opinion. Has a composure about him and a temperament you can't really coach into someone - it's so natural to his game.

davcar
15-05-2013, 09:53 AM
If I recollect correctly the average age of Hibs U20's is an astonishing 18 so many of these lads still have a little time to improve further in that squad, while pushing the 1st team squad! It's been a massive credit to James McDonaugh, the lads themselves and our coaches including Alan Maybury, that they have achieved this. Congratulations to them all!

GGTTH

Billy Whizz
15-05-2013, 10:02 AM
If I recollect correctly the average age of Hibs U20's is an astonishing 18 so many of these lads still have a little time to improve further in that squad, while pushing the 1st team squad! It's been a massive credit to James McDonaugh, the lads themselves and our coaches including Alan Maybury, that they have achieved this. Congratulations to them all!

GGTTH

Is there a chance Maybury maybe offered a part-time coaching role next season?

BEEJ
15-05-2013, 01:00 PM

And right there, if true, would be my first disappointment on the young player summer window recruitment / contract renewal efforts. Smith is a great player with natural on-field leadership skills who reads and anticipates the game with a maturity that belies his age.

However, as discussed on other threads, there will be a lot of competition for him and the likes of Booth from the newly emerging even younger talent such as Harris and Forster.

And amidst all the discussion on these Boards of late of the many young academy 'graduates', I have seen little or no mention of Harry Monaghan (whom, I believe, we loaned out to Annan Athletic for all this season) or Euan Smith (who went on loan to Arbroath FC in January 2013 until very recently).

Hibernian Verse
15-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Also good to see Aberdeen pushing Celtic.

oconnors_strip
15-05-2013, 03:04 PM
And right there, if true, would be my first disappointment on the young player summer window recruitment / contract renewal efforts. Smith is a great player with natural on-field leadership skills who reads and anticipates the game with a maturity that belies his age.

However, as discussed on other threads, there will be a lot of competition for him and the likes of Booth from the newly emerging even younger talent such as Harris and Forster.

And amidst all the discussion on these Boards of late of the many young academy 'graduates', I have seen little or no mention of Harry Monaghan (whom, I believe, we loaned out to Annan Athletic for all this season) or Euan Smith (who went on loan to Arbroath FC in January 2013 until very recently).

harry monaghan had a great loan spell at annan but has sadly been told he isnt getting a new contract, euan smith has scored 1, maybe 2 goals on loan and is still under contract and eligible for under 20s next season.

BEEJ
15-05-2013, 06:34 PM
harry monaghan had a great loan spell at annan but has sadly been told he isnt getting a new contract, euan smith has scored 1, maybe 2 goals on loan and is still under contract and eligible for under 20s next season.
Thanks, Nikki. :aok:

We'll see where Euan has progressed to by this time next year, then. :cb