PDA

View Full Version : Defence

pontius pilate
12-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Given the way the back 4 played today ( not that there was much of a threat) how/what/who would you replace in the upcoming league games? I personally would prob stick with the back 4 we had today in fact I'd go as far to say play this team upto and including the final. The younger ayers are showing the hunger and show no fear the older players are there to bring stability and Jorge and super Leigh have the skill factor.
Just my thoughts mind I'd prob make KT captain for the final

fife hfc
12-05-2013, 07:44 PM
No chance. Don't get carried away but we missed Mcpake defending corners and Mcgivern. Stevenson and forster played very well but we need both of them back to add height defending cross balls. I would play forster in the last two games and if mcgivern is injured for the final I would not be worried about lewis apart from the lack of height at set pieces. Forster is one for the future and hopefully gets more games next season.

Northernhibee
12-05-2013, 07:59 PM
There's clearly been something wrong with McPake this season and he's been horrific in the second half of this season; I'd 100% start either Forster or McGivern at CB ahead of him as we just can't rely on him in the final. Gives him plenty time to rest and recouperate ready for next season too.

If we stay injury free, this is what I'd play in the final:

Williams
Maybury McGivern Hanlon Stevenson
Harris Thomson Claros Handling
Caldwell Griffiths

Subs: Grant, Forster, Wotherspoon, Taiwo, Doyle

truehibernian
12-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Couple of shaky moments but they played well for a defence that could best be described as makeshift today,

The defending started from the top, with Leigh, Ross and Alex all chasing balls down, lost cause balls, forcing throws deep in their half rather than allowing them time to get it forward. I think Harris is a quite superb outlet in that his only thought (often) is to drive forward - he literally glides on the ball, it looks effortless. Head never goes down, always wanting the ball - that is what has been missing in derbies from us in my opinion. You saw Hearts continually standing off him - they were scared of him.

If Pat can get a wide man with pace and similar skills for the other flank, we will have some real optimism for next season's side being more attack minded and far more dynamic. Teams will start to double up on Alex - a tactic which also works in our favour if we have attack minded, quick midfielders who can run into the spaces.

I also hope that Hearts retain Locke and Murray for a long long time - they are hopelessly out of their depth :greengrin:agree:.

pontius pilate
12-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Could the admins please merge this with the thread back four for the final please

AlbertK86
12-05-2013, 08:10 PM
My back four for final

Clancy Although if not fully fit Maybury has been an able replacement

McPake .... Think memory of last year will spur him and ensure he is right up for it

Hanlon

McGivern - Lewis has done ok but he gave the ball away a awful lot and his height worries me. Teams have clearly targeted going over the top of him..... McGivern has been and is a class above

Albanian Hibs
12-05-2013, 08:13 PM
There's clearly been something wrong with McPake this season and he's been horrific in the second half of this season; I'd 100% start either Forster or McGivern at CB ahead of him as we just can't rely on him in the final. Gives him plenty time to rest and recouperate ready for next season too.

If we stay injury free, this is what I'd play in the final:

Williams
Maybury McGivern Hanlon Stevenson
Harris Thomson Claros Handling
Caldwell Griffiths

Subs: Grant, Forster, Wotherspoon, Taiwo, Doyle

What has Taiwo done wrong to be dropped??

Northernhibee
12-05-2013, 08:18 PM
What has Taiwo done wrong to be dropped??

No matter who we pick we're going to have to make some very, very difficult choices on who makes the team or the bench. Taiwo has been superb but KT's experience and leadership in midfield just and no more edges it for me.

neil7908
12-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Couple of shaky moments but they played well for a defence that could best be described as makeshift today,

The defending started from the top, with Leigh, Ross and Alex all chasing balls down, lost cause balls, forcing throws deep in their half rather than allowing them time to get it forward. I think Harris is a quite superb outlet in that his only thought (often) is to drive forward - he literally glides on the ball, it looks effortless. Head never goes down, always wanting the ball - that is what has been missing in derbies from us in my opinion. You saw Hearts continually standing off him - they were scared of him.

If Pat can get a wide man with pace and similar skills for the other flank, we will have some real optimism for next season's side being more attack minded and far more dynamic. Teams will start to double up on Alex - a tactic which also works in our favour if we have attack minded, quick midfielders who can run into the spaces.

I also hope that Hearts retain Locke and Murray for a long long time - they are hopelessly out of their depth :greengrin:agree:.

I think this is really important for us. Young players like Harris will have bad patches in their form, get injured etc and we cant start relying on them or expect them to perform brilliantly every game. Its vital go get a bit of competition in the team and what he's given us (a vibrant, fast, direct attacking presence from midfield) has been missing in our squad for a good wee while and something that frankly, you just cant have enough of.

One of the best things we can also do to support young players is get in better players in alongside them. The danger is we start to give the ball to Harris, Griffiths etc and just expect things to happen. We need to have other outlets and players helping them out. Some of our best form earlier in the season was when we had Cairney, Wotherspoon and Claros combining well in midfield - for some reason this disappeared towards the turn of the year and we've suffered ever since.

neil7908
12-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Back on the topic, I think the defence is a difficult call to make. I would have McGivern back in at LB, Clancy for me looked good earlier this year but since his injury hasnt been the same - a toss up between him and Maybury tbh.

At centre half I think Forster deserves a chance to stake his claim in the side for the final. That doesn't mean McPake should definitely not be brought back in but I think with McPakes poor form and Forster looking pretty assured on his debut, its worth letting him keep his place for at least the next game.

To put is bluntly, I dont think McPake has a right to step back into the team just because he is captain. His form hasnt been great and he needs to prove he's the best CB (or at least in the top 2) and get his place back on form alone, not based on the captaincy or what he did last season.

Forster has come in and played in a derby on his debut and coped admirably - who's to say he'd be overawed by playing in the final??

McD
12-05-2013, 08:50 PM
I think this is really important for us. Young players like Harris will have bad patches in their form, get injured etc and we cant start relying on them or expect them to perform brilliantly every game. Its vital go get a bit of competition in the team and what he's given us (a vibrant, fast, direct attacking presence from midfield) has been missing in our squad for a good wee while and something that frankly, you just cant have enough of.

One of the best things we can also do to support young players is get in better players in alongside them. The danger is we start to give the ball to Harris, Griffiths etc and just expect things to happen. We need to have other outlets and players helping them out. Some of our best form earlier in the season was when we had Cairney, Wotherspoon and Claros combining well in midfield - for some reason this disappeared towards the turn of the year and we've suffered ever since.

Speaking of cairney, does anyone know what's happening with him?

as an aside, I'm sure I've seen him at the swimming pool/sauna in Bathgate, which is about 2 minutes from mayburys house as well

Humo
12-05-2013, 08:53 PM
McPake has shown in recent games he is going through a really bad spell. McGivern's passes are a lot better than stevensons (set up harris's goal and harris's assist against killie and falkirk) and so with that in mind i would go

Maybury/Clancy depends who does better in the upcoming games (maybury is winning so far) Hanlon Forester Mcgivern but there are still places to be fought for and so anything can change in the next 2 games

allezsauzee
12-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Clancy McPake Hanlon McGivern is our first choice defence when they are all fully fit