PDA

View Full Version : Any Hibbies who changed to Jambos?

SkintHibby
13-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Just read this article and never realised Benny was a Jambo growing up...

http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/magazine/224789-ex-hibs-defender-thinks-current-side-can-cause-scottish-cup-upset/

Like Gordon Rae, he switched allegiance when he played for the cabbage.

I can't think of one Hibby who played for the Jambos and turned to the dark side. Robbo defo does not count as he was never a Hibby.:confused:

clerriehibs
13-05-2013, 07:08 PM

http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/magazine/224789-ex-hibs-defender-thinks-current-side-can-cause-scottish-cup-upset/

I can't think of one Hibby who played for the Jambos and turned to the dark side. Robbo defo does not count as he was never a Hibby.:confused:

Was he not?

Seveno
13-05-2013, 07:10 PM
A friend of mine, Bobby Stevenson, told me about this Hibby called Henry Jekyll that turned into a particularly unsavoury Jambo.

hibby rae
13-05-2013, 07:51 PM

Lee Wallace?

Sean1875
13-05-2013, 07:53 PM
There's definitely a few players in the U20's who are/used to be Jambos. Dont quite know how they'll see it now mind you :agree:

Dashing Bob S
13-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Have to confess to being a bit of a glory hunter. As soon as Hearts built that state-of-the-art new stand, signed those world cup stars, and won the CL, I just completely jumped ship. Yes, it's frivilous, I know, but some of us are just absolute suckers for the high life.

#FromTheCapital
13-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Lee Wallace?

Yes, Lee was a season ticket holder at Easter Road until he started playing for h****s.

#FromTheCapital
13-05-2013, 08:04 PM
I know the thread is about players but I also know a guy who was a hibee and converted to a jambo when he was about 19 years old after they pumped us 5-1 at Tynecastle in 2002. What a fudd, nice enough guy but obviously very easily influenced. Pisses me off as he is a proper hearts fud these days giving it the 1902, big team etc etc. on twitter.

Frazerbob
13-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Steven Whitaker was Jambo was he not?

hibby rae
13-05-2013, 08:08 PM

I believe so.

Billy Whizz
13-05-2013, 08:09 PM

He was, but I thought the thread was Hibbees changed to Jambos

half.time.draw.
13-05-2013, 08:15 PM
I know Steven and he loves Hibs he was born a jambo though..
Also Gordon Rae is Hibs to the core.

Diclonius
13-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Commentator mentioned Jordon Forster being from Gorgie but "definitely not" a Jambo.. He switched his alleigance as well?

Delboy4
13-05-2013, 10:38 PM
When I was wee boy about 6 or 7 years old my mates dad who was a jambo tried to convert me to the ****, when I went home and told my dad, he chucked me out the house and told me not to come back until I was green again!!! Haha. No way, you change your allegiance, just never!!
The other thing, it was 1972/73 and we were a team and they were crap, so my mates auld man had nae chance.
GGTTH forever

:flag::flag::flag:

Hibercelona
13-05-2013, 10:54 PM

Robbo was a hibby, he was even a season ticket holder as a kid.

I don't think he's a die in the wool jambo now though. Certainly not as much as Hearts fans like to kid on.

EdinMike
13-05-2013, 11:08 PM
I went to school and Hibs games with a guy, Season ticket holder for years and has/had a Hibs tattoo on his Ankle. Now a full blown deluded Jambo. Switched when they won the Scottish cup in 2006.

Makes me ill thinking about is !

Bristolhibby
13-05-2013, 11:12 PM
I went to school and Hibs games with a guy, Season ticket holder for years and has/had a Hibs tattoo on his Ankle. Now a full blown deluded Jambo. Switched when they won the Scottish cup in 2006.

Makes me ill thinking about is !

That's unbelievable.

Seriously cannot trust someone who does that.

As is said, you can change your friends, even leave your wife and family for another woman, but you can NEVER change your team.

J

Green Cabbage 7
13-05-2013, 11:43 PM

I don't think he's a die in the wool jambo now though. Certainly not as much as Hearts fans like to kid on.

Thats true played football with his nephew and was assured he was a hibby, George his brother used to take him to the hibs games! However you got to hear it from the donkeys mouth to be sure all second hand info I suppose

SkintHibby
14-05-2013, 04:06 AM
Lee Wallace?

Lee Wallace is still a Hibby.

HIBERNIAN-0762
14-05-2013, 06:26 AM
Gordon Smith

Father Ted
14-05-2013, 07:30 AM
You can change you car, your house, your friends even your wife but changing to any team from Hibernian is an unforgivable crime.

SaulGoodman
14-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Unrelated but my bird was a Jambo, until I worked my magic.. And is now a season ticket holder for Hibs next season :wink:

oramhibee
14-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Paul Hartley and Craig pedophile Thomson.

JHFC
14-05-2013, 08:32 AM
I know two brothers who used to be a jambos and are now a die hard hibs fans. They went to every game home and away except one last season and has been to all home games and majority of away games this season. They hates the yams and loves the cabbage! They are both walk ups and are struggling to get a final ticket which is a shame.

Vini1875
14-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Paul Hartley and Craig pedophile Thomson.

Paul hartley is a celtc fan.

HFC07
14-05-2013, 09:05 AM
When I was younger my older cousin tried to convert me.
Even during a family get together he tried to blurt out that I was now a jambo and with everybody turning their attention to me and being as young as I was I still bit back with
No chance I am and will always be a hibby.....

:flag: I would never change allegiance

GavinHarris 10
14-05-2013, 09:32 AM
Kind of unrelated but my dad was a rangers fan until he was 10. Hibs since then.

superfurryhibby
14-05-2013, 09:44 AM
When I was around 5 or 6 I swapped my Hibs top for that Jambo one that looked a bit like Ajax, the maroon band down the middle. Seem to recall my feet barely touched the ground as my auld man marched round to the other laddies hoose and the exchange was de-exchanged.

Wonder about Ralph Callaghan, he started out with Hearts, joined Newcastle and then provided a good few years service at Hibs. I remember playing for an amateur team and one of his family was involved in the committee. He said Ralph had been Jambo when young, but added that he had been born again whilst playing for Hibs.

EdiT: Ralph Callaghan, he's a a Jambo who became a Hibee.

HIBERNIAN-0762
14-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Peter Cormack, Peter Marinello

14-05-2013, 09:58 AM
The laddie Dale Carrick who plays for hearts i'm sure used to be a hibee but not anymore.

Keith_M
14-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Is this a question purely about players?

If not, I know a guy that was a Hibby at Primary School and switched to being a Yam when he started High School. He changed because all his mates were Yams. Strange, as this was in 1978 and they were REALLY cr*p at the time.

Not a Yam story, but I used to work with a guy that was a Hibby until he was about 14 then changed to the lesser greens.

FWIW, I've managed to convert quite a few people to supporting Hibs. My biggest achievement was two previously Rangers supporting mates, one of whom's family were all Orange Lodge members.

Boy were his family not best pleased with me :greengrin

Hibrandenburg
14-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Any Hibby that changed to being a Jambo hasn't understood what it is to be a Hibby and thus was never one in the first place.

Hibrandenburg
14-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Is this a question purely about players?

If not, I know a guy that was a Hibby at Primary School and switched to being a Yam when he started High School. He changed because all his mates were Yams. Strange, as this was in 1978 and they were REALLY cr*p at the time.

Not a Yam story, but I used to work with a guy that was a Hibby until he was about 14 then changed to the lesser greens.

FWIW, I've managed to convert quite a few people to supporting Hibs. My biggest achievement was two previously Rangers supporting mates, one of whom's family were all Orange Lodge members.

Boy were his family not best pleased with me :greengrin

Name and shame Keith!

Knew one from our home town who became a mope but he was always a tube anyway.

14-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Any Hibby that changed to being a Jambo hasn't understood what it is to be a Hibby and thus was never one in the first place.

:agree:

I had a mate that comes from a big hibs supporting family but switched to hearts then back to hibs again. Think he also spent a year or something supporting the huns aswell. Very odd laddie.

Fife-Hibee
14-05-2013, 10:15 AM

Dont know about that ! His drunkin puss was tripping him when i saw him outside tincastle on sunday night ! haw haw haw

GGTTH07
14-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Robertson obviously is a hearts man but he really doesn't mind hibs at all. So his cousin says anyway!
Anyway, when they beat us 4-0 I was just a youngster in primary and all my pals were trying to make me change. I obviously rejected. Even at 8 I knew how minging they all are!

14-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Robertson obviously is a hearts man but he really doesn't mind hibs at all. So his cousin says anyway!
Anyway, when they beat us 4-0 I was just a youngster in primary and all my pals were trying to make me change. I obviously rejected. Even at 8 I knew how minging they all are!

Robertons youngest son is a big hibee

superfurryhibby
14-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Peter Cormack, Peter Marinello

I remember Marinello playing for them, but not aware of any connection with Peter Cormack?

Keith_M
14-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Name and shame Keith!

Knew one from our home town who became a mope but he was always a tube anyway.

The Hearts guy you don't know, he was from Pinkie, but I think you knew D. Bourhill (?). He was the Lesser Green changee.

EDIT: After he changed, his family became famous (notorious?) for having four brothers supporting, in order of age: Hearts, Hibs, Rangers, Celtc

Mcpakeisgod
14-05-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm quite good pals with a lad who done this . Was a hibby up until the age of around 11, then decided to convert to them . Turned into a right bellend on derby days . Ross hood. Named and shamed

Diclonius
14-05-2013, 01:36 PM
The Hearts guy you don't know, he was from Pinkie, but I think you knew D. Bourhill (?). He was the Lesser Green changee.

EDIT: After he changed, his family became famous (notorious?) for having four brothers supporting, in order of age: Hearts, Hibs, Rangers, Celtc

That's unreal.

HIBERNIAN-0762
14-05-2013, 01:52 PM
I remember Marinello playing for them, but not aware of any connection with Peter Cormack?

It's in his book

superfurryhibby
14-05-2013, 03:24 PM
It's in his book

Go on, elaborate? I'm guessing he was a Jambo as a boy?

14-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Yup he was a Hibs fan. Told me at new year that he'd kiss the Hearts badge if he ever scores against us.

B*****d.

How anyone can go from supporting hibs to kissing a hearts badge is beyond me. Even the thought of kissing that horrible, turd coloured badge makes my stomach turn.

Bristolhibby
14-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Has anyone even put a Hearts, Rangers or England shirt on?

I was bricking it on my stag do that my best men (English) were going to dress me up in a full England kit.

Thankfully they didn't.

I couldn't think of anything worse.

I remember a charity doing a "wear the oppositions shirt to work" day.

J

14-05-2013, 03:46 PM

I was bricking it on my stag do that my best men (English) were going to dress me up in a full England kit.

Thankfully they didn't.

J

No way haha. One time though my absolute die hard jambo mate fell asleep after a heavy bevvy one night so we put a hibs top on him, needless to say he was less than impressed when he woke up the next morning lol!

edinburghhibee
14-05-2013, 03:47 PM
How anyone can go from supporting hibs to kissing a hearts badge is beyond me. Even the thought of kissing that horrible, turd coloured badge makes my stomach turn.

I did this for charity with a big jambo in my work, he had my hibs top on... It cured my hangovers though cos I can sit back and tell myself that nothing can make me feel as dirty and sick as that 3-5 seconds

truehibernian
14-05-2013, 03:57 PM
I played in a youth tournament for Hearts many many moons ago(I'm rather ashamed to admit - their silver strip era) - but given even then Hibs were and are in the blood, I could never, ever support them - ever :aok:

Hibernian Football Club enters your DNA and consumes you - there is a quote that sums up Hibernian for me - '....there are many things in life that catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart.....'

Hibs will always be in mine :agree:

Gus Fring
14-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Mine is not your typical Hibs fan tale or one that I am proud of but one that I am prepared to share.

I grew up in Leith (Lochend Park) and despite never really being in to football as a boy I always had a soft spot for Hibs, could hear the crowd on saturdays (Remember when football was played on Saturdays?) My dad was a Hearts fan back then too but he never forced it on me. I hated them even then. When I started High School every guy in my class bar one was a Rangers supporter. I had seen them batter a Hibs fan in the same year so for fear of my own life I said I was a Rangers fan and went back to not really caring about football.

I went to a pre-season match in 2007 (Bolton) after getting some free tickets and that was me hooked. Bought a season ticket for that season and I've been going ever since.

I've spoken to people who "found Jesus" and they say it changed their life. I found Hibs in 2007 and it changed mine.

HIBERNIAN-0762
14-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Go on, elaborate? I'm guessing he was a Jambo as a boy?

Yip, but soon saw the light :wink: like Smith he soon changed when he signed for us.

basehibby
14-05-2013, 05:03 PM
I know the thread is about players but I also know a guy who was a hibee and converted to a jambo when he was about 19 years old after they pumped us 5-1 at Tynecastle in 2002. What a fudd, nice enough guy but obviously very easily influenced. Pisses me off as he is a proper hearts fud these days giving it the 1902, big team etc etc. on twitter.

:shocked:Nice enough guy maybe - but such behaviour calls his character into question big style! Obviously different for players who end up playing for the other side, but for a "fan" to swap sides on the back of a bad result like that is an act of treachery - off with his heid! :chop:

jacomo
14-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Mine is not your typical Hibs fan tale or one that I am proud of but one that I am prepared to share.

I grew up in Leith (Lochend Park) and despite never really being in to football as a boy I always had a soft spot for Hibs, could hear the crowd on saturdays (Remember when football was played on Saturdays?) My dad was a Hearts fan back then too but he never forced it on me. I hated them even then. When I started High School every guy in my class bar one was a Rangers supporter. I had seen them batter a Hibs fan in the same year so for fear of my own life I said I was a Rangers fan and went back to not really caring about football.

I went to a pre-season match in 2007 (Bolton) after getting some free tickets and that was me hooked. Bought a season ticket for that season and I've been going ever since.

I've spoken to people who "found Jesus" and they say it changed their life. I found Hibs in 2007 and it changed mine.

:aok:

Not sure where your free tickets came from, but your story shows the value in clubs working hard to attract local support.

andy1875
14-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Stevie Fulton looked like a Jambo growing up as a bairn.

As he was growing up, and he became increasingly more ugly, he signed for Hearts.

An ugly man for a horrible ugly football club.

PS i know this is mostly unrelated, I couldn't help myself :greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
14-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Have to confess to being a bit of a glory hunter. As soon as Hearts built that state-of-the-art new stand, signed those world cup stars, and won the CL, I just completely jumped ship. Yes, it's frivilous, I know, but some of us are just absolute suckers for the high life.

Were there 399,999 fellow Jambos waiting to welcome you into the parallel universe? :greengrin

Franck Stanton
14-05-2013, 06:16 PM

Thankfully they didn't.

J
Nope, and it cost me £68 to avoid doing so. Was at a works charity doo and you had to bid to make someone do something for you, you know the type of thing - slave for a day, have a bricky build a wall, a plumber fix your leaky tap etc, when it was my turn some tube came up with the idea of me having my fottie taken wearing a hertz strip [they all knew I am a Hibby], well the bidding started and I told the better half that she had better win the bidding which ,thankfully she did and I escaped the embarrassment of walking out and refusing to even touch the rag as I wouldn't have worn it in the first place.

Gus Fring
14-05-2013, 06:34 PM
:aok:

Not sure where your free tickets came from, but your story shows the value in clubs working hard to attract local support.

They were from a mate who couldn't go but I agree 100%. Not saying they should do freebies or anything but regular cheap games for adults is a good way of showing people football isn't as bad as it's made out on TV.

Hibrandenburg
14-05-2013, 07:18 PM

Ah well, if you can't extend the gene pool then at least extend the team pool.

Woody70x2
14-05-2013, 07:46 PM
I am Spartacus and I support both Hibs and Hearts.